8.3

1. Aug 18, 2014
    It's hard NOT to love this game, actually. The controls are simple and precise, the puzzles are clever but not too challenging, and it has a simple but emotional plot. It's definitely a hard game, and not one I'd recommend to laid-back or beginner gamers, but that's what retro gaming was and what it is now. The side quests and bonus items are touching, but you don't feel pressure to goIt's hard NOT to love this game, actually. The controls are simple and precise, the puzzles are clever but not too challenging, and it has a simple but emotional plot. It's definitely a hard game, and not one I'd recommend to laid-back or beginner gamers, but that's what retro gaming was and what it is now. The side quests and bonus items are touching, but you don't feel pressure to go back and collect them all. The mechanics of the game are genius, not only using your shovel to attack but also to dig up gold, and the items are not required but help majorly and are tons of fun to use. Expand
  2. Feb 3, 2015
    This game does everything right. The platforming controls perfectly, the story is entertaining, the music is delicious, and it is an all-around perfectly put-together game. It is, without a doubt, the best indie game to date.
  3. Jun 16, 2015
    Shovel Knight is an amazing game, possibly the BEST on the E-Shop! After all, it is the best platform game on the E-Shop (in my opinion), not counting all the full games that are just downloads. The characters are memorable and creative, the soundtrack is INSANE and the gameplay is simply a perfect blend of DuckTales, Mega Man, Castlevania and Zelda II! Your Shovel is a surprisinglyShovel Knight is an amazing game, possibly the BEST on the E-Shop! After all, it is the best platform game on the E-Shop (in my opinion), not counting all the full games that are just downloads. The characters are memorable and creative, the soundtrack is INSANE and the gameplay is simply a perfect blend of DuckTales, Mega Man, Castlevania and Zelda II! Your Shovel is a surprisingly effective weapon for SK to use and the game's difficulty, in my opinion, makes it slightly veer on the side of difficult, but is still challenging and fun (it's certainly no Ragequit Game, FYI). The Village acts as an excellent hub for you to trade items and purchase powerups/upgrades, and as for the levels, well...

The levels are no exception to the creativity and nostalgia feel of Shovel Knight. Each one has a brilliant soundtrack, style and design, layout, and, importantly, Boss. The Boss Battles in this game are extremely good, but I feel that they could utilise the stage and its theme a little better. However, the boss battles are still something to look forward to at the end of each stage, and your hard work and hours spent digging in the dirt will have paid off.

Overall, Shovel Knight is a fabulous game, one of the best. It retains the feel of the NES/SNES Era almost perfectly, whilst using modern game design and ingenious yet practical programming methods to make a nostalgic, fast paced sidescroller which has surely launched the new Yacht Club Games' career into orbit!
  4. Jan 14, 2015
    Shovel Knight took what the gaming industry has learned about platforming over 30 years and created a game that is sure to please. The pixelated graphics are charming yet not overly simplistic relative to the time that the game is paying homage to. The 3D graphics look good and polished. The midi style music is different in each area and many are really catchy.

The controls are precise;

The controls are precise; it plays much like Megaman or Castlevania but the controls are responsive and far from clunky. Jumping off a ledge and onto a small moving platform requires little thought after a while as you always feel in control of your character. Granted, some players may not be used to the strange bouncing effect from landing a blow on an enemies/object below them, but the mechanic works great and it is very reminiscent of Scrooge's cane from Duck Tales.

Difficult spikes appear from time to time, but since you can upgrade your health and magic with treasure, most players who get stuck can replay a level to earn its spoils, level up and continue on. The game was a little more difficult that I am used to this day and age but I loved that it challenged me. Oftentimes the player can choose from 2 - 4 different levels to try in any order. This can often help with difficult areas.

The story is simple but it keeps the game flowing. The colorful and varied characters all bring the world of shovel knight to life. The towns even remind me of those seen in Zelda 2.

Shovel Knight has taken great inspiration from Megaman, Castlevania, Duck Tales, Zelda and many other franchises and yet the game still feels fresh. There are more than enough new idea to keep it from seeming like a clone or ripoff of another game.

Don't listen to the haters, this is a game that you have to pick up.
  5. Apr 22, 2015
    Shovel Knight is a game that is very hard to fault. It is clearly inspired by all the best bits of Retro-Gaming whilst pasting over the limitations and bad experiences by not limiting itself, reverently referential without being exclusive. The game is difficult enough to challenge players without being frustrating or unfair, and there is enough content to keep players going for a decentShovel Knight is a game that is very hard to fault. It is clearly inspired by all the best bits of Retro-Gaming whilst pasting over the limitations and bad experiences by not limiting itself, reverently referential without being exclusive. The game is difficult enough to challenge players without being frustrating or unfair, and there is enough content to keep players going for a decent chunk of time, with more DLC on the way to extend the already amazing experience. Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2016
    I don't know whether it's nostalgia or awe, but this 6 hour game was so joyful and nice to play that I'll tell everyone who's listening to play it.

Platforming - perfect. Boss battles - perfect. Presentation - beyond perfect. I even had some emotional investment in the game (Shield Knight) that was satisfyingly paid off.

