Call of Juarez: Gunslinger PC

8.2

1. Aug 10, 2016
    God Damn Good Game, CoD is hiding in fear from CoJ:G, this game absolutely marvelous, great climax, good graphicks, amazing voiceacting, there is absolutely nothing u can't love in this game. I aprove 10/10.
    MUST PLAY
  2. Jul 18, 2016
    One of the best games I have ever played. It is not just words. If you are fond of Westerns, this game is for you! There are an interesting story, good gameplay, awesome soundtrack and, what really matters, a splendid artstyle (looks like a comics)! The best game of CoJ franchise.
  3. Jul 3, 2016
    A very unique and enjoyable shooter, you play as a famous bounty hunter who's telling his tales in a bar, and you get to act them out as he does from his perspective. There's a demo on Steam so you can try it out first, it totally sold me on the game. I finished the story in just under 5 hours, but there's also a high score arcade mode, as well as new game+ which lets you do the storyA very unique and enjoyable shooter, you play as a famous bounty hunter who's telling his tales in a bar, and you get to act them out as he does from his perspective. There's a demo on Steam so you can try it out first, it totally sold me on the game. I finished the story in just under 5 hours, but there's also a high score arcade mode, as well as new game+ which lets you do the story again on a higher difficulty. Overall I really enjoyed it and it was only £5.99 in the sale. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2016
    A surprisingly strong comeback from what I am told is a subpar series, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a singleplayer-only FPS that ranks among the top Wild West-flavored games I've played- and there are admittedly not many. You take the role of one Silas Greaves, quick-shooting, hard-drinking bounty hunter who rolls into Abilene, Kansas one day in 1910 for a drink and winds up relating theA surprisingly strong comeback from what I am told is a subpar series, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a singleplayer-only FPS that ranks among the top Wild West-flavored games I've played- and there are admittedly not many. You take the role of one Silas Greaves, quick-shooting, hard-drinking bounty hunter who rolls into Abilene, Kansas one day in 1910 for a drink and winds up relating the story of his life to his fellow bar patrons. This provides the framing device for a series of pitched gunfights as the fictional Silas goes on a Forest Gump-ian trip through the old West, coming face to face with a long list of real outlaws of history. Gunslinger takes advantage of the cult of mystique that time in history has accrued, and the mysterious circumstances surrounding the deaths of some of these outlaws, to weave a tall tale of robbery and revenge that is just far-fetched enough to be plausible. Silas earns experience from his kills and levels up, giving the player a point to spend in Gunslinger, Ranger and Trapper skill trees, which upgrade revolvers, lever-action rifles and shotguns, respectively. You can also throw dynamite, and use bullet-time, upgrades for both are seeded through all three skill trees. It is possible to earn all skills eventually, though this will take more then one playthrough. When Silas comes up against a legend of the west, the player will engage in a duel minigame that has you focus his sight on target, adjust his hand for a faster draw, and then choose to shoot before or after your opponent draws for a dishonorable or honorable kill. Scattered throughout the story levels are collectibles called "Nuggets of Truth" that when found confer an experience bonus and give you some real historical background about the people, places, events and objects you see on your journey. In addition to Normal and Hard, there is a "True West" difficulty mode unlocked after completing the game once that disables your hud. Aside from the story, there is an arcade mode with pre-made levels distinct from the story, and a duel mode that comprises additional dueling challenges. Gunslinger is alive with a vibrant, cell-shaded art style, excellent voice acting, sound and music, and overall presents an incredible deal for the price. If you have not played a Call of Juarez game before, as was the case with me, you should probably start here. A must play for any Western fan. Expand
  5. Jun 20, 2016
    Excellent Western genre FPS with fresh gameplay, solid sound fx & music, stylish visuals, a great story, top-notch voice acting, and an immersive experience that allows you to feel like a wild west renegade. A bit on the shorter side (completed the campaign in 6hrs), but since I got this for $1 from a humble bundle (catch it on sale on steam as well), it's still an insane value!

