8.8

1. Dec 14, 2018
    Distinctly inferior to the fan-created AM2R, this is a decent effort but the weakest entry to the 2D Metroid series since the original Metroid 2.

The linear design stifles exploration, and the early Scan Pulse ability relegates item collection to backtracking busywork and puzzle-solving. The limited enemy set quickly grows repetitive (palette-swapped stronger versions of early enemies in 2017?). Many items are locked behind secret game mechanics, and in this game there are no Etecoons or Dachoras to teach you the ropes.

Bosses will take several tries to beat; they aren't hard after you've learned how to fight them, but they'll kill you in just a few hits, and you need to learn how to telegraph their attacks the hard way. "Fortunately," you can look forward to fighting most of the bosses several times, so those skills you've learned won't go to waste, but these fights are long and get monotonous by the third or fourth time. There's some effort with the early Metroids, especially Beta and Gamma, to at least vary the rooms you fight them in, but the Zetas are basically all the same and the Omega battles are identical.

If you adore 2D Metroid games and eagerly snatch up anything with the name, you won't have a bad time here. If you really just want to experience a modern presentation of Metroid 2, hunt down AM2R, which is better in basically every way--better exploration, more fun (but still difficult) bosses, less repetition, even better music. Nintendo should be embarrassed that with all their resources, they couldn't do better than this.
  2. Oct 22, 2017
    Although I miss seeing a metriod metroidvania game I come to find indie developers did the genre better. For on the game is way to linear, all the enemies feel the same, they all charge at you, the controls are awful especially later on in the game, and finally all the bosses are dodge and QTE. After my journey was done, I felt nothing, to me this is an average game and I will be waitingAlthough I miss seeing a metriod metroidvania game I come to find indie developers did the genre better. For on the game is way to linear, all the enemies feel the same, they all charge at you, the controls are awful especially later on in the game, and finally all the bosses are dodge and QTE. After my journey was done, I felt nothing, to me this is an average game and I will be waiting for Ori and the blind forest. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2017
    So i played the game and i already have some bad things i rly dont see anybody mention at all,
    the controlls might be okay for some, but they are rly nothing for me, the free aim feels clunky to me, and the fact that i have to stop, and aim instead of runing and shooting things that are in front of me, srsly, and if somebody says to me you can by using the move button, ... thats not helping me. am2r might not have the flashy grafics, but there i could change everything to my liking. why is this still a problem... i would like free aiming somewhere where i can use it at my choosing,
    next, the aion abilitys, they are okay, but again, because i cant swap buttons, i used them when i didnt want to, all the time. i play other games, and that rapidly changing, so i play destiny2, while waiting there i play metroid, when im not doing that i play other games, and this just turns me down so much...
    the next negative thing is this forced overuse of the counter, the dumb ass counter, every thing jumps at me and forces me to stop, taking the flow of the game out, all the time, i cant move fluidly in the game, because the game wants me to stop, and use the friking free aim, or the counter, both of which i dont like,, at all. if i could change controlls, i would banish both ( maybe not entirely) on buttons i dont press, aion abilitys are a cool idea, and a counter to frustration, even if i am rly not fond of the timestop, just because it replaces the speed booster, which i hope is in the next one, if there is one. also why do i need to keep pressing the spiderball to have it active? that hurt my hands, am2r did it so mcuh better,one press, you are ready to go, another you are free, easy.
    and at last
    this game basicly takes speedrunning, ( the thing that kept metroid alive for all its livetime, and killed it, why return those little rly rly hard to lern things that make the game so interesting.. i dont understand, AT ALL why they wont acknollege speedrunning, and the things tha make it so awesome, the pure skill a player can show of to make amazing plays. gone, all gone.
    and it breaks my heart to see that nintendo and those new developers dont understand what kept metroid alive. truly saddening

okay that was my bit of bad, the good of the game, is the rest of the game, i rly liked the game in general, everything from sounds to animations ( maybe not samus thin ass armor, it could look a bit more robust)
    the sounds and animations from the morphball, or the spiderball rly are something you dont expect, but you welcome them,
    the game feels like a 2d prime game, excellent,
    the 3d is amazing, ( sadly my 3ds s 3d sucks so much that i cant use it, but i saw and played it a bit in 3d and saw it on new 3ds, its good)
    the game is hard as nails, and has even some respawn points, which help you to not feel crushed or annyoed after you died, so you dont need to walk all the way back, or defeat another gauntlet of bosses and enemys,

so all in all, the game is good, the controlls and the lacking option to change those ruined the experience to some degree, the forced counter and free aim did even more damage, and now i am already at a 7 out of 10, sad but i think its justified.

