7.7

1. KlasP.
    Apr 3, 2006
    Unusually scary game. Good atmosphere. Slightly dodgy controls. Not, really, Cthulhu but as close as it gets in a computer game and that is good.
  2. MikeB.
    Sep 9, 2006
    I don't get all the negative reviews of this game. The story is phenomenal, the gameplay is simply riveting. Do you die and have to play a portion of the game over... yes. Is it that frustrating... no! The most I have had to re-do is a 5 minute section, and I needed to do it 3 times until I completed it successfully. So... if the game didn't have any challenging areas it I don't get all the negative reviews of this game. The story is phenomenal, the gameplay is simply riveting. Do you die and have to play a portion of the game over... yes. Is it that frustrating... no! The most I have had to re-do is a 5 minute section, and I needed to do it 3 times until I completed it successfully. So... if the game didn't have any challenging areas it wouldn't be fun! The mood is great, and the graphics are very good. Are they "oblivion" good, no, but they are still quite sharp and the environments are very detailed. This game is simply terrific. You can snag it in malls for $20 now... and for that price you won't be disappointed. The only thing dissappointing about this game is watching ther percent complete crank up towards 100! Expand
  3. NeptuneUK
    Jan 5, 2007
    Fantastic game, lots of interesting gameplay elements and intelligent puzzles set it aside standard first person games. My only gripes with the game is the way the enemy corpses fade away quickly and then constantly respawn until you pass the area. This spoils the otherwise fantastic immersiveness of the rest of the game!
  4. JanosK.
    Apr 10, 2006
    Wow! Really, scarry... i could not play it more than a hour. But now, it has some unseen addiction, that i must finish it! I'll recommend it to every horror-fan around the globe.
  5. MaartenV.
    Feb 8, 2009
    awesome game. The story is filled with twists and turns and generally a lot of weird shit. Theres no hud wich makes things even nicer and theres this sanity thing wich is a very unique touch to the gameplay. It takes quite long before the action starts and you cant skip the cinematics wich could get annoying. Also the engine is well shaky, it just takes an alt-tab to crash the game. I awesome game. The story is filled with twists and turns and generally a lot of weird shit. Theres no hud wich makes things even nicer and theres this sanity thing wich is a very unique touch to the gameplay. It takes quite long before the action starts and you cant skip the cinematics wich could get annoying. Also the engine is well shaky, it just takes an alt-tab to crash the game. I lost count of how many times i crashed but i kept on playing it and playing it. The story makes up for the imperfections cause its just so surreal and you really want to see it trough to the end. Expand
  6. SebastianDahlM
    Jan 2, 2010
    Would have been 10 if not for the amount of bugs. Headfirst Productions should have been given a little more time to finish it.
  7. BellinoP.
    Apr 26, 2006
    Brilliant, This is the game I have been waiting for. Great story, Exploration and something totally different. It's not just another mindless shooter.
  8. KentB.
    Dec 26, 2007
    The game follows the Lovecraft style very well. The main character is influenced by the things he sees, and he gets (annoyingly sometimes) dizzy, hears voices, etc., as he "loses sanity". Find a quiet place to hide and you calm back down, so its generally not a problem, per se. The developers kept the screen clean, so there is no HUD or crosshair. You aim weapons with the metal sites that The game follows the Lovecraft style very well. The main character is influenced by the things he sees, and he gets (annoyingly sometimes) dizzy, hears voices, etc., as he "loses sanity". Find a quiet place to hide and you calm back down, so its generally not a problem, per se. The developers kept the screen clean, so there is no HUD or crosshair. You aim weapons with the metal sites that have become more popular recently (e.g., STALKER, COD4). The plot pulls from many different Lovecraft stories, but perhaps follows the Shadow over Insmouth most closely. If you are looking for a game that has a story to it, I highly recommend this one. Expand
  9. Bruno
    Jul 12, 2007
    Best horror game, and best video game based on book story ever made. 10/10.
  10. Nardtre
    Dec 28, 2009
    Yes there are a few shortcomings but a great story and great atmosphere. you don't even get a weapon till a third of the way through but this works very well. Lots of variation in gameplay from chase scenes both on foot and in vehicles. My niece wandered in and caught a glimpse of this game before I sent her out of the room. She didn't sleep for a week and now she seems slightly Yes there are a few shortcomings but a great story and great atmosphere. you don't even get a weapon till a third of the way through but this works very well. Lots of variation in gameplay from chase scenes both on foot and in vehicles. My niece wandered in and caught a glimpse of this game before I sent her out of the room. She didn't sleep for a week and now she seems slightly odd. Buy it. Expand
  11. Nov 26, 2013
    First I must say, this is one of my favourite games. Despite its age, it's still a good game if you're looking for a horror game with a good story. The gun play might not be that good and the game does become slightly less good once you get a gun, but even there it's still above average. I expecialy liked the fact that they didn't add the crosshair, it really adds to the immersion andFirst I must say, this is one of my favourite games. Despite its age, it's still a good game if you're looking for a horror game with a good story. The gun play might not be that good and the game does become slightly less good once you get a gun, but even there it's still above average. I expecialy liked the fact that they didn't add the crosshair, it really adds to the immersion and difficulty. But I don't think that anyone would play this game because of the shooting part (btw you only get your first gun after about 40% of the game). The game really shines when you don't have any weapons and must use stealth and your wits to outsmart your opponents. It also isn't a game to play if you want to blow up some steam, because it also includes some "brain" because of the many puzzles you'll have to solve. Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2013
    this is my favourite game ever, a very atmospheric game with great story that gives u chills on your spine.i feel so sorry that the company who made this game is no more, i wanted more great horror
  13. Jul 22, 2013
    Even many years later, this remains one of the creepiest, coolest and most fun games around. You don't have to be a Lovecraft fan to love the craft 9sorry) that has been put into this compelling story.
  14. Jun 14, 2014
    Amazing, old game, one of the first Scary games, didn't get why here it's as 2006 game, I have disc purchased in February of 2004 and can say it was really great games, never see so deep story in most of modern games, also it's FPS, if you love classic really can recommend it, it's not too expensive on Steam, but find disc will be really hard nowadays.
    I can say that it's classic in
    I can say that it's classic in genre, and really one of the best ones if compare to many modern games too.
  15. May 9, 2012
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a horror FPS game set in the mad world of H.P. Lovecraft's works. The player is a private investigator tasked with investigating a disappearance in the village of Innsmouth, which would be familiar to fans of Lovecraft.

