Mega Man 64 Nintendo 64

• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jan 10, 2001
8.0

1. Aug 9, 2016
    (Disclaimer: The version I played was a ROM on a Nintendo 64 emulator. If you own a Nintendo 64 or a console that can play Mega Man Legends, please get the official version of the game.)

SHORT VERSION: The controls take a bit of getting used to, but it's still an overall really fun game. The first time I heard about Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation, I knew very little about the

The first time I heard about Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation, I knew very little about the series. I don't own any PlayStation consoles, so I can't buy and play the originals myself. As much as I would have preferred to play official versions of the game, I tried to play them on a PS1 emulator only to give up due to the complications of setting it up. I was left with one last resort: downloading the port of the first game on the Nintendo 64, Mega Man 64, since the emulator is easier to set up. I remember hearing that it was considered inferior to the PS1 original, but the only complaints I found were that it didn't add anything new to the PS1 version and minor content had to be cut or "lessened".

GAME-PLAY: When you start off, it's a bit clunky since left and right on the analog stick move the camera left and right while "L" and "R" is what physically moves you left and right. However, I was able to get used to this control set-up pretty quickly. I would later learn how to target, strafe, and circle around enemies.

The name of the game is exploration, unlike most Mega Man games that concentrate on 2D side-scrolling. For every sub-city you enter, all you have to do is explore the area, destroy a couple Reaverbots, and locate three keys to access the treasure of that city while fighting a boss at the end. There's no major puzzles like there would be in Zelda, all the game asks you to do is explore the area. What I like about the sub-cities is that they're small enough so that you don't get frustrated or lost but big enough so that you don't finish it to quickly.

Another big part of the game is the boss battles. Whenever you're near the end of a sub-city or facing the Bonne family, you're pitted against a massive robot. these battles can feel pretty grand as you try to find a strategy to defeat them.

STORY: Our story takes place in a world covered by endless water. Mega Man Volnutt is a digger living on the airship "The Flutter" with his spotter Roll Caskett and her grand father Barrell Caskett. Diggers visit various islands in hopes of discovering treasure. One day, the Flutter crash lands on Kattelox Island. The group decides to use this as an opportunity to explore the ruins and sub-cities in search for treasure. Meanwhile, the Bonne family of pirates is also hoping to find treasure!

The plot's nice and simple and doesn't rely on anything complex until the end. It's mainly just entertaining interactions with Mega Man and the Bonne family as they slowly start respecting him as a rival. While the voice acting isn't perfect, the cheesiness of it helps show off the tone this game is going for. This cheesiness is perfect when it comes to the over the top reactions of Tiesel Bonne, leader of the Bonne family.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Even though this port is considered inferior to the original, I still had a lot of fun playing this game. While the controls feel a bit dated, I personally feel that it's aged pretty well. I like that it goes for a more simple tone and doesn't try to over complicate things for you. You can play the game at your own pace and have a lot of fun just exploring the sub-cities.

I don't know how many problems were fixed in The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Mega Man Legends 2 since I can't play them, but I feel the series can really benefit from having a modern take with tighter and improved controls. Now, more then ever, I want Mega Man Legends 3 to be released. Not as someone who wants to get Volnutt off the moon (apparently, it's a Legends 2 cliffhanger), but as someone who sees an exciting opportunity for an amazing game.
  2. Jul 21, 2016
    PEOPLE LIKE THIS GAME? I play it and watch it constantly wondering what do people like about this game?The graphics ain't bad that's the only good thing. Everything else is BAD!
  3. Apr 18, 2015
    I couldn't play more than a few minutes of this awful port. Seriously, play this on any other platform, even PC. You'll have a better experience. While the setting and music are okay, the controls are diabolical and the voice acting is only impressive if you've just been playing Sonic Adventure.
  4. CaptainYes
    Dec 21, 2006
    I. Love. This game. I just do.
  5. Caleb
    Mar 12, 2005
    A great game, worthy of recognition. There are several hours of gameplay in this thing and endless things to do. Even after you've beat the game, it's still fun just to run around and do stuff.
  6. LinxT.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Awsome game which combines both action and adventure beautifully. Hunting the weapon parts and artifacts will keep you busy for hours on end!!!
  7. Huahuahua
    Apr 12, 2002
    This game is the best. I just got it, it's awsome! I am at the first sub-gate already. Its the best, but the weapons could be better.
  8. Bowser
    Mar 16, 2002
    Owwww those weapons hurt.
    Jan 30, 2002
    I like this game, but in Clozer Woods sub-gate, where is the third key?
  10. RyanH.
    Dec 19, 2001
    It is an awesome game plain and simple.
  11. JamesG.
    Dec 17, 2001
    Sweet.
  12. Nick
    Dec 8, 2001
    Needs more weaponry.
  13. MeLou
    Dec 5, 2001
    It's awesome, and to the guy that's stuck on the pole talk to the dog.
  14. DtotheGGwon
    Nov 27, 2001
    It's fun, but I can't get past the level where Miss Tron is being chased by a dog and when she is on the pole.
  15. JohnJ.
    Oct 27, 2001
    Eh. Nothing special.
  16. Megaman
    Sep 1, 2001
    I own the game. If anyone thinks Zelda is a cool game get this one!! Its even better.
    Aug 13, 2001
    Very cool game...you should buy it.
  18. PsychoElmo
    Aug 10, 2001
    This is not a classic Mega Man game but if you only have the N64 then this is a good one to pick up. It is a 3-D game (not side-scroller!!) but if you don't really think of it as Mega Man then it will be just a fun 3-D action game. :)
  19. Cole
    Jul 20, 2001
    Very good game!

1. Make weapons out of trash! (Disclaimer: probably not advisable as a real-life hobby.)
  2. Nothing was done to improve upon the game, and those that want 3D adventure will find much better courts in "Banjo-Tooie" and other games.
  3. Those who missed out on the PlayStation version could still find a good bit of entertainment value here, but this dated title simply can't compete on the same level as current software.