• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 20, 2019
5.8

1. Oct 29, 2019
    Wow, what a waste of time...if you’re a fan of the comics this is NOT for you.
  2. Oct 31, 2019
    Original watchmen: existential themes of morality, life, death, love, politics.

This show: racism is bad, but we're like really really pretentious about it.

**** This. Show.
  3. Oct 30, 2019
    Nothing like the comic or movie, Moore didn't even approve of this trash. Only giving it 3 cause cinematography is nice.
  4. Oct 24, 2019
    I've read the comic, saw the movie and expected something in the general direction of those two. Unfortunately, the TV show is just a well directed anti-racist drama, in an alternative 2019, with a predictable and overplayed scenario. Not interesting at all, it won't keep me past the first episode.
  5. Oct 30, 2019
    Watchmen was unwatchable. There are some very good actors, but they are stuck/wasted in some sort of 80's telemovie.
  6. May 4, 2020
    There's nothing about this show that is remotely close to it being a "comic book". They adapted "Watchmen" just so they could use names, places, and events from Alan Moore's brilliantly designed comic book universe.

I RARELY write negative reviews about anything I dislike but Damon Lindelof's "Watchmen" is the hottest piece of garbage I have ever seen. HBO's "Watchmen" is an

HBO's "Watchmen" is an injustice to the original comic book and Zack Snyder's adaptation.

I hope this show gets canceled immediately.

Nothing about what happens in the show makes sense. It is all written rather conveniently and non-sensically just for the sole purpose of connecting all the characters together.

Pretentious, meaningless garbage.
  7. Oct 23, 2019
    For those of us who grew up enthralled with Alan Moore's graphic novel masterpiece, Zach Snyder's 2009 film adaptation was a thin but valiant attempt to bring the work to life. The acting was hit and miss, but the visual effects were stunning. And it did it's best to stay true to the original work.

I'm not sure what this is but it's not Watchmen in spirit or story. So, within the first 10 mins, I gave up expecting Watchmen and hoped for another series like Westworld. Even that didn't happen. It's Sci-Fi without any desire to be cogent. It's Western without a hero to root for. It's a TV show with one less viewer.
  8. Oct 21, 2019
    It's just kind of twee and boring. There's a bunch of left wing activist political tropes, there's some masks, some stuff is happening. I don't know, who cares? I thought this might be interesting but it's just kind of silly.
  9. Oct 21, 2019
    As a fan of Watchmen the movie, hoped more of the same goodness - interesting and dark plot with "realistic" (anti)superheros. Instead, we got boring, cheap, police drama.. Where are the superheros? Ok, there was Dr. Manhattan in all 6x2 pixel glory on Mars - maybe he will spice up things in next episodes, but i seriously doubt it. Compared with (similar themed) The Boys - latter is vastlyAs a fan of Watchmen the movie, hoped more of the same goodness - interesting and dark plot with "realistic" (anti)superheros. Instead, we got boring, cheap, police drama.. Where are the superheros? Ok, there was Dr. Manhattan in all 6x2 pixel glory on Mars - maybe he will spice up things in next episodes, but i seriously doubt it. Compared with (similar themed) The Boys - latter is vastly superior in every aspect. Expand
  10. Oct 21, 2019
    This is Watchmen in name only. This first epsiode is boring, incoherent, breaks continuity (if you believe it is a sequel not a reboot) and full of 'member berries. The only other thing it does is pound home that "Racism & Police Brutality" bad, except we are the choir and know that already. How this made it to series is beyond comprehension.
  11. Oct 20, 2019
    This series is Watchman in name only. It has none of the complex themes about morality and justice and the complex characters and morally complex characters that made Alan Moore's story arguably the greatest graphic novel of all time.

The Series ditches the themes of the graphic novel, and its instead about of "woke" propaganda that we've seen already countless times. Whereas the comic didn't have the typical Heroes and Villains of a normal story, the main villains of the Comic are the Evil White Supremacist Group called the Calvary. The Calvary go around with masks reminiscent of the comic's character Rorschach. I found this to be very frustrating and annoying, because although he was very conservative, Rorschach was not racist or a White Supremacist, and yet they make it seem like he is in this series.

Of course the Reviewers in the Media will love the "Woke" Globo-Homo themes over the themes that made the original Graphic Novel so Unique.
  12. Oct 25, 2019
    I can't believe they did this to the source material! Who is HBO trying to please? Twitter activists? What about the fandom, The people that actually enjoy the art? Such a waste! The production value is amazing, the directing is great. But it all falls to the ground because the story is terrible.
  13. Oct 24, 2019
    I watched the 1st episode and had enough.
    The show is basically an Antifa power fantasy.
    The villains are portrayed as uneducated white people, and the good guys as masked people that are unofficially supported by the law enforcement. There is very little room for other interpretations, as the "good guys" basically represent Antifa. Oh, and get this, there is some sort of
    I watched the 1st episode and had enough.
    The show is basically an Antifa power fantasy.

Oh, and get this, there is some sort of presidential candidate in the show, that wants to change things such as a 6 months waiting period on buying guns. So basically we got a conservative presidential candidate that is considered a bad guy by the movie's writers. Oh, look, they shoved a Trump stand-in into the narrative.

The show also has nothing to do with the actual Watchmen story, it's just names thrown into the same universe.

Overall, the show is overtly and disgustingly WOKE AND POLITICAL.
    But that wouldn't have been its biggest problem, if the show was actually interesting. It's not, it's boring as **** !