things todo better next time,
    let me change controlls,
    dont make me break the gameflow to the counter and you must stand still to aim crap, and you get a 9-10 depending if there are any other bad things, ( dont think it so far)

if you say you dont care about controlls and stuff, then this might be a 8-9 out of 10 for you.

for now, i did enjoy am2r a little better, but thats only due to the free controlls, and jesus the option to not play it on the tiny 3ds, but that. a controller would do wonders
  4. Sep 15, 2017
    No doubt a decent attempt at bringing back a franchise from near death, but I feel it's super overrated. People who claim to be "Metroid Veterans" or something of the sort seem to be suffering from memory loss as this game has some major flaws and tiny issues that snowball effect, hard.

Lets get down to it, but first some praise. The visuals despite some areas look like they're smeared in Vaseline are good for 3DS standards, my only issue being the previously stated Vaseline effect and the terrible visual distinction of missile and plasma shot. The music is also very well done while a bit shaky in tone the pieces hold on their own. The explore-able environments are well just that but at times lack proper visual direction.

On to the nitty gritty, the controls. They are ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS sorry I had to emphasize how bad they are. Let me give you some context, on a 3DS what is the fastest face button you can push if you naturally rest your thumb close to the hinge. If you guessed A or X you are correct, this game how ever is designed so the jump and shoot are B and Y. I know, and your next line will be if you don't own the game "but it can't be that bad, you could possibly remap them right?".... NOPE you're forced to use this control scheme. Oh and did I mention that quick morph ball isn't a button... you have to touch the touch screen to enter morph ball mode quickly, WHY?????????? That's really bad especially since you might want to use the spider-ball to get around a lot. Oh don't even get me started on 'Free-Aim', so let me get this straight I'm forced to stop all forward motion to shoot an enemy in the air, this would've been fine if we had the option of ye-olde Aim-Lock but NOPE. Speaking of stopping all forward motion, X button is the 'Melee attack' and this game over uses and makes it absolutely mandatory if you want to clear a room of enemies in a timely manner. Which means waiting for them to attack and cause a flashy white animation, thwacking them with the Melee attack, then killing them in less than 17 billion shots if you were not to do so. The Aeon abilities are Ok but really they take precedent over a movement option as a face button being that it's using A. Also wall jumping sucks, not much say there that's kind of the trend with Yoshio Sakamoto (The master of under powering Samus).

The game all and all is functional and decent if you lower your brains skepticism sensors down.

TL;DR
    Overrated extremely flawed game that is by no means bad but could be WAAAAY BETTER.
  5. Sep 25, 2017
    Some serious bullcrap here in the dlc department. You need 4 amiibos to unlock everything... For those who like to 100% games... And there are a lot of us who are like that... This is a real bummer. Whatever happened to goodies like this being hidden in the game for devoted players to unlock through skill and determination? Now you just throw real life money down without lifting any inSome serious bullcrap here in the dlc department. You need 4 amiibos to unlock everything... For those who like to 100% games... And there are a lot of us who are like that... This is a real bummer. Whatever happened to goodies like this being hidden in the game for devoted players to unlock through skill and determination? Now you just throw real life money down without lifting any in game fingers to get it done? LAME!

40$ game right? If you're lucky you will still be spending slightly more money on those 4 amiibos compared to the actual price of the freakin game. Odds are you wont get that lucky and you will be spending close to 50 bucks to 100 bucks depending on simply just how lucky you are... Considering that amiibos can be hard to find and rare things often have bullcrap high prices for what they are...

There's my proof in case any nintendo hard on **** suckers want to deny actual FACTS...

I'm deducting 2 points right off the bat because this is str8 up horse ****... I would be deducting way freaking more if it was on the level of destiny 2 pay to win micro transactions or some crap which can cost players over thousands of dollars but since that's not the case... I'm only deducting 2 points instead of like 5 lol.