The game is heavily focused on the horror aspect - for the first long time you're not armed and merely have to explore or avoid the locals, which makes for a mighty frightening experience. The game operates with a madness-counter of sorts, and the more mentally stressful things you see or experience the more this counter will rise. The result is some heavy blurring of vision and such, which is a very cool and very unwelcome effect in some challenging situation.

The story is captivating and stays true to Lovecraftian horror - the main character commits suicide in the opening scene after which the game jumps back six months and accounts the events that led up to the suicide. The game has no HUD but rather communicates though sound, post processing and such, which adds a lot to the feel of the game.

There are flaws in the game though. Whereas the first couple of acts have a very high quality the quality drops around the middle of the game. The story makes less sense, the environments are less inspiring and you get the impression that it's added merely increase game time. The quality rises again near the end though and delivers a satisfying conclusion after some of the more mediocre parts. The game operates with save points, so you will find yourself doing the difficult parts of the game over and over. Also it won't run on some video cards (google it before you buy it). This is a problem that won't ever be fixed as the developer is not in business any more.

Definitely one of the better games I've played in the genre, and one of the only ones I think captured the spirits of Lovecraft's works.
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    An awe inspiring dark look on cults that worship beyond the world of our own. Call of Cthulhu offers everything a horror gamer could ask for from terrifying fish people of innsmouth to the creatures from another dimension.

