• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 20, 2019
5.7

1. Oct 21, 2019
    This is Watchmen in name only. This first epsiode is boring, incoherent, breaks continuity (if you believe it is a sequel not a reboot) and full of 'member berries. The only other thing it does is pound home that "Racism & Police Brutality" bad, except we are the choir and know that already. How this made it to series is beyond comprehension.
  2. Oct 24, 2019
    I watched the 1st episode and had enough.
    The show is basically an Antifa power fantasy.
    The villains are portrayed as uneducated white people, and the good guys as masked people that are unofficially supported by the law enforcement. There is very little room for other interpretations, as the "good guys" basically represent Antifa. Oh, and get this, there is some sort of
    I watched the 1st episode and had enough.
    The show is basically an Antifa power fantasy.

Oh, and get this, there is some sort of presidential candidate in the show, that wants to change things such as a 6 months waiting period on buying guns. So basically we got a conservative presidential candidate that is considered a bad guy by the movie's writers. Oh, look, they shoved a Trump stand-in into the narrative.

The show also has nothing to do with the actual Watchmen story, it's just names thrown into the same universe.

Overall, the show is overtly and disgustingly WOKE AND POLITICAL.
    But that wouldn't have been its biggest problem, if the show was actually interesting. It's not, it's boring as **** !

The show should be named "Wokemen". YUCK!
  3. Oct 20, 2019
    Like a low budget, poorly paced Netflix show, filled to the brim with divisive identity-based politics no more original in presentation, caricatures and themes than the dozens of other such shows infesting modern entertainment with killjoy finger-wagging pandering that ironically worsens, inflames and affirms otherness in the guise of raising awareness/being brave. And to anyone remotely aLike a low budget, poorly paced Netflix show, filled to the brim with divisive identity-based politics no more original in presentation, caricatures and themes than the dozens of other such shows infesting modern entertainment with killjoy finger-wagging pandering that ironically worsens, inflames and affirms otherness in the guise of raising awareness/being brave. And to anyone remotely a fan of the original Watchmen, this is a travesty. Expand
  4. Oct 21, 2019
    Total garbage. This is a show made by the extreme left for the extreme left. Watcher beware.
  5. Oct 21, 2019
    As a fan of Watchmen the movie, hoped more of the same goodness - interesting and dark plot with "realistic" (anti)superheros. Instead, we got boring, cheap, police drama.. Where are the superheros? Ok, there was Dr. Manhattan in all 6x2 pixel glory on Mars - maybe he will spice up things in next episodes, but i seriously doubt it. Compared with (similar themed) The Boys - latter is vastlyAs a fan of Watchmen the movie, hoped more of the same goodness - interesting and dark plot with "realistic" (anti)superheros. Instead, we got boring, cheap, police drama.. Where are the superheros? Ok, there was Dr. Manhattan in all 6x2 pixel glory on Mars - maybe he will spice up things in next episodes, but i seriously doubt it. Compared with (similar themed) The Boys - latter is vastly superior in every aspect. Expand
  6. Oct 20, 2019
    This series is Watchman in name only. It has none of the complex themes about morality and justice and the complex characters and morally complex characters that made Alan Moore's story arguably the greatest graphic novel of all time.

The Series ditches the themes of the graphic novel, and its instead about of "woke" propaganda that we've seen already countless times. Whereas the comic didn't have the typical Heroes and Villains of a normal story, the main villains of the Comic are the Evil White Supremacist Group called the Calvary. The Calvary go around with masks reminiscent of the comic's character Rorschach. I found this to be very frustrating and annoying, because although he was very conservative, Rorschach was not racist or a White Supremacist, and yet they make it seem like he is in this series.

