- Summary: A couple flying to the vacation of their dreams is torn apart by a violent plane crash. Take on a harrowing quest to find your lost wife. Enter into the dark world of a devastated tropical paradise now plunged into chaos. It's a place where the word "dead" has an entirely new meaning. FaceA couple flying to the vacation of their dreams is torn apart by a violent plane crash. Take on a harrowing quest to find your lost wife. Enter into the dark world of a devastated tropical paradise now plunged into chaos. It's a place where the word "dead" has an entirely new meaning. Face the nightmare and fight for survival. Explore the secrets hidden in the darkest regions of the island and fight your way through. Survival is your main goal! Dead Island is a non-linear FPP (First Person Perspective) survival horror title. The ultra-realistic combat system will ensure that every confrontation is a thrilling experience. Use anything you find in your surroundings as a weapon. Make decisions that influence the entire world around you. Take advantage of opponent behavior and game physics. Dead Island is a mix of intense action and chilling horror environments in an engaging, strikingly realistic story. [Techland]… Expand
Pelit (Finland)Oct 19, 2011Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
Sep 15, 2011If you think you'd like killing a LOT of zombies in huge and varied open-world environments, finding boat-loads of randomized loot, customizing your character and weapons RPG-style, or all of the above, you will love Dead Island. Bring some friends along for the ride and you virtually cannot go wrong. Just don't expect much in terms of story or quest depth, and be sure to mod the game just the way you like it.
Sep 5, 2011New games featuring the walking dead have trouble standing out from the horde, but Techland's first-person, open-world, action/RPG entry Dead Island distinguishes itself. After kicking and slashing my way through the infected island of Banoi, I can say the game has tons to offer.
Sep 28, 2011Dead Island is absolutely a fun and very playable game and worth the money, even if it lacks the incredible detail and more serious challenge of Dead Rising 2. Dead Island may lack new ideas, but it makes up for it with simple playability, and often that's all anyone wants in a game.
Sep 6, 2011Loving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issuesLoving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issues other trolls have problems with. If u like survival horror, rpg and fps melee you will like this game. If you like games being a movie, then go away.… Expand
Sep 17, 2011Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)
Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombieGreat game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)
Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch. I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.… Expand
Jan 4, 2012Very good polish action/RPG/FPP/survival horror game, that presents a new approach to zombie topic. Combining zombies and tropic island themeVery good polish action/RPG/FPP/survival horror game, that presents a new approach to zombie topic. Combining zombies and tropic island theme (which are contrasting with each other) was very good idea.
* very nice graphic
* RPG elements
* fight system
* weapon crafting and modding
* good plot
* open world
* great game-play
CONS: * lots of bugs on release day
* flat main characters
* driving a car is difficult as hell
* game saving system
* and again: lots of bugs!… Expand
Feb 12, 2013great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal storiesgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me.… Expand
Sep 18, 2011In a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
Aside from that, it's hit-and-miss. The story-line is (quite frankly) missing almostIn a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
Aside from that, it's hit-and-miss. The story-line is (quite frankly) missing almost entirely. This isn't the first game to put you in a quarantined area with unexplained zombies, give you a weapon and say "go to town," but aside from gathering supplies, you're never really given a reason for having to move from survivor camp to camp. If the summary is true, and you're trying to find a missing wife, then I apparently wasn't paying attention at all during the introduction, because I have no idea what that's referencing. This game has many bugs, and they can be crippling. Running V1.2, some of the bugs I've encountered include:
1) I occasionally have to toggle between full screen and windowed and back to re-enable the sprint feature, which is crippling (It took me awhile to figure out something was definitely amiss)
2) I lost a very powerful weapon into thin air after I had just spent a couple thousand repairing and upgrading it, which isn't crippling, but just plain disappointing
3) A horrible, HORRIBLE UI port from what was PLAINLY a console menu to the PC. The mouse is incredibly slow on the menus, everything has to be clicked on because the arrows are very clunky, and some options are simply grayed out for no reason (usually because you have to have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in)
4) Weapons on your "quick select" menu tend to be replaced by whatever you pick up off the ground, with the most popular being alcohol. This tends to result in irritation if you notice it in time, or at the worst, you find yourself charging into a fight and then quickly downing a bottle of Jack instead of slashing a weapon. Definitely not a fun brawl.
This game is still fun, and definitely worth a rent for its sandbox environment, collectibles, upgrade and deterioration systems, weapon modifications, and the intense firefights (when you face human enemies). The zombie slaying doesn't really get stale, but it does lessen in excitement from the beginning of the game. As of where I am right now, I have seen about 5 different classes of zombies, and each definitely had their own unique attacks and corresponding player strategies I needed to use. A good rent (assuming you stick with the PC version, Xbox version might be better).… Expand
Oct 29, 2012After ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
I thought it wasAfter ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
I thought it was kinda cool to have a mission-based game in a zombie setting. It is cool that you can upgrade weapons several times.
What's killing my interest is the nagging weapon maintenance. The wear is remotely believable for the wooden weapons. But something like a heavy pipe wrench or a crowbar would "in reality" split a thousand zombie skulls with at most cosmetic damage to the weapon itself. It gets old gathering money constantly and delaying quests with trips to a repair bench. How does a workbench take money, anyway? If Dead Island didn't have this weapon maintenance aspect, I'd give it a 7.
Throw in healing, or maybe less damage from zombie punches, and I might say 8.… Expand
Aug 3, 2013The game was absolutely terrible. I have to say this is first boring game I have ever played that put me to sleep...literally.
The combatThe game was absolutely terrible. I have to say this is first boring game I have ever played that put me to sleep...literally.
The combat is so tedious and the game has way to many bugs that it feels unplayable. Boring fetch quests, forgettable story and bland characters, there is nothing positive I can point out in this game to give it a higher score than a 0.… Expand