"New

"New Game +" allows for additonal plays through the campaign keeping the skill-tree progress you've developed by gaining experience points (from headshots/combos/etc). Occasionally, the gameplay feels a bit like "Where's Waldo?" since most of the enemies hide behind cover or blend in with environment, but there's a huge variety among the 15 levels. I personally favored the dual 6-shooters, but found that more powerful weapons (the ranger, rifle, shotgun, dynamite, etc) were necessary to succeed in later levels. Overall a great gaming experience.
  6. Apr 16, 2016
    Cool, fun, unique! We need more games like that.
    The story is enjoyable and the little twists and turns along the way keep it interesting and even funny.
  7. Feb 27, 2016
    If you are searching for a first-person shooter set in the Wild West which isn't too long but captures the essence of a Clint Eastwood movie in a playable form, then I would immediately recommend Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The latest entry in Techland's western franchise pulls out all the stops and delivers a wonderfully satisfying Western shooter experience with a delicious helping ofIf you are searching for a first-person shooter set in the Wild West which isn't too long but captures the essence of a Clint Eastwood movie in a playable form, then I would immediately recommend Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The latest entry in Techland's western franchise pulls out all the stops and delivers a wonderfully satisfying Western shooter experience with a delicious helping of plot mixed in as well.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger follows the story of Silas Greaves - or rather, it follows the story of him recounting his recollections to a group of incredulous bar patrons. And they have a right to be incredulous as he makes increasingly outlandish claims, from inadvertently starting the Gunfight at the OK Corral to riding with Billy the Kid and claiming to have killed various famous figures of the period, including Newman Hayes "Old Man" Clanton, George "Flat-Nose" Curry, two of the Dalton Brothers and even Jesse James himself, but one unmistakeable detail remains clear - for very personal reasons he had been hunting Roscoe "Bob" Bryant, a man who had wronged him many years ago.

The gameplay has you playing through Silas's alcohol-addled recollections, which often change and shift as Silas tells his tale - ranging from bridges or paths miraculously appearing to an entire army of Apaches DISappearing. As unreliable a narrator as he is though, you just have to love Silas, as well as the characters he speaks with in the bar. All of them have much more personality than the standard FPS player-goons, and indeed the game's plot rides largely on these characters and the interactions they have with each other. As you play you find yourself eagerly following Silas's story, no matter how fanciful or nonsensical it may be, and at the end you'll find a twist which will leave you quite surprised.

To call the gameplay typical, no-nonsense FPS fare would be doing it a grave disservice. This game takes the FPS formula and turns it up to 11. Almost every other second you're ploughing through hordes of bandits and outlaws with a rifle, a shotgun or a pair of trusty revolvers, all of which are immensely satisfying to use. It's like playing through a spaghetti western; no expense is spared on the action at all and very rarely is there a moment where everyone isn't up in arms, all guns blazing.

But that's not all - at the end of most of the levels you'll take part in a standoff with one of many characters, and with these the game changes dramatically. Whereas in the levels proper you'll be shooting baddies willy-nilly, in a Standoff things are much different. You'll have to carefully balance your focus and your hand position to get the best draw speed and accuracy to kill your opponent (or on occasion, opponentS) before they do the same to you. Alternatively you can just up and shoot them first, but that results in the game penalises you for killing your opponent "dishonourably"; the loading screen menus also remind you that "history will remember you as a coward" if you do this. These tense, high-focus standoffs serve as a satisfying break from the action, whilst also elevating the game's challenge - I'd often find myself dying in standoffs about as many times as I did in the whole preceding level.

The weapons used in the game aren't very varied but neither were the weapons of the Wild West time period. There's four different sidearms, that's three pistols and one revolver, a rifle with a "sawed off" variant which appears later in the game and a shotgun, making for seven weapons total, so while the weapons choice is limited as per the time period restraints, anything more would feel like too much. You can pick your favourite sidearm and couple it with a primary weapon to match, depending on whether you prefer fighting at range or in close quarters.

