8.2

1. May 14, 2015
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    I recently played this game and its one hell of a game when it comes to shooting the **** out of people.
    A good experience of the wild west. Good narration by the lead character and most of all god bejesus guns. As always ubisoft delivers a game that i would love to play. The only issue from my side is no multiplayer. Other than
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    Other than that this game is far way better than cod ghost
  2. May 10, 2015
    one of the best FPS I have ever played. It just feels great when you shoot a guy and his blood just spurts out like a fountain. and the duel mode is very well made, and intense.
  3. Mar 21, 2015
    Yeah it's a short rails-shooter, but the mechanics are solid and the story is more compelling than many hyped full length games (Bioshock: Infinite I'm thinking of you...)
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    Great fun. Good control. Nice action. With humour. You feel like a gunslinger.. I hope there are more.. Most games let me down but not this one. Not too hard but not too easy either.
  5. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep yourThis game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep your skills from the last run, but enemies get stronger? I never really noticed. Towards the end of the game, you get to be ridiculously overpowered, having the game autoaim for you and rack up headshots like aimbot in Modern Warfare 2. But, the game takes 10-15 hours to complete, arcade mode will add up to about 5 hours, and this makes Call of Juarez: Gunslinger the underrated gem that it is. While the game does lack setpieces and prefers a lead-throwing romp playstyle, it is executed so well that it's easily forgivable.
    Pick this game up for its normal value, DEFINITELY pick it up if it's on sale. This could knock out a weekend.
    It's no game that'll last you forever like Payday 2 or Terraria, but it can definitely be revisited if you feel like dumping a day into some damn good gunslinging. Oh, and the voice acting is badass.
  6. Nov 3, 2014
    Fun, short game.
    The action is quite alright, but it's certainly not excellent - AI sucks, you're just running around for headshots for bigger combos, etc.
    The duels are interesting.. I guess. But the game would need quite a bit more variety. The narrative is not terrible and I really liked how the storytelling memory vs actual accounts kept messing it up in actual gameplay.
    Fun, short game.

However, both the narrative and the action are just a bit too "unreal" for my taste, getting a bit boring with "oh yes, and then there was the time where I killed 100 guys in the same way for the same reason getting the same result and probably this didn't actually happen.."
  7. Oct 26, 2014
    An arcade twitch shooter with a very entertaining story that is simply a lot of fun. Mix 'Max Payne' with 'Serious Sam' and films like 'My name is trinity' and you get this. Gameplay is very well balanced, and never gets stale with the constant change of pace, humour, and duel segments. Although technically a bit dated, the graphics still look great. Its a pity the devs had a small budget,An arcade twitch shooter with a very entertaining story that is simply a lot of fun. Mix 'Max Payne' with 'Serious Sam' and films like 'My name is trinity' and you get this. Gameplay is very well balanced, and never gets stale with the constant change of pace, humour, and duel segments. Although technically a bit dated, the graphics still look great. Its a pity the devs had a small budget, and the single-player story is quite short. But there is some replay value, and the arcade mode (a kind of time trial) allows you to compare high scores with your friends. Note - If FOV is too low, it can easily be fixed in the config text files. Expand
  8. Sep 18, 2014
    Here we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrateHere we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrate mode and sense of death make it even more fantastic. It takes 7-8 hours to complete main storyline. But don't worry. Arcade mode and duels mode is offering more hours to play. You can try to do your best and compare your scores with others. I always loved to hear good stories about wild west. I like country music, i like western movies and when i'm not dreaming about become a medieval knight, i dream about become a cowboy. If you're like me this game is 11/10 for you. If you're not, it's still a pretty good shooter and it deserves 9 in my humble opinion. Expand
  9. Sep 16, 2014
    The wild west is an underdog in the gaming sector and so Call of Juarez doesen't have to worry to perish in the repitition of the same. The game was cut down to one main story line. The game has an unique story telling of bounty hunter Silas Greaves, who never lets you alone in the levels. Me as the actor is always trying to keep up with the speed of the story. Some weak moments, like tooThe wild west is an underdog in the gaming sector and so Call of Juarez doesen't have to worry to perish in the repitition of the same. The game was cut down to one main story line. The game has an unique story telling of bounty hunter Silas Greaves, who never lets you alone in the levels. Me as the actor is always trying to keep up with the speed of the story. Some weak moments, like too much enemies and bullets are a reasonable compromise, because Silas is of course exaggerating and maybe not always telling the truth. For a fistful of dollars you get an entertaining shooter. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2014
    Nice! West, duels, no hud, no hints, challenging fights, chickens and cows. What else do you want? It is little more than a rail shooter, but a very nice and good at that. And the plot is also quite nice, narrator and voice actors in general good good good. 85/100, going to master all the challenges now.
  11. Aug 13, 2014
    The game while in a great setting and solid mechanics fails to use this potential. After a strong start while fresh the game quickly becomes highly repetitive and a chore to finish.

That being said it is still quite fun but it fails to keep those levels up.
  12. Jul 17, 2014
    At first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality butAt first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality but whose lack of artistry falls short of the prettiness that Gunslinger provides. There are FPS games with gritty stories, but none of Gunslinger's wit and smarts. This was one of 2013's best surprises, especially after the missteps of the CoJ series of late. Buy it. Expand
  13. Jun 23, 2014
    A very humorous and entertaining western story. Although this game is relatively short about 6-7 hours long it is of high quality id give it 7.5 definitely worth playing even if your not really into western type games.
  14. May 26, 2014
    Gunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game isGunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game is quite short, however. Don't expect to put in more than 7 hours before you're done. Even on the hardest difficulty, you won't be getting stuck for long. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the direction they took the art. The cel-shaded graphics aren't really my style but they were never too bothersome. The biggest gripe is that by the end of the game you'll be wanting more, and there isn't much else to do. There are arcade missions which are just slightly altered, and shortened version of the campaign levels. There is also a duel challenge which i didn't find good at all. Dueling was one of the worst parts of the game. Thankfully it's too hard and you only have to duel a few times throughout the game. Recommended for all Western and Shooter fans out there. Hopefully we can get a sequel to this sooner rather than later. Expand
  15. May 2, 2014
    This FPS arcade is such a fantastic game. Its atmosphere and the way how the story was told is superb and very original.

Seriously guys, if you like fast-paced games, FPS and westerns, you should play this!

And a last point, this game is highly polished, giving the AAA impression.
  16. May 1, 2014
    I am writing from old player shooter, and after years of disappointments with the series all the same and poor as call of duty and battlefield, finally, here is a game that offers a solid and varied gameplay with unprecedented mechanics, engaging story, great feedback shots, good variety of weapons, AI discreet, so much personality and atmosphere of the old wild west!
    People for 15 euro
    People for 15 euro you can not ask for better.
    If you love shooters buy it with eyes closed!
  17. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is pretty damn good. Has great music, told a good story, has good combat, looks good, has some pretty funny lines. If you have any interest in cowboys / westerns, or just looking for a good shooter, this game is recommended.
  18. Apr 17, 2014
    Hell, boy, Gunslinger is the fastest single-player FPS in the West! Where most of them "shooters" nowadays go all serious and business-like, arguing fancy tactics and whatnot, Gunslinger is like jumping off a stagecoach, off-loading lead from your trusted six-shooter while pouring down your favourite Whiskey refreshment.

