7.4

1. Nov 21, 2014
    amazing, this game brings back memories of the gen 3 trio. the exp share is again over powered and makes an unwanted return. alot of the starting trainers seem to have full restores which is a bit ridiculous for the starting area. The music is still awesome, and all the trainers we remember are still here. This game is definitely a must own.
  2. Dec 19, 2014
    Before ORAS, Emerald was the best Pokemon game I have played (haven't played B/W and B2/W2 so can't comment on those). Compared to X and Y, ORAS is better on all levels (except for character customization, I guess). Super Training and Pokemon-amie make a return, which is cool. The soundtrack is miles better than that of X and Y, and the main villains are more appealing than TeamBefore ORAS, Emerald was the best Pokemon game I have played (haven't played B/W and B2/W2 so can't comment on those). Compared to X and Y, ORAS is better on all levels (except for character customization, I guess). Super Training and Pokemon-amie make a return, which is cool. The soundtrack is miles better than that of X and Y, and the main villains are more appealing than Team Flare...although that's not saying much. The "Nav" features are also really neat, especially Dex Nav which makes completing the Pokedex much more interesting. Contest Spectaculars are a good change of pace from battling, and Super Secret Bases will entertain any Animal Crossing fan. For the most part, ORAS does not utilize 3D, except for a select few locations and during battles. Unfortunately, the game's frame rate usually takes a massive plunge if 3D is on during battles. This is probably due to hardware limitations, so I can't really complain too much. HM's still exist, which kinda sucks, but they've been around since the very beginning of the franchise. And at least some of them, like Waterfall, Surf, and Strength are actually useful in battle. Now I was originally going to give ORAS a 9.5/10 because HM's can still get a little annoying, but it seems I can't do that here...Oh well. I'll be lenient and give these games a perfect ten outta ten. Not that it matters, because the score is irrelevant compared to the actual review. Expand
  3. Nov 25, 2014
    This is my favorite Pokemon game of all time. It adds so many features that it might as well be its own generation. Music was great too. The nostalgia from the originals was so great, but anyone who hasn't played the original will still love this.
  4. Mar 5, 2018
    A remake of one of my most played and favourite games of all time. If GameFreak wants to bring an experience comparable to what the original brought, this game should better be very good. And it is. The core game is great. It has, like all other Pokémon games, an excellent battle system, a good story with even more content than the original, tons and tons of side things to do, and greatA remake of one of my most played and favourite games of all time. If GameFreak wants to bring an experience comparable to what the original brought, this game should better be very good. And it is. The core game is great. It has, like all other Pokémon games, an excellent battle system, a good story with even more content than the original, tons and tons of side things to do, and great music overall. The thing is, the original games hold so much nostalgia that I miss playing those... All in all a must-have Pokémon title, especially if you've never played the GBA games before. Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2016
    One of my favourite games as a child in Ruby remade so well when it first came out I played it non-stop until I completed it I haven't played it much recently but it is still a wonderful game and I'm glad it was made.
  6. Dec 10, 2014
    This is a very good remake of the old and nostalgic games. Plus, u have many legendaries and mega evolutions to obtain during the post game. The graphics are absolutely stunning
  7. Nov 28, 2014
    I didn't love the original gen 3 but I love the remake. Quite a bit has changed since the original games on the Game Boy Advanced such as environments. Great game
  8. Jan 10, 2015
    I played the original on the gba and never liked it and when i got this remake i thought il give it a try and i was very happy with i like all the new megas i enjoyed secert bases and the overlook of the world was fantastic to see compared to ruby and sapphire still had a few things that bugged me thought they could of cut down the hm uses to 5 i dont like having a hm slave on my team butI played the original on the gba and never liked it and when i got this remake i thought il give it a try and i was very happy with i like all the new megas i enjoyed secert bases and the overlook of the world was fantastic to see compared to ruby and sapphire still had a few things that bugged me thought they could of cut down the hm uses to 5 i dont like having a hm slave on my team but overall i really enjoyed it now if they would remake red and blue in 3d Expand
  9. Feb 15, 2015
    This game perfectly brings back my fond memories of pokemon emerald. It also improves upon Pokemon X, and steals hours of my life, from running around and collecting badges, to going around and collecting flags from people's bases.
  10. Dec 8, 2014
    Great remake of the original GBA games. Graphics and sound have been updated and some areas are completely different, making it a fresh experience even for veteran players.
  11. Dec 26, 2014
    Pokemon Omega Ruby is a very delightful return to an often-forgotten generation of Pokemon games. The remakes do everything I expected and more. They brought Hoenn back to life. Though it uses the same engine as Pokemon X and Y, this game still seems prettier. It may be nostalgia, or maybe it's the close comfort of the game.
    Speaking of the comfort, this game's world is both large and
    Speaking of the comfort, this game's world is both large and small. The region itself is huge, but the world inside it is very close. Having a dad helps.
    I choose Mudkip, which to me is the best choice, so the game was mildly easy to complete. For those who found X and Y too easy because of the exp. share, it's back here. But you can turn it off, which most certainly is the better way to play.
  12. Mar 7, 2015
    Great game. There are a lot of new features. My favourite is 3D graphics. Some of them are old, but upgraded like PokéNav, now PokéNav Plus. But there are some things that I don't like. First and the most important is the Battle Resort. It was changed to a Battle Maison. I was really sad. Second thing is smaller, but still bad. Safari zone is changed. But game is still one of best PokémonGreat game. There are a lot of new features. My favourite is 3D graphics. Some of them are old, but upgraded like PokéNav, now PokéNav Plus. But there are some things that I don't like. First and the most important is the Battle Resort. It was changed to a Battle Maison. I was really sad. Second thing is smaller, but still bad. Safari zone is changed. But game is still one of best Pokémon games I played. Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2016
    Helpful or not heres my review

I wanna be the very best Like no one ever was To catch them is my real test To train them is my cause I will travel across the land Searching far and wide Teach Pokémon to understand The power that's inside Pokémon (Gotta catch 'em all), it's you and me I know it's my destiny (Pokémon!) Ooh, you're my best friend In a world we must defend
    Helpful or not heres my review

I wanna be the very best
    Like no one ever was
    To catch them is my real test
    To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
    Searching far and wide
    Teach Pokémon to understand
    The power that's inside

Pokémon (Gotta catch 'em all), it's you and me
    I know it's my destiny
    (Pokémon!)
    Ooh, you're my best friend
    In a world we must defend
    Pokémon (Gotta catch 'em all), a heart so true
    Our courage will pull us through
    You teach me, and I'll teach you
    Po-ké-mon
    (Gotta catch 'em all!)
    Gotta catch 'em all!
    Pokémon!
  14. Aug 11, 2018
    The 3ds era was amazing and did wonders to many nintendo series, but specially for pokemon and fire emblem. It brought many gems, and Omega Ruby, fitting for its name, is one of them.

A sweet post-game story. Fixing problems the original Ruby had, pokenav, amie, and so much to do it's one of the best pokemon games up until this point, only surpassed by its sucessors in the following gen.
  15. Feb 10, 2015
    Another very solid entry to the Pokemon franchise. I am always nervous of remakes, there is plenty of room to go wrong. I played Ruby quite a lot and got into the competitive scene with it. I remember a long struggle to breed an HP Fire Metagross - by long I mean months and months. For a competitive player, the game stands as a demonstration of how well Gamefreak has tweaked access toAnother very solid entry to the Pokemon franchise. I am always nervous of remakes, there is plenty of room to go wrong. I played Ruby quite a lot and got into the competitive scene with it. I remember a long struggle to breed an HP Fire Metagross - by long I mean months and months. For a competitive player, the game stands as a demonstration of how well Gamefreak has tweaked access to competitive quality Pokemon. It will still take work to stack you team with flawless breeds and 5IV legendaries, but now it's a somewhat more realistic amount of work. The game itself is no kind of revolution, keeping the mechanics of XY, adding a rough handful of new egg and tutor moves, keeping the same charm of Hoenn from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. The thing is, Pokemon never needs a revolutionary change, just subtle adjustment. The lack of the Battle Frontier is truly heartbreaking, but there are signs in-game that it will make a return in future entries. Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2016
    Pros:
    Its Pokemon.
    They added a language selection. Now I can use Pokemon to help study Japanese.

Cons:
    As a remake you may have sort of played this one before, minus newer features.

Overall:
    Its Pokemon. You already know what you are getting into. Nintendo made yet another quality game while keeping it fresh. 10/10
  17. Jul 4, 2015
    Very fun game to play - I was hesitating between an 8 and a 9, and had to drop it down a bit due to a weak postgame. Well, it's not the weakest postgame (I'm looking at you, Pokemon XY), but it isn't really enough. I did thoroughly enjoy playing through the game though, and I felt that I'd be able to get some decent replayability value from this game. Hmm, I've put around 75 hours intoVery fun game to play - I was hesitating between an 8 and a 9, and had to drop it down a bit due to a weak postgame. Well, it's not the weakest postgame (I'm looking at you, Pokemon XY), but it isn't really enough. I did thoroughly enjoy playing through the game though, and I felt that I'd be able to get some decent replayability value from this game. Hmm, I've put around 75 hours into Omega Ruby so far, and I don't plan on putting too many more until my pokemon-mood arrives again. I guess an improvement for the future would be that the battles occur faster, or with the option of auto-battle, found in a variety of turn based RPGs, such as SMT IV, Etrian Odyssey IV, Demon Gaze, Persona 3 and 4, Fire Emblem Awakening, SMT Strange Journey, and Conception II. Anyways, buy this game if you're a pokemon fan!

