8.3

1. Dec 7, 2020
    The biggest dragon quest. Unfortunaly the game just falls short to its excelent folow up games dq8,9 and 11. Characters dont at all develop and so ypu dont care about them. There is no voice acting and the soundtrack sucks. The main evil guy kinda shows up near the end and so you dont feel any pressure to defeat him.
  2. Jun 23, 2020
    Just too hard and a time waster. This type of jrpg is lost in time and it was fun in the past but now I didn’t enjoy it.
  3. May 2, 2020
    No, this...this is a very awful game. Awful game. I don't think I have ever played a game nearly this depressing. Not because of the story, but because it's just a dull, boring, slog of a game.
  4. Apr 24, 2020
    El juego empieza muy lento sin dar mucho a cambio por la paciencia, si bien las historias pueden ser interesantes no dejan de ser muy simples y al tener poca variedad en los npc se vuelve un constante deja vu , los personajes principales están bien diseñados pero se mueven en un mundo cansino y repetitivo que no premia la exploración mas allá de unos cofres, las sagas Final Fantasy desdeEl juego empieza muy lento sin dar mucho a cambio por la paciencia, si bien las historias pueden ser interesantes no dejan de ser muy simples y al tener poca variedad en los npc se vuelve un constante deja vu , los personajes principales están bien diseñados pero se mueven en un mundo cansino y repetitivo que no premia la exploración mas allá de unos cofres, las sagas Final Fantasy desde el VII hasta el IX lograron mucho más en la generación anterior. solo quería terminarlo luego e ir por otro juego.
    el ir repitiendo la mecánica de desbloquear islas no fue suficiente para mí, tal ves fue un buen juego pero en ps2 y con muchos menos años en el cuerpo.
  5. Sep 6, 2019
    An island-hopping adventure spanning space and time, Dragon Quest VII is a JRPG masterpiece. If you played the PlayStation version back in the day, this is as perfect a remake as you could ask for, with beautiful 3D graphics, a smartly streamlined opening, and lots of welcome quality-of-life updates. And if this is your first time in Estard, you're in for a wonderful surprise — greatAn island-hopping adventure spanning space and time, Dragon Quest VII is a JRPG masterpiece. If you played the PlayStation version back in the day, this is as perfect a remake as you could ask for, with beautiful 3D graphics, a smartly streamlined opening, and lots of welcome quality-of-life updates. And if this is your first time in Estard, you're in for a wonderful surprise — great writing, a fun class system, lovely animations and a stellar soundtrack make for a fully engrossing adventure throughout. It's a massive game, but don't let that scare you off; with short story-style pacing and a huge variety of settings, speech patterns, and scenarios, it feels less like an epic tome and more like a shelfful of storybooks stuffed into a 3DS cart. This is an absolute pleasure, and a must-play for RPG fans. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2017
    This was my first Dragon Quest so I wouldn't know how it compares to other dragon quest games, but I've played hundreds of RPG games before, and completed every final fantasy game there is, which is my favorite RPG saga.
    Well, getting to the point, this was a completely different experience from other rpgs i've played, and loved it, it has a special charm that I cant quite explain with words, but know this.
    This is an RPG adventure you shouldn't miss, even if you're not an rpg gamer.
  7. Apr 29, 2017
    This is the first time I played this adventure, I didn't play the PlayStation version of it, so I can't compare them in this review. That aside, I have to say this is a great game, a game any JRPG fan should play, it has so classic yet immortal mechanics, it feels like an enhanced classic game, but a good one. The amount of different mini-stories you go through is huge, the game is veryThis is the first time I played this adventure, I didn't play the PlayStation version of it, so I can't compare them in this review. That aside, I have to say this is a great game, a game any JRPG fan should play, it has so classic yet immortal mechanics, it feels like an enhanced classic game, but a good one. The amount of different mini-stories you go through is huge, the game is very long, and it also gives you a lot of freedom with your characters. You can build them so many ways, teaching them many abilities for battle with the vocation mechanics. I really like that some of the mini-stories of each island can have a tragic ending, it's not always the happy ending you expect. The game is a bit too easy at the beginning, and it can get repetitive if you are not a fan of JRPGs, but as I said previously, any fan of this kind of game will love it. Expand
  8. Mar 22, 2017
    very good RPG, i never played a Dragon Quest Title before this, and it is a very good game, but it have moments of frustration because you have to be seeking a character, lookin fot it once and once again, it is in a house, later in another house an d later in another house, this is no fun, and it took hours.
  9. Mar 14, 2017
    As a fan of this series I was stoked to see that one of the few games in the series I have not played was getting a remake for the 3ds. When I first got it I was right at home, it was that same dragon quest feel that I knew and loved. I noticed that the game took longer to get going but it was still fun. And this fun keep going. But by the 4th or 5th island I began to notice something. IAs a fan of this series I was stoked to see that one of the few games in the series I have not played was getting a remake for the 3ds. When I first got it I was right at home, it was that same dragon quest feel that I knew and loved. I noticed that the game took longer to get going but it was still fun. And this fun keep going. But by the 4th or 5th island I began to notice something. I am doing to exact same thing every single time. Every single island plays out the exact same way, and whenever you beat it you go back and visit it in the present and do the exact same thing you did in the last one. It just goes on and on and is so repetitive that I couldn't play it anymore. I'm sorry I wanted to like this game but just couldn't because of how bored I got. If you are looking into getting into the series just play DQ8. That game is fantastic and also received a 3ds remake. Expand
  10. Mar 4, 2017
    I liked the game but it really does drag on. The menu can be really tedious to navigate, too. It also takes a while for the story to pick. Still, it's an enjoyable experience to go through.
  11. Feb 20, 2017
    The lost game in Europe. This DQ is fantastic, it's very classic and the length is huge. It's an outstanding remake. The graphics are very nice and but we don't have orchestral ost. **** not one of the best games in the saga in my opinion but it's very interesting and the game has all the DQ soul.
  12. Jan 21, 2017
    I have managed to get every game in the collection and this one is a favorite of mine. It is extensive and at present I have put almost 300 hours into the game play and have not reached the end of the game. It is well worth the money and time to invest in, and play. You can find a complete walk through guide on gamefaqs. And youtube has links that you can use to show you what you need toI have managed to get every game in the collection and this one is a favorite of mine. It is extensive and at present I have put almost 300 hours into the game play and have not reached the end of the game. It is well worth the money and time to invest in, and play. You can find a complete walk through guide on gamefaqs. And youtube has links that you can use to show you what you need to do. Search for Twist Highspirits, to find the complete game play and visual guide to enjoy this wonderful fun filled game. I strongly suggest if you enjoy the Dragon Quest games. That you purchase all 6 games for the 3DS, they are all great role playing games and full of many, many hours of fighting, side questing and other amazing activities. The post games are just as long and amazing as the main story line. And usually open up unique places, items and equipment that will make your game play much easier. The time spent playing all these games are very fulfilling and guarantee'd to keep you delving deeper into each quest that comes your way. Expand
  13. Dec 26, 2016
    I just finished DragonQuest VII, and I have to say it is a good, but flawed game. DragonQuest VII shines in the storytelling, and exploration departments. The flaws come in the form of easy fights, grinding, and everything being drawn out.

