6.4

1. Apr 12, 2013
    Short but it's very clever, really funny and fun gameplay. It's a great social commentary on the current state of the gaming industry, it's cheap so the short length is justified by the low price. I highly recommend this if you want a short and fun game.
  2. Aug 14, 2013
    This was fantastic entertainment with a lot of funny jokes about the well known DLC-practices of the Games-Industry. A short, but worthy game with traditionell jump n'run mechanics and a fitting Pixel-graphic.
    If you buy steam-version there is a sequel implemented. Well done "Going Out Loud".
  3. May 19, 2013
    Basically paying $3 for a series of jokes. Game is extremely linear and world is very small. It's a very basic platformer, and everything else is just a gimmick.
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    DLC Quest is a small indie game filled with humor and satire that will make most people laugh. That being said, it doesn't take much to fill this game, because it's disappointingly short. Sure, it's cheap, and basically straight up says that it's short. The game left me wondering if the couple hours of laughs i got out of this game were worth the price. The answer was yes, but it might beDLC Quest is a small indie game filled with humor and satire that will make most people laugh. That being said, it doesn't take much to fill this game, because it's disappointingly short. Sure, it's cheap, and basically straight up says that it's short. The game left me wondering if the couple hours of laughs i got out of this game were worth the price. The answer was yes, but it might be better to just watch someone play it on Yiutube. Expand
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    a blend of used up references and bland story-line, this 2 hour game will make you regret spending even $1 on it. Seriously not worth your time or money.
  6. Feb 27, 2013
    Somewhat funny at first, but very boring game mechanics make this not very fun to play, I'm glad it was short. The game has a pretty cool concept though and I would have loved to see it developed so that the gameplay evolved as you unlocked more DLC. I realize this is a satire game, but I can't really recommend it.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    This game only costs a mere 80 Microsoft points so one cant really expect much from this game. What you get is basically satire of DLC. The game play consists of collecting coins and buying DLC which consists of basic features such as jumping or the ending. Aside from the humor the game suffers from being VERY short. it can be beaten in around 5 minutes and has no replay value. I onlyThis game only costs a mere 80 Microsoft points so one cant really expect much from this game. What you get is basically satire of DLC. The game play consists of collecting coins and buying DLC which consists of basic features such as jumping or the ending. Aside from the humor the game suffers from being VERY short. it can be beaten in around 5 minutes and has no replay value. I only recommend this to someone who has some spare points and needs a good laugh and hates DLC. Expand
  8. Jun 17, 2013
    Small world, jokes aren't that great, no fighting at all.. Just jumping around and collecting coins. Got bore of it after 30 minutes and i will never play it again..
  9. AWG
    Jul 18, 2013
    A clever lampoon of what certain games have become: D'ya wanna use a car that doesn't suck? Pay for teh DLC. D'ya wanna enlarge your map? Pay for teh DLC. D'ya wanna know how the story REALLY ends? Pay for teh DLC. In DLC Quest you'll have to unlock DLCs even for getting the ability of jumping. Brilliant.
  10. Jul 15, 2013
    For 1.01$ on Steam Summer Sale.... I was very......IMPRESSED This game for a buck is a very awesome deal. Can take Maximum 3 hours to complete everything ,so that 0.33$ an hour I had great times with this game and I very felt in love with the idea. Yes it is linear but hey it very funny, very original, and very fun overall It definitely the Best 1$ I have spent in my entire life! Just buy it
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    This may be one of the worst games ever released. Period. In it's attempts to make the statement that "DLC is bad", it grates on you with obnoxious jokes that will only appeal to people likely to wear meme face T-shirts in public. It is a shoddy faux-retro game with bad graphics (by indie standards no less), and "important things to say" and, I hate to hammer it in again, jokes that makeThis may be one of the worst games ever released. Period. In it's attempts to make the statement that "DLC is bad", it grates on you with obnoxious jokes that will only appeal to people likely to wear meme face T-shirts in public. It is a shoddy faux-retro game with bad graphics (by indie standards no less), and "important things to say" and, I hate to hammer it in again, jokes that make Holocaust documentaries seem funny by comparison. Don't even pirate it. Expand
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is legitimately fun! Entertainment in its best! As the other reviews revealed: It's not that long. I'd say that it is surely worth 1,5-3 euros, even though you may finish the game in 1,5 hour
  13. Vas
    Aug 7, 2013
    Bit of a simple easy game, it's interesting but it's never different. Once you've beaten it once, there's no reason to try again or ever play it again. So an hour of gameplay and it's all over (unless you're an achievement hunter, then a few hours of gameplay).
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    Ah, dlc quest, when you start playing this game you cant stop, yeah you gotta "buy" dlc that allows you to use game menu! It is a fun game but i think it can be expanded!
  15. Sep 22, 2013
    I will never play it again. The gameplay is very limited and you feel like you are playing a flash game. There is nothing new in the concept of the game and the storyline is not funny. Not worth even 0,75$.
  16. Sep 30, 2013
    It's a great satire of the DLC system, but it's way too short, like really, really short...I managed to get to the end in less than an hour. They could use a variety of jokes for it, and they let this good idea be forgotten really quick.
  17. Nov 27, 2013
    Love it. The games really cheap for what it is and you can get it for $1 on any sale. The game has great jokes and fun platform gameplay. You can get about 45 Mins. to 1 hour with it. Its good for killing time thats all. The story also makes fun of the generic stories.
  18. Jul 3, 2014
    DLC Quest is a platformer game which ostensibly makes fun of DLC but in practice is just a boring, poorly constructed platformer game with a very thin story and even thinner humor.