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Story: 8/10
    Music: 9/10
    Presentation: 8.5/10
    Length: 8.5/10
    Overall: 8.5/10
  18. Nov 17, 2015
    Impossível admitir que os gráficos e novas aventuras presentes nos games sejam maravilhosos (mesmo sendo uma pequena queda em relação aos games XY), mas a facilidade dos novos games deixou a coisa muito ''sem sal''. Voar para rotas, encurtar a história e até mesmo o esquecido fato de que os remakes anteriores traziam um gadget externo são fatos que me impedem de classificar esses games comImpossível admitir que os gráficos e novas aventuras presentes nos games sejam maravilhosos (mesmo sendo uma pequena queda em relação aos games XY), mas a facilidade dos novos games deixou a coisa muito ''sem sal''. Voar para rotas, encurtar a história e até mesmo o esquecido fato de que os remakes anteriores traziam um gadget externo são fatos que me impedem de classificar esses games com um 10. A Nintendo está perdendo a magia dos Pokémons de evento que conquistou e abusou em DPPtHGSS. Os eventos da IV Gen abriam espaço para novas áreas, histórias e interação, enquanto isso continuou baixo na VI Gen. Inaceitável que boa parte dos lendários dos outros games (Dialga/Palkia, Zekrom/Reshiram...) estejam sendo entregues de forma tão mastigada pelo game sem uma história ou evento dentro do cartucho mesmo. A melhor novidade do game com certeza é a possibilidade de voar pelo continente montado pelo Latios/Latias, isso foi um enorme passo (que precisa ser mantido nas próximas gerações) para uma sensação maior de realidade dentro do jogo. Seria muito bom se expandissem fisicamente o continente, para que essa sensação fosse mais abrangente e realista ainda. Expand
  19. Nov 25, 2014
    I am really loving this game. Its certainly something I'm going to clock many hours into.

Pros + Stunning Graphics + Nostalgic + Tons of content + Excitement + It feels energetic + Battle music sounds GBA-like to capture that original feel + Stream lined story. Not over the top. + Secret bases! + Legendary Pokemon are introduced later into the game making you work to those

Pros
    + Stunning Graphics
    + Nostalgic
    + Tons of content
    + Excitement
    + It feels energetic
    + Battle music sounds GBA-like to capture that original feel
    + Stream lined story. Not over the top.
    + Secret bases!
    + Legendary Pokemon are introduced later into the game making you work to those rewards.

Cons
    - XP Share. (it feels like its on easy mode)

Mutual
    +- Alot of mega stones. Yes there is alot of variety with evolutions, but I cant help but think there could have been a lot more to work on instead of more mega forms.

Overall
    So much fun, very engaging. Highly recommend!!
  20. Jan 23, 2016
    Whew. What can I say? I haven't played a Pokémon game since Pokémon Black, which I found to be somewhat of a disappointment and kind of scared me away from the series for a while. 4 years and something months later, I try out Omega Ruby and was pleasantly surprised to see the direction the games have gone in, restoring my faith in Gamefreak and the Pokémon series.

There is much more

There is much more focus on story now than there used to be, which is great to see. Story is at the heart of an RPG. The visuals of the game are stunning, using the same 6th gen engine as X and Y with some additional mega evolutions. Mega evolution is centralised as part of the story, and it's implemented well into the lore. The updated movepool is also appreciated, and the Fairy type added in 6th gen helps counter the Dragon type, which was before somewhat overpowered. Battles go fast and smoothly and some of the moves really give you a sense of impact with the visuals and how fast the HP bar goes down. The 3D is also appreciated. And the Delta episode... Adds more story on top of an already storyful game! Love it.

My only real complaint with the game would because of that overpowered Exp Share... It's cool to be able to raise an entire team needing only to battle trainers and have minimum grinding, but when it's taking you up 10 levels higher than your opponents consistently, it kinda takes away the challenge. If you're looking for a challenge, you won't find it until post game. If only it was a little weaker and equally split the experience instead.

Overall, brilliant game and I'd highly recommend it to any RPG fan or any Pokémon fan wanting to jump back into the series.
  21. Dec 4, 2014
    It's the game with the best story yet. You truly feel compelled to catch all the Pokemon out there, you truly feel like you're saving the world and hey, it's always nice to have some new mega evolutions. Some of them are overpowered. My only complaint is the post-game. It's empty.
  22. Dec 10, 2014
    I absolutely love this game, and I know I'm going to spend a lot of time in Hoenn, trying to catch them all, visiting secret bases and berry hunting. Things like DexNav, Soaring and Mirage Spots really do make this one of the most fun Pokemon games ever to be released IMO. Unfortunately, it's not 10/10, because of few things:

- It's TOO EASY. Way, way too easy. And I don't get why. Even

- It's TOO EASY. Way, way too easy. And I don't get why. Even as a kid playing Pokemon Gold on my GameBoy I had more in me than what it takes to beat newest Pokemon games. This franchise desperately needs a difficulty setting, or at least a new game+ mode. If you're not going to play online or rock the battle institute/maison to the core, there is even no point in training at all. Exp Share is not really a problem here - the problem is the fact that every trainer in this game has underleveled pokemon and very bad strategies. Why don't they use hold/battle items, why don't they switch out their monsters to mix things up sometimes? The real bad thing here is that beating the game absolutely does not get new players ready for multiplayer, and that's a really solid game design flaw.

- There is no Battle Frontier. There should be. The game itself is even hinting it, but seeing the support that X/Y got I wouldn't hold my breath for any dlc. A lot of people were waiting for that, and for a good reason. BF might have been great bridge between beating the game and multiplayer. A lot better one than Battle Maison is, at least.

- You can't rematch gym leaders. This is just a bummer - they are registered in trainer's eye like the other trainers you can rematch, so why the hell?...

Still, the game is great. Music and plot is really spot-on, especially in Delta Episode. So even though I have some serious bad things to say about Hoenn remakes, I cannot simply get it a score lower than 9. After all, all the disappointments I've mentioned got easily lost among all the magic of the 3rd gen region. I just really hope, that someday we'll get a Pokemon game that has no "buts" like this one.
  23. Jan 12, 2015
    Pokemon was my first game back in 1998, and I've kept up with the series ever since. I put around 800 hours between my Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald games back in the day. As such my score is likely a bit inflated due to my love of the series and the nostalgia factor that remakes imbue in me. (I teared up at the start screen, for example) I purchased both versions, but Omega Ruby was thePokemon was my first game back in 1998, and I've kept up with the series ever since. I put around 800 hours between my Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald games back in the day. As such my score is likely a bit inflated due to my love of the series and the nostalgia factor that remakes imbue in me. (I teared up at the start screen, for example) I purchased both versions, but Omega Ruby was the first I completed, and this review serves to cover both games. Considering all the base content from Ruby and Sapphire is present, there isn't much to say about that which wasn't already said back in 2003. What can be said is that the improvements made provided a great experience. The addition of the Dexnav and its ability to capture special Pokemon in shaking grass greatly adds to the variety in moves that can be used throughout the game. Not only are there the hundreds of moves for the various Pokemon which were already available, but now hidden abilities and egg moves are accessible during the story portion of the game. The addition of the route capture completion map actually inspired me to catch every Pokemon on each route, something I haven't done for a long time. One of the things I was most impressed by was the additions to the story in ORAS. The main series Pokemon games flirted with heavier story in X and Y, and it came back in full force for ORAS. Team Magma and Team Aqua are both much more fleshed out, and the admins are much more like their manga counterparts than before. The addition of "Episode Delta" after the Elite Four also was a pleasant surprise, and one which I didn't expect myself to enjoy so much. The Hoenn region looks great in 3D, and even the water routes didn't seem as monotonous as Ruby and Sapphire. It may just be my mind playing tricks on me due to the 3D, but that's the feeling I gathered from it. Saving the best for last, the always loved secret bases return with a bang. This time players can stay online through the 3DS and visit other player's bases which can be arranged to be mini-gyms of sorts. I can't describe how many times I would be trekking up a route and pop into a secret base to shake things up with an unfamiliar battle. Overall I think the additions to the games made them worthy of being true remakes to Ruby and Sapphire. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2014
    Better than XY by far. XY was okay at best. I liked it but the exploration was rather nonexistent, the story was a little bit better.
    In the other hand, OR AS managed to take Pokemon back in track. Great exploration, great story, fair challenge.
    Even if you are not into Pokemon, OR AS is a great game. period.
  25. Nov 30, 2014
    I have played almost every single Pokemon game and can sincerely say this is my favorite one. Not only does it bring great nostalgia but it immerses you in the experience better than any other Pokemon game IMO. The music is really good, the story line is amazing, especially the delta episode, and to me, it almost felt like you were in one of the Pokemon movies. If you are a fan of Pokemon,I have played almost every single Pokemon game and can sincerely say this is my favorite one. Not only does it bring great nostalgia but it immerses you in the experience better than any other Pokemon game IMO. The music is really good, the story line is amazing, especially the delta episode, and to me, it almost felt like you were in one of the Pokemon movies. If you are a fan of Pokemon, I strongly suggest buying this game. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2014
    Great game and graphics I definitely recommend buying, I like the original a lot but I think this just beats it but it would not be my favourite of the new pokemon games.
  27. Dec 28, 2014
    I think that despite the op exp share and some annoying design desicions "like giving you latios for free" or not having the ability to customize your character "like clothing" this game is a welcome addition to the pokemon formula. There are much more mega evolutions that can vary multiplayer and singleplayer . Although except for some double battles there are no tripple battles or otherI think that despite the op exp share and some annoying design desicions "like giving you latios for free" or not having the ability to customize your character "like clothing" this game is a welcome addition to the pokemon formula. There are much more mega evolutions that can vary multiplayer and singleplayer . Although except for some double battles there are no tripple battles or other modes in the singleplayer which is a shame because X and Y had them hyped!!!!! Expand
  28. May 1, 2017
    Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes of Pokemon's third generation of games; Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. You have the same great core gameplay you've come to expect from Game Freak, but the thing that really stands out is this story.