The show should be named "Wokemen". YUCK!
  14. Oct 20, 2019
    Like a low budget, poorly paced Netflix show, filled to the brim with divisive identity-based politics no more original in presentation, caricatures and themes than the dozens of other such shows infesting modern entertainment with killjoy finger-wagging pandering that ironically worsens, inflames and affirms otherness in the guise of raising awareness/being brave. And to anyone remotely aLike a low budget, poorly paced Netflix show, filled to the brim with divisive identity-based politics no more original in presentation, caricatures and themes than the dozens of other such shows infesting modern entertainment with killjoy finger-wagging pandering that ironically worsens, inflames and affirms otherness in the guise of raising awareness/being brave. And to anyone remotely a fan of the original Watchmen, this is a travesty. Expand
  15. Oct 20, 2019
    Watchmen (2019) is very well shot, well acted, and well scored. Thematically, it's nothing like the original graphic novel released in 1986. This show uses the backdrop of Watchmen in order to push its own themes of race relations in the American south in an alternate history with some continuity from the graphic novel. I would be weary of any television show or film that pushes divisiveWatchmen (2019) is very well shot, well acted, and well scored. Thematically, it's nothing like the original graphic novel released in 1986. This show uses the backdrop of Watchmen in order to push its own themes of race relations in the American south in an alternate history with some continuity from the graphic novel. I would be weary of any television show or film that pushes divisive and politically charged themes in order to preach to the viewer. Time and time again, television and film in our current political climate has become about how to best use the medium as a vehicle in order to further political messages. Many prominent franchises of super hero films, science fiction television shows, and fantasy films have been co-opted to further socio-political goals. And it's very unfortunate that Watchmen has been compromised in the same manner. If you the viewer don't want to be painfully proselytized to then I would avoid Watchmen. It's another "woke" television show concerned more with politics than world building. Expand
  16. Oct 20, 2019
    ugh... this is just another propaganda tv show... they turned watchmen into another nonsensual story about genders and racism that has nothing to do with an original comics. Thanks i will pass the rest. Just another piece that trys to bait reviewers and drive wedge into the society... BIG NO
  17. Oct 20, 2019
    Did they really have to choose the Watchmen franchise to make just another modern propaganda piece? This show has nothing to do with the original comic or movie. The original was not about race or gender, it was about superheroes/role models being corrupt with their "sainthood" being just a marketing illusion. It was a stylish take on the "who watches the watchers" question. This show,Did they really have to choose the Watchmen franchise to make just another modern propaganda piece? This show has nothing to do with the original comic or movie. The original was not about race or gender, it was about superheroes/role models being corrupt with their "sainthood" being just a marketing illusion. It was a stylish take on the "who watches the watchers" question. This show, however, is modern politics and propaganda lightly sprinkled with "iconic superhero lore" for better sales. Expand
  18. Oct 21, 2019
    Total garbage. This is a show made by the extreme left for the extreme left. Watcher beware.
  19. Oct 20, 2019
    Hamfisted woke garbage that wine aunts and affluent liberals will pleasure themselves to
  20. Oct 20, 2019
    They absolutely destroyed all the magic behind the Watchmen universe, introducing a lot of shallow politics discussions above the TV Show. Happily is just one time show.
  21. Oct 20, 2019
    Bizarre. Boring. Pointless. Trash. I wanted to like this show, but it was horrible.
  22. Oct 20, 2019
    Saw pilot at NYCC, one of the best in ages. Hoping they don't pull a Lost with the finale lol
  23. Jan 21, 2020
    In original comics - gray moral and philosophizing about human nature. This all good but... Serios? Reverse racism - in this serial in each episode. Bad guys - all white people and aggressive animals. All who have power, who work on government - new KKK. Rorschach stand for them like icon. Why, what the hell?!?! Bud guys - only white people. Idiots - only white people. Aggressive animalsIn original comics - gray moral and philosophizing about human nature. This all good but... Serios? Reverse racism - in this serial in each episode. Bad guys - all white people and aggressive animals. All who have power, who work on government - new KKK. Rorschach stand for them like icon. Why, what the hell?!?! Bud guys - only white people. Idiots - only white people. Aggressive animals - only white people. This is crap, that we didn’t should see. No one in whole world can’t do same agains peoples with black skin color. But against white - no, it’s not the racists **** ”sarcasm”! I think - we must say - reversible racism - same that racism and it’s real. Expand
  24. Feb 8, 2020
    While there are certainly some interesting choices in the setting characters and drama, Watchmen 2019 chose the path of the original comic book material in name only and serves as an 'imagined sequel'. It noticeably lacks the wonderful prose of Alan Moore, and the visual stylistic tones of the (still excellent) Zack Snyder movie. Simply put this reads as just another average action/scifi.While there are certainly some interesting choices in the setting characters and drama, Watchmen 2019 chose the path of the original comic book material in name only and serves as an 'imagined sequel'. It noticeably lacks the wonderful prose of Alan Moore, and the visual stylistic tones of the (still excellent) Zack Snyder movie. Simply put this reads as just another average action/scifi. If it went by a different name I would score higher. The original graphic novel and movie still hold up. This is simply a byproduct of that initial success. Expand
  25. Jan 16, 2020
    Good. **** afrocentric SJW TRASH!!!! Black Manhattan was sooooo **** lame. Don't waste your time on this utter garbage.
  26. Jan 16, 2020
    Very poor story with less moments from original Watchmen and just few good moments
  27. Tgc
    Nov 20, 2020
    Basically it is show about strong black woman killing bad white men. If it wasn't loosely based on cult comic book, probably no one will care about this series.
  28. Apr 26, 2020
    If you are utterly bored in lockdown, or literally have nothing else going on in your life, give this series a watch. The action sequences are entertaining and well choreographed, and the cinematorgraphy is well done and oft times downright beautiful. The writing occasionally brushes up against a good idea before veering away with screeching tires. Right, now on to the butchering:

The

The story jumps about in time frequently, but only tells you so with about half the jumps. Someone needs to tell these geniuses that confusion does not equal mystery. Especially not when the confusion stems from the story breaking it's own storytelling rules! Multiple events and characters are treated as signifcant, only to be instantly dropped and never mentioned again (I call this "Lost Syndrome"). It's like there was no consensus among the directors as to how the story is supposed to unfold ("Disney Star Wars Syndrome").

