Thor

7.1

1. May 22, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me this movie took only a couple weeks to make. The story was absolute garbage. None of the brother jealously got fleshed out until the end. The government cover up didn't add anything to the plot, and the wishy washy romance was so unnecessary and shallow it just made you wonder why Natalie portman's character even needed to be in the movie. II wouldn't be surprised if someone told me this movie took only a couple weeks to make. The story was absolute garbage. None of the brother jealously got fleshed out until the end. The government cover up didn't add anything to the plot, and the wishy washy romance was so unnecessary and shallow it just made you wonder why Natalie portman's character even needed to be in the movie. I believe the only reason they made this movie was to provide some sort of backstory for when they release The Avengers. But this was not well developed nor does there appear to be any time or effort spent by the writers. Acting and production quality was good but what an awful story. Expand
  2. May 17, 2011
    Very weak movie. Subpar acting, plot not at all in the spirit of the comic! Since when was Thor about romance? And why, good gods, WHY is there a black man playing a Norse god? I suppose it's ok for asian communities to get their panties in a twist over Avatar the last airbender and Caucasians, but the opposite? Not so much, I suppose...
  3. Aug 26, 2011
    I have enjoyed every marvel comic turned action adventure movie since X-Men. They haven't always been great but they have always been fun and entertaining. This movie was anything but. Chris Hemsworth is terrible. The relationship between Thor and his father is weakly developed even though it is critical to the plot. The chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hemsworth is nonexistent. TheI have enjoyed every marvel comic turned action adventure movie since X-Men. They haven't always been great but they have always been fun and entertaining. This movie was anything but. Chris Hemsworth is terrible. The relationship between Thor and his father is weakly developed even though it is critical to the plot. The chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hemsworth is nonexistent. The story moves at a snails pace and the action sequences are lacking any semblance of potency or originality. It looks like all the fight choreography was stole from a Jet Li movie. The battle with the giant red eyed robot is laughable. And, the final confrontation with Loki made me wish I had a bridge to jump off of as well. Hopefully, Hemsworth won't ruin The Avengers next year. With any luck, all of his speaking parts will find their way to the cutting room floor. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    When I went to the cinema to see it not that eager tubiera ... But pay to see this crap? By God, you freak! It is very bad and ridiculous. With a plot that looks like the movie "Enchanted".
  5. May 6, 2011
    Not a very good movie. Acting was good. Everything else sucked. Costumes, sucked. Plot, sucked. Special effects weren't very special. I can't believe someone said that the emotional core of 'Thor' was deep. The "love" affair in the movie was as completely contrived as one might expect. Just not a very good movie.
  6. May 7, 2011
    This movie was a complete waste of time. The action was uninspired and dull, the writing was nonexistent and the characters were completely flat. The only reason this movie existed was to give an origin story to Thor for next year's Avengers movie.
  7. May 9, 2011
    Bhoring. The sets are straight out of "Flash Gordon." The plot is straight out of "Masters of the Universe." The direction is straight out of the Joel Schumacher school of filmmaking.
  8. May 6, 2011
    Thor is the God of Thunder , the movie was amazing , great cast and visual effect. I LOVE IT.I hope the C.America do the same with my mind lol and the Avengers.
  9. May 16, 2011
    Looks like they sent in the B team to do this one, I hope that means that the A Team is responsible for making Captain America because it's going to be a real shame if they don't get that one right!!
  10. Dec 29, 2011
    i hated this movie. i just really didnt like it, i was annoyed when i watched it. the visuals were great, but that was the only good thing about the movie. the acting was bad, the story was messy, the "love story" (if you can ever call it that) was completely unbelievable and was were there so many tilted shots (it seemed like the movie had more tilted shots than normal horizontali hated this movie. i just really didnt like it, i was annoyed when i watched it. the visuals were great, but that was the only good thing about the movie. the acting was bad, the story was messy, the "love story" (if you can ever call it that) was completely unbelievable and was were there so many tilted shots (it seemed like the movie had more tilted shots than normal horizontal shots.why??). it felt that the movie should have been split into two separate film, but that would have never worked. the only interesting thing was the lokki plot (that and the visuals are the only reason it has 3 ). i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. awful film. Expand
  11. May 9, 2011
    Perhaps it's because I did not realise this was based on a comic before seeing the film, but I was just surprised by what this film ended up being. I'm not biased against comic book themed movies - in fact I generally like them - its just that the melding of ancient mythology, comic style and the 21st century seemed so odd. The story just does not stand up - in fact, it makes very littlePerhaps it's because I did not realise this was based on a comic before seeing the film, but I was just surprised by what this film ended up being. I'm not biased against comic book themed movies - in fact I generally like them - its just that the melding of ancient mythology, comic style and the 21st century seemed so odd. The story just does not stand up - in fact, it makes very little sense. The motivations of Loki were just incomprehensible and the transformation - seemingly in 5 minutes - of Thor from an arrogant war monger to a great leader and peacemaker was poorly done. The special effects in the film were impressive - but that's not really a plus these days, it's just a given - however, I thought the sound effects were poor, especially the continued high pitched 'electrical storm' sound effects that happened regularly. I found myself regularly wincing. Overall - not a film I would recommend. Expand
  12. May 8, 2011
    This film is what happens when you take Norse Mythology and mess it up into an incomprehensible mess. The only good thing are the special effects. But that's to be expected with our current technology.
  13. Nov 12, 2011
    By far the worst Marvel movie I have ever seen in my life... it was cheesy corny and im so glad i saw it for free because i wouldnt pay a dime to see it again... if you actually enjoyed this movie and is looking forward to thor 2 ....you need to recheck yourself.
  14. Jun 3, 2011
    Pathetic movie. People rating this movie extremely high had to be drunk when seeing this film. First off the movie was no better than your typical Tv Sci Fi flick. The humor was uninspired as were the action sequences which all only lasted rougly 1-2 minutes. For Thor claiming himself to be "THE MIGHTY THOR" all throughout the film gee not much might was demonstrated. His great genericPathetic movie. People rating this movie extremely high had to be drunk when seeing this film. First off the movie was no better than your typical Tv Sci Fi flick. The humor was uninspired as were the action sequences which all only lasted rougly 1-2 minutes. For Thor claiming himself to be "THE MIGHTY THOR" all throughout the film gee not much might was demonstrated. His great generic comeback sequence was over before it even began. Expand
  15. May 9, 2011
    This is just another Hollywood film, taking an already established and respected series and converting it to a movie with no depth at all. The story is so simple and shallow, and after 30mins into the movie, anyone can predict whats going to happen. Arrogant heir calls for war against the frost giants, inadvertently disrupts the weak truce, loses his power, meets and falls for localThis is just another Hollywood film, taking an already established and respected series and converting it to a movie with no depth at all. The story is so simple and shallow, and after 30mins into the movie, anyone can predict whats going to happen. Arrogant heir calls for war against the frost giants, inadvertently disrupts the weak truce, loses his power, meets and falls for local scientist, and through some apparent unknown reason, gets his power back through a valuable lesson and beats the bad guy. No originality here. The romance is weak, Portman and Hemsworth know each other for about 3days yet they are so smitten by each other and care about each other so much. There was also no character development. We really don't know who are Thor's 4 companions are. Action scenes had good effect, but it was nothing too special, just a lot of CGI. There were many cliches in the movie and no suspense at all. It is very obvious who let the frost giants in. Overall, storyline was weak, no character depth, and most scenes became dull. If you are into an action movie with very little story, weak dialogue, and a very basic & simple lot, but with some average actions but good CGI to go with it, this is your movie to go. A disappointment as a movie. Expand
  16. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gaudy nonsense, Natalie Portman seems a bit like a fish out of water. Chis Hemsworth is attractive enough but he's all flash no BANG or substance to the character. There is no romantic atmosphere between the two mains. Very run of the mill plot and far too much special effects going on to even give the any of the crappy plot they had a chance. They could have had fun with Loki but they really didn't (he's supposed to be a trickster!) I'd have been happy with mediocre malevolent ursurper instead of emo jealous wimp. many of the characters seem quite pointless. By the end of the movie I just really was not enjoying it, not even as a popcorn flick. Expand
  17. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand the premise of this movie. I'm certainly no high-brow guy but good Lord this picture was just bad. The story was non-existent, the characters were clichéd, the plot line was flat. Natalie Portman falls for a mysterious comic book-type superhero. Yeah, that's completely believable. An adopted pseudo-superhero has jealousy issues between himself and his brother as he takes over his home planet to fight for his daddy's approval.

