7.1

1. Jan 3, 2019
    Almost as great as Quake 1 and better than anything after it. The spot on gameplay, the atmosphere, the beautiful graphics, it really is almost perfect!
  2. Aug 2, 2018
    The classical art style in this fabulous arena FPS really works out for the good!
  3. Jun 23, 2019
    Incredible triumph of creativity. The weapons, the levels, and the graphics are all a breath of fresh air in the FPS genre. Incredible soundtrack. Fast paced combat and lots of exploration. Love it.
  4. Jul 23, 2019
    The game is very good. It's a little awkward at first but once you get the hang of it it's fun. For those wanting a retro FPS shooter, this is a good one. Good weapons, good difficulty.
  5. Dec 10, 2019
    AMID EVIL is a first person shooter coming to us from New Blood Interactive, made by the thrice blessed Indefatigable. Now let me set the record straight right off the bat. Despite what you might think, this isn't some throwback retro FPS game, oh no. This is an evolution.

AMID EVIL is a spiritual successor to Heretic, Hexen and Hexen 2 just like DUSK is the spiritual successor of DOOM, QUAKE and BLOOD. It hits you home with its myriad of spectacularly designed levels, the awesome variety of weapons and it's smoother than life controls within the first 15 minutes.

And let me tell you, you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The game is divided into 7 episodes, each unique in its design, enemies and environments. From medieval moon worshiping cults, to giant stone guardians, to sentient machines and crystalline arcane constructs. You're going on a journey, player and you better come prepared.

Let's talk a little about the game-play, you're The Champion, you've claimed the Axe of the Black Labyrinth and you're ready to use it to bring order to chaos, life to death, but mostly, to destroy evil like the cosmic crusader you are.

The controls are tight and responsive in the most literal way. You don't feel like you're in control, you are in control, it's all muscle memory from here because the game doesn't play around. You'll be dodging and weaving and platforming like you were born to do it, because that's how much control you have over your character. The game doesn't hamstring you and doesn't dictate your route for you. It gives you absolute freedom. I've skipped whole sections by using old-school quake techniques like rocket (or planet) jumping, or just figuring out inventive ways to use the scenery to my advantage.

You've got 7 weapons to choose from and I'll put it right out there, there are no "good weapons" or "bad weapons". Each weapon has their use, has enemies that it is much better against. Fighting fire spirits? Use the water rod. Fighting projectile reflecting crusaders? Use the planet-tosser. Fighting incarnations of evil? Well, you got an axe made just for that don't you?

Each weapon has a unique firing mechanism and unlike most shooters, they don't stand to imitate the classic gun, shotgun, rocket launcher. Instead, you got a sword that fires shockwaves, a rod that fires homing shots, a lightning shooting trident, a planet tossing claw (yeah, it shrinks planets and throws them at enemies, try not to blow up the earth will you?), a mace that shoots crystal spikes and of course, cosmic ribbon candy of death. You're going to be switching weapons on the fly constantly, within the same fight, you're going to be strategizing, prioritizing and you're going to do it without even noticing, because it's just a pleasure to do.

I have to put a shout out to my man Andrew Hulshult for being the absolute master of FPS soundtracks and making the experience ten times better with his incredible tracks. I don't buy game soundtracks a lot, unless it's a bundle. But I went out of my way to buy this one, so I can listen to it everywhere. It's that good. I can't even describe it, just play the game and have a listen.

The environments and level design are probably the pinnacle of their kind for this sort of game. I spent over 30 minutes every level just exploring and taking it in. The sky boxes, the maps, the environment, hunting for secrets, just getting into every nook and cranny, not because there's an achievement for that, but because it was just so well made.

Though the game follows the John Carmack creed of plot design keeping it simple, there's a deceptive amount of lore in the game, given to the player through short messages hidden in each level. Such as rivalry between two factions of enemies you fight, or connection between episodes that you can see by exploring. It was more than enough for me, gave me more time to focus on the action and rewarded me for looking around where I could. (And yes Dave, I bought DUSK, thank you.)

The second way they convey this to you is with a very helpful codex right in your menu, giving you info about places and enemies you'll encounter, which I can say was very helpful to me starting out and helped get me into the game. Kudos for that!

All in all, like I said, this isn't a throwback, it's an evolution. I'm excited to see what more can be done with this genre now, New Blood and their partners are giving me newfound faith in the gaming industry.

But, nothing's perfect and I do need to mention some drawbacks to the game.

1. Clipping issues when flying and jumping. I've gotten stuck on a ledge more than once, kind of a bummer. If you guys fix that, that'll be great.

2. This game NEEDS a map editor!

3. Bosses were too easy for me. Granted, I'm a veteran of FPS's and I've been finding EVIL difficulty easy, but still.

I hope to see more from New Blood and Indefatigable in the future!
  6. Mar 13, 2018
    Astonishingly good old-school shooter heavily inspired by Heretic and Hexen. Must-buy for everybody who enjoys this genre!
  7. Jun 27, 2019
    This classic first person shooter have all parts of successfull game:
    0) Not for kids, its adult 21+ game
    1) Audio and music for soul eating
    2) Hurricane battle action, each weapon useful for some types enemy
    3) Outstanding levels as for visual level-design as for walkthrough
    4) Graphic mush better than other games in 2019
  8. Aug 28, 2019
    While I went into Amid Evil with high hopes, the reality was- it did NOT live up to my hype.
    I am a massive fan of old school games like Heretic, Hexen, Shadow Warrior, Duke 3d and everything I had heard and seen about this game compared it quite favorably to the above. Well, if Dusk is the modern day answer to Quake I certainly can not say that Amid Evil is the modern day equivalent to Hexen or any games in its trilogy.
    My biggest issues are the facts that you could take this game and its game play, reskin the weapons as guns and (apart from the starting axe) I would defy a video game player to be able to tell this was ever fantasy themed. It feels like Dusk with a different color pallet and brighter visuals (minus all the fun platforming and secrets).