Some bad controls in some parts and a ability that reveals secrets to the player really hurts this game. Minus another point... No game is perfect and this definitely keeps the game from any where close to perfection so there goes another point.

AM2R is free and craps on this game in terms of being a true metroid experience and not screwing you over on the price... so I'm sorry folks... This isn't nintendo bringing metroid back even if it is a massive step up from FF and Other M which I would give about a 2 or 3 out of 10 haha. That being said though... It's not good enough... I would totally recommend the game but I can't defend the corporate cash in business practices. That sort of thing ruins video games. This could have been great but sadly it's in the realm of meh...... Maybe slightly higher than meh lol. But that's it... Wait for a price drop folks and I hope you can bum the amiibos off a friend who was stupid enough to waste a ton of money on products that are not worth their apparently stupid high price tag. That way the full game would actually be worth it's price if you're lucky...

7 out of 10... Minus 2 points for bullcrap business practices that spin in the face of the customer. And minus 1 point because well... No game is perfect and there is always a flaw... Sucks... I wanted to give this a 9 but I can't because of the shady business practices. If it weren't for that it would totally be a 9. Greedy nintendo at it again folks...
  6. Sep 22, 2017
    The least enjoyable Metroid game I've played so far, and I'm still giving a respectable 7, which shows how strong this serie is.

I may be the only one on Earth who actually prefers the original Metroid 2 than this remake. Metroid 2 was amazing, the best Game Boy game ever IMO. The music, especially, was really unique, creepy and memorable. They throw that all away in this remake, the music is rather dull. They even brought on the Norfair music in high-heat areas, which is a really bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun, especially once you get the Screw Attack, but it really feels like a blend of any other 2D Metroid game. It doesn't had anything relevant to the serie at all. Remember the WOW moments you had when you first entered the Wrecked ship Area in Super Metroid ? Or the first time you battled the huge plant-like Boss in Metroid Prime ? You won't get any moments like that in Samus Returns., sadly.

The mechanics are great, the pace is fast, the overall game is good...but it's also incredibly generic and kinda soulless. Once you've done with it, you probably won't remember anything from it. Now be prepared to find my review "unhelpful", cause I'm gonna say it : The truth is I enjoyed Federation Force a lot, really lot more than Samus Returns.
  7. Sep 22, 2017
    Presentation:

The music is unmemorable, meaning I don't remember any of it. However, I do remember what I felt during playing. The music does a nice job of setting a tone and atmosphere. Each track fits its environment well, and drops out when it needs to. It does its job, even if I don't find myself humming the tracks during everyday life. The same can't really be said of the
    Presentation:

The same can't really be said of the sound effects. They feel flimsy, like nothing I'm doing onscreen has any real punch to it.

As for the graphics, I hated the way this game looks. The graphics themselves aren't bad, they just look generic. Samus Returns doesn't do much to set itself apart from other sci-fi games. Other than the the things that are distinctly Metroid, such as Samus and the Metroids themselves, nothing really sticks out except for one or two areas. This is especially saddening when previous Metroid games had such distinctive visual styles. I question why they chose this watered-down 3D style. Games like Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania have proven that the old school graphics still look appealing, and good sprite art is ageless. This generic visual style is most evident in the UI. Navy blue background with glowing sky blue outlines? What is this, Halo? Gimme a break.

Gameplay:

Let's start with the positives. I was surprised how well this game handles movement. Generally I like to play 2D games with a D-pad, and while i wish that was still an option, the circle pad works just fine. Having the map, ammo count, ect. on the bottom screen is also really nice. It saves you the trouble of having to pull up a map screen every few rooms. It honestly makes me question why we never got a Metroid on the DS family earlier. What I don't like, however, is the combat. The melee counter isn't as gimmicky as I was worried it was going to be, but I'm still not a fan. It takes the flow out of combat. Every encounter ends up waiting for them to charge, countering, and mashing shoot until they die. It's not something you can just "not use" either. Enemies now do so much damage and move so quickly that dodging is more of a hassle than its worth, and this game can be very stingy with health drops. Free aim also contributes to this problem. No longer can you just run and gun. You have to stop, line up your shot, then shoot. It slows the game down so much. The older system worked fine. These "improvements' are unnecessary.

Level design is alright, but some of the enemy placement is questionable. I can't count how many times I tried to pull myself up onto a ledge, only to be ambushed and knocked down by an enemy I couldn't see or hit. There were also several times I ran through a door straight into a hazard. That damage is not my fault. That is not good level design.