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a story and presentation style that capture the exciting atmosphere and feel of the "Wild West", with all the tropes from your favourite Westerns. If you like shooters or have even a remote interest in the Wild West, I challenge you to try the demo and not be hooked. You get a taste of the full game, the rest is pretty faithful to that demo.

The gunplay is really great, and the gameplay mechanics with "concentration" (kind of a bullet time) and "sense of death" (last chance to dodge that bullet that was about to kill you) are really satisfying and fun. Plus, it features different tropey locales and situations, like prison escape, bank heists, mines, indian caves, train robberies, ghost towns, etc etc. The graphics engine is really good, providing nice detail and beautiful sceneries, and is as fast as the action itself, with ultra high fps even in the highest quality settings.

Hell, boy, I ain't had this much fun shooting since Lord knows when. TRY IT!
  19. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. GoodThis game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. Good immersion that directly puts you into the shoes of a Western Gunslinger along with a great storyline makes this game worth playing. It has many good artistic designs but the textures aren't that great even if you are playing on high and the sound quality is decent. A few glitches but nothing much to hinder your experience in this 15$ masterpiece. Enjoy playing! Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a 4 hour, linear corridor shooter with a messy plot that constantly pushes you back and forth. There's no open world to explore and no interesting weapons to be used. It's a very basic shooter and I'm glad it ends the ride very quickly.

The art style is very strange and unusual. It tries to cover the cell shaded design but interferes with the actual graphics, it doesn't perform like a toony western shooter and feels like it was just slapped on for the sake of trying to be 'unique' while utterly failing. And what's the deal with those annoying black borders that take up the screen?

I'm not happy with the asking price of $15 for such little content. But I will give 1 score for the effort, it feels like they really tried to make a good game but decided to give up half way.
  21. Apr 6, 2014
    This one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriouslyThis one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriously and it benefits greatly from that. As for the gameplay, they did a fantastic job of letting you absolutely tear through people as a reward for accuracy without ever letting you get lazy. Every enemy is a threat and they WILL kill you if you aren't fast enough (I do recommend playing on Hard though. I didn't touch normal.). My only complaint is the duel mechanic that quickly grows to be tiresome though you only have to do it at the end of levels. The campaign should keep you busy for 4-5 hours by which time you will unlock a New Game+ mode that lets you keep leveling up and play on the "True West" difficulty. If that's not enough, there's the relentlessly fun arcade mode that is essentially a score attack mode where accuracy, speed, and combos are key.

9/10 - a surprisingly complete package for $15 or less.
  22. Apr 4, 2014
    Great arcade shooter with good narration and decent graphics. Fit with decent mechanics such as the bullet dodge, also especially when you can pull off slick high count combo's with slow-mo is really fun. The story however is short, around 5 hours, and some boss fights were, in my opinion, poorly designed. The standoffs take skill and can put someone off if they're not able to concentrateGreat arcade shooter with good narration and decent graphics. Fit with decent mechanics such as the bullet dodge, also especially when you can pull off slick high count combo's with slow-mo is really fun. The story however is short, around 5 hours, and some boss fights were, in my opinion, poorly designed. The standoffs take skill and can put someone off if they're not able to concentrate well enough. Overall still a satisfying experience , especially at this price. Expand
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a badass spaghetti western type of game. The graphic is perfectly designed for a western game, the story is interesting just like the voice acting but the major problem is the difficulty...

Sometimes you just finish a level with just a pistol without taking any cover and some other times BAM dead. And what did hit you? You'll surely discover it! ... After being killed a thousand times, and that's when it's falling to an die and a retry kind of game. This game lures you with easy missions and easy bosses and then you will be stuck in an unfair and unforgiving level. Most of the time explosions are all over the place!
    That can be cool but if you can't see where you're shooting', it ain't cool.

In overall, it's a good but quite frustrating game since some death are not even slightly fair.
  24. Mar 29, 2014
    Gunslinger is an excellent FPS "" game. One of the better games of 2013 that even appeared on Angry Joe's Top List of Games of 2013. (Which is until when i was subsequently more obliged to purchase it).

In this relatively short review, i'll cover the Good, Bad and the Ugly of this game. : + Excellent story-telling + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters + Very well

+ Excellent story-telling
    + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters
    + Very well optimised game mechanic, didn't have had any trouble playing it from the start.
    + [spoiler] Nugget of Truth tells stories and short bios about real life characters, places, etc [/spoiler] The Bad & The Ugly:

- Extremely short singleplayer story mode. (4 hours for < or equal to US$15)
    - Graphics doesn't seem to impress. Probably because of the engine used.
    - A.I. isn't great. Felt little to no challenge at all.
    - No tutorial centred mission(s). Players are thrown into the game with HUD overlaying short tips & other advices.

In all, i really recommend this game for it's cheap price. Worth playing, especially if you love the old 19th century Western Texas/Mexico cowboy era!
  25. Mar 22, 2014
    The gameline is intriguing but the "forced" positions the editors put you in is TERRIBLE! From PUSHING you forward into a room, to making you run down a lit fuse where only a "patterned" set of execution wins the day is not what modern gaming is all about.

As a 49 year old gamer I can tell you about the ascension of games because I've lived through the morphing process which games have gone over the years. Back in the day, Pacman had certain "patterns" you followed and once memorized you could beat the game.

Then gamers demanded more. They wanted to have the "freedom" to beat the game using their own individual strategy, NOT some pre-template sets of execution that the editor "forced" upon the player.

Unfortunately, this game forces you into just this type of game play a lot! If you like games that "force" you to play their way, then you'll probably enjoy this game. If you're like me and enjoy entering a game and conquering it using your own unique skills and style, then this game will "frustrate" you to no end.

The gameline and storytelling is a 9 for me, but the consistent FORCED gameplay DESTROYS any and all value that would have made this game fun. There's a reason why "open world" game playing has reached an all time high. And the exact reason why this game never really became as popular as it could have.......

sadly more than halfway through the game, I wanted my money back!
  26. Mar 4, 2014
    This is truly one the best gunslinger type games ever I think everyone should try it. It gives you a truly epic wild west game this is the type of games that should have a higer price tag but the creators are amazing I say its worth the 15 bucks.
  27. Feb 23, 2014
    Very funny way of telling a story, really different! Gameplay is great, really nice. The graphics are beautiful, sound is way good. You can't miss this game!
  28. Feb 8, 2014
    antastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration.This is a good arcade shooter with not too much seriousness but enough blood to make it fun :D
  29. Feb 7, 2014
    The game is epic and intense there are moments in the game that feel like your in the game only rare and some games have that feeling the gameplay is beautiful and this game has a long campan even when this game is on 1 disk and I played the game on Xbox and PC. on PC it feels epic because of the mouse on xbox its feeling is dull and boring take my word for it and get this game on PC
  30. Jan 21, 2014
    This game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to theThis game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to the combat. It is a fantastic wild west shooter and if you are looking for one this would be perfect. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  31. Jan 7, 2014
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is a well-crafted First Person Arcade Shooter and an awesome western experience. I love cell shader graphics when they work, and they definitely work here, the comic book style is neat and adds personality to the game, the music and sound effects are cool too.
    Game is only 15 dollars and you will get a lot of value for that. Besides the campaign there are other 2 modes Arcade and Duels where you can compete with your Steam friends for the highest scores.
    Now the downside, there is no multiplayer/Co-op whatsoever and it would’ve been nice if they had added some kind of horse experience, after all what’s a western without that? But even so Call of Juarez Gunslinger is absolutely fantastic, one of my favorite games and you should dare to visit the wild west with this one, do not miss it!
  32. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is the most unique FPS I've played in a very long time. From the moment you start the game, you're met with amazing narration, great story telling, and awesome gameplay. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I would have liked to see some form of open-world exploration (I think it'd be perfect for a game like this). Definitely buy this game, you won't regret it.
  33. Jan 4, 2014
    The Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-drawThe Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-draw stand-offs you have you to complete. But overall was pleasantly surprised with CoJ. Expand
  34. Dec 24, 2013
    Yeah! That's it! You want an arcade shooter with a Wild West Story background, that has it's face on good shooting and an interesting story, your are completely right. If I take the price and compare it to the game, I must say: Buy IT It's the best game I bought since a long period of time! Never had such fun in shooting. For the sequel I expect, shooting on horse or something similarYeah! That's it! You want an arcade shooter with a Wild West Story background, that has it's face on good shooting and an interesting story, your are completely right. If I take the price and compare it to the game, I must say: Buy IT It's the best game I bought since a long period of time! Never had such fun in shooting. For the sequel I expect, shooting on horse or something similar but for that price it`s the best arcade shooter, I've ever played It's not graphics, it's not money.... it's gameplay that counts! Expand
  35. Dec 22, 2013
    I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a long long time. No 360 quick scopes, not annoying kids playing. Just pure fun...by yourself.

