7.4

1. Jul 16, 2014
    Like most ACE Team games, this is hard to describe. Perhaps It should be called Chilean culture 101.

The first thing you notice is that the art style is brilliant. Kind of gothic late 1800's with a unique Chilean twist. It feels less alien than ACE Team's other game, Zeno Clash, but it has lost none of it's uniqueness. The gameplay is almost like Metroidvania meets Spelunky. Although

The gameplay is almost like Metroidvania meets Spelunky. Although the controls don't feel as tight as they should, the combat system is pretty sweet. Add unlockable characters, weapon pick ups and RPG style levelling, and you got yourself a pretty entertaining game!

ACE Team has the unique ability of combining art with actual gameplay, and if you're sick of generic military shooters, this game is like a breath of fresh air.
  2. Aug 16, 2014
    For me this is a very unusual game, is nothing to compare.
    Very original game story. Procedural level design, your adventure always different. A wide variety of characters is a plus of this game.
    A very unusual game balance!
    Beautiful graphics and a very atmospheric music. Single play, i finished in 20 minutes! Is it too short gameplay!
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    While at first the controls can seem a bit clunky, they are actually quite tight, but can take a bit of time to warm up to, but once you do it controls fine. I used a controller, so I can't comment on the PC controls, but since the game has an essentially fighting game style combat system, I'd say stick with a controller if you can (but hey, if you're fine with using a keyboard forWhile at first the controls can seem a bit clunky, they are actually quite tight, but can take a bit of time to warm up to, but once you do it controls fine. I used a controller, so I can't comment on the PC controls, but since the game has an essentially fighting game style combat system, I'd say stick with a controller if you can (but hey, if you're fine with using a keyboard for fighting games, go ahead).

The art style is amazing, as per usual for an ACE Team game, the music is moody and fitting and the sound effects are satisfying and compliment the gameplay. The voice acting is mostly average, but by no means bad and does not detract from the game in any way; however a few characters (including the Warlock, and The Jackal) are very well voiced.

ACE really has something going for them here: fighting game style combat, platforming exploration, rogue-lite elements and even the Kirby-like ability to play as any of the enemies in the game by collecting their soul. Each enemy has a full move set, just like the three main playable characters, and while you can't customize their move-set like you can the main characters, there is a huge cast to choose from and the majority of them are unique and offer many different styles of combat.

There is also a community progression aspect that the developers are implementing, as more players defeat the final boss of the game, his 'mask' slows cracks away until it is entirely broken. At that time a new mask will be revealed and the developers will update that game (yes, a free update) with more content including enemies and a new form for the boss (or something along those lines, the details are secret to preserve the surprise).

Definitely the most impressive game ACE has put out to date, and cements them as one of the top developers to keep and eye out for in the current gaming scene.
  4. Jul 17, 2014
    this game is not classic arcade d&d. not dragon's crown..
    this game is fighting base roguelike rpg. don't forget it.
    strong point is fantastic music, art, understanded character moves.
    but ending is so bad.. and skills unkind.
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    I really liked it - they took a simple game mechanic and made the most of it. It's short but it only needed to be short, and I've replayed it a few times even though I have loads of other stuff in the queue on Steam.

There are lots of simple, clever design decisions on show, for example as your character level gradually increases the weapons in the shop get more expensive. Which keeps you on a learning curve to figure out the combat properly. You are always having to prioritize - in an ideal world you want to have a full health bar, four health potions, three rings/amulets, a monster soul, a level 3 weapon, and to have set up a camp nearby. This will probably never be the case, meaning the play style has to adapt to the combination of stuff that has become available on this particular run.

The combat tricked me at first - it is neither roguelike nor beat-em-up like. Although it uses a limited range of beat-em-up type moves, it has much more in common with old side-scrolling fighting games like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and more recently The Spirit Engine - all of which had quite abstract mechanics. Very basically, in AO you and each enemy have a regular attack frequency, and you need your attacks to always be landing just before the enemies' "turns" come up. When it works, it becomes like a rhythm game where you bash the enemies one side of you and then swing round to get the others just before they have time to react .

The health increases on levelling up seem to diminish with each new level - e.g an extra 7 or 8 HP when a typical monster attack does 70 or 80 HP. This is genius because it means grinding is almost pointless and you play to get to the end, rather than to save up for whatever sword. Items get lost at the end and only XP and gold are kept.

The levels are randomly generated but not-very-randomly, and this is also a good thing because once you get used to the pattern you can decide from the mini-map whether to take a side passage to go after treasure or just proceed to the next fight. There is no backtracking or wandering around lost, except on very rare occasions when you get a key after a chest, or die after a ressurrect point. Other than that it's always forward. And this is good.

It's a casual game really, but it needs an hour of reasonably solid focus for each playthrough, and the achievements feel like they are worth playing "one more time" to get. I still need a page of the Warlock's journal because there is something somewhere I still haven't killed. It might be time to start going down the most difficult of the three routes into the dungeon.
  6. Jul 21, 2014
    This game got me hocked! its like a smash bros in rogue stile with a dark souls feel to it.

Your going down in a randomized world, fighting monsters, gaining xp and leveling up your character. But if you die, you respawn as a guard. trying to fight your way down and find a respawning place so your character can come back to life. but if the guard dies, you have to start from the top, keeping only your level and your gold.
    The level raising you health, and gold you buy better weapons and items.
    You can buy tokens that you can place beside the respawning place. working as a checkpoint. so if you die, you will always start there.
    if you can make it to the last boss and kill him, you will u........... . . . .
  7. Jul 18, 2014
    Controls take some time to get used to and the ACE team essentially created a megaman-esque platformer that is great for people who have experience playing fighting games but might be harder for others to get into. The game is great, and I'm hoping more special moves get added to the main characters in the future. Only major flaw at the moment is that while the game is meant to be playedControls take some time to get used to and the ACE team essentially created a megaman-esque platformer that is great for people who have experience playing fighting games but might be harder for others to get into. The game is great, and I'm hoping more special moves get added to the main characters in the future. Only major flaw at the moment is that while the game is meant to be played in 1 sitting, a single sitting takes around an hour if you don't die along the way.

You can watch my video review here: http://youtu.be/XGUCZHWI98E

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Abyss Odyssey is akin to a raid from World of Warcraft that you have to repeat over and over again. Though there is not much incentive to do that.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 22, 2014
    An interesting way of spending a couple of evenings, but there is not enough content in Abyss Odyssey to keep you engaged until morning. [10/2014, p.58]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 27, 2014
    Beautiful to look at and stunning to listen to but lacking any real depth when it actually comes to play. [Sept 2014, p.52]