Miramax Films | Release Date: October 29, 1999
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 391 Ratings
Watch Now
GreedyPete69000Aug 11, 2017
Best Visuals. Best Score. Great Voice Acting. Great Story. The Cream. That Sugar. The Richness. That Top Note. That's a 10. Will probably watch this once a year until I die.
CasuallyFeb 10, 2017
Transported to a mystical land of mountain gods and samurais, incredible artistry allows total and utter immersion into a familiar struggle of man vs. nature. Miyazaki yet again provides morally flawed characters so that no obvious individualTransported to a mystical land of mountain gods and samurais, incredible artistry allows total and utter immersion into a familiar struggle of man vs. nature. Miyazaki yet again provides morally flawed characters so that no obvious individual villain can be identified yet it is clear that peace is the ultimate goal. This film would be a ten if it not for an ending which feels unjustifiably rushed after such an astonishingly gorgeous build up. Without a doubt one of Ghibli's finest and a shining example of unique story telling that could have only come from this studio. Expand
alejandro970Jan 19, 2017
The most mature opus of Hayao Miyazaki. The ecological plot, the dialogues a-la Shakespeare and the accidental/impossible love story makes it a mandatory. Not for children.
gOct 8, 2016
The computer FX and the visuals of the story is just anything you could write if Ghibli hadn't done this. But I love both Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away at the same time. I love getting inspirations everywhere and films like this, it'sThe computer FX and the visuals of the story is just anything you could write if Ghibli hadn't done this. But I love both Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away at the same time. I love getting inspirations everywhere and films like this, it's where it'll get me to do my own style of animation. Anyone who will really be upcoming filmmakers, the Japanese dosen't mind using their style of animation, I love Hayao Miyazaki. Expand
TheGreatDustyCZAug 3, 2016
Personally for me, its just only the BEST animated movie on Earth. Hayao Miyazaki is a great director and this is his masterpiece. And **** and San" is the greatest track i´ve ever heard. 100%
Antgiog1202Jul 7, 2016
Stunning hand-drawn animation, vast creativity, an abundance of charcterization, Princess Mononoke possess it all. It has an extremely dark atmosphere that was absolutley neccessay towards the plot that involves a war with dark spirits andStunning hand-drawn animation, vast creativity, an abundance of charcterization, Princess Mononoke possess it all. It has an extremely dark atmosphere that was absolutley neccessay towards the plot that involves a war with dark spirits and raging animals that all create some sort of symbolism. This is Hayao Miyazaki's first PG-13 film and he delivered us a direction that can be opinionated as an R-rated film with it's darkness and bloodiness. This is one of my favorite anime masterpieces, right below the fantastic "Spirited Away."

