7.4

1. Jul 3, 2013
    The movie is extremely funny and cute and the minions are hilarious! It is one of the best animated movies ever and though it may have a thin plot the movie is enjoyable for all ages and sure to be a BIG hit.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    I'm glad to see that the critic scores are edging up, it really doesn't deserve any less than a 7 average.
    In a way they've followed the classic sequel-ruining approach of cramming in more plot threads, more characters, and bigger action, but in this case I actually found it to be the perfect way forward. The hyperactivity and loony-toons silliness works even better at a faster pace, and
    they still take time to breath for some surprisingly heartfelt moments in between. They certain crank up the cheese in these moments, but they spoof tired cliches and tropes so well that even then it manages to be consistently hilarious rather than nauseating.
    It also benefits greatly from a much better, less annoying villain this time around.
  3. Jul 4, 2013
    "Despicable Me 2" is funny, but struggles with its plotting and it's missing the "bad guy" theme puts the film below its original. While this movie does have its moments of laughs, it's no where near the cleverly built structure of Gru from the first film. At first, the films starts well, with surprising suspense and gives high hopes, but the film does fail later to reveal the purpose of the cool first scene. This leaves many simple questions that weren't answered and leaves the audience confused. Although the movie's humor does shine through the film, the plotting, does seem, fairly standard. Gru's villainous theme is gone in this movie, and in most cases, hurts the film rather than helps it. Gru, who is now a father and a "good" guy, has a different approach to this film, and is not as unique as the first film. While the first film focused on the cleverness of bad guy and good dad qualities, "Despicable Me 2" abandons this and focuses on Gru as a good person in life. While the minions are as fun as ever, they take up a large portion of the film from their shenanigans, which is a bit tiresome. The storyline is fairy straightforward and nothing new, with Gru and Lucy's love story isn't put with enough depth. The film focuses sometimes on rather "stupid" scenarios that may seem cute, but lags a bit, and unfortunately wastes time on trying to be humorous. Moments like these slow down its pacing, and does affect the film's outcome. The villain in the film starts out strong, but in the end, ruins his potential and could have felt more sinister, but barely does anything. The ending climax isn't much new the hero wins, and nothing else really. The film doesn't do much to the audience, except laugh, which is okay I guess to several kids today. The film isn't close to the best of the best (I'm very surprised how close it is to Monsters University on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, as I found Monsters University a lot better), but it's a good laugh.., which we sometimes just need. Collapse
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie was flat. The story was very boring and banal. Throughout the film I felt little to no feelings for any character. I see that many people thought the jokes were funny, but I found them to be insisting upon themselves. As if they were funny simply because they were meant to be. The original pieces of the soundtrack were very stock sounding, and those few non-original songs were quite honestly bad. It didn't even sound like the voice actors were doing anything but reading directly from the script. For me, the biggest problem with this film was that the entire production felt too bland; when I was watching this I felt as if the writers and director had played a games of visual mad-libs from a passage that has been used far too many times.
    On the positive side the animation is good. That's about it.
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    EVEN VILLAINS NEED A LITTLE ROMANCE. Generally speaking, it can be a gamble to follow up on a well-received movie with a sequel doubly so if that movie is animated. Luckily for Despicable Me 2, that gamble mostly pays off with an enjoyable, if slightly less heartfelt sequel to the 2010 original. Of course, this film's biggest obstacle was finding a basic premise. The whole first movie hinged on the idea that a supervillain named Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) could be redeemed. But now that he's redeemed, what do you do? It's kinda like making a sequel to How the Grinch Stole Christmas; the main character is fundamentally different from the one you started with. In the case of Despicable Me 2, Gru no longer seeks riches or power, only the love and safety of his three adopted daughters, Agnes (Elsie Kate Fisher), Edith (Dana Gaier) and Margo (Miranda Cosgrove). So where do you go from there? Directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud could have taken the easy route and made Gru bad again. Instead, the filmmakers introduce a love interest, Lucy played by Wiig an Anti-Villain League agent tasked with recruiting Gru as a spy. Using Gru's past knowledge as a supervillain, the unlikely duo set out to track down an evil mastermind who's stolen a chemical compound that mutates lifeforms into deadly, invincible monsters. Not surprisingly, Wiig and Carell play well off each other even in animated form and Wiig's energetic, offbeat character is a welcome addition to the series. Her performance really complements Carell's, and Lucy is a fun, peppy counterbalance to the cantankerous Gru. Gru's daughters, meanwhile, add another layer to the main storyline, as Gru continues to fine-tune his parenting skills particularly with Margo, who's recently taken an interest in dating boys. But as you might expect, the real stars of this movie are the Minions. Where in the first film Gru's yellow henchmen were mostly played for laughs, here they become integral to the plot and are just about as involved in the story as Gru. Perhaps not surprisingly, it works to the sequel's advantage, both narratively and comedically. In fact, after watching Despicable Me 2, the idea of the Minions getting their own spinoff actually doesn't sound half bad. As for the story, Despicable Me 2 isn't anything groundbreaking, but then again, neither was Despicable Me. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty to enjoy. Given Gru's emotional changes in the last film, the sequel isn't so much a supervillain send-up as it is a spy parody, which gives the franchise a fresh new feel, albeit a not quite as edgy one. Likewise, the journey for Gru here is less about him learning how to be a parent and more about him learning how to interact with women. By its nature, this story isn't going to tug at the heartstrings as much, but it certainly does amp up the comedy. Is Despicable Me 2 a laugh riot? A few scenes are, but more often than not it'll put a smile on your face and garner a steady stream of chuckles. While this movie is undoubtedly made for kids, there are definitely several bits for the older set as well. Story aside, Despicable Me 2 is also beautiful to watch. As with most 'toons these days, the animation is positively gorgeous, and the 3D is top notch. If nothing else, this flick has spectacle appeal, for both audiences young and old. If you enjoyed the first Despicable Me, this sequel offers more fun, shenanigans and a solid followup story to the 2010 original. While Despicable Me 2 isn't the most laugh-out-loud or innovative family film, its stunning animation and amusing hijinks make it worth a watch in between other summer flicks. Expand
  6. Jul 19, 2013
    Espero que esto acabe pronto una buena animacio rinde credito aPixar escogidas de Disney y bueno lo demas aveces sobresale sin embargo el peor erro de esta empresa fue poner esta pelicula.
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    Like another reviewer, I found the movie a bit flat. I felt like the screenplay was trying to kill time to compensate for the lack of a plot. I did chuckle a couple of times, but altogether the film wasn't really enjoyable for the adults, and eminently forgettable. ...though the kids enjoyed it.
  8. Jul 8, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is nearly despicable with its silly and downright annoying characters. It is full of lame jokes that will make kids laugh but not adults. It barely has and ounce of anything to take seriously.
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't really like this movie coming away from it. This was a big surprise I like the first one and I heard great things about the sequel. As time passes, I've liked it less and less until, frankly, I actively hate it now. Final analysis as to what turned me off: it's such a chick flick. It is a romantic comedy with minions. If you are into that genre, as most women are, you'll probably love Despicable Me 2. If you are an adult male, this one is poison you have to suffer through. Luckily the minions launch attacks against the estrogen assault periodically trying to break the monotony (and they do wind up stealing the pic). That is your only consolation.