17. Feb 13, 2018
    Отличное игровое воплощения творчества мэтра и короля ужасов - Говарда Филлипса Лавкрафта!
  18. Aug 7, 2018
    There is not much Lovecraft movies or games out there. This is one of the good ones.
  19. MattZ.
    Apr 2, 2006
    A Survival Horror game that actually induces panic! Great game!
  20. RIKB.
    Jul 13, 2006
    The graphics are not very fresh, the game "guides"you on a linear path, some of the action environments are bloody frustrating... so a low score then? Not one bit of it, this game is all about trying to keep your sanity, whilst following a dark and disturbing story. An absolute must for Lovcraft and horror fans.
  21. JohnI.
    Aug 22, 2006
    If you get hung up on 'how many polygons?' and 'does it have bumpmapping?' look elsewhere. If you think 'survival horror' means blowing away as many zombies as you can, this game is not for you. If you like the idea of getting into a good horror novel, or immersing yourself in a great movie that sucks you in. This game is what you want. It is an immersive If you get hung up on 'how many polygons?' and 'does it have bumpmapping?' look elsewhere. If you think 'survival horror' means blowing away as many zombies as you can, this game is not for you. If you like the idea of getting into a good horror novel, or immersing yourself in a great movie that sucks you in. This game is what you want. It is an immersive story about horror and fear. It is about the realistic fragility of man when faced with things he cannot understand. It's about true heroism. The heroism where you are terrified but still tentatively move foward. It's about stange goings on in a strange town, a dark, dank town, falling down at the edges. Otherwordly and yet of this world. You will meet horric monsters and see horrific things, but you will also meet brave, ordinary people trying to survive in the town of Innesmouth. You will replay sections like you used to in the golden days of gaming. You will not be led by the nose and run through the game in one go via saves every 30 seconds. You have the tension of finding the save location just like in real life you will find it tension filled to find a safe place to hide. The save is just that. A rare 'safe place'. This is the only game I have ever played where you have to run away from vastly more powerful entities, This the only game I have played where I really felt naked without a gun and yet was required to deal with the world for a long time without one. I was immersed in a game that denied me an on-screen HUD and gave my character vertigo and mental problems to make all jumps and high ledges an adventure, and being around horrific situations very mind altering (as it would!). These frailities make the character very believable and adds to the immersion. Don't buy this game because it's a great shooter, or a great sneak-em-up. Buy it because you want to support mature, adult gaming, great storytelling and ingenious innovations in gaming. I give it a solid 9.00 for all the great things this game IS, and not the small things it ISN'T, Expand
  22. RalphW.
    May 29, 2006
    It captures the essence of cthulhu very well. It's not the perfect game and boy do you wish you had a gun alot earlier in the game. Turn out the lights, leave a door to your back, and play for a few hours. It really is a creepy dark and forboding game with a great storyline.
  23. PauloR.
    Jun 13, 2006
    The Graphics are a little dated, but what really sets this game apart from the rest is the sanity system. Its so good that it starts affecting you in real life... did you hear something? I thought I heard something. There are plenty of heart stopping moments... Their coming for me I can feel it... and the more tense the situation and the more gore you see the worse the effect on your The Graphics are a little dated, but what really sets this game apart from the rest is the sanity system. Its so good that it starts affecting you in real life... did you hear something? I thought I heard something. There are plenty of heart stopping moments... Their coming for me I can feel it... and the more tense the situation and the more gore you see the worse the effect on your vision and movement. If anything I think I'd like more horror and less combat but I'm looking forward to the sequel. Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2018
    Here I am playing it in 2018 and still loving it. It's strong point is atmosphere no doubt. You have a consistent creeped out feeling throughout the game. If you are getting it now get the GOG version as they have seem to have the decency to fix the bugs that make the game useless while steam has the gonads to sell you a broken game. The puzzles in this game are quite challenging andHere I am playing it in 2018 and still loving it. It's strong point is atmosphere no doubt. You have a consistent creeped out feeling throughout the game. If you are getting it now get the GOG version as they have seem to have the decency to fix the bugs that make the game useless while steam has the gonads to sell you a broken game. The puzzles in this game are quite challenging and satisfying and I like the fact that threw in some shooter sequences as well. Just keep in mind that the game is old and graphically it is no more obvious. A wheel looks like an octagon and the mouth movements looks like a ventriloquist dummy's but if you can get past that this really a very good survivor horror game. I really wish there were more like it. I got a hankering to play it again recently after trying the latest Call of Cthulhu rendition and couldn't help to think how godawful it was compared to this one even though it is graphically superior. Nowhere near the amount of effort put into that game as this as the puzzles are 4th grade in level. The ones in this game at least are challenging. Expand
  25. May 15, 2015
    Talking about a game like Call of Cthulhu it is no easy, because you know you talk about a great game but as in many other cases, it has been undermined by huge technical glitches. Those who have played it, they know what I'm talking about. But first the good things.