I also must question the way upgrades were handled in Samus Returns. When I got the ice beam, I was surprised to see that it didn't stack onto my power beam. I know that beams don't stack on each other in the original, but they did upgrade the power beam. I assumed that they just made the power beam a separate beam altogether, a la Prime, but then the wave beam did stack on top of it, and the spazer on top of that. Why? if you were going to have all but one beam upgrade stack, why not all of them? It makes the ice beam only useful against Metroids and the few times you have to jump on frozen enemies, which by the way don't stay frozen near long enough.

But the worst thing in this game is the teleport points. This goes against the very design philosophy of a Metroid game. Backtracking was an intentional design choice in previous games. It highlights how powerful you become since the beginning of the game. Rooms that used to take 3 minutes to get through now only take 1. It reinforces a sense of progress. Samus returns throws that out the window. The worst part is that the map design is so terrible that it makes these teleportation points necessary. It's way to big and way to open. Making it more compact and concise would solve both problems. It's worth mentioning that AM2R had something similar in it's transport pipes. But you only found that place late in the game, and it was well integrated into the world as a water treatment plant. It made it feel like you were using the environment to your advantage. Samus Returns' system is much too obvious and pandering.

In conclusion, this game is a solid replacement for the original Metroid 2, but it's nowhere near the level of quality that Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion are. It goes through the motions of these other games, but fails to grasp why they worked so well in the first place. It's as if the devs played through Super, but didn't analyze it at all. The additions made hurt the core design, and clearly the devs forgot the old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Go play AM2R instead. That game outclasses Samus Returns in every way.
  8. Sep 21, 2017
    Meh.

Why doesn't the ice beam kill anything without so many shots that I get carpal tunnel? That's really annoying. What if I don't want to melee it or use a missle? Also, the 3d aspect is completely wasted, it's a 2d game. It looks kind of blocky and bad because they didn't just go with good 2d graphics. Honestly, I think the graphics on SNES looked better than this. The music
    Meh.

The music isn't atmospheric (or even hardly noticeable at all, really since all you hear is PEW PEW PEW), and the areas don't have names. Oh wait, there's "Area 1" and "Area 2", etc. The game isn't really atmospheric at all, which is arguably a huge part of the Samus niche.

It's also rather linear, forcing you to kill certain Metroids before moving on to the next area.

I wish I could zoom out a little bit, and the controls feel a bit clunky, especially aiming. I'm not a fan of the forced melee mechanic, either. Killing metroids would take 10 times longer without using it.

The game really needs difficulty levels, probably at least 3. An easy one for kids/casual/distracted gamers, a normal one for most people, and a hard for future runs. Why limit the difficulty so much? My niece should be able to play this on easy.

Finally, all the Metroid fights get tedious, they're so similar it's not even funny.

It just feels like they had a low budget.
  9. Jan 9, 2018
    Good:
    - Good use of the touchscreen: players can use it to change weapon types and check their map on the fly
    - Contains very little narration and is very reminiscent of the older Metroid games - Bosses were usually introduced in fun and unique ways - The parry system was a great addition and the interactive cutscenes that you get by parrying metroids and bigger bosses are very cool to
    Good:
    - Bosses were usually introduced in fun and unique ways
    - The parry system was a great addition and the interactive cutscenes that you get by parrying metroids and bigger bosses are very cool to see play out
    - The lock-aim combined with the ability to aim 360 degrees was a much needed improvement that brought the remake’s source material into the modern age
    - Overall, a solid addition to the 3DS library amid Nintendo putting most of their support towards the Switch

- While there is an attempt to add variation to the Metroid fights (elements, move sets, environments, evolutions throughout), the battles can get a little boring once you get used to them
    - The boss fights were fun and intricate most of the time, but most of them were backloaded. When you exclude metroids that you fight repeatably throughout the game, there are only really 4 bosses. In a game that takes about 10 hours to complete, you fight 3 of those bosses in the last 2 hours
    - Progression is pretty intuitive throughout a large majority of the game thanks to hints on the minimap, but there are some instances where they make it extremely difficult to figure out how to continue through an area