The main plot and the majority of the subplots are anchored upon various femme fantasies. All characterization of each main character is rooted upon either their romantic or mother relationships, except for the villain. The villain is actually worse than a cardboard cutout villain. He's fat, hairy, underdeveloped, and notably unsexy and unsympathetic in any way. That last point is a huge surprise given the background of Gru and the whole premise of the first movie (sympathetic villainy). Boys are slammed as dangerous and irredeemable hearbreakers or worse, and sure enough the one boy character is last seen smugly breaking the heart of one of Gru's daughters.

The highlight of the film revolves around the shenanigans involving an awkward date in which the "true love" female saves the bungling male from a And of course, the villain is dispatched via what else but a lipstick weapon in an anti-climatic final confrontation that doesn't match the energy of the date scene. The ending is, what else, a giant wedding concluding when the girls declare they finally have a mother they can love.

Yuk, yuk, yuk. Guys, beware.
  10. Jul 9, 2013
    While Despicable Me 2 has plenty of laughs some lazy writing. ltos of filler, and a clhice and predictable story prevent this film from being as good as its predecessor. Fans of the original will probably enjoy this film though and be able to overlook these flaws with the story but everyone else will. For everyone else if you were not a fan of the first one you are definitely not going to like this film and I’d stay skip it. I wouldn’t recommend seeing this film unless you are a die hard Despicable Me I would say either skip this film or wait until it comes out on DVD. Go see Monsters University if you want to see an animated film because while it is a kids film and lacks the humor of Despicable Me it is much more engaging and well written than this obvious cash grab, which has convinced me that Illumination Entertainment is only capable of creating animated films to entertain little children, which is not what I want to see because outside of the first Despicable Me this studio has made films that are really meh. Expand
  11. Jul 11, 2013
    I actually enjoyed this sequel more than the original. There are more laughs, because the minions are featured more. I guess you either enjoy the low brow humor of the minions or you don't. I think they are hilarious. The 3D is better than average, and at the end of the film while the credits are rolling they feature clips with the minions where the 3D really shines. The animation is really excellent looking throughout. It isn't quite up there with the best of Pixar, or even "How To Train Your Dragon", or "Kung Fu Panda", but it's close. Expand
  12. Jul 5, 2013
    With non-stop laughs and an excessive sense of fun and with great and charismatic performances and gorgeous animations. Despicable Me 2 is a great sequel that pretty much tops its predecessor in terms of humour and entertainment value even though it may lose a bit of its touch in its latter half.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    An Incredibly cute ending along with hilarious, entertaining, and very heart-warming moments and the extra moments with the minions doing silly antics all throughout the film including during the end credits are what make Despicable Me 2 just as good as the original!! While the original is still fantastic and I liked the villain a lot better in the first Despicable Me movie, I still enjoyed Despicable Me 2!!
    It will be one those movies that I will add to the items that I wish to have on Christmas!!
    I still really liked it and I would actually like to see the film again either in the theatre, on Blu-Ray as rental, or even after I receive this movie on Blu-Ray 3D as a Christmas gift on Christmas or even after I buy this film on Blu-Ray 3D after Christmas for post-Christmas Shopping!!
    I would rate this film a 9.95/10 on a 10-star scale!! On a 5-star scale...I would rate this film a 4.95/5..on a Letter Grade Scale from A+ to an F...I would rate this film an A Grade!!!!
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    The best family comedy this year. Despicable Me is the best great animated movie series. It was a superhero adventure packed with action and lots of laughs. Kids and adults will be talking about this movie for months.
  15. Jul 13, 2013
    I loved the minions! There were plenty of moments where they had the whole theater laughing. A lot of people seem to be upset that Gru no longer acted as a villain, but it was still enjoyable. I like the two films equally. If you had fun watching the first one, there's no reason to think you won't like this one. Not a favorite of mine, as far as animated films go, but it was worth the price of admission, as they say. Expand
  16. Jul 10, 2013
    Yes, it was made for children, but it the main things I loved from the original: Character development, creativity and the charm of Gru being evil. It just wasn't quite as good as the first one, and they went overboard with the minions, I feel.
  17. Jul 4, 2013
    After watching a no-fun movie like man of steel, here comes the funniest movie of 2013! Funnier than Monsters university! This is not like the first one, but this is a perfect sequel. Minions are the x-factor of this movie! They always steal the show! But minions are more funnier, more cuter and more crazier than in the first movie! The latest addition of Lucy Wilde is awesome. Her character is a very effective one! She is the best human character in this movie! This is the most-wanted animation flick of 2013! A must-watch movie for anyone! More minions this time makes the sequel much better! Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2013
    It's disappointment, inferior to first in every single way! Plot are boring and too simple, jokes are for kids only, so if someone gives it a high rating he's probably 10 year old. Animation is great, but that's not enough
  19. Jul 4, 2013
    As VFX and standards rise up, there is no doubt quality in movies needs to also. Despicable Me 2 reaches them, and slightly more. I would say that it was about as good as the first one, and the background to the movie was gorgeous. Even though the humor becomes a little bit crazy, it fits well with a movie like this.
  20. Jul 3, 2013
    If you liked the first one you'll love this one too. Though it is not as touching it still sparks a good message and leaves you pleased and entertained. Fun for the whole family.
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    One of the only movies better than the first one that isn't that much different. It's very funny and the Minions are the best thing ever. One of the best movies this summer.
  22. Nov 8, 2013
    I feel as if Despicable Me 2 is just not quite as charming or unique as the original. I think what made me like the original was the "bad guy" theme; it lacks the originality of its predecessor. I find the new character of Lucy Wilde somewhat annoying, and I was rolling my eyes at Margo falling for Antonio as well as Gru marrying Lucy. I also didn't find myself laughing as much as I did during the first film, the film just isn't that funny. The three girls also had a lot less screen time. The new villain El Macho doesn't make as much of an impact as"Vector". However, its still entertaining enough and will satisfy its younger viewers. The minions are still great, at least.