Although it has the same plot as the earlier games, the story is still incredibly powerful and suspenseful, especially near the end. There are plenty of cutscenes with just awe-inspiring graphics I never knew the 3DS was capable of. These cutscenes progress the story very well, and are crucial to the game's plot unlike other games' unnecessary filler cutscenes.

The grand finale of the game is quite spectacular, and it leaves you with a great feeling that you saved Hoenn and you are now the Pokemon Champion. But after the credits, there's MORE content. You're greeted with a post-game scenario, while not as strong as the main plot, is still great fun.

Generation 4 will always have a special place in my heart in terms of my favourite Pokemon game(s), but without a doubt, Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is one of the best and well-made Pokemon game by miles. A must-have for any 3DS owners.
  29. Jan 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always been a fan of Pokémon but this new entry was not as good as I hoped, I'm not saying it's bad but it could've been better. I have played the original games (Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire) so I have experience with a lot of the story but the overall gameplay was very different. First off, the game starts off rather slow and the lack of catchable Pokémon was slightly annoying and many of them had a VERY low encounter rate. Another addition I disliked was the EXP share. The EXP share is great for beginners as it gives experience to all of your Pokémon in your party but if you're a longtime fan like me, you may think it ruins the difficulty of the game. Also, the first gym leaders Pokémon are weakened from the originals which is another factor which takes the difficulty out of the game. Also the game is very straight forward and becomes VERY boring and repetitive at the beginning of the game. My last negative point of this game is the aftergame. I personally loved the Delta Episode but afterwards it goes downhill. If you've played Pokémon Emerald (the sequel to Ruby and Sapphire) you most likely have visited the Battle Frontier. The Battle Frontier consisted of numerous facilities to have fun and battle all in unique ways. In Pokémon Omega Ruby, there are many hints of the Battle Frontier so after you beat the Delta Episode you may be thinking, "now the Battle Frontier has to be ready for me to visit!". If you thought that, you were dead wrong. Instead of a happy, fun-filled, adventure-packed Battle Frontier, you get the Battle Resort. Sounds fun, right? Wrong. It's just the boring Battle Maison from the previous games Pokémon X and Y. But wait! Not everything is bad for this game. This game is great in many ways! The 3D graphics were rather dull in Pokémon X and Y but Omega Ruby is packed with color. Also, Pokémon Omega Ruby gave Mega Evolutions (Form changes to older Pokémon) to many Pokémon and they are very fun to use. Sadly you can't use Mega Evolution until late in the game but it's an overall great addition. Another good thing is the "half-aftergame". After you capture/defeat Groudon you receive the National Dex. This allows you to catch basically everything in the Pokémon Universe all before the last gym! And last of all, my favorite feature of Pokémon Omega Ruby is.... the Pokenav! In Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, you got Pokenav which was a little feature that would record some trainers and allow them to call you every once in a while. Now, with the addition of the bottom screen, the Pokenav is there. They took away the calling feature and many new things were added. You can watch a little news video of some events that happened or play games but my favorite feature is the Dexnav. The Dexnav allows you to randomly see a part of a Pokémon in the grass or in the area and if you run into it you can battle it. This helps you encounter rare Pokémon more often then normal which gives you a great diversity. Overall Pokémon Omega Ruby was a decent game with multiple flaws but with its many great additions, Pokémon Omega Ruby is a fine game. Expand
  30. Jan 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably the best Pokémon game I've ever played. Ok, I should mention that I moved from Pokémon Diamond version to this version (because I passed almost 500 of hours on Ruby version before the internal battery died). I'm certainly more impressed by the game than someone who played Pokémon X/Y but this game is really awesome. The graphics are really magnificent (for a portable game console), there are plenty of new options (or not for X/Y players) like playing with your own pokémons, training them with minigames or also actually flying with Latios. The mega evolutions are really amazing (except for Aggron which is too fat and ugly I think). Two things I don't like in this version : first, the Exp. share is really cheated because it make your pokemons progress too quikly without fighting by giving xp to all the pokémons of your team (I know we can deactivate it). And second, the fact that every legendary pokémons are catchable in Hoenn regardless they are from Sinnoh, Kanto or any other region (That allow people who can't get Suicune or dialga without any code anymore to get them I know). That being said, I highly recommend this game either you are new with Pokémon or a big fan Expand
  31. Jun 28, 2015
    As someone who played the original ruby back in the day, Omega ruby takes everything that was cool about the original and makes it much better. The contests look amazing and are more challenging, the battles look better than ever, the delta episode adds a few more hours of fun into the mix and the PSS (returning from Pokemon X and Y) makes challenging other people online easy and fun. TheAs someone who played the original ruby back in the day, Omega ruby takes everything that was cool about the original and makes it much better. The contests look amazing and are more challenging, the battles look better than ever, the delta episode adds a few more hours of fun into the mix and the PSS (returning from Pokemon X and Y) makes challenging other people online easy and fun. The new feature of sneaking up on Pokemon is interesting and brings some variety to looking for wild Pokemon. After finishing the game, you even get to go to the brand new battle resort with move tutors, the battle maison and a bunch of new trainers to battle with and of course, Mega evolutions return, with more of them than in X and Y.

However, you can't customize your trainer like you could in X and Y and the battle frontier from emerald is missing. (Missed opportunity) Still, even without those features, the game is another great hit from the Pokemon series and is worth picking up.
  32. Mar 22, 2015
    Pokémon Omega Ruby, & Alpha Sapphire are both rereleases, and unfortunately there wont be a recreation of Emerald. However both games soundtracks, and gameplay have been revamped, once again putting the player in Hoenn to become the champion and stop both Team Magma & Team Aqua from terrorizing the world with the legendary pokemon Groundon, Kyogre, and rayquaza.
  33. Mar 22, 2015
    #TooMuchWater
    On a serious note; the game is amazing. Truly a fantastic remake of the original games: Ruby and Sapphire!
    Great nostalgia; with added features that were really fun to play through!
  34. Mar 29, 2015
    Wer Rubin liebt wird Omega Rubin auch lieben. Es ist im prinzip die gleiche Story mit kleinen Änderungen.
    Die Kämpfe sind endlich voll 3D animiert. Die Musik ist wie immer klasse.
    Wer einen New 3DS besitzt kann nun auch die 3D Funktionen fast ohne Ruckeln verwenden.
  35. May 14, 2015
    This is a great remake of Ruby. Though nothing much is changed with the main story, the newer concepts from X and Y sits well in this long awaited remake. Pokemon contests are finally back. Though it may not be for everyone, it is a pretty fun minigame. It's a shame that the casino is gone, though. Honestly, they could have changed it to an arcade or something to avoid promoting gambling.This is a great remake of Ruby. Though nothing much is changed with the main story, the newer concepts from X and Y sits well in this long awaited remake. Pokemon contests are finally back. Though it may not be for everyone, it is a pretty fun minigame. It's a shame that the casino is gone, though. Honestly, they could have changed it to an arcade or something to avoid promoting gambling.
    The greatest thing about this, however, is the Delta episode, and I love Zinnia's theme. However, I would have liked for this story arc to be slower paced because there really isn't anything spreading it out like how there was the Team Magma antics during your journey to the Pokemon League.
    The end game content here is much better than in X and Y, but instead of the battle frontier from Emerald, there's only a Battle Maison, which is slightly disappointing.
  36. Jul 6, 2015
    I played the original in the GBA, very good, the game made me a fan of Pokemon games, the story is better than the previous titles and the Pokemon are entertaining, the contests, gym battles everything, one of the best Nintendo franchises, and this game is one of the best, really recommend for those who want to start the franchise, will make you spend hours and hours in it
  37. Oct 10, 2015
    I Have To Say good job BUT!!!!! You get latios or latios at level 40's about that It's Great And A good thing to play if bored Ok it's A Bit of a remake for the normal! :)
  38. Sep 12, 2015
    This game makes it very easy to get into competitive Pokemon battling. Mega Evolutions are very fun and there's ton of variety to this game. Double battling is definitely my favorite way to battle. I only hope that the next game is more adequately balanced and with less gimmicky pokemon like Aegislash or Greninja. Instead we need more Pokemon like Ninetales, Gardevoir, Pachirisu, Swellow,This game makes it very easy to get into competitive Pokemon battling. Mega Evolutions are very fun and there's ton of variety to this game. Double battling is definitely my favorite way to battle. I only hope that the next game is more adequately balanced and with less gimmicky pokemon like Aegislash or Greninja. Instead we need more Pokemon like Ninetales, Gardevoir, Pachirisu, Swellow, Gyarados and Milotic. Either way this is my favorite game on 3DS. Expand
  39. Sep 24, 2015
    I loved this Pokemon Game. The Pokemon were fascinating and the art, music and everything else was stupendous! It was an amazing revamp of the original and I can't wait to see wait Nintendo has next!
  40. Sep 30, 2015
    Mt gosh this was a good game the secret bases the game play when battling is great and plus the delta episode and on top of all of that the new mega evolutions like marshtomps and septiles plus primal groudon and kyogre it is the best!
  41. Oct 23, 2015
    No soy muy de remasterizaciones, pero vamos a ver, es Pokemon, es mi infancia, no puedo decir que no! Entre pasarte la Liga Pokemon, el episodio delta, y capturar los legendarios te vas a 40h de juego mínimo. Luego ya, si te quieres preparar para competitivo, capturar todos los Pokemon, intercambios, entrenar, criar... Juego INFINITO e INCREÍBLE!
  42. Feb 18, 2016
    This game is fantastic, my only real gripe is how easy it is! I've been playing the pokémon games since Red version, so I may be expecting a harder experience.

