Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 6, 2011
Generally favorable reviews based on 1465 Ratings
1,056
Watch Now
EpicLadySpongeFeb 4, 2016
Thor wasn't the best opening to a franchise, but it's still strong and holdable at some cases and then there are those cases that remind you to the case of Thor.
SpangleJul 26, 2013
The special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing differentThe special effects of this movie are really cool which really helps this one out a lot. The acting is good, and the plot is interesting as well. Only negative is that it's pretty much your typical superhero movie, it does nothing different despite Thor being a God rather than a superhuman. If that was different, then it undoubtedly would've been more enjoyable, even though as is, it's a pretty good movie. Expand
TVJerryMay 10, 2011
The mythological God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of his kingdom and becomes a mortal on Earth. This flick has a lot going for it: magnificent art direction, moments of down-to-earth humor, extravagant spectacle and newcomerThe mythological God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of his kingdom and becomes a mortal on Earth. This flick has a lot going for it: magnificent art direction, moments of down-to-earth humor, extravagant spectacle and newcomer Hemsworth's undeniable charisma (not to mention that body). On the down side: the fight scenes are an indistinct blur and the drama drags down the pacing. Overall, it's uneven, but entertaining. NOTES: I didn't bother with the 3D and didn't miss a thing. Stay thru the credits for another "Avengers" teaser. Expand
TheQuietGamerSep 15, 2011
I had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with someI had a blast watching this, it not only has some amazing special effects, but extremely enjoyable characters, these are some of Marvels most human characters yet, it can be genuinely funny, somewhat touching, and backs it all up with some awesome fights, and I just love the references to the other super heroes, like Iron Man (and was that Hawkeye?!), and the way it brings you closer to the future Avengers movie, honestly the most disappointing part was the ending, and it leaves the question of what's next for Thor? but this is still an awesome movie, and a perfect see for fans of Marvel. Expand
Compi24Jun 27, 2016
As far as quasi-coming-of-age-action-adventure-superhero films go, "Thor" is without a doubt among the best. In all seriousness though, Kenneth Branagh had a demigod (tee-hee) of a task on his hands in trying to simultaneously sell theAs far as quasi-coming-of-age-action-adventure-superhero films go, "Thor" is without a doubt among the best. In all seriousness though, Kenneth Branagh had a demigod (tee-hee) of a task on his hands in trying to simultaneously sell the magical realism of the fantastical world at hand, whilst furthering the overall narrative that was "Phase One" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And, to be quite frank, he pulled it off. In spades. "Thor" not only accomplishes both of the aforementioned feats, it also introduces us to the charismatic stylings of both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, while also teaching us that Branagh himself indeed has a few action-oriented tricks up his directorial sleeves. Overall, "Thor" is great entertainment and I regret missing when it came out. Expand
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
The great and powerful Thor was one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. The special effects in this film were really some of the best I've ever seen and the star of the film, Chris Hemsworth was amazing, but besides that, this film wasThe great and powerful Thor was one of the biggest grossing movies of 2011. The special effects in this film were really some of the best I've ever seen and the star of the film, Chris Hemsworth was amazing, but besides that, this film was extremely overrated. Thor is banished to Earth for disobeying his father, the King, and must live as a mortal. Surprisingly, it doesn't take him very long to adjust, and he falls in love with Natalie Portman during a fifteen minute car ride. Okay, so the plot was weak to begin with, but the special effects could have more than made up for that. What I really didn't like about this film was just how fast everything happened. Thor is going to be in the Avengers trilogy and there is a good possibility there may be a sequel to this film, so what was the point in rushing everything? The character of Thor is a majestic one. He is one of the most powerful superheroes that ever existed. This film should have been the epic classic that was talked about for years, but instead they rushed the story and hid behind some great special effects. It was visually impactful, entertaining, and had a great star, but a side from that, this film is nothing more than a common theme with a weak script. Expand
marcmyworksNov 27, 2013
Thor is fast paced, enjoyable and fun and only suffers when he is brought to Earth. There he is not nearly as interesting as he is on Asgard, but hey, those effects are expensive.
TokyochuchuNov 17, 2013
If you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play isIf you can set aside cynicism and stomach Thor's goofy premise, you'll be in for a sci-fi comic book treat. Those expecting it's dialogue and depth to match The Dark Knight will be left wanting (although Loki's Shakespearean tragedy play is awesome) But Thor isn't that type of movie. It's aspiration is to come as close to the comic books as possible (or possibly pay homage to 80s 'classics' like Flash Gordon or Krull). The movie really succeeds at this, feeling like it has just leaped off the page and into celluloid. It's exactly as it should be: Colorful, light, action packed and very, very daft. Thor is an extremely fun romp from start to finish and one of the most refreshing super hero movies of recent memory. Expand
JacobOct 24, 2013
Surprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for theSurprisingly I really enjoyed Thor. It is dense, two hours dense; these aren’t the greatest characters in the world; and the dutch angle can get annoying. However, I’m willing to overlook these flaws because the main characters are for the most part likeable and well acted with Chris Hemsworth killing at as for, some nice character moments as opposed to a whole action fest, some enjoyable action, and some epic moments. If you’re a fan of superhero movies check this one out, which is easier than ever since it is on Netflix as I am writing this. Even if you don’t think it’s as good as Iron Man you’ll still be really entertained. If you aren’t a fan of the superhero movies than you can sit this one out since this one isn’t doing anything ground breaking that’ll change your mind. As for me, like I said before, I really enjoyed this film. It did a fantastic job establishing Thor and got me excited for The Avengers. Hopefully the sequel will surprise me as well although it has a lot to live up to if it wants to be as entertaining as this film. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this film.

Chris Hemsworth was both annoying and fabulous as Thor; he played the character very nicely, creating a stubborn, hot-tempered, prideful god who is eventually banished from his home for those very qualities.

All in all, the story was splintered between events taking place in Asgard and on Earth.

Asgard, sadly, wasn't nearly as interesting, focusing more on plotting and revelations of betrayal. Thor's Asgard companions were left a bit hollow, but his new friends on Earth (Jane Foster, played by Natalie Portman, mysterious Stellan Skarsgård as Erik Selvig and Kat Dennings as the ever optimistic Darcy Lewis) were a little better, in the end they managing to create a much-expected romance between Jane and Thor.

Regardless of the sad fact that the characters didn't have enough life in them, the story progressed nicely with fabulous action.

Definitely looking forward to any continuations.
MovieLonely94Sep 5, 2011
Based on the marvel character of the same name, this live-action movie tells the story about Thor, a noble warrior who gets exiled by his father Odin to live on earth amongst the humans. There, he meets a scientist named Jane Foster, whoBased on the marvel character of the same name, this live-action movie tells the story about Thor, a noble warrior who gets exiled by his father Odin to live on earth amongst the humans. There, he meets a scientist named Jane Foster, who teaches him lessons as his brother plots to send out his dark forces and take over all of Asgard. It is up to Thor to regain his strength and save the two worlds.

I caught the screening of this movie almost four months ago and enjoyed it. Now to my opinion.

Bad: Some of the scenes have product placements like the 7-Eleven store, the Burger King soda drink, and it even had an IPOD mention. The story was lacking and the ending was too clichéd.

Good: The actors were very good at their performances. Chris Hemsworth was very compelling as Thor and he had enough screen time. Natalie Portman was a lot of fun as Jane Porter and she was very funny. Tom Hiddleston was entertaining as Loki and had a lot of talent and Anthony Hopkins was also entertaining as Odin. The CGI and the settings were pretty good and the action scenes were amazing.

Thor may not be the best movie of 2011, but it lives up to its potential of the comic books with neat special effects, solid acting, and great action scenes.

FuturedirectorMar 17, 2016
Thor is another classic of action films. Maybe the mitology and formula it's a bit confusing or dull for this kind of films, but it really works, with interesting story-telling, human altitude, great interpretations and action-packed. Fans ofThor is another classic of action films. Maybe the mitology and formula it's a bit confusing or dull for this kind of films, but it really works, with interesting story-telling, human altitude, great interpretations and action-packed. Fans of Marvel will really like this film. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Jan 22, 2012
Thor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkestThor is about a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. As a result, Thor is banished to Earth where he is forced to live among humans. When the most dangerous villain of his world sends its darkest forces to invade Earth, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero. Although the film is undeniably cheesy Thor is extremely entertaining, action packed and funny and features a fantastic debut performance from Chris Hemsworth and a charming performance from Kat Dennings. Although Natalie Portman just won herself an Oscar her character is cliche and that is the exact performance she has brought us. It seems Natalie is going back to her old bad acting ways like Star Wars. I give this film 88% of a good movie. Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 30, 2014
The best Marvel film so far, that show the most adventurous and stunning visuals that never have been identified before.

The high amount of science fiction and action truly keeps me entertained, not to mention the amazing CGI and the stunning amount of details, which together form a wonderful and entertaining film. The romance (no spoilers) between the characters in Thor truly gives the movie a high rating, because it’s so wonderful. The story in Thor is one other thing that’s fascinating, and there are many unique things that are cool to see in this amazing film, even thought there are some slow scenes where nothing particularly happened.

Thor is an entertaining film, that also is funny and enjoyable, and combined with a stunning composing from Patrick Doyle, is this film amazing to watch.

It’s not a flawless film, but it’s a very well made film by Marvel.

Thor gets a 8.3/10
worleyjamersDec 7, 2012
Hats off to Marvel Studios...Thor is excellent. Definitely one of the best Marvel films, behind Spidermans 1 & 2, which says a lot. This film was the perfect start to the blockbuster season.

