7.4

1. Apr 19, 2020
    Broken Lines is a story-driven turn-based tactical RPG developed by PortaPlay, The game is set in a twisted version of World War II.
    First thing that got my attention is the games tutorial , one of the best i have seen on this kind of game.
    The story game revolves around 8 soldier that get stranded in a unknown territory with no clue on what there orders are and what they suppose to do.
    The tactigal game is very enjoyable and killing the enemy is very satisfying , broken lines is not trying to emulate other titles like Xcom and the feel and gameplay you get out of this RPG set's it apart from the others in this jeandra.

The weapons you are going to use are not that diverse but they will be enough to enjoi the game, and not filling like something is missing
    The character's you get to play with have very unique personalities making the player to set them apart during the gameplay almost automatically.
    The decisions you make thru out of the gameplay have a impact on the ending of the game so it gaves it more value because of replayability.
    the Aeye in the game is not made out of some mindless bots and you wil find your self more than wants surprised by the decisions and reactions they have in relation with your playing style
    The graphic's are more then decent, whit a unique art stile , great maps and a good soundtrack which contribuie on the immersion.
    That being said, if you are a fan of this jandra, you may want to give this game a chance..
  2. Feb 25, 2020
    Good - but tough combat, I hope I can get to the end of the campaign with my favorite characters alive. And then maybe try on hard and experience the other missions and get the ‘good’ ending. It's rather humoristic, so I remember my game from childhood: Commandos. The atmosphere is the same there, while there is alternative universe in Broken Lines, which lets us avoid any historicalGood - but tough combat, I hope I can get to the end of the campaign with my favorite characters alive. And then maybe try on hard and experience the other missions and get the ‘good’ ending. It's rather humoristic, so I remember my game from childhood: Commandos. The atmosphere is the same there, while there is alternative universe in Broken Lines, which lets us avoid any historical concerns and debates on who's the WW2 winner is. Recommend everyone who loves turned based tactics! Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2020
    Flawed but fun. The main mechanic is enjoyable, for a while, but ultimately there are so many annoying flaws, the game misses greatness. While blasting baddies is satisfying, managing your squad is made challenging by the control system.
  4. Feb 25, 2020
    Since your decisions have an impact on the ending, this game has a lot of replayability, definitely a game that you can enjoy many times over.
  5. Feb 25, 2020
    It's good to see a new turn-based game, the storyline is fantastically deep and lets you pick your own direction. I know how I'm going to spend this weekend!
  6. Feb 25, 2020
    Permadeath? Check
    Friendly fire? Check
    It's rare to see a game implement these features quite as well as Broken Lines has.
  7. Mar 8, 2020
    Great game had a really good time, multiple ending and encounters throughout the game giving plenty of replay value. i got the game on day 1 and did not come across any game/immersion braking bugs the characters are deep and complex and surprising. basically my first ending left me with questions as a sombre soundtrack played those questioned made me come back and play again well worthGreat game had a really good time, multiple ending and encounters throughout the game giving plenty of replay value. i got the game on day 1 and did not come across any game/immersion braking bugs the characters are deep and complex and surprising. basically my first ending left me with questions as a sombre soundtrack played those questioned made me come back and play again well worth the cash oh and permadeath and friendly fire are real things
    Game play 8/10
    Story 10/10
    Graphics 8/10
    Music 10/10
    1 play through avg 10 - 12 hours

Similar to Xcom, Breach and Clear, Hard west,
  8. Jun 15, 2020
    Good indie Game. It's a light strategy game where you will command a 4 or 5 man sized squad (from 8 characters to choose from) . Game is based on 8 second real time auto paused sessions where you will give a sequences of orders to your troop (like run or use an ability). After a mission you will have to manage a few resources (food, buy and switch weapons, some special objects..not muchGood indie Game. It's a light strategy game where you will command a 4 or 5 man sized squad (from 8 characters to choose from) . Game is based on 8 second real time auto paused sessions where you will give a sequences of orders to your troop (like run or use an ability). After a mission you will have to manage a few resources (food, buy and switch weapons, some special objects..not much else), and assign perks to yours soldiers. There are also some dialogues that alter morale, relations and skill of your squad
    The good:
    1) Different missions to choose from that will exclude one- another ...so you will probably finish the game at least two times to see different paths.
    2) Moral and dramatic decisions that are often in the "gray area" so...there is no easy good-guy path
    3) A very pleasant aspect of the game is that there is NO option to save a game during missions or before a path choice...so you can't abuse save-spam to see an outcome beforehand..this will add tension and fun-mistery to the game
    4) Not too long to finish... you will need about 7 hours ..but you will probabily replay it to see other paths and endings. Missions are also short but in a good way so there isn't downtime
    5) Soldiers have their personality.
    6) Mystery (supernatural or sci-fi) and WW2 Mix Well
    The bad:
    1) Combat is somewhat lackuster...very few options and basic A.I.
    2) Rpg and managemen are also basics.
    3) Most parts of the plot are not explained....this give some mystery...but also feel a little disappointed.
    4) Some late game repetitiveness...mostly because point 1 and 2.
    5) Cutscene are very basic...most of the story is narrated through text and still image..it could be better. Maybe buget restrictions.

To sum up a good indie if you can find it at a good price.
    I liked it and I hope for a sequel but with a little more options and things to do.
  9. Jul 15, 2020
    This game is overhyped for real. It has rly average tactical gameplay, which become boring in hour-two. Control on the battlefield is awful. Even though for 3 hours of gameplay i didnt lose any soldier, i always got confused about giving needed orders and to manage movements of my people.
    Management out of battle, which is about camp side, is so boring mechanic. What was the point to add it? To adjust the plot? Well, it didnt help. Characters are not interesting, and voice acting on the level "HMMM" was so annoying.
    I didnt make it to the end because i tired. Its not the game i expected when i read those reviews.
  10. Oct 26, 2020
    Broken Lines is an alternative-timeline WW2 strategy game with a twist.

Pros: - Great fighting mechanic - Squad management - There are certain points where you have to make certain decisions which impacts the game's ending so it is replayable multiple times Neutral: - Cutscenes are meh - I don't know why but the depiction of the germans are really weird in this game - The story
    Broken Lines is an alternative-timeline WW2 strategy game with a twist.

Pros:
    - Great fighting mechanic
    - Squad management

Neutral:
    - Cutscenes are meh
    - The story is meh

Cons:
    - Character models are weird looking
    - No voice in dialogues only humming

7/10. It's a great experience. Can recommend it on a sale.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 21, 2020
    Broken Lines is a solid squad tactics game with an intriguing narrative and fair, yet punishing permanent consequences for your actions. While the soundscape is unimpressive and the animation doesn’t hold up under closer scrutiny, the varied, colorful locations add an enjoyable visual flair to the experience. The Dead and the Drunk is an engaging spin-off that goes well beyond being a throwaway mode, and offers an additional challenge for veterans. The fully customizable difficulty settings allow players of all skill levels and preferences to find a way to play that’s a perfect fit for them.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 22, 2020
    A combination of RTS, turn-based strategy and rogue-like strategy works great. There are many enemies and little ammunition. Only the complex tactics are sometimes too complex. [Issue#302]
  3. CD-Action
    Apr 17, 2020
    There’s a lot to fix in the game but regardless it offers a heap of fun and playability – even if sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint why exactly. [05/2020, p.72]