Story There is a bad guy. You need to go beat him. To beat him, you must buy outrageous DLC to unlock basic functions like moving to the left, jumping, attacking, and any number of other silly things. In

Story

In the second half of the story, you come to combat the DLC vendor himself, who, by selling you ridiculously overpowered DLC, sows the seeds of his own destruction.
    The game tries to be humorous, but it really falls flat because the jokes are all very obvious, when they are jokes at all. There is a reference to the infamous Horse Armor DLC, but later on in the game the game itself throws in a “comedian” character who is nothing but ridiculous references to other games, who you eventually can murder for his stupid references by buying a DLC which shoots him in the knee with an arrow. And also in the face.
    That was about the best joke in the entire game, other than buying the DLC for moving left. The rest are even worse. And the game is apparently aware that making obvious references to things isn’t very funny, and yet, that is all the game consists of – references to common game tropes (like fetch quests), the standard RPG town being led by the oldest man in it, and jokes about DLC which often fall flat.

Gameplay

The gameplay consists entirely of extremely basic platforming. You can move around, eventually you gain the ability to double jump (or walljump, which works in a pretty standard but uninteresting manner due to level design), and you can cut through bushes (and later on, rock) with a sword/pickaxe. Your sole goal is to collect enough in-game coins to buy the DLC, which allows you to progress, meaning the entire game consists of collecting coins, backtracking to buy the “DLC” that lets you progress further in the game, and then going out, collecting more coins in the newly accessible area, which lets you go and buy a new item to unlock the next area.
    The gameplay sucks, being very boring in terms of level design and involving obviously marked walk-through walls as secrets. And worst of all, the DLC doesn’t even feel like DLC, and the process of buying the DLC in game doesn’t feel like buying in-game DLC; the interface doesn’t even resemble the DLC-buying interface in any game I have ever played.
    And that is incredibly weak; the entire premise of the game is that it is making fun of buying stupid DLC, and yet, the game doesn’t behave like you are actually buying DLC, and the process doesn’t resemble buying DLC.
    And if the gameplay sucks and the core premise of your game falls flat because you cannot even copy a common store interface… well, what’s the point of the game?

Graphics

The graphics are incredibly phoned in, representing very standard “retro” pixel graphics. They are quite ugly and unappealing, and do nothing to help you enjoy the game. Worst of all, there were DLC making fun of buying graphical upgrades, something I’m not sure any game even allows you to do… but they didn’t even upgrade the graphics, instead being obvious jokes which made the game even uglier.