PROS: Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very

PROS:
    Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very little about it before.

Fun gameplay. The gameplay is definitely something I'll be coming back to for some time to come. Somehow doing headshot after headshot is very fun. Haven't felt that way in some time.

Fun game modes: The Arcade, duel, and storyline modes are very enjoyable and I've played through all of the multiple times. Definitely getting your money's worth there.

CONS:

No multiplayer. Although I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer all the time in every single game you buy nowadays. Call of Juarez Gunslinger could have used it since it would increase the the playability and the overall market for the game. Definitely a mistake not to include it.

Game Modes. Although I said I like the modes it isn't enough. Definitely needs more modes or sections within the modes to make the game more fun. Maybe a zombie mode too. I know thats a steal from other FPS series but just something else to increase playability would have been nice. I've played through everything and I'm wanting more!

OVERALL:
    I loved this game. Maybe not the best Call of Juarez game (since it really isn't about Call of Juarez at all...just takes the name from the series) but its fun. Cannot wait to buy the next installment since they definitely did a great job here (just please don't do a Cartel one again...horrid idea).
  36. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire levelThis game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire level restarts" mechanic.
    The duel sections weren't that great, and I saw the end of the story coming about halfway through the game, but it was still enjoyable.
  37. Nov 26, 2013
    I wasn't expecting much from this game... I just bought it because it was on sale. But I was very, very surprised. This is the most fun first person shooter I've played in a long time.
  38. Vex
    Nov 22, 2013
    Fantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titlesFantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titles this year (I'm looking at you Bioshock). Expand
  39. Nov 16, 2013
    Not bad for the price, but far away from the quality of Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood. Very linear, not so interesting stoy and mainly focused on shooting. If you are aware of this and try to avoid comparissons, you will enjoy the experience during the average time for FPS (8-12 hours depending on your pace and collectables seeking). Has a levelling system that will help you onNot bad for the price, but far away from the quality of Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood. Very linear, not so interesting stoy and mainly focused on shooting. If you are aware of this and try to avoid comparissons, you will enjoy the experience during the average time for FPS (8-12 hours depending on your pace and collectables seeking). Has a levelling system that will help you on perfectioning an specific shooting style, and usually you will use the same main style during all gameplay, investing some points on other style you prefer as your second (dual pistols, short range, long range).
    I like the duel system, frustrating at first, when you are not used to, but eventually you'll finish mastering it.
    Collectables distracts you from main storyline, they glow, they give exp points and at end of each episode you are remainded that you lose some. But in the other hand, they are brilliant, explaining wild west real history with real pics.
    Have potential for replayability, changing your style or trying higher difficulties.
    Recommended for the price.
  40. Nov 15, 2013
    Absolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What reallyAbsolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What really drives this game is the story, which is award-worthy. It's the kind of FPS game storytelling that call of duty or other major franchises wish they could do. The only negative things I could say about this game are that I wish there were some kind of multiplayer, either coop or some kind of deathmatch, because implementing these mechanics in multiplayer seems like it would be really fun. It's amazing how much went into this game for a budget title, well worth the price. This may not have a lot of features, like a lot of hidden unlockables or multiplayer, but what it does, it does very well. Considering that this game is better on many aspects than some full-price games released around the same time, and it it is well deserving of a 10/10 rating. Expand
  41. Nov 9, 2013
    Probably the best Western Shooter since Outlaws back in the late 90's from LucasArts. The story telling is done in an original way that keeps you engaged but their history is completely broken (wrong outlaws in the wrong battles). For example they pit Billy the Kid against the Pinkertons which was actually Jessie James and his gang.

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy shootouts I died once and when it spawned me back it gave me no reaction time to press the directional keys (bug)... every time I spawned only to be killed again with the [key] appearing AFTER I was dead. At least I encountered that problem early in the game.

Also, sometimes you feel like you're just getting into a groove with the shootouts and then they launch back into the story mode again which pulls you from the action you're craving therefore, the best feature is also its biggest challenge. They probably should have extended the first-person shooting sequences (they're just over too quickly). I haven't passed it yet but other reviewers claim 8-10 hours to get through it.

All-in-all, a good game if you pick it up cheap on Steam. At $50 I'd of been a bit frustrated but at $8 on Steam you can't go wrong.
  42. Nov 9, 2013
    I played the demo (which it 's very good) and I went and immediately bought the game but honestly the first 2 levels are all that the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. You do the same thing over and over again. Repetition is something that fully describes this game. And repetition makes things boring. By the last 4 levels I was so tired doing the same thing over and over again thatI played the demo (which it 's very good) and I went and immediately bought the game but honestly the first 2 levels are all that the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. You do the same thing over and over again. Repetition is something that fully describes this game. And repetition makes things boring. By the last 4 levels I was so tired doing the same thing over and over again that after I finished the game it seemed that the torture was over. Shoot bandits, then shoot then shoot again and guess what then you shoot some more bandits again.

Pros: The game looks beautiful, Some levels are awesome, Clever storytelling, Arcade mode

Cons: REPETITION, No gun variation, No changes in gameplay, No horse riding, duels are bad, they have you doing the same thing over and over again, No imagination from the developers, in some areas the textures are bad. REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION, No horses in a western game? Oh did I forgot to mention that the game is repetitive.
  43. Nov 5, 2013
    I love Westerns, and I love FPS's; this game fulfilled my need for both my loves and created a beautiful game. The campaign was fun and somewhat interesting, but my favorite part of this game was the fun combat system they had. All of the guns felt satisfying when they were fired, duel wielding makes you feel like a boss, and slow motion gunfights are a great way to enhance a Mexican Standoff.
  44. Nov 3, 2013
    We all have games we look forward to playing...like i have waited to play Torchlight 2 for example, but what makes for a nice gaming moment is when you discover that little game you never heard of and it turns out to be an actual gem.

That was the case for me with Gunslinger, it was released in may 2013 but i only recently learnt of its existence, luckily the devs knew they have a great product so they were not afraid to release a demo on steam, i checked the game, was immediately in love with it, bought it next day.