The lead actress is miscast. Her character demands a certain energy from the actress which she - Regina King - fails to convey in nearly every scene. The constant braying of muh racism gets a little boring as well, unless you're really into that, or get off on ethnomasochism.

But the worst sin of this series is the way the themes of both comic and film are missed, and the character of Dr. Manhattan is mishandled (really if you know even the slightest thing about him, this series is a 9-episode urination on his character). It was as if the writers were told the story this series is supposedly a sequel to by a drunk friend who skips over the most pertinent details. And don't get me started on the denouement of the final episode: let's kill a whole bunch of people to prevent X from happening...hey you know what would be a great idea? Let's make X happen!

Eh...on second, if you're really bored, rather watch paint dry.
  29. Apr 23, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this series 2 points for good acting, good story-telling and good tension. Also, it gets the two points: one for each of the original watchmen in the story. Sure, Silk Spectre is there, but she isn't Silk Spectre anymore anyway - she's joined the government (working for the enemy, as far as original Watchmen is concerned).

First, the good. It really is good acting, it's quite nicely paced and the tension doesn't really let up.

Now, the bad. It's got absolutely nothing in common with the original Watchmen, which if you read (or saw the movie) was very anti-government, anti-liberal and very pro-individual-rights. In fact, the very first page of original Watchmen says this: "Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into the bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers... ... and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say."

This series is the exact opposite of that, the exact opposite of what the Watchmen were, and what they wanted to do. The series has none of the conflict or the profound paradox of the original Watchmen. The deep questions about morality and politics and war and love that was in the original Watchmen are missing from this series. All of that has been replaced by an almost endless litany of preaching; the message of "white men bad, everyone else good" is reinforced in every episode. All the women are strong or black or both, all the men are neutered, even if they're black.

Speaking of neutering, the two remaining watchmen in this series, Ozymandias and Dr Manhatten, have been reduced in apparent power and intelligence (can't have the legends overshadow the new characters, I expect).

Ozymandias, for example, is not the almost-prescient thinker and strategist from the original Watchmen. He doesn't have any of his reputed fighting skills (bar one scene) and is easily taken down with a blow to the back of the head **after being told he was being arrested**. The original Ozymandias would not, after being told he was going to be arrested, have let one of the two officers calmly walk around him and bop him on the head.

Dr Manhatten gets an even worse butchering of his character. For absolutely no reason at all, he leaves Mars, comes to earth and tells a woman he has never met that he is in love with her. At the end, when he knows that they are about to capture and kill him, he simply stands for a few seconds in front of their trap while it energises to capture him. Everything he does is out of character for Dr Manhatten. There is no conflict in him; in the original Watchmen we get the sense of an almost godlike being, someone capable of seeing through time, dealing with internal conflict as he loses his humanity and tries to hang on to his morality. The Dr Manhatten of this series is almost completely human since arriving from Mars, and only cares about the falling in love bits of the plot.

They really should have called this series something else; it is not done in the dystopian atmosphere of Watchmen. It has an altogether different feel to it. The society feels more like George Orwell's 1984, where the arrested have no right to a trial; where, in a US state, the arrested can be judged and executed on the spot by the arresting officer; where the police wear masks; where the guns have been confiscated from the population ... and this series tries its best convince the viewer that all of this **is a good thing**.

I would say watch this if you like superficial storylines, plot holes you could drive a truck through, never-ending politicisation ... and good acting. Do not watch this if you were expecting the complex and intricate world of the original Watchmen to be continued. This series does not do that.
  30. Jul 6, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The comic is great, the 2009 film was good (and a nice adaptation of the comic, i think), but this is just trash.
    Noone will remember this series, plot is boring and nonsense.
    This doesn't exist.
    Original Watchmen have no sequel.

3/10 just because some part with Ozymandias were not totally boring.
  31. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Left wing people wet dream.
    White people are white supremacists.
    A black woman the hero, all white men crazy, evil, or both.
    Weapons are illegal for civilians...
    And the black woman ends up becoming Dr Manhattan which the series says he did a poor job with his powers (he probably wasn't a left wing "idealist"). That is, Dr. Manhattan should have used his power to submit humanity into being good. A better version of the communist totalitarian state but more powerful and updated by current left wing creed.
  32. Nov 9, 2019
    Mediocre. Def a step down from Alan Moore’s original inspiration material, I think. Making it so much about race is often boring. The Prestige rip is not shocking the way it’s meant to be shocking. I wish Oklahoma was only one setting and not the main setting. Possibly a lot is lost there IMO.
  33. Oct 28, 2019
    This show is confusing, not because it's deep or says anything that's thought provoking, it's because of tonal inconsistencies and the fact it feels nothing like the source material. This is the only piece of media I've ever seen where somebody in response to being called a nazi has replied they're a communist as a defense.
  34. Dec 30, 2019
    What a pile of bizarre, foul **** Don't waste your time. Run. Run away....blah blah blah blah
  35. Dec 19, 2019
    This is infected with the modern political correctness "movement" so if your sensitive to that either your going to love it or hate it independent if its actually a good story.

