• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jun 28, 2011
6.6

1. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's start with this game which I just got and it's fairy good sometimes here's my main reason:

1. the character now runs when you don't need to hold two buttons to do it

2. it's fairly easy to kill a whole bunch of Ganados and get a kill zone for hours

3. I notice something they like changed in this game in some levels you're in waves after waves which is pretty boring I guess which could take a few hours until you die or the time goes down until the game is over

4. it's on line which to me I like not the best game for on line stuff as you need to go to place to another before a Gan ado shows up

5. they went down to really put the same levels in Resident Evil 4 and 5 Mercenaries but they put random bad guys in the area instead

Downside is
    when you try to kill say a boss you try to but the fact is your surround by the other mobs who try to kill you and then more and more show up out of nowhere making it a one hell annoying even more for you.

Only the big bosses come after you all others they stand still wait for you to attack this game is pity just so Cap com can and willing get more money at there doorstep for selling a mini-game which was on three other games man it's just crude!

But they is no story to this mindless game but it's kind of fun game to rank up a lot of points if you got the time and er patience to do it.

I did had a lot of lag in the on line though when you on the last 5 seconds on so the game will die and say you're connection has been lost then you're back at the start of the menu with all the points you just got meaning you got to do that stage again!

At least you get these killer skills you can use on this game :D which I like the thunder strike thing when you hit a person out thunder strikes around them and hitting anyone on the area which is funny.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    As a big RE fan I was very excited when this new portable version of the shooting franchise was released and all in all I wasn't disappointed.

The style the gameplay requires you to kill as many enemies as you can in a limited amount of time. It's an addictive and action filled game that you are bound to like if you enjoy head shotting enemies against the clock. The attraction of beating your previous high scores will have you playing through this relatively short game a good few times.

Essentially Mercenaries is just a slightly expanded mini-game. There's no story mode and just six groups of missions to play. Also, there are only eight characters to choose from each with only one alternative costume. This lack of variety is slightly disappointing from a game which retails at the price of a full release.

The aiming and shooting system works well you use the circle 3DS pad to aim which feels very intuitive. However, the feature that allows you to move while shooting by pressing L to strafe is useless as you cannot adjust your crosshairs whilst moving. This is a disappointing flaw but it can always be overcome by just stopping and then lining up the headshots.

The graphics of this game are very good and possibly even the best I have seen on the 3DS. However the frame rate is poor which is very annoying as in places the game can stutter. Also enemies can randomly disappear during gameplay which can be infuriating.

A nice feature of the game is the ability to unlock skills and up to three of them to your character. Also there is the ability to play with a buddy on certain missions via a local or online link. Although this does require both players to own the cartridge it does make for a fun addition to the gameplay.

Finally, this game comes with a complementary Resident Evil Revelations demo which is due to come out sometime next year. The demo is only a couple of minutes long and does not really give you a great feel as to what this game is going to be like.

Overall, Mercenaries 3D feels like it has been rushed through production due to the slow frame rate, flawed moving controls and enemies which disappear randomly. But despite the fact that this game has the depth of a kiddie pool it is an excellent ride. If, like me, you enjoy shooting monsters then you will overlook problems and just embrace the addictive and action-filled nature of this game.
  3. Jul 7, 2011
    @Santaglaus:

@Santaglaus:

You should not be reviewing games on Metacritic. If you're going to give a game a 10, there should be no complaints whatsoever, yet in your review, which is fairly short, you go on to complain half the time about the game and you cannot spell! A 10/10 game is flawless, RE: Mercenaries is not flawless...... you even say so yourself. Please stay off of Metacritic. It's ignorant people like you who destroy the credibility of game reviews here on metacritic.

Oh, and BTW, the game is OK. I gave it a 6 / 10, which is being generous. No touchscreen first person shooter controls on a touchscreen centered gaming system?! WTF?! This game should really not have even been released as a stand - alone $40 MSRP game. It should have been an add-on or a Downloadable title in it's current iteration. Don't even get me started on the Saving debacle associated with this game..... I won't go there because plenty of us already know what kind of crap that whole thing turned out to be. Hopefully Capcom won't pull that BS anymore.