Of course the Reviewers in the Media will love the "Woke" Globo-Homo themes over the themes that made the original Graphic Novel so Unique.
  7. Oct 20, 2019
    ugh... this is just another propaganda tv show... they turned watchmen into another nonsensual story about genders and racism that has nothing to do with an original comics. Thanks i will pass the rest. Just another piece that trys to bait reviewers and drive wedge into the society... BIG NO
  8. Oct 20, 2019
    Did they really have to choose the Watchmen franchise to make just another modern propaganda piece? This show has nothing to do with the original comic or movie. The original was not about race or gender, it was about superheroes/role models being corrupt with their "sainthood" being just a marketing illusion. It was a stylish take on the "who watches the watchers" question. This show,Did they really have to choose the Watchmen franchise to make just another modern propaganda piece? This show has nothing to do with the original comic or movie. The original was not about race or gender, it was about superheroes/role models being corrupt with their "sainthood" being just a marketing illusion. It was a stylish take on the "who watches the watchers" question. This show, however, is modern politics and propaganda lightly sprinkled with "iconic superhero lore" for better sales. Expand
  9. Oct 26, 2019
    This series is an absolute garbage. Don't bother watch it. This is the wokest thing hollywood has pull so far for pandering the extreme liberals and it worked on these stupid audiences as well. I wanted to add give The Boys a chance, as well as Good Omens which is apolitical.
  10. Oct 21, 2019
    It's just kind of twee and boring. There's a bunch of left wing activist political tropes, there's some masks, some stuff is happening. I don't know, who cares? I thought this might be interesting but it's just kind of silly.
  11. Oct 20, 2019
    They absolutely destroyed all the magic behind the Watchmen universe, introducing a lot of shallow politics discussions above the TV Show. Happily is just one time show.
  12. Oct 20, 2019
    Watchmen (2019) is very well shot, well acted, and well scored. Thematically, it's nothing like the original graphic novel released in 1986. This show uses the backdrop of Watchmen in order to push its own themes of race relations in the American south in an alternate history with some continuity from the graphic novel. I would be weary of any television show or film that pushes divisiveWatchmen (2019) is very well shot, well acted, and well scored. Thematically, it's nothing like the original graphic novel released in 1986. This show uses the backdrop of Watchmen in order to push its own themes of race relations in the American south in an alternate history with some continuity from the graphic novel. I would be weary of any television show or film that pushes divisive and politically charged themes in order to preach to the viewer. Time and time again, television and film in our current political climate has become about how to best use the medium as a vehicle in order to further political messages. Many prominent franchises of super hero films, science fiction television shows, and fantasy films have been co-opted to further socio-political goals. And it's very unfortunate that Watchmen has been compromised in the same manner. If you the viewer don't want to be painfully proselytized to then I would avoid Watchmen. It's another "woke" television show concerned more with politics than world building. Expand
  13. Oct 20, 2019
    Hamfisted woke garbage that wine aunts and affluent liberals will pleasure themselves to
  14. Oct 20, 2019
    Bizarre. Boring. Pointless. Trash. I wanted to like this show, but it was horrible.
  15. Oct 20, 2019
    Saw pilot at NYCC, one of the best in ages. Hoping they don't pull a Lost with the finale lol
  16. Nov 19, 2019
    Im happy I didnt spend a dime acquiring the first episode of this SJW "black heroes against the evil whites" show. I sat through half of the episode and wow does the writers have a hatred for white people. SJW propaganda show of the year.... I gave it a 2-rating instead of 1, since production value seems high (but only thing that proves is that they spend more money on production). But noIm happy I didnt spend a dime acquiring the first episode of this SJW "black heroes against the evil whites" show. I sat through half of the episode and wow does the writers have a hatred for white people. SJW propaganda show of the year.... I gave it a 2-rating instead of 1, since production value seems high (but only thing that proves is that they spend more money on production). But no way im gonna spend more time watching this when the writers clearly want me to feel perpetually guilty for something I never did just because of my white skin color. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2019
    Wanted to like it, was looking forward to it but the show is very underwhelming. Disappointed.
  18. Oct 31, 2019
    This show is cringey and vert dull. Fight scenes are a joke and the story is just full of stupid nods and winks. Just tired of this format of show.
  19. Nov 1, 2019
    There's nothing about this show that is remotely close to it being a "comic book". They adapted "Watchmen" just so they could use names, places, and events from Alan Moore's brilliantly designed comic book universe.

I RARELY write negative reviews about anything I dislike but Damon Lindelof's "Watchmen" is the hottest piece of garbage I have ever seen. HBO's "Watchmen" is an

HBO's "Watchmen" is an injustice to the original comic book and Zack Snyder's adaptation.

I hope this show gets canceled immediately.
  20. Oct 31, 2019
    Original watchmen: existential themes of morality, life, death, love, politics.

This show: racism is bad, but we're like really really pretentious about it.

**** This. Show.
  21. Oct 30, 2019
    Watchmen was unwatchable. There are some very good actors, but they are stuck/wasted in some sort of 80's telemovie.
  22. Oct 29, 2019
    Wow, what a waste of time...if you’re a fan of the comics this is NOT for you.
  23. Oct 30, 2019
    Nothing like the comic or movie, Moore didn't even approve of this trash. Only giving it 3 cause cinematography is nice.
  24. Oct 28, 2019
    This show is confusing, not because it's deep or says anything that's thought provoking, it's because of tonal inconsistencies and the fact it feels nothing like the source material. This is the only piece of media I've ever seen where somebody in response to being called a nazi has replied they're a communist as a defense.
  25. Nov 7, 2019
    This show is bad. The actors are bad. The director and writers are bad and HBO should feel suicidal for greenlighting something that rapes the source material so violently and unrepentantly. Social justice is boring and passé. It's a form of virtue-signaling self-masturbation for actors and film crews and is no substitute for good writing or actual effort; yet the clowns heading this showThis show is bad. The actors are bad. The director and writers are bad and HBO should feel suicidal for greenlighting something that rapes the source material so violently and unrepentantly. Social justice is boring and passé. It's a form of virtue-signaling self-masturbation for actors and film crews and is no substitute for good writing or actual effort; yet the clowns heading this show put it front and center in every episode. Only the most untalented hacks in the increasingly destitute film and television "business" would fall on it as a last resort to find a lowest-common denominator audience in the ironically "woke" sheep known as "leftists". Every drool-dispensing self-masturbatory charlatan even remotely involved with this project deserves to hear the phrase: "you'll never work in Hollywood again" after this trainwreck shoots through its inevitable cancellation. Expand
  26. Nov 6, 2019
    Very bad series, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring
  27. Oct 24, 2019
    I've read the comic, saw the movie and expected something in the general direction of those two. Unfortunately, the TV show is just a well directed anti-racist drama, in an alternative 2019, with a predictable and overplayed scenario. Not interesting at all, it won't keep me past the first episode.
  28. Oct 23, 2019
    For those of us who grew up enthralled with Alan Moore's graphic novel masterpiece, Zach Snyder's 2009 film adaptation was a thin but valiant attempt to bring the work to life. The acting was hit and miss, but the visual effects were stunning. And it did it's best to stay true to the original work.