This perfectly balanced variation on the weaponry is complimented by a perk system, allowing you to upgrade Silas's abilities in relation to your play style. Gaining perks also allows you to unlock Legendary weapons - slight misnomers in that they are actually upgrades to the default weapons. The entire system provides a great incentive to try different play styles to find which one suits you the most - my trusty rifle and six-shooters saw me through most of the game.

Critics compared the first Call of Juarez to a "more refined Oblivion". If that is true then one could also compare Gunslinger, to a more refined Wolfenstein or Doom. It has fantastic, high-octane gameplay, a gripping story (even if not all of it is true) and all in all is one of the best FPS games I've played in a while, as well as the best Wild West shooter I've EVER played.
  8. Feb 26, 2016
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is definitely not the best first-person shooter of all time, but it is surely one of the funniest and most satisfying experiences ever created.
  9. ave
    Feb 23, 2016
    To be fair, I've played Call of Juarez twice in easy mode. The game has many qualities, even if some aspect of the gameplay are sometimes confusing or frustrating.

First, it's a story-driven game ("aka constrained"). It's like a journey into the legends of the Wild West along with bounty hunter Silas Greaves. The recreation of the old west is pleasant and inventive. If you pay attention to the story, the game ending might not be a complete surprise, though.

The most pleasant part of the gameplay is (in my opinion), to shoot with two revolvers in your hand. You can still aim and there is no strange "left click for left gun / right click for right gun" scheme. Just click and deliver.

Two other mechanics are also interesting : Focus (time slows down and enemies are highlighted) and Cheat Death (time slows down and you can either lean left or right to dodge bullets). You feel like the real deal.

On the other hand, the game suffers from the fact that sometimes you just can't see who's shooting at you unless you expose yourself to receive a bullet and track down the shooter (the same problem that plagues ROTT Redux).

A last note about the Duel section. The game mechanics completely changes here, you have to position your hand to gain speed, and place a moving target on your opponent to gain accuracy. Once you feel you you have enough of both, you can either shoot before your opponent (not honorable) or shoot after he has drawn and dodge a bullet (honorable). Even if the mechanic is inventive, you really cannot capitalize on it since a duel is kind of draining (especially if you loose) and can drive you out of the game.

But it's a good game anyway :) At least one I enjoyed from the CoJ serie !
  10. Dec 27, 2015
    AMAZING! in every fooooken way. I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this becauseAMAZING! in every fooooken way. I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good.I like this because it is good. Expand
  11. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 8
    Sound : 9
    Overall : 9
  12. Nov 9, 2015
    Way more fun than I ever expected it to be. It's funny, it's fast-paced, and it's incredibly satisfying. While it's over pretty quickly, it's replayable, and there are high-score oriented modes aside from the main story. The core gameplay moves super fast and the shooting never feels repetitive thanks to the challenge of racking up score with combos and tricky shots. Even better, theWay more fun than I ever expected it to be. It's funny, it's fast-paced, and it's incredibly satisfying. While it's over pretty quickly, it's replayable, and there are high-score oriented modes aside from the main story. The core gameplay moves super fast and the shooting never feels repetitive thanks to the challenge of racking up score with combos and tricky shots. Even better, the action is framed by a narration that affects gameplay as the old gunslinger gets his stories mixed up or the audience interjects in the middle of the fights. Amusing and charming, it's a great little western tale wrapped up in a great shooter for a great price. What I'm saying is it's great.

The duel mechanic takes a little getting used to, and feels needlessly awkward at first, but once I got good at the three-eyed stare required, it made me feel pretty awesome. Don't give up if you find yourself getting stuck on those bits, you'll get better.
  13. Oct 21, 2015
    Starts out pretty fun, but gets old pretty fast.
    For one thing it's hard to differentiate the visuals, to pick the characters out from the background, the way they shade everything in a dark high contrast way.
    They could have done something to make the NPCs stand out from the background. The game play, from the visuals and reaction/feedback, makes me feel distanced from the game.
    Starts out pretty fun, but gets old pretty fast.
    They could have done something to make the NPCs stand out from the background.