Rating: 10/10

D = 1.5
D- = 1
F = 0
SEROJApr 9, 2016
One of the most beautiful stories about nature,friendship and war! Great story, superb soundtrack, fun characters and amazing visuals, makes Princess Mononoke a MUST-WATCH!
LimGunsSep 14, 2015
A really great film. The animation is beautiful, the story is great, and and the soundtrack is good too. I'm giving it an eight mainly because I watched the dubbed version, which is painfully average ( compared to most dub's, which areA really great film. The animation is beautiful, the story is great, and and the soundtrack is good too. I'm giving it an eight mainly because I watched the dubbed version, which is painfully average ( compared to most dub's, which are usually terrible), and the character's seemed a bit one-dimensional to me, especially **** (The dub doesn't help) Expand
ViolettSep 1, 2015
Amazing movie from Studio Ghibli. Miyadzaki genius in all its power. Wonderful, but rough tale of friendship, love, hatred, and full of ancient Japanese magic. I didn't put 10 mark because the plot is sometimes is kinda weird. Same as HowlsAmazing movie from Studio Ghibli. Miyadzaki genius in all its power. Wonderful, but rough tale of friendship, love, hatred, and full of ancient Japanese magic. I didn't put 10 mark because the plot is sometimes is kinda weird. Same as Howls Moving Castle. Expand
AriseAndBeAug 7, 2015
Definitely one of the most overrated Ghibli films, Princess Mononoke is a nice movie with an amazing soundtrack and multi-dimensional characters. However the plot suffers from being too uneven, with so many things going on I felt that theDefinitely one of the most overrated Ghibli films, Princess Mononoke is a nice movie with an amazing soundtrack and multi-dimensional characters. However the plot suffers from being too uneven, with so many things going on I felt that the film struggled to stay grounded. It is the opposite to films like The Secret World of Arriety where there isn't much plot at all, Mononoke simply has too much plot in my opinion. Expand
DeathGodKainJul 28, 2015
I personally enjoyed it very much. But honestly it's difficult for me to find a movie that I don't enjoy. I'm basically the whore of animated movies. Sure the movie is longer than most want it to be but the movie was paced well around it.I personally enjoyed it very much. But honestly it's difficult for me to find a movie that I don't enjoy. I'm basically the whore of animated movies. Sure the movie is longer than most want it to be but the movie was paced well around it. Sure the movie could have been quicker or slower but if they did that then so many loose ends would be left. And as for those who can't understand why he doesn't return to his village. It's one of their rules once you leave you are no longer allowed to return and his "love" interest is his younger sister who wished him goodbye forever. Sure the arrowhead didn't have much significance to the story but why should it, in the end it was a gift for the wolf girl because he cares for her and much like his sister wanted her to be safe even if they never met again, or met as enemies.

Yes the movie had no villain but that's the point life doesn't have a villain that's all based on perspective the movie shows you the good of both sides so that you can see and understand that there is no villain they are simply humans trying to live and survive in the changing world. I know that the wolf girl "loves" the main guy (I can't remember their name). Their relationship wasn't really romantic in the slightest sure he said some things here and there but she didn't really do much beside protect and look after him according to her debts and the spirits. I think they have a deep and true admiration for one another but I personally wouldn't call it love.

Aside from some personal preferences here and there I loved it. I'd watch it again.
DokaluJun 30, 2015
This is a classical animated film that goes into history. Perfect. Studio Ghibli gave a try to the old Japanese stories, the old warriors and tribes, and the old mythology, and it did it just perfectly. The animation is excellent, the actionThis is a classical animated film that goes into history. Perfect. Studio Ghibli gave a try to the old Japanese stories, the old warriors and tribes, and the old mythology, and it did it just perfectly. The animation is excellent, the action scenes are very well made, and the story, although cliched about some things, is incredibly original and impressive, given how many things they were able to put inside a single movie, and do everything about them so right. Nothing drags or is boring here. For the animation lovers, or even good movies lovers, watch it. Expand
hanneguacamoleJun 12, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hayao Miyazaki is my hero and Princess Mononoke is basically his masterpiece. I've watched it at least twice before but I think this is the first time that its messages and overall beauty really sank in. It's so beautiful and complex that you will have a hard time finding a movie to rival it.

This world is centered on nature – on gods, on spirits and demons, and most importantly on the forest. When **** the protagonist, is infected with a curse of hate he must leave his village and seek the cure, but instead he finds himself in the middle of a war that is much bigger than himself. "See what you can see with eyes unclouded by hate." And that's exactly what he tries to do.
Princess Mononoke has an intricate storyline with multi-dimensional characters. Take Lady Eboshi. She has saved these women from working in brothels and houses the lepers and gave them a better place to live and to work, but she also has some intentions that are in line with greed and involve much death. We have to take the good with the bad in each character to see who they truly are. "The world is cursed, but still you find reasons to keep living."

As an outsider of IronTown and its problems, **** is able to come and serve as somewhat of a peacemaker, trying to save the forest but protecting everyone fighting as well. He has seen hatred and it consumes him and doesn't want it anywhere it doesn't have to be. **** also finds a friend (and love interest?) in San – our very own Princess Mononoke. He would not have survived in this environment without her. She saved his life and in a way he saves hers as well.

