6.9

1. May 7, 2011
    The reason I loved Thor was because it performed well on a few fronts. The Special Effects are the best to date. Thor is portrayed very closely to his comic character, in terms of Powers, attitude,etc. The arc of th story was well laid out and the pacing was balanced. It was a brilliant way to bring a really fantastic un-real world of Marvel Comics and Norse Mythology into an almost plausible reality. Props to the principle cast, and Brannagh may be the ultimate reason this Stan Lee creation works so well on screen Expand
  2. May 8, 2011
    Thor was so much better than I thought it would be. A lover of highbrow, thought provoking movies. Wow, this was so much fun!! I was worried about no substance, all action, etc. and yeah, it kind of is. But, come on it's science fiction and fantasy mixed and does a good job at both. What more could you want? Oh, yeah, the hottest guy to hit the screen since Brad Pitt. As a classical trained actor Thor comes across as a well educated, gallant, god of a man. Kenneth Braghnaugh combines the old and new with genuine laughs and only a few " Oh, no" groans at some cheesy lines. History buffs might me a little disappointed in the lack of backstories, but it finds it's way in in little patches. Hammer on God of Thunder!! Expand
  3. May 8, 2011
    Yesterday night I had the honor of watching Thor, and if I had to describe the experience, I would day that I was geniunely impressed. Allow me to go through each key category in detail (without spoilers) to show you how impressive this movie was:

Story: This film had a surprisingly good storyline to it. It wasn't exactly groundbreaking or even excellent in this area, but it didn't have
    to be. All that had to be done was for director Kenneth Branagh not to mess up. He didn't. 7/10

Acting: This was the film's strong point. Each actor delivers a tremendous performence ESPECIALLY Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Loki plays out as a surprisingly complex character and Hiddleston steal every scene that he's in (no matter how briefly), however this movie belongs to Thor and Hemsworth assures that with his impressive performance. I also must mention Anthony Hopkins as Odin. Lastly, we have our (main?) villian, King Laufey, played by Colm Feore, who you should INSTANTLY recognize as the Lord Marshal from Chronicles of Riddick (They look EXACTLY the same). 9.5/10

Visuals: Before I talk about visuals, I must mention that I saw this movie in 3D, and the only thing worth looking at in 3D is Natalie Portman, save your money and watch it in 2D. The CG in this movie was top notch, however, it's Asguard that shows the visual capabilities of this film and of film in general. Seeing Asgurd was when this film first impressed me, and it is a sight to behold.This movie is one of the best looking out there. 9/10

Sound: Loud. 8/10 Action: Top notch. This wasn't some drunken editing hell like Harry Potter 7, this was fun, fluid action. The only problem is that there was less action than expected, and the biggest action scene happens around 10 minutes in. 8/10.