Then there are the cut scenes. Kind of neat at first but then you see the guy is like the Forest Gump of the Western world. He/you just happen to know all the famous outlaws and cross paths with them all.

Goes from a sort of tolerating humor to being overrun and sanctimonious. I don't want a game telling me so and so outlaw was really a nice person and is just understood and so on.
    The designer(s) of this game took them self a little to seriously.
    At least if I could only skip these dialogs, but many you can't.

I would rather had more action and less silliness.
  14. Oct 1, 2015
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger was short but incredibly fun. Nice visuals and a non stop action packed campaign.

If the campaign was longer I would have given this an 8 or 9.
  15. Sep 24, 2015
    This is a fun game. I like playing a western themed game, the narration and story were spot on. The graphics are well done and sine in 4k. It reminds me of playing the first red dead game. It was made by developers that seemed like they were wanting to make a game they wanted to play themselves.
  16. Sep 8, 2015
    this game is great FPS game. i love this game's shooting hitting sense. but the storyline is distracted a little. and i like it's unique graphic post effects.
  17. Aug 11, 2015
    Go ahead and rent it. A weekend walkthrough. There is nothing new about it. The game feels an like indie title. Restricted budgetwise in many areas. Not too boring but one playthrough is enough already. One more game under my belt, neeeeext. 69/100 from me.

GAMEPLAY First player perspective with few different guns going through tunnels that are to look like open areas. No interactive

GAMEPLAY
    First player perspective with few different guns going through tunnels that are to look like open areas. No interactive surfaces, very simple movement. Enter map, crouch behind a house, point and shoot. Only one route and only one way of dealing with your enemies. Loads of scripted scenes with hundreds of mindless AI.
    I wouldn`t have a problem with it if it wasn`t for the silly sequences where the player ends up surrounded by swarms of enemies spawning repeatedly. You shoot them, a boss appears, you shoot him aaaaaand cutscene. And the whole playthrough goes like this. Very little variety.
    Great part is the duel feature. You use wsad and mouse to ready your hand and you reach it with mouse button and shoot. Fairly simple and cool to use. Every duel is a little different as the player faces historical characters throughout. Overall makes for a good break material in between the usual go there and shoot stuff. The thing is that after a play like that you would want something more, but no. You shoot the guy one on one, then the usual fpp stuff continues to the end.
    The guns look and feel good. Shooting is ok, the hands working look ok. There are some special ‘golden’ guns but besides some special features like +50% reload speed or damage there is nothing more to them. You pick`em, because you`re tired of seeing shot enemies get up again and again.
    Player special skills that you unlock are not interesting at all. Reload wile running, longer focus time, better zoom etc. They`re ok but don`t change the gameplay enough to keep it interesting after the first positive impression that lasts about 1-2 hours.

STORY
    Cliche. Linear adventures with corny dialogues. A tiny bit little twist right at the very end of the story. Bunch of screens, great storytelling by a nice old man like voiceover. Not bad but like I said, nothing new here.
    There are some collectibles called “Nuggets of truth” that are fairly easy to see. You collect them so you can enter a menu with some very interesting notes and stories about the Wild West as a whole. Gives a nice insight to the story, explains some wild west famous mysteries - written quite well and concise so I enjoyed reading all of them.

GRAPHICS
    Cell like graphic style similar to Borderlands with comic like additions. Whether one likes it is totally dependant on one`s taste. Looks good and works well on most PCs. I can`t really say anything more. The environment, maps, models, guns, everything looks alright.