This game is great, if you haven't played it yet and like the series, grab it. It's great for beginners, and with access to basically every pokémon you can have any team you want! Seriously, grab this game if you own a 3DS, it is one of the best ones out there!
  43. Dec 29, 2015
    I never played Ruby or Sapphire, but I have enjoyed playing Omega Ruby for a long time now. It's the meta-game that's kind of a turn-off. In other meta-games there is usually a good use for the weaker allies/troops/friends/whatever that you have, but in Pokemon you are stuck using only a fraction of what's available to win, and you have to spend weeks, if not months, breeding and tradingI never played Ruby or Sapphire, but I have enjoyed playing Omega Ruby for a long time now. It's the meta-game that's kind of a turn-off. In other meta-games there is usually a good use for the weaker allies/troops/friends/whatever that you have, but in Pokemon you are stuck using only a fraction of what's available to win, and you have to spend weeks, if not months, breeding and trading and hoping for a stronger version of what you want to use if you want to even stand a chance.
    Gamefreak, you have a battle resort! Allow us to buy IV boosts with the battle points or something!
    But I digress. The games have been awesome from the very beginning, but the meta-game is not worth the effort.
  44. Mar 9, 2016
    This game is a solid remake of the original games of generation 3. I love how they added so many features making this even more enjoyable. They toned down the difficulty which I disagree with but it was still a decent experience. The new mega evolutions are better than the ones in X and Y in my opinion. If you play competitively this game is great for that. If you are a Pokemon fan youThis game is a solid remake of the original games of generation 3. I love how they added so many features making this even more enjoyable. They toned down the difficulty which I disagree with but it was still a decent experience. The new mega evolutions are better than the ones in X and Y in my opinion. If you play competitively this game is great for that. If you are a Pokemon fan you need to buy this. Expand
  45. Mar 11, 2016
    While the previous Pokemon games were all pixelated, Satoshi Tajiri really stepped up his game this year, giving you the player a fresh new type of graphical design. And while the game lacks in new cool Pokemon, it makes up for it in actual gameplay by giving you a flight system and even going ahead and giving you 10x better graphics,setting up for some exciting gameplay. It is overall aWhile the previous Pokemon games were all pixelated, Satoshi Tajiri really stepped up his game this year, giving you the player a fresh new type of graphical design. And while the game lacks in new cool Pokemon, it makes up for it in actual gameplay by giving you a flight system and even going ahead and giving you 10x better graphics,setting up for some exciting gameplay. It is overall a fun game to play and now I will talk to you about the major aspects of the game.

Pokemon Omega Ruby added something huge when they added being able to fly around on Latias or Latios depending on which game you played. They made it so you could finally fly around in the skies of Pokemon, something I know many people wanted in previous games. Plus they made it so whenever you're flying around at the speed of sound you could run into a Pokemon battle mid air. So maybe you can tell why fans were so happy with the latest game!