The centerpiece of this war and fighting is the Forest Spirit. He protects the forest and "The forest spirit gives life and takes life away. Life and death are his alone." He saves ****'s life from the bullet wound so **** must carry on living. Lady Eboshi finally succeeds in taking the Forest Spirit's head, but doing so simultaneously kills many things and destroys the forest. He was its protector but he can't live without a head. San and **** have to return the head so all of the Spirit's madness will stop, but he doesn't return back to life. He slips away into the lake. "The great Forest Spirit is dead now." "Never. He's life itself."

The forest regrows right before their eyes and everyone must start anew – perhaps a life without hate. San and **** have had their curses lifted, but **** still can't return home. Not after what he's seen. They love each other and that's what the Forest Spirit is all about. This experience can only enlighten everyone it involved and hope for a life without as much greed and hatred.

Princess Mononoke not only has a deeply fulfilling and amazing storyline, the animation and detail in every scene and every frame is breathtaking. It's all hand-drawn and I can't recall a movie that is more beautiful in every sense of the world. Truly a masterpiece.
paulthetallguyApr 12, 2015
This is Miyazaki's most intelligent and mature story.

This is Miyazaki's most intelligent and mature story.

The characters are incredibly realistic, the nature-depicting art is beautiful as always, and there are multiple themes going on. This is an anti-war film, a environmental film, a film about life and death, a film about love and hatred, and a love story, all in one. This is not a film to miss.
heathermMar 28, 2015
Princess Mononoke is a wildly inventive fable that explores the tensions between the human and natural worlds. Our main character **** remains resolutely in the middle of the two female leads, the Lady Eboshi and Princess Mononoke, whichPrincess Mononoke is a wildly inventive fable that explores the tensions between the human and natural worlds. Our main character **** remains resolutely in the middle of the two female leads, the Lady Eboshi and Princess Mononoke, which forces the viewer to assess both sides of the conflict for their merits and problems. Other reviews have said that its message is easy or straightfowrad, but I think it's incredibly complex--both the forest and the ironworks seem to be granted an essential right to exist, and it feels like the impossible goal is to find a way for them to exist together peacefully. These problems aren't presented moralistically, however, as our main character stumbles into this complex situation as part of an already-engaging plot, and the various story elements are gracefully brought together into one essential conflict.

The characters and their problems are well-rounded, as Miyazaki makes excellent use of the movie's long runtime to develop the protagonists. Everything is, of course, gorgeously animated. The animal gods in particular are beautiful and inventively portrayed; the way the animals' speech is animated is especially engaging. The many action and battle scenes as well are skilfully done, so that the action is both fast-paced and followable.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed by this movie and I'm sure I'll watch it again to try to tease out more of the problems. This movie gives a lot of thought to the essential and complex problems of humans and human society, and it urges viewers to consider these problems as well. A smart, beautiful, and thought-provoking film.
NerdConsultantJan 10, 2015
Princess Mononoke is beautiful movie with an environmental story that is both subtle and engaging. the acting is great backing up well written characters and the animation is amazing highlighting the merits of hand drawn animation. i love thePrincess Mononoke is beautiful movie with an environmental story that is both subtle and engaging. the acting is great backing up well written characters and the animation is amazing highlighting the merits of hand drawn animation. i love the design choices and it makes the world feel alive which i'm certain was the film makers intention. i highly recommend this film it was just brilliant though i will say it's not for very young children (and you won't believe how many times i've herd that parents have bought it for their kids on the ground that it's animated) Expand
YewSpell8314Jun 26, 2014
What makes "Princess Mononoke" so good, is the fact that it is entirely original. The story, the characters, the creatures, the world - director/writer Hayao Miyazaki has made all of it with such certainty and wit that I fail to describe. TheWhat makes "Princess Mononoke" so good, is the fact that it is entirely original. The story, the characters, the creatures, the world - director/writer Hayao Miyazaki has made all of it with such certainty and wit that I fail to describe. The spirit and the emotion of the film are as good as the visual style and music. Altogether, I'd say that "Princess Mononoke" is definitely a must-watch. Expand
InlikeflynnJun 8, 2014
Great movie!