PLAY THIS.
  7. Jul 15, 2014
    This a platformer that you MUST GET! Its so much fun and plays great on the Nintendo 3DS. In my opinion its a combination of Dark Souls II, Megaman, Zelda II, Ducktales and The Shoveler from Mystery Men. It's a stellar platformer that is challenging and everything feels like an accomplishment. Ex: I died a bunch of times and each time I got my gold back it felt wonderful. This is a hardThis a platformer that you MUST GET! Its so much fun and plays great on the Nintendo 3DS. In my opinion its a combination of Dark Souls II, Megaman, Zelda II, Ducktales and The Shoveler from Mystery Men. It's a stellar platformer that is challenging and everything feels like an accomplishment. Ex: I died a bunch of times and each time I got my gold back it felt wonderful. This is a hard game and needs a lot of time and devotion. It feels like an RPG. Maybe its a platformer RPG. You have to get this game. Its $14.99 on the eShop and on Steam. Shovel Knight gets a 9/10 Expand
  8. Aug 11, 2014
    This game is simply beautiful. The amazing chiptune soundtrack immediately transports you back in time, and the visuals perfectly capture the look and feel of the NES era. The game is heavily influenced by Mega Man, Duck Tales and other great classic games, but still manages to create its own unique identity that is dripping with charm and humor. It's difficult enough that it feelsThis game is simply beautiful. The amazing chiptune soundtrack immediately transports you back in time, and the visuals perfectly capture the look and feel of the NES era. The game is heavily influenced by Mega Man, Duck Tales and other great classic games, but still manages to create its own unique identity that is dripping with charm and humor. It's difficult enough that it feels rewarding, but with checkpoints that allow you to infinitely respawn and retry, does not become too frustrating. With plenty of NPCs to talk to, secrets to find, treasure to unearth and things to collect, I spent 10 hours on my first playthrough and look forward to doing it again on new game+ and seeing what I missed. Accomplishing some of the game's feats (such as finishing the game without dying or destroying all checkpoints) should provide a challenge for even the most hardcore players. I'm already satisfied with the game, but knowing that there are going to be free content updates that include playable bosses, gender swap, 4 player battle mode, and challenge mode, I'm even more excited for the future of this game. Expand
  9. Aug 25, 2014
    If you don't love this game, I want you out of my face, NOW.
    The music? Godlike.
    The gameplay? People who praised Mario had their brains blown out of their heads by it's awesomeness. The story? Simple and sweet. The graphics? You will unknowingly begin to look down upon any next gen game after experiencing this. All I really have to say is that Yacht Club Games made me feel like I
    If you don't love this game, I want you out of my face, NOW.
    The music? Godlike.
    The story? Simple and sweet.

All I really have to say is that Yacht Club Games made me feel like I was discovering buried treasure in real life.

AND ALL I DID WAS PRESS Y.
  10. Apr 30, 2015
    Shovel Knight
    A must Play For all
    Shovel Knight is a beautifully charming action platforming game. Shovel Knights art style screams nostalgia sale, but I was happy to find that this game isn’t just here to pull money out of your pockets with heart strings, Shovel Knight is it’s own game, an instant classic. Shovel knight consists of 12 main levels all with their own boss battles, each
    Shovel Knight
    A must Play For all
    Shovel Knight is a beautifully charming action platforming game.
    Shovel knight consists of 12 main levels all with their own boss battles, each level and stage getting progressively more challenging.
    The pacing is really some of the best ive ever seen in gaming.
    Every level has checkpoints, this may annoy the hardcore gamers at first, but you really come to appreciate them, platforming can get really trick for those of us that are impatient.
    These type of gamers are who the checkpoints are for, they are essentially training wheels.
    Shovel Knight is really more than just a flat forming game, it truly is an experience, and im happy these checkpoints exist so all can experience and guess what… checkpoints are COMPLETELY optional.
    Don’t like them?
    Break them, they drop cash so now you have nothing to complain about.
    I wouldn’t recommend doing such a thing your first time through as again, shovel knight gets increasingly challenging.
    Enemies will start throwing projectiles, youll have to dodge lava and spikes and look out for enemies while you seek out secrets.
    There are tons of secrets to be found in shovel knight that I wont spoil, but they add such a great deal of wonder to the game, you never know what youre going to find in a room you just uncovered from an exploding rat.
    It could be a music page for you to sell in the villiage, or a new relic waiting for you to grab to help you out through the rest of the game.
    I wasn’t expecting relics, but im so happy they exist, these relics all cost magic to use so cant really be spammed, but they are all varied and make you look at levels for better, more efficient ways to traverse them.
    You can also save your gold for armour and shovel upgrades, maybe increased magic or meal tickets to increase your health, the choice is yours, but unless youre completely confident in your skills walking into an unknown area you better make that choice before going back out, because every time you die you drop 3 pouches of gold much like in the souls series.
    If you want that gold back youre going to have to go grab it, if you die on your way back then its gone forever..
    The risk reward makes traversing these gorgeous levels even more enjoyable.
    Not only did this development team due a great job with level design and enemies, but also with bosses.
    Each boss has its own attack style, so no 2 relics will be equally handy in these encounters, gratefully though, they all die the same way, hit them an x amount of times.
    Games can get in the habit of making bosses a little too unique, what shovel knight does so great is make the encounters similar enough to give you a sense of pride and feeling like you used skill to defeat a new enemy rather than you just got completely lucky.
    It isn’t common to die during your first encounter with a new boss and that is so refreshing.
    I wont get into story all too much, but I will say that it is there, there is reason to the madness and it, at least to me is beautiful.
    After you’ve completed the game and have picked every level apart for its secrets and treasures, you have the option to start a new game +.
    New game plus lets you start from the beginning with everything you collected in your previous play through, but this time levels are a little tougher as youll notice some checkpoints are missing, enemies do double damage, and there are no health pick ups.
    There are tons of challenging feats to accomplish in shovel knight.
    Totally worth the playthrough just to experience, a highly recommended game title to both casual and hardcore gamers alike.
    I truly believe that everyone can find something to love about shovel knight.
    For what it is
    Action platformer 10/10
    and as an overall game my first ever 10/10
  11. NPC
    Nov 16, 2014
    This is probably the best game of 2014 so far. It plays homage to retro games while still feeling like it's own game, the controls are incredibly tight and responsive and every death feels like your own fault, the level design is simply genius, the graphics (especially on the 3DS version) and music are spectacular, and even the story is very heartfelt. The 3DS version has a streetpassThis is probably the best game of 2014 so far. It plays homage to retro games while still feeling like it's own game, the controls are incredibly tight and responsive and every death feels like your own fault, the level design is simply genius, the graphics (especially on the 3DS version) and music are spectacular, and even the story is very heartfelt. The 3DS version has a streetpass feature that seems shallow at first glance, but I found it to be very entertaining! The 3D visuals are great, but really, who actually uses those? The biggest advantage this version has over the others is the most obvious: portability. It's great to be able to play this game on the go, and I think this is the definitive version of one of the best games I've played in years. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2015
    This is my favorite video game of all time! Awesome boss fights! A difficult game (especially Propeller Knight) but a "fair difficult". I love the "Hall of Champions" and clearing all the ghosts - I also like the portraits of the Kickstart backers. Also love the relics earned by discovering secrets in levels. Here's a little secret: when you make it to the Tinker Knight boss fight,This is my favorite video game of all time! Awesome boss fights! A difficult game (especially Propeller Knight) but a "fair difficult". I love the "Hall of Champions" and clearing all the ghosts - I also like the portraits of the Kickstart backers. Also love the relics earned by discovering secrets in levels. Here's a little secret: when you make it to the Tinker Knight boss fight, use the "Wheel Relic" to defeat him with one hit! Expand
  13. Nov 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Shovel Knight is literally the perfect love letter to the NES era, feeling like the perfect blend of mario 3's overworld, megaman's powerups and bosses, zelda 2's towns, and castlevania's magic system, as well as the ability to bounce on your shovel akin to the pogo bounce in ducktales for the NES. The game itself still feels unique though and controls are as tight as expected from a retro style platformer. While I'm at it, the music is incredible too, well surpassing the technological limitations of 8 bit music on the NES due to increased processing power and spawning catchy tunes you'll find yourself humming for a long while after completion. Bosses are fun and varied, with only one (Sceptre Knight) being frustrating, but even he was easily beaten after a few attempts. Add to this a well polished upgrade system for armour and weapons, hundreds of cheats to mess around with, and a New Game "Plus" for when you finish the game in order to add increased difficulty, this game is amazing. I cannot recommend it any more, and the replay value is insane, especially for you completionists and speedrunners.