But as with so many good things there are always bad things. So when some of the new Pokemon came out, I was heavily disappointed. Some were okay but others looked like they had just fought Terminator using a bubble gun from Just Cause 2. Some had reason in the game while others just sat there pointlessly staring at the wall. Plus when was the last time you used a dancing flower as a Pokemon? Point is, while gameplay is great they need to step up their new Pokemon.
  46. Apr 4, 2016
    Pokemon Omega Ruby has an interesting story, a great fighting system and tons of things to do besides the story. The only downpoint is the difficulty of the Gym Leaders is to easy and the fights are therefore forgettable. This game is lots of fun with a friend. But even alone you can get all the pokemon via trading.
  47. Apr 12, 2016
    Igual de lo divertido
    Pokemon es similar al dicho "Si algo es bueno, para qué cambiarlo"
    Si bien uno no puede esperar algo más nuevo despues de pokemon X/Y, de hecho se explica esta entrega como el pokemon rubi/safiro con el motor del pokemon x/y, pese a la simplicidad que suena funciona. La mayor mejoría es la que respecta al competitivo, dándole un nuevo aire despues de x/y factor
    Igual de lo divertido
    Pokemon es similar al dicho "Si algo es bueno, para qué cambiarlo"
    La mayor mejoría es la que respecta al competitivo, dándole un nuevo aire despues de x/y factor importante para todo jugador de pokemon es formar parte de este mundo competitivo, dándole nuevos aires que renuevan la jugabilidad y crea lazos entre los jugadores de tu zona, un plus excelente para este juego.
    La estrategia de esta generación continua creciendo, tanto en calidad como en cantidad, si nunca tuviste la motivación de formar parte del mundo competitivo de pokémon, ésta es tu oportunidad.
  48. Apr 12, 2016
    Esta nueva version de la tan agradable version rubi es muy buena. Deja intacta la escencia de su version original y mejora varias cosas paratraernos un juego de pokemon bastante jugable, no alcanza la calidad de las versiones X/Y pero destacacomo rpg y juego de la franquicia. Lo malo es que siento que los añadidos a la historia llegan de golpe y se nota que no estaban en su versionEsta nueva version de la tan agradable version rubi es muy buena. Deja intacta la escencia de su version original y mejora varias cosas paratraernos un juego de pokemon bastante jugable, no alcanza la calidad de las versiones X/Y pero destacacomo rpg y juego de la franquicia. Lo malo es que siento que los añadidos a la historia llegan de golpe y se nota que no estaban en su version original, en ese aspecto siento que les falto esfuerzo para dejar que fluyeran dentro del juego.... Cuando capture a latios/latiasme quede con mal sabor de boca... Pero en general recomiendo el juego ya sea que te guste pokemon, que tengas curiosidad, que te gusten los rpg o solo por tener un 3ds Expand
  49. Apr 18, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Ruby, so naturally, over 10 years later, when Game Freak release remakes of it, I naturally go to pick it up! I was not disappointed. The amount of features is absolutely amazing, and the nostalgia factor is still there! I love how you can catch so many legendary Pokemon in Mirage Spots. There are so many things I love about this game, and I'm glad I got to own a remake of the first Pokemon game I ever played. If you're a Pokemon fan, or even just want to get into the Pokemon scene, this game is definitely for you! Expand
  50. Aug 16, 2016
    A perfect mixture between the old style Hoenn and the modernisation Kalos brought along with it, Omega ruby would have it's faults under a microscope but they just don't hold up against all the great things this game provides. The story introduces new elements flawlessly in a simple yet fun manner, whilst Game Freak once again catch on to trends and add little details with make us fansA perfect mixture between the old style Hoenn and the modernisation Kalos brought along with it, Omega ruby would have it's faults under a microscope but they just don't hold up against all the great things this game provides. The story introduces new elements flawlessly in a simple yet fun manner, whilst Game Freak once again catch on to trends and add little details with make us fans just a little bit more content, an example being the battle resort taking the perfect shape for chain breeding, it's a small detail put in as an appreciation towards more avid trainers who make the most of the games every feature. Over all Omega ruby provides new players with an excellent introduction to pokemon as a whole , and once again gives us long time fans another game to enjoy till the very end. Expand
  51. May 29, 2017
    Lo que muchos fans llevaban esperando años.Un remake de 3º generacion bien hecho y fantasticamente estructurado.Banda sonora increible y una historia bien cambiada dentro de lo posible para dar novedad narrativa
  52. Oct 16, 2017
    This is a game with a lot to do. Returning P.S.S. Making communications perfect, toolbar is super-helpful, minigames are fun. The buzznav is pretty boring, but wonder trade channel always cracks me up. Brilliant main game and post game storlines and plot. so MUCH TO FIND AND DO! The main way it loses points for me, is the bases, a brilliant after-game project, But flag collecting can be aThis is a game with a lot to do. Returning P.S.S. Making communications perfect, toolbar is super-helpful, minigames are fun. The buzznav is pretty boring, but wonder trade channel always cracks me up. Brilliant main game and post game storlines and plot. so MUCH TO FIND AND DO! The main way it loses points for me, is the bases, a brilliant after-game project, But flag collecting can be a bit of a bore after a while, especially with all the trolls stopping us from reaching it. I also Find I lways want/need more space, with no good reason for nintendo not giving us a bigger item allowment, there's enough room in my base! I wish we could add extra floors, and have something like a team rocket hideout. Base building is amazing, but hasso much missed potential! Expand
  53. Nov 7, 2017
    Amazing remake of 3rd gen games, my favourite Pokemon game on 3ds. Adds a lot and Hoeen is really beautifull now. Remixed music sounds great. But water never changes..
  54. Dec 14, 2017
    Godly remakes to the great gba games. Revisiting Hoenn with all the multiple new mechanics added in plus the new visuals breathing new life in it was otherworldly
  55. Mar 19, 2018
    9.6/10, it’s online battling that make this game even better than it already is. Just all the online features. Without online, it’s an 8/10, however the online, as you can see makes it even better.
  56. Jan 31, 2018
    Brought Hoenn to the 3ds era and made it beautiful. Pros include both things that the series as a whole got since Ruby/Sapphire, like the physical/special split and the fairy type, and completely new things like soaring.
  57. Feb 14, 2018
    Back when it came out I was worried they were remaking Ruby and Sapphire instead of Emerald, one of my old favorites, but my worries were for nothing: the game turned out way better than platinum. It properly brings all the beautiful routes and cities of Hoenn to 3ds, fleshes out the characters, adds in modern mechanics like pokemon amie and wi-fi online, and the post-game has a new storyBack when it came out I was worried they were remaking Ruby and Sapphire instead of Emerald, one of my old favorites, but my worries were for nothing: the game turned out way better than platinum. It properly brings all the beautiful routes and cities of Hoenn to 3ds, fleshes out the characters, adds in modern mechanics like pokemon amie and wi-fi online, and the post-game has a new story that connects to many characters and legend pkmon in a new way. A must-have. Expand
  58. Mar 3, 2018
    I give it a 9/10 as a longtime fan of the series. While completely obfsucated and made obsolete by the VASTLY superior gen 7 games, this is still the go to game if you want to check the Hoenn region for the first time or revisit it after going with the original Ruby.
  59. Apr 19, 2018
    Very enjoyable, I can recommend. Keeps the spirit of the originals but makes it better, secret bases are fun, better than before. There's a new postgame story
  60. Apr 27, 2018
    Excelente remake, cheio de charme e com tudo que Hoenn oferecia para se fazer + muitas adições, tanto as exclusivas desse jogo como as que se acumularam de jogos anteriores
  61. Nov 22, 2018
    Super Remake besser als das Oroginal . Eines der besten Pokemonspiele. Das beste Pokemon für den 3DS.
  62. Nov 21, 2014
    I may be a little biased considering gen 3 is my favorite region. It is without a doubt the most unique, beautiful and and original region and having it transformed into a 3d world only enhanced all that. No other region holds the landscape and town diversity that gen 3 does. That being said it's the same formula and gameplay Gamefreak has been dishing out for the past 15 years. SureI may be a little biased considering gen 3 is my favorite region. It is without a doubt the most unique, beautiful and and original region and having it transformed into a 3d world only enhanced all that. No other region holds the landscape and town diversity that gen 3 does. That being said it's the same formula and gameplay Gamefreak has been dishing out for the past 15 years. Sure there's dozens of ways they could make Pokemon better and I hope one day they choose to break out of their shell and create the most epic game of all time because they have the capability to. But for what Pokemon is this is as good as it gets. Battle graphics are nice, this region is gorgeous, and you can see Pokemon actually travelling the environment. Screw IGN and their poor excuse for giving this game the lowest Pokemon score because "too much water" because this is the best game yet. Expand
  63. Nov 21, 2014
    I bought and played the LIFE out of the original Ruby in 2003. This game exceeds my expectations. It remains true to the original, Yet adds new features. Hoenn looks amazing in 3D. Unfortunately the broken Experience share was brought over from X and Y. ORAS adds more Mega evolutions, more new features, and it follows the original closely. Game freak truly did an excellent job on this game.
  64. Nov 21, 2014
    seid ihr behindert? so einen niedrigen user score haben die spiele nicht verdient -.-

zum teufel mit flanders! zum teufel mit flanders! zum teufel mit flanders! zum teufel mit flanders!
  65. Dec 26, 2014
    Time sure flies by, as i remember playing the original gba version over 10 years ago. I enjoyed playing this remake. The game has added features while carefully not drastically changing the Hoenn region that many came to love. Although the game feels a bit easier than before, it's the fun and experience that motivated me to play it through. Even though it's not a big step up from x and yTime sure flies by, as i remember playing the original gba version over 10 years ago. I enjoyed playing this remake. The game has added features while carefully not drastically changing the Hoenn region that many came to love. Although the game feels a bit easier than before, it's the fun and experience that motivated me to play it through. Even though it's not a big step up from x and y it is a remake I am satisfied with and have been waiting for quite some time. Expand
  66. Mar 28, 2015
    Game: Pokemon Omega Ruby
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: GameFreak/Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Total Score: 96/100 Value Score: 9.6/10 • Story: 9/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Expansion to the storyline from the original, includes a new episode named
    Game: Pokemon Omega Ruby
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: GameFreak/Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Total Score: 96/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Expansion to the storyline from the original, includes a new episode named DELTA EPISODE and also ties in with the Mega Evolution Anime series
    +Includes all the online features of Pokemon X/Y
    +More pokemon capable of using Mega Evolution than in X/Y
    +OST remixed with a lot of new remixes to several songs. Some songs have multiple remixes.
    +Post game content has been increased with a variety of sidequests and Pokemon that can be captured compared to the original and X/Y.
    +Ability to fly in real time is introduced to the series which brings more freedom of travel than in previous games
    +Secret bases have been improved with more items and more locations added
    +More type of berries have been added
    +Capable of trading between X/Y/Alpha Sapphire and the Pokemon Bank

Cons
    -The character customization feature from X/Y does not exist in this version
    -The game's FPS still drops in battle view - very easy to tell especially in horde battles
    -Personal preference but it is easy to get a lot of Gift pokemon in the game and that kinda spoils the player to use normally obtainable pokemon
    -Shorter than Pokemon X/Y
  67. Nov 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played the original Ruby and Sapphire Pokemon games I have to say this one comes very close to the original in terms plot and overall feel. This game is a step ahead of Pokemon XY with the introduction of new gameplay elements added such as detective mode for catching pokemon, the eon flute mounting you on a latios or latias depending on your version that allows you to TAKE CONTROL AND FLY AROUND. This game is **** awesome. I'm definitely biased because I grew up with pokemon and seeing it come along this far is a touching moment for me. Expand
  68. Nov 22, 2014
    A game that brings you back to 2003, while still having all the nice features of X & Y. The game still makes it easier to EV train and breed. The new megas seem amazing and I can't wait to get a mega slowbro ready for battle.
  69. Oct 30, 2017
    Tiene tanta pero tanta agua que me ahogó cuando lo juego. GLUP GLUP GLUP GLUP IGN BEST CRITIC 10/10 100% REAL NO WATER WATER WATER SURF WATER WATER WATER
  70. Nov 24, 2014
    As amazing as this remake is, I still can't say that it's the best Pokemon game they've put out. If this game came out before X/Y, then this game would be be a 10/10, but aside from it being nostalgic as heck, I was disappointed by how much of a downgrade it is from X/Y. I play Pokemon for the competitive battling and training. I can definitely say that X/Y was the first game that madeAs amazing as this remake is, I still can't say that it's the best Pokemon game they've put out. If this game came out before X/Y, then this game would be be a 10/10, but aside from it being nostalgic as heck, I was disappointed by how much of a downgrade it is from X/Y. I play Pokemon for the competitive battling and training. I can definitely say that X/Y was the first game that made building a strong competitive team easy enough for everybody. The whole Buzznav thing is just unnecessary and to be quite honest, annoying. Nobody cares, let alone wants to be spammed with what area the person you just wonder-traded found a Pokemon. You'd think that they'd make a Ruby port more than just a Ruby port instead of just, as much as I hate to say it, cookie cut X/Y and call it a new game. I honestly believe that this game took the developers the least amount of effort to put together. Although, the whole Pokemon search thing is really neat.

Basically, if you're looking for 'only' a remake of your favourite game, get your hopes up since this remake is perfect in regards to remakes go. But if you're like me, being excited about all the post-game play, and all the cool features that I'd expect to be brought over from X/Y, don't get your hopes exceedingly high.