(P.S, "Despicable Me 3" and a spin-off film "Minions" are in the works!)

If you liked this review, please mark this review as helpful and read my other reviews on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames.
  23. Jul 10, 2013
    Fun. Especially if you see it with a theater full of kids. Plenty to keep the adults entertained as well. Lots of laugh out loud moments. The minions make the movie as you'd expect.
  24. Jul 11, 2013
    Like so many sequels, this one lacks the inventiveness of the original. Gru, the villain, is now a good guy and he's recruited to help stop an old evil rival. Of course, the popularity of the minions assured that they're even more prevalent. They're still cute, but the off-kilter gags are less off. The visual style is still quirky, but the humor is more mainstream and less funny. While it's certainly energetic and the soundtrack is slamming, it's simply not as much fun this time around. NOTE: Just like the last one, the best 3D is during the credits. Expand
  25. Feb 7, 2014
    Not as good as the first, but still an incredibly charming and funny animated movie that families will love. The animation and voice acting are once again top-notch, and the movie provides plenty of laugh-out-loud funny moments. The plot is a tad too familiar, relying on themes that have been used way too much in animated movies. This is especially noticeable when compared to the original plot of the first movie. Overall though this doesn't ruin the movie at all and this is still a highly recommendable movie that will bring smiles to faces of every family who picks this up for family movie night. Expand
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    I watched the first movie by chance more than anything and I found out a very fun movie, with a cute touching story at the end. The sequel is good too, but it is one step below mainly because of the lack of pathos and general likeness: for instance, most of the characters aren't very developed (as in, no real backstory: just few mentions or words) and sometimes it can result in a bit of curiosity... not even Lucy (the partner) hasn't much to talk about her past, and she was an amazing side character! Alas, she is just there for the action...and that's not exactly a bad thing, and simply because this movie is just for the laughs and sillyness. In other words, it is not as good as the original, but it is a good movie nevertheless: it has good laughs, good puns (minions are still hilarious to watch and hard to hate); the 3 girls are likeable; the partner, as I mentioned, is amazingly fun; the action is good and the main character has some good resolution in the end and gets a great reward.
    As we all thought, I should add.
  27. Jul 19, 2013
    The story is quite predictable, but remember that you are watching Despicable Me 2 for the humor, not the story. If you go in with that mindset, you'll not be disappointed. Trust me, you'll laugh, regardless of how old you are (I'm 19).
  28. Jul 17, 2013
    One thing about movie reviews that may always be a challenge to me especially those whom review movies as a profession, I wonder what they are looking at sometimes. The Critics score was 63 with 39 reviewers 21 Positive and 17 Mixed and 1 Negative. Ideally with an animated movie there is a basic fundamental story being told so your expectation is 1) Be Funny 2) Story should flow and not belabor the point 3) And give us a nice ending. So my puzzlement with reviews is what are we watching, Despicable Me 2 raised the bar with fun, excitement and sheer enjoyment. I laughed from beginning to end, the story flowed very well and the ending was amazing. With an animation thats all you need in some cases there are failed attempts with freshness, but this movie is fresh and I'd watch it again and again as I have done many other favorites. Yes reviews are someones opinion and point of view, but sometimes it just doesn't need to be so difficult. Expand
  29. Jul 14, 2013
    I took my family to see it and we all loved it; even my three year old sat still through the entire thing. The minions are hilarious and Gru is a more likable character this time around. definitely recommend this one to any fan of animation.
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    Were you disappointed Gru didn't get a chance to use his dance moves to woo a lady friend in the first Despicable Me? Well worry not, Despicable Me 2 is here to entertain and slightly annoy with its overly saccharine message of family. Despicable Me 2 tells the story of how Gru gets roped into stopping an elusive villain by ditsy anti-villain agent Lucy Wilde (Kristin Wig). Along the way Gru must contend with his new role as a single father and how to move past his old life as a villain. The main problem with Despicable Me 2 is that it doesn't capitalize on its emotions, it doesn't make you feel as warm as the first one did, in fact it only really makes you wish you were watching it. The film is impressive for its visuals, in fact the film ups the spectacle quota quite a bit and the budget seems bigger meaning the action feels more impressive but it lacks that personal touch. The kids are just as entertaining, Agnes with her youth, Edith with her oddly fun obsession with violence and Margo with her faux grown up sensibility. They are just as good but the scripting in the first was tighter giving each of the children moments. In this Edith is a cameo, she rarely appears and has very few lines or things to do. In fact this film doesn't really emphasize family so much as scream it at you making for a fairly manipulative film and without one of the children in the actual film it feels like whatever message they are trying to delivers seems a tad moot considering the lack of a cohesive family for almost the entire run time. Expand
