7.8

1. May 31, 2013
    A ridiculous movie about a kick boxer's (Alain) relationship with a whale trainer (Stefanie), obviously not your everyday people. After Stefanie loses her legs, they have sex, but afterwards, on another date, Alain goes off right in front of Stefanie to spend an evening with another woman he just met. Stefanie says to him "we're not animals," but she's wrong as that's exactly what AlainA ridiculous movie about a kick boxer's (Alain) relationship with a whale trainer (Stefanie), obviously not your everyday people. After Stefanie loses her legs, they have sex, but afterwards, on another date, Alain goes off right in front of Stefanie to spend an evening with another woman he just met. Stefanie says to him "we're not animals," but she's wrong as that's exactly what Alain is. Alain loves his son, which presumably makes him ok guy I would have given this movie a 1 had it not been for the good acting and direction as I think the plot and characters are garbage. Expand
  2. May 17, 2013
    The premise of the film was certainly ambitious. Not sure I can remember a movie attempting to cover so much ground. Perhaps that was the problem, as little effort was made to develop the characters or, perhaps they were just all rather depressing, pitiful and flat. The story is somewhat dark, gritty and largely unredeeming. Save your money.

Rust and Bone doesn't earn the ending it delivers.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Jan 23, 2013
    The filmmaker has created a haunting movie, one that connects on a visceral level that defies easy explication. The unembellished performances by Cotillard and Schoenaerts exude a raw authenticity that anchor the film's grander melodrama and embed the characters in the viewer's memory.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jan 18, 2013
    Rust and Bone is somber and gritty if nothing else, a movie that takes itself very, very seriously, even as it struggles at times to find its focus.