Going back in time im a big lover of Lost by the same maker Lindelof and you do see the same ability at the start of the show to build something very interesting and then a inability to have a ending. That

That being said you may notice that im still giving this show a fairly good grade above average and thats since this is my type of bad. Not going to justify my taste its very flawed but im still having a decent time even while being pained by the many weakness of the tv show.
  36. Dec 19, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now that's what I call an horrible adaptation, very poorly written, some good actors, but the story is just awful. Expand
  37. Nov 5, 2019
    Wanted to like it, was looking forward to it but the show is very underwhelming. Disappointed.
  38. Oct 21, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WINO - Watchmen in name only. They oy use the watchmen mythology superficially to tell a whole different story. Expand
  39. Nov 6, 2019
    Very bad series, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring
  40. Jun 14, 2020
    Yes, we get it, racism is bad. We knew that before. Please give us some content.
  41. Dec 23, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show kept me interested for some episodes but then I found its negative aspects too overwhelming to keep giving Watchmen my eye and time. Pity, because it has several ingredients for a succesful TV show like high production values and invested actors. However, the underside includes flaws like badly designed lead roles -most of them are creepy, egostistical and generally repulsive-, unnecesary complicated and convoluted plot -one character gets to die three times!- and general nonsense like the tipical one-person army battle against many stupid and weak foes. Expand
  42. Oct 31, 2019
    This show is cringey and vert dull. Fight scenes are a joke and the story is just full of stupid nods and winks. Just tired of this format of show.
  43. Oct 31, 2019
    Like the movie but this kind of boring and hard to get in to it. It also have a kind crazy stereotypes that I though we got past in this day and age. I can see this inciting a group of people to hate another group.
  44. Nov 4, 2019
    Don't waste your time on this. The movie wasn't perfect but it was 1000% better than this garbage.
  45. Nov 22, 2019
    Is it just me who has no idea what the hell is going on? It’s slow, but I guess it is beautiful to watch in a way...
  46. Nov 19, 2019
    Im happy I didnt spend a dime acquiring the first episode of this SJW "black heroes against the evil whites" show. I sat through half of the episode and wow does the writers have a hatred for white people. SJW propaganda show of the year.... I gave it a 2-rating instead of 1, since production value seems high (but only thing that proves is that they spend more money on production). But noIm happy I didnt spend a dime acquiring the first episode of this SJW "black heroes against the evil whites" show. I sat through half of the episode and wow does the writers have a hatred for white people. SJW propaganda show of the year.... I gave it a 2-rating instead of 1, since production value seems high (but only thing that proves is that they spend more money on production). But no way im gonna spend more time watching this when the writers clearly want me to feel perpetually guilty for something I never did just because of my white skin color. Expand
  47. Nov 14, 2019
    as a fan of the movie and graphic novel i was looking forward to this show. huge disappointing mess and i don't mean the squid.
  48. Nov 4, 2019
    Absolutely one of the most terrible shows of the year. The plot is weak and also very confusing, with no memorable characters. It also feels like a sequel. To what? I don’t know because i watched the 2009 movie and read the comic book and it doesn’t seem like a sequel to neither of those
  49. Oct 24, 2019
    I'm pretty disappointed about this show, had such high hopes going in. Just feel like this isn't watchmen at all but some weird spinoff with no depth.
  50. Nov 8, 2019
    The show makes the Snyder watchmen movie look like a goddam masterpiece. Not worth your time
  51. Dec 8, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. muito fraca, totalmente desconexa aos HQs originais, faltou MUITA criatividade em contruir um vilão fora uma protagonista sem QUALQUER empatia, tirando o apelo a nostalgia pelos personagens originais a serie é uma porcaria com senas muito fracas de ação enredo cansativo e previsível que em nenhum momento nos faz temer pela detetive que basicamente é uma heroína feminista negra intocável Expand
  52. Dec 26, 2019
    Just No, this is another example of what happens when diversity and progressive values become more important than creating good entertainment. Besides the name it's got nothing to do with the original Watchmen comic. I hope this series is cancelled so we never have to talk about it again.
  53. Nov 5, 2019
    I'm giving a 1, because of 2 reasons:
    1. It has NOTHING to do with Watchmen. It's baiting. This is a show about cops chasing white supremacists in country settings. Shameful false advertising to tie it to Watchmen comic book. If you wanna build a following, do it with good writing and good acting, creators.
    I'm giving a 1, because of 2 reasons:
    2. The plot is outrageous. Literally - it's manufactured to outrage and apply to our lowest instincts. It creates unnatural, improbable world of extremely racist people to invoke some moral lessons about real (i.e. completely different, non-black-and-white) world.
    Handmaiden's tale is the same thing for women's dystopia.
    Camp of the Saints is the same thing for actual racists dystopia.

All these stories are bad storytelling and frankly little different from populist demagogy.
  54. Nov 7, 2019
    Watchmen who are impossible to watch.
    Why be called the original title of a great comic book - when you could just call it " Black woman vs. white fanatics"
  55. Oct 24, 2019
    It doesn't deserve a zero as a few of the more defensive fascists here would like to reactively label it based on its obvious race-relations commentary. But that aside it seems to be a decidedly below average show. Based on the premier it is poorly scripted, the storytelling is unimaginative and incoherent, and it has almost nothing do with the Watchmen universe aside from borrowing a fewIt doesn't deserve a zero as a few of the more defensive fascists here would like to reactively label it based on its obvious race-relations commentary. But that aside it seems to be a decidedly below average show. Based on the premier it is poorly scripted, the storytelling is unimaginative and incoherent, and it has almost nothing do with the Watchmen universe aside from borrowing a few identifying images, lines, and characters of the series which it hamfistedly shoehorns into a listless cop narrative. I can't think of a better way to alienate people who were attracted to this show because they were expecting something t Expand
  56. Dec 16, 2019
    This has nothing to do with Watchmen, only it hangs on its fame to advertise its progressive pamphlet
  57. Nov 14, 2019
    Netflix 2.0. Focusing on SJW motvies without much of a plot mixed with OK acting. Thank you AT&T for ruining HBO....
  58. Nov 6, 2019
    Yeah, I don't think Hollywood knows how to make movies anymore, its just a big propaganda shop for the retarded socialism and braindead woke nazis. Its a disgrace to the watchmen series GET WOKE GO BROKE
  59. Nov 3, 2019
    Its not watchmen, its huwhite man bad preachy BS so if that's your thing go for it but most anti-racist people of sound mental health will not enjoy this very much, same old woke racist garbage.
  60. Oct 27, 2019
    Show is boring and trite. They tried to turn a great comic into woke left fantasy.
  61. Aug 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. UPDATED:

I have had several people, from colleagues to screen writers that I admire, suggest that I give a few more episodes of "Watchmen" a try. I dove in and found the next episodes were at least entertaining allowing me to rethink my initial 0 score and have raised it up to a 3. I will say that upon finishing the series I can see a lot thought went into the over arching plot, but it never felt like anything more then fan fiction and made many of the surface mistakes that the movie adaptation made. In retrospect though this show is an almost prothetic vision of what was to come in the new year in the real world. Because of its implications on race and the fact that they put the genocide in Tulsa, in the Greenwood district, on full display I would actually still recommend that people over 16 watch some of this series. Beyond that it is still easily skippable for the causal comic fan who won't be missing out on much.