  31. Feb 15, 2014
    Sequels are always worse! But not in this case! The movie, was cute and funny! The story was well developed. The ending was great as well! I highly recommending watching this movie!
  32. Jul 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another amazing flick, not as good as the first but just as funny! Especially the minions, I love them! Anyone who loves animated movies needs to see this now! Although I felt the final battle was a little lackluster, the sweet ending almost brought tears to my eyes, it was so cute! Watch it now! Expand
  33. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is especially for kids, now in my case the first part was the best (Despicable Me).
    Sometimes i feel pretty boring because bad jokes but wt hell, my wife enjoy like a little girl...
  34. Jul 30, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is a great film, but isn't as good as the first. It suffers from it's lack of an exciting climax in the story and action, it almost has a climax, but it's not good enough or exciting enough, the film kind of ends on a bit of a flat note. The highlight of this film is it's script, it's hilarious, also, the voice acting is superb. Although not that much things happen in the film, the raw comedy, voice acting, animation and story make up for it. It may not be as good as the first one, but it's still great, So I give this film a... 81/100! Expand
  35. Jul 22, 2013
    A movie I really enjoyed. It was funny and charming. I think it started off a little slow but the story turned out to be very solid. In my opinion it wasn't as funny as the first one since Gru is sort of a good guy but it still hit most of the right notes. If you liked the first one you'll probably enjoy this just as well. Definitely recommend.
  36. Nov 23, 2013
    While not having much heart as the previous, Despicable Me 2 gathers laughter for both children and adults and features major character development while also utilizing more on the lovable characters without making them just a sell-out, the Minions.
  37. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is hilarious, and it is great if you are only looking for an amusing movie. However, everything else was a bit shallow.
    It was hard to feel for any of the characters, and there were no moments that would make you emotional. The villain of this movie was not amazing either, and he was really pointless because he didn't actually do anything. In the first movie, there was an actual threat. People were getting hurt, there were genuine emotional and moral struggles, and Vector was seen clearly endangering innocent people by actually stealing the moon. In "Despicable Me 2", El Macho turned the minions into monsters, but it was really clear that the only reason it was done was for the amusement of the audience as the minions were "extra silly". The threat they posed wasn't clear, and it's hard to tell that they even truly posed a threat at all.
    It is a cute movie, it just lacks depth. Children will love it as it is heavily focused on the crazy minions who are incredibly entertaining to watch.
  38. Mar 8, 2014
    This sequel is intelligent, and it's just as good as the first. Honestly, the minions are hilarious as hell. The film cannot even exist without them. The film covers more on family and romantic situations and it's just all good fun.
  39. Jul 5, 2013
    Excellent! Even better than the first. Really reminded me of the old Chuck Jones cartoons. Just the right amount of hilarity and romance. And you must love Agnes. Highly recommended for all ages.
  40. Oct 25, 2013
    There's some odd and unfunny (but I suppose were supposed to be funny?) moments and some pointless/obnoxious songs that don't fit but otherwise Despicable Me 2 is a great sequel to a great movie, even if Gru isn't playing the villain this time around. It's funny, it's ridiculous, and it gives you hope for once proud big screen animated movie just like the original.
  41. Mar 21, 2014
    This movie is so funny!!! The funniest are Minions and Shannon at the date!!!!! Can't wait for the next movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  42. Dec 8, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 loses a bit of the elements that gave the first movie its charm. But, it also adds a whole lot new. This movie works perfectly as a sequel. It shows how Gru has moved on and is adapting to fatherhood, while still retaining his zany lifestyle (sorta.)

DM2, seemed less funny than the first movie, but also had much more heart and depth. In other words improving on the
    formula.