First off, the cinematography and visual affects

First off, the cinematography and visual affects for the film were fantastic. Asgard, Thor's home planet, was beautiful to look at. I really enjoyed the scenes that took place there, and the artistic elements made it even better. The appearance of the film was my favorite thing about the movie. The visual effects were great too, but I come to expect nothing less of Marvel.

The performances were excellent, especially Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and supporting actor Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth easily could have done what happened in Fantastic 4 and taken a more silly approach to the character, but he really does a great job of sticking to the character. Even during the humorous moments, I felt the acting held up. He gives a fantastic performance and is very convincing. Tom Hiddleston gives the strongest performance of the cast, in my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed his performance and thought he did a great job. He really added a whole other level of emotion to the film. Natalie Portman is also fantastic, but I expect nothing less from her.

The story was also very appealing. I know absolutely nothing about the comic book Thor, same as most everyone else, so had no idea what to expect of this film. Marvel and director Kenneth Branagh knew this and were sure to keep that in mind when creating the movie. They did an excellent job. The characters were introduced nicely, the scenery gives the story a unique time and place, the pacing is great, there's little time wasted on narration and development, and they casted a brilliant set of actors to deliver the conflict and emotion. Also equal attention was given to both the God world and the human world, which I thought was very nice. The story was foreign to me, but because of the good direction and production, I ended up liking it a lot.

For the first blockbuster of the summer, Thor is a smashing success. I hope it scores big at the box office and I recommend it to everyone. This is Marvel's "prettiest" film, so take advantage of that at least.
StevenFMay 22, 2013
Some superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life andSome superhero films just click in the sort of way where everyone is there for a reason, the plot flows nicely, the dialogue is the balanced blend of drama with real humour to mellow the mood, and characters that are larger than life and memorable. Thor has all of these, just not to the fullest.
The God of Thunder is an over-confident, adrenaline-fuelled piece of meat played by the talented Chris Hemsworth, he is the would-be King to succeed his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), King of Asgard.
When Thor recklessly battles with the Ice Giants of Jotunheim, a race that his father was holding a dodgy truth with, he is banished by his father and removed of all his power, including his hammer, Mjolnir.
Crossing paths with the banished God on earth is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who accidentally runs him over while chasing an anomaly in the sky, Jane and her team, Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and Darcy (Kat Dennings) are unaware at first that it was Thor and his hammer causing the strange occurrences in the sky.
As Thor adjusts to life on earth, his brother Loki (Tom Hiddlestone), mischievous indeed, isn't everything he appears to be, and sets out a plan to be King. This is without doubt an explosive and action-packed first outing for Thor, the humour in the film is top notch and director Kenneth Branagh brings a true sense of realism to such an expansive and magical story.
However, the film too often feels like a tie-in to keep us going until The Avengers, much like Iron Man 2, S.H.I.E.L.D. are just too heavily involved and often spoil the party for an otherwise enjoyable flick. The action is often just too quick, flashy and CGI-laden to enjoy, there is plenty of blur in the film, for all the wrong reasons. Clark Gregg returns as Agent Coulson, and while his scenes are good, and sometimes funny ("One of Starks?" "I don't know, he doesn't tell me anything"), they are just too expansive and plot oriented to the point where we start to lose interest in the Thor plot.
That aside, Chris Hemsworth is perfectly cast, his charm, bulging biceps and over-zealous attitude contribute to much of the comedy, with a few one-liners that are simply priceless. The chemistry between himself and Portman is magical, while the more limited role of Selvig is enjoyable, its really the small part of Idris Elba playing Heimdall that is excellent.
Not a the best of the Marvel Universe, but certainly an enjoyable first outing for Thor.
MonkiReviewsJun 20, 2017
A good movie, but not Marvel's best. The characters were great, and showed the characters change a lot through the whole thing. The special effects were not perfect, but had great moments. This had more good than bad though, so it is worth a watch.
Bruce722May 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the rest of the Avengers films, this movie was fantastic. I thought Chris Hemsworth did a great job in his portrayal of Thor and the rest of the cast was great. Natalie Portman is as breathtaking as ever and the rest of the supporting cast adds a combination of depth and humor. The action sequences were done great and I loved how well this film tied in with the others in the universe. The little nods towards Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were subtle yet really well played. I thought Loki's motives were a little shaky, especially considering that it's the entire foundation of the movie. Nonetheless, the rest of the plot develops really nicely and the film gets a bit of everything from action to drama to romance to suspense. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept the premise of the film, I think this movie is very entertaining and enjoyable. Expand
HalfwelshmanMay 21, 2011
It's such a thrill to see a fun superhero movie again - the dark and moody craze appears to be at an end. The cast are on top form - Hemsworth really does take the god of thunder on a believable journey, Hiddleston admirably portrays a ratherIt's such a thrill to see a fun superhero movie again - the dark and moody craze appears to be at an end. The cast are on top form - Hemsworth really does take the god of thunder on a believable journey, Hiddleston admirably portrays a rather complex villain and Dennings provides most of the laughs. But as usual, Anthony Hopkins is simply playing Anthony Hopkins. While the story may take a while to get going, there's so much in Thor to enjoy - fantasy, action, comedy and romance are all seamlessly woven throughout. Expand
BikerjamesMay 9, 2011
First and foremost, I have never been a big fan of superhero movies. I hated the Spiderman movies, liked but didn't love the Batman films, liked but didn't love the hulk movies, liked the first Iron man, hated the second. But this filmFirst and foremost, I have never been a big fan of superhero movies. I hated the Spiderman movies, liked but didn't love the Batman films, liked but didn't love the hulk movies, liked the first Iron man, hated the second. But this film really looked and felt like a comic book to me, which is the whole point. Most importantly, it actually had HUMOR. How refreshing. The special effects were great. There were moments where the background looked drawn, especially Thor's world (or realm as he called it), but that added to the "comic book" feel to me. I saw it in Digital IMAX 3D, and it looked fantastic. I can take or leave 3D but love IMAX so the 3D just came along for the ride. At first the Natalie Portman character seems thrown in for the inevitable Hollywood love interest, but in the end I liked that he fell in love with a mortal from earth, and it sets up the sequel. Newcomer Chris Hemsworth is terrific, and all the supporting acting is up to par. Lots of action in the film - you won't be bored. Expand
ShiiraJun 29, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Now is the [summer] of our discontent." As pertaining to classically-trained Shakespearean actors starring in "high-concept" movies soon after the phenomenal success of "Jaws", surely it was Alec Guinness, who may have first thought those words on the set of "Star Wars", playing Obi-Wan Kenobi, a film and role he utterly despised. If not for the great white shark that terrorized Amity Beach vacationers just two years earlier, which put an end to the golden age of director-driven movies, Guinness, who played Exeter opposite Laurence Olivier in "Henry V" and then the title role in "Romeo and Juliet", probably wouldn't feel impelled to go anywhere near a light saber or a wrinkly green Jedi. Thirty years later, "selling out" has a new name; it's called "rebranding". And so it goes. Kenneth Branagh, director of the much-ballyhooed "Hamlet", could conceivably have said, "How did I come to this? I played Richard the Third,"(it was actually Alan Rickman in "Galaxy Quest"), because even though Asgard is a long ways off from the Crucible Theater(where Branagh played the Machiavellian king), "Thor", conversely, is also a long ways off from rubbing elbows with the likes of "Daredevil", "Ghost Rider" and "Catwoman". So even though nobody who knows Branagh in his previous incarnation as an Anglophile would be in his right mind to give him "five curtain calls"(like Rickman's Alexander Dane, who plays the Spockish alien Dr. Lazarus in the "Star Trek"-inspired show-within-the movie) for dumbing down with a movies that was motivated by careerism, this high-profile booster of Shakespeare's plays, as a trade-off, has earned himself some hearty applause from the discriminating fanboy, who may be unschooled in the works of the Bard, but can name every superhero in the comic book universe. Unlike Arnold in "Conan the Barbarian", the audience is laughing with Chris Hemsworth, not at him. Personality-wise, the title character is more Dark Horse than Dark Knight. In other words, Branagh uses comic relief as a counterpoint to the obligatory action set-pieces, in very much the same manner as "Hellboy". You don't take Batman to a diner for food and drink, or "sustenance", as Thor puts it, because if the Caped Crusader smashed a glass to the floor, patrons would be heading for the exit in droves. Unencumbered by childhood angst, Thor takes his new surroundings in stride, sporting a convivial spirit you wouldn't expect from a man of the tenth century. The Norse god is also a known entity to the world at-large. In the Guillermo del Toro original, Hellboy is immortalized in comic books("They never get the eyes right," the red creature muses aloud), whereas Thor inspires Erik Selvig, Jane's mentor, to check out "Myths and Legends of the Norse Gods" from the public library. But this isn't your grandfather's Asgard. The capital city of the Norse gods is the gaudiest thing this side of "Flash Gordon". Appropriately enough, Thor looks like a prototypical tight end, a football player, as was Flash, a QB, who finds himself on the planet Mongo, making like Fran Tarkenton in the court of Ming the Merciless, because Hans Zarkov knew that nefarious forces could be behind an unexpected total eclipse of the sun and a moon gone rogue. Resembling Zarkov, she alone keeps chasing wormholes in the New Mexico desert, because both scientists on the fringe believe that science fiction and science fact could very well be one and the same. As a result, she is more willing to accept the existence of Asgard than her hypothetical-minded colleague. When Odin banishes his war-mongering son to earth, the mode in which he travels through the space-time continuum(the body itself as a ship) resembles the interplanetary trip that the television actors make in "Galaxy Quest". Since Eric acknowledges the Norse god solely in its guise as a literary figure, and not the Avenger of Marvel lore, a juxtaposition presents itself, in which popular culture is shown to have replaced literature as the stuff that fuels young people's dreams. Whereas Eric, as a child, believed in something he read in a book, the young fan in "Galaxy Quest" swears that the cheesy space opera, something he saw on TV, is real, a surrogate religion. For the alien envoy who confuses the show for "historical documents"(read: Bible), it's religion personified, going so far as remaking themselves in God's image. For Brandon, receiving the transmission from the captain is akin to being a prophet, doing God's work from earth while the starship captain and his crew do battle in the celestial heavens. "Galaxy Quest" works as a metaphor for the validation of Scientology as a religion. In "Thor", the god that figures prominently in primitive Germanic religions, is recast in a sci-fi setting, so when Thor and his friends manifest themselves on earth, the Norse creation myth is validated. It's "Dianetics" in disguise. Expand
Rox22Mar 19, 2013
I didn't really expect too much from this movie, as I was never too much a fan of the comic or the character. But, to my surprise, it was somewhat decent. Effects were first rate, the characters were well played (perhaps a bit hammy atI didn't really expect too much from this movie, as I was never too much a fan of the comic or the character. But, to my surprise, it was somewhat decent. Effects were first rate, the characters were well played (perhaps a bit hammy at points) and story was a pretty good origin story for Thor. Overall: A good, but not great, movie. My least favorite of the Avenger characters. Expand
Movie1997Dec 19, 2013
While it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good charactersWhile it's not the best super hero ever made, it still showcases some good old super hero starts! While some say the sequel is way better than the this first installment, I disagree. "Thor" brings in an interesting plot with good characters and some good storytelling. It never felt too goofy, but never brought anything more than it could have. Overall, it's still a pretty good marvel movie. I give it a B. Expand
MrMovieBuffJul 8, 2015
'Thor' follows the story of a once arrogant God named Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who is banished from his world, Asgard by his father and king, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Along the way, at Earth, Thor meets three scientists; Jane (Natalie Portman),'Thor' follows the story of a once arrogant God named Thor (Chris Hemsworth), who is banished from his world, Asgard by his father and king, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Along the way, at Earth, Thor meets three scientists; Jane (Natalie Portman), Eric Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) and Darcy (Kat Dennings).

