- Starring: Mitch Pileggi, Lucy Lawless, Leighton Meester
- Summary: The WB's modern remake on the Tarzan story comes from Eric Kripke (who would go on to create the far more successful Supernatural a few years later) and stars Calvin Klein model-turned-actor Travis Fimmel in the lead role. Jane is an NYPD cop, played by Sarah Wayne Callies.
- Genre(s): Drama, Action & Adventure
- Creator: Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Show Type: Ended
- Season 1 premiere date: Oct 5, 2003
- Episode Length: 60
- Air Time: 09:00 PM
- More Details and Credits »
Their escapist capers make for pretty but mindless TV. [5 Oct 2003, p.47]
The real strain is in trying to turn Tarzan into a crime fighter like Spider-Man, complete with the gravity-defying leaps and whoosh-wham special effects. [4 Oct 2003, p.E6]
Tarzan isn't as horrifyingly awful as the WB's recent remake of another cultural icon, "The Lone Ranger," but few things are. Even so, it's asking a lot even to wait around [for Lucy] Lawless to show up...Fact is, this "Tarzan" series dies on the vine.
It's hard to imagine anyone over the age of 15 being able to watch this series with a straight face after seeing Tarzan go sniffing through Midtown like a bloodhound, but maybe that's the audience the WB is after. As we said, Fimmel does have great pecs. [3 Oct 2003, p.B47]
Me critic. You stink. [3 Oct 2003, p.3]