You start the game out as a young boy living on the only island in the whole world. Eventually you discover that there used to be other islands, but they've all been wiped out by the Demon King in the past. The game involves traveling back in time to restore those lost islands to the present. On each island in the past there is a village, and each village has a problem that will wipe the island out if not solved by the player. Once each island is saved in the past you can travel to the present to explore the island a second time. It is a lot of fun seeing just how your actions in the past effect the present. These time traveling storytelling elements are by far the best part of the game.

Exploration comes in the form of seeking out mini-medals, looking for chests, playing games at the casino and building a monster village.

There is a job system in DragonQuest VII, but it never lives up to it's full potential due to the easy fights. Enemies go down in a single turn. I found myself just setting my party to "show no mercy" hitting A, and then watching as my computer controlled allies made short work of enemies. In a good JRPG you have to fight carefully during the smaller fights, or else you won't have enough HP and MP left over to tackle the dungeon boss. This game lacks that.

The job system is further hampered by the fact that you have to grind to level up your job classes. Don't get me wrong I don't mind grinding, but there is such a thing as too much grinding. It takes three times longer to level up job classes in this game as other JRPGS, with a job system.

Everything in DQVII just takes too long. Instead of jumping aboard a boat, you are forced to watch as your party slowly walks on deck, and the boat slowly takes off for thirty seconds. Instead of using a key to open a door, you are forced to travel to the castle town, ask the king for permission to open said door, and then travel back to open said door. During this time no random battles are encountered. You are just forced to walk for no other reason than to take up time. DQVII is littered with little moments like these. They make the game about 30 hours too long, and are really annoying.