ORIGINAL:

The first episode was garbage and I will not be watching any more. They are just taking the interesting and good parts of the comic and blandly shoehorning them into the story. What crap writer came up with the cops chanting “who watches he’s the watchmen” in Latin? Lame. While that’s a minor theme in the comic it’s out of place here. The rehashing and paraphrasing Rorschach’s best journal entry for the terrorist was awful. And the idea of cops letting anyone, ANYONE in a mask stroll up to their precinct is f@#king dumb. The only thing that was interesting at all that was the nod to the comic of the squids falling from the sky much like the fake “alien” attack.
  62. Dec 8, 2019
    This show reminds me more of Supergirl or season 3 of Young Justice than the Watchmen movie. Pretty interesting to see that they are really poking you in the eyes with "Racism is bad" and "Police violence is bad" in a franchise that originally started out as a criticism against superheroes. I wish they had focused on something else instead of "Racism bad".

If I had to say something good

If I had to say something good about the show, I'd say the acting is pretty great.
  63. Nov 7, 2019
    This show is bad. The actors are bad. The director and writers are bad and HBO should feel suicidal for greenlighting something that rapes the source material so violently and unrepentantly. Social justice is boring and passé. It's a form of virtue-signaling self-masturbation for actors and film crews and is no substitute for good writing or actual effort; yet the clowns heading this showThis show is bad. The actors are bad. The director and writers are bad and HBO should feel suicidal for greenlighting something that rapes the source material so violently and unrepentantly. Social justice is boring and passé. It's a form of virtue-signaling self-masturbation for actors and film crews and is no substitute for good writing or actual effort; yet the clowns heading this show put it front and center in every episode. Only the most untalented hacks in the increasingly destitute film and television "business" would fall on it as a last resort to find a lowest-common denominator audience in the ironically "woke" sheep known as "leftists". Every drool-dispensing self-masturbatory charlatan even remotely involved with this project deserves to hear the phrase: "you'll never work in Hollywood again" after this trainwreck shoots through its inevitable cancellation. Expand
  64. Dec 3, 2019
    Anyone rating this higher than 5 is clearly some agenda andy because this show is absolute garbage and is not Watchmen material at all. Even the OG creator said he did not want his name to be involved in this **** show hahaha.
  65. Dec 17, 2019
    Worst acting and swaping of key caracters ever. Very cheap visuals and inconsistent graphics.
  66. Dec 21, 2019
    Just another in a growing list of shows written by political activist telling you that if you're a straight white man you're the devil. .. .. Boo
  67. Dec 21, 2019
    Great production quality i will say that. I loved the comic and the movie thats why i tuned in. Thats also why i wont be returning. Turning rorshack into a white supremacist? I dont mind politics in my entertainment when its in world politics. I HATE virtue signaling in my entertainment. If you like SJW ram rod virtue signaling you will love this. Thats is the only thing it offers.
  68. Oct 24, 2019
    If you want to watch a show that's has the same spirit of WATCHMEN with a flair that matches the film, I highly recommend The Boys on Amazon. It has an amazing out-of-left-field-didn't-see-that-coming cliffhanger season finale.
  69. Oct 21, 2019
    I'm on the fence about the first episode I just streamed. Like many have said, well set in the Watchmen alternate universe it had really very little to do with the original Watchmen IP, both graphic novels or movie. It uses the Watchmen universe as a jumping off point for its own story and world building.

Is that a bad thing? No I don't think so, not really. Nor do I see it as a

Is that a bad thing? No I don't think so, not really. Nor do I see it as a propaganda piece as some posters are suggesting. Artistic endeavors will always reflect the times they're created in to some degree. Early superheros were bastions of good and righteousness and were a reflection of their times. In turn later heros were more gritty and human, some even heavily flawed as the Watchmen were, reflecting the general mistrust of institutions and the symbols they employed.

The current story is understandable and relatable as it reflects the current polarization between alt-right and alt-left forces in society in an interesting way. So I don't have any problem with the storyline so far, and found it quite entertaining. But setting it in the Watchmen universe doesn't really make it the Watchmen regardless of how well done or relevant it is. IMHO it's more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

And that's why I'm on the fence. On its own it's fine and well worth the watch, with a compelling story and great acting. As a continuation of the Watchmen canon it falls a bit flat and does seem like it's attempting to piggyback on the Watchmen's fame. If they'd called it anything else with the understanding it was set in the Watchmen universe I'd given it an 8 or 9. As it stands the best I can do is a 6 because I can't help but feel I'm being manipulated into watching it.
  70. Oct 26, 2019
    I don't get why it's called Watchmen, it could have been a great original story but instead they tried to ham-fist it with the Watchmen and fail at both at the same time, that's a shame too I kinda like Angela Abar.

If it wasn't called Watchmen I would probably given a better score(6-7).
  71. Oct 27, 2019
    Love the First episode. I understand the frustration of cómic Book funs with the polítical and racial tensión. Hope Will mix it with more fantástical elementos in the future
  72. Nov 10, 2019
    Commits the cardinal sin of a TV show. Being boring and unwatchable. The shows only saving grace is its soundtrack. Wont make it to season 2 with lukewarm reception and over priced budget.
  73. Nov 26, 2019
    If you just can’t get enough contemporary progressive political opinions ham-fistedly shoved into your show, then this is for you.