Great movie!

In my honest opinion is the best film that director Hayao Miyazaki has done, excellent story with well done writing, fluid and graceful animation with wonderful character designs, great action scenes and colorful backgrounds and great soundtrack... there is a lot of work putted in the development of this movie, I can't imagine what was going through the mind of Miyasaki but I can tell he was in love with this story.

If there is one complaint I have is with the ending, is not bad but is rather weak compared with the rest of the movie, but maybe it was meant to be that way. Princess Mononoke is just a great movie... I highly recommend this one if you haven't watched it.
RoboticaRocCityMay 27, 2014
Visually this film is an artistic masterpiece. The conflict of Nature vs. Innovation has often been used but it has never had the proper moral. If you are looking for a snapshot of Miyazaki you cannot pick a better film than this.
HEIMDAL13Feb 22, 2014
For me this is my favorite animation movie of all time, I saw it when I was still a child and it shocked me.
Unlike other animation movies, it has a very original plot. The settings are also very uncommon and the drawings are awesome, an authentic masterpiece.
The characters are very special, every character has her own personality and behavior, whit lots of references to the real world nowadays. It’s not the generic movie with the good guys and the bad guys, more mature story line than the majority of animation movies.
The timing is perfect, whit the correct amount of action scenes, funny moments and the progression of story.
Iky009Jan 2, 2014
Uma dos melhores filmes de Miyazaki, com certeza sua história e personagens são cativantes, o visual como sempre um dos pontos fortes e sem contra que sua trilha sonora belíssima.
MasoomiSep 10, 2013
"Princess Mononoke" is simply a masterpiece. I have watched it 3 times and I'm sure I'll watch many times more. why the mediocre critic reviews? I say mediocre because it is the best animation I've ever seen and I have seen lots of them.
askewglassesAug 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best part of the film is how the characters are written, they act like real people. Complications occur only because of the consequences of other's actions, which, to an extent, are justified. Another good thing is the subtle environmental message, it isn't hammered in like most North American films. Rather this Japanese anime shows us that we are supposed to draw our own conclusions about the environment. The animation is fluid, very well done, and the character designs, not just for the humans, look great. Also the backgrounds are phenomenal and spectacular to look at. This film would not work if it wasn't animated, it really uses its medium to the full extent. Expand
DASTAN10Aug 8, 2013
Absolutely out this world! this epic movie is a league on its own, with depth and laudable cause. Masterpiece! A real movie will this one should be awesome, in fact we saw some of the concept in a recent version of Snow White...!
KrisZpJul 23, 2013
It's a masterpiece, I basically grew up with that movie and so I have listened to it many many times both in English and Japanese. If you like anime you need to watch this.
hardkor33Jul 23, 2013
Another masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animation movies I've ever seen. The story is excellent and the characters are perfectly thought out. And the music in this movie is as ever brilliant in aAnother masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki. Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animation movies I've ever seen. The story is excellent and the characters are perfectly thought out. And the music in this movie is as ever brilliant in a Miyazaki film. A true experience to watch. Expand
KenikkiJun 27, 2013
Visually, Princess Mononoke shines right off the bat. The design and movement of the demonic boar god is among the most impressive bits of animation I've come across. In addition to the fluid and gorgeous animation, the action is done so wellVisually, Princess Mononoke shines right off the bat. The design and movement of the demonic boar god is among the most impressive bits of animation I've come across. In addition to the fluid and gorgeous animation, the action is done so well it will immediately pull you in. And we will witness several more sequences of this caliber before the end.