At Earth, Thor learns what it is and how to be worthy in order for him to become a mighty God again, but all that doesn't go according to plan when his scheming and jealous brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston) plans to jeopardize Thor's return to Asgard and become King once again.

Kenneth Branagh directs this movie with such visual ambition, the actors commit to their roles very well despite looking and often sounding ridiculous what with the costumes and constant Shakespeare-like dialogue. It definitely doesn't feel like a comic book movie, instead, more like a tone-down version of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Game of Thrones".

The film does suffer from predictability and, possibly, just a short and thinly written plot, but it is a lot of fun, it may not rank among some great comic book films like; 'Superman' (1978), 'X2: X-Men United' (2003), or even 'The Dark Knight' (2008), but if you are a fan of the "Thor " comics...then you will like this for what it is.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
This film is a good setup, leading to "The Avengers". It has emotion, good visuals and a great villain. It's not as good as "Iron Man" or "The Avengers", but you're a fan of either one of those films, you can't miss out "Thor".
survivorfan989Aug 10, 2013
Not as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of theNot as good as I first remembered but still a highly entertaining film. There is plenty to like here as Thor is one of my favourite characters from 'The Avengers' line-up and I find I can enjoy this film as apposed to the likes of the 'Iron-Man' series. There isn't a great deal of Action for a film that you would expect to have a lot of it, but the final few scenes is where it picks up. Overall a very good film and I am quite looking forward to the sequel later this year! Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 7, 2012
This a fantastic film, the mithology of the comic appear in this film, the cast do a great performance of the characters, and the effects, wow, are awesome, the screenplay is good. Thor is one of the better MARVEL Studious films.
oblique15Feb 16, 2013
I loved this movie, but I was more amazed by the character Heimdall! He was epic! This movie is more about learning about Thor, I expect any sequel to have more action.
BradySmithDec 21, 2013
Thor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. InThor is an enjoyable superhero movie. It doesn't really try anything new, but it uses the standard ingredients well enough. It has a likeable hero, decent visual effects, and a very good finale. Sometimes it can even make you sad. In places the script and direction do need some work though. It's no Dark Knight ,but what else is? Well to be honest Iron Man, and the first two Spider-Man films were also better than Thor. So it's not exactly one of its genre's best. It's just above average entertainment. I can live with that. Expand
DanBurritoOct 9, 2015
Unique among superhero films. For one thing, it's got a fantasy feel to it and for another thing, the main character has been stripped of his powers for most of the movie so it's more of a fish out of water story. Tom Hiddleson's Loki wasUnique among superhero films. For one thing, it's got a fantasy feel to it and for another thing, the main character has been stripped of his powers for most of the movie so it's more of a fish out of water story. Tom Hiddleson's Loki was brilliant (looks like the MCU has found their Heath Ledger) and Chris Hemsworth was very good as the title character. It's a pretty good movie, different from most films of its kind. Expand
gm101May 6, 2011
Better than the Iron Man movies, and the best Marvel movie since 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Loki may stand alongside Final Fantasy's Sephiroth as one of the best villains ever! I have a very good feeling now about Captain America and TheBetter than the Iron Man movies, and the best Marvel movie since 2008's The Incredible Hulk. Loki may stand alongside Final Fantasy's Sephiroth as one of the best villains ever! I have a very good feeling now about Captain America and The Avengers. And don't worry, the post-converted 3D was actually done well. Two thumbs up! Expand
Knicksfan7Jun 1, 2011
This movie was EPIC! I absolutely loved this movie, the action was amazing. Chris Hemsworth, although I never heard of him before this movie was a perfect fit for this film. He has the perfect look and size for Thor. The only reason I gaveThis movie was EPIC! I absolutely loved this movie, the action was amazing. Chris Hemsworth, although I never heard of him before this movie was a perfect fit for this film. He has the perfect look and size for Thor. The only reason I gave this a 9 and not a 10 is because it got a little corny at times, but thats understanding though because its tough to make a comic book movie like this and make it perfectly realistic, It definitely does not deserve the ratings it is getting from critics. I've seen it twice and plan on seeing it another, great movie, overall, 9.5/10, now I can't wait to see Thor in the Avengers May 4th of 2012! Expand
AkkharSep 5, 2011
This is a Great adaption of the known comics book THOR . All of them behind and front of the movie did an amazing work . The whole film is a mixture of Action , thriller , mystery and Funny element that exactly a good movie should have .This is a Great adaption of the known comics book THOR . All of them behind and front of the movie did an amazing work . The whole film is a mixture of Action , thriller , mystery and Funny element that exactly a good movie should have . Sometimes it seems better then Marvel's Iron Man . The Sound tracks and Special Effect was super . Stellan , Anthony , Tom , Kat & Natalie did so good .And Chris was the perfect choice for playing Thor . Kenneth's Direction was great . Story : 1.62 [All comics adaption Movie seems too flat but it was so close to be perfect] Directing : 1.62 Acting : 1.72 [Perfect Chris and amazing Natalie and Tom] Sound :1.62 Effect : 1.72 OVERALL : 8.210â Expand
Khunter4382Sep 14, 2011
The entire film is supported by an all-star cast and each one delivers a pretty darn good performance. Every scene in Asgard, Jotunheim, and in between those two locations quite simply steals the show. I was mesmerized with these settings andThe entire film is supported by an all-star cast and each one delivers a pretty darn good performance. Every scene in Asgard, Jotunheim, and in between those two locations quite simply steals the show. I was mesmerized with these settings and I wish we could have seen more of them. Earth is lackluster when compared to the aforementioned locations, but Thor does make it a tab bit more interesting. The presence of Hopkins is always appreciated and Skarsgard is magnificent as always. Hemsworth is not bad either! This film looks spectacular on Blu-Ray! Expand
BarneyOnMTMar 12, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: 'Thor' is majestic, fantastical yet heart-filled. Really, it's a shock it's so good, but thanks Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearean characterisation, we get one of the better hero origins we've seen. Branagh's attention to detailWHAT I LIKED: 'Thor' is majestic, fantastical yet heart-filled. Really, it's a shock it's so good, but thanks Kenneth Brannagh's Shakespearean characterisation, we get one of the better hero origins we've seen. Branagh's attention to detail is perfect for this world and these characters, as are the incredible cast who are all perfect for their roles. This film will make you smile, triumph, and it'll even tug at your heart strings.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It could have done with a touch more action and a more interesting plot to add to it's overall impact. Oh, and, what was Loki's plan exactly...?
VERDICT: A fantasy take on Superhero films, 'Thor' is sadly Marvel's forgotten gem - it's actually very good.
txrangersfan72May 6, 2011
What has made Nolan's Batman, as well as Favreau's Iron Man, movies so well-received has been because they have taken normal humans and had them rise into something bigger, making it more believable, no matter how outlandish. So when I heardWhat has made Nolan's Batman, as well as Favreau's Iron Man, movies so well-received has been because they have taken normal humans and had them rise into something bigger, making it more believable, no matter how outlandish. So when I heard Thor would be included, as he should, in the Avengers saga, especially with his own film, I was admittedly concerned that there was no way to maintain the integrity established by Nolan and Favreau and retain the strong story and audience. I was wrong. While not a perfect film, I cannot imagine a better handling of this mythological story and have it connect to the world today as perfectly as Kenneth Branagh's Thor. Expand
avatar16Aug 23, 2011
Thor n'est, au final, pas le film d'action attendu. Même si les personnages sont traités en profondeur comme rarement dans ce genre de divertissement, le film traîne pas mal en longueur, au point deThor n'est, au final, pas le film d'action attendu. Même si les personnages sont traités en profondeur comme rarement dans ce genre de divertissement, le film traîne pas mal en longueur, au point de gâcher la plupart des séquences qui se montraient jouissives dans la bande-annonce (comme le combat avec l'espèce de robot). De plus, certains acteurs déçoivent (surtout Natalie Portman qui surjoue énormément) et la plupart des cadrages ne sont pas terribles (trop en biais). Mais Thor conserve un certain charme grâce à ces décors et costumes (je préfère nettement cet Asgard high-tech), de bons effets visuels, une plaisante bande-originale et un humour bien placé. Pas aussi bon que L'Incroyable Hulk et Iron Man, mais un bon divertissement non sans défauts. Expand
StevieGJDMay 9, 2011