Overall:
    Despicable Me 2 is a fantastic sequel and allot of fun to watch.
  43. Oct 28, 2013
    The plot/story is less tight than the first movie, and the girls were a bit under utilized and not central to the plot. However that said, DM2 is still a very faithful sequel to the first movie. It's still incredibly detailed in visuals, designs, characters, and backgrounds. I found the movie very entertaining and amusing, and nothing was out of place compared to the first movie.
  44. Jul 14, 2013
    I read some reviews saying that this film is about minions funny and just that. But today I watched with my son and he laughed too. I only say two things, nothing very good, but nothing too bad either. A good movie, that's all.
  45. Jul 23, 2013
    A charming and cute follow up to the surprise-hit original that released in 2010. While perhaps not as a fantastic as the original, Despicable Me 2 manages to entertain all the way through.
  46. Dec 29, 2013
    Although this is a film intended for children, who aren't exactly the best at judging whether or not a film is good, I still believe that they should be held against the same scale as other films. with that out of the way, I will now say, this film was, in a word, awful. the plot was boring and bland, the protagonist, Gru, is now boring and flat, and the minions are only there to provide cliched comic relief. there are better ways to spend your money than on this film. Expand
  47. Jul 14, 2013
    Not as good as the first movie, but the minions are hilarious and it's a great movie for anyone who wants a good laugh. I'm giving it an 8 because it didn't quite meet my expectations but was still worth the money.
  48. Jul 20, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is enjoyable, but does not reach the level of enjoyment that its predecessor. This movie is about Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) is now a proud father of 3, and has given up evil for a less exciting life. Suddenly, he is recruited by the Anti Villain League and one of their agents, Lucy Wilde (voiced by Kristen Wiig) to catch someone who has been stealing a dangerous chemical. The plot is not as rich as the original, but still fun for all. This is a must see for kids, especially those who saw the first Despicable Me movie. The minions are much more prevalent in this movie. Expand
  49. May 1, 2014
    I had a lot fun with this one just as much as the original! I do recommend it and i think that if you liked the first part you should defenitely watch this!
  50. Oct 7, 2013
    Predictable, with funny jokes at various times. "Despicable Me 2" does not have the originality of its predecessor. It has good moments but they are no better than "Despicable Me". Okay, "Despicable Me 2" is good but "Despicable Me" is better.
  51. Jul 5, 2013
    You would think that a sequel wouldn't quite live up to the expectations of the first, but surprisingly it does. I really liked this in the fact that it's still as memorable as the first one. Personally I loved the first one better than this one, but you have to give this one credit. It's still that kid-friendly, slapstick funny entertainment that we all still know and love. I love how the character Gru has to deal with having to help save the world and still raise his girls. And I love how this movie tries to add more conflict in the story. I especially loved El Macho. I thought he was a really cool villain. He may have been a little to scary for kids, but he's one cool villain. The love story between Gru and Lucy felt off at some points, but in the end, it works out. Overall, it's a great sequel. Expand
  52. Jul 7, 2013
    Some critics and viewers tend to give sequels bad reviews because of the lack of originality. However, historically with animation, where would we be without building on past successes? The venerated and greatest cartoon family of all, the Warner Brothers "Looney Tunes" period from the mid-1930's to approximately 1980 or so relied on many of the same ideas over and over again, but we still love Bugs Bunny and company with all our hearts.
    The Star Wars and Star Trek series continue on, and there's no reason the Despicable Me movies couldn't become serial, either. First we have great characters in place, Gru, the girls, especially Agnes, of whom it would take a very vile person to dislike, and the hilarious minions. The animators are top notch with better backgrounds and detail than just about any competitor. The story line isn't exactly "Gone With The Wind", but why should it be?
    The minions get more screen time this time around and recall the comic genius of their Looney Tunes ancestors. They are funny and a gold mine for plenty of laughs.
    "Despicable Me 2" lacks the evil edge of the original but makes up for it with plenty of eye candy that you probably won't catch the first time you see it.
    As far as animated films go, this one like the first one is as enjoyable for the adults as it is the kids. Don't let sequel fears make you miss this one.
  53. Jul 13, 2013
    What a fantastic movie. Just saw it in theater and boy was it a blast. It was even better than original (which in my opinion was good). Very funny and had a nice story. Must see.
  54. Aug 22, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie and looked forward to seeing the sequel from the moment I heard it was in production. And as much as I liked the first one, this one fell a bit short of my expectations. Some of the character development was stronger, but I had really hoped for a bit more. The comedy was strong, though at times a bit ambiguous and there was plenty of zaney antics fit for an animated movie. What was missing though was the core of what made the first film so great: a strong plot. While the first movie seems to be a story about a super villain struggling to maintain his status as a villain, it is in fact a story about a fish out of water. A villain who is learning to become a father, but still has to balance his villainy with that lifestyle. This second film is a continuation of the fatherhood aspect and now has less to draw upon as a result. It does well in maintaining a great atmosphere for children and adults alike and I would strongly recommend it for kids of all ages really. Expand
  55. Sep 3, 2013
    This movie is great,but the serious problem is that the most awesome caracters in the movie are the Minions,the rest are very lame.Somthing you should keep in mind because neither the action is very entertaining(exept the minions)
  56. Oct 24, 2014
    Gru is back and this time he isn't so villainous. The second installment is just as enticing and unique as the first, making for a film that boasts just what is needed to draw you in.
  57. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Minions are BACK!! and Better than EVER! I took the kids on July 4th to see Despicable Me 2 and it was a great movie!

For me, the main story regarding GRU took a backseat to whatever the minions were doing. Which isn't to say that the story was bad. The story was a very good comedic tale of a once bad guy becoming a good guy and in the last story the girls got a daddy and this one they get a mommy. Kristen Wiig is amazing as the female love interest and agent for good. The main bad guy in the movie was El Macho, who using a secret syrum, manages to build an invincible super minion. Several million super minions, who are purple with crazy hair and indestructible. I must admit that I found the purple minions as cute as the regular ones.

In the end, Despicable Me 2 was a great sequel with all the same flair and comedic moments as the original. It may not be original, as it builds a lot on the story of the first but it is a great adventure and worthy of watching for those that loved the original.