Only gripe with the game? It's a little short, running in at between 3-5 hours if you're experienced, and 5-10 if inexperienced with the genre, but this should not discourage you as the package you receive with Shovel Knight feels complete right from the start and is well worth your time and money.

14. Jun 30, 2014
    I didn't grow up with the original Nintendo. Looking back, without those nostalgia shades, there are parts of those games that feel clunky and just not as good as games today. However, there is a certain charm to the simplicity of those games.

Shovel Knight is a modern NES game. It takes the best parts of a variety of 8-bit games, and the features expected of a game today, and combines them into something amazing. The Mega Man boss fights, Mario 3 over-world, and Duck Tales bounce physics just to name a few major ones. It's a must have for NES veterans and younger gamers.
  15. Jun 28, 2014
    Having missed the era of NES and SNES games, it's simply impossible for this game to impress me on nostalgia alone; it's just damn good.

I've been with the YCG Kickstarter of this game since the beginning, and the developers showed their passion for this game as both it's own entity and as a homage to the games of their childhood. Not only is the result a game people want to play again and again, but it's an experience the team would have wanted to play some 20-ish years ago as well.

The gameplay is simple, and allows for epic game design where every screen is a new challenge that feels immensely satisfying to conquer. Armor and weapon (shovel) are upgrade-able, and acquired money can be spent on additional weapons or tools for added variety. The humour throughout, is also incredibly appreciated, as well as the secrets lying about in every stage/village that sometimes require a little re-visiting.

Checkpoints are added just enough to extremely helpful, but not too far to allow a cakewalk, and for platforming veterans that find it too easy, the checkpoints can also be destroyed to yield extra treasure (if you're confident you won't be needing it). While getting to a tricky part may mean losing a bunch of cash upon each death, the cash bags are retrievable, and cash is generally easy to come by.

The music is glorious. Each stage, boss fight, and village area has it's own accompaniment, lovingly put together by Jake Kaufman. You may often find yourself humming these retro masterpieces as you play, filling the adventure with the necessary emotion, be it spooky, sorrowful, or exciting. The soundtrack is available for download on Bandcamp for a "name your price" model if you wish to, or wish not to, pay back this amazing composer (I really do implore you to donate).

The game will also be receiving FREE DLC updates in the future for it's Kickstarter Stretch Goals, that includes playable Bosses (each with their own respective storyline), Battlemode, and etc, all view-able on their Kickstarter page.

Do not mistake this game for those "retro" indies, that are only "NES-inspired" because of lack of time/effort. The story for this game is high-caliber, the character designs are spiffy and indicative of their environments and fighting styles, the 3DS' hardware is used for Streetpass features and tasteful stereoscopic 3D, and also... the game is just a whole bunch of fun. The New Game + mode and additional save slots can justly accommodate a ton of playtime after one playthrough, and you will certainly take advantage of it.

Even while I consider myself a baby at platforming and was often a little frustrated with certain segments, it made for a very rewarding experience on completion, and I have absolutely no problems with the game.

This is a game that restores my faith in the video game industry. At a time where graphics must be so good that you can see goosebumps on people's skin, here's a game that proves you can deliver a perfect gaming experience at a fraction of the cost. If you love 2D platformers like Megaman or Castlevania, or even if you missed out on them (like me), I would highly suggest you try this game. ALL HAIL THE TROUPPLE KING!
  16. Jun 26, 2014
    How can you make a 8 bit game look modern ? How to use the best design practices today while maintaining the same "retro" fell of a old Mega Man game?

Shovel Knight is the answer. It's a game that can be appreciated by it's own, not only by nostalgia.The levels are fun, well balanced, and rewarding. The presentation (the 3D on this version is fantastic), music and dialogues are very

Shovel Knight is the answer.

It's a game that can be appreciated by it's own, not only by nostalgia.The levels are fun, well balanced, and rewarding. The presentation (the 3D on this version is fantastic), music and dialogues are very well made.
  17. Jun 29, 2014
    Shovel Knight is the type of game that comes once every 20 years or so. The last time I played a game which was able to invoke such awestruck wonder and emotion from me was back in the early '90s when I played Mega Man 3 for the first time. This game is what we would call a masterpiece. A masterpiece that will certainly be talked about decades from now, as titles such as Mega Man 1-3,Shovel Knight is the type of game that comes once every 20 years or so. The last time I played a game which was able to invoke such awestruck wonder and emotion from me was back in the early '90s when I played Mega Man 3 for the first time. This game is what we would call a masterpiece. A masterpiece that will certainly be talked about decades from now, as titles such as Mega Man 1-3, Super Mario World and Zelda A Link to the Past are talked about today. Not only does Shovel Knight exceed all expectations, it actually manages to go toe to toe with the Capcom and Nintendo classics of old. Had this game released back in the late '80s or early '90s, it would most likely be regarded as one of the greatest video games of the retro era. What more can I say?