Overall: This movie kicks ass, and does it in style. It again lives up to Marvel's high standards for Comic Book films. 8.5/10 (for Metacritic's sake, I'll round i up to 9)
  4. May 25, 2011
    I thought it was superb but then I was already a fan before the movie's release. In my opinion the genius was in the casting. Anthony Hopkins as Odin was a master stroke and Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor had just the right amount of pomposity without being too over the top. I did think they missed a comedic opportunity with the Volstag character and took slight liberties with the storyline but those are really only a minor complaints. Overall Mr Branagh really captured the essence of the character which is pretty much all you can ask of a comic book recreation. I left the theater wanting more. Well done. Expand
  5. May 6, 2011
    I saw the movie. One word... Amazing. Branagh captures the essence of the comic and delivers a film that could be a strong contender to be the blockbuster of the summe...
  6. Jun 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Now is the [summer] of our discontent." As pertaining to classically-trained Shakespearean actors starring in "high-concept" movies soon after the phenomenal success of "Jaws", surely it was Alec Guinness, who may have first thought those words on the set of "Star Wars", playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, a film and role he utterly despised. If not for the great white shark that terrorized Amity Beach vacationers just two years earlier, which put an end to the golden age of director-driven movies, Guinness, who played Exeter opposite Laurence Olivier in "Henry V" and then the title role in "Romeo and Juliet", probably wouldn't feel impelled to go anywhere near a light saber or a wrinkly green Jedi. Thirty years later, "selling out" has a new name; it's called "rebranding". And so it goes. Kenneth Branagh, director of the much-ballyhooed "Hamlet", could conceivably have said, "How did I come to this? I played Richard the Third,"(it was actually Alan Rickman in "Galaxy Quest"), because even though Asgard is a long ways off from the Crucible Theater(where Branagh played the Machiavellian king), "Thor", conversely, is also a long ways off from rubbing elbows with the likes of "Daredevil", "Ghost Rider" and "Catwoman". So even though nobody who knows Branagh in his previous incarnation as an Anglophile would be in his right mind to give him "five curtain calls"(like Rickman's Alexander Dane, who plays the Spockish alien Dr. Lazarus in the "Star Trek"-inspired show-within-the movie) for dumbing down with a movies that was motivated by careerism, this high-profile booster of Shakespeare's plays, as a trade-off, has earned himself some hearty applause from the discriminating fanboy, who may be unschooled in the works of the Bard, but can name every superhero in the comic book universe. Unlike Arnold in "Conan the Barbarian", the audience is laughing with Chris Hemsworth, not at him. Personality-wise, the title character is more Dark Horse than Dark Knight. In other words, Branagh uses comic relief as a counterpoint to the obligatory action set-pieces, in very much the same manner as "Hellboy". You don't take Batman to a diner for food and drink, or "sustenance", as Thor puts it, because if the Caped Crusader smashed a glass to the floor, patrons would be heading for the exit in droves. Unencumbered by childhood angst, Thor takes his new surroundings in stride, sporting a convivial spirit you wouldn't expect from a man of the tenth century. The Norse god is also a known entity to the world at-large. In the Guillermo del Toro original, Hellboy is immortalized in comic books("They never get the eyes right," the red creature muses aloud), whereas Thor inspires Erik Selvig, Jane's mentor, to check out "Myths and Legends of the Norse Gods" from the public library. But this isn't your grandfather's Asgard. The capital city of the Norse gods is the gaudiest thing this side of "Flash Gordon". Appropriately enough, Thor looks like a prototypical tight end, a football player, as was Flash, a QB, who finds himself on the planet Mongo, making like Fran Tarkenton in the court of Ming the Merciless, because Hans Zarkov knew that nefarious forces could be behind an unexpected total eclipse of the sun and a moon gone rogue. Resembling Zarkov, she alone keeps chasing wormholes in the New Mexico desert, because both scientists on the fringe believe that science fiction and science fact could very well be one and the same. As a result, she is more willing to accept the existence of Asgard than her hypothetical-minded colleague. When Odin banishes his war-mongering son to earth, the mode in which he travels through the space-time continuum(the body itself as a ship) resembles the interplanetary trip that the television actors make in "Galaxy Quest". Since Eric acknowledges the Norse god solely in its guise as a literary figure, and not the Avenger of Marvel lore, a juxtaposition presents itself, in which popular culture is shown to have replaced literature as the stuff that fuels young people's dreams. Whereas Eric, as a child, believed in something he read in a book, the young fan in "Galaxy Quest" swears that the cheesy space opera, something he saw on TV, is real, a surrogate religion. For the alien envoy who confuses the show for "historical documents"(read: Bible), it's religion personified, going so far as remaking themselves in God's image. For Brandon, receiving the transmission from the captain is akin to being a prophet, doing God's work from earth while the starship captain and his crew do battle in the celestial heavens. "Galaxy Quest" works as a metaphor for the validation of Scientology as a religion. In "Thor", the god that figures prominently in primitive Germanic religions, is recast in a sci-fi setting, so when Thor and his friends manifest themselves on earth, the Norse creation myth is validated. It's "Dianetics" in disguise. Expand
  7. May 6, 2011
    I saw Thor last night and it was done very well from a Comic standpoint! All the actors have played well together, very well. This turned out to be a fantastic Origins film. I would for sure recommend this Movie to anyone who is actively seeking a very entertaining, Comic movie!