But all-in-all, it's still a Pokemon game, which automatically makes it an amazingly fun game to play and pour hours into, so even if it is a downgrade from X/Y, it's still a Pokemon game.
  71. Dec 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game, lots of fun, and plenty to do. Oh, but there's too much water, so team magma and jokes for critics on IGN beware. Other than that, if you are a fan of pokemon games, you will more than likely enjoy this game. Plus the game has the best unintentional Dragonball tribute in the Delta episode. Expand
  72. Dec 25, 2014
    Omega Ruby was expected to be better than Pokemon X/Y. It was supposed to build upon the greatness that it was. It was supposed to be blow every other Pokemon game out of the water. However, I expected too much. OR (Omega Ruby) has both great things and bad things. There's some pretty parts, and some ugly parts, but disappointingly enough, the ugly outweighs the pretty. And makeup isn'tOmega Ruby was expected to be better than Pokemon X/Y. It was supposed to build upon the greatness that it was. It was supposed to be blow every other Pokemon game out of the water. However, I expected too much. OR (Omega Ruby) has both great things and bad things. There's some pretty parts, and some ugly parts, but disappointingly enough, the ugly outweighs the pretty. And makeup isn't enough to cover up its blemishes.
    First things first are the new mega evolutions that were introduced. I for one, enjoyed them. BUT, they're not compatible with X/Y. That's one huge issue. Prior to its release, most expected complete compatibility, and while you can still battle between X/Y and OR, you are restricted from using the new mega evolutions, in addition to some new moves that were also introduced. This really makes X/Y somewhat obsolete as everyone will have to switch from XY to OR to have full enjoyment. This was never an issue before, as in Generation IV's Pearl/Ruby was still compatible with Platinum, which introduced new forms to other Pokemon. You didn't have to buy Platinum to be able to battle unrestricted, but it's somehow an issue for OR.
    In addition, OR was supposed to step leaps and bounds ahead of X and Y, but instead they took one step forward and another step back, landing them right at the exact same spot. They took away what many fans enjoyed out of X and Y such as character customization, and awesome gym designs. X and Y featured unique gyms that were never the same. For example, there was a gym shaped like the Eiffel Tower. In OR, all gyms look almost all the same, except with different colors. It might sound silly, but it just shows the designers' laziness.
    Speaking of laziness, OR left out another feature that was in Pokemon Emerald. that many fans enjoyed, and that was the Battle Frontier. OR doesn't have that, but it does have what X and Y had, which was a complete copy/paste of the Battle Maison. Pure laziness.
    BUT, I have to give credit where credit is due. I enjoyed the new Delta episode, I enjoyed the new soaring mechanic, and the addicting "sneaking" part of the game. Other than that, there's nothing memorable about OR.
    In the end, OR in its core is what a Pokemon game is supposed to be. While it didn't impress me, it wasn't that awful. It failed to improve, and that's not all that bad. Hopefully Gamefreak will decide to listen to the fans, and not try to make a quick cash grab from people's nostalgia.
  73. Jan 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pokémon Omega Ruby is not as good as the originals and let me explain why.
    I don't say this lightly because I have loved the Pokèmon games since 1999, it fails because there is no challenge and without a challenge there is no sense of achievement, no reward.
    To explain why, I'm going to have to venture into spoiler territory so if you don't want major parts of the game ruined for you, stop reading now.
    The reason there is no challenge is because everything is dumbed down.
    They hand you Latios and the Mega Evolution stone in a cutscene, you didn't have to fight it, you didn't have to find the stone.
    Then they made it so that every legendary Pokèmon (except Deoxys that I caught with the master ball) is able to be caught if it had yellow HP with a goddamn great ball, no paralysis or anything required.
    This eliminates the sense of challenge, a great part of what made these games so good was the skill it took to catch these legendaries.
    They also almost always take you where you need to be in a cutscene, not allowing you to go there yourself. Which, again, eliminates the sense of always exploring the world that you are in.
    You are also able to go to a battle tower where it isn't isnt even difficult to get points to buy rare candy bars with, eliminating the sense of them being rare and special.
    I could go on but I'm just going to mention the ending, the ending is literally 1,5 hour of cutscenes and exposition dumps.
    I swear at one part I thought I was playing a Metal Gear Game.
  74. Jun 21, 2015
    As a remake of a GBA game released in 2002, this game does not disappoint. By implementing the X &Y game engine, it revives the whole region and reintroduces the Hoenn to the older fans and the newer fans. The new post game also squeezes a little bit more out of the game and it allows for a more immersive adventure. However, this game is also not without flaws. As a huge fan of theAs a remake of a GBA game released in 2002, this game does not disappoint. By implementing the X &Y game engine, it revives the whole region and reintroduces the Hoenn to the older fans and the newer fans. The new post game also squeezes a little bit more out of the game and it allows for a more immersive adventure. However, this game is also not without flaws. As a huge fan of the original games, the omission of certain nuances in the game, such as the Pokeblock blending game and the minigames in Mosdeep City, certainly leads to an incomplete experience. As a child, I remember playing these games with friends and it added another dimension to the gameplay, however without these features in the remakes, Pokemon ORAS just seemed to lack finesse. Overall, the game is still a must buy for all Pokemon fans, whether new or old. Expand
  75. Dec 2, 2014
    If you like Pokemon or JPGs you will like this game. Some people are saying it should have improved on x/y but really what could it add? Even if you don't get in to the whole online battling and breeding side of things you will still get around 20-30 hours out of the storyline and battling the gyms to become a master. Such a great formula that works so well on a handheld device.
  76. Dec 5, 2014
    I don't understand why this game is partially underrated. We all know this game was a remake of a masterpiece and gamefreak in my opinion did a great job of reconstructing and polishing what already was great. The only downside in my humble opinion is that sometimes developers seem to forget that adults play this game too. 9/10
  77. Oct 23, 2015
    Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take the region of Hoenn and bring it into full 3D, at a cost. The graphics are appealing and the music has also leapt forward from the Game Boy Advance. However, when it comes to content, these games are a noticeable step back from Emerald. Features that made Hoenn so hugely memorable, such as the Battle Frontier, were ignored. In fact, unlike HeartPokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take the region of Hoenn and bring it into full 3D, at a cost. The graphics are appealing and the music has also leapt forward from the Game Boy Advance. However, when it comes to content, these games are a noticeable step back from Emerald. Features that made Hoenn so hugely memorable, such as the Battle Frontier, were ignored. In fact, unlike Heart Gold and Soul Silver including almost all of Crystal's additional content, ORAS includes almost nothing from Emerald. It even retains the archaic double battle system from Ruby and Sapphire where the opponent can only use two Pokémon total, when every game from Emerald onward had double battles with more than that.

The game even misses content from the original Ruby and Sapphire. The Safari Zone, an area where you catch Pokémon with bait and rocks as a change of pace, was homogenized to be exactly the same as any other area you catch Pokémon in. The Game Corner, a building with slots and roulettes, was removed for censorship purposes and nothing was added in its place, again in contrast to Heart Gold replacing the Game Corner with a fun new minigame. Several areas were changed for the worse, shrinking places like New Mauville and Mt. Pyre and changing the small crossroads of Mauville City into essentially a gaudy shopping mall that's tedious to navigate.

The difficulty was also cut down and more handholding was added. Pokémon is already an easy series, but this game will insult your intelligence if you're more than five years old. It retains the new Experience Share from Pokémon XY, levelling your Pokémon far higher than the difficulty curve expects them to be at. This is able to be turned off, but it being on by default meant plenty of people went through the game without any challenge whatsoever, and Pokémon is not a series you just play for the story.