If you’re a normal person looking for entertainment, or a Watchmen fan, avoid this garbage like the plague.
  74. Jan 4, 2020
    This show its to much good,Hbo created one of the best show about hq of all time,so this is MY OPINION
  75. Nov 29, 2019
    Have an open mind and enjoy pure graphic novel bliss. I've read the original twice and think Lindelof takes great care to further the deep seeded themes into the 21st century. What a time to be alive.
  76. Nov 25, 2019
    Amazing TV show. Super high production quality, incredible complex and interesting story, fascinating to see an alternative history play out, definitely makes you think. Honestly no clue what all the negative reviews are about beyond the fact that they don't like that the white supremacists are the bad guys???
  77. Nov 24, 2019
    It might resent some of the original fans, but Watchmen (the show) builds on the moral complexities of the comic book that preceded it. It adds new layers of social issues, puts its focus on a more diverse cast of characters, and creates an eerily accurate allegorical parallel of an America that's still uneasily navigating its history into the beginning of the 21st Century.
  78. Dec 8, 2019
    With this show Lindelof shows that he doesn't have the discipline, self-restraint and vision to create a TV show to adapt ideas other than his owns .
    In Lost he mixed philosophical ideas that he clearly only superficially understands to create an aura of self-importance. The premisses were at least tantalizing and the production top-notch.
    In the Leftovers, a show which I enjoyed, he
    In the Leftovers, a show which I enjoyed, he went into a full surrealistic bend, that yielded some great episodes, thanks to superior production values again. However , one must acknowledge that most of it was sophomoric nonsense.
    With Watchmen, he can't bring himself to adhere to the limitations that the original story forces him to consider. A bit like a student who doesn't want to answer the question in the essay but runs wild with his own -very stupid- ideas.
    Case in point: The story of the German attempts to undermine the morale of black soldiers. To think that some of the best educated soldiers (which is the case of the protagonist) would seriously consider the propaganda is patronizing and insulting.
  79. Dec 9, 2019
    People complaining that the show is too politically driven and then say that they love the original comic are just clowning themselves, Watchmen was always based around political strife surrounding the era it takes place in, now in a modern day setting it'll obviously be based around today's political environment. At its core Watchmen is supposed to be about moral ambiguity and conflictPeople complaining that the show is too politically driven and then say that they love the original comic are just clowning themselves, Watchmen was always based around political strife surrounding the era it takes place in, now in a modern day setting it'll obviously be based around today's political environment. At its core Watchmen is supposed to be about moral ambiguity and conflict between moral absolutism, and that's what this show precisely gets. Expand
  80. Dec 17, 2019
    I knew before I came here to rate this show, that the ignorant and intolerant would be here. Most low or 0 votes seem to be from racists that are not voting for the shows merit, and voting with their xenophobic ideology. The Watchmen might me the most interesting and well crafted stories I have ever seen. It’s so layered and complex, at the same time the complexity is easily digestible.I knew before I came here to rate this show, that the ignorant and intolerant would be here. Most low or 0 votes seem to be from racists that are not voting for the shows merit, and voting with their xenophobic ideology. The Watchmen might me the most interesting and well crafted stories I have ever seen. It’s so layered and complex, at the same time the complexity is easily digestible. The story evolves into a tale that I was never expecting. This is refreshing. Most story arcs these days can be figured within the first few episodes or first half of a film. This show is simply worth your time. 10/10. Expand
  81. Oct 25, 2019
    Worth a shot if you are interested in an alternate present based on a continuation from the events of the comics. If you aren't familiar with the comics, you likely will be a little befuddled but might still enjoy piecing together what is going on. If you are open to a work that is inherently political and allegorical, this is for you. If not, give it a pass. And if you can't stand someWorth a shot if you are interested in an alternate present based on a continuation from the events of the comics. If you aren't familiar with the comics, you likely will be a little befuddled but might still enjoy piecing together what is going on. If you are open to a work that is inherently political and allegorical, this is for you. If not, give it a pass. And if you can't stand some politics in your media but are a rabid fan of Watchmen, you didn't pay attention to the comics. Expand
  82. Nov 29, 2019
    Loved the movie. Don’t know anything about the comic. Very very ambitious opening episode. Excellent so far. But it needs to be noted: Lindelof shows are not for everybody!! The main reason I’m posting this review is a lot of the low scores almost seem to be from the same person or posters with the same collective ideology. All bleating on about liberals, the left and using the phraseLoved the movie. Don’t know anything about the comic. Very very ambitious opening episode. Excellent so far. But it needs to be noted: Lindelof shows are not for everybody!! The main reason I’m posting this review is a lot of the low scores almost seem to be from the same person or posters with the same collective ideology. All bleating on about liberals, the left and using the phrase “woke”. This has undoubtably lowered the true “user rating” of this show on Metacritic. Not the first time I’ve seen this liberal bashing score lowering phenomenon on this site. Expand
  83. Dec 8, 2019
    I think many of the users who gave this series low score haven't watched it past the fourth episode. That's all I'm saying.
  84. Dec 8, 2019
    anyone giving a low score def hasnt watched it and are calling it 'woke" all because some neo nazis are one of the antagonists. great show worth watching
  85. Oct 28, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second episode was a vast improvement over the first, so I'm bumping this up to a 7. I like the feel of the show more but It is still really bothersome to me how the creators decided to shoehorn in elements of the original in such hamfisted ways.

It is frustrating as a fan of Alan Moore's work that the creator of this show doesn't seem to really understand the characters from the original series or their fairly complex motivations.....There have been some really cringe-worthy moments where dialogue is borrowed from the graphic novel in situations that are not appropriate for it according to the meaning of what was said....