I highly recommend for those that enjoyed the first and just want a good laugh. I found this movie not as good as the Croods but better than Monsters University.
  58. Jul 13, 2013
    If you're with kids and just want to enjoy with them Despicable Me 2 then this is a must-watch movie but if you want to look at it at a more serious manner, the movie is still a must-watch but it's not as good as the 1st one. I find the story a bit less interesting than the 1st. The story gives a little more importance to the side characters such as Dr. Nefario & the minions but the minions are the only ones you care about. El Macho isn't as good as an antagonist compared to Vector. But even with these bad things about the movie, the movie is still very funny even for an adult and the main characters' father-daughter relationship is still the best which is, to me, the best and the most important part of the movie. As long as the gru's relationship to his daughters still pulls your heart out, this movie will never ever be bad. Expand
  59. Jul 16, 2013
    awesome movie a perfect job for making people laugh i love it good job by universal it is an awesome movie for a family there are very funny moments in the whole movie
  60. Jul 12, 2013
    While it undoubtedly entertains and charms, I just think if the movie is called 'Despicable Me 2', then you should the main character (Gru) despicable.
  61. Sep 26, 2013
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  62. Jul 7, 2013
    The sequel to the hit animation movie is back, so how did it do? The movie was so good, the magic of the characters from the first movie is back with this sequel. The cute little minions were the stars of the movie, every time that they were in a scene, it gives you the feeling that their about to do something memorable. The movie looks good, a perk that makes the characters alive. The movie shifts from a funny scene and evolves into something hilarious throughout the movie. The villain was awesome, his character is one nasty dude, but the problem with this character, is that we don't get to know more about him and was a huge bummer. Gru has a love interest with another new character and they have a chemistry that evolves, which is a good thing because some animation flicks, lacks this a chemistry that develops throughout the movie. The movie looks good, it's funny, it's cute and it's a fun animation flick. I am going to give Despicable Me a 9/10. Expand
  63. Jul 18, 2013
    A Fairly Strong Sequel That Tries To Surpass The Original with It Was Close To Doing The Animation Is Nice, The Story At Times Is A Bit Hokey But Mainly Good, The Characters Are Mixed, For Example The Girls Get Little To No Screen Time, The Minions Play A Bigger Part In The Movie, Lucy Is Trying To Duke Out The Minions For Comic Relief Spot Which Works At Times, If You Can Surpass Those Flaws It's Still A Funny Animated Film. Expand
  64. Jul 5, 2013
    Well it worked! Chris Cabin gave an overwhelmingly negative review to a thoroughly enjoyable and well-done crowd pleaser that will probably earn $300 million domestically and keep the franchise going. I had to click over to "Hipper than Thou" Slant Magazine to read why, as quoted by Metacritic, "the script's jumble of plot asides and family-friendly pandering is enough to make you want to root for a hero."

Half-way through the review, the "reviewer" lays it out there: "To lend even a modicum of nuance or, dare I say it, insight to Agnes's dream [for a mommy to complete her nuclear family] shouldn't be a tall order for an animated romp so predisposed with the idea of the family unit."

What we have in Mr. or Ms. Chris Cabin is an uber-cool messenger of the "down with family, up with tolerance as long as only alternative lifestyles are tolerated" crowd. Poor Chris has mumee or dadee issues, or is homosexual, or is pseudo-enlightened, or just plain too-cool for Gru, the girls, and the minions.

A word to the wise Chris: in the second half of his career, Roger Ebert began ignoring movies that disagreed with his liberal politics, leaving them unreviewed and therefore beneath his contempt. Looking for "narrative and character development" in a family-oriented animated popcorn flick, then decimating the film because it falls short of those lofty standards, says more about the reviewer than it does about the movie under review.

Why don't you stick to reviewing films like "Milk," "Brokeback Mountain," "Philadelphia," and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" that have a less conventional-slash-less uncool things to say about family?
  65. Jul 10, 2013
    this movie is so funny, great to watch with a family and friend. but in the middle or movie, its little bit boring.
    its was superhero movie with a good animation. next year you can see minion movie
  66. Jul 11, 2013
    I think this movie was so funny, just like its prodecessor, Despicable Me 1. It had an appropriate mixture of comedy, action and heartfelt family moments. However, some of the characters should've gotten more screen time and there could've been more romance to make the movie more exciting.
  67. Jul 12, 2013
    I really liked the first movie, but this one was just hilarious! It's an animation movie so I really don't care about the story, which are maybe the weakness point. But the character...in my opition, Grue is not the main character. The funniest part of this movie is his yellow army. All of them make me laught so hard every time I saw them and the end...the two last song make me laught so hard!
    If you want to spend some funny time alone, with friends or with you children, don't hesitate!
  68. Jul 31, 2013
    If there is one thing Despicable Me 2 did well at was where a lot of sequels fail; the story is self-explanatory. Almost no prior knowledge is required to understand the plot and setting of this film as is proof by several of my friends who had not seen the original and yet found Despicable Me 2 both accessible and wildly entertaining.

The characters were also far more diverse in this
    feature than in the original. Rather than just the main characters (Gru, Dr Nefario, the girls, random super-villain, and of course minions) like in the original, Despicable Me 2 featured a wide breadth of supporting roles that made for a more dynamic environment than the original. The film didn't seem quite as constricted or stale.

Despicable Me 2 also abounded with loads of wonderful slapstick humor. Some might call it toilet humor but Hey! Jokes don't have to be complex. And to be fair, there was a noticeable chunk of more subtle, long-running, and intelligent humor. The antics of the minions classifies as its own category of humor; they are definitely one of the main reasons to see to film.

While there was lots of humor to go round, a good deal of supporting characters, and modular plot, I did feel that Despicable Me 2 lacked the heartfelt nature that the original so wonderfully possessed.There was the "I must not cry! Dammit I'm crying" kind of the feel to the end of the original while Despicable Me 2's ending felt cliched. The plot as a whole was sort of emotionless in that sense because you could see it coming from miles away. And when I that, I mean that only in the long term sense of the story. The scenes in actuality jumped from place to place all the time which was frustrating more than it was suspenseful like it was meant to be. It was like they were trying to tell too many different stories with just one movie. And the buildup to the revelation of the supervillain; totally botched. Felt no suspense or surprise whatsoever. One of the worst I've seen yet.