Yowza. This movie is trash.
  18. May 31, 2011
    Horrible movie. To all Ultimate Advenger/Marvel fans, this movie was a disgrace. Quite unsure what Marvel was doing here, but this was a total embarrashment to the Marvel name. For people who do not kno anything about Thor, they might enjoy this movie. Total bummer to Thor supporters!
  19. Jan 24, 2012
    Hemsworth, Hopkins, and Hiddleston were great in this film and were perfectly casted for this film. However the rest of the film was terrible. The rest of the cast sucked and didnt sell their parts well, the action was terrible, and the director did a terrible job bringing Thor to life. Really disapointing film.
  20. May 31, 2012
    Thor was by far the worst superhero movie of all time. The movie was like a science fiction version of Twilight. The movie will put you to sleep within like, two minutes. Unless you are a hardcore Thor fan, do not even consider renting this movie.
  21. Sep 30, 2011
    I was hoping this movie would follow in the path of movies like the dark knight, x-men, or spiderman series but instead it is more in line with the hulk, ugggh. The whole movie was a snore, lots of cgi that looks like you have seen a thousand time before. Thor's character was corny, the script was poor with lots of stupid dialog that made it more like a cartoon script. Definitely don'tI was hoping this movie would follow in the path of movies like the dark knight, x-men, or spiderman series but instead it is more in line with the hulk, ugggh. The whole movie was a snore, lots of cgi that looks like you have seen a thousand time before. Thor's character was corny, the script was poor with lots of stupid dialog that made it more like a cartoon script. Definitely don't buy, maybe rent. Expand
  22. Nov 26, 2011
    While the main cast did a solid job, The CGI was absolutely terrible and looked very bad. The action was also pretty terrible as well. The franchise has a ton of potential though.
  23. Oct 30, 2011
    by Satan that movie more absurd, nonsensical, badly directed, badly acted, inconsistent and not at all entertaining, the special effects were nothing surprising.
  24. Oct 12, 2011
    Honestly, ZERO is too high for this movie. Big shame artists like Portman and Hopkins take roles in such movies for money. Wasted two hours of my life watching it because of surprisingly high ratings of other people :-(
  25. Oct 11, 2011
    If you ever have a childhood and you watched Hercules of Disney´s you'll find that this movie is the same, is just too infantile, the humor is too stupid and the action is too short and for some moments you just don´t know what is happening or why are they doing
  26. Sep 28, 2011
    I dont really think this movie rates a 0, but I'm trying in my small way to counteract the 10's given. 10? Are you kidding me? This movie was, at best, average and forgettable. It's a feel good movie, only good for children or easy to please adults of low intelligence. It should have been a better movie. The only actors who were believable at all were Loki and the Laufey. And I thoughtI dont really think this movie rates a 0, but I'm trying in my small way to counteract the 10's given. 10? Are you kidding me? This movie was, at best, average and forgettable. It's a feel good movie, only good for children or easy to please adults of low intelligence. It should have been a better movie. The only actors who were believable at all were Loki and the Laufey. And I thought both of them should have been much more formidable. I'm sure my small children would give this movie a 7 or 8, but as an adult, I'd give it maybe a 4. C'mon Hollywood, Thor is a great concept, cant you do better? Expand
  27. Oct 12, 2011
    The cinematography and CGI are amazing, which is to be expected with a big budget film. However, the story is slow and plodding. The whole thing seemed like a back story for the Avengers film, which may be necessary but is far from entertaining.
  28. Oct 26, 2011
    Chris H was absolutely spot on for the role of Thor...... What a waste.... the dialogue is wooden... There were better plots and effects in the old land of the lost tv series...... and if this wasnt bad enough, they had to force feed it the usual formula love interest as well......
  29. May 16, 2012
    all of the female characters in this movie have bafflingly bad dialogue. the writing is especially underwhelming for natalie portman (who stumbles through this entire movie much as she did in star wars ep1) and kat dennings made me wanna punch stuff for how stupid and unfunny her character was. at one point she takes a picture of thor on her phone and says "this is going straight toall of the female characters in this movie have bafflingly bad dialogue. the writing is especially underwhelming for natalie portman (who stumbles through this entire movie much as she did in star wars ep1) and kat dennings made me wanna punch stuff for how stupid and unfunny her character was. at one point she takes a picture of thor on her phone and says "this is going straight to facebook." Loki was the best written character and had some complexity to him to a level that was completely off the charts compared to the rest of the characters. every other character is a cliche with the subtlety of a screaming baby Expand
  30. Dec 12, 2011
    that movie SUCKED! there was barely any action so i don't know WHY they said it was an action movie! Don't buy it! The only reason i gave it a one is because it was entertaining for the first five minutes, then it got confusing and boring.
  31. Jul 15, 2012
    After Iron Man and Hulk, next up was Thor for introduction to the cinema-going masses in preparation for his role in The Avengers.