Overall DQVII is a good game, but it is only for hardcore fans of the series. DragonQuests 8 and 9 are miles ahead of this entry in the series. Play those first.
  14. Dec 17, 2016
    I played the uglier original on the Sony PlayStation. At its core, the game was great, but the severe lack of polish got in the way, and probably by the time I got 30 hours in, I was bored and quit playing. I've been itching to replay the game, and was really pleased to find out it got a fresh coat of paint. The remake really did make some substantial improvements. DQVII feels a lotI played the uglier original on the Sony PlayStation. At its core, the game was great, but the severe lack of polish got in the way, and probably by the time I got 30 hours in, I was bored and quit playing. I've been itching to replay the game, and was really pleased to find out it got a fresh coat of paint. The remake really did make some substantial improvements. DQVII feels a lot more like DQVIII in both look and gameplay style. It feels like they streamlined the game a bit, so the progression doesn't feel nearly as slow as the original. The dialog has also been greatly improved.

I must say... this is a very worthy game, and I highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of old-school console RPGs.
  15. Dec 9, 2016
    Played it recently, reached Falrod, but couldn't finish it. It just SOOO BORING. The story is boring. Cutscenes and dialogues are too long and boring. Battles are boring and with the best available equipment and proper tactics set, they are just autobattles. Also the targeting system is just stupid. Monsters are randomly divided into groups, so often you won't even know which monster willPlayed it recently, reached Falrod, but couldn't finish it. It just SOOO BORING. The story is boring. Cutscenes and dialogues are too long and boring. Battles are boring and with the best available equipment and proper tactics set, they are just autobattles. Also the targeting system is just stupid. Monsters are randomly divided into groups, so often you won't even know which monster will be attacked. It's hard to use any strategies with this. The characters are awful. I've played a lot of RPGs and Prince Kiefer and Maribel are just the worst I've ever seen. I hated them and didn't want to have anything with them. I was so disappointed, when I was forced to include them in my team. Graphic is pretty good, but it looks that the devs didn't know how to use LODs or just couldn't so very often trees and other objects will just appear right before you eyes. For a remake made specifically for 3DS this looks bad. Also there are only several NPC models, so you will quickly see a lot of generic characters you won't even want to speak too. Dragon Quest VII was my first game of the series and I think it will be the last one. It's just too boring for me. I've read that the DQ VIII is much better so I will give it a chance, but I'm afraid I will be disappointed. Better think twice before buying this game. If you haven't play any DQ before and don't feel sentiment towards the series you can get to the point where you will think, that you just lost precious hours of your life for a game that's not entertaining at all. Don't make my mistake. Expand
  16. Nov 24, 2016
    Yet another famous PS1 exclusive makes it's way to a Nintendo console, tail between it's legs, and is finally ready to be played by real gamers.

There are far more improvements to this title than superior hardware, however. The story, although still incredibly tedious, has been improved to the point that won't make you fall asleep after the first hour.
  17. Oct 13, 2016
    My first dragon quest game. I have put over 50 hours into it now and I love it. Great story, which is just grand in terms of scope and time-line and sometimes very touching. Good translation and writing. Good graphics for a 3D 3DS game. Even the mini game, like the casino is very fun. Vocations are also a blast.