Well besides some need for improvement in the emotions and the plot, Despicable Me 2 did one thing well for certain; it made me laugh till I was out of breath and my cheeks ached. A wonderful comedy if nothing else.
  69. Jul 14, 2013
    A better installment than the first one, where the film doesn't just rely on the 'Minions' for entertainment, but all the characters have some hilarious moments. (Don't get me wrong, the 'Minions' are awesome!) A hilarious and touching animated flick.
  70. Jul 15, 2013
    This is the BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!

it did beat the first one! this is how you do a SEQUEL!

every scene is funny and lovely and i just cant stop laughing!

"I AM SO HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYY!"
  71. Jul 20, 2013
    Never watched the first movie until the morning before going to watch this sequel, gotta say my diabetes count that day was off the chart.

This was a great family film and was very enjoyable even for a grown man myself, easily one of the better films this year.
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    This movie is good enough. The minions are hilarious, but I have to say I think writers abused of them as fun resource. I also agree with most of the reviews here, the story is a bit flat.
  73. Jul 29, 2013
    I loved this movie. Cute minions, good and bad spies. The movie is a bit short though. The first one is a bit longer, but they are both really good. If you have kids, take them to the movies to see this.
  74. Aug 3, 2013
    From beginning to end, I thought this movie was hilarious in the best way describable. The minions hit their stride as always, the humor was absolutely laughable to the point where you can't breathe. Despicable Me 2 is a sequel that is enjoyable and fun for the whole family that is quite honestly rare for any sequel.
  75. Aug 6, 2013
    Es una de esas secuelas que son mejores que su predecesor. Despicable Me 2 es una gran fuente de risas. Y también contiene un ambiente que cumple con su misión, pero no tiene muchas lecciones. Eso es lo único malo de Despicable Me 2 pero todo lo demás esta en mucha abundancia.
  76. Oct 17, 2013
    the movie is not as good as the first one. It could have been a great one but they just ruined. First of all the movie seems forcing itself to be funny with the minions with their gibberish vocabulary, it is funny but not all the time. Then instead of focusing on the main plot which is what the villain is planning, the movie focuses on the romance of two main characters. The main disappointment was the very short confrontation of the villain and the hero. Expand
  77. Aug 13, 2013
    This movie is great.The story is good and also it is very funny.Okay so I haven't watched the first one so I can't compare if this movie has improved or not.And at first I didn't really want to watch this movie because of the title but my friends force me to watch this so I came along with them.And after finishing the movie and leaving the theaters I really enjoyed the movie and then after I came home,I went in my room to score this movie and that is all.So I really enjoyed this movie and I hope you will enjoy this movie.And I am telling you that this movie is great. Expand
  78. May 25, 2014
    A good movie but doesn't outdo it's predecessor well at least not right now maybe after a couple more watches then maybe it will. After the events in the first film Steve Carell (Gru) is done being a villain he now is just a family guy watching over his three daughters. He gets hired by a Anti-Villain League to track down and find this other villain. In this one Gru has a partner Kristen Wiig (Lucy Wilde) she was ok but didn't really see the point of her other then a type of love story but it's Kristen Wiig and i love her so i'm fine with it. The minions were awesome just like in the first film i love the little number at the end of the movie.