Whatever opinion i might have of the previous instalments of the CoJ series, this one is the best for me.
    Great graphics, similar to other great games like Borderlands for example, make the game stand out.

Gameplay is also unique, every shoot out looks like you are duel, like and arcade game at your local mall, the word shooting gallery comes to mind...but that's great, weapons handle and feel great, good skill trees add a bit of variety and are actually useful, there is a decent variety of enemies and the game doesn't get boring that easy.

While you play there is a great deal of narration going on, the plot is done in an amazing way, the main hero is sitting in a bar and he is telling the story of his life, often forgetting or changing some thing which in turn make the player reverse back in time or give him a chance to do something other way.

Voice acting is done well, very well, same for sounds and music in game.

The game is fairly priced and given that you can access a demo you are being treated like a respected customer.

The only drawback i would say is that game is not that long but it has a decent replay value thanks to skill trees and game modes including New Game+.

I can recommend this game to fans of wild west and anyone else alike as this is a good shooter that will make you enjoy yourself and forget about all those hate wars about which game is better etc., this is pure fun.
  45. Oct 31, 2013
    When I started playing this game, I had forgotten it'd been 7+ years since I last played FPS games. Naturally, in all of my arrogance, I assumed I'd be just as good as I ever was and I'd be pulling headshots left and right.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.

In the end I had to start with the lowest difficulty setting. The game was a lot fun, I'll tell you that. It was also quite good-looking. I found myself just looking at the varied landscape more than once. I almost wished there was more of it. Of course, that was not the point of the game as much as it was to shoot bad guys, and there were a lot of them.

The action didn't degenerate into trench warfare at any point and the difficulty curve, I found, was varying, either by design or accidentally, but nevertheless it kept you on your toes. One big gripe with the game that I had was that I was mostly oblivious of the constant name-dropping and references to famed Wild West figures/movies. That is to say, if you're a fan of Westerners, you'll love this one.

The leveling system in the game was something I disliked a lot, though. You start at level one and gain more abilities, more ammo capacity and flat-out better guns as you shoot more guys through the head. What this means that the game inevitably becomes easier as you go on. Or, it inevitable becomes what it should've been from the start. Despite all the positive words I just typed, I almost quit playing the game 2 hours into it, partially because my mouse-arm was rusty and I couldn't get things done and partially because at the start, there was not much you COULD do.

If you get past that however, expect to explosive ride through a, sadly, somewhat short story. Oh, and the revolver duels are awesome.
  46. Oct 8, 2013
    I had high hopes for Gunslinger. A series of good reviews gave me the impression it was a well constructed return to old-fashioned shooters, with a good chunk of humour and innovation thrown in for good measure. But it's only nearly those things.
    There's a lot to like; great visuals, engaging combat, a humourous but exciting plot, and lots and lots of shooting. But, for me, a number of things just ruin it beyond repair; the insta-death QTEs, the stupid black border, the hideously low FOV, the duels, the poorly integrated bullet-time, the constant stopping and breaks in gameplay, and the stupidly distracting HUD elements and key-press reminders. Yes, I know there are hacks to remove the borders and fix the FOV, and these fixes allowed me to progress further than five minutes into the game, but I'm reviewing the game in its vanilla state (as I did with Far Cry 3), and it's disappointing how these games still treat everyone like 6 year-olds without giving me the option to TURN THEM THE HELL OFF. Does that make me picky or elitist? Then so be it. Maybe other people are too easily pleased because they've been spoon-fed this console crap for so many years. Seriously; screw this nonsense. Screw it all the way back to 2005.
    Like many modern shooters over the last seven or eight years, a great game utterly ruined by the usual console trappings that all developers seem to think they have to force on all players. This could have been a modern DOOM meets A Fistful of Dollars, but it wasn't.
  47. Sep 27, 2013
    This is an exquisite arcade experience coupled with brilliant narrative. There's an impressive amount of intrinsic rewards and, although technically repetitive, I never felt like I got the slightest bored. The game kept me active and engaged throughout the entire game including the cut-scenes.

The voice acting is fantastic and entertaining throughout the entire campaign. The characters feel believable and fit right into the world of the wild west. The world constantly changes and adapts to the story and makes for highly engaging storytelling. You feel like you're both living and being told the story at the same time. It's something I've never experienced in a game before.

Controls is something the developers have absolutely aced. They are responsive, sleek and they never get in your way. They are so good that not only aren't they in the way, they also make you significantly more engaged in what you're doing.

The AI is basic yet sufficient for the task at hand. The game isn't trying to be a hardcore experience but still manages to deliver an AI good enough to, occasionally, present you with notable challenges.

Textures, style and general visuals are something that the developers seem to have had a problem with. Although it looks good and performs fantastically it still feel it's lacking in personal style. However, the gameplay compensates for this by great measure.
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    Best 'ARCADE' style shooting game I've ever played. The gun sounds are perfect and the feel right. It's a straight forward, linear, aim and shoot shoot fest. For the silly retail price, you won't find a better gaming bargain today.
  49. Aug 28, 2013
    Fun game; short. Just like this review. A bit repetitive. Just like this review. Bought it on sale for cheap, cannot beat the value. Just like this re
  50. Aug 12, 2013
    Great fun which is all i want from a game tbqh my only complaint is length and replayability are lacking (though i still replayed it plenty) a sequel or even dlc would be great and solve all my issues with the game and remember it is still 15 bucks.
  51. Aug 7, 2013
    Returning to it's roots, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger does it's precursors good after a series of "corporate farts" for lack of a better descriptive phrase. Gunplay is solid, gameplay is fun, characters~well... lets just leave it at the gameplay is fun.
  52. Aug 2, 2013
    Patrząc na nowego CoJ, wspomninam czasy starych Call of Juarez. Chociażby świetne "Więzy krwi". Ta grafika, ta fabuła, do tego klimat skarbu Juarez. Szkoda że Gunslinger nie mógł zapewnić mi żadnej z tych cech. Grafiki nawet nie chce mi sie komentować, takiej zlepki zamazanych tekstur nie widziałem nawet w najstarszym Call of Juarez. Prowadzenie fabuły jest ciekawe, jeżeli chodzi oPatrząc na nowego CoJ, wspomninam czasy starych Call of Juarez. Chociażby świetne "Więzy krwi". Ta grafika, ta fabuła, do tego klimat skarbu Juarez. Szkoda że Gunslinger nie mógł zapewnić mi żadnej z tych cech. Grafiki nawet nie chce mi sie komentować, takiej zlepki zamazanych tekstur nie widziałem nawet w najstarszym Call of Juarez. Prowadzenie fabuły jest ciekawe, jeżeli chodzi o opowiadanie całej historii przez głównego bochatera, szkoda tylko że tak spektakularna końcówka była prze zemnie przewidziana już w połowie gry. Brakuje mi tutaj klimatu westernu znanego z "Więzy krwi", naprawdę dobrego klimatu a nie sztucznie utworzonego, przez pokazaniu osób bez żadnych cech. Brak tu również skarbu Juarez, który miał tak dużą rolę w serii. Bugi również przeszkadzają w rozgrywce. Przez cutscenki czy inne elementy widać ograniczony budżet. Naprawdę Techland, nie stać was na coś więcej? No dobra, ogólnie da się w to jeszcze grać. Jest to przecież ciekawy westernowy FPS. Moja ocena 6/10 Expand
  53. Aug 1, 2013
    Again in the wild west. I don`t know what they were smoking when they made Call of Juarez The Cartel. But now it is time to send more hours in the wild west whitout fully automatic rifles.
  54. Jul 24, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let’s hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.