Watched in 3D
  8. May 7, 2011
    When i first came across this film, i thought this was gonna be cool. I am a big marvel fan so i decided to see it. It was amazing!! The special effects were excellent! The action was amazing! The acting was good. I mean I had a great time at the movies! Overall awesome.

9. May 8, 2011
    A good job telling a very difficult story, both of my kids were on the edge of their seats for the battle scenes. I thought the acting was good and look forward to seeing more.
  10. May 17, 2011
    Great movie. Great balancing of action and comedy. It definitely is as good as Iron Man. Marvel proves once again that they are the only ones who can treat their properties the way they deserve. I wish there had been less Earth and more Asgard but overall quite a good and enjoyable movie.
  11. Sep 15, 2011
    I had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with some awesome fights, and I just love the references to the other super heroes, like Iron Man (and was that Hawkeye?!), and the way it brings you closer to the future Avengers movie, honestly the most disappointing part was the ending, and it leaves the question of what's next for Thor? but this is still an awesome movie, and a perfect see for fans of Marvel. Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2012
    Thor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkest forces to invade Earth, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero. Although the film is undeniably cheesy Thor is extremely entertaining, action packed and funny and features a fantastic debut performance from Chris Hemsworth and a charming performance from Kat Dennings. Although Natalie Portman just won herself an Oscar her character is cliche and that is the exact performance she has brought us. It seems Natalie is going back to her old bad acting ways like Star Wars. I give this film 88% of a good movie. Expand
  13. May 6, 2011
    Better than the Iron Man movies, and the best Marvel movie since 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Loki may stand alongside Final Fantasy's Sephiroth as one of the best villains ever! I have a very good feeling now about Captain America and The Avengers. And don't worry, the post-converted 3D was actually done well. Two thumbs up!
  14. May 7, 2011
    The movie is flawed but thoroughly enjoyable. It has a certain charm to it that you have to see it in order to appreciate it. It has a little bit of everything, romance, action and drama. The visual effects are superb and the characters are pretty likeable.

Highly recommended.
  15. May 14, 2011
    This film was awesome. It was as entertaining as the first Iron Man.The action was crafted well and the acting was great too. Kenneth Branagh was a perfect fit to direct this film and I can't wait for the Avengers
  16. May 29, 2011
    Exciting, captivating, visually stunning.

These are just a few words that help sum up the superhero epic "Thor".

The acting is sublime and the directing seems more than perfect, this is probably the best superhero movie made, sitting beside The Dark Knight of course!
  17. Sep 29, 2011
    Fun action movie. don't try and break it down and analyze it. the movie is meant to entertain and be a fun movie about THE GOD OF THUNDER!!!!!! if you wanna chill out to a cool action movie this is a good choice.
  18. May 6, 2011
    I really loved this movie. All the humor was great and I never seen this many people laugh at some of these jokes. Granted that it had a few hiccups here and there which did not get the 10 but enough that its worth going at the middle of the night just to watch a movie. Stan Lee cameo was great and loved the character progression. I would recommend anyone to watch it.
  19. May 6, 2011
    Good popcorn flick with lots of action. Definitely worth seeing in the theater but not in 3d. The film was not shot in real 3d so the 3d effect is poor and strains your eyes.
  20. May 8, 2011
    Solid story, solid acting, great special effects. The movie is very faithful to the source material (which will please comic geeks), but is approachable enough that casual audiences can enjoy it as well. I'd avoid seeing it in 3D. The film wasn't shot with 3D in mind so it really doesn't add anything to the experience and really may take away slightly from optimal viewing because it makes CG effects harder to follow. Overall I'd say its as good as the first Iron Man, but lacks an actor with the presence that Robert Downey, Jr brings to the screen. Expand
  21. May 8, 2011
    This was an astoundingly huge, incredibly well done movie. Brannagh has taught a lot of filmmakers 'this is how it's done'. It is *not* a superhero movie. It's a battle between gods, and a classic drama of struggles with a king as his heirs, and a fantasy epic, and the frequent theme in mythology of a god fallen to Earth, to live and move with mortals. Asgard and everything in it is thought through far better than it ever was in the comic.

