6.8

1. Oct 29, 2019
    Afterparty's gameplay would be familiar to those who played Night School's previous outing "oxenfree". For the uninitiated, it is a narrative based adventure where dialogue options are the main point of interaction. There are a few mini games sprinkled out the adventure, but for the most part you will be walking to places and choosing what to say to NPCs.

The new mechanic of

The new mechanic of Afterparty is that you can purchase different alcoholic drinks at certain locations, which will give you an extra dialogue option depending on what drink you chose. The effects can be increasing your character's confidence, making them flirty or making them speak like a pirate. These options are generally more fun options to choose, though they don't really feel like they are meaningful choices in terms of the narrative or character relationships.

Narrative wise, the game aims for a more comedic approach to its script. While the premise is amusing, as is the aforementioned drinking mechanics, the comedy generally fell flat for me. The attempts at humour never had me laughing, though to its credit it never became grating either and did make the characters more enduring. It should be noted that humour is subjective and I find that I can be hard to please when it comes to comedy. The narrative does have its dramatic beats and they do flesh out the characters. However, the narrative doesn't feel as tightly written as Oxenfree. Simply put the ending of the game didn't have a impactful narrative payoff, as much of it relies on a twist that your characters don't have anything to do with.
  2. Nov 9, 2019
    You will steer two loveable characters through their afterlife. If you had the pleasure of building one in 1996's "Afterlife", it's pretty much like that, only that in this one the demons have a rigid 9-5 schedule, and won't lift a finger once their shift has ended. Resulting in the "Afterparty" that you will explore and celebrate. Figuring out how your two protatgonists got there, how itYou will steer two loveable characters through their afterlife. If you had the pleasure of building one in 1996's "Afterlife", it's pretty much like that, only that in this one the demons have a rigid 9-5 schedule, and won't lift a finger once their shift has ended. Resulting in the "Afterparty" that you will explore and celebrate. Figuring out how your two protatgonists got there, how it works, and most important, how to leave again will take you through wonderfully absurd dialogue, places and quests, with a similar concept like you maybe saw in "Oxenfree", where at any given point additional thoughts can be clicked, leading to further dialogue. There are also some more or less optional mini-games, because you can't have an afterparty without beer-pong, and a wide range of drinks that you can use to not only booze yourself up, but get into certain moods that change the outcome of the little stories you run into as well.

It's a reminder that a fully fledged art style tops polygon count and better-than-real-life textures at any given moment. "Afterparty" manages to create a lively, well-designed abyss, bursting with ideas and fueled by well thought through characters, worldbuilding that almost casually pours comedy silver all over the place. If you saw the trailer and got at least a bit curious about the presentation, ideas and/or love adventure games, I can't see you being let down by this one. What you might miss at any point is a real challenge, but you get a load of decisions that -while not really changing the outcome- will leave a whole bunch of unseen missions and story bits as replay value.

Thanks to it's characters it's surprisingly wholesome, often unpredictable and never really boring. Every once in a while the lack of actual comedy *gold* (as opposed to silver) is showing, but otherwise this game is all it could have been.
  3. Nov 9, 2019
    really cool game with good voice acting if u liked oxenfree u will like it :)
  4. Jan 15, 2020
    In this game you do only two things. Either you walk left, listen to a ton of annoying dialogues (the game literally NEVER shuts up) and occasionally pick one of the two replies which don't have an impact on anything, or you walk right, listen to a ton of annoying dialogues (the game literally NEVER shuts up) and occasionally pick one of the two replies which don't have an impact on anything.
  5. Nov 11, 2019
    I loved Oxenfree and was so excited for this game and wanted to love it. Unfortunately the story fell a bit flat for me. The pace of the story never seemed to get going, and I felt like I was still just getting into the story and the world when suddenly the game just finished. I didn't feel like there was get a good narrative payoff with the ending, I felt a bit robbed tbh.

I love the

I love the developers and I do think they write dialogue well - though at times with Afterparty it felt like they would just go on and on, not really talking about anything. I found I couldn't engage with it in the same way I did with Oxenfree. It was a real shame tbh.

That said the world and the art is lovely. The characters are cool and interesting, but switching back and forth between Lola and Milo felt clunky and as a result I didn't feel like I could relate to either of them. I enjoyed the music, though found it didn't really go with the voice acting? I found myself constantly messing with the settings as I couldn't get a good VO to Music ratio, which broke the immersion for me and was a bit frustrating.

There were also a few bugs here and there, such as crashes, and weird glitches.

There seemed to be talk that this game was a much bigger project to Oxenfree, but I think this may have just been referencing the amount of voice actors and their art budget, as the story was about the same size, and didn't seem as ambitious. I didn't feel my choices really had much of an impact on the story or my relationships. The cool drinking/dialogue mechanic felt purely novelty as well and I think it's a shame they didn't push this further. It seemed pretty much just decorative. Which is a real shame. The mini games you have to complete as well could have been utilized better and I was expecting them to happen much more before the end of the game. The two mini games you have to do to beat Satan you only experience at one other moment in the entire story. With one of these mini games I was still unsure as to how exactly to play by the time I got to Satan as there's no real introduction to them before suddenly, bam, it's the end.

Overall, the world was cool, but felt empty at the same time. It was filled with people that you couldn't talk to and the drinking mechanic only worked when you spoke to people in bars but I felt like I didn't actually get many opportunities to do this. I thought they could have done a lot more with the dialogue and drinking mechanic, creating unique experiences for each player based on who they chose to speak to and the repercussions of the dialogue choices the player chose. Nothing hugely story impacting, just maybe small little details to make the player feel like they're impacting the world.