NOTE: I found the 3D effect of the 3DS version really elevated the game above its Wii U and PC counterparts. All are perfect 10's in my book, but if I had to choose one platform, 3DS would be it.
  18. Dec 11, 2014
    It is a mostly solid game and certainly welcome to any console it is on, though younger players who did not grow up with the NES or SNES will most likely find this game lacking. Though this game does know what goes into making a good platformer. There is just a few problems here and there which will likely bog down your shoveling adventures. For instance the bosses and most of your enemiesIt is a mostly solid game and certainly welcome to any console it is on, though younger players who did not grow up with the NES or SNES will most likely find this game lacking. Though this game does know what goes into making a good platformer. There is just a few problems here and there which will likely bog down your shoveling adventures. For instance the bosses and most of your enemies in general will move to fast for you to catch and destroy. The momentum system is slightly wonky and sometimes is slightly sluggish, though in regular play it is not much of a concern. It is when a boss battle is reached where it becomes a problem as many bosses move so fast there are times where you may think you can barely reach them to attack at all. But don't threat, you do have all the continues you would want at the expense of some in game currency. But the level design is solid, it succeeds in it's NES style graphics (Though not the best looking Eshop game), and you may even get some giggles from some of the dialogue. Though not the best 3DS Eshop game, it certainly holds up well for the more hardcore gamers it's targeted for, though more casual gamers may be disappointed. Its a mostly solid game, though may relay to much on nostalgia at times Expand
  19. Jun 27, 2014
    This is coming from someone who doesn't like retro games. My theory has always been what in the past should remain in the past. With that said, something about the way this game looked from the very beginning caught my eye. From the character design to the weapon of choice!

Now having played it I can clearly say this is what a great nes game should play like. This is the modern way to do retro gaming imo and I hope everyone else takes notes here and follows suit.

Great game that everyone retro or modern gaming fan should try for themselves.

This is truly a love letter from a company that loves the Times gone by!
  20. Jun 28, 2014
    Shovel Knight is what you would get if you put beloved NES classics like Super Mario Bros 3, Megaman 2, Castlevania, Zelda 2 and Ducktales in a blender. The biggest strength of Shovel Knight is that it plays like a love letter to these NES games, but is a completely unique game unto itself. The basic concept is nothing new, its a retro styled 8 bit platformer with some interesting newShovel Knight is what you would get if you put beloved NES classics like Super Mario Bros 3, Megaman 2, Castlevania, Zelda 2 and Ducktales in a blender. The biggest strength of Shovel Knight is that it plays like a love letter to these NES games, but is a completely unique game unto itself. The basic concept is nothing new, its a retro styled 8 bit platformer with some interesting new elements thrown in to the classic formula. As you may have guessed, Shovel Knight carries around a shovel. This shovel takes center stage here. You use the shovel to dig up treasure, to attack and to perform jumps in the style of Ducktales. Unlike Mario or other platformers, you can't attack enemies by just jumping on them, you have to press down, which takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it, a whole new world of platforming ideas opens up. The game revolves around a Super Mario Bros 3 style overworld, complete with mini boss battles happening in between levels on the map. Each level has a unique theme and boss, akin to Megaman 2 and you get to explore a village, much like in Zelda 2. In this village, you can buy items that equate to spells or magical powers, health and Magic upgrades, and talk to the locals. The actual platforming is an awesome mixture of Megaman, Castlevania, and Ducktales. The game revolves around finding treasure, whether it be by digging it up, by finding it in hidden chests, or by killing enemies. The game has a unique checkpoint system. You can either just walk by the checkpoint so you will return to it when you die like normal, or you can destroy the checkpoint. Destroying the checkpoint will net you some extra treasure, but at the cost of possibly having to start further back when you die. Its a great risk-reward system that also essentially allows you to alter how "Hardcore" the game is. The boss battles are reminiscent of megaman 2. Each boss is unique and challenging, each bringing a new pattern and element to the battle. The graphics, or rather the visuals are very aesthetically pleasing with a great 8 bit art style that really pops with the 3d on. The game's soundtrack is phenomenal, evoking the music of the 8 bit platformers it borrows many other elements from. The game also boasts new game +, which changes up some elements of the levels upon your second play through. There are aren't really any things I can say that the game doesn't do right, but there's only a handful of games I'd give a 10/10 to. The game is fairly short, (around 5 to 8 hours) but it has tons of replay value and it's a 15$ indie title, so that's to be expected. The game is well designed, it looks great, there's plenty of secrets to find and the sound design is solid. Overall, Shovel Knight brings you back to a simpler time when games couldn't use fancy HD graphics, huge open worlds or movie imitating cut scenes to cover up lackluster gameplay. Even if you don't have nostalgia for the 8 bit games of the past, if you are a fan of platformers in general, you 'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip this game on whatever your preferred platform is. Expand
  21. Sep 10, 2014
    This is a 10/10. This game takes nothing away from old-school classics but pays homage to them in such a glorious way. Levels/bosses like Megaman, an over world like Mario 3, and a RPG element like Zelda II, makes Shovel Knight one of the best Retro games of all time. No matter how you feel, pick this up to just listen to the music and let it take you back to the past of early 8-bitThis is a 10/10. This game takes nothing away from old-school classics but pays homage to them in such a glorious way. Levels/bosses like Megaman, an over world like Mario 3, and a RPG element like Zelda II, makes Shovel Knight one of the best Retro games of all time. No matter how you feel, pick this up to just listen to the music and let it take you back to the past of early 8-bit tunes that rock your world. Enjoy! I know I did. Expand
  22. Apr 30, 2015
    This game is amazing, great music, polished graphics, and tight responsive controls and great level design to boot. As for what I don't like, there's the fact that the game is really hard (Probably from my lack of skill at 2D Platformers.) and... and ummmmm I can't think of anything else.
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    This is an incredible game that respects and recreates the fundamentals of gaming's roots. It draws its aspirations from Zelda 2, Megaman, Mario 3, and Ducktales, but has so many creative concepts to form its own identity.