In comparison with most other superheroes, not only being from another world but a God at that, the story of Thor is probably one of the more difficult stories for adaptation. By dealing with other worlds and deities, as superhero stories go, Thor is more magical and less grounded than say Captain America or Batman. The result is a hit and miss comic book adaptation that suffers from a poor villain, too much mythology and fantasy, unmemorable fight scenes and an occasionally cheesy script. Chris Hemsworth is likeable as Thor, he delivers both the brash arrogance and later sincerity of the character and although I haven't seen The Avengers I hope his character is given a reasonable amount of time.

The story benefits most when Thor is exiled to Earth, the subsequent clash of cultures with scientist Natalie Portman is funny in places, although the line about a phone picture going straight onto Facebook may win 'cheesiest line of the year'.

Having read differing reviews of Tom Hiddleston's Loki, I side with the negative. Comparisons of the actor's portrayal with Heath Ledger's Joker are way wide of the mark. Thor's brother Loki is as unmemorable a villain as I can remember.

A must see for any comic book or Avengers fan but not the greatest superhero film.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jul 29, 2011
    The standards for comic book superhero movies have been established by "Superman," "The Dark Knight," "Spider-Man 2" and "Iron Man." In that company "Thor" is pitiful. Consider even the comparable villains (Lex Luthor, the Joker, Doc Ock and Obadiah Stane). Memories of all four come instantly to mind. Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 12, 2011
    The year's most divided movie to date; everything that happens in the higher realms, vaguely derived from Nordic legend, is posturing nonsense, whereas the scenes down here are managed, for the most part, with dexterity and wit. [16 May 2011, p. 133]
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    May 11, 2011
    This is eminently missable, though the mosaic design of Asgard, Thor's mythical realm, is pretty cool.