To end on a positive note, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire do add new features that improve the game from the original. The Dexnav is a new device that allows you to find Pokémon with special moves and abilities that you normally can't get in the wild, specializing your party if you choose to use it. The Secret Base feature from the originals was expanded to have online features and allows you to set up your own Gym, and I had a lot of fun messing with it. However, the game as a whole is missing content compared to the versions on the Game Boy Advance, and what is there has been watered down in some places. If you've never experienced a Pokémon game set in Hoenn, I recommend looking for a copy of Pokémon Emerald instead. It gives a much better single player experience.
  78. May 6, 2018
    Amazing you're in for a blast with this game. It adds a lot of intresting features and never played the original this really made me love gen 3
  79. Nov 22, 2014
    Unfortunately GameFreak didn't deliver much anticipated extended post game compared to Pokemon XY. Catching legendaries may be fun, but there is nothing more than XY hasn't introduced already. Copypasted Battle Maison, Delta Episode is Looker's Quest, and the worst thing is that they haven't even included Battle Frontier, which has been teased with many assets and references. This remakeUnfortunately GameFreak didn't deliver much anticipated extended post game compared to Pokemon XY. Catching legendaries may be fun, but there is nothing more than XY hasn't introduced already. Copypasted Battle Maison, Delta Episode is Looker's Quest, and the worst thing is that they haven't even included Battle Frontier, which has been teased with many assets and references. This remake seems like a inferior version to Emerald sadly, although you can still enjoy it. Expand
  80. Jan 5, 2015
    I'm gonna start this by saying I love Pokemon. I loved it since I first played Pokemon Red in 1999, and have played every pokemon game since. That is why I HATE that it's being torn apart like this, 6th gen was a mess and this is probably the game where I'm gonna stop playing, unless they make some big turn-arounds. I would have said Pokemon Emerald was a solid 9.5 and, if not for PokemonI'm gonna start this by saying I love Pokemon. I loved it since I first played Pokemon Red in 1999, and have played every pokemon game since. That is why I HATE that it's being torn apart like this, 6th gen was a mess and this is probably the game where I'm gonna stop playing, unless they make some big turn-arounds. I would have said Pokemon Emerald was a solid 9.5 and, if not for Pokemon BW, the best one yet. I had high hopes of this remake, as I thought it would take the sour taste of Pokemon XY away, and still, it retained all of it's problems:
    1) GLOBAL EXPERIENCE SHARE. I get it, it's a game for kids, but this is dumbing it waaaaay too much. Grinding may be a bit tedious at times, but RPG games use it to PACE the game and make it more CHALLENGING. The 6th Gen Exp. Share wreaks havoc upon this, by making it litterally impossible to lose. Really. If you battle 80% of the trainers with this thing on, every pokemon will be 3 levels above the Gym Leader's. Oh and by the way
    2) TRAINERS ARE NOT CHALLENGING. None of them. They did the same thing in XY, the only trainer IN THE ENTIRE GAME who has 6 pokemons is the f*cking champion. THATS NOT MAKING IT DIFFICULT, IT'S MAKING THE GAME EASIER. The rivals (May/Brendan and Wally) are a JOKE to beat, when they were almost a difficulty highlight in the original games.
    3) THE PACING IS HORRIBLE. Seriously, it seems the game just wants to get over with the story ASAP for the most part. Since there's no grinding, there isn't anything really holding you back, and on TOP OF THAT YOU *****SPOILER***** GIFT ME A F*CKING LATIOS??? *****END SPOILER***** give me a break (actually try not to).
    4) (and this may be personal) The characters are dumbed down. I say this because as the animations go with the characters, they seem to be less serious. *****SPOILERS AGAIN***** When you fought Maxie in the original games, he was tough, and when you beat him, you felt like you accomplished something. When I beat him in ORAS his glasses fell off. It wasn't serious, none of it was. Plus Tabitha. Really, that character sucks. *****END SPOILERS*****
    5) (AND THE WORST OF ALL) NO BATTLE FRONTIER. Seriously. You're being serious right now. THE VERY REASON WHY EMERALD WAS SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT OVER RUBY AND SAPPHIRE WAS BECAUSE OF THIS AND YOU TOOK IT OUT. WHY. WHY GOD WHY. WHAT DID YOU GAIN?
    Let's make this clear: I don't care if it's DLC because at the moment of the review, it isn't here. What boggles me is this: If you didn't have time to finish all the game and had to release DLC, wouldn't it have been much better to release BF as part of the game and the Delta Episode as DLC?
    Game Freak really dissapointed me with this game. However, as much as I cried over how good it could've been, there are some things they did right.
    1) 3D. Yeah, same 3D as in XY, BUT, as much as I didn't like some of the characters (TABITHA GO DIE), others such as Steven and Zinnia are very well done.
    2) Delta Episode. It's kind of the highlight new thing. It's nice, brings in some new elements to the continuity (*****SPOILER***** parallel universes whaaaat *****END SPOILER*****). BUT it's the only post-game thing to do, so... yeah.
    3) The Music. At first I didn't like it. Maybe I was so blinded from the bad game I was playing so I didn't realize it, but the old themes are well ported and THE NEW ONES ARE AMAZING OMG BATTLE AGAINST WALLY OST LISTEN TO THAT.
    Well, I guess that's it. Maybe a bit extensive for Metacritic, but I like to write my opinion. The conclusion to all this the following:
    I wish Game Freak would stop sh*ting Pokemon. Not changing. Change is great. That's what made Pokemon BW the best one in my opinion. The characters were amazing, the game was challenging in it's own way, and it was about exploration. They took everything Pokemon RBY had and made it again, but not in the "let's put 1st gen pokemon in here". They had the same feel, something that I feel is clearly missing in the 6th gen.
  81. Dec 4, 2014
    *Slow claps* Bravo gamefreak, instead of learning with your mistakes, you keep doing them.
    It's only a visual improvement, the main character still being zero dimensional, the songs are from "meh" to forgettable, characters too. But to their credits, the new flying thing is cool, i can say that.
    If your care for story, characters and music in a RPG, don't play ANY Pokemon, there's better RPGs in the market to pick up.
  82. Jun 7, 2016
    The remake we all wanted that was dumb down to fit a new generation of children that have the attention span of a fly.
    You'll level up way too easily, Flannery, the Gym Leader that made you suffer if you had chosen Treecko is now a wimp in the remake, being a challenge only if you are making a nuzzlocke.
    The experience was watered down so much that it is not a challenge anymore; as
    The experience was watered down so much that it is not a challenge anymore; as someone who played and finished Emerald and Sapphire versions many times, this was a huge disappointment, I haven't finished the game so far since the release date and I seriously doubt about playing it again.

SoulSilver is a remake worth replaying, it should be the basis/template for the next Pokémon remakes.
  83. Nov 23, 2014
    As with every remake of an older Pokemon game one would assume they would improve the experience. Sadly this does not apply to this game.Hoenn was one of the worst reveived generations due to flaws like half the region being uninspired water routes and a weird soundtrack based on trumpets. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire do nothing to remedy these faults. The music is somehow better but theAs with every remake of an older Pokemon game one would assume they would improve the experience. Sadly this does not apply to this game.Hoenn was one of the worst reveived generations due to flaws like half the region being uninspired water routes and a weird soundtrack based on trumpets. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire do nothing to remedy these faults. The music is somehow better but the game is still 50% water routes. Another problem is the lack of new important features. Other than soaring which is essentially you riding on the back of a Latio or Latias as seen in trailers which isnt even that meaningfull or important to the game there is again nothing to do after completing the story. People where expecting the return of Battle Frontier since Game Freak teased its location by covering up the Frontier island with clouds in its preview map of the game. This was an obvious lie. There is nothing hidden there and the post game content is essentially X/Y post game. A small side story that involves Rayquaza and a shameless copy of the Battle Maison from X/Y. If you are not a hardcore Pokemon fan and have already played the original games there is no reason to buy the remakes since all it does is add mega evolution to its plot and overhaul the graphics Expand
  84. Nov 30, 2014
    I was excited to play this game because Gen 3 is my favorite generation of Pokemon. What disappointed me was that this game was way too easy. They literally hand you every item that in the old game, you had to find and work for. Never once in this game did I say to myself; "Dang, I'd better train up my team, I might get stomped by this next gym leader." The Rayquaza lore is pretty cool,I was excited to play this game because Gen 3 is my favorite generation of Pokemon. What disappointed me was that this game was way too easy. They literally hand you every item that in the old game, you had to find and work for. Never once in this game did I say to myself; "Dang, I'd better train up my team, I might get stomped by this next gym leader." The Rayquaza lore is pretty cool, but overall too short. After finishing this game, I feel like I need more. Basically, it just made me want to replay Emerald. Expand
  85. Sep 10, 2016
    The only nice thing i can tell about it, is that it is better than X and Y. But that is small praise, considering this is a remake of an archaic handheld jrpg.

Nintendo has milked the same 8-bit gameplay for decades, and has made billions out of it. For the love of God, stop buying this.
  86. Feb 7, 2015
    Bought this on a whim, and was hoping for some big changes, like being able to travel to other regions... I'm not into the contests, and when I got to Sootopolis City, I kinda stopped playing, and haven't since...
  87. May 11, 2015
    I was majorly disappointed in the lack of 3D in this '3DS remake' as the colours and backgrounds are vibrant. The game, while being my first Pokemon game (I won it in an online draw), fails to impress. Over the years I have heard so much hype. I bought Platinum for the Wii but never had a chance to play too much of it before a friend "borrowed it" and never saw it again. But from my memoryI was majorly disappointed in the lack of 3D in this '3DS remake' as the colours and backgrounds are vibrant. The game, while being my first Pokemon game (I won it in an online draw), fails to impress. Over the years I have heard so much hype. I bought Platinum for the Wii but never had a chance to play too much of it before a friend "borrowed it" and never saw it again. But from my memory this is pretty much the same game. Repetitive, juvenile, slow, too many Pokemon to remember or care about, too easy to play... it leaves you wondering what am I missing? The animations are cute and it is at least not as bad as Paper Mario Sticker Star, and it does make an okay portable game without having to commit too much of your brain cells or time restraints make it easy to put down and pick up again. Too bad Xenoblade Chronicles 3D had to come along and take my time instead! Expand
  88. Dec 7, 2015
    Pokémon: Omega Ruby is grand, gorgeous, wonderful, epic... and way too easy. This Pokémon game lacks balance. If you decide to make full use the DexNav and Exp. Share, you open up a way of playing to which the enemy AI just aren't tailored to. After a couple of routes, I found myself on a constant level where I was at least 6 levels ahead of the other trainers. I quickly decided to turn itPokémon: Omega Ruby is grand, gorgeous, wonderful, epic... and way too easy. This Pokémon game lacks balance. If you decide to make full use the DexNav and Exp. Share, you open up a way of playing to which the enemy AI just aren't tailored to. After a couple of routes, I found myself on a constant level where I was at least 6 levels ahead of the other trainers. I quickly decided to turn it off, but the damage had been done. Powerful assets like these should be unlockable later on in the game, after meeting specific requirements.