The environments and characters have so much detail and personality to them, it's suprising and fresh to see that level of detail in an NES 8-bit styled game. Mostly because it treats its genre (8-bit retro game) with the utmost respect and seriousness. There's no stupid gimmicks or references or winks to remind the player they're playing an 8-bit NES style game: the style is used to deliver a genuine oldschool experience with a straight face and the best of intentions.

The music is amazing, catchy, and fits each theme very well. Jake Kaufman is a brilliant composer and his experience truly shines here, as it has when creating/remixing music for other games he's worked on (Contra 4, Ducktales Remastered, Shantae, etc).

The challenge has the perfect gradual shift throughout the entire game. It starts off normal enough, then consistently increases in challenge until the very end. While you can improve Shovel Knight with new upgrades and abilities, as the player you will feel your own skill increase as you become familiar with how Shovel Knight handles ingame and learn to use him and his abilities much more efficiently. It's a magical learning curve that I haven't experienced since having played games from the golden age when I was a kid back in the 90's.

Regardless of what console you purchase this on, it is a fantastic game in its own right, and provides an incredibly genuine experience and challenge that so many games are lacking nowadays. Perfect 10 out of 10.
  24. Jul 8, 2014
    Shovel Knight borrows and improves upon some of the most iconic games from the 8-bit era of gaming, such as Mega Man, Castlevania, and Mario Bros. 3. The control is flawless. The music and sound effects are reminiscent of the golden age of Mega Man. The art is beautiful. The gameplay is fantastic. It rewards you for your curiosity and the game design tutors you on how to play withoutShovel Knight borrows and improves upon some of the most iconic games from the 8-bit era of gaming, such as Mega Man, Castlevania, and Mario Bros. 3. The control is flawless. The music and sound effects are reminiscent of the golden age of Mega Man. The art is beautiful. The gameplay is fantastic. It rewards you for your curiosity and the game design tutors you on how to play without bashing you over the head with tutorial dialogue. This is one of the best games released in some time and one of the top games on the 3DS. Expand
  25. Jan 17, 2015
    I've now completed the game and have to lower my score for this game from 3/10 to 2/10.

Some, but not all, of the problems with this game are: 1. Trial and Error is the only way to beat some of the later levels. 2. Clunky controlls, especially for selecting spells on the fly. 3. All bosses can be killed with the same strategy. 4. It doesn't matter if you are a good or bad player,

Some, but not all, of the problems with this game are:
    1. Trial and Error is the only way to beat some of the later levels.
    2. Clunky controlls, especially for selecting spells on the fly.
    3. All bosses can be killed with the same strategy.
    4. It doesn't matter if you are a good or bad player, having good mechanical skill will only hinder you.
    5. Only 4 of the spells are useful.
    6. Only 1 of the armors are useful.
    7. Only 2 of the unlockable Abilities/Attacks are useful.
    8. The bosses are the easiest part of the game because of the horrible level design.

Pros:
    1. It has a nice story, but it's predictable and short.

Conclusion:
    Would not recommend.
  26. Mar 28, 2015
    Terribly dated and simple plattformer in NES technique, with a frustratingly high difficulty.
    After having tried to like this game for about 20 hours, i cannot recommend this game.
  27. Apr 24, 2015
    A well designed love letter to videogames past, this is not without its flaws. The graphics, music and simple controls certainly remind us of the classic NES era, but there is something missing in the level design that detracts from the overall feeling.

The fact you can't die, whilst initially seeming to remove any real difficulty from the game, serves to aid progression particularly in a handheld title which needs to be playable in short bursts. The method employed here that sees bags of your collected loot left at the scene of death is similar to Dark Souls in that you must return to the same screen within your next attempt to reclaim the treasure, or lose it forever, lowering your all important score. This adds some replayability to the levels as you chase the high score.

The game mechanics themselves are solid, but the levels are the only weak point. Simple to navigate, with boss fights basically all requiring the same tactic there is room for improvement. This shouldn't affect your overall enjoyment though, this is still very much an enjoyable game with a special character of it's own.

On a side note, this also makes very good use of the 3DS screen - the 3D effect adding nice depth to the side scrolling levels.
  28. Jan 2, 2015
    A zero?Really ?That's just stupid.There always has to be an idiot to score it low.God himself could make a perfect game and some jagoff would give it a zero.These are the same idiots that think dj's are musicians.I know there are some cool kids out there but this generation has robbed all ideas from previous generations.Maybe that's why they could spot talent if it stood in front ofA zero?Really ?That's just stupid.There always has to be an idiot to score it low.God himself could make a perfect game and some jagoff would give it a zero.These are the same idiots that think dj's are musicians.I know there are some cool kids out there but this generation has robbed all ideas from previous generations.Maybe that's why they could spot talent if it stood in front of them.Now Google that! Expand
  29. Oct 7, 2014
    Gotta love it. It really kind of reminds me of Mega Man 6. It gets so many things right. With Yacht Club games to their first game as good as it is, the next game, whether its a sequel or an entirely new game, will be a game to be held with high expectations.
  30. Oct 12, 2014
    One of the best platformers I have ever played, tight as **** the music is orgasmic, gameplay is original, everything is there. Get it **** or else you will be seriously missing out.
  31. Nov 12, 2014
    I funded this on kickstarter. Great retro platformer. If you enjoy the classics, I highly recommend this game. My only complaint is the attack feels short, and often times I felt I should have hit an enemy only to miss by a few pixels. Overall the gameplay is excellent. There's enough challenging setups and interesting enemies.
  32. Jun 5, 2015
    It's a good.
    The platforming is good
    The story is good
    The bad guys are bad,but good
    It being on the 3ds is good
    The main hero is good, but good
    The good stuff is good, the goodness shines through because it's a good.
    my ratings
    graphics: Good/10
    Story:Good/10
    controls:Good/10
    not being good: terrible/10
    all in all a solid 7/10 game
  33. May 5, 2016
    Megaman-esque in its levels and in its boss fights. Having as many lives as you need, coupled with a generous checkpoint system, keeps even irritating levels from becoming too frustrating. Boss fights generally involve dodging attacks then squeezing in a bounce or two on their head with your shovel.