MUSIC
    Good western music. Slow when storytelling, fast when there is action. Makes up for most of the game`s mood. Overall sound quality is top notch and about the only feature in this game I`d say that is better than average.
  18. Jul 10, 2015
    I really enjoyed this game, more than I thought I would. Nice 6-7 hour romp through the Wild West with a pretty solid narration/story as you go. Good fights and areas, nice duels, good pacing.
  19. Rem
    Jul 7, 2015
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, while being radically different from its full release brothers of the same name, is a more fleshed and meaty experience by deviating into a more experimental path. Walking in the boots of a famous bounty hunter as he recalls the story through his eyes as he narrates brings really neat gameplay elements such as someone calling him on his bluff, and an element ofCall of Juarez: Gunslinger, while being radically different from its full release brothers of the same name, is a more fleshed and meaty experience by deviating into a more experimental path. Walking in the boots of a famous bounty hunter as he recalls the story through his eyes as he narrates brings really neat gameplay elements such as someone calling him on his bluff, and an element of gameplay changes mid battle. Its humorous and witty writing really delivers this short but entertaining adventure through the West. What Gunslinger really nails is the shooting mechanics, pulling off headshots and barrages is extremely satisfying as a result of the good use of blood and pacing which sees the story take you from a standoff to a train robbery. While being a small but well packaged downloadable, Call of Juarez Gunslinger really nails the fun of shooting it up like a spaghetti western, something previous COJ games failed to capture. Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2015
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a arcadey first-person shooter game with a Wild West influence. It has an interesting storyline that pulls you through the main game mode, which roughly lasts 7 hours. The environments are well-varied and the sense of action is incredible. Shooting enemies never felt this satisfactory in a game before. Pulling off those headshots and seeing my enemies fall toCall of Juarez: Gunslinger is a arcadey first-person shooter game with a Wild West influence. It has an interesting storyline that pulls you through the main game mode, which roughly lasts 7 hours. The environments are well-varied and the sense of action is incredible. Shooting enemies never felt this satisfactory in a game before. Pulling off those headshots and seeing my enemies fall to the ground in a heap of blood felt so good. There's also three skill trees present in which you can upgrade your abilities. That was a nice touch. However having said that, there are a few problems. The duelling sections were overused and there was a lack of gun variety. Sure, I felt really attached to some of the guns I used but I wish there were more guns available. Furthermore I believe that the game needed a multiplayer mode. All in all, Gunslinger is a damn fun game but overall lacks in gameplay variety (no multiplayer, overused duels). Expand
  21. Jun 21, 2015
    A Linear Cowboy Shooter that knows it's a simple shoot em' up, but uses that to it's advantage. It has a skill/level up system, decent replayablity (i went through the game twice, you keep your skills and level on each playthrough. I went all rifles/pistols on the first playthrough and all shotguns on the second), graphics that deeply reminded me of Borderlands (in other words, awesomeA Linear Cowboy Shooter that knows it's a simple shoot em' up, but uses that to it's advantage. It has a skill/level up system, decent replayablity (i went through the game twice, you keep your skills and level on each playthrough. I went all rifles/pistols on the first playthrough and all shotguns on the second), graphics that deeply reminded me of Borderlands (in other words, awesome graphics), super fun gameplay (you can slow time after getting some kills by pressing Q, kinda like Red Dead Redemption), great humor, a low asking price (I got it for all of 3$ during a sale on steam, and it was soooooo worth it) and real life lore you can find to learn about actual cowboys from the past (Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, ect.). If you're playing through the game on Steam, there is an extremely handy guide on how the duels work, which I highly reccomend you take a look at.