The special effects were examples of what the best filmmakers do: they don't just throw a budget and a bunch of code monkeys at it; they think through what an effect really should be doing, and how it makes sense. That's why the effects, though technically great, really impress.

When there are "superhero', or Asgardian warrior, action, it's jaw-droppingly well done. And when Thor is on Earth, there's constant challenge, humor, and lively interaction with every character. This is not a case of a movie trying to live up to a comic book: now, the comics have to learn to live up to the epic on screen.

Don't worry about the comic books. You don't need to know them to watch the movie. You don't *have* to know all about Greek mythology to watch movies about battles between those gods and demigods and mortals and so forth, and when is it confusing if the very powerful become so arrogant or power-hungry that they are damaged and cause damage to those around them for their hubris? This movie is like that.

And I read the pro's and users here talking about how 'dumb' it was, boring, etc. I guess it didn't have the sort of brilliant writing of Fast Five or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or a scene in a strip club, or the touching directing talents of George Lucas. How come there was all that boring talk in Henry V? Why is there no Michael Becerra or 'homages' to crappy kung fu movies like "Kill Bill"? How come there aren't 50 scenes of Natalie Portman bending over a motorcycle? Why isn't it filled with a bunch of magic kids who never express any emotion and who are always saved by a newly discovered relic? Obviously "Thor" can live up to none of these high standards.

I would like to think it's a movie which will continue to grow in popularity based on word of mouth; it's not too often I go in thinking a movie will be a lot of fun, and then see something far above my expectations. From what I've heard, especially from people who didn't know too much about the character, I think that's likely.

If you aren't the kind of person who likes intelligently written, large-scale epics with brilliant direction, gorgeous special effects, rivalry for the throne, big action scenes, and characters with depth and most of whom are played by fantastic actors, then this movie's not for you.