I was surprised how much I liked the Norse mythology modern love story mash up. Hemsworth is a very credible Thor. His band of friends are fun to watch. I liked the two congruent stories, on earth and in Thor's home world. Anthony HopkinsI was surprised how much I liked the Norse mythology modern love story mash up. Hemsworth is a very credible Thor. His band of friends are fun to watch. I liked the two congruent stories, on earth and in Thor's home world. Anthony Hopkins was his usual credible self as Odin. Anyone could have played the Natalie Portman part, but she was fine, nothing special. Still, it was fun to watch. I'm glad I did not see it in 3D because it was very dark at times and that is a recipe for disaster in 3d. It was entertaining, light, did not take itself too seriously and was fun: great summer movie. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The basic message of â
TTW107May 6, 2012
Everyone I talked to about Thor thoroughly disliked it, but I'm really not sure why. It kept my attention throughout and the special effects looked beautiful. I agree that the story could've been a little more exciting but oh well, it wasEveryone I talked to about Thor thoroughly disliked it, but I'm really not sure why. It kept my attention throughout and the special effects looked beautiful. I agree that the story could've been a little more exciting but oh well, it was definitely entertaining and worth my one buck to rent through redbox. Expand
superbatOct 2, 2016
Thor, overall, was a pretty enjoyable movie, but it's 3D rendering and heavy-CGI effects lower its score to a 7. The acting was great (from Hemsworth and Hiddleston in particular) and was lots of the fun, but they used too much CGI in theThor, overall, was a pretty enjoyable movie, but it's 3D rendering and heavy-CGI effects lower its score to a 7. The acting was great (from Hemsworth and Hiddleston in particular) and was lots of the fun, but they used too much CGI in the making of it, and at times I was distracted Expand
filmtrashreviewJun 8, 2011
Thor blends mythology and superhero together so well that at times you forget which one is which. This is a must see for any person planning on watching The Avengers. However if your not a true fan of comic book films its better that you passThor blends mythology and superhero together so well that at times you forget which one is which. This is a must see for any person planning on watching The Avengers. However if your not a true fan of comic book films its better that you pass on this one. Expand
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: One of the better films in the â Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 19, 2014
Thor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by hisThor spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster, has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Expand
davenbettridgeJul 17, 2011
Thor would have been so easy for film makers to screw up; an armoured super hero with a magic hammer and red cape in modern times is something that was very tricky to get right, and at least not totally ridiculous. Well, Im happy to say thatThor would have been so easy for film makers to screw up; an armoured super hero with a magic hammer and red cape in modern times is something that was very tricky to get right, and at least not totally ridiculous. Well, Im happy to say that while the movie Thor is certainly not perfect and has a few problems, is still enjoyable enough to make it worth your while. The characters are fun enough, the setting is interesting, and the character arc of Thor works. The love story does seem a bit forced, one of the comic relief characters is annoying and unnecessary, and the scenes in the on earth are a bit flat compared to the scene in the world in which Thor originates; however what we have is fun, and enjoyable enough to watch compared to most popular movies. Im interested in seeing where Thor goes from here. Expand
ZerpnosMar 4, 2017
Dünyaya ışınlanan Thor ilk başta olayları araştıran birileriyle tanışır ve kıza aşık olur. Güzel zamanlar geçiren Thor artık çekici bulmanın vaktini geldiğini anlamıştır fakat biraz geç kalmıştır. Agents of Shield denen ekip çoktan çekicinDünyaya ışınlanan Thor ilk başta olayları araştıran birileriyle tanışır ve kıza aşık olur. Güzel zamanlar geçiren Thor artık çekici bulmanın vaktini geldiğini anlamıştır fakat biraz geç kalmıştır. Agents of Shield denen ekip çoktan çekicin etrafını çevirmiş ve incelemeye başlamıştır. Sonunda çekicine kavuşan Thor, Dünyaya gönderilen Yokediciyi ardından Asgarda saldırmak isteyen kötüleri durdurur. Expand
SuperheroMoviesApr 17, 2014
Bolstered by an enthusiastic cast and a broad sense of humor, Thor is one Marvel film that delivers on many levels and is delivered with an honest, fun spirit that will spark the sense of adventure.
MoviebuffreviewJun 19, 2011
Thor had solid acting, including a breakthrough performance by Chris Hemsworth, great action, solid humor, and a good ending. However, Thor also suffered from some pacing issues and some scenes that take you out of the experience.Thor had solid acting, including a breakthrough performance by Chris Hemsworth, great action, solid humor, and a good ending. However, Thor also suffered from some pacing issues and some scenes that take you out of the experience. Nonetheless, this is still a movie worth watching and is a solid adaptation before The Avengers comes out next year. Expand
kingshahidJul 26, 2011
This movie was very entertaining. It had its moments. Although not a comedy movie we will never forget the moment when the interrogation was happening as we still laugh at that joke (albeit it may not have been intended as a joke). I didn'tThis movie was very entertaining. It had its moments. Although not a comedy movie we will never forget the moment when the interrogation was happening as we still laugh at that joke (albeit it may not have been intended as a joke). I didn't see the real point of it being in 3D as it was not nearly as entertaining as other movies in terms of being 3D. Nonetheless this story and the action in it was great. Again, it could have been better though. Expand
Mad_Hatter91May 9, 2013
This film has exceeded my expectations. It 's been really nice and was able to entertain me without annoying me. I especially loved the character of Loki. Great performance by Tom Hiddleston.
cag11Nov 29, 2013
I can understand if someone didn't like this movie. It has a shallow plot that doesn't have much action in it. I did like it because I'm more focused on whether or not the plot was executed good. It did good for a part one.
SonicHD7Jun 1, 2017
As the son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins), king of the Norse gods, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) will soon inherit the throne of Asgard from his aging father. However, on the day that he is to be crowned, Thor reacts with brutality when the gods'As the son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins), king of the Norse gods, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) will soon inherit the throne of Asgard from his aging father. However, on the day that he is to be crowned, Thor reacts with brutality when the gods' enemies, the Frost Giants, enter the palace in violation of their treaty. As punishment, Odin banishes Thor to Earth. While Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Thor's brother, plots mischief in Asgard, Thor, now stripped of his powers, faces his greatest threat. Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
Kenneth Branagh invests this comicbook epic with a weighty yet never overbearing Shakespearean dimension.

Neither the star pupil nor the dunce of the Marvel superhero-to-screen class, “Thor” delivers the goods so long as butt is being kicked and family conflict is playing out in celestial dimensions, but is less thrilling during the Norse warrior god’s rather brief banishment on Earth. With Aussie hunk Chris Hemsworth impressive in the lead and helmer Kenneth Branagh investing the dramatic passages with a weighty yet never overbearing Shakespearean dimension, pic looks sure to reap big B.O. on the strength of its ready-made audience, but faces a tougher time attracting viewers for whom this type of fare is the exception rather than the rule.

Although the comicbook has been in print since 1962, Thor hasn’t scored much more than supporting roles and guest spots in various toons and telepics since. With this in mind, scripters Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne have wisely penned an unhurried but engrossing half-hour setup of the lesser-known Marvel character and the three worlds he inhabits.

Opening snapshot in New Mexico finds astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), her gal-pal/assistant Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings) and Jane’s mentor, Dr. Erik Sevig (Stellan Skarsgard) investigating a twister-like atmospheric disturbance. In their haste to discover what’s come down in the storm, their RV knocks down Thor (Hemsworth), a buff and bearded stranger.

Bulk of the action in the first couple of reels sets up Thor’s fall from grace in his homeland, Asgard, a heavenly realm ruled by his supremely wise but aging father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins). Just moments away from peacefully ascending the throne ahead of brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Thor leaps into an eye-popping interdimensional portal and leads an unauthorized attack on Jotunheim, home to their enemies, the Frost Giants, led by reptile-like Laufey (Colm Feore). Odin’s punishment: Thor is dispatched to Midgard (Earth) with his magical hammer, Mjolnir, but cannot use the mighty instrument until he overcomes the classic mythological shortcomings of arrogance and impetuosity.

Speckled with amusing fish-out-of-water humor as Thor marches around a dusty New Mexico town like he’s still in Asgard, the story promises much from the attentions of government agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) and Thor’s brewing confrontation with the Destroyer, a hulking creation that resembles a high-tech suit of armor and shoots fire from its eyes. He’s joined in this endeavor by Asgard warrior pals Sif (Jaimie Alexander), Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Fandral (Josh Dallas), and Hogun (Tadanobu Asano).