The only con I can think of is close to linear storyline, no side quests,

The only con I can think of is close to linear storyline, no side quests, frame skipping in 3D and the grinding. Sometimes you feel like the dungeons are designed just for grinding and to make the story longer.
  18. Oct 1, 2016
    its been a while since dragon quest vii 3ds remake has been anouced in america , just got it and in its own right, its good , wont bother a true gamer unless your being a nitpick about the camera or caparing it to orginal remember its a remake and a good one noneless
  19. Sep 28, 2016
    Dragon Quest VII is a game that greatly overstays it's welcome. There is so much padded back and forth questing it felt at times like I was playing an MMO. There are cut-scenes and story bits that continue to hit you over the head with ideas that are just completely unnecessary. There have been far too many times where I am actually shouting at the game "I GET IT." at it's attempts toDragon Quest VII is a game that greatly overstays it's welcome. There is so much padded back and forth questing it felt at times like I was playing an MMO. There are cut-scenes and story bits that continue to hit you over the head with ideas that are just completely unnecessary. There have been far too many times where I am actually shouting at the game "I GET IT." at it's attempts to "hint" at plot developments. Even the popular RPG trope of grinding is padded out. Halfway through the game items start costing several thousand gold, but one is lucky to walk away from a fight with a hundred gold. But you can't spend TOO much time grinding for the gold, or else you will out level the area and no longer be able to rank up in vocations. The story is good, but it spends so much time getting around to it that it becomes tiresome. I never felt this worn down by an RPG in my life. Not even Bravely Default got this repetitive and I completed all of it's endings. It takes so long to get to major game mechanics (I am looking at YOU Monster Meadows) that they just feel like more work on an already full inbox. I wanted to love you DQ7, I really did. But I can't. But I can't hate you either. Expand
  20. Sep 25, 2016
    Please note that the most positive reviews of this 150+ hours-long game all come only a few days after its street release. Do not trust any review that does not feature at least sir Mervyn in screenshots. Most testers didn't go past the 20 hours mark... This game is not good. This is not a classic. Even for its time, it was lacking and had been surpassed graphically, story-wise andPlease note that the most positive reviews of this 150+ hours-long game all come only a few days after its street release. Do not trust any review that does not feature at least sir Mervyn in screenshots. Most testers didn't go past the 20 hours mark... This game is not good. This is not a classic. Even for its time, it was lacking and had been surpassed graphically, story-wise and gameplay-wise. It's not simply austere and hardcore. In fact, it's neither of that. It's sketchy in its structure, asinine in its storytelling, clichéed even with regards to the standards earlier DQ set for the genre. Its sheer length is to be blamed on its painstakingly slow pace, back and forth traveling through samey dungeons. The execution on 3DS is poor. The menus and navigation therein are needlessly cumbersome and barebone. Characters aren't relatable or likeable, they are mostly one-dimensional and hardly get any exposure. NPC are no-face, recycled assets, even those that "matter" in the storyline (there's nothing of significance in the story). It doesn't all come together in the end. It's just bad and the gameplay's not even fun or challenging. Even if you want to check it out for yourself, please, spare yourself the boredom, and invest both time and money in a more modern, more game-like experience. Look out for Dragon Quest 8 in 2017 instead, there's a true masterpiece. Expand
  21. Sep 23, 2016
    Classic. Sure, things have changed: music has been arranged a bit, graphics look lot better to boot even with 3D, controls are way smoother to control and ability to fight enemies are a lot more liberal. But NOTHING can change the fact that it has been, and always will be, one of the most challenging, everlasting, mind blowing, and still will give you the best RPG experience for a long time!
  22. Sep 23, 2016
    This is one of the best RPG games I have ever played. I have read many reviews that said the opening act was a long, drawn-out affair that would try your patience and potentially turn you against a great game. In my opinion, these reviews could not be farther from the truth.

The opening act is, simply put, a masterpiece of design that draws you into the story while hinting at the immense scope of the task laid out before you: "explore". From the beginning, Dragon Quest VII invites you to experience the immense world it has built and revel in the choices, and emotions, of the characters involved.

As you are experiencing all that this game has to offer, it teases you with little hints about how -- and why -- the world has ended up in this state.

By the time that you unlock the main game customization options, you have gained and lost main characters, explored new lands, traveled backwards and forwards through time, and -- in general -- touched on almost every RPG trope in existence. And, if you are anything like me, you won't care. The game is amazing in its pacing, scope, humor, satire, and general overarching themes.

It is only as you hit the 30, 40, and 50 hour marks in this game and realize that you've barely scratched the surface that the true experience begins. This isn't just about exploring the world, this is about saving it.