TL;DR
    Skill/Level System
    Replay Value (Check!)
    Really fun Gameplay
    Borderlands-esque Graphics
    In-Game lore on Real Life Cowboys
    Great sense of Humor
    Low Asking Price (10$ not on sale)
    Super Great Game, 10/10 "Fo ****
  22. May 14, 2015
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    I recently played this game and its one hell of a game when it comes to shooting the **** out of people.
    A good experience of the wild west. Good narration by the lead character and most of all god bejesus guns. As always ubisoft delivers a game that i would love to play. The only issue from my side is no multiplayer. Other than
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    Other than that this game is far way better than cod ghost
  23. May 10, 2015
    one of the best FPS I have ever played. It just feels great when you shoot a guy and his blood just spurts out like a fountain. and the duel mode is very well made, and intense.
  24. Mar 21, 2015
    Yeah it's a short rails-shooter, but the mechanics are solid and the story is more compelling than many hyped full length games (Bioshock: Infinite I'm thinking of you...)
  25. Dec 16, 2014
    Great fun. Good control. Nice action. With humour. You feel like a gunslinger.. I hope there are more.. Most games let me down but not this one. Not too hard but not too easy either.
  26. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep yourThis game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep your skills from the last run, but enemies get stronger? I never really noticed. Towards the end of the game, you get to be ridiculously overpowered, having the game autoaim for you and rack up headshots like aimbot in Modern Warfare 2. But, the game takes 10-15 hours to complete, arcade mode will add up to about 5 hours, and this makes Call of Juarez: Gunslinger the underrated gem that it is. While the game does lack setpieces and prefers a lead-throwing romp playstyle, it is executed so well that it's easily forgivable.
    Pick this game up for its normal value, DEFINITELY pick it up if it's on sale. This could knock out a weekend.
    It's no game that'll last you forever like Payday 2 or Terraria, but it can definitely be revisited if you feel like dumping a day into some damn good gunslinging. Oh, and the voice acting is badass.
  27. Nov 3, 2014
    Fun, short game.
    The action is quite alright, but it's certainly not excellent - AI sucks, you're just running around for headshots for bigger combos, etc.
    The duels are interesting.. I guess. But the game would need quite a bit more variety. The narrative is not terrible and I really liked how the storytelling memory vs actual accounts kept messing it up in actual gameplay.
    Fun, short game.

However, both the narrative and the action are just a bit too "unreal" for my taste, getting a bit boring with "oh yes, and then there was the time where I killed 100 guys in the same way for the same reason getting the same result and probably this didn't actually happen.."
  28. Oct 26, 2014
    An arcade twitch shooter with a very entertaining story that is simply a lot of fun. Mix 'Max Payne' with 'Serious Sam' and films like 'My name is trinity' and you get this. Gameplay is very well balanced, and never gets stale with the constant change of pace, humour, and duel segments. Although technically a bit dated, the graphics still look great. Its a pity the devs had a small budget,An arcade twitch shooter with a very entertaining story that is simply a lot of fun. Mix 'Max Payne' with 'Serious Sam' and films like 'My name is trinity' and you get this. Gameplay is very well balanced, and never gets stale with the constant change of pace, humour, and duel segments. Although technically a bit dated, the graphics still look great. Its a pity the devs had a small budget, and the single-player story is quite short. But there is some replay value, and the arcade mode (a kind of time trial) allows you to compare high scores with your friends. Note - If FOV is too low, it can easily be fixed in the config text files. Expand
  29. Sep 18, 2014
    Here we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrateHere we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrate mode and sense of death make it even more fantastic. It takes 7-8 hours to complete main storyline. But don't worry. Arcade mode and duels mode is offering more hours to play. You can try to do your best and compare your scores with others. I always loved to hear good stories about wild west. I like country music, i like western movies and when i'm not dreaming about become a medieval knight, i dream about become a cowboy. If you're like me this game is 11/10 for you. If you're not, it's still a pretty good shooter and it deserves 9 in my humble opinion. Expand
  30. Sep 16, 2014
    The wild west is an underdog in the gaming sector and so Call of Juarez doesen't have to worry to perish in the repitition of the same. The game was cut down to one main story line. The game has an unique story telling of bounty hunter Silas Greaves, who never lets you alone in the levels. Me as the actor is always trying to keep up with the speed of the story. Some weak moments, like tooThe wild west is an underdog in the gaming sector and so Call of Juarez doesen't have to worry to perish in the repitition of the same. The game was cut down to one main story line. The game has an unique story telling of bounty hunter Silas Greaves, who never lets you alone in the levels. Me as the actor is always trying to keep up with the speed of the story. Some weak moments, like too much enemies and bullets are a reasonable compromise, because Silas is of