The story is presented as a mere flashback, with

The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas Greaves, the bounty hunter, recounting his achievements across the American west as he holds court at a local saloon. At any moment though, the story might change as Greaves recalls something he forgot to mention or a listener gives him hard time for one supposed “fact” or another.

When it comes to game-play, you might be finding yourself fending off an Apache ambush in the middle of a hunt for fleeing bandits, only for someone to ask why there are suddenly Native Americans in the mix. Greaves then recounts and explains, “No, they ambushed me like they were Apaches,” at which point the scene changes as your attackers suddenly transform into outlaws.

This happens repeatedly throughout Gunslinger. The environment transforms itself right in front of the player, and an confined space could suddenly have an exit that Greaves forgot to mention. At one point, your path leads to a deadly encounter with the end of a speeding mine cart, complete with a Game Over screen that quickly disappears as the game rewinds while Greaves explains how stupid it would have been to take that particular path.

The unusual story progression does put a nice twist on what would otherwise be a linear FPS. Gunslinger embraces a much more ambitious look than past Call of Juarez games. Vibrant colored textures that heavily emphasize shadows to the unique look of Gearbox Software’s Borderlands games, but the overall feel falls closer to that of a graphic novel.

players also have the option of playing around with either Duel or Arcade modes. Duel is a boss rush mode that pits you against key enemies from the story in a quickdraw arena. The quickdraw mini-game however is a weak element in Gunslinger, with players needing to juggle a pair of meters by twiddling the left and right thumb sticks. It’s a solution to an aspect of Wild West lore that doesn’t entirely translate into good nor entertaining game-play.

Arcade mode though offers much more in the way of replay value, with breaking the story’s intense combat moments up into a chain of discrete encounters. You can simply max out a single skill tree in the course of one play-through, but you can’t go much further than that. Arcade acknowledges this with a “loadout” selection at the start of each challenge.

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013′s Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  55. Jul 24, 2013
    Great game, fun, the story line and story telling is entertaining and quirky, especially how the environment can change after Silas or others change the narration. Oh, and to those who rated this game poorly because of the FoV and black border, you can fix both with a simple console command!

My only issue was the poor (or non-existent) anti-aliasing and the black outline around everything, though the latter to a lesser extent, and the lack of weapons' variety at least compared to the first to CoJ.

For its price, and what you get, its a steal.
  56. Jul 23, 2013
    Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger has a really cool and new storytelling-style. It's has also a really good feedback of hits, so you are really motivated. The gameplay features are pretty cool. You feel like a cowboy, but not like a real. You can't ride on horses or something like that. If there were more western features, it would be one of the best and coolest yeah!) first person shooters, I played!
  57. Jul 22, 2013
    It's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game wasIt's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game was well worth my money. Expand
  58. Jul 19, 2013
    Sometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the oneSometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the one pivotal character that gets to interact with all of the great legends of the Wild West.

The rest of the experience, IMHO, becomes secondary to the joy of being able to have a shootout with any famous name from all the books and movies you already know. That said, the hits and misses still come out on the positive end. Of the Juarez games, this ended up being my favorite without a doubt.
  59. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with great story telling and excellent visuals. This game took my breathe away with its scenery. I was constantly checking my CPU temp wondering why this game ran so smoothly when it looks so gorgeous. I cant stress enough how well done the environment was designed, and how shocked I am at how little resources it needs to run it.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic. But this game brings a lot of individualism to the table. The storytelling and artistic elements are what make this game a quality title. There are also a lot of genuine wild west references, so western fans will get a huge kick out of this game.
    Overall, this game offers nothing new or intuitive in terms of gameplay, but has some amazing storytelling, beautiful and high quality graphics, and a lot of good humor.
    At a base price of 15 bucks, this game is a worthy buy for any fps fan.
  60. Jul 19, 2013
    Pretty good value considering the price. There isn't much variety to the gameplay, but it's very fun if you're just after a wild west killing spree.

Where it really shined for me was the story telling. The voice acting is very good, accompanying art is outstanding, and the way old Silas backtracks through his story, and happens to remember a path/opening/ladder that escaped his previous attention is quite amusing. There's not much to the actual story, a cowboy seeking revenge, but I found myself wanting to hear the story unfold.

I got about 5 hours out of one play through of the main story line. Was happy considering it cost less than $20.
  61. Jul 17, 2013
    I remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this gameI remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this game is on rails you can experience some awesome moments thanks to cool gameplay mechanics like bullet time and others. One of the best things in this game is the way in which the story is being told, throughout the game every moment will be narrated by one of the best narrators out there but unfortunately I can't spoil anything so... But there are some funny moments in this game. This is a wild West game so we have to talk about Duels. They are so much fun, there are two ways in which you can kill your opponents in a duel, you can kill in a honourable way or you can be an and kill your opponent drawing your gun very early. There is only one problem I have with this game, its length, I want this game to be longer, it took me 5h to beat this game but keep in mind this game have lots of replay value, after you beat the game you can play it again on NewGame+ mod which unlocks every weapon in the game so you can use it from the start, this may sound like an easy mode but no, enemies are hard to kill I mean very hard to kill. Lastly, call of Juarez gunslinger is one of the best titles released this year and for only 15dollars I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  62. Jul 17, 2013
    just excellent shooter, great graphics and story, very funny at times you learn a lot about these outlaws because game gives you a lot of info from that era. I've played all FPS on the marker, recently Sniper Ghost Warrior which is also very good but this game is lot of fun, some levels have such a great setting I would just walk around there without even shooting!
  63. Jul 12, 2013
    Best arcade shoter game ever i have played
    .Like the old style guns and allover perfect only i miss is multiplayer but no big deal the game have a very good story. Bang for bucks.
  64. Jul 10, 2013
    Beautifully made..story structured nicely..nice narration..nice game modes too..i just wished story was a little bit bigger.. I really enjoyed the game!
  65. Jun 26, 2013
    Great arcade shooter with immersive story-telling, included with talent trees, classic western-themed landscapes, most famous outlaws of the west and the classic western showdowns. With this game Techland made it up for their horrible CoJ: The Cartel. Overall this is an awesome western shooter with an awesome price tag: 14,99
  66. Jun 24, 2013
    For such an inexpensive title, Gunslinger is surprisingly fun. If you don't expect the next great wonder of the world, you'll have fun with this title, which is easily the best in the series. Although it shares absolutely no story from the first two CoJ games, that's okay; the cheesy plot is given life by being told through the memories of a grizzled, old gunslinger who is full of tallFor such an inexpensive title, Gunslinger is surprisingly fun. If you don't expect the next great wonder of the world, you'll have fun with this title, which is easily the best in the series. Although it shares absolutely no story from the first two CoJ games, that's okay; the cheesy plot is given life by being told through the memories of a grizzled, old gunslinger who is full of tall tales, and is unafraid to use them. I had fun with Gunslinger, more than I've had with most games in its price range, and even though the arcade-style shooting gets repetitive, if you take breaks and play other games in between Gunslinger sessions it maintains its charm throughout its short campaign.