Final Summary

DLC Quest is supposed to parody abusive DLC practices. It fails.
    It is supposed to be funny. It fails.
    It is supposed to be fun. It fails.
    It doesn’t matter how cheap the game is, and it doesn’t matter that the game only takes two hours to complete; it wouldn’t be worth playing even if it were free, and the limited time investment isn’t even worthwhile.
    The idea of the game is much better than the game itself. If you’ve heard the idea, you’ve already gained more enjoyment out of the game than you would by playing it.
  19. Jan 19, 2014
    A game that parodies the gaming industry. DLC Quest is a very simple 2D platformer at its core whose main premise is to regularly deliver humour to the players in a form of various video game memes and parodies of questionable business practices of gaming corporations.

The game consists of a number of small locations which can only be reached once the player has collected a certain number of coins and then used those to purchase a fake DLC from the in-game shopkeeper. These fake in-game DLCs spoof the way many DLCs are done in the real world, such as offering access to certain areas, adding irrelevant content, and even allowing the player to use some of the core functions such as jumping and pausing the game.

The jokes in the game have given me plenty of laughs during the course of my playthrough, but the platforming itself is rather basic and can get kind of repetitive after a while. Most of the game simply requires the player to collect coins in various areas, some of which are harder to access than others, but apart from spikes in certain places, there aren’t really any enemies in the game that can hurt you.

The whole game consists of two story ‘campaigns’ and it took me about 2 hours to complete both (about 50 minutes on the first and the rest of the time on the second), so it is a very short game, but at the same time it hardly costs anything. I don’t really see it being very replayable and overall it’s probably the kind of game that’s more fun play in a group of friends where one plays and everyone else watches, since its key strength are the countless jokes and not really the gameplay itself.

My score for DLC Quest might not be overly high, but it’s not because I didn’t enjoy it. I did have a fair bit of fun going through it. I just wish there was more to it. It’s too simple and too short at the moment.
  20. Mar 19, 2013
    I loved the game. I didnt expect too much since it only was 2,40 Euro on Steam, but i loved the idea of making a satire on dlc. I laughed at the gags on dlc and gaming. The game could be a little longer though, but well, i only paid 2,40 so what. Great game. Something real cool, very nostalgic and very clever
  21. Mar 26, 2013
    Just the mere title of this game called by attention, it is an indie 2D 16-bit platformer that mocks the industry's DLC orientation by exaggerating it even more. Let's see it this way, you have to buy DLC to move left and jump, to pause, to have music, and animations. It is seriously exaggerated, and that is what brings charm to this game. The mechanics are extremely simple and are notJust the mere title of this game called by attention, it is an indie 2D 16-bit platformer that mocks the industry's DLC orientation by exaggerating it even more. Let's see it this way, you have to buy DLC to move left and jump, to pause, to have music, and animations. It is seriously exaggerated, and that is what brings charm to this game. The mechanics are extremely simple and are not anything that will make you be astonished, however it is still fun to play it. The soundtrack does not stand out at all which is disappointing for a 16-bit game, but that can be ignored. What gives this game points is the awesome humour that mocks videogame elements, which I will not spoil for you if you decide to buy it. The problem with this game is that it is extremely short, 30 minutes is probably what you will get out of it and maybe 45 if you are a completionist, the thing is that it has absolutely no replay value, so it is just there after you complete it, so unless you have some money to throw away I cannot recommend it just yet. Expand
  22. Sep 26, 2014
    As an actual game, the game is probably deserving of the score shown: the game is a very basic platformer where you use coins to ultimately open up new sections of the game. When you put it this way, it sounds rather dull and uninspired. Where this game really shines though is in the delivery of its humour; by limiting basic game functionality it provides a scathing yet light-heartedAs an actual game, the game is probably deserving of the score shown: the game is a very basic platformer where you use coins to ultimately open up new sections of the game. When you put it this way, it sounds rather dull and uninspired. Where this game really shines though is in the delivery of its humour; by limiting basic game functionality it provides a scathing yet light-hearted commentary on the direction the game industry is heading. Add some in-jokes and references to popular game franchises, and you've got a game that makes it impossible not to laugh. It's also only 3 bucks so if you're an avid gamer that keeps up with what's going on in the industry, it's worth it for the LOLs. Expand
  23. Sep 23, 2013
    Someone gifted me this game when it was on sale for 75 cents. Amazing I know. Anyway, with an original price of 3 dollars, this game offers a very good amount of gameplay for that price. It won't take longer than 2 and a half hours or maybe 3 to complete it, but one of its best qualities is the humor, which is mostly based on other video game allusions and stereotypes. Anyway, I suggestSomeone gifted me this game when it was on sale for 75 cents. Amazing I know. Anyway, with an original price of 3 dollars, this game offers a very good amount of gameplay for that price. It won't take longer than 2 and a half hours or maybe 3 to complete it, but one of its best qualities is the humor, which is mostly based on other video game allusions and stereotypes. Anyway, I suggest getting it. 8/10 Expand
  24. Mar 19, 2013
    This game very actual today after all these DLC's ^^. Game very funny. I absolutely do not disappointed that it is short. I got my fan. Really, i want to see how it played by DLC's developers and planners..may be from EA??
  25. Mar 8, 2014
    One of the funniest games i play recently.
    If you think the actual DLC-madness is ridiculous, and doesn't understand people who buy them, you'll find some funny too. But if you are a DLC-maniac, don't buy that game, you can be angry about the jokes. :D
    One of the funniest games i play recently.