Yet Thor’s smackdown with the Destroyer is all too brief and anticlimactic when stacked up against the spectacularly rendered rumbles in other dimensions. Though Thor’s romance with Jane is passable, thanks largely to Portman’s sterling work in a thinly written role, the couple isn’t given enough alone time or meaningful dialogue to raise the relationship above the ordinary.

It’s a different matter in the heavens. Hopkins rises to the occasion with a restrained yet powerful portrayal of a father forced by conscience to deal the bitterest of judgments upon his chosen heir, and Hiddleston gives a finely tuned perf as the sibling whose loyalty or otherwise to Thor remains a tantalizing question until deep into proceedings. Almost unrecognizable as the star of Aussie soap “Home and Away” in the mid-2000s, Hemsworth holds his own in distinguished company and will serve the series well in any sequels and “The Avengers,” Marvel’s all-star superhero bash skedded for 2012 release. Given only a handful of lines, Rene Russo is under-used as Odin’s wife, Frigga.

As the living actor and director most closely associated with Shakespeare, Branagh may seem a surprise choice for such material. A childhood reader of the comics, he brings a fan’s enthusiasm and his skill as an actor’s director to the table here. Fitting Hemsworth out with a classical but never pompous British accent and shooting emotionally charged sequences with elegant simplicity, Branagh succeeds in rendering his mythological characters deeply human.

While no fatal missteps are taken along Thor’s path to redemption, pic has a slightly choppy feel, as if it’s trying to squeeze an origin tale and at least part of its sequel into a single entity. Most of the material motors along just fine, though the editing occasionally seems a bit too hurried in moving from one dimension to the next. An extra reel of Earth-bound story might not have gone astray.

Effects work is on the money, with the suspended, glowing Bitfrost gateway from Asgard to other worlds an eye-catching highlight. All other technical credits are thoroughly pro.
moviegrabbagJun 12, 2011
The movie was a lot of fun with a neat story. Chris Hemmsworth did a very good job and Natalie Portman was amazing as usual. This movie is well worth the watch if you are a big comic book movie fan and worth the watch if you just want to haveThe movie was a lot of fun with a neat story. Chris Hemmsworth did a very good job and Natalie Portman was amazing as usual. This movie is well worth the watch if you are a big comic book movie fan and worth the watch if you just want to have a good afternoon movie. Expand
Bugger217Sep 13, 2017
Thor is essentially split into two parts. One taking place in Asgard, the realm where Thor comes from, and the other taking place on Earth. The Asgard portion of the film is magical. It's visually spectacular and there's a genuine sense ofThor is essentially split into two parts. One taking place in Asgard, the realm where Thor comes from, and the other taking place on Earth. The Asgard portion of the film is magical. It's visually spectacular and there's a genuine sense of place. Chris Hemsworth has the right kind of swagger as Thor. Tom Hiddleston is a revelation as Loki. Anthony Hopkins brings appropriate amounts of gravitas as Odin.

The Earth portion is less than magical. It looks a lot cheaper, and not just because it's literally more "down-to-Earth." The sets are poorly constructed, and it's here that the film's most uninteresting characters and plot points are introduced. Thor's fish-out-of-water moments are amusing, but Natalie Portman is terribly miscast as his love interest, and their chemistry isn't very strong. Kat Dennings' character is supposed to be funny, but comes off as annoying.

Regardless, there's more good than bad to be found here. The cast is mostly great, the action is a lot of fun, Asgard is a joy to spend time in, and it's here that Marvel Studios truly began to properly build their cinematic universe, bridging multiple franchises, without feeling overstuffed or incomplete.
bram29May 5, 2012
i really liked how they portrayed asgard. and although i thought the movie was a bit too lighthearted, i must admit that it was always fun.
ElectroNickMay 1, 2016
Thor hd always been one of the more boring characters in the Marvel universe since there wasn't really more to him outside of being a Norse God. This film though really fixed that as Thor has a similar character arc to Tony Stark but thereThor hd always been one of the more boring characters in the Marvel universe since there wasn't really more to him outside of being a Norse God. This film though really fixed that as Thor has a similar character arc to Tony Stark but there are a few differences. Thor starts as a prideful prince who lets the power get to his head but later learns the value of mortal life. He goes to Earth after being cast out from Asgard which gives way to interesting character interactions. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect choice to play the God of Thunder and he has great chemistry with Natalie Portman as Jane Foster. There is also a nice comrade re with the Warriors three much like their comic book counter parts. Anthony Hopkins carries a strong presence as Odin which is standard for such a powerhouse actor. The one actor who really steals the show is Tom Hiddleton as Loki. He is a devious character hence why he is called the God of Mischief but he is sympathetic as well in this incarnation. He is so good as the god of mischief that he even fooled me on more than one occasion which makes him a great villain since he is manipulative and unpredictable. Kenneth Branagh directs this film with his trademark visual flare making this film not only fun to watch but also beautiful to behold. This film made me a new Thor fan and I can't wait to see what awaits him in the future. Expand
KingmushMay 10, 2011

In all honesty I was kind of reluctant going into Thor. I'm not a huge fan of all the superhero movies coming out but I do like the idea of the combined Avengers one that Marvel seems to be working towards and after watching both Iron Mans...well, guess I should give the whole universe a shot. Although Natalie Portman helped my decision as well.

So while I didn't go in with the openest of minds, I will say I did enjoy it. The action scenes were amazing as I knew they would be, combine that with the spectacular visuals of the other realms and this movie was very visually appealing (and this is without Portman mind you) so that alone was great. Not a movie you'd fall asleep in. I also really liked, again, the subtle notions towards the Avengers grand plot. Whether it was referring back to some scenes from Iron Man or even slight comments about the Hulk and others, very nice touch I always appreciate in movies. I guess my only down points to the movie would be the slowness of progression at some points. Mainly at the beginning but usually all the scenes when they were in the other world. It looked amazing..but not much going on there which kind of bored me. Another issue was some of the comedic relief...just didn't seem to bode well in some circumstances.

Overall a great continuation of the Avengers series and great Superhero movie as well.
ZalJan 11, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not big on superhero movies and I have not seen that many. But I am proud to say that I have seen Thor and liked it. I didn't expect to. I haven't read the comics but I'm fully aware of what Thor in the comic book series looks like and I know that the books are very campy and goofy.
There are several reasons why I love this movie. First of all, the acting is good, which is not something I expected from this film. Chris Hemsworth, aside from being incredibly handsome, plays the role of Thor very well. He's able to show a playful yet sympathetic side to Thor. My favorite bit of him acting is when he is taken into custody by SHIELD and Loki comes to visit him and tells him about the "death" of Odin. Hemsworth acting is entirely genuine in this scene. All of the other actors are good. There are two that I didn't like quite as much. First, Anthony Hopkins as Odin. This is more of a casting issue than an acting issue because I like Hopkins but I think he looks silly as Odin. Then there is the guy who played Loki (whose name I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up). He was good for the most part, but there were times when he REALLY went over the top. Also, what is up with that stupid hat?
All of the characters are fun and interesting. Thor is surprisingly complex and Loki is a great character, too. I love all of Thor's friends from Asgard. Kat Denning's character Darcy is very funny.
Some people I know complain that there wasn't as much action as there should have been. Personally, I didn't mind that there wasn't much action. There was more time spend on developing Thor and the other characters and that made up for it.
I did think it was sort of strange how the climax involved Thor trying to save the frost giants. It didn't make much sense and it was very short. It was disappointing.
Overall it's pretty good and I'm looking forward to the sequel and Avengers movie.
By the way, Idris Elba is in the movie. AWESOME!
JollyG87Dec 13, 2011
In terms of the style of the whole thing, this adaptation of "Thor" could not have been better. The dialogue has a bit of that Shakespearean bravado to it, but it's not overly done. The costume translations are the best of any superhero movieIn terms of the style of the whole thing, this adaptation of "Thor" could not have been better. The dialogue has a bit of that Shakespearean bravado to it, but it's not overly done. The costume translations are the best of any superhero movie to date, and the creation of Asgard is just how I pictured it when I read the comic books. Branagh handles the action scenes like a seasoned action director, cleverly mixing CGI animation with close-up shots of the real people. Even the cast is perfect. Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, the trickiest hero in the Marvel universe, and he does so wonderfully. He encapsulates Thor's brash arrogance and sympathetic nature with ease. I also loved Tom Hiddleston as "Loki". He's able to bring what few actors can to a villain; humanity and sympathy. You come to understand why Loki commits the actions that he does. You don't necessarily agree with them, but he's able to become a character who commits actions for a purpose rather than for mere evil intentions. So why isn't Thor a "great" movie? Well, this adaptation suffers from a lot of the same elements of other book adaptations. It feels rushed. There's so much story and so many characters that even at a two hour running time, Branagh is unable to explore it all sufficiently. It would have been better if we saw more of Asgard in the beginning, and also more character interaction between Thor and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Also, very few of the characters are developed sufficiently (Loki and Odin were the only characters I felt were explored fully). Now this is kind of a good and a bad thing. It's bad in the sense that you don't feel like you got the complete movie experience when it's all said and done, but at the same time, this "Thor" acts like the first "X-Men" film where it more or less introduces all of the characters leaving room for more character exploration in the sequels ahead. It's kind of like the series premiere of a TV show where the movie "Thor" is there to hook you in to the concept and leave you wanting more. Overall, "Thor" is an immensely good time at the movies. It could have been something really great, but it settles by delivering an engaging story with fun characters and terrific action scenes. Expand
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
First of all: watch the Credits completely! After that you will see something that changes everything! Thor is funny and loaded with heaps of action. The basic story is well known. So this movie doesn't extend your understandment of the storyFirst of all: watch the Credits completely! After that you will see something that changes everything! Thor is funny and loaded with heaps of action. The basic story is well known. So this movie doesn't extend your understandment of the story of Thor. Some special effects look like a few years behind newest standards but it"s absolutely worth to see it. Good mixture of fun and action, combined with fantasy elements created a better movie the some other superhero movies! Lovestory is only sideeffect what makes the movie even better... Expand
lususgreeneMay 6, 2011
They managed to make a comic movie plot driven rather than action driven. Not that the action wasn't there, it was. This movie proved that not EVERY comic movie has to end with a half hour long "Transformers" like battle in the middle of aThey managed to make a comic movie plot driven rather than action driven. Not that the action wasn't there, it was. This movie proved that not EVERY comic movie has to end with a half hour long "Transformers" like battle in the middle of a major city. How cliche that is becoming! Kudos to all involved in Thor for showing that comics and comic movies can be real art too.