I'm not sure what this is but it's not Watchmen in spirit or story. So, within the first 10 mins, I gave up expecting Watchmen and hoped for another series like Westworld. Even that didn't happen. It's Sci-Fi without any desire to be cogent. It's Western without a hero to root for. It's a TV show with one less viewer.
  29. Nov 10, 2019
    Commits the cardinal sin of a TV show. Being boring and unwatchable. The shows only saving grace is its soundtrack. Wont make it to season 2 with lukewarm reception and over priced budget.
  30. Oct 21, 2019
    I'm on the fence about the first episode I just streamed. Like many have said, well set in the Watchmen alternate universe it had really very little to do with the original Watchmen IP, both graphic novels or movie. It uses the Watchmen universe as a jumping off point for its own story and world building.

Is that a bad thing? No I don't think so, not really. Nor do I see it as a

Is that a bad thing? No I don't think so, not really. Nor do I see it as a propaganda piece as some posters are suggesting. Artistic endeavors will always reflect the times they're created in to some degree. Early superheros were bastions of good and righteousness and were a reflection of their times. In turn later heros were more gritty and human, some even heavily flawed as the Watchmen were, reflecting the general mistrust of institutions and the symbols they employed.

The current story is understandable and relatable as it reflects the current polarization between alt-right and alt-left forces in society in an interesting way. So I don't have any problem with the storyline so far, and found it quite entertaining. But setting it in the Watchmen universe doesn't really make it the Watchmen regardless of how well done or relevant it is. IMHO it's more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

And that's why I'm on the fence. On its own it's fine and well worth the watch, with a compelling story and great acting. As a continuation of the Watchmen canon it falls a bit flat and does seem like it's attempting to piggyback on the Watchmen's fame. If they'd called it anything else with the understanding it was set in the Watchmen universe I'd given it an 8 or 9. As it stands the best I can do is a 6 because I can't help but feel I'm being manipulated into watching it.
  31. Oct 21, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WINO - Watchmen in name only. They oy use the watchmen mythology superficially to tell a whole different story. Expand
  32. Nov 6, 2019
    Yeah, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make movies anymore, its just a big propaganda shop for the retarded socialism and braindead woke nazis. Its a disgrace to the watchmen series GET WOKE GO BROKE
  33. Nov 7, 2019
    Watchmen who are impossible to watch.
    Why be called the original title of a great comic book - when you could just call it " Black woman vs. white fanatics"
  34. Oct 25, 2019
    I can't believe they did this to the source material! Who is HBO trying to please? Twitter activists? What about the fandom, The people that actually enjoy the art? Such a waste! The production value is amazing, the directing is great. But it all falls to the ground because the story is terrible.
  35. Oct 24, 2019
    I'm pretty disappointed about this show, had such high hopes going in. Just feel like this isn't watchmen at all but some weird spinoff with no depth.
  36. Oct 25, 2019
    This show reminds me more of Supergirl or season 3 of Young Justice than the Watchmen movie. Pretty interesting to see that they are really poking you in the eyes with "Racism is bad" and "Police violence is bad" in a franchise that originally started out as a criticism against superheroes.
  37. Oct 27, 2019
    Love the First episode. I understand the frustration of cómic Book funs with the polítical and racial tensión. Hope Will mix it with more fantástical elementos in the future
  38. Nov 5, 2019
    I'm giving a 1, because of 2 reasons:
    1. It has NOTHING to do with Watchmen. It's baiting. This is a show about cops chasing white supremacists in country settings. Shameful false advertising to tie it to Watchmen comic book. If you wanna build a following, do it with good writing and good acting, creators.
    I'm giving a 1, because of 2 reasons:
    2. The plot is outrageous. Literally - it's manufactured to outrage and apply to our lowest instincts. It creates unnatural, improbable world of extremely racist people to invoke some moral lessons about real (i.e. completely different, non-black-and-white) world.
    Handmaiden's tale is the same thing for women's dystopia.
    Camp of the Saints is the same thing for actual racists dystopia.