Some people tell that game is too short. It takes me an hour to "beat" it unless 2 achievements. Actually is not about beating, cause there's no real difficult to finish him. But i think that kind of game can't be long, it'll starting to be boring after 2hs or so.

That's a critic to the gaming industry, and i have to say that's clever and truth. I'll play it again, no doubts, to grab all achievements and to making funny screenshots.
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    Great little gem of a game! The controls are tight, the story is laugh-out-loud funny, and the difficulty level is just right for my tastes. Probably 2-4 hours worth of gameplay, but neither feels too short or too long. I bought it on sale for less than a dollar, but anything under five bucks would probably be fair. The game wasn't advertised as supporting controllers, so I wasGreat little gem of a game! The controls are tight, the story is laugh-out-loud funny, and the difficulty level is just right for my tastes. Probably 2-4 hours worth of gameplay, but neither feels too short or too long. I bought it on sale for less than a dollar, but anything under five bucks would probably be fair. The game wasn't advertised as supporting controllers, so I was pleasantly surprised to have my 360 controller work with no configuration required. Expand
  27. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is probably on my top five funniest games list. It has a lot of game related satire, especially the part where the mock RPG character tries to get you to go on a quest, and you shoot him down. The DLC you buy is also very funny, packed with references like the "Armor for your Horse" throwback to Oblivion. The only complaint I have is that the walking around collecting coins partThis game is probably on my top five funniest games list. It has a lot of game related satire, especially the part where the mock RPG character tries to get you to go on a quest, and you shoot him down. The DLC you buy is also very funny, packed with references like the "Armor for your Horse" throwback to Oblivion. The only complaint I have is that the walking around collecting coins part can get boring, even with the funny characters you run into. Expand
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    DLC Quest is a clever satire of the video game industry. It really doesn't feel or play like a game, but instead like an interactive joke.

DLC's biggest problem is that it delivers its punchline too early: the description of the game in steam already spoils the joke of having to buy pause screens, jumping etc. After that, the gameplay just isn't that enjoyable. If the game would emphasise and compliment the elements of for example, having to buy a DLC that requires jumping, this would easily be a much better game. Instead its design doesn't really give you a chance to have a laugh at only being able to go in one direction as you're unable to jump as you are granted the ability within the first fifteen seconds of gameplay.

Complaining about DLC's gameplay issues could be missing the point, though. The game throws great jokes about how modern games are designed, and for the >hour of entertainment it provides you'll be blowing air out of your nose with increased velocity.