Others should really go and watch it.
  22. May 8, 2011
    Great actors, awesome action sequences, and some truly funny moments overcome a few poor bits of dialog and some shoddy CG. Chris Hemsworth as Thor is hard not to love and elevates this movie to a level it should not rightly be at. A great film.
  23. May 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it comes to making a movie about the origins of the Thunder God Thor in the Marvel Universe, I feel that Thor was made well. From the simple story of how an arrogant young god embraces the important lessons that make him a hero, to the action sequences that draw audiences, Branagh and the cast of Thor have done a marvelous job. Let's not forget that the point of a hero in a comic book is to BE THE HERO. In Thor we are taken on a wild ride into a marvelous world where science and magic are one in the same. To me, Thor is an ancient epic made for the silver screen. We see the hero's journey, we see his growth and ultimately we see him triumph. The special effects that we are so used to seeing now are so overdone that it feels like i'm watching a movie from a computer game more than a movie made with real life people acting in it. In Thor the special effects are used well. They are able to give the story life rather than being the major driving force of the story itself. Though the plot was very thin, the execution of the plot was well done. I'm not a major Thor fan, (favorite is Captain America) but I did enjoy the movie from start to finish. I enjoyed the bard's touch that Branagh adds to the film through the prologue and the eventual climax of the film was not without its merit. The film had just the amount of comedy, action and seriousness that matters. To those who haven't seen the movie, I suggest, absolutely, that you spend the time to watch and enjoy this film. Expand
  24. May 9, 2011
    First and foremost, I have never been a big fan of superhero movies. I hated the Spiderman movies, liked but didn't love the Batman films, liked but didn't love the hulk movies, liked the first Iron man, hated the second. But this film really looked and felt like a comic book to me, which is the whole point. Most importantly, it actually had HUMOR. How refreshing. The special effects were great. There were moments where the background looked drawn, especially Thor's world (or realm as he called it), but that added to the "comic book" feel to me. I saw it in Digital IMAX 3D, and it looked fantastic. I can take or leave 3D but love IMAX so the 3D just came along for the ride. At first the Natalie Portman character seems thrown in for the inevitable Hollywood love interest, but in the end I liked that he fell in love with a mortal from earth, and it sets up the sequel. Newcomer Chris Hemsworth is terrific, and all the supporting acting is up to par. Lots of action in the film - you won't be bored. Expand
  25. May 11, 2011
    I loved Thor because it was funny and the actor who played him, portrayed Thor perfectly. I did not like however how Natalie portman didn't get nude or **** Thor.
  26. May 15, 2011
  27. May 16, 2011
    Thor was an epic and fun experience, with a little bit of everything. It has a good sense of humor, a ton of fantastic special effects, a great plot twist, and most of all, a story of "godly" proportions. I had a great time viewing Thor, and I would gladly view another time or two.
  28. May 16, 2011
    One of the best Marvel movies ever. It has great acting performances, colorful, and has pretty good special effects. I must say, I was skeptical about this film when I first heard about it because Thor is a God. He has so much power and if they had of messed up, the movie and especially his character would of been not enjoyable. But they didn't. What I also love is how Kenneth Branagh stayed true to Thor's comic book **** powers, abilities, and perhaps, naiveness. However, the love scene wasn't deep at all like some people make it out to be. It was actually rather corny. But other than that, it is an impeccably balanced movie and a genius way to connect Thor to Mythology to Jane Foster, all the way to the big screen!!! Expand
  29. May 18, 2011
    I just saw Thor about an hour ago and i have to say it isn't as good as others made it seem. the movie its self was well made and had great graphics, humour was in the right places but there could've been more of it... and i really don't see why directors have to include romance in everything they make... they fell for each other in like, a day. I thought Thor would be more of a BOOM, BOOM, SMASH, BANG, sort of film, but it was really more talk and less fight. and when there were fights, enemies hat look like they would take a 10 minute fight to kill were dead in seconds.
    However i guess its all made up for in the epic plot, plus Loki and that guard dude are some badass guys! :D
  30. May 18, 2011
    The action was pretty solid, and Hemsworth did a good job conveying Thor. The actor playing Loki also did a great job. The love story though really detracted from it. No connection, and no real sense of them coming together, yet the movie tried to force down our throats that they'd fallen in love. And the big end scene where Thor's changed behavior was credited to Natalie Portman's character left me going, "Really?" Did I fall asleep for 15 minutes and miss the big scene where Thor learned about sacrificing for the greater good from her? I certainly didn't hate the movie and got some enjoyment from it, but I felt like ultimately, they needed a much better script. Plus a love interest that actually had some chemistry with Hemsworth. Expand
  31. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quite well done.

It felt as there wasn't quite enough action but it handled the story very well as a first movie should, it was able to just lay out the storyline. Its not very easy to not only introduce a new character but to try and explain and entire new dimension to new audiences not familiar with it.

One thing that kinda irked me was after he defeated the destroyer, he was just like i am you ally now. The shield never explained who they even were to Thor, and Thor never even explained who he was to them.