All these stories are bad storytelling and frankly little different from populist demagogy.
  39. Nov 8, 2019
    The show makes the Snyder watchmen movie look like a goddam masterpiece. Not worth your time
  40. Nov 4, 2019
    Absolutely one of the most terrible shows of the year. The plot is weak and also very confusing, with no memorable characters. It also feels like a sequel. To what? I don’t know because i watched the 2009 movie and read the comic book and it doesn’t seem like a sequel to neither of those
  41. Nov 14, 2019
    Netflix 2.0. Focusing on SJW motvies without much of a plot mixed with OK acting. Thank you AT&T for ruining HBO....
  42. Nov 9, 2019
    Mediocre. Def a step down from Alan Moore’s original inspiration material, I think. Making it so much about race is often boring. The Prestige rip is not shocking the way it’s meant to be shocking. I wish Oklahoma was only one setting and not the main setting. Possibly a lot is lost there IMO.
  43. Nov 6, 2019
    This show isn't done yet so I may update this, but so far its got some good mystery, world-building, and cinematography and I like it.
  44. Oct 28, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second episode was a vast improvement over the first, so I'm bumping this up to a 7. I like the feel of the show more but It is still really bothersome to me how the creators decided to shoehorn in elements of the original in such hamfisted ways.

It is frustrating as a fan of Alan Moore's work that the creator of this show doesn't seem to really understand the characters from the original series or their fairly complex motivations.....There have been some really cringe-worthy moments where dialogue is borrowed from the graphic novel in situations that are not appropriate for it according to the meaning of what was said....

For instance, something Rorschach said that gets repeated by the Cavalry in ep. 1 (Someday all the pimps and whores, etc. will ask for my help and I will say no) made no sense in the context of a bunch of cop murdering racists who are angry because of their loss of status in society. In the series, that comment was meant to illustrate Rorschach's deluded belief that he was some kind of morally superior guardian of truth and justice who hated the imperfections of others he saw around him and believed that without people like him society would crumble. The Cavalry doesn't seem to view itself the way Rorschach viewed himself at all, so this made no sense: They are not mad about a perceived moral decay, they are mad about their loss of status.

In episode 2 this happened again with a quote from Dr. Manhattan ("There are no ends") which was completely out of context and really made no sense in that moment, although it was the last thing Dr. Manhattan said to Adrian Veidt. This quote in the original series was meant to expose the flaw in Adrian Veidt's ends-justify-means rationalization for mass murder to prevent humanity from destroying itself. It had absolutely no bearing on the moment in the television episode....

Further, Adrian Veidt is now portrayed as an insane sociopath who murders his servants for no reason when he was nothing like that in the comic. Adrian Veidt was a murderer for sure but he only killed when it was necessary to fulfill his goals. He seemed to regret having to kill people but he sincerely believed that some people had to die to save everyone else and the ends therefore justified the means. He was a strict utilitarian in that sense, he really thought he was providing for the common good of the many by killing, not a sadist. It is bizarre to cast him as completely insane now 30 yrs later with no explanation.

The other aspects of the show are pretty good. It is well shot and I can see that the show is trying to update the social commentary of the Watchmen to the present moment in important ways which it has captured fairly well. Which is why so many people are mad about it. I am really bothered by the treatment of the source material and the oversimplification of that source material to the point where it takes me out of the show.
  45. Oct 24, 2019
    If you want to watch a show that's has the same spirit of WATCHMEN with a flair that matches the film, I highly recommend The Boys on Amazon. It has an amazing out-of-left-field-didn't-see-that-coming cliffhanger season finale.
  46. Oct 27, 2019
    Show is boring and trite. They tried to turn a great comic into woke left fantasy.
  47. Oct 24, 2019
    It doesn't deserve a zero as a few of the more defensive fascists here would like to reactively label it based on its obvious race-relations commentary. But that aside it seems to be a decidedly below average show. Based on the premier it is poorly scripted, the storytelling is unimaginative and incoherent, and it has almost nothing do with the Watchmen universe aside from borrowing a fewIt doesn't deserve a zero as a few of the more defensive fascists here would like to reactively label it based on its obvious race-relations commentary. But that aside it seems to be a decidedly below average show. Based on the premier it is poorly scripted, the storytelling is unimaginative and incoherent, and it has almost nothing do with the Watchmen universe aside from borrowing a few identifying images, lines, and characters of the series which it hamfistedly shoehorns into a listless cop narrative. I can't think of a better way to alienate people who were attracted to this show because they were expecting something t Expand
  48. Oct 28, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first episode was garbage and I will not be watching any more. They are just taking the interesting and good parts of the comic and blandly shoehorning them into the story. What crap writer came up with the cops chanting “who watches he’s the watchmen” in Latin? Lame. While that’s a minor theme in the comic it’s out of place here. The rehashing and paraphrasing Rorschach’s best journal entry for the terrorist was awful. And the idea of cops letting anyone, ANYONE in a mask stroll up to their precinct is f@#king dumb. The only thing that was interesting at all that was the nod to the comic of the squids falling from the sky much like the fake “alien” attack. Expand
  49. Nov 3, 2019
    Its not watchmen, its huwhite man bad preachy BS so if that's your thing go for it but most anti-racist people of sound mental health will not enjoy this very much, same old woke racist garbage.
  50. Oct 29, 2019
    With this show Lindelof shows that he doesn't have the discipline, self-restraint and vision to create a TV show to adapt ideas other than himself .
    In Lost he mixed philosophical ideas that he clearly only superficially understands to create an aura of self-importance. The premisses were at least tantalizing and the production top-notch.
    In the Leftovers, a show which I enjoyed, he went
    In the Leftovers, a show which I enjoyed, he went into a full surrealistic bend, that yielded some great episodes, thanks to superior production values again. However , one must acknowledge that most of it was sophomoric nonsense.
    With Watchmen, he can't bring himself to adhere to the limitations that the original story forces him to consider. A bit like a student who doesn't want to answer the question in the essay but runs wild with his own -very stupid- ideas.
    Case in point: The story of the German attempts to undermine the morale of black soldiers. To think that some of the best educated soldiers (which is the case of the protagonist) would seriously consider the propaganda is patronizing and insulting.
  51. Nov 4, 2019
    Don't waste your time on this. The movie wasn't perfect but it was 1000% better than this garbage.
  52. Oct 31, 2019
    Like the movie but this kind of boring and hard to get in to it. It also have a kind crazy stereotypes that I though we got past in this day and age. I can see this inciting a group of people to hate another group.
  53. Nov 4, 2019
    If you are looking for by the book sequel (as apparently many of the denizens of the internet are), I would encourage you to skip this program and purchase a ticket to the next Transformers film. HBO made a near perfect decision in placing Damon Lindelof as showrunner as he adds to the universe in inspired ways, while maintaining an original and unique take (apparently a lower priority forIf you are looking for by the book sequel (as apparently many of the denizens of the internet are), I would encourage you to skip this program and purchase a ticket to the next Transformers film. HBO made a near perfect decision in placing Damon Lindelof as showrunner as he adds to the universe in inspired ways, while maintaining an original and unique take (apparently a lower priority for some). HBO production values, amazing ensemble cast and Trent Reznor soundtrack make this one of the best new shows in recent memory. Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2019
    I don't get why it's called Watchmen, it could have been a great original story but instead they tried to ham-fist it with the Watchmen and fail at both at the same time, that's a shame too I kinda like Angela Abar.