The plot of Call of Cthulhu is fascinating, intricate and with dark and rotten tones. Unlike Eternal Darkness, which is simply inspired by the stories of Lovecraft, Call of Cthulhu is based on the stories of Lovecraft. It is important to remember that I am not a big reader, but the atmosphere recreated in the game with the town of Innsmouth, its citizens strange, the gray and dull haze that covers it, donated it a weird and gloomy aspect as it should be. History is full of surprises, with themes ranging from the madness to evil, from spirituality to the connection with other worlds, and I really enjoyed the ending despite not being easy to interpret.

As for the gameplay, Call of Cthulhu is clearly a first-person shooter, even if it has some interesting mechanics: like every classic fps there is no automatic health regeneration system, and medikit must be used with caution to treat wounds through a complex system of medical care, and this thing I liked because it increases the challenge of the game. The feedback of weapons is quite good and there is also a stealth mode, however simple it may be. Another thing that the Call of Cthulhu has in common with Eternal Darkness is the sanity of the character. However while in Eternal Darkness mental health was indicated by a green bar, in this game there is no indication: when the character gets crazy, you see it on screen because the images are distorted, and the sounds become blurred up to flip the experience of the game ... and leading to game-over. It is something that while playing really bothers you, but in a good way, you really seems to get crazy. The puzzles are interesting, but some frustrating and, in my opinion inconsistent. However, generally speaking it is a game with a great gameplay, fun and balanced.

From a technical standpoint Call of Cthulhu has an appreciable graphic, although it could be better. But what really ruined the game is the realization from the point of view of programming: I have no idea who has ported the game on PC, from Xbox version, but whoever did it, it did it so bad, ridiculous and indecent. The game is full of bugs of all kinds, of which at least 3 can prevent to finish the game. And I had to try in every way, so patiently, checking on the Internet, to go over these bugs. A scandal. Absurd. I came to a point where I did not want to finish the game anymore. But fortunately I finished it.

So what can I say? Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a great game, a great survival horror, fun, with a unique and successful atmosphere. However the bad technical realization made it almost unplayable, and it is something I can not ignore. It is a game that I suggest to play, but you must have patience, you've been warned.
  26. Apr 17, 2019
    By far CoC DCotE is the best attempt to create a video game based on H.P. Lovecraft mythology. In the game you may encounter different creatures and stories that the author created. The game itself is pretty solid and is being played with a great interest. I can even tell it was released and developed ahead of the time.
    However there are negative sides. The beginning is very hard (that is
    However there are negative sides. The beginning is very hard (that is good) but the ending is too easy. Also sometimes you feel like in a mashup game. Seems like the developers wanted to include as much as possible into the plot and gameplay that it doesn't seem or even feel right sometimes.

Anyways this project is much better than 2018 CoC and awaiting the Sinking City I recommend to play it for everyone who like Lovecraft.

1. PC Gamer
    Fans of the Cthulhu Mythos may go straight to heaven with such a faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's spine-chilling years. Others may find that Call of Cthulhu drives them to the mountains of madness. [July 2006, p.55]
  2. An undeniable effort. It can be fulfilling and mightily rewarding, but there are too many frustrating moments to say it’s a classic.
    Despite the occasional missteps, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a more than fitting tribute to its literary inspiration. It's also a great way for fans of real horror to give themselves the heebie-jeebies for a dozen hours or so. Just don't play it late at night, alone.