Now I am not saying that this movie is even close to being on par with any of the great movie classics, but it is good art, much better and deeper than the majority of comic movies. The people who hate this movie will be the same people who loved transformers and that certainly is not me.
Edward9630Aug 1, 2011
Thor is a very good film. It has a great story, the characters are told well and the action scenes are very cool. My only problem with this film is that the humour in this film isnt really funny at all. I wouldnt say this is better thenThor is a very good film. It has a great story, the characters are told well and the action scenes are very cool. My only problem with this film is that the humour in this film isnt really funny at all. I wouldnt say this is better then Captain America: The First Avenger but its definitely better then Green Lantern. I would give this film a high matinee! Expand
dougaussieNov 5, 2013
Great eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more andGreat eye candy. Lots of explosiony dusty dark stuff. bit of a story line. very little yukky romance, the side kick to thors girlfriend was good light relief humor. Lots of destruction, I like the destruction bits. You just like loki more and more. Great spaceship design. Now the bad: if the dark stuff is imprisoned in the core of some planet how can thors girlfriend accidently get to it, that's just stretching it too far, poor writing. And give me a break, a scientist on earth has some techno sticks that will stop the alignment of planets. Theres some good ideas and effects let down by logic gaps. Expand
cumoviesJul 26, 2014
this movie to me was very good acting special effects action story was all good but not great this movie is better than a 7 but not good enough to be an 8.
my ratting 7.7/10 action 8/10 story 7.5/10 acting 8/10 comedy 7/10
my ratting 7.7/10 action 8/10 story 7.5/10 acting 8/10 comedy 7/10 characters/character development 8/10
mau1133May 6, 2011
very nice , it had some really good stuff and i never relized there were some many thing related to thor , there were so many charaters and so many things goint on that it was very entertainging. the plot was hard to follw maybe becuase ivery nice , it had some really good stuff and i never relized there were some many thing related to thor , there were so many charaters and so many things goint on that it was very entertainging. the plot was hard to follw maybe becuase i went to see it at 10 pm, but thats llife Expand
Delta_AssaultSep 28, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The concept of Thor always appeared to be a difficult proposition for a film adaptation. The very idea of an actual Norse God as a superhero, co-existing with your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and your military-industrial Iron Man, just seemed far-fetched. Would he wear tights and speak in ye olde Norse dialect? Fortunately, Kenneth Branagh was up to the challenge and has delivered a fairly first-rate superhero film whose ambitions are never that high but which succeeds on pure force of execution and entertainment value. Asgard in this movie looks like some sci-fi vision of the Emerald City, which works quite well with this audacious and fantastical vision of the Marvel Universe's cosmic realm. Given that they're presented more like alien overlords then actual spiritual Gods, the glorious sheen of polished hallways with strange otherworldly designs melds well with the rustic Viking elements of long dining halls and carved stone steps. In other films, I'll often decry the widespread and indiscriminate use of CGI as a serious detriment, as they look wrong and pull the audience out of the story. Yet here... the world of Asgard obviously looked CGI, but it didn't bother me. After all, it's an utterly foreign world of Norse gods/aliens living on a planet in another galaxy/dimension and possessing technology which qualifies as both magic and science. In such a land, you can't help but get something that looks like CGI. It's not real, it makes no effort to look real, and I found it worked quite well for what they were going for.

Of all the elements in this film, the humor is probably what stands out to me the most. I found myself laughing, chuckling, and giggling more often during this screening then I have in quite a long time at the theater. Most of that humor comes from Kat Dennings's character Darcy, with lines like, "Mew mew? What's mew mew?" which always seemed to hit their mark, at least with me. The middle act is basically a fish out of water story, and wrings as much comedy out of that premise as you'd imagine. I dunno, maybe I'm just real easy to entertain, but the comedy all worked. It ends up striking that nice balance between humor and seriousness without tipping over into absolute goofiness that can ruin a superhero film.

Finally, Natalie Portman has managed to get herself into a good sci-fi film, cause those Star Wars prequels sure as hell didn't do it. While her performance is in tune with the rest of the film and quite competent, I never did buy her as a physicist studying Einstein-Rosen bridges. Anyone expecting something incredible and transformative like her Oscar-winning turn in Black Swan is going to be sorely disappointed, but... that's not really the sort of expectation you should have for this kind of film, I'd have to say. It's not amazing by any stretch, but she also doesn't embarrass herself here. Most of the time, she's being a giggly, googly-eyed girl, which is how pretty much any human female would behave in the presence of a winsome God of Thunder like Thor, I suppose. Oh, and her line reading of "Oh My God" has to be one of the top three deliveries of that phrase ever uttered on film. It is hysterical.

Chris Hemsworth makes for a dashing, slightly arrogant, and incredibly powerful Thor. I'll admit, I was somewhat leery of the casting choice at first, not because he didn't physically resemble the comic book character, not at all, but because honestly... I wasn't much of a fan of his performance at the beginning of Star Trek 09. Oh sure, it was just a small role, and he didn't have that much to work with, but his line delivery just didn't quite click with me. And then we heard of the rumors on set, where supposedly Anthony Hopkins had berated him for being lousy. Well, whether they were true or not seems moot now, because Hemsworth delivers a very comfortable, crowd pleasing performance which cements his status as a rising star in Hollywood and probably gives what many Thor readers have hoped and dreamed of. I can't say if his Thor is precisely one that leaps right off the pages of the comic book since I've never read a Thor comic, but it does seem safe to say that his is a rather faithful and well-executed portrayal. Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor, and Hemsworth proves to be worthy indeed.