If it wasn't called Watchmen I would probably given a better score(6-7).
  55. Oct 25, 2019
    Worth a shot if you are interested in an alternate present based on a continuation from the events of the comics. If you aren't familiar with the comics, you likely will be a little befuddled but might still enjoy piecing together what is going on. If you are open to a work that is inherently political and allegorical, this is for you. If not, give it a pass. And if you can't stand someWorth a shot if you are interested in an alternate present based on a continuation from the events of the comics. If you aren't familiar with the comics, you likely will be a little befuddled but might still enjoy piecing together what is going on. If you are open to a work that is inherently political and allegorical, this is for you. If not, give it a pass. And if you can't stand some politics in your media but are a rabid fan of Watchmen, you didn't pay attention to the comics. Expand
  56. Oct 26, 2019
    Oh, dear, people are unhappy about their comics being too left-leaning again.

Oh, dear, people are unhappy about their comics being too left-leaning again.

The CW’s Batwoman was initially getting review bombed by a bunch of people (because … women and gays? Not in my Gotham!) and now that trend has continued with HBO’s Watchmen series, which premiered this weekend. According to CBR, the show has a 93% Fresh rating from critics but is scored at 49% by audiences. Of course, there are those with legitimate criticism of the series—as I have my own—but many other complaints are about the show’s perceived “politically correct” narrative and it being “too woke,” upset that this new series has a very political stance.

Except that, you know, the original comic by Alan Moore is super political, left-leaning, and was created to mock a lot of things. But you know, people don’t actually like to think about it, especially when it comes to one character in particular: Rorschach, Ted Cruz’s favorite.

In the show, there is a white supremacist group called the “Seventh Kavalry” in Tulsa that has taken to Rorschach’s black-and-white mask, and they are acting up in response to President Robert Redford’s push to implement reparations to those affected by past racial injustices. That absolutely makes sense, since Rorschach, in the comics, is outwardly (checks the list) racist, homophobic, sexist, and a total and complete fascist. Alan Moore literally wrote him to make fun of The Question, Mr. A, and a bunch of other Steve Ditko comic characters that the artist/writer used to promote his Ayn Randian ideals.

Watchmen has always been about taking the idea of superheroes to its natural conclusion with the events in world history. That’s why, at least from my perspective, the issue of reparations makes sense in this context. For the first time in a long time, that is a serious topic of debate, and with the presidency something you can do for unlimited terms in the world of Watchmen, a president, especially a popular one, could tackle that kind of legislation. In a place like Tulsa, which has always had a racial divide and dark history of white inhabitants being antagonistic when their Black counterparts make it, this just seems like the natural conclusion—especially when Rorschach’s journals were shared with the equivalent of Breitbart News.

These white supremacists are the logical conclusion to his rhetoric.