Bad:
    - Excluding boss fights, the game pretty much becomes a cakewalk in the later stages. After you get upgrades that allow you to do things like shoot through walls and do infinite jumps, the player really don't have to worry about dying in the over world
    - The ice beam is pretty useless throughout the game and is really only necessary to solve one puzzle and defeat one kind of metroid; players need to use it near the end of the game in a very short sequence
    - There’s not a whole lot of incentive to go back to collect the remainder of upgrades once the story has been completed
  10. Sep 16, 2017
    I am so happy that Nintendo has brought Metroid back to its former glory. Aside from a few flaws like non-remappable controls and somewhat repetitive gameplay (with the metroid fights for example), not to mention some very awkward pacing issues, I can safely say that this game is worth a buy. I still prefer the other Metroid 2 remake made by fans, but I would have to be daft to not see theI am so happy that Nintendo has brought Metroid back to its former glory. Aside from a few flaws like non-remappable controls and somewhat repetitive gameplay (with the metroid fights for example), not to mention some very awkward pacing issues, I can safely say that this game is worth a buy. I still prefer the other Metroid 2 remake made by fans, but I would have to be daft to not see the finer details that help this game stand out from other Metroid titles like Federation Force. Welcome home Samus Aran. See you next mission. Expand
  11. Sep 17, 2017
    the gameplay feels great, but the lack of new mobs and bosses makes the game repetitive. its clearly lazy game design when there is only a hand full of different enemies you can encounter and they just change colour as you progress through the game.
  12. Sep 17, 2017
    Creado únicamente para silenciar a la comunidad que, posterior retiro de AM2R, reclamó el no uso de las licencias de Metroid.
    El juego presenta nuevas mecánicas que cambian por completo la experiencia Metroid 2D, apostando por el disparo libre en 360°, y extirpando de raíz el interés por explorar en busca de mejoras, con el uso del escaner.
    El estilo de combate pobre y repetitivo de
    El estilo de combate pobre y repetitivo de esperar y contraatacar, resta desafió con la mayor parte de los enemigos. SR388 se vuelve un habitat con potencial, pero escaso de jefes o mini jefes que presenten un desafío al jugador, siendo los Metroids , prácticamente, los únicos enemigos a puerta cerrada del titulo.

Nintendo cumplió con la comunidad, dejando mucho que desear.
  13. May 27, 2018
    Not a bad game, but Bosses are so repetitive, normal enemies too, same enemy, different colors.
    Art design and OST are regular, maybe because is a remake from a very basic game.
    I've seen much better Metroidvanias.
  14. Apr 29, 2019
    The game itself is top notch. The controls are spot on and it's not a joke to beat like I thought it would. It's not as good as Super Metroid, but that game was a masterpiece and would be nearly impossible to outdo it. The reason it's not a 10 is because they did something on the level of EA by locking the hardest difficulty behind a $30 amiibo paywall. You also get to play in the fusionThe game itself is top notch. The controls are spot on and it's not a joke to beat like I thought it would. It's not as good as Super Metroid, but that game was a masterpiece and would be nearly impossible to outdo it. The reason it's not a 10 is because they did something on the level of EA by locking the hardest difficulty behind a $30 amiibo paywall. You also get to play in the fusion suit on that difficulty, but why would you charge $30 to allow people to get 2 shot by bosses in the Fusion Suit? Just play Hard Mode while killing yourself if you get to half health or below and save $30. Buy the game, but do NOT buy the amiibo. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 83 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    Metroid: Samus Returns brings to the 3DS a pearl of the genre with all its plus and minus that you can expect, beautifully crafted with time-consuming repetitive gaming. [Issue#279]
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 19, 2017
    I’m not emotionally attached to Metroid series, so for me Samus Returns is just a solid metroidvania game with a bland art style, devoid of the spark of individuality that turned Ori, Apotheon or Hollow Knight into memorable gems. [12/2017, p.45]
  3. Dec 7, 2017
    It definitely overstays its welcome, and it's far from the best in the series, it's been so long since there was a Metroid game that it's nice to see it back here on the 3DS. I feel like they've built strong mechanics, which can hopefully serve a more varied and interesting quest in a future entry to the series, maybe one that DOESN'T involve doing the same fights over and over the entire game. Samus Returns is definitely a step up from the original Metroid 2, but it is unable to touch the heights of both the series and the genre.