Overall though, for what it's worth, it's an OK game and suits "on - the - go" portable gaming well. It should have been a DLC game though and not a full retail release.
  4. Jul 2, 2011
    Maybe it's just my view is a bit obscure, but having played very few shooters and no earlier of the Resident Evil installments, i found this quite new and interesting, however, i can understand that to others it may not be so. The graphics are nice, some of the best on a non-Nintendo mafe 3DS game, and the gameplay is quite well incorporated with the 3DS' style. There is a slight lack toMaybe it's just my view is a bit obscure, but having played very few shooters and no earlier of the Resident Evil installments, i found this quite new and interesting, however, i can understand that to others it may not be so. The graphics are nice, some of the best on a non-Nintendo mafe 3DS game, and the gameplay is quite well incorporated with the 3DS' style. There is a slight lack to the actual missions, but it's fun nonetheless, and I do think the critic reviews are slightly harsh. There's nothing mindblowing as Jowser11 said, but it's nice to play until Nintendo releases some of it's own games later this year, but it isn't a must have, just nice to have if you've got it. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2011
    This game may be pretty for a handheld game, it may be enjoyable when you first get your hands on it but I warn people that this outer-sheen quickly fades away when you realise (as a fan of the series or otherwise) that there really isn't all that much to do. From such a revered series it is shocking that the developers only found time to copy&paste about 9 almost unique locales into theThis game may be pretty for a handheld game, it may be enjoyable when you first get your hands on it but I warn people that this outer-sheen quickly fades away when you realise (as a fan of the series or otherwise) that there really isn't all that much to do. From such a revered series it is shocking that the developers only found time to copy&paste about 9 almost unique locales into the game and anyone thats played the bonus modes that this is based on from RE4/5 will be astonished to see they have not only not bothered to include the entirety of the missions at the least from those AND they have opted to eject the wide variety of playable characters in favour of 7 (and Barry Burton) with a huge variety of 1 alt costume each (what sarcasm?) missing out on a number of the series most beloved characters in favour of a walking internet meme. AND to rub salt in the wound we have a title that can only be played through once, with only 1 save file and no option to delete that save and start over. So overall we have a lazy cash-in to show-off an impressive engine that WILL be put to better use in the true next entry in the RE series: Revelations. So my advice is either wait till this drops to a reasonable price (a lot) and buy it new or wait for Revelations to come out and replay OOT:3D instead. Value for money: 3/10 but the quality of the experience that is under all this butchering earns the itself a 6/10 so overall: 5/10 Expand
  6. Jul 8, 2011
    Please note, this game is obviously first generation software. Is that a bad thing? Yes and no. Starting off with the positive, Capcom really succeeded in bringing the Mercenaries to 3DS. As a mini-game appearing in RE 4 and RE 5, they still managed to maintain the feel of the console counterparts. Which is fairly amazing, because both games appeared on pretty powerful machines. The enemyPlease note, this game is obviously first generation software. Is that a bad thing? Yes and no. Starting off with the positive, Capcom really succeeded in bringing the Mercenaries to 3DS. As a mini-game appearing in RE 4 and RE 5, they still managed to maintain the feel of the console counterparts. Which is fairly amazing, because both games appeared on pretty powerful machines. The enemy count is impressive, although there are minor problems like choppy animation in the distance and sometimes enemies will act quite dumb. Controls are smooth and because of it's score attack nature very addictive. People who played the Mercenaries on RE 4 and 5 will absolutely love it.

The thing is... it's clearly first generation software. While the core game is good fun, there could have been more content. Yes, the mission available have a pretty high replay value but it could have been more. More characters, (No Leon? Someone's skipping on the drinks again), more costumes, more abilities and levelgrowth, more areas, a better presentation with the menu etc. You just know Capcom will release The Mercenaries 3D 2 in the future with all of these features. And I'll buy it anyway :(