Does that mean you’re a white supremacist if that was your favorite character in the comics? No … unless you actually are a white supremacist. Rorschach is an interesting character because Alan Moore is a good writer and knows how to teach without preaching. His work is layered and thoughtful but also filled with clear intent. From what I have watched of the show, while it isn’t perfect, I’m willing to give Damon Lindelof room to tell the story as long as he does the same. Well, as much room as you can give a former Lost showrunner, but that’s a whole different kettle of alien squid.

Still, more than anything, I wish that audience reviews stopped being a way for people to drag something for being “too woke,” because it creates bad faith for everyone. We are allowed to have different tastes and have our political leaning affect out taste, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be fair.
  57. Oct 28, 2019
    There's way more to this show than what appears on the surface. Really fascinated with the direction, and with anyone saying that this show is too political...dude, the book was super political. The ugly side of extreme ideologies is the center of the show, and I cant wait to see what happens next.
  58. Oct 29, 2019
    Love the show! 2 episodes in and I am hooked. Regina King as an action hero is fulfilling. The imagining of the world post- Watchmen (the movie) is plausible given the fractured state of domestic politics in the U.S., namely the rise of jingoism and xenophobia. The rant of the right on the screen and from critics panning it is art reflecting life, and then life imitating art; this makesLove the show! 2 episodes in and I am hooked. Regina King as an action hero is fulfilling. The imagining of the world post- Watchmen (the movie) is plausible given the fractured state of domestic politics in the U.S., namely the rise of jingoism and xenophobia. The rant of the right on the screen and from critics panning it is art reflecting life, and then life imitating art; this makes the point of the show, sadly. Expand
  59. Oct 20, 2019
    While i can't sit here and speak for the series as a whole I can state that contrary to what so many people seem to be saying, this isn't propaganda. This is a story about a reality different from our own that handled it's issues of racism differently than we did, no political agenda is being pushed. This show isn't stating or trying to make you believe that white people are bad orWhile i can't sit here and speak for the series as a whole I can state that contrary to what so many people seem to be saying, this isn't propaganda. This is a story about a reality different from our own that handled it's issues of racism differently than we did, no political agenda is being pushed. This show isn't stating or trying to make you believe that white people are bad or conservatism is bad it's just a TV show that that uses themes of racism as a tool to tell a story (at least so far). This also isn't a direct sequel to watchmen it's just a story that takes place in that universe or maybe even in a universe that Dr. Manhattan created on a whim. Doesn't really matter, the point is that this show is justified in being thematically different from the book, a story about a different group of people, in a different time, and possibly in a whole different reality, should face their own slew of problems and challenges. I could go on but I don't think my words are that profound or interesting so i'll stop. just seemed like common sense to me and felt like saying something. Expand
  60. Oct 20, 2019
    A incredible series, with incredible actors and one big history to tell. The atmosphere and the mistery move the serie to another world. Wonderfull.
  61. Nov 3, 2019
    Woke trash full of left wing agitprops, plenty of good tv series that aren't propaganda so don't waste your time on this.
  62. Nov 4, 2019
    This IS NOT a sequel to the movie. It is a direct sequel to the comic book maxi-series. Some great call backs to the books and tons of Easter eggs. I love the fact we live in a time where a big budget HBO series is a sequel of a comic book and not the movie.
  63. Nov 14, 2019
    as a fan of the movie and graphic novel i was looking forward to this show. huge disappointing mess and i don't mean the squid.
  64. Nov 9, 2019
    Wasn't too sure if I liked it after watching the first episode, but episode two pulled me in and this show is amazing!
  65. Nov 13, 2019
    I do not care that it's not following the comics, I love the novelty of it! I actually look forward to new episodes and so far have not been disappointed! I can't stand woke culture and the forced propaganda Hollywood puts in stuff nowadays, but I don't actually feel it to be the case with this show just because there is a black female lead and a white supremicist subplot.

Most of the

Most of the negative rewiews are "Derpa, derpa, its not the same as the comic book, derpa, depra" Get your head out of your behind and look at the show as a new thing with familiar elements and it's great!
  66. Oct 20, 2019
    Que primeiro episódio foda, fazia tempo que não via algo que me deixasse tão energizado na TV.
  67. Oct 26, 2019
    Worth seeing just for the historical significance of the opening scene of the first episode. After seeing the pilot, I am intrigued, impressed, confused (intentionally), and eager to see more.
  68. Oct 28, 2019
    First episode have my curiosity second have my attention. I understand that Watchmen 2019 may be hard to understand for people outside comic book community but figuring out how this world is working is great part of fun. I think it may be not acknowledged as ground breaking now but for me it is best new show for 2019.
  69. Oct 20, 2019
    Damon Lindelof’s take of Watchmen is truly unexpected in a way that will make you say wow beyond words. And there is no doubt that the scope of this TV sequel from Zack Snyder's Watchmen continues to grow even bigger thanks to the coherent direction and performances. DC Comics definitely had a fantastic year pulling off with the good times of Shazam!, a first ever Grand Prize win atDamon Lindelof’s take of Watchmen is truly unexpected in a way that will make you say wow beyond words. And there is no doubt that the scope of this TV sequel from Zack Snyder's Watchmen continues to grow even bigger thanks to the coherent direction and performances. DC Comics definitely had a fantastic year pulling off with the good times of Shazam!, a first ever Grand Prize win at Venezia 76 starring the immaculate Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, and now HBO’s new bigger hit and refreshing take with Watchmen. What an interesting time to be alive.