DLC Quest offers good laughs, but on my opinion, with slightly better gameplay design the joke would run more fluently and the game would be more worthy of the 3€ price tag.
  29. Jul 12, 2013
    The game is cheap, and is funny, but has limited appeal and is too easy. The game doesn't really poke fun at DLC and it feels more like a chore having to head back to the merchant to get new DLC. It is only 3 bucks though, so for a cheap, 40 minute game, you get your money worth.
  30. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game very cheaply and I'm glad I did as well, it is rather enjoyable for a while and it's supposed to take the mickey out of DLC and Free-to-play games that require you to pay up to win, and it does that very well.

Although the world is small and it is a very basic game, I still had great fun with this, and the humor is very well pulled off, I don't normally laugh at the jokes in a game but this really made me chuckle.

However, no review is complete without criticism and I do have a couple of complaints on this game, for one, because of the Pause Menu DLC that you have to buy to get the "These used to come standard" achievement I couldn't pause the game, I realize that this game is trying to make DLC look extreme but I just cannot get over that. Another thing are the controls in the game that are unchangeable, which is a real blow to the game.

But other than those things I had fun with this game and I'd totally recommend it to anyone with a Steam account and a couple of quid.
  31. Oct 17, 2013
    Worth the money for nice chuckles! For $3.00 I had fun, giggled and made sure did all the "awardments." After that, I played the 2nd campaign: Live Freemium or Die. This 2nd campaign was even funnier than the first. At the same time as being funny, DLC Quest takes a look at the ridiculousness of the concept of paid DLC.
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 0/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/100/10 Expand
  33. Nov 20, 2013
    An extremely fun tongue-in-cheek platformer… DLC Quest is a brief encounter that makes jest of the overuse of DLC within modern video games! Although it’s a relatively simple game, I just really enjoyed it a hell of a lot… To be honest I’m not even sure why! The gameplay is basic, the environments are average and the animations are average… The whole things very average, in honesty!An extremely fun tongue-in-cheek platformer… DLC Quest is a brief encounter that makes jest of the overuse of DLC within modern video games! Although it’s a relatively simple game, I just really enjoyed it a hell of a lot… To be honest I’m not even sure why! The gameplay is basic, the environments are average and the animations are average… The whole things very average, in honesty! However it has some rather wonderful charm to it; whether this is the simplicity of the game, the cleverly written dialogues, the fact the whole thing is very cutesy and I guess it’s just a combination of these fun elements that make it work… But I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is! Expand
  34. Jan 25, 2014
    Classic platform game with tiptop gameplay. Parody of downloadable content, when you buy a game and then you have to pay for more and more to continue. Nice fun for about 2 hours.
  35. Jan 5, 2014
    Waste of money, even for it's price. DLC Quest have two sections: the DLC Quest itself and the "Live Freemium or Die". The first part of DLC Quest can be beat under 15 minutes, it is very short and boring, it is just a MacGuffin for coins, get coins, buy dlc, get more coins, find dlc, buy those. As a satire, it works, but as a game it doesn't.

Live Freemium or Die is... a thing. It

Live Freemium or Die is... a thing. It feels more like a game unlike the first part. But it is still the same deal, get coins, buy dlc, get more coins, find dlc, buy those. It gets boring very quickly. There's nothing to see, nothing to do! You literally just walk around and get coins. No enemies, no battles, nothing! It is just bland. Even worse, there's not even a map! One of the game's quest requires you to buy a cut level and meet with a guy in the caves to get a pickaxe, but the guy on the cave won't give you the pickaxe until you talk with a guy that is on the cut level, the problem is, you don't know where the is that level, because there's no map! You have to guess where is it! The game is very boring as well. It shouldn't be a game where you have to pay for it, it shouldn't even be a game. As a satire, again, it works, but the developers also forgot that they were making a game. There's no game here. Nothing. Avoid it.
  36. Jun 10, 2014
    No es un videojuego, sino una reflexión sobre la industria, pero sin duda una de las reflexiones más interesantes y necesaria que puede tener. Debería ser obligatorio para los investigadores de Game Studies.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. May 31, 2013
    A pretty impressive package for 2 quid. [June 2013, p.79]
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    At the very least, you'll get your money's worth, which often cannot be said for the many games DLC Quest owes its creation to.