While there's no weak link and everyone does a fairly good job, Tom Hiddleston is unquestionably the standout performance of the bunch as Loki. It's striking how effective and yet subtle his performance is. He brings this deep layer of pathos and turmoil to the character that allows you to understand some of his motivations, even if you don't necessarily react sympathetically to his actions. The central story of the entire film is ultimately one between two brothers, and Hiddleston absolutely elevates it to a higher plane than anyone could have expected.
Tranquilbez22Nov 15, 2011
To say that Thor is a bad superhero movie is wrong but saying it's the greatest superhero movie is also wrong. Though I enjoyed Chris Hemsworth as Thor and I found everyone to be not as enthusiastic as Thor himself particularly Kat DenningsTo say that Thor is a bad superhero movie is wrong but saying it's the greatest superhero movie is also wrong. Though I enjoyed Chris Hemsworth as Thor and I found everyone to be not as enthusiastic as Thor himself particularly Kat Dennings character who just was annoying and made to many references to todays society. the CGI effects are terrific particularly the Asgard scenes. Nice little cameo from Hawkeye for next years Avengers film and Samuel L. Jackson makes another appearance as Nick Fury which is pretty cool. Overall the was ok just a few things wrong with it. hopefully the Avengers and Thor 2 in 2013 will sort things out. I look forward to seeing Hemsworth work with RDJ and Chris Evans next year Expand
Kes4278Jul 31, 2017
Well, can't say I am a little disappointed. I mean the movie is descent.Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddelston were great.Natalie Portman was alright. I would give it a fair 7/10
heybuddymoviesAug 1, 2011
Since Iron Man I have really enjoyed the way that Marvel Studios is going about incorporating their characters into the film world and Thor is no exception. We have seen over the years, since Robert Downey Jr. donned that red and yellowSince Iron Man I have really enjoyed the way that Marvel Studios is going about incorporating their characters into the film world and Thor is no exception. We have seen over the years, since Robert Downey Jr. donned that red and yellow suit, that Marvel treats their films like their comics, intertwined stories over different characters playing in the same universe. We have seen the cool additional scenes that come after the credits rolled and even seen nods to other characters in the Marvel universe in the background or right there in front of the main character. It has been great, and something I wish DC comics would have done, but I have enjoyed what they have done with Batman, weâ Expand
GarianAug 8, 2012
I liked Thor, the story seemed strong and the characters played their role pretty well, the way Thor interacted with the people on earth was hilarious, and near the end it was good to see him act more human towards them. It wasn't perfect,I liked Thor, the story seemed strong and the characters played their role pretty well, the way Thor interacted with the people on earth was hilarious, and near the end it was good to see him act more human towards them. It wasn't perfect, but it was a very good movie and I enjoyed watching it. Expand
TrackerDeviceNov 2, 2015
Chris Hemsworth does an excellent job as playing Thor while the supporting also proves to be effective as well. With great action scenes, storytelling, and it sense of humor, Thor will definitely not disappoint fans.
julian_zizzleAug 3, 2011
Really nice piece of art. Some animations were really beautiful. Especially the Bifrost Bridge was magnificent. But there were some flaws at the story of the movie. For example after the end of movie, i still did not understand what was theReally nice piece of art. Some animations were really beautiful. Especially the Bifrost Bridge was magnificent. But there were some flaws at the story of the movie. For example after the end of movie, i still did not understand what was the true intention of Loki, but maybe that was because he was the god of mischief :P Expand
moviekretikOct 31, 2011
The idea of a "classic" director like Kenneth Branagh making a superhero film might initially sound strange, but in the case of Thor that ended up being very appropriate, because the comic always used Shakespearean drama and archaic languageThe idea of a "classic" director like Kenneth Branagh making a superhero film might initially sound strange, but in the case of Thor that ended up being very appropriate, because the comic always used Shakespearean drama and archaic language to tell the story of the God of Thunder, the political/family conflicts in the Asgard kingdom and its interaction with the universe of Marvel Comics. An exhilarating experience, with splendid visuals and a great dose of witty humor. Thor is a very entertaining flick and i was flabbergasted with the CGI effects in this! They are amazingly well done and pretty realistic. Though of all the praises fired up there's a lot of improvement that should have been made for this movie especially the story though simplicity means beautiful I still believe it should have been greatly produced with sort of brain twisting climax. Overall very descent and spectacular film..CGI brings the entertainment plus the fact I love Natalie Portman. Expand
boxenford92May 14, 2011
This film was awesome. It was as entertaining as the first Iron Man.The action was crafted well and the acting was great too. Kenneth Branagh was a perfect fit to direct this film and I can't wait for the Avengers
BlogDog123May 26, 2011
Norse mythology is great and all, but the WAY over-the-top action kinda gets repetitive and boring. At least Thor has its good moments, like his hammer, Mjolnir.
xXAnthonyXxMay 12, 2011
It was good. Better than I expected. At first, I thought it was going to suck. One thing ruined it....one thing. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Every movie, I mean EVERY movie has a romance angle in it. Sure he kicked ass but jeezus.It was good. Better than I expected. At first, I thought it was going to suck. One thing ruined it....one thing. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Every movie, I mean EVERY movie has a romance angle in it. Sure he kicked ass but jeezus. Come on, even the god of thunder gets a little. Ugh, I hate romance angles, it screws up movies. Expand
Princess_PeachJun 4, 2011
This movie is full of great visuals and great acting (although a little cheesy at times). This movie is highly entertaining. However, I am a little disappointed that the final battle was a little anti-climatic, but I see why they didn't doThis movie is full of great visuals and great acting (although a little cheesy at times). This movie is highly entertaining. However, I am a little disappointed that the final battle was a little anti-climatic, but I see why they didn't do that. They have to leave Thor some awesomeness for the Avengers! Expand
ESS180May 7, 2011
When i first came across this film, i thought this was gonna be cool. I am a big marvel fan so i decided to see it. It was amazing!! The special effects were excellent! The action was amazing! The acting was good. I mean I had a great time atWhen i first came across this film, i thought this was gonna be cool. I am a big marvel fan so i decided to see it. It was amazing!! The special effects were excellent! The action was amazing! The acting was good. I mean I had a great time at the movies! Overall awesome.

HighwayUKJun 1, 2012
Hmm very mixed bag this one, read the comics as a kid but never really got hooked on the character, this movie spends a great deal of time on Thor's vanity more than anything else, by the time the real story is kicking in the credits areHmm very mixed bag this one, read the comics as a kid but never really got hooked on the character, this movie spends a great deal of time on Thor's vanity more than anything else, by the time the real story is kicking in the credits are close. Not a bad movie but probably the weakest origin movie so far. Expand
CanisrahJun 4, 2011
I went into this film with very low expectations. I'm not usually one who enjoys the superhero genre. However, this movie, much like Batman Begins, was a brilliant experience for me. The underlying themes of jealously, betrayal, and coming ofI went into this film with very low expectations. I'm not usually one who enjoys the superhero genre. However, this movie, much like Batman Begins, was a brilliant experience for me. The underlying themes of jealously, betrayal, and coming of age - timeless, were here executed into an almost operatic crescendo. The film is let down at some points with some pretty banal dialogue where the characters are attempting to be witty, or add humor to an otherwise dramatic scene - and this sometimes falls flat. But these small niggles aside, Thor is an exciting, adventurous, and engaging film. Lots of fun, and with some truly epic moments. Anthony Hopkins is magnificent as Odin. I'm somewhat at a loss to understand why many critics are canning this film, as I found it to be very entertaining. Expand
shimano6000Jul 16, 2011
This is a great movie. It won't ever be in the top 100 movies of all time, but is part of a franchise that is building. I was expecting that most of this movie would be set on earth, but was stoked to see another universe displayed, andThis is a great movie. It won't ever be in the top 100 movies of all time, but is part of a franchise that is building. I was expecting that most of this movie would be set on earth, but was stoked to see another universe displayed, and presented so well. This was pure entertainment on a grand scale. Well done. I may not buy it when it comes out, but I loved the experience of watching it. Come on! Anthony Hopkins for the win! Expand
MalevolentMay 31, 2013
This movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The plot was great and the characters were excellent, especially Loki. I can't wait for Thor: The Dark World.
starscream97Nov 3, 2013
While this movie is really good and a great introduction to the character and the world of Asgard, there were a few things that could've been better. Their needed to be more characters because even though the ones we got were greatWhile this movie is really good and a great introduction to the character and the world of Asgard, there were a few things that could've been better. Their needed to be more characters because even though the ones we got were great (Loki...need i say more?) i wanted to spend more time with Heimdall or the Warrior's Three. The main romance was fine as was Thor's character arc, but again more time needed to be spent developing them. The action sequences are great but their needed to be more of them or at least have them be a little bit longer. But the biggest problem is that they get one of the greatest character actors out there, Colm Feore to play the villain and they don't do anything with him. But still this was a really great movie with an awesome cast, great action and impressive effects. Let's just hope that The Dark World fixes these problems. Expand
martinexMay 25, 2011
I thought it was superb but then I was already a fan before the movie's release. In my opinion the genius was in the casting. Anthony Hopkins as Odin was a master stroke and Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor had just the right amount ofI thought it was superb but then I was already a fan before the movie's release. In my opinion the genius was in the casting. Anthony Hopkins as Odin was a master stroke and Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor had just the right amount of pomposity without being too over the top. I did think they missed a comedic opportunity with the Volstag character and took slight liberties with the storyline but those are really only a minor complaints. Overall Mr Branagh really captured the essence of the character which is pretty much all you can ask of a comic book recreation. I left the theater wanting more. Well done. Expand
MRedzuanMay 6, 2011
Very entertaining. The opening sequence was obviously an homage to Lord of the Rings minus the 'epic' feel to it. I really loved all the Iron Man/Tony Stark, Hulk and The Avengers references. The emotional core of 'Thor' was surprisinglyVery entertaining. The opening sequence was obviously an homage to Lord of the Rings minus the 'epic' feel to it. I really loved all the Iron Man/Tony Stark, Hulk and The Avengers references. The emotional core of 'Thor' was surprisingly deep, it felt more human than the mechanical synthetic Iron Man 2. Loved the idea that a God can fall in love with a mortal woman. Chris Hemsworth is perfect for the role and has some really funny scenes walking around New Mexico as the God of Thunder (he's delusional to everyone around him). I'm more into the reality-based superheroes (Batman), but I really enjoyed Thor. If you've been reading the Marvel Comics than you'll definitely love this one. The only problem I had with this movie was the jumping between Asgard and earth, made it feel like it was two different movies simultaneously and not in a good way. Stick around after the end credits for an Avengers spoiler. The Avengers can't come soon enough, really excited for that one! Although this is no Batman Begins or the first Iron Man, it really works as an introduction of the God of Thunder into the Marvel Universe.