(For those that are downvoting this, I can understand you in a way that's more related to today's real time events. Sure, it gets tiring and really flicking repetitive at times for your own taste, but sadly, we're already living in a society that's now more vocal with this kind of stuff nowadays and the cycle won't stop until the new era in entertainment begins. Also, don't expect any heavy choreographic action like the film as this show delivers a drama that will makes viewers talk and think in a good way or in a bad way in Lindelof's Watchmen. I don't lean with either side, but I'm just that guy that wants to enjoy a movie or a show in peace for my taste like everyone else. I'm sorry if this review upsets you but I just want to slide this out of the way.)
  70. Oct 21, 2019
    Watched the movie back in the day, loved it, gets rewatched at least once a year. Last nights Premiere was excellent, but just being a pleb, what would I know, besides the fact I liked it and found it fascinating, and am eagerly looking forward to the series. Amazing seeing what sort of pushback we're seeing from the MAGA and Incel crowd, woof, doesn't bode well for when the rule of lawWatched the movie back in the day, loved it, gets rewatched at least once a year. Last nights Premiere was excellent, but just being a pleb, what would I know, besides the fact I liked it and found it fascinating, and am eagerly looking forward to the series. Amazing seeing what sort of pushback we're seeing from the MAGA and Incel crowd, woof, doesn't bode well for when the rule of law attempts to retake our fractured nation. Buy batteries, plant vegetables. Expand
  71. Oct 25, 2019
    Great pilot. For those who think that HBO's watchman is some sort of SJW power fantasy, they couldn't be more wrong. Watchman is a sci-fi show about what would happen if left wing liberals took control of the government and enacted policies to create equity, only to make the world into a dystopia. The police in this show may need permission to use their guns, but they seem to haveGreat pilot. For those who think that HBO's watchman is some sort of SJW power fantasy, they couldn't be more wrong. Watchman is a sci-fi show about what would happen if left wing liberals took control of the government and enacted policies to create equity, only to make the world into a dystopia. The police in this show may need permission to use their guns, but they seem to have unlimited authority when it comes to detaining and interrogating suspects. Fantastic sci-fi at its best. Expand
  72. Oct 27, 2019
    Com referências aos quadrinhos, boa atuação de Regina King o episódio piloto traz mistérios e nós deixa com muita duvida do que virá pela frente.
  73. Oct 25, 2019
    A fresh take from Lindelof using the framework of the original graphic novel.
  74. Oct 22, 2019
    It is very different from the Snyder version of 10 years ago, although I was a bit confused; However, I can say it was a good start, maybe it didn't start in the best way but it's worth seeing
  75. Oct 25, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brave choices thus far. Respects the essence and truth of the classic comic series. Compelling. Expand
  76. Oct 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excelente temporada una de las mejores de este año 100% reco y más si eres fan de los cómics Expand
  77. Oct 22, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm cautiously optimistic because it's such a bizarre little universe they've created. I want to see where it goes. Yes, it's obvious there's a point being made about racism, but in an alternative universe. It's an opportunity to observe race in a crucible that's outside our own reality. I'm fine with that, as long as it's done responsibly and without rancor. So far I'm not seeing any rancor. American Gods had its moments like this too, what with Mr. Nancy, which I thought was brilliant (Orlando Jones is brilliant in it too).