I would recommend this game, but I was also quite disappointed.
  6. Oct 17, 2020
    What a disappointment of a game. I LOVED Oxenfree, for is the best indie games hands down. When i read that Night School Studio were to released another game i was SO excited cause i thought they had amazing talent doing stories that connect whit people and make you don't want to move out your chair until you finished...i was wrong. Now i see that NSS were just lucky creating Oxenfree.What a disappointment of a game. I LOVED Oxenfree, for is the best indie games hands down. When i read that Night School Studio were to released another game i was SO excited cause i thought they had amazing talent doing stories that connect whit people and make you don't want to move out your chair until you finished...i was wrong. Now i see that NSS were just lucky creating Oxenfree. Afterparty is an insult to my expectations. Really boring game, didn't see the time to finish it instead of making me feel like i didn't wanted to finish it. I couldn't even end the game cause of how slow, talkative and empty it was. Going to clubs drink and have stupid dialogue couldn't get any boring that what NSS just created. I wasted my money and left so disappointed that I'm even angry writing this review. Won't buy another NSS game since they just showed me that Oxenfree experience was just a one time trip. Expand
  7. Mar 1, 2020
    Disappointed, essentially a visual short story, virtually no thought necessary as none of your choices matter and you are able to progress without using any brain power at all. The writing is not good, not funny as there are way too many puns not even worth mentioning. All the jokes fell flat, game was still buggy even 5 months after its release. Gameplay consisted of moving left to write,Disappointed, essentially a visual short story, virtually no thought necessary as none of your choices matter and you are able to progress without using any brain power at all. The writing is not good, not funny as there are way too many puns not even worth mentioning. All the jokes fell flat, game was still buggy even 5 months after its release. Gameplay consisted of moving left to write, choosing one of two dialogue options, and then proceeding no matter what you picked. Male character was an beta male with purple hair, um no thanks. Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2019
    A really nice game. It's fun to the end and has a good story. But why these blatant technical mistakes. The loading screen (river trip) chops without end. The end crashed and had to be reloaded. People, why do not you fix that ??
  9. Mar 27, 2020
    Not as good as Oxenfree. Still not bad over all - i enjoyed the dialogue and story.
  10. Nov 5, 2019
    Really good, good voice acting, interesting story and it's beautiful, if you already liked oxenfree you will liked this one
  11. Nov 14, 2019
    This game gripped me from start to finish, and few games do that. For that reason, I have to give the game a 10. It's on a par with Oxenfree and is definitely worth your time
  12. Apr 17, 2020
    So in the grand tradition of only extreme judgement in this red & green world i'm going to be the knight of the tipping order, so as to bring this score to balance.

This game is a continuation of the traditions set by the studio with their amazing Oxenfree adventure game. Notice the genre - both are essentially adventure games sans unbearable perverted puzzles - all of your decisions lead you somewhere (like all good adventure games should), but contrary to some of the "opinions" here - your decisions DO matter and change the story, although not as much as some would prefer. But you can't see everything the game has to offer in one playthrough, as some of your decisions block other paths (think more quantic dream & telltale).

The story is amazing both in style AND substance, but it is very high-brow and metamodern, brimming with weird puns, existential half-jokes and some serious tone roller coasters. If you understand what i've just blabbered about - you'd love the game, but i can certainly see how it's not everyone's cup of cocktail. Oxenfree was straightforward (yet still on par with Afterparty), but it was something most could relate to. Going through a literal hell pondering Sartre-like question about your own identity and relation to others. It requires you being at least a hipster to try to pass off as enjoying the ride. I still feel a sour aftertaste having to reflect on the game, but that's also why i like it. It's as deep as the setting we play in. Both writing and delivery really sell the extensional motifs.

The art is good, but that's apparent from the trailer. Mini games or okay, but they fit really well into the story, so don't be too harsh on them. Yeah, they are simple and waste time, but they are unapologetically framed as such, so i can't fault the tiny studio for that. Music is great. I don't think it jived with me at first, but the more i play (and the more i listen to it), i can see how subtly it plays on the emotional strings of your soul under several layers of hip hip hop.

So if you like to spend you sundays shivering with dread under the sweat-soaked blanket and you are that wallflower who preferred to look at others dance at the disco, while panicking about the choices you've made in your life - Afterparty is for you. Well.. only if you got through it though, if you still battle with anxiety be a tad more careful, as this thing here gets you in da feels.
  13. Oct 23, 2020
    ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Generally favorable reviews - based on 24 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 3, 2019
    As I played Afterparty, I kept thinking that I should be liking it more than I was. A character- and story-driven game sounds like it should be right up my alley, and I can picture people enjoying the conversations and appreciating a vision of Hell where it’s being run by devils with just as many problems as everybody else. But I didn’t like the game, and I didn’t really like that there isn’t much game in the game (there aren’t any puzzles, and the drinking mini-games are so inconsequential it doesn’t even matter if you win them). So I’m giving Afterparty a lukewarm score. It’s definitely a game where your mileage may vary.
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 25, 2019
    The game is loaded with small glitches and inconsistencies but next to Night in the Woods it’s the one game I could point to and say ‘that’s how you should write engaging, living dialogue’. [13/2019, p.54]
  3. Nov 18, 2019
    Like a sober night in the town with drunken friends, it starts off amusing enough, but it wears out its welcome after a while becoming tiring and grating, and towards the end.