The NPCs of the game world are charming, and a few offer the useful services of letting you power up your character or selling you items (which equate to new moves for your character).

For those who've been jonesing for more Megaman, you'll probably love this game. For those who've had enough Megaman already, this will be fun but far from groundbreaking. And the last level may get annoying enough that you lose your desire to see it through.

Finally...I think I paid about $10 for this game. My 6/10 score factors in how much it felt it was worth the money; if I'd paid more like $5-$6 for the game, I would have scored it 7/10, I think. I don't want to pay up for challenge levels, BGM collecting or for 'replayability, if you want it' (which I did not).
  34. Apr 15, 2019
    Shovel Knight has received fairly universal critical acclaim, and not unduly - its mechanics are near-flawless, its music is excellent and its characters are surprisingly endearing and well-designed for a game whose focus is more on gameplay than story. Having said that...

Repetition of perfection is not perfection. In fact, repetition dooms a game to always having to stand in the shadow of those that inspired it. Releasing an NES game today would be akin to trying to put out a calculator powered by air - the product could be amazing, but will seem obsolete in comparison to what is already available. And so, I believe that in refining so much of what worked about the best NES platformers of the days of yore, Shovel Knight would have been a masterpiece if it were released back then. Nowadays, it is a great platformer that is superior to most other games like it in today's day and age, but seems like a relic to me.

Despite my view of this game as being irrelevant in the modern age of gaming, Shovel Knight's music is so catchy, so undeniably perfect not only for what it is trying to be, but as standalone compositions, that whatever criticisms I have made towards Shovel Knight have nothing to do with its music. "Strike the Earth" is to Shovel Knight what "Central Highway" is to Mega Man X - the perfect musical backdrop to a nearly flawless introductory level. Despite it using the same limited chiptune soundtrack that many games of the NES era were forced to use due to a limited amount of data available, Shovel Knight takes what some (like myself) view as a limitation, and makes something extremely special.

Overall, Shovel Knight is an homage, not some cheap imitation - however, I think being a homage dooms it to being the best of its dated genre, rather than a game that deserves all the praise it has gotten. Admittedly, such an opinion puts me in the minority, but I believe such an opinion demands dissemination.
  35. Nov 9, 2015
    Amazing game!
    A must have for everyone who loves 8 bit platformer-type-games.
    The music is great, graphics are great and the overall feel of the game is like said, amazing!

It now has free DLC as well!
  36. Aug 1, 2015
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay:
    Shovel Knight is very reminiscent of older titles such as Mega Man, Super Mario, and even the Zelda games on the game boy in some instances. It's a side-scrolling adventure game that requires a lot of precision and timing. It's a challenging game, especially on New Game Plus mode. That's the best thing about this game: the difficulty. It doesn't hold your hand or give you hints and respects you as a gamer. It's up to your patience, perseverance, skill level, and timing to complete this game.

Story:
    Shovel Knight's story is very shallow and cliché, but it's not too big of a deal since it's not a focal point of the game. However, I was disappointed with the fact that the characters didn't feel lively at all and felt one-dimensional.

Graphics:
    Just as I stated earlier in the review, it's very reminiscent of the 8-bit era. This looks and feels as if it came from straight from the 8-bit era and should be applauded for capturing the essence of the time period. I enjoyed the character and boss designs. They were elaborate and creative. The color scheme used on the levels were vibrant and went well with the style of the game.

Verdict:
    I definitely recommend this game! This game is a unique experience in today's era of gaming; bringing back the NES-style gameplay, art direction, and difficulty. Not to mention the fact the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in the past few years. This game deserves the praise and should be played by old and new gamers alike.
  37. Apr 8, 2019
    First and foremost: you should play Shovel Knight. If the Nintendo 3DS is your console of choice, you'll enjoy platform-exclusive stereoscopic 3D -- which looks REALLY good here -- and a sort of time-shifted one-on-one battle mode that takes advantage of StreetPass. Everything else you've read and heard about Shovel Knight is true -- it's not simply one of the best indie games of the lastFirst and foremost: you should play Shovel Knight. If the Nintendo 3DS is your console of choice, you'll enjoy platform-exclusive stereoscopic 3D -- which looks REALLY good here -- and a sort of time-shifted one-on-one battle mode that takes advantage of StreetPass. Everything else you've read and heard about Shovel Knight is true -- it's not simply one of the best indie games of the last decade, it's among the best games of this generation in any genre. Expand
  38. Feb 13, 2016
    Shovel Knight is an awesome throwback game to platformers from the 80's and early 90's. The game really entwines all the great concepts from classics like DuckTales, Super Mario Bros and Mega Man. At the same time though, they've made their own unique game that will capture any gamer in the spotlight and really take them home with a game that would surely be considered a great if it wereShovel Knight is an awesome throwback game to platformers from the 80's and early 90's. The game really entwines all the great concepts from classics like DuckTales, Super Mario Bros and Mega Man. At the same time though, they've made their own unique game that will capture any gamer in the spotlight and really take them home with a game that would surely be considered a great if it were released back in the 80's on the NES. Expand
  39. Aug 5, 2015
    Shovel Knight is has become one of my favorite games of all time. Tight controls, fast 2D action, and great, energetic, blood pumping music, Shovel Knight is one of the greatest indie games I have ever played. Yes there are a few flaws. Some of the levels feel way too long for a normal platformer, and some parts of the game feel a little cheap. But other than that Shovel Knight is a greatShovel Knight is has become one of my favorite games of all time. Tight controls, fast 2D action, and great, energetic, blood pumping music, Shovel Knight is one of the greatest indie games I have ever played. Yes there are a few flaws. Some of the levels feel way too long for a normal platformer, and some parts of the game feel a little cheap. But other than that Shovel Knight is a great game, and its triumphs overcome its flaws. You can get it on nearly any console or on a PC, go buy it. Expand
  40. Sep 9, 2015
    Shovel Knight:
    PRO:
    -perfect level design -precise platforming -simple but nice story -for 8 bit game nice graphics -10/10 soundtrack really good -challenging bosses -different enemies with nice move-sets -the secrets keep you observent of the world around you -excellent controls -fun gameplay CONS: -some items are over-kill -little problems with A.I. -not many towns, only
    Shovel Knight:
    PRO:
    -perfect level design
    -precise platforming
    -simple but nice story
    -for 8 bit game nice graphics
    -10/10 soundtrack really good
    -challenging bosses
    -different enemies with nice move-sets
    -the secrets keep you observent of the world around you
    -excellent controls
    -fun gameplay