I can't believe, by the way, how good it looks! The dev team milked the Chrome engine for all it's worth, and the results are colorful and full of wonderful detail. CoJ:G is a pretty and pretty fun game that won't set you back more than it's worth.
  67. Jun 22, 2013
    Cowboys and their world. I just don't get the American's fascination with them.However, I do get a good game when I play it.
    I must say that lately some budget games have been putting AAA titles to shame and Gunslinger is no exception. The gameplay mechanics feel more arcade than the previous Call Of Juarez games but it fits perfectly with the 'tall tale' style narrative of the game.
    Worthy of note is the bullet dodging system which literally allows you to.. well... dodge the bullet and live another day. The stand off mechanics is deep and tense making duels far more enjoyable than previous games in the series. Also, this is no a particularly short game, in fact it lasted longer than some full priced titles. And even better, you'll have a hoot running and gunning and dull moments are not to be found.
    A worthy game that punches well above it's price point. Heck, they could have gotten away with a $50-$60 price tag, instead they only ask for $18. Brilliant.
  68. Jun 19, 2013
    My expectations was not very high for this game after the disaster that was the Cartel. But after hearing good things about the game i decided to give the franchise another shot. And i am happy that i did just that.

The games main campaign is quite solid. The area variety is quite nice and there are some quite cool ares in the game. The enemy variety is basically what you would expect from a cowboy game but they have thrown in some bosses which is a nice touch. The weapon variety could be a bit better but it never becomes a issue since the campaign isnt the longest one out there. The weapons in the game are however quite tough and fun to use.

The different missions in the game is chained together by a narrator who sits in a bar and tells a story. The story in itself is actually quite good but what really surprised me what how well the handled the whole narrator format. The voice acting is great and the narrator and his listeners will discuss the events in the bar which is a really nice touch. But what is really cool is that the world changes depending on the narration which really benefits the story and atmosphere.

Another thing that the developers really succeed with is the shooting. The shooting in the game is really fun with some tough mechanics like bullet-dodging. The gameplay do overall feel really solid even though it never really moves away from the standard fps format. Horse riding combat etc would be nice.
    One thing i should mention is the duels. The duels are certainly not terrible but the do feel like the weakest part of the gameplay.

Summary: Call of Juarez Gunslinger was a fresh breath of air for me. The game delivers a really solid campaign with excellent shooting mechanics and well put together gameplay. The campaign could be a bit longer (around six hours) but i believe that it delivers more than enough considering the games cheap price. There are also some other game-modes like arcade and duel which you can spend some time on.
  69. Jun 17, 2013
    I need to rewrite my review of this which I wrote in haste. This is the first time I tried to play for any duration and the postbox field of view has me feeling so ill I just can play it. Reminds me of why i had to get rid of my console. Catastrophic and a pity as it was a fun game.

No replay value at all so a very short linear game but worth it if you get it cheap and need some entertainment for the weekend unless looking through a tiny letterbox field of view makes you ill.
  70. Jun 17, 2013
    The Call of Juarez franchise certainly went down hill after the first two. If you never played the first two you might like this one. Beyond the name of "Call of Juarez" there is no similarity. This version has no plot, beyond going from place to place killing famous wild west characters in an arcade way. The cartoony graphics are unappealing, noisy and too busy, making itThe Call of Juarez franchise certainly went down hill after the first two. If you never played the first two you might like this one. Beyond the name of "Call of Juarez" there is no similarity. This version has no plot, beyond going from place to place killing famous wild west characters in an arcade way. The cartoony graphics are unappealing, noisy and too busy, making it uncomfortable. Of course if you liked the Borderlands graphics you'll like this. After the disaster of "Cartel" Techland returned to it's roots of the old West but completely fail at regaining the glory of the first two games. The $15 price tag was a clue. Sad. Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2013
    Brillant shooter with Wild West bcakground. The story telling is superb, haven't seen any game like this before. The whole single palyer campaign is about 7 hours which is pretty good for a downable title. However you can spend another 10 hours in arcade mode. The game didn't let feel down for a single minute!
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    Best 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through everyBest 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through every nook and cranny of the levels is worth it. The guns and gunplay was done brilliantly not since the iD Doom/Rage shotgun have I had so much fun shooting! (everything from badguys to rusty coffee cans to chickens)
    The gameplay mechanics on bullet time, bullet dodging and duels was executed perfectly. The story ideas were well thought out and engaging, with an original story telling idea that you play both what the legend tells, and what the actual history was. (with the legend and the reality usually being wildly different)
    A short game, but lots of replayabilty with different game play modes and leaderboards, etc.
    If Ubi set out to atone for the horrible mess that was "C.o.J The Cartel" then they have redeemed themselves totally, and have made what is quite possibly one of the best western games ever made.
    Totally worth the new release price of 15$ and a must have if it ever goes on sale!
  73. JEK
    Jun 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Last week I was reading the review section and there are lots of positive reviews so I decided to get the game. At first it's quite fun because it's been a long time since I've played a western shooting game. Aftter the 2nd episode I felt like it's purely shooting game, your mission is to shoot and shoot and shoot.
    I like the blood splatter, the concentration, the 1 on 1 showdown. But overall it's like an arcade game with movement.

The narrative is very good but the problem is they overdo it. The game was very short. I was expecting Horse riding or any special Mission.

Overall, the game was smooth, the graphics good, AI cardboard AI.

The collection of nuggets was great to see the story of every outlaw.

It's an average game.
  74. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely the best part of Call of Juarez series. If You like good western climate and a good fps You will love this game. Plot is nice, collectibles are even making it better. Guns and possibilities are also fine. And there are some activities that allow You to continue fun after ending the main game. Techland is a Polish firm and I'm proud of it.
  75. Jun 8, 2013
    Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings.Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings. This could be why the price was so reasonable. Still, this game was fun and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished it. Expand
  76. Jun 6, 2013
    Awesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun asAwesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun as much as possible and thats what it sure does. Western would have to be second in my book of most favorite game styles. Its worth the money i must say. also the cut scenes are skip-able if i remember correctly. 10/10 Expand
  77. Jun 6, 2013
    It is hard to rate this game by comparing it with other games. So lets keep the facts based on the game. Gunslinger tells us the story of how the protagonist is killing and interacting with famous western Characters, like Billy the Kid or the Dalton Brothers. Every character has its own Story that is told which is in general combined to an overall story of the protagonist.
    The gameplay is
    The gameplay is very basic and as far as I can say, the shooting itself is relatively unprecice. Very often I was wondering myself why I didnt hit an enemy even though I was definitivly sure I hit.
    Along with that the game comes with a score based rating, which counts your headshots and combo kills and rates it.
    Funny parts of the game are definitivly when the story is changed while telling and so does the level at the same time. This is something that makes Gunslinger pretty unique.

In general comapred to other Shooters, this game is more then average but only costs 15 Euros so its worth its price and thats why I give it a 7 out of 10
  78. Jun 6, 2013
    I played the 2 first levels of the story mode and my 1st impression is Wouaw!
    Graphics, voices, sounds of gunfire and ambient are beautiful.
    It's possible to specialize in a branch like in borderlands (Talent Tree).
    I've played many FPS but never a FPS with a Western environment but now I'm really in love!
  79. Jun 5, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let's hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.
    The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013's Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  80. Jun 3, 2013
    For a quick $15, this game has been a lot of fun. The variety of weapons, skills to upgrade, and enjoyable gameplay make it a great game. Ordinarily, I would give this game an 8, but seeing the budget price tag combined with a load of fun made me give this game a 9. It reminds me of the cheap but enjoyable shooters of the late 90s.
  81. Jun 2, 2013
    After the complete and utter failure that was the previous installment I was thrilled to see Juarez returned to its rightful place in the late 1800's West. The price caught my eye and for a price that low it told me one of two things, it is either very very short or it is not an official installment. Well, I was right on both.