The core game is quite good. Content-wise, it's a bit meagre. But for a launch title? It's nice. If you like score attack games, you'll love it. And if you think Mercenaries in RE 4/5 is fantastic.
  7. Jul 11, 2011
    The game is just a revamped version of the merecenaries mode on resident evil 4 and 5. It is nothing fans of merecenaries mode have seen before. It is also worth mentioning the game;s save data cannot be deleted, evidence that Capcom doesn't want it to be resold. although you get to see your favorite resident evil heroes and baddies, there isn't as much content as would be expected of theThe game is just a revamped version of the merecenaries mode on resident evil 4 and 5. It is nothing fans of merecenaries mode have seen before. It is also worth mentioning the game;s save data cannot be deleted, evidence that Capcom doesn't want it to be resold. although you get to see your favorite resident evil heroes and baddies, there isn't as much content as would be expected of the series. But the game is still well worth looking into. Expand
  8. May 4, 2013
    No plot to speak of, and things can get monotonous fast as you spend hours killing enemies over dull levels. However the combat itself is actually quite a lot of fun most of the time, and provided you can find someone to play with online really saves this game. Shame there are no on-line leader boards.
  9. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is very fun once you turn it on u jump into to the fast paced action killing and slicing zombies the graphics are very nice and they could have had more effort put into it. there are only 2 problems with this game 1. this game has no story just killing zombies before time runs out (still pretty fun though). and 2. i s that it lacks content a bit more content like more modes orThis game is very fun once you turn it on u jump into to the fast paced action killing and slicing zombies the graphics are very nice and they could have had more effort put into it. there are only 2 problems with this game 1. this game has no story just killing zombies before time runs out (still pretty fun though). and 2. i s that it lacks content a bit more content like more modes or more costumes would have given this game a 80 at least. this game is still a must buy because it has some replay value like going back and beating your time or unlocking stuff Expand
  10. Dec 11, 2012
    I always really enjoyed The Mercenaries minigame for Resident Evil, especially 4. So when I saw this for 15 bucks, I figured it was worth a shot despite the score. After playing it for a few weeks, I think people are being far too critical. It's exactly what it says on the tin: The Mercenaries. There are more characters, more weapons, upgradeable skills...if you wanted TM with bells andI always really enjoyed The Mercenaries minigame for Resident Evil, especially 4. So when I saw this for 15 bucks, I figured it was worth a shot despite the score. After playing it for a few weeks, I think people are being far too critical. It's exactly what it says on the tin: The Mercenaries. There are more characters, more weapons, upgradeable skills...if you wanted TM with bells and whistles, you got it. As for negatives, I have to ding it a point or two for the "boss" fights. They're pretty boring and frustrating, but luckily there are very few. Also when enemies are a long distance away and running, their movement animations get a bit wonky, but that's a minor complaint. Also could do without the voiceover at the beginning of every single mission. BUT. Overall, this game is a solid 7. It's fun to play and great if you enjoy The Mercenaries. Get it cheap and you'll be satisfied with it! Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2012
    I'm writing this review on the basis that I got it for just £15.00 and it is now available for £10 or less if you are lucky. The game has a decent amount of content and replayability. The gameplay is fun and great for both at home and online or out and about. The levels range from short minute-long affairs to huge 20+ minute wave after wave games gettingI'm writing this review on the basis that I got it for just £15.00 and it is now available for £10 or less if you are lucky. The game has a decent amount of content and replayability. The gameplay is fun and great for both at home and online or out and about. The levels range from short minute-long affairs to huge 20+ minute wave after wave games getting progressively harder and harder. You have a few different ways to play depending on what suits you best. You can choose your favourite character and unlock weapons and set ups for that character based on the other characters set of weapons and equipment. There is a good range of enemies which all behave and fight differently. There are also different tiers of enemies including regular footsoldiers, tanks and specialists (such as chainsaw users which are hard to kill). On some missions you must fight a boss battle too.

Graphics: 9/10 - The frame rate of the enemies in distance is downscaled a bit to save on performance, but the textures, models and environments look amazing for the 3DS.
    Gameplay: 8/10 - The gameplay is fun and long lasting, replayable and even better with a friend online or in local wireless. It may get stale after a while, but you can always remedy that by trying a different set of weapons and skills.

So if you are hesitant whether or not to drop £10-15 on this game and like shooters, zombies, guns and time trails/wave after wave style fights, go for it.
  12. Sep 12, 2013
    Really fun game. Sometimes I felt like I was the only one on the internet who likes this game. But the voices though are HORRIBLE. I don't why people hate this game. Score: 3/5.
  13. Dec 8, 2014
    The Mercenaries 3D is a simple action game based on the mercenaries mode from RE4 and RE5. Graphics are some of the best on the system and the handling is similar to RE4 on Gamecube. There isn't a lot of depth and it desperately needs more characters and stages but it's still a lot of fun to play and has great replay value.
  14. Apr 15, 2015
    At the beginning I was just thinking. An iteration to get money before Resident Evil Revelations. And that is what it feels. I felt why did I waste my money? but, later on, I actually got into the game and it is actually addictive. This game only makes sense to wait for Revelations.
  15. Nov 11, 2016
    This game seemed pretty badass when I bought it. Well it kinda was. It did not really enjoy how the game did not have any story line. All you do is shoot and get points. But the third-person viewpoint was pretty good.
    One other good thing I really enjoyed was the demo for Resident Evil: Revelations. This game though is lucky enough to get a 5/10.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 19, 2011
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is a fantastic experience...while it lasts. Sadly, as with other impressive titles such as Nintendo's own Pilotwings Resort and Steel Diver, Capcom has delivered a high quality product with plenty of thrills and spills, but lacking in the vital longevity stakes for anyone other than die-hard score chasers.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    A boring minigame stretched to full lenght boots. The idea should have been scrapped at the development table. [Sept 2011]
  3. Oct 7, 2011
    A disappointment. The game seems like a test project on the 3DS for Capcom with the end goal of checking how the engine works on the 3DS hardware.