Overall great film, negative 1 point for some things here and there.
  32. May 21, 2011
    I totally enjoyed the movie and it's better seen at a Theater to get the full effects & the sound. The movie showed two story lines...one of Asgard and how Thor & Loki came to be & their relationship with their father Odin, and a story on how Thor was discovered when he was on Earth, with a love story thrown in between. The actor who portrayed Thor was perfect for the part, and so was his love interest - Natalie Portman. I just think it was a good movie to watch for entertainment...you won't be disappointed, especially if you grew up reading comics about Marvel super heroes. I hope Disney does more movies on Marvel's list of super heroes that they gained with their purchased of the Marvel company. Expand
  33. Jun 1, 2011
    This movie was EPIC! I absolutely loved this movie, the action was amazing. Chris Hemsworth, although I never heard of him before this movie was a perfect fit for this film. He has the perfect look and size for Thor. The only reason I gave this a 9 and not a 10 is because it got a little corny at times, but thats understanding though because its tough to make a comic book movie like this and make it perfectly realistic, It definitely does not deserve the ratings it is getting from critics. I've seen it twice and plan on seeing it another, great movie, overall, 9.5/10, now I can't wait to see Thor in the Avengers May 4th of 2012! Expand
  34. Jun 4, 2011
    I went into this film with very low expectations. I'm not usually one who enjoys the superhero genre. However, this movie, much like Batman Begins, was a brilliant experience for me. The underlying themes of jealously, betrayal, and coming of age - timeless, were here executed into an almost operatic crescendo. The film is let down at some points with some pretty banal dialogue where the characters are attempting to be witty, or add humor to an otherwise dramatic scene - and this sometimes falls flat. But these small niggles aside, Thor is an exciting, adventurous, and engaging film. Lots of fun, and with some truly epic moments. Anthony Hopkins is magnificent as Odin. I'm somewhat at a loss to understand why many critics are canning this film, as I found it to be very entertaining. Expand
  35. Jun 4, 2011
    Solid acting by absolutely everyone. Direction and writing were excellent. Couldn't ask for a more entertaining movie. Just good fun. Loved the fact that they spent enough time in Asgard and didn't spend a bunch of time on earth just because it's cheaper to film. Portman and Hemsworth had great chemistry and were totally believable in their roles.
  36. Jun 11, 2011
    I love this film. Casting was great and they got the right mixture of new talent and great existing talent. The story is ever so slightly confusing if you don't follow it properly but I understood and enjoyed it. Some will say it is cheesy, but good super hero films started out as cheesy and this is just a modern super hero film with the old element added that makes it great. Cannot wait for The Avengers and wish the sequel would get the go ahead. Expand
  37. Jun 20, 2011
    I had never been a fan of Thor, and never really wanted to be. But...I like comic book/super hero movies so I went to see it. It was great. Once again, critics are full of themselves and can't enjoy a good movie. What a perfect blend of a Norse viking movie combined with high tek sci-fi. The acting was really good. This was definitely a movie that is better in 3D. See this movie if you like the genre, it was great. Expand
  38. Jun 20, 2011
    In an elevated, larger-than-life comic book plus mythology world, Chris Hemsworth does a very believable job playing a god thrust among humans. With his grounded and charming performance, the movie keeps its balance, and the action doesn't overwhelm. Also of note, Tom Hiddleston's Loki was just the right amount of trickster, while staying intelligent, and Heimdall (Idris Elba) was otherworldly. Overall a very satisfying, fun experience. It isn't a perfect film, but it convincingly tells a story that could have become ridiculous very easily. Expand
  39. Jul 10, 2011
    So much is done right in Thor that you forget what could have gone horribly wrong. The artistic flair exhibited in the other-worldly scenes is smashing. Get off your rear, and go out and enjoy a good old comic book action fest while it's still in theaters.
  40. Jul 16, 2011
    This is a great movie. It won't ever be in the top 100 movies of all time, but is part of a franchise that is building. I was expecting that most of this movie would be set on earth, but was stoked to see another universe displayed, and presented so well. This was pure entertainment on a grand scale. Well done. I may not buy it when it comes out, but I loved the experience of watching it. Come on! Anthony Hopkins for the win! Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2011
    A terrific start to the 2011 summer. The acting is great, there's good storytelling, the fight sequences, and the film stays true to the comics. Chris Hemsworth makes a terrific Thor, and that's a great thing. Everyone did a good job too, especially Idris Elba. I loved this movie very much, and I can't wait for The Avengers.
    Keep it up, Marvel.
  42. Jul 27, 2011
    So I FINALLY went to see Thor a week after the release, (I know, what a sacrilege). 3d, IMax, 5:30 showing of Thorâ
  43. Aug 3, 2011
    Really nice piece of art. Some animations were really beautiful. Especially the Bifrost Bridge was magnificent. But there were some flaws at the story of the movie. For example after the end of movie, i still did not understand what was the true intention of Loki, but maybe that was because he was the god of mischief :P