The first thing you are going to notice after the cutscene

The first thing you are going to notice after the cutscene ends when you start is this God awful horrendous black ugly border that surrounds your screen. Once you've recovered from the shock you're going to notice the graphics look very familiar to Boringlands. Oops I mean Borderlands. Yes, that ugly black cartoon style outline on every character, object and detail. Even the character introduction screens are done the same comic book way. By now you're thinking "Well it must be all down hill from here." Oh no, not true at all. You are rewarded with very bloody headshots and very satisfying showdowns, NOW it's all down hill from here.

The gameplay is arcade rail-type. Shoot and move if you will, while you can pick up rifles for those long range kills you realize that areas are so small you can run through the whole game with a single pistol on its hardest setting. Health is another noticeable issue, how do you die? Can you die? It's annoying when you are killed easy and enemies can take five shotgun shells to the face and live, but when it's the complete opposite it's even more annoying. Yes there are upgrades but what's the point? You're already overpowered as it is. There are "secrets" but they are just pages of background on characters and such. Time wise, you're done and over in roughly four to six hours, three or less on average.

There is no link at all to the first two installments and defiantly not the third. The name "Call of Juarez" has just been slapped on it to sell more then it should. Only Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood are the real story and it has become clear to me that it had officially ended in Bound in Blood. New to the story you should only pick up the first two titles and avoid everything else like the plague and not to feed Techland. This is my third and last game I will purchase from them. They have failed on every level in all three games I have played developed by them to even impress me in the slightest.
  82. CBZ
    Jun 2, 2013
    Fun shooter, with nice unique graphics and cheaper than other games (no MP included)
    The Story is casual and tries to be funny and the mechanics are simple but a bit repetitive. Overall good bang for your buck.
  83. Jun 1, 2013
    This is a great game, and definitely worth $15. The "Old West" theme is really cool, and the way they tell the story through dialog as you are playing is a nice touch. I also enjoyed reading all the "Nuggets of Truth" to learn the true stories about how everything really went down back then.

The game-play is super fun, too, with the constant feeling of progress as you see the XP add up when you shoot the enemies. The gun-play is tight and responsive, and the sounds of all the guns is perfect.

The cel-shaded art style is beautiful, especially on a PC with everything turned up to high. There is no anti-aliasing option, but I usually don't turn that on anyway.

I finished the game in 6 hours and collected most of the Nuggets of Truth during the process. After you finish the game the "New Game mode opens up which allows you to start again with your character fully decked out from the beginning.

I enjoyed this game thoroughly and recommend it to any fan of first person shooters, and especially fans of the "Old West" genre of games.
  84. Jun 1, 2013
    Lol I can't believe you guys give this a 10 out of 10.

Playable yes, fun no. You cannot connect with any characters in this game, the main character is condescending without any reason to act superior. Duels become ruined in this version of the game, hey guys lets add a accuracy bar, which ruins the entire duel leaving the character just spamming left and right. Bound in Blood
    Lol I can't believe you guys give this a 10 out of 10.

Playable yes, fun no.

Bound in Blood had the best dueling system it just gets harder and harder with each duel and no hud.

The screen is cluttered with hud everytime you shoot something.

For some reason the developers removed the corner shooting system entirely inside of Call of Juarez The Cartel, then in this version they ruined corner shooting all together, in the first 2 games if you are faced next to an object both of your guns get tilted up, it feels like you are actually in a gun fight. But in this one, only 1 gun will be held up, while the other one is entirely stationary like your aren't even behind cover.

With cartoon graphics heavy charcoal outlines it looks like diarhea, who in their right minds would make a western shooter like Call of Juarez with cartoon graphics.

People who give this game a 10 obviously haven't played the other Call of Juarez games.

Call of Duty is ruining this game industry, with these perks and Jeeeeezus.

Needs massive patches before it actually becomes good, maybe a mode with no perks, or a way to remove the heavy black outline, or a way to get legacy duels.

I know you trolls don't know what a real Real Call of Juarez game is, but the first 2 were damn good.
  85. Jun 1, 2013
    call of juarez gunslinger is a great fun game!!!! the game has few and little stuff it doesnt do right, but for 15$ its really worth the money. the voice acting in the game is great. the game also tells the story in a really awesome and unique way. the guns feel strong and powerful. the gunplay is just plain fun. the collectibles are exellent as well. they tell real stories about the wildcall of juarez gunslinger is a great fun game!!!! the game has few and little stuff it doesnt do right, but for 15$ its really worth the money. the voice acting in the game is great. the game also tells the story in a really awesome and unique way. the guns feel strong and powerful. the gunplay is just plain fun. the collectibles are exellent as well. they tell real stories about the wild west. this stories are really interesting and make for great collectibles. the music isnt particularly good, but it feels in context with the game( dont take me wrong im not hating on the music i actually pretty like it). another really good aspect of gunslinger is the graphics. the graphics are actually really good. some lighting effects are spectacular. another really strong aspect about the game is the artstyle. its just amazing. there are tons of views and vistas to marvel at. the game has a great old west feel, and they really nailed hit. the music, artstyle and leveldesign really made a good wild west atmosphere. there are also little stuff that are done pretty well. introductions to guns and people are really cool. dual wielding pistols is also really fun.
    the story is good. it moves the action pretty good and it gets better along the way. the cutscenes have a cool style.
    now to the bad stuff. the thing that most annoyed me is the dueling system. ITS ABSOLUTELY CRAP!!!!! the dueling system is annoying. its a good idea, but its executed really bad. another annoying thing is that some times death feels cheap. the game has a few bugs and glitches, theyre not so bad though. the game also could have benefited of more guns. my final complaint is that the game is a bit repetetive. its not too bad, but considering how the locations are varied its a bit disapointing that the gameplay is always the same dont get me wrong, the gameplay is really fun and great but they should have put more different gameplay to spice things up)
    overall i really enjoyed call of juarez gunslinger!!! this is a great shooter, and for 15$ its totally worth it. if you want a wild west game, than this is what your looking for, its just awesome!!!!!!!!
  86. May 31, 2013
    While being a big fan Of the series I was very dissapointed in this one. With a very poor storyline that had you jumping from one part of the country to another with very little Consistency was pretty disappointing also the fact that the colors were very washed out no multiplayer or cut scenes and very poor weapon choice made this game for me a very big flop. For a much better experienceWhile being a big fan Of the series I was very dissapointed in this one. With a very poor storyline that had you jumping from one part of the country to another with very little Consistency was pretty disappointing also the fact that the colors were very washed out no multiplayer or cut scenes and very poor weapon choice made this game for me a very big flop. For a much better experience with a game from this series I would heartily recommend Bound In Blood Expand
  87. May 30, 2013
    Clever storytelling, pretty visuals, garrulous charm, appealing sense of style, satisfying gunplay, solid mechanics, snappy pacing, decent length and a very reasonable price. Real positive, fun, surprise this.
  88. May 30, 2013
    Call of juarez gunslinger is an extremely fun title with a hole lot of twists and turns. You are a man named Silus Greaves telling 4 people at an inn your story. The art style is similar to borderlands, there are three game modes which all are very fun and intresting.
  89. May 30, 2013
    After the last Call of Juarez game was a failed reach for the stars somebody went back to the roots. A simple and fun arcade shooter.