I can't recommend this game enough, if you have the time and energy to devote to it. A single play-through, while being a very time-consuming task, is also one of the most immensely rewarding experiences that I have had for a game in a very long time.
  23. Sep 19, 2016
    If you are a fan of the Dragon Quest games you will not be disappointed but you must be patient. Because for the first few hours you must do errands instead of battles. Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS is a great looking remake and if you never played it give it a trey.
  24. Sep 19, 2016
    This game is about as old school as you can get these days, and I absolutely love it. The game play is easy yet super rewarding. This is a game that we will be playing for months and months.
  25. Sep 18, 2016
    The best JRPG on 3DS. The storyline is amazing, the music is amazing. There is so much good about this game. Everyone who loves jrpgs needs to buy this game. With over 100 hours of gameplay you are definitely getting your money's worth.
  26. Sep 18, 2016
    Wow. That's the first thing that comes to mind after 5-6 hours in Dragon Quest VII. In an age where microwaves and social media rule, games requiring even a modicum of patience are thinning by the year. But Dragon Quest VII is all the better for it. Great stories require great preparation and shouldn't be rushed, and the pace at which this story unfolds is more in line with greatWow. That's the first thing that comes to mind after 5-6 hours in Dragon Quest VII. In an age where microwaves and social media rule, games requiring even a modicum of patience are thinning by the year. But Dragon Quest VII is all the better for it. Great stories require great preparation and shouldn't be rushed, and the pace at which this story unfolds is more in line with great literature than it is modern video games. It takes about 2 hours before you truly set out on your adventure and are battling monsters, but once you are the game just swallows you up whole. It's incredibly addictive and hard to put down. Hence why I'm up writing about it at 11pm rather than getting sleep for work tomorrow morning ;) Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2016
    This is the ultimate JRPG. The Dragon Quest series always stayed true to its roots and this game is no different. This game is a massive adventure that combines all the best elements of the Dragon Quest series. The graphics are a nice update to the original, random battles no longer occur, the job system has a lot of depth and has been expanded on from the PS1 game. If you likeThis is the ultimate JRPG. The Dragon Quest series always stayed true to its roots and this game is no different. This game is a massive adventure that combines all the best elements of the Dragon Quest series. The graphics are a nice update to the original, random battles no longer occur, the job system has a lot of depth and has been expanded on from the PS1 game. If you like traditional JRPGs, look no further. Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2016
    My first real JRPG was dragon quest 9 on nintendo DS years ago. It made me fall in love with the genre instantly.
    I bought this game on launch day, and I have only played a little over five hours. I read a lot about how the start was slow and long, but I tend to disagree. There was not a time where I felt like I was doing anything pointless. No grinding for hours to beat the first boss, no crazy amount of equipment to buy to be able to get through the first monsters, etc. So far, I've already stepped on a few islands and I think the pacing for now is great. The story is also well written. I am baffled by the longevity of the storyline. At some points, I almost feel like I am reading a book.
    With the complex story and the morals of it, I am easily hooked to it and I don't feel the need to skip the text.
    I never finished the whole dragon quest 9 game. I know this one is about 100 hours and maybe I won't ever finish it. But, for now, I love the game and I recommend it to anyone that likes the genre.
  29. Sep 17, 2016
    If you look up the word "RPG", Dragon Quest VII is right next to it. This is one of the pillars of the role-playing game catalog. You will easily get over 100 hours of gameplay out of a "rush" story mode session and the game runs exceptionally well on the best handheld on the market, by the best gaming company on the planet.
  30. Sep 17, 2016
    If you're looking for a fully fleshed out swords and magic style traditional RPG with an interesting story-line and non gimmicky controls, look no further. This game is awesome! I honestly have no complaints, this game is everything I wanted it to be.
  31. Sep 16, 2016
    This is a remake of Dragon Quest VII on the PS1, one of the best in the series. For those unfamiliar with the series, Dragon Quest is one of the "big two" JRPG series, alongside Final Fantasy, but never had much success outside of Japan. The original DQVII was released very late on the PS1 life, and had bad outdated graphics and trashy controls. This made people avoid the title in favourThis is a remake of Dragon Quest VII on the PS1, one of the best in the series. For those unfamiliar with the series, Dragon Quest is one of the "big two" JRPG series, alongside Final Fantasy, but never had much success outside of Japan. The original DQVII was released very late on the PS1 life, and had bad outdated graphics and trashy controls. This made people avoid the title in favour of other rpgs, and in general DQVII was ignored by most. And that is a pity.

Fast forward to 2016, and we can play the remake in the West, at last. And it is totally worth it: Great graphics, both in terms of engine and in terms of art style, great music, control improvements, gameplay improvements. The way it was meant to be played.

If you have played a DQ game before, you know what to expect: Great story, charming characters, a lighthearted mood, tons of playtime and some grinding. The battles are the typical archaic JRPG battles, but for some reason they feel fresh and fast paced on this remake, so they won't bother you that much.

I understand that the lower ratings come from people who don't like those archaic elements, and believe me, i hate those too, but for some reason i am always making an exception for Dragon Quest games: The typical jrpg battles are part of their appeal.

One of the true gems on the 3DS, and a reason to own the console (at least until they port the game on other platforms).

I am surprised at the relative low metascore. This game deserves more. So i am giving it a 10, and a recommendation if you own a 3DS and like RPGs. Don't miss this.
  32. Sep 16, 2016

Generally favorable reviews - based on 56 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 6, 2017
    Remake of the seventh part from cult series is excellent from both the technological and gaming point of view even that all issues related to the age of game couldn’t be removed. Yet it is a beautiful adventure for dozens of hours.
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 12, 2016
    The best kind of remake – it show the game the way you remember it, not the way it really was. [12/2016, p.76]
  3. Nov 23, 2016
    One of the most beloved RPGs of all time receives a new skin and elements. Although we can find some things a little bit old DQ still is a really nice rpg which is now portable.