  44. Nov 3, 2011
    THOR IS A PURE ACTION FULL OF STORY AND DRAMA OF GODS. AMAZING MOVIE OF 2011. ACCORDING TO ME IN THE WHOLE AVENGERS TEAM THE COOLEST ACTION HERO IS THOR, WHICH MEANS THOR (THE GOD OF THUNDER) REALLY ROCKS. DON'T MISS THE BEST ACTION MOVIE OF 2011. BUY IT ON BLU-RAY OR DVD. GO FOR IT!!!!
  45. Mar 7, 2012
    This a fantastic film, the mithology of the comic appear in this film, the cast do a great performance of the characters, and the effects, wow, are awesome, the screenplay is good. Thor is one of the better MARVEL Studious films.
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    If you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80s 'classics' like Flash Gordon or Krull). The movie really succeeds at this, feeling like it has just leaped off the page and into celluloid. It's exactly as it should be: Colorful, light, action packed and very, very daft. Thor is an extremely fun romp from start to finish and one of the most refreshing super hero movies of recent memory. Collapse
  47. Jul 4, 2012
    When critiquing a movie, I think people tend to go over-analytical. For me, a movie is decided good or not by how much I particularly liked it. For Thor, I was entertained and I enjoyed the movie a lot. The special effects were killer and I was fangirling over both the protagonist and the antagonist. I had fun watching it, and that really matters. Oh, and once again, TOM HIDDLESTON hothothothot.
  48. Nov 24, 2012
    Thor is the last movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline right before The Avengers. Chris Hemsworth plays this truly tragic hero as he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. Plot: Thor Odinson is the son of Odin the allfather (Anthony Hopkins). Odin is the ruler of Asgard which oversees the 9 realms. Long ago the realm of Jotunheim had been engaged in a long war with Asgard in which Odin led his army to victory over the native Frost Giants and steals their source of power. However, Odin is about to name Thor King of Asgard when the Frost Giants attempt to take it back going against the terms of their truce. Odin turns a blind eye while Thor declares war but isn't taken seriously for he is not yet King. Foolishly, Thor travels with his friends and his brother into the realm of Jotunheim in an attempt to eliminate them. After a near death experience Odin bails Thor out but Laufey, leader of the Frost Giants declare war on Asgard. As a punishment for Thor's arrogance, Odin banish's Thor to the realm of Earth and strips him of his supernatural powers. Here, Thor meets a team of meterologists who attempt to help him out as he is misunderstood as the war rages between Asgard and Jotunheim. My opinion: This is a great movie that proves that you don't know what you have until it is taken away. Chris Hemsworth plays the awkwardest part of the movie very successfully as the locales of Earth have trouble communicating with him. If you are interested in Viking mythology or are into conspiracy theorys, or even interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then I would reccomend this movie. Expand
  49. Feb 16, 2013
    I loved this movie, but I was more amazed by the character Heimdall! He was epic! This movie is more about learning about Thor, I expect any sequel to have more action.
  50. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the rest of the Avengers films, this movie was fantastic. I thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job in his portrayal of Thor and the rest of the cast was great. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The action sequences were done great and I loved how well this film tied in with the others in the universe. The little nods towards Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were subtle yet really well played. I thought Loki's motives were a little shaky, especially considering that it's the entire foundation of the movie. Nonetheless, the rest of the plot develops really nicely and the film gets a bit of everything from action to drama to romance to suspense. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept the premise of the film, I think this movie is very entertaining and enjoyable. Expand
  51. May 31, 2013
    This movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The plot was great and the characters were excellent, especially Loki. I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World.
  52. Aug 9, 2014
    Thor is a great movie and the fact that that it sets up something bigger is a bonus to what is a awesome film about the bratty future king of Asgard, Hemsworth give a good performance as Thor and Portman is very good as Jane Foster

1. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jul 29, 2011
    The standards for comic book superhero movies have been established by "Superman," "The Dark Knight," "Spider-Man 2" and "Iron Man." In that company "Thor" is pitiful. Consider even the comparable villains (Lex Luthor, the Joker, Doc Ock and Obadiah Stane). Memories of all four come instantly to mind. Will you be thinking of Loki six minutes after this movie is over?
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    May 12, 2011
    The year's most divided movie to date; everything that happens in the higher realms, vaguely derived from Nordic legend, is posturing nonsense, whereas the scenes down here are managed, for the most part, with dexterity and wit. [16 May 2011, p. 133]
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    May 11, 2011
    This is eminently missable, though the mosaic design of Asgard, Thor's mythical realm, is pretty cool.