tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Sep 4, 2019
    Utterly outstanding. I didn’t think this kind of game could be played with touchscreen controls but the experience on my iPhone XS is almost seamless from the start - the only minor hitch (accidentally grabbing chains) was rare at the start and non-existent after a few minutes of practice.

Obviously if you have a controller you do have a small advantage, but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s a requirement for decent runs. Not one of my (countless) deaths owes to the controls.

Beyond that, the game itself is obscenely good. Everything is so meticulously balanced and well-thought out - the randomness that keeps play-throughs varied is guided in all the right ways to make the experience fresh but still structured.

Weirdly, given that dying frequently is one of the core mechanics of the game, the overwhelming feeling is one of power. The game welcomes tactical play, but dissuades you from paranoid caution (without making it entirely off-limits). You *want* to run and move fast because it’s such a frenetic joy to do so, but the game doesn’t force you down that road.

I’ve poured in more than enough hours to have gotten my moneys worth, but I’ve still barely scratched the surface. It’s a triumph.

1. Sep 13, 2019
    It may sound like a copout, but it makes swords and daggers (and combat sandals) viable and maintains the sense of speed without having to repeatedly stab at the screen. It also supports MFI controllers for those preferring the original experience, and remains a defining and hugely addictive piece of entertainment.
  2. Sep 3, 2019
    So should you buy Dead Cells on mobile? That ultimately depends on whether or not you have a controller. If you do, it’s a no brainer. This remains an absolutely fantastic metroidvania experience and having the ability to take it anywhere with you is a joy.
  3. Aug 29, 2019
    Is Dead Cells well suited to being a mobile game? Personally, I think so, but I would also love to see games like Stellaris or Mirror’s Edge on mobile as well. Generally speaking, if the thought of using a controller to play a game on your iPhone or iPad is anathema, then this is almost certainly not the game for you. On the other hand, if that sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread and goat cheese, you’re in the right place at just the right time. But, regardless of platform or what controls you choose to use, there’s no question about it: Dead Cells is an amazing game, and anyone interested in rogue-lites would be well advised to give it a shot at their earliest convenience.