A rather strange decision was to tack on a leveling system and skills. While it sounds like fun it lead to a limited number of enemies to prevent you from getting unlimited XP and in turn an at times rather dull story mode. Which is also pretty short and has some strange quirks like giving you default weapons at the start of each level instead of your favorites.

In essence, if you haven't played 'Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood start there. If you liked it and absolutely need new stuff try Gunslinger but don't expect it to be better.

Still it's not a bad game. I'll give it a 7.
  90. May 29, 2013
    This game is just a shooting gallery simulator with a western theme.
    If you don't mind this, go ahead, but if you are looking for something more or even for the qualities of the great first Call of Juarez, you will again be disappointed.
    This game is just a shooting gallery simulator with a western theme.

There is nothing to challenge your mind and there is nothing to explore (except some bland collectibles). You are basically moving on rails through this western setting and there is nothing but shooting. You don't care for your cardboard opponents, you don't care for anything, you just shoot stuff and get points for it. The narrative in the background even tells you what's happening next in this bland plot, so you won't even experience much surprises on your own.

The graphics feels a bit like a half hearted borderlands copy and it misses a general sense of clearness, especially with the use of colours, so things can get confusing to where your opponents are and where to go.

Besides all that, the gun play itself is pretty neat, it feels good and the sound is crunchy, and getting points for shooting stuff is almost always fun for some time, but that's about it.

The game could have worked better as a light gun shooter on real rails, because then it wouldn't even give you the impression that there is something else and it could have concentrated more on a better, more action packed and surprising pacing.

The way it is, it's a game to be forgotten fast.
  91. May 28, 2013
    For $15 you get a serviceable, old west arcade shooter.

The gameplay is formulaic and can get samey, consisting of the main "shooting gallery" style gameplay and a dueling mini-game. The plot is what you'd expect from a $15 game: tacked on and goofy. The entire game takes place in the form of flashbacks from various characters telling tall-tales about Old West outlaws. The skill
    For $15 you get a serviceable, old west arcade shooter.

The skill system is extremely linear; you basically choose one of the three weapons to improve (revolver, rifle and shotgun) and choose from a set of two trees.

Call of Juarez is a polished shoot 'em up shrunk down into a bite-sized budget game. It doesn't have much depth, the plot is paper thin and there isn't much gameplay variety, but for $15 it will hold your attention for at least a few hours.
  92. May 28, 2013
    Great game, great story.
    This is probaly one of the best wild west games, besides Red Dead Redemption.
    This game is worth the 15 euro on Steam, who doesn't love a game with Billy the kid, Pat Garrett and Jesse James?
    Go buy this game now and stop reading the reviews, this is clearly one of the best games of 2013.
  93. May 28, 2013
    A straightforward linear wild west shooter, voice acting is good, shootouts fun and the game has a good coat of polish. Price is cheap because the developers did not worry about unwanted multi player and other nonsense. Runs very smoothly on NVIDIA hardware.
  94. May 27, 2013
    The game really defeated my expectations after the horrid "Cartel" sequel that came before it. The narrative is phenomenally done for just an Arcade shooter, and the gameplay is fluid and entertaining. Other than the less than stellar graphics, I had no complaints about this good 15 dollar game.
  95. May 27, 2013
    This has probably been one of the best arcade shooters I played over the past five or so years.
    The most unique aspect in this game is probably the storytelling. The story is predictable, but still very interesting and unique.
    The gameplay and combat shines really well in the game the combos, upgrade paths and challenging levels make the game really fun and challenging in a good way.
    Duel mode seems to be frustrating and not fun at all, graphics and FOV options are limited. These are the only gripes I have with the game.
    For such a small price, the package is definitely worth the price. I never expected something so polished and well-made.
  96. May 27, 2013
    An amazing western arcade shooter. Great Storytelling,Unique graphics and fantastic gameplay. its way better than i expected and its definitely worth the money.
  97. May 27, 2013
    Fantastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration. I like the focus on getting high scores and combos. Texture quality and weapon variety were lacking, but for a straight shooter at this price, it's unexpectedly polished and thoroughly enjoyable. The best wild west shooter I'veFantastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration. I like the focus on getting high scores and combos. Texture quality and weapon variety were lacking, but for a straight shooter at this price, it's unexpectedly polished and thoroughly enjoyable. The best wild west shooter I've ever played, and out of all the Techland games I've experienced, I feel it's their best effort by far.

Also, you know what? I'm GLAD they didn't shoehorn in a multiplayer mode which would've taken away development time that instead went into improving the core of the game. Besides, I felt that the arcade and dueling modes suited this game much better. It's a 4 to 6-hour long, $15 singleplayer-focused experience.

It's not the greatest port, but I didn't get any issues whatsoever, and it ran at about 35 to 40 fps on my Core 2 Duo Radeon HD 6570 combo (not even an entry-level gaming machine). Didn't run into a single bug either. I was happy they added in the option to change the FOV via config files, but it should've been there since day one. At least the default was 82 horizontal which I thought was reasonable, though 90 would've been ideal. Also, while this does support resolutions for all aspect ratios, the game will always display in a 16:9 letterbox with horizontal black bars if you're running at a non-16:9 resolution. It's likely intentional for a more cinematic effect, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Just a head's up.
  98. May 26, 2013
    Great value for money, enjoyable campaign, great shooting and skill upgrades. Now has an FOV setting for the FOV Nazis who gave this game a zero rating.

I completed it on Easy in 7 hours in one sitting, and had a load of fun. Now playing through on new-game plus on hard settings, where your unlocks and weapons carry over. The graphic style, voice work and sound are brilliant, and

The graphic style, voice work and sound are brilliant, and the unreliable narrator is genuinely interesting and funny, however the twist ending is a bit predictable.
  99. May 25, 2013
    Finished this game on Hard difficulty. I must say that console mechanics ruined this game. Duels are frustrating, as well as quick time events. Nice, still predictable story. Fun to play, but only first half of the game, because gameplay is repetitive.
  100. May 25, 2013
    I dont understand how all the game magazines could rate this game 70 I just dont get it. This game has GREAT western story telling and incredibly fun gunplay, good music and a great song on one part of the story.. rating the whole package 70 is just plain wrong. Its like not honoring a cream cheese bagel it is AT LEAST 80... I wonder what IGNorants are going to say to the pc version ForI dont understand how all the game magazines could rate this game 70 I just dont get it. This game has GREAT western story telling and incredibly fun gunplay, good music and a great song on one part of the story.. rating the whole package 70 is just plain wrong. Its like not honoring a cream cheese bagel it is AT LEAST 80... I wonder what IGNorants are going to say to the pc version For me, i love everything about this game and so should you! Expand

1. Jul 30, 2013
    The Call of Juarez series has had its ups and downs over the years, but Gunslinger stands proud—not only against its own checkered past, but against the FPS genre as a whole. It may not be a subtle or particularly nuanced experience, but it's certainly a cracking good time delivered with a style and confidence that's rarely seen in a full-priced title, let alone a $15 download.
    Call of Juarez returns to western genre, and that is fine. A pity though, it imitates itself, even its competition. However, this story is worth it even without a happy-ending. [Issue#231]
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Don’t mistake price for quality – this is a top-notch shooter, limited in resources but not in heart.