Overall i give it a 7.7 will for sure be buying this on blu ray it has tons of laughs throughout the movie. Id recommend this to anyone that has little children also it's one of those kids movies that adults can watch without ripping out their eyes
  79. Aug 19, 2013
    Very awesome movie! A tad bit better than the first one. Very awesome new characters! Hilarious twists. I was laughing in the theater non-stop! Great for kids and adults. Too funny. If you're looking for a great story, original comedy and brilliant heartfelt human and paternal connections this is a must see for you!
  80. Aug 23, 2013
    Alot of heart, but two much of the 'ridiculous comedy' in it. The Minions serve as the saving grace, and ultimately I had to laugh. For families definetly.
  81. Aug 22, 2013
    Despicable me 2 is suppose to be a comedy the humor is lacking and a lot of scenes are pretty stupid.
    The first is way funner and compared to the second one the second one is a two year old movie
  82. Nov 6, 2013
    En ésta época, dónde las películas de Pixar ya decaen en originalidad, "Despicable Me 2" es todo un espectáculo de la misma, superando (en mi opinión) a la película original. La recomiendo a personas que disfruten de la originalidad de los diversos proyectos animados que han llegado a ser recordados por su magistralía: y créanme, las películas de Despicable Me, serán recordadas por sus hermosas historias, sus animaciones penetrantes, sus momentos divertidos y sus personajes originales.
    Una de las mejores películas animadas del año.
  83. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My wife and me (27 and 31 yrs old) have been to see this movie at the cinema yesterday (15.10.2013) but we both decided to leave at the intermission.. I don't complain about the animation itself which is enjoyable and well cared but the plot.. the jokes.. too boring. A few initial smiles then I hardly remeber to even heart the others laughing.. but silence rewarding characters' jokes. Disappointing. Could be nice for kids.. but if we compare to Scroods animation then that one I enjoyed very much so the problem is not the age likely Expand
  84. Oct 18, 2013
    Despicable me was a interesting animation that I saw. But I think Minions are coming by creative mind. They are telling lots of things to kids or us. It is also animation but social messages are very helpful to understand something in our lives. Sometimes we can think like minions from despicable me and this can help us in some situations, and this film can Show us this subject perfectly. This is my hit because this film has a purpose for feeling somethings. Expand
  85. Oct 27, 2013
    Though not like despicable me 1, but it has its own flavor with all of sweetness and fun in it...love minions and their activities.. i think they r the lives of this movie..
  86. Dec 13, 2013
    Minions take center stage against its human counterparts (who are still underdeveloped), and shine in this humorous, yet predictable and light-hearted installment.
  87. Dec 21, 2013
    The first movie Despicable Me I liked more, was coming down target entertain viewers, have a good plot and leave a good message, it gets the same objectives but does not do as above, entertain: this can be see every scene in a humorous moment and there are some that can be achieved and other shows you just giggle, in other comics the few moments I managed to get a laugh. Cast in that this is higher than the first, is based on a smarter idea. Message: This is a message of love, but does not become like the message obtenia previous paternity. I like the truth, but between this and the earlier I prefer Despicable Me. That if the minions are more fun and these characters are the best of the movie. Expand
  88. Jan 13, 2014
    Not as good as the original Despicable Me, with some note of deteriorating jokes, but still as 2013 standout, even if Frozen is one step ahead. There are more minions than ever now, it's humorous and ironic, just how it is expected to be, and the plot is very easy to understand compared to other movies I've seen. A definite choice for a movie.
  89. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel "Despicable Me 2" was an unnecessary sequel. Does that mean I hate it? Of course not; it's still a good movie, just not one that can surpass the first, in my opinion. The slapstick is taken way higher, some jokes were great while others were hit-and-miss, and though the new characters were funny in their own right, none of them really got much character development, save for the villain El Macho. The two things I felt that just came out of nowhere were Margo's short-lived romance with Antonio and Dr. Nefario leaving Gru to do evil again. The former never lead to anything; they shared about two or so scenes together until Antonio left Margo. It just felt out of place and distracted from the main plot. The latter always confused me; I understand Nefario is the one who kidnapped all the Minions and brought them to one place where they could be controlled by El Macho, but why couldn't El Macho just do this himself? And it doesn't take much convincing for Nefario to regroup with Gru. At that point I questioned why he'd even left in the first place. In conclusion, while some parts were memorable and others just didn't work, I find myself saying again this was an unnecessary sequel. It's good, but not great. The first one can't be topped in my opinion, but if you want to just kick back and laugh at more Minion antics, then this is the flick for you. Expand
  90. Feb 15, 2014
    ultimate fun ever before, awesomeness of story music all had great experience even from its first part (despicable me), animation work has much much improved, and 3D experience was really great taste.
  91. Mar 30, 2014
    the sequel is gay . but some parts i enjoy like the purple druggie minions . but however i seen way to many times . since the despicable 3 is cooming soon i wont enjoy that one . Grade D
  92. May 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Can Be the a Kids Favorite but not when Lucy Moves to a Different Country. Minions were OK in the movie. But Kind of the same language as they speak and kids may say the language but the parents won't understand the language. Expand
  93. May 16, 2014
    I didn't expect the second one to be as good as the first one, but it totally was. Soooo entertaining, the kids loved it! Funny, well written and great voice overs too. Thank you Steve!
  94. Jul 29, 2014
    This is a sequel well below its predecessor. "Despicable Me 2" struggles to deliver laughs and this struggle outshines its emotional touch and adorable characters. The plot is uninspired and the minions are far too excessively used here to make the result more entertaining. After a very good first film, "Despicable Me 2" seems pretty unable to keep the franchise going.
  95. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despicable Me 2 (2013) is about the ex-supervillain Gru, who has already denounced his evil deeds to become a loving father of three adopted girls. He is currently adjusting to his new family life and attempts to be a legitimate business man which is in fact, admirable. However, Anti- Villain League kidnapped him and later, put him back in action (as a spy though) because they believe that he would be helpful in solving a crime as Gru should know how a villain thinks and acts. Nonetheless, this sequel also reveals more antics of their characters and minion mischief, where we'll be able to observe their true selves throughout the film and they are all so hilarious!

In brief, this is most likely my favorite 2013 American animated film even though there are a couple more that I haven't watch. I watched this film on theatres last year; it is fun, adorable and it lift up my mood! Some of the scenes are epic and funny; I certainly have had a good laugh watching this film and most of all, there are also plenty of moments that made me go aww! If you liked the first Despicable Me film, you'd find yourselves liking this film too. Most audiences would be amused at the character's antics and the plot twists; it is really a fun and adorable film to watch. And of course, minions fans would love this film to death! I'm definitely anticipating their upcoming films!
  96. Nov 9, 2014
  97. Sep 9, 2014
    Este filme é muito legal. É bom, com várias sacadas, divertido, fala sobre o amor (tanto dos pais quanto de paixão) e ainda fez os Minions virar modinha. Muito legal mesmo.
  98. Nov 13, 2014
    "Despicable Me 2" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: As with the first film, Gru (Steve Carell) is just an entertaining character. For anyone who enjoys villains in cinema and television, there are plenty of well done little barbs and inside jokes in the movie.

The Bad: It just didn't have the heart or the entertainment value of the first film. While it wasn't a bad film, it
    just doesn't quite get going and even drags on in spots. For an animated feature, that's rare. The minions just aren't all that funny anymore. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tasha Robinson
    Jul 10, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 has its charms, in its spritely pacing, a rapid-fire gag-delivery system that hits as often as it misses, and especially in its innovative, expansive use of 3-D space.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 8, 2013
    It's still a first-class charm assault.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Jul 5, 2013
    Despicable Me 2 is far more entertaining than the disappointingly bland "Monsters University" and as a sequel stands level with the first film, and may have the edge on it.