CONS:
    -some items are over-kill
    -little problems with A.I.
    -not many towns, only two
    -you get upgrades for your shovel in one town, it would be nice if you could get upgrades after bosses or the casual appering mini-bosses in the map, this causes a incredible growth of the character, and then there is nothing to strike for, maybe a new armor ( at that point you have a **** ton of money to unlock all the upgrades )

CONCLUSION:
    Yact Club Games crafted an amazing platformer, that i played 3 times, really fun and must play game, and this game proof that some times indie games are better then some AAA games

P.S This was not a personal opinion, but a objective criticism
  41. Oct 6, 2015
    this is a game I love to death it's fun it's addictive and tuff but in a fun way ( excerpt for plege knight)plus it's on the go super awesome game for 15 dollors it's worth every cent
  42. Mar 22, 2017
  43. Jun 23, 2016
    Over all the systems you can get Shovel Knight in, get it on the Nintendo 3DS. It's something a gamer cannot miss especially if you want to venture around with a knight that uses a shovel.
  44. Feb 6, 2016
    This is the game that topped many a "Top Ten Games of the Year" list back in 2014, and it's easy to see why. It controls perfectly, the music is great and the 16-bit graphic-style (which is officially a style now) is used to its greatest potential. This is my second favorite 2D platformer of all time, second only to Megaman X. But it's not without its problems, people give the a little tooThis is the game that topped many a "Top Ten Games of the Year" list back in 2014, and it's easy to see why. It controls perfectly, the music is great and the 16-bit graphic-style (which is officially a style now) is used to its greatest potential. This is my second favorite 2D platformer of all time, second only to Megaman X. But it's not without its problems, people give the a little too much credit. People like to say the game is perfectly fair, with no way to die at no fault of your own. That's not true, but what little unfair design there is exists mostly in the optional stages.

Buy this game. Play it. You will not regret it.
  45. Mar 21, 2016
    Shovel Knight goes back to the days of the SNES. The controls are precise, the level design is clever, and the story is simple and easily digestible for how small the game is. The game may only take roughly 6 hours, but it is 6 hours well spent. There are already countless reviews so I doubt you need me to repeat what everyone has said so instead I'll say what I don't like.

-A few of

-A few of the bosses are very underwhelming. Though most of the bosses give you a great challenge, a few fell like tougher versions of normal enemies and they stand out more than the exceptional bosses because they feel so lazy.

-Replay value is meh. Some may be entirely happy to replay the game with harder hitting enemies and this is fine, but there is no real incentive to play new game + unless you want the reward, which is just a check on the the completionist list that the game lays out for you as extra challenges.

-The side content is meh. You have your multiplayer... thing. Some kind of competition as far as I can tell. I've tried to understand how it works, but no one I street pass has played the multiplayer so... The extra content also is just finding music sheets for a bard in town so you can listen to whatever track from the game you want when you visit town.

These are just nitpicks though, but some to consider nonetheless.
    Shovel Night is a Great Game
  46. Apr 4, 2016
    I really enjoyed playing this game, but I thought the bosses were a little too difficult. Typically, I'd be playing this with TV, dogs, etc going on in the background and focusing (and dying) on a boss fight for 15 minutes was annoying. Adding a difficulty option seems like a good idea for those who want a more casual experience.

That said, everything else about the game is just amazing.
  47. May 24, 2016
    Sin lugar a dudas uno de los mejores indies que he jugado, con controles perfectos, estética original, música impecable, jefes memorables y con un alto grado de rejugabilidad "Shovel Knight" se ganó un espacio en mi corazón y un obligatorio para cualquier gamer que haya vivido la época de 8 bit.
    El juego es un plataforma/aventura inspirado en Ducktales, Mega Man y Zelda II, encarnas a el Shovel Kinght un caza recompensas retirado por la perdida de su compañera, y amada, Shield Knight en la Torre del Destino. Todo inicia cuando la villana al poder The Enchantress quiebra el sello de la Torre del Destino y le deja abierta la posibilidad a Shovel Knight de poder rescatar a su pareja.
    Se siente muy bien jugar "Shovel Kinght", los controles son precisos por lo que te hacen responsable de cada muerte que sufras en el juego, cosa que puede suceder bastante porque la curva de dificultad es alta. Dentro del juego se podrá hallar carios coleccionables y armas secundarias que permitirán facilitar y variar el estilo de combate del caballero.
    En general es un juego perfecto, no hay defecto que me obligue a reducirl el puntaje que merece, todo un 10/10.
  48. Apr 15, 2016
    Sencillamente buenísimo tanto para los nostálgicos como para los que no. Muchos secretillos y duración perfecta. No es demasiado duro pero está lejos de ser super difícil. Banda sonora BRUTAL, poco más que decir.
  49. Aug 21, 2016
    Shovel Knight is a great game. Period.

This game does almost everything perfect. Controls are precise, you learn them intuitively, without any prompt as it should be. The mechanics are perfectly though and the game is very very well polished. It's really easy to point what is good with this game, so I'll point what I didn't like, because it's way faster. - Game relies heavily on
    Shovel Knight is a great game. Period.

