6.9

1. Nov 23, 2014
    It had it's moments, but being compared to To The Moon it's rather an averege game. Not as emotional, less fun, no plot. I took liking to music, I liked the fight with teachers, but I enjoyed it far less than To the Moon.
  2. Apr 11, 2015
    Game: A Bird Story
    Genre: Point and Click Adventure
    Developer: Freedbird Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 62/100 Value Score: 6.2/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 5/10 • Graphics: 7/10 • Sound: 7/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 2/10 • Replay Value: 2/10 • Player Value: 5/10 Pros +A deep emotional story told without words pretty well. +Music fits
    Game: A Bird Story

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 2/10
    • Replay Value: 2/10
    • Player Value: 5/10

Pros
    +A deep emotional story told without words pretty well.
    +Music fits the mood and theme
    +Some music tracks from "To The Moon" are included
    +Backgrounds are well made and created by the developers themselves
    +Ability to re-play certain scenes from intro menu

Cons
    -Some slow down in the gameplay in some points - feels like it is a FPS drop but it is not.
    -No dialogue at all so this might turn some players off
    -Very short, only one hour of story content unlike To The Moon which was averaged at 4-5 hours
    -No replay value in terms of content
  3. Aug 29, 2015
    This is more like watching a narrative than playing a game. I tend to enjoy walking simulators (Dear Esther, Lifeless Planet) that let you explore a world and uncover a story as you go, but the extreme lack of interactivity from the player in A Bird Story made this game difficult to enjoy. I enjoyed To The Moon greatly, and that's what led me to this, but I mostly found myself justThis is more like watching a narrative than playing a game. I tend to enjoy walking simulators (Dear Esther, Lifeless Planet) that let you explore a world and uncover a story as you go, but the extreme lack of interactivity from the player in A Bird Story made this game difficult to enjoy. I enjoyed To The Moon greatly, and that's what led me to this, but I mostly found myself just watching this waiting for my "turn" to press an arrow key to move to the next automated sequence. It's not bad and evokes the warm fuzzies, but it simply didn't engage very much beyond empathizing w/ the lonely-kid-finding-a-friend theme. The shape of the story is apparent very early in the game, and while the game has its moments, I found myself more often waiting on the story to move to where I knew it was going - sometimes wishing the game would just hurry up. (Jumping in the rain puddles was probably the high point of the game that evoked a simple type of fun that made me smile - but even that amount of limited freedom to the player seemed constrained as I was looking for a big puddle to make a big satisfying splash, or a pond to do a cannonball, but had to settle for tiny little splats...)

I guess I really can't recommend it, but if it sounds interesting you might give it a go. Playtime for me was about 1 hr 25 min. It's not bad, but it's nothing outstanding like it's predecessor. I think the overall passivity of the experience hurts A Bird Story.
  4. Feb 27, 2020
    A short, heart-warming story about a lonely young boy that nurses a bird back to health. Despite the plot being somewhat predictable and the game feeling like an RPG Maker version of a walking simulator, I can still see A Bird Story appealing to many, especially with Kan Gao's beautiful soundtrack as an accompaniment.
  5. May 1, 2017
    + a nice story with an ending (that almost made me cry) - however, that's about the only positive
    - some fantasy moments in an otherwise realistic tale
    - story sometimes hard to understand
    - very short (1.5 hours)
    - no speaking
    - way too expensive for what it is
  6. Dec 31, 2017
    Despite not having much in the way gameplay the controls are still awful. Only redeeming quality is 100% achievements in an hour.
  7. Sep 18, 2018
    It has it's moments but despite being only 4 hours long, it drags forever. Slow pace, almost no control except whether to go left or right. But good as a prequel for Finding paradise.
  8. Feb 15, 2020
    It had its nice moments,and as a minisode it was fine.It lacks a lot from gameplay,but thats how the game is.It's only a stoy after all.
  9. Dec 6, 2019
    Short but sweet. It doesn't do much in terms of an invoking narrative compared to that of To The Moon. but just enough to be enjoyable

Mixed or average reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Feb 7, 2015
    Visuals are A Bird Story’s biggest strength, and as far as the story goes... Well, I simply don’t know why someone decided it’s worth sharing with me. [01/2015, p.73]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 2, 2015
    Interactive story about friendship and adolescence, which will not fancy masses, but will be loved by empathetic individuals. [Issue#249]
  3. Jan 9, 2015
    Shorter game time, simplified story and a little less emotion - still, A Bird Story is the masterpiece of the narration and the form. But somehow it is something we had already seen in better shape before.