I CAN confidently say that this game has great and interesting enemy design. Each new enemy introduces new mechanics and uses. Discovering which weapons work best with which enemies is a joyful experience.

Its certainly not a bad game, I might even go far as to call it a good game, at times. I can not, however, justify anything higher than a 7.
  9. Jan 12, 2019
    The graphics is too old school for my liking.

Gameplay is good but there is no real story to the game.
  10. Jun 22, 2019
    Even the most simple melee enemy has a spammable projectile attack AND what's worse is, the screen goes COMPLETELY red when you take damage from a projectile attack, or from a heavy melee attack for that matter. I lose where I am very quickly because of this and I cannot react properly to my attackers.

Besides that, I don't really like the level design. The areas are too large with nothing in them. The weapons feel too clunky and the animations take too long. This game looked promising to me as a DOOM fan but I just can't recommend it if you're looking for satisfying, responsive, fast-paced action.

I quit the game in the second level when I died before I could even react because my screen was completely red and I couldn't even see where the enemies were.
  11. Sep 18, 2019
    pretty decent game, like doom and quake, i like it. i like the old like style graphics, it makes me feel good
  12. Apr 12, 2020
    What a wonderful game! Fluid action and creative levels combined to bring me one of the best experiences I've had for a long time. I was a bit unsure what it was supposed to be in the beginning, but my joy grew and grew until I couldn't stop playing, marveling at each beautiful environment and imaginative enemy. This is one of the best games in the genre.
  13. Dec 8, 2019
    What would happen if you mixed the best parts of Hexen, Heretic and Quake, dressed them up with the very latest Unreal engine 4 tech to make the game look incredibly beautiful but yet 90's retro? Add in some incredibly innovative weapons, superb level design, really atmospheric music and sound and then to top it all off add in some of the tightest, best done FPS combat in any game I'veWhat would happen if you mixed the best parts of Hexen, Heretic and Quake, dressed them up with the very latest Unreal engine 4 tech to make the game look incredibly beautiful but yet 90's retro? Add in some incredibly innovative weapons, superb level design, really atmospheric music and sound and then to top it all off add in some of the tightest, best done FPS combat in any game I've ever played?

Amid Evil is that game. If you love the thought of 90's retro FPS gaming this is an absolute must buy. It's easily worth twice the price
  14. Dec 23, 2019
    Quake meets Hexen

Best FPS shooter last years and one of best FPS shooters ever + Old School Shooter + Enemies with normal attack / movement speed (for K&M) + Great level design with secrets + 7 different worlds with different enemies and themes + Bosses with unique mechanics, not just big fat mobs + Good visual look + Manual activated ridge mod + A good arsenal of weapons and
    Quake meets Hexen

Best FPS shooter last years and one of best FPS shooters ever

+ Old School Shooter
    + Enemies with normal attack / movement speed (for K&M)
    + Great level design with secrets
    + 7 different worlds with different enemies and themes
    + Bosses with unique mechanics, not just big fat mobs
    + Good visual look
    + Manual activated ridge mod
    + A good arsenal of weapons and an additional mode for each weapon in the ridge mod
    + The weapon feels good
    + Adequate difficulty scale
    + Instant downloads within a level
    + Platforming competently dilutes and complements the gameplay
    + Good graphics (rather than pixel mess, as in DUSK, which supposedly tries to look like the first Quake) and a nice level styling
    + Endless wave mode of enemies on several different maps

There are no serious minuses
    - Sometimes enemies fall somewhere down (abysses, etc.) and, it seems, their deaths are not counted, since having vacuumed the entire level and revealing all the secrets, you do not always get 100% killings
    - Some secrets are hidden quite inappropriately
    - Sometimes textures disappear / flicker
    - You cannot change difficulty without restarting the level
    - The local BFG is very powerful, but very slow and unpredictable.
    - Few healers in wave mode
  15. Feb 26, 2020
    Yes, its retro and cool looking, but overall I found its level design lacking compared to for example Rune from 2000
  16. Jan 1, 2020
    Blast from the past! Old school fps at it's finest, this game represents old school classics from the 90's like Heretic & Hexen. Made with UE4 Tech, this is a modern version of an old school fps. Very fast paced, large puzzles to solve and huge maps and many variants of enemies to destroy. Plays very much like any of the originals in modern format.
  17. Jul 5, 2020
    Заставила меня засидеться на ночь, а это дорогого стоит.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 17, 2019
    Amid Evil is a new homage to 90’s FPS, but we think anyone can enjoy it thanks to its design, replayability and how fun it actually is.
  2. Jul 12, 2019
    Fast and precise old-school shooter, sometimes not challenging enough and with redundant enemy waves, but also filled with imaginative locations and spacious levels.
  3. Jul 2, 2019
    If you are a fan of classic shooters, you probably already tried Amid Evil, but even if you have the slightest passion for the FPS genre, you will no doubt enjoy this one.