For instance, something Rorschach said that gets repeated by the Cavalry in ep. 1 (Someday all the pimps and whores, etc. will ask for my help and I will say no) made no sense in the context of a bunch of cop murdering racists who are angry because of their loss of status in society. In the series, that comment was meant to illustrate Rorschach's deluded belief that he was some kind of morally superior guardian of truth and justice who hated the imperfections of others he saw around him and believed that without people like him society would crumble. The Cavalry doesn't seem to view itself the way Rorschach viewed himself at all, so this made no sense: They are not mad about a perceived moral decay, they are mad about their loss of status.

In episode 2 this happened again with a quote from Dr. Manhattan ("There are no ends") which was completely out of context and really made no sense in that moment, although it was the last thing Dr. Manhattan said to Adrian Veidt. This quote in the original series was meant to expose the flaw in Adrian Veidt's ends-justify-means rationalization for mass murder to prevent humanity from destroying itself. It had absolutely no bearing on the moment in the television episode....

Further, Adrian Veidt is now portrayed as an insane sociopath who murders his servants for no reason when he was nothing like that in the comic. Adrian Veidt was a murderer for sure but he only killed when it was necessary to fulfill his goals. He seemed to regret having to kill people but he sincerely believed that some people had to die to save everyone else and the ends therefore justified the means. He was a strict utilitarian in that sense, he really thought he was providing for the common good of the many by killing, not a sadist. It is bizarre to cast him as completely insane now 30 yrs later with no explanation.

The other aspects of the show are pretty good. It is well shot and I can see that the show is trying to update the social commentary of the Watchmen to the present moment in important ways which it has captured fairly well. Which is why so many people are mad about it. I am really bothered by the treatment of the source material and the oversimplification of that source material to the point where it takes me out of the show.
  86. Nov 13, 2019
    I do not care that it's not following the comics, I love the novelty of it! I actually look forward to new episodes and so far have not been disappointed! I can't stand woke culture and the forced propaganda Hollywood puts in stuff nowadays, but I don't actually feel it to be the case with this show just because there is a black female lead and a white supremicist subplot.

Most of the

Most of the negative rewiews are "Derpa, derpa, its not the same as the comic book, derpa, depra" Get your head out of your behind and look at the show as a new thing with familiar elements and it's great!
  87. Nov 3, 2019
    Woke trash full of left wing agitprops, plenty of good tv series that aren't propaganda so don't waste your time on this.
  88. Oct 26, 2019
    Oh, dear, people are unhappy about their comics being too left-leaning again.

Oh, dear, people are unhappy about their comics being too left-leaning again.

The CW’s Batwoman was initially getting review bombed by a bunch of people (because … women and gays? Not in my Gotham!) and now that trend has continued with HBO’s Watchmen series, which premiered this weekend. According to CBR, the show has a 93% Fresh rating from critics but is scored at 49% by audiences. Of course, there are those with legitimate criticism of the series—as I have my own—but many other complaints are about the show’s perceived “politically correct” narrative and it being “too woke,” upset that this new series has a very political stance.

Except that, you know, the original comic by Alan Moore is super political, left-leaning, and was created to mock a lot of things. But you know, people don’t actually like to think about it, especially when it comes to one character in particular: Rorschach, Ted Cruz’s favorite.

In the show, there is a white supremacist group called the “Seventh Kavalry” in Tulsa that has taken to Rorschach’s black-and-white mask, and they are acting up in response to President Robert Redford’s push to implement reparations to those affected by past racial injustices. That absolutely makes sense, since Rorschach, in the comics, is outwardly (checks the list) racist, homophobic, sexist, and a total and complete fascist. Alan Moore literally wrote him to make fun of The Question, Mr. A, and a bunch of other Steve Ditko comic characters that the artist/writer used to promote his Ayn Randian ideals.

Watchmen has always been about taking the idea of superheroes to its natural conclusion with the events in world history. That’s why, at least from my perspective, the issue of reparations makes sense in this context. For the first time in a long time, that is a serious topic of debate, and with the presidency something you can do for unlimited terms in the world of Watchmen, a president, especially a popular one, could tackle that kind of legislation. In a place like Tulsa, which has always had a racial divide and dark history of white inhabitants being antagonistic when their Black counterparts make it, this just seems like the natural conclusion—especially when Rorschach’s journals were shared with the equivalent of Breitbart News.

These white supremacists are the logical conclusion to his rhetoric.

Does that mean you’re a white supremacist if that was your favorite character in the comics? No … unless you actually are a white supremacist. Rorschach is an interesting character because Alan Moore is a good writer and knows how to teach without preaching. His work is layered and thoughtful but also filled with clear intent. From what I have watched of the show, while it isn’t perfect, I’m willing to give Damon Lindelof room to tell the story as long as he does the same. Well, as much room as you can give a former Lost showrunner, but that’s a whole different kettle of alien squid.