Fortunately, it’s beauty and action are merely the outer shell of it’s brilliance. The most impressive aspect of Princess Mononoke is its ability to display each side of every conflict and how well it all ties in with the movie’s core theme: Man Vs. Nature. We understand what both the people of Iron Town and the inhabitants of the great forest fight for and why. We sympathize and even root for both sides to win. Even Jigo the main antagonist is given clear motivation for his actions, not to mention a likable personality.
When speaking of the characters in Princess Mononoke, it has to be mentioned how great the performances are in the English dub. Best are Minnie Driver as Lady Eboshi, Keith David as Okkoto and Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo.

Our hero is one of the reasons why this story works as well as it does. He is our viewing platform. We observe everything through his perspective and follow his ideals since he is our hero. He is neutral so we become neutral. If he would have been fighting solely on one side, the film’s ultimate message; man & nature needs to function more cohabit-ably together, or all will perish would have differed greatly.

In the end I'll simply say that Princess Mononoke is one of the greatest animated movies ever made. I urge anyone and everyone to watch this movie and see for yourselves what a gem it is

Full review: http://kenikkiscorner.blogspot.se/2013/06/anime-movie-review-princess-mononoke.html
shpreaJun 27, 2013
Princess Mononoke is without a doubt Miyazaki's best work. It has all the creativity of Spirited Away along with a far more mature and compelling plot line. The animation is beautiful, the music is uplifting, and the characters are allPrincess Mononoke is without a doubt Miyazaki's best work. It has all the creativity of Spirited Away along with a far more mature and compelling plot line. The animation is beautiful, the music is uplifting, and the characters are all memorable. If you like films, do yourself a favor and watch this movie. Expand
Skullgirlsfan13May 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you have looked at my account you may have noticed that I have this fondness for anime films, I just want to so that I'm again not a huge anime fan, but I do enjoy some anime once in a while. It's a very impressive art form, and is demonstrated very well in this film. The art style in this feature is some of the best one will ever see, the forest is a beauty look at, the village is well structured design that fits very well; of course. The animation is a bit behind compared to what studio Ghibli makes today, but is barely a difference because any film made by them is always great to look at. Now about the main cast of characters, they're well done, but I can say that at certain scenes they don't really work well with the scene. Such parts like when they first meet, the ending to that is not that good: "go away" she says, it's like not much thought went into that part. Of course since this is by a children's movie company, there's going to be some themes. This one talks about nature mostly, and is fortunately not shoved into your face like some would. Along with great animation there's also a great feeling of scale, this is categorized as an epic after all. The size and scope of this film makes it seem much more; for lack of a better word, epic. Also there's some very fine good action, even bits that seem very graphic, and further adds to the atmosphere. In the end, probably one of the best animated films out there, and I also think this is also in the shadow of better films like spirited away. But should still be looked at. Expand
EVISpinerdApr 23, 2013
I would go as far to say that Princess Mononoke is as perfect a film as one could ever make. Miyazaki has created an experience that is visually and emotionally arresting. Each frame of this film could be sold as a painting, it's just thatI would go as far to say that Princess Mononoke is as perfect a film as one could ever make. Miyazaki has created an experience that is visually and emotionally arresting. Each frame of this film could be sold as a painting, it's just that beautiful. Miyazaki's message of tolerance, self-control, and finding harmony with our surroundings is equally beautiful the amazing thing about Princess Mononoke's narrative is that there is no concrete antagonist; you could find something relatable and lovable about every character drawn to the screen. The performances delivered by the voice actors for the Japanese and English versions- are both top notch.

This is a film that will survive the test of time due to its visual and thematic majesty, and each of these beautifully realized properties work together to make an experience that is easy to get lost in again and again. Everyone should give this film a watch, it offers so much more to an audience than just escapism; it serves to delight as much as it does teach.