Or Game Freak might want to work on some sort of dynamic difficulty level, which has been around since the era of the PS1. That way, everyone will be able to get through the game on a level best suited for them.

Besides, there is too much water. //shot

Anyway, outrageous cakewalk that this game is, is really what stings most here. I still enjoyed going back to Hoenn again after all these years. The 3D Pokémon are gorgeous, and the familiar music is beatifully remastered. With a dynamic difficulty level, this could have been the definitive Pokémon experience.
  89. Dec 29, 2014
    meh, i came into this game expecting something great, the game was hyped critics loved it EVERYONE WAS TALKING ABOUT IT! but it was meh, i had never played an official pokemon game before this and wasn't too big a fan so i expected this game to change all of that, but it didn't. The main problem with the game is the fact there is no guidance on what to do, several points in the game i satmeh, i came into this game expecting something great, the game was hyped critics loved it EVERYONE WAS TALKING ABOUT IT! but it was meh, i had never played an official pokemon game before this and wasn't too big a fan so i expected this game to change all of that, but it didn't. The main problem with the game is the fact there is no guidance on what to do, several points in the game i sat there stumped, no idea what to do where to go, also i could't find a pause button to pause the games and the cutscenes were boring and unskippabe, i don't hate the game but it is way too flawed to be considered above X and Y or the origional ruby and sapphire. Expand
  90. Jan 23, 2015
    This was my first pokemon game. I was somehow disappointed by how easy it was. I kept the same group of pokemon for most of the game, without grinding or whatever my pokemon were 10 levels above everyone else. The only ennemy ever to make any trouble at all was the last pokemon of the very last boss.
    The only difficulty seems to be to know the right element to use against every enemy.
    But perhaps the game is more about fighting human ennemies that level up their pokemon as well. Anyhow, I'm not really blown away like everybody else.
    This being said, the animations are nice, the game is not too short and the story could be worse. Some riddles were quite good, a very few even hard. Anyway, it seems like a too easy mix between rock paper scissors, zelda and a trading card game.
  91. May 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel it's decent but as a follow-up to one of my favorite games of all time It's one step forward two steps back. some of my problems are from Emerald that weren't fixed. First off the audio is a huge downgrade. from Pokemon X's gorgeous soundtrack. (This is one of those problems from Emerald that wasn't fixed BTW) Pokemon emerald had a very limited number of tracks that played in multiple locations. Which means I can guarantee you'll get sick of the soundtrack. Whether you're playing Emerald,Ruby,Sapphire,Omega Ruby, Or Alpha Sapphire.I could excuse this if was the Game Boy or Boy Color because it had limited memory but other GBA Games had incredible Soundtracks with music that either plays in a single location or wasn't used into the ground like Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga & Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. The new Mega Evolutions are incredible But The Primal reversions are mixed. Primal Groudon is absolutely incredibly useful with the awesome new signature move Presipice Blades, the gaining of the fire type, & the best ability ever DESOLATE LAND that makes him & all other Pokemon in battle immune to water-type moves Which makes Wallace a complete joke.. But Primal Kyogre is pretty underwhelming. I feel the game is a little easy but not by much. I feel they gave you to many Mega stones before beating the game which means no mega Stone Scavenger Hunter which was really fun. I do like that you can get 1 Pokemon previously only available via distribution *SPOILER* IT'S DEYOXYS. & I'm glad that Latias & Latios are no longer Roaming Legendary's which are gone. you think That'd be good news well at least for me you're WRONNNNNNNG! Instead in order to get certain legendary pokemon you need to achieve certain obscure requirements that you won't know unless you look it up. which Is even worse than Roaming Legendary's. The Delta Episode was Pretty Dang Good & introduced new ideas to the Pokemon universe. But We've already established two Pokemon alternate universes. The Pokepark Universe & Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel Zinnia is quirky but not all that interesting. I do love the bigger emphasis on Story the recent games introduced. I feel that a couple Gym have gotten easier from Emerald. particularly Norman because he dropped that stupid spinda. I also feel the Pokemon league is step back from Back & White 1,2,X, & Y by not being able to take on the elite four in any order you want. & I feel the last fight is an anticlimatic cheap ripoff of the final blue fight. Plus it's go signigance to the plot. I'm not gonna spoil the story because I'd feel like a jerk. it's decent but I feel it's one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. Expand
  92. Mar 13, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are beautiful but they made this game really easy. First pokemon you can catch is Lvl 5 Poochyena with Thunder/Fire/Ice Fang. Then I caught a lvl 15 Taillow on the way to the first gym. They gifted me Latios somewhere in the middle of the story. In the original you had to walk back to a city but these days they teleport you there. 70% of my battles were probably super effective 1 hit KOs. Gym Leaders are a joke. Legendaries used to be an accomplishment but they just throw a ton at you with easy catch rates. Bad game for a veteran, great game for a beginner who doesn't know how to exploit all the tools they gift you with. Expand
  93. Jun 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mediocre what else pros soaring is fun and the delta episode is fun thats it oh and also contests are finally fun it only took them 10 years now on to negatives i was wondering how can they make this game more easier than xy they succeed every trainer is 2-5 lvs lower than you they keep using status boost moves like double team instead of attacking you are you serious not only that they made all trainers only have a max of 3 pokemon why and the thing that got on my nerves they gave you a latias/os you dont have to catch it they just say hey is the game too hard?No... heres a free legendary lastly They made magma less evil why,why and may and wally still suck as a rival Expand
  94. Jul 10, 2016
    It's too EASY. I know that this is made for little kids, but really? At least put SOME challenge into it so it can be fun. They really screw balled it damn it.
  95. Aug 23, 2016
    Ficou melhor que o original, mas é um remake de um dos piores jogos de pokemon, é muito chato, jogaram um bocado de lendário nada haver, perdeu a troca de roupa e estilo do persnagem
  96. Aug 18, 2016
    lmao so forgettable that i forgot which version I bought. the ign girl was right there really is too much **** water in this game wtf. also i hate that u were limited to 8 directions when you were indoors
  97. Oct 14, 2016
    The gameplay for most is pretty okay i assume but the added story is a big pile of crud plus zinnia's animations gave me nightmares. Plus for some strange reason no battle frontier, although i think this is good because battle frontier is the monster from hell where no matter how strong are you, you die.
  98. Nov 3, 2016
    I know I'm late with this review but here goes. This is much improved from ruby version just by graphics alone. 3d makes the game look alive and well compared to ruby version. Rpg elements are largely the same as ruby version. Characters are looking fresh with new designs however I did like team magma's old designs more. The story is much the same with completing 8 gyms, elite four andI know I'm late with this review but here goes. This is much improved from ruby version just by graphics alone. 3d makes the game look alive and well compared to ruby version. Rpg elements are largely the same as ruby version. Characters are looking fresh with new designs however I did like team magma's old designs more. The story is much the same with completing 8 gyms, elite four and champion steven. Delta episode post game is very pleasing however battle maison is sadly back from x and y instead of the much hoped for battle frontier which let me down massively. Mega evolutions were a treat in omega ruby. Overall, not much has changed but the graphics and nostalgia brought me back and this was a welcome remake of an old favorite. Expand
  99. Dec 31, 2019
    The remakes of Ruby and Sapphire were... Disappointing. Not necessarily bad, but disappointing.
    For one, I liked that they sort of "revamped" Hoenn, with places like Mauville City getting a complete overhaul. There are a lot more Mega Stones available before the post-game compared to X and Y, and the new Mega Evolutions are pretty great as well. The return of contests and secret bases was a sight for sore eyes. Finally, the new "Delta Episode" added a nice post-game story.
    However, the biggest slap to the face was seeing the words "The Battle Frontier Project has started!" This game had the perfect opportunity to bring back the Battle Frontier, and they blew it in perhaps the most insulting way possible. Various different battle styles had been introduced since the Frontier's first appearance in Emerald, that could have been utilized to create a new, more interesting Battle Frontier.
    Overall, it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but knowing what it could have been hurt my enjoyment of it a bit.
  100. Mar 5, 2019
    Great remake and in my opinion way better than the original. A little bit too easy and the soundtrack isn't that interesting. Anyway, cool map-design, entertaining fly-option with Latias/Latios and a really cute relationship between the "rivals". Also the delta-episode after beating the champion is great. Definitely worth buying.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 61 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Feb 7, 2015
    If you haven’t played Pokémons since the first Game Boy, give Omega Ruby a try, because there’s just no way you’re going to be disappointed with it. It’s the same game you remember, just better. [01/2015, p.75]
  2. Jan 28, 2015
    A much better experience than what was expected. The change in the rhythm and the emphasis in the story elements manage to captivate the player in a way that the Game Boy Advance versions couldn’t.
  3. Jan 19, 2015
    If you have any interest at all in Pokémon this game will surpass your expectations.