Still, more than anything, I wish that audience reviews stopped being a way for people to drag something for being “too woke,” because it creates bad faith for everyone. We are allowed to have different tastes and have our political leaning affect out taste, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be fair.
  89. Oct 29, 2019
    Love the show! 2 episodes in and I am hooked. Regina King as an action hero is fulfilling. The imagining of the world post- Watchmen (the movie) is plausible given the fractured state of domestic politics in the U.S., namely the rise of jingoism and xenophobia. The rant of the right on the screen and from critics panning it is art reflecting life, and then life imitating art; this makesLove the show! 2 episodes in and I am hooked. Regina King as an action hero is fulfilling. The imagining of the world post- Watchmen (the movie) is plausible given the fractured state of domestic politics in the U.S., namely the rise of jingoism and xenophobia. The rant of the right on the screen and from critics panning it is art reflecting life, and then life imitating art; this makes the point of the show, sadly. Expand
  90. Oct 28, 2019
    First episode have my curiosity second have my attention. I understand that Watchmen 2019 may be hard to understand for people outside comic book community but figuring out how this world is working is great part of fun. I think it may be not acknowledged as ground breaking now but for me it is best new show for 2019.
  91. Nov 22, 2019
    Anyone who is accusing Watchmen of being a "woke liberal" political commentary probably would gladly put on one of those white and black masks. It is very much in the Watchmen's theme set to have contemporary political commentary so chill out and just watch the show (or not).
  92. Dec 22, 2019
    The show starts out very confusing, even if you have read the comic book that it is a sequel to. The start is still entertaining and interesting. It starts to make sense around episode 3 and your patience pays off big time in the last four episodes. You should definitely read the comic book before you watch this show.
  93. Jan 2, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am going to make a bold claim and say that HBO's first season of Watchmen is one of the best sequels I have ever had the pleasure of watching. It's also an incredible return to form for HBO after the complete misfire of Game of Thrones Season 8 and the let down that was Euphoria Season 1. Damon Lindelhoff is an absolute genius to find everything that he does in the original text of Watchmen and adapt it for the screen. There are some fanciful elements near the end of the show that do stray from the original message of the Watchmen comic, and it is important for me to note that this is a true sequel to the Watchmen graphic novel, NOT the movie. I can't stress enough how intelligent this show is, but if you haven't read the comic, you will probably be pretty lost. Also, the first episode of this show is a real life racist detector, and all these reviews that trashed the whole series after the first episode definitely failed that racist detector. Watchmen was already woke back in the 80s, some of these reviews are just mean. Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2019
    This show is two things: a very entertaining and smart use of source material, and Damon Lindelof’s best show. I loved the Watchmen books and the show is not the show I expected to watch. It turned out to be fresh, smart, surprising and able to subvert and exceed all expectations. Much like the Last Jedi, it will tick off the type of fan who have already written a sequel in their mind.This show is two things: a very entertaining and smart use of source material, and Damon Lindelof’s best show. I loved the Watchmen books and the show is not the show I expected to watch. It turned out to be fresh, smart, surprising and able to subvert and exceed all expectations. Much like the Last Jedi, it will tick off the type of fan who have already written a sequel in their mind. However if you are not a closed door to Watchmen IP then this show is brilliant. My only real complaint is I wish there were more episodes. Expand
  95. Jan 7, 2020
    Surprisingly, it was really good. I was a little worried when I saw the trailer. I'm a big fan of the comic and I feel like it was a worthy sequel. Was it perfect? No, but still worth a watch.
  96. Jan 26, 2020
    Episode 1 was boring, as well as most of episode 2, but at the end of this episode, it became interesting.
    Episode 3 and 4 were pretty decent and I had high hopes.
    But alas, episode 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 were boring.
  97. Dec 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS: Thought it was different. It was good but missing something. You can't kill Dr Manhattan as he has copies of himself everywhere and also in time. Thought Ozymandias was murderously insane which was a nice touch, but he was a side story and I thought he would have made the story more interesting. No Owl man which stunk. Silk was also a let down. Hooded Justice story was interesting I guess. Even if they make a season two (which they may not do) I'm not sure I can get behind someone else as Dr Manhattan. Even in season 1 it was hard to see him in another form. I feel like I need to watch more, but I don't think it will help. Expand
  98. Oct 20, 2019
    Damon Lindelof’s take of Watchmen is truly unexpected in a way that will make you say wow beyond words. And there is no doubt that the scope of this TV sequel from Zack Snyder's Watchmen continues to grow even bigger thanks to the coherent direction and performances. DC Comics definitely had a fantastic year pulling off with the good times of Shazam!, a first ever Grand Prize win atDamon Lindelof’s take of Watchmen is truly unexpected in a way that will make you say wow beyond words. And there is no doubt that the scope of this TV sequel from Zack Snyder's Watchmen continues to grow even bigger thanks to the coherent direction and performances. DC Comics definitely had a fantastic year pulling off with the good times of Shazam!, a first ever Grand Prize win at Venezia 76 starring the immaculate Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, and now HBO’s new bigger hit and refreshing take with Watchmen. What an interesting time to be alive.

(For those that are downvoting this, I can understand you in a way that's more related to today's real time events. Sure, it gets tiring and really flicking repetitive at times for your own taste, but sadly, we're already living in a society that's now more vocal with this kind of stuff nowadays and the cycle won't stop until the new era in entertainment begins. Also, don't expect any heavy choreographic action like the film as this show delivers a drama that will makes viewers talk and think in a good way or in a bad way in Lindelof's Watchmen. I don't lean with either side, but I'm just that guy that wants to enjoy a movie or a show in peace for my taste like everyone else. I'm sorry if this review upsets you but I just want to slide this out of the way.)
  99. Oct 28, 2019
    There's way more to this show than what appears on the surface. Really fascinated with the direction, and with anyone saying that this show is too political...dude, the book was super political. The ugly side of extreme ideologies is the center of the show, and I cant wait to see what happens next.
  100. Oct 20, 2019
    A incredible series, with incredible actors and one big history to tell. The atmosphere and the mistery move the serie to another world. Wonderfull.

Universal acclaim - based on 35 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Carol Midgley
    Jan 7, 2020
    Weird, weird, weird, but definitely not boring.
  2. Reviewed by: Lucy Mangan
    Dec 3, 2019
    It is a bravura series that interrogates power, storytelling and the former embedded in the latter. It has a (still unusually) diverse cast, writing team and cohort of directors in terms of both sex and class, and, even as it strays from Moore and Gibbons’ original content, it honours their underlying ambition: to deconstruct our legends and our myths, ask where they come from, what purpose they serve; and to make us think and think again about who tells us what, why – and why they are the ones who get to do so.
  3. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Nov 6, 2019
    You may not always be sure what you're watching, but good luck taking your eyes off Watchmen. [28 Oct - 10 Nov 2019, p.8]