Favorite scene: very touching moment between Thor and his Mjolnir.
FinnaticJul 10, 2011
So much is done right in Thor that you forget what could have gone horribly wrong. The artistic flair exhibited in the other-worldly scenes is smashing. Get off your rear, and go out and enjoy a good old comic book action fest while it'sSo much is done right in Thor that you forget what could have gone horribly wrong. The artistic flair exhibited in the other-worldly scenes is smashing. Get off your rear, and go out and enjoy a good old comic book action fest while it's still in theaters. Expand
NEEBONDNov 3, 2011
THOR IS A PURE ACTION FULL OF STORY AND DRAMA OF GODS. AMAZING MOVIE OF 2011. ACCORDING TO ME IN THE WHOLE AVENGERS TEAM THE COOLEST ACTION HERO IS THOR, WHICH MEANS THOR (THE GOD OF THUNDER) REALLY ROCKS. DON'T MISS THE BEST ACTION MOVIE OFTHOR IS A PURE ACTION FULL OF STORY AND DRAMA OF GODS. AMAZING MOVIE OF 2011. ACCORDING TO ME IN THE WHOLE AVENGERS TEAM THE COOLEST ACTION HERO IS THOR, WHICH MEANS THOR (THE GOD OF THUNDER) REALLY ROCKS. DON'T MISS THE BEST ACTION MOVIE OF 2011. BUY IT ON BLU-RAY OR DVD. GO FOR IT!!!! Expand
MrBlackTronJul 28, 2014
Avengers filmine geçiş için karakterleri tanıtmayı amaçlayan bu filmler biraz aceleye getirilse de oyuncu kadrosu çok iyi ve uygun seçilmiş olduğu için yine de seyre değer. Konu klasik biraz tempo da zaman zaman düşüyor. Asıl Thor ve Loki yiAvengers filmine geçiş için karakterleri tanıtmayı amaçlayan bu filmler biraz aceleye getirilse de oyuncu kadrosu çok iyi ve uygun seçilmiş olduğu için yine de seyre değer. Konu klasik biraz tempo da zaman zaman düşüyor. Asıl Thor ve Loki yi 2.filmden itibaren görebileceğiz kanısındayım. Expand
MovieLover123Jul 17, 2016
Not going to lie, I know the plot is nonsensical and the CGI sometimes is mediocre, however the MCU finally has a good villain character in Loki and the hammer is pretty awesome. Overall, it is a great summer popcorn flick and nothing more.Not going to lie, I know the plot is nonsensical and the CGI sometimes is mediocre, however the MCU finally has a good villain character in Loki and the hammer is pretty awesome. Overall, it is a great summer popcorn flick and nothing more. It will definitely not age well, but I definitely enjoyed it while in the moment. Expand
HyperboleJan 17, 2012
The best this kind of movie is going to get. Chris Hemsworth plays the God Jock turned selfless hero perfectly. The supporting cast are good and look like they are having fun at the same time as delivering the goods. Tom Hiddleston isThe best this kind of movie is going to get. Chris Hemsworth plays the God Jock turned selfless hero perfectly. The supporting cast are good and look like they are having fun at the same time as delivering the goods. Tom Hiddleston is perfectly cast as Loki and does a subtle and eerie job in what is ablockbuster type movie. Anthony Hopkins is well cast and does a good job as Zeus. This is the first film since District 9 where I actually enjoyed the CGI. It is well done and works well for the magical Asgard, as well as for Thor and The Destroyer. I thought the humour worked well in the film too and it was nice to see it used at the right times. I also thought the end was decent. Expand
EverlongApr 10, 2012
As someone unfamiliar with the character of Thor I found this film to be quite entertaining. The plot was better than most superhero movies and the visuals were stunning. Certainly worth a watch.
SpartanEdgeMay 16, 2011
I greatly enjoyed this movie,it has to be said.Before watching,i wasnt sure i would when i heard that most of it is set in Asgard,but i liked the whole Asgard setting & events.Though Asgard seemed quite lifeless.The Warriors 3 were somewhatI greatly enjoyed this movie,it has to be said.Before watching,i wasnt sure i would when i heard that most of it is set in Asgard,but i liked the whole Asgard setting & events.Though Asgard seemed quite lifeless.The Warriors 3 were somewhat underused,& mainly serve as a distraction for the Destroyer later on,& i dont see how Thor could 'change his ways' in such a short space of time on Earth,especially as nothing particually profound happend to him,but they had to fit it all into a movie i guess.. Also,seemed a waste just having the earth moments set in some small town in the desert(hardly a place to match the events surrounding Gods).. but as i said at the beginning,i enjoyed this movie at the end of the day.When there was action,it was good,& suprisingly enjoyed the rivalries & politics of the Gods in Asgard.Thor,Loki & Odin were all played really well i thought.Would like to see Thor wear his helmet more in his future appearences though,so he'd look more Thor/Godlike & true to the comic,instead of the Token taking it off in this movie though. Expand
BrahmaBullMay 8, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe not "Iron Man" good, but certainly "Iron Man 2" good. A great rendition of a famous, if not popular, Marvel character. I can't think of a better Thor than Hemsworth (though young Thor maybe could've been played by that "Little Hercules" kid). I was leery of Portman in a Marvel movie but she did good. In fact, the entire cast was quite well chosen: from Odin to Loki to Frigga. They *are* missing one very beloved Norse god (can you guess which one?) But I figure a third Odinson would mess up the plot (don't laugh, there is enough plot to hold it together). The critics were kind of right about scenes on Earth being more dynamic than the ones in Asgard, but the continuous switching between the two keeps this balanced. I thought Asgard a little too sterile to be the viking "heaven" (I was hoping for some hot valkyries), but their rendition of Bifrost works great. The mythology is dealt with exactly as I would have: the Asgardians never refer to themselves as gods. Though the frost giants were a bit puny to be "giants". Marvel continues the trend of strong female characters (Aunt May, Betsy Ross et al) with Jane Foster. I dig the hilarious female sidekick Darcy (Kat Dennings). And Sif (Jaimie Alexander) is a knockout. The rest of Thor's pals were also faithful to the comic. And so were the helmet designs. I miss some of the classic battle cries (For Odin! For Asgard!) but I suppose those went out along with beardless Thor. Still, the fanboys should be pleased with references to Donald Blake and the effect of spinning Mjollnir. Thor could've come off very badly, but it actually ends up standing well on its own. I'm sure it'll rake in big at the box office this weekend, but Thor isn't one of the characters that is easy to make sequels for. This will probably be the one and only. That alone would be a good reason to see it. On top of that, you know that if you're looking forward to Avengers, you're going to have to see all of these solo outings! Expand
ATMitchell99Jun 11, 2011
I love this film. Casting was great and they got the right mixture of new talent and great existing talent. The story is ever so slightly confusing if you don't follow it properly but I understood and enjoyed it. Some will say it is cheesy,I love this film. Casting was great and they got the right mixture of new talent and great existing talent. The story is ever so slightly confusing if you don't follow it properly but I understood and enjoyed it. Some will say it is cheesy, but good super hero films started out as cheesy and this is just a modern super hero film with the old element added that makes it great. Cannot wait for The Avengers and wish the sequel would get the go ahead. Expand
JonathanCOct 8, 2011
If you are not a comic book lover, or 12 years of age, you may find the start of this movie a little warn, old hat and "not a movie for you". However if you continue watching, the movie finally opens up into a little sun, stops taking itselfIf you are not a comic book lover, or 12 years of age, you may find the start of this movie a little warn, old hat and "not a movie for you". However if you continue watching, the movie finally opens up into a little sun, stops taking itself too seriously and so begins an enjoyable movie. Once a few jokes were cracked, you knew you were in light hearted adventure territory and that served well for the rest of the movie. Acting was good, 3D city and animation was ok but I thought a little too cliche and not really that inventive. However as a piece of entertainment, absolutely fun for the whole family and much better than I anticipated. Expand
Mando44646May 17, 2011
Great movie. Great balancing of action and comedy. It definitely is as good as Iron Man. Marvel proves once again that they are the only ones who can treat their properties the way they deserve. I wish there had been less Earth and moreGreat movie. Great balancing of action and comedy. It definitely is as good as Iron Man. Marvel proves once again that they are the only ones who can treat their properties the way they deserve. I wish there had been less Earth and more Asgard but overall quite a good and enjoyable movie. Expand
rrangerMay 21, 2011
I totally enjoyed the movie and it's better seen at a Theater to get the full effects & the sound. The movie showed two story lines...one of Asgard and how Thor & Loki came to be & their relationship with their father Odin, and a story onI totally enjoyed the movie and it's better seen at a Theater to get the full effects & the sound. The movie showed two story lines...one of Asgard and how Thor & Loki came to be & their relationship with their father Odin, and a story on how Thor was discovered when he was on Earth, with a love story thrown in between. The actor who portrayed Thor was perfect for the part, and so was his love interest - Natalie Portman. I just think it was a good movie to watch for entertainment...you won't be disappointed, especially if you grew up reading comics about Marvel super heroes. I hope Disney does more movies on Marvel's list of super heroes that they gained with their purchased of the Marvel company. Expand
RedMoonApr 30, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The one thing I enjoyed most of this film was the amount of work that was put into it also Chris Hemsworth which play the main role of "Thor" was the best chosen actor for this film. However the storyline started to lack quit a bit nearing the end...the so called death of his brother "Loki" wasn't much of a tragedy after been seen in the "avengers". But over all the film was done quite well and enjoyed it very much. I give this film an 8 well done. Expand
PulseEnderNov 24, 2012
Thor is the last movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline right before The Avengers. Chris Hemsworth plays this truly tragic hero as he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. Plot: Thor Odinson is the son of Odin theThor is the last movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline right before The Avengers. Chris Hemsworth plays this truly tragic hero as he learns that with great power comes great responsibility. Plot: Thor Odinson is the son of Odin the allfather (Anthony Hopkins). Odin is the ruler of Asgard which oversees the 9 realms. Long ago the realm of Jotunheim had been engaged in a long war with Asgard in which Odin led his army to victory over the native Frost Giants and steals their source of power. However, Odin is about to name Thor King of Asgard when the Frost Giants attempt to take it back going against the terms of their truce. Odin turns a blind eye while Thor declares war but isn't taken seriously for he is not yet King. Foolishly, Thor travels with his friends and his brother into the realm of Jotunheim in an attempt to eliminate them. After a near death experience Odin bails Thor out but Laufey, leader of the Frost Giants declare war on Asgard. As a punishment for Thor's arrogance, Odin banish's Thor to the realm of Earth and strips him of his supernatural powers. Here, Thor meets a team of meterologists who attempt to help him out as he is misunderstood as the war rages between Asgard and Jotunheim. My opinion: This is a great movie that proves that you don't know what you have until it is taken away. Chris Hemsworth plays the awkwardest part of the movie very successfully as the locales of Earth have trouble communicating with him. If you are interested in Viking mythology or are into conspiracy theorys, or even interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then I would reccomend this movie. Expand