The preview for the rest of the season looks interesting too. The only thing that kinds yanks me out of my suspension of disbelief are the squids. I'm sure it'll be explained, but it just seems goofy now.
  78. Oct 27, 2019
    Well shot, well acted, interesting setting, tension in first episode is palpable. Really excited to see how this show plays out.
  79. Nov 5, 2019
    “Watchmen” has already provided a bounty of intelligent theories to study and debate, but it’s designed to be one helluva good time, as well."
  80. Oct 22, 2019
    Avançando a história sem apelar pra autoreferência, embora haja, em menor escala, algumas homenagens, o que é aceitável e obrigatório já que se passam no mesmo universo e uma (série) é continuidade da outra(graphic novel).
  81. Oct 21, 2019
    I'm curious as to how this show will connect back to the main comicbook. But so far so good. It'a sar better companion piece than the Doomsday Clock sequel.
  82. Oct 21, 2019
    Another brilliant and thought provoking series from the creator of Leftovers!
  83. Oct 21, 2019
    Grande episodio piloto, e novamente a HBO mostra por que é a maior produtora de séries de qualidade de todo o mundo
  84. Oct 30, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The series has been great so far. The people who are complaining about it being woke probably haven't read the graphic novel. Also other than white supremacists who has a problem with white supremacists being portrayed as the antagonists. Expand
  85. Oct 31, 2019
    This show understands the graphic novel much, much better than the movie did. Some of the extrapolations, especially around Rorschach becoming a mascot for white supremacists, are absolute spot on. It feels at once of a piece with but also interested in different things from the novel as well, which is great, nobody needs yet another paint-by-numbers superhero fetish piece.
  86. Oct 30, 2019
    I love the show, while some are concerned with racism as we deal with in reality it's still an issue. Rather the comic has racism in it or not its still a good show. I hope the show doesn't get canceled.
  87. Oct 30, 2019
    This show is amazing. It's dealing with a piece of history not taught in our schools. I like the race/gender angle because it speaks to issues of today and yesterdays.
  88. Nov 4, 2019
    This show had so many 0s and 10s i had to watch for myself. You should too. Its not The watchmen you think it is. The original takes place in 1939 while this show takes place in a parallel current day. That alone without spoilers is your only warning. Any show that takes place in the world should take into account current issues. Im really disappointing at all the nerds to can't handleThis show had so many 0s and 10s i had to watch for myself. You should too. Its not The watchmen you think it is. The original takes place in 1939 while this show takes place in a parallel current day. That alone without spoilers is your only warning. Any show that takes place in the world should take into account current issues. Im really disappointing at all the nerds to can't handle social commentary especially from a series that started as a satirical MAD magazine spinoff. lotta complaints about it pandering to liberals. But Honestly i can't see a Liberal world where Black people fight with the cops to violate folks human rights and side with nazis. I can see from a lot of these reveiws that folks didnt watch this show or didn't read the comic. The show has good and bad elements. i'm rating it a ten because thats how meta Works ether you love it or its a trash fire. In actually i'd probably give it a 8 8.5 after the first two eps. I really don't like some of the camera work, or music. Also whats with all the mentions of Good Omens and The Boys? Those are good shows but not even apples to oranges with this show more like apples to bread. They are good shows but dont need to be propped up to put down another show they are fine on their own. Expand
  89. Oct 30, 2019
    Masterful. With a great blend of action, drama and thoughtful social commentary, this season is off to a terrific start. Visually arresting. Anyone who doesn’t think the original graphic novel was political either hasn’t read or doesn’t understand it.
  90. Nov 3, 2019
    The story has been intriguing, the soundtrack on point, and the visuals absolutely stunning. Can't wait to watch more.
  91. Nov 15, 2019
    So far, so brilliant. As a fan of the work of Trent Reznor I really only tuned in to check out the score; I am pleasantly surprised with how great the show is as a whole. I tend to dislike most of anything involving superheroes, fantasy or sci-fi. There are some exceptions. The film 28 Days Later is great despite the zombies...and Game of Thrones, it’s not you, it’s me. The cast isSo far, so brilliant. As a fan of the work of Trent Reznor I really only tuned in to check out the score; I am pleasantly surprised with how great the show is as a whole. I tend to dislike most of anything involving superheroes, fantasy or sci-fi. There are some exceptions. The film 28 Days Later is great despite the zombies...and Game of Thrones, it’s not you, it’s me. The cast is awesome and I don’t mind having my imagination hang ups rested. The Bullock film Birdbox was bundles of **** and also featured a score by Reznor/Ross of Nine Inch Nails. I have no clue why I currently see a score of 5.6. It must be a purist issue; though this isn’t set in the same period as the graphic novel. If this is a 5-6 I can’t imagine what the same reviewers think of everything else streamed or broadcast at the moment. Expand
  92. Nov 17, 2019
    This is a great show. Simple. I am reading a number of the reviews on here and am pretty much feel nauseous. What is it with white folk being so upset with any piece of TV or film giving over the lead theme or role to black individuals??? It's not part of a race war!!!!! It's the "Hollywood establishment" realising that they have been predominantly racist to the advantage of white peopleThis is a great show. Simple. I am reading a number of the reviews on here and am pretty much feel nauseous. What is it with white folk being so upset with any piece of TV or film giving over the lead theme or role to black individuals??? It's not part of a race war!!!!! It's the "Hollywood establishment" realising that they have been predominantly racist to the advantage of white people since they began, and perhaps now is the time to make some amends? No, Alan Moore doesn't like it. He has never liked a single piece of work that has attempted to adapt what he saw as HIS COMICS. No, its not a direct interpretation of the original graphic novel. Get over it and expand your mind. Acknowledge that the story of black oppression is real and compelling and makes for good TV. And as much as it upsets you to see the "white dude" as the bad guy... they have been the good guy by default for waaaaaay too long, and its about time it was mixed up and made a bit grey.

Sincerely,

Some white dude

1. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Nov 6, 2019
    You may not always be sure what you're watching, but good luck taking your eyes off Watchmen. [28 Oct - 10 Nov 2019, p.8]
  2. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Oct 29, 2019
    The show is so ambitious, with its multiple timelines, storytelling structures, and perspectives, that it’s perpetually surprising.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Dawidziak
    Oct 21, 2019
    Ambitious, imaginative, provocative and engrossing. ... A triumph of style and substance, it never sacrifices pace for preaching or pontificating. At least in the first six episodes made available to critics, it remains every bit as entertaining as it is intriguing.