- Game relies heavily on well established classics. To sum up, this game is Megaman + Super Mario Bros 3 + Ducktales. It's really well done but I feel it doesn't have anything on his own, it doesn't innovate (talking about base game, not DLC)
    - Abuse of cheap one-hit deaths by spikes. Also abuse of enemies that remove the floor, which ends in one-hit kills too. At the end of the day, in most bosses the player's Life bar doesn't mean anything as they'll mostly die falling or by a spike.
    - The kickstarter elements (extra bosses, the castle of portraits) are "shoved in" without any type of theming, they seem very out of place and don't add any value.
    - Items make the game very very easy. More in the 3DS version where you have them a tap away. You can cheese the game with the invulnerability item, which on top of all you get very early on.
  50. Oct 18, 2016
    I loved this game, and even though it's really difficult (especially in the latter levels) it was so fun to play through and the new game + is awesomely challenging. I'm still trying to beat all the challenges in challenge mode. I diffidently recommend this game
  51. Feb 2, 2017
    Este videojuego asimila las mejores mecánicas de los mejores juegos del NES y las depura a un nivel increíble. Ofrece un nivel de dificultad considerable; sin embargo, todo se te enseña mediante el lenguaje visual, no una caja de texto tediosa. Cada vez que cometes un error, Shove Knight te hace sentir que fue tu culpa. Éste es indudablemente el mejor videojuego independiente que heEste videojuego asimila las mejores mecánicas de los mejores juegos del NES y las depura a un nivel increíble. Ofrece un nivel de dificultad considerable; sin embargo, todo se te enseña mediante el lenguaje visual, no una caja de texto tediosa. Cada vez que cometes un error, Shove Knight te hace sentir que fue tu culpa. Éste es indudablemente el mejor videojuego independiente que he jugado, y también el mejor plataformero. Expand
  52. Jan 30, 2017
    I made an account just to review this game. I bought the title when it first came out and absolutely loved every second of it. From a design standpoint this game pays omage to the best retro games of the past using a restrictive yet enhanced color pallette compared to the 8-bit NES. The chip-tune soundtrack by the notorious Jake Kaufman is infectious and wonderfully crafted. The gameI made an account just to review this game. I bought the title when it first came out and absolutely loved every second of it. From a design standpoint this game pays omage to the best retro games of the past using a restrictive yet enhanced color pallette compared to the 8-bit NES. The chip-tune soundtrack by the notorious Jake Kaufman is infectious and wonderfully crafted. The game borrows elements of the best games of the past, like Mega Man style bosses and abilities and Duck Hunt like pogo abilities with Shovel Knight for example and fuses them together in a feat of alchemical magic. The amount of DLC that has come out with Plague Knight and the forthcoming Specter Knight shows the dedication of this developer to the game and the gamers. They have gone above & beyond to make Shovel Knight an amazing experience on any platform it's played on. The game offers perfectly balanced challenging stages that take time to master but reward attention to detail. When you finish a stage you feel a rush of satisfaction. The game doesn't overstay it's welcome with too many stages but offers a fair amount of collectable items like music sheets, cipher coins, and treasure that make going back fun. There is also a challenge mode that is short mini-game style challenges that make you play the game in a new way using your instincts. I could go on and on about how incredible this whole package is. I came to the metacritic page and saw that one person had just given it a totally brutal and unfair review so I felt compelled to tip the scales back to the perfect 10 this game deserves. For Shovelry! Expand
  53. Feb 11, 2018
    The best 2D platformer to come out since Super Mario World and MegamanX. Probably the best platformer full stop. Amazing soundtrack, adorable 8-bit-ish artstyle(certain colors and parallax scrolling would definitely not be found on an NES cartridge), fluid controls, and a plucky characters all make for a beautiful gaming experience. It's not expensive, it's relatively short, and it'sThe best 2D platformer to come out since Super Mario World and MegamanX. Probably the best platformer full stop. Amazing soundtrack, adorable 8-bit-ish artstyle(certain colors and parallax scrolling would definitely not be found on an NES cartridge), fluid controls, and a plucky characters all make for a beautiful gaming experience. It's not expensive, it's relatively short, and it's heartily recommended. Expand
  54. Oct 31, 2018
    Игра интересная но достаточно сложная. Но гемплей, боссы и уровни сделаны идеально.
  55. Mar 7, 2019
    azazlo best youtuber guy ever trust me, azazlo best youtuber guy ever trust me, azazlo best youtuber guy ever trust me
  56. Mar 7, 2019
  57. Jul 31, 2019
    An amazing platformer! Especially those who experienced games in 90's, absolutely NEEDS to play this gem. With its beautiful art-style and charming theme, Shovel Knight is a unique game, where every player from every age needs to experience. More than enough for the 3DS, keeping this game in your pocket and play it whenever wherever you want is delightful! If you haven't, play this game asAn amazing platformer! Especially those who experienced games in 90's, absolutely NEEDS to play this gem. With its beautiful art-style and charming theme, Shovel Knight is a unique game, where every player from every age needs to experience. More than enough for the 3DS, keeping this game in your pocket and play it whenever wherever you want is delightful! If you haven't, play this game as soon as possible! Expand
  58. Sep 17, 2019
    A very fun twist on the retro artstyle. If you like platformers, you have to play this game.
  59. May 2, 2020
    Shovel Knight is a fantastic game! The gameplay is enjoyable and similar to the iconic NES platformers from the 80s, it looks good, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing! I also like the cheat codes. However, I do have one flaw about the game that holds it back from perfection. The flaw is that I think that this game is a bit too easy. Not to the point where the game is not enjoyable,Shovel Knight is a fantastic game! The gameplay is enjoyable and similar to the iconic NES platformers from the 80s, it looks good, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing! I also like the cheat codes. However, I do have one flaw about the game that holds it back from perfection. The flaw is that I think that this game is a bit too easy. Not to the point where the game is not enjoyable, though. All in all, this game is fantastic and perfect for anyone who loves NES platformers from the 80s. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 4, 2014
    The portable version Shovel Knight is in any ways as good as the others, even better as the both the graphics and the mechanics works perfect on a small screen. On the negavition side there are some badly designed levels and to many trial and error moments, but for the most part Shovel Knight is a good reminder that games were a bit more rewarding back in the days.
  2. Nov 24, 2014
    Shovel Knight is a little gem of an indie game, perfectly suited for short bursts of play and extremely enjoyable for both the veterans (who will shed joy tears) and the newcomers looking for a challenge on their 3DS.
  3. Nov 14, 2014
    Shovel Knight is the ultimate retro game. It takes all the good parts of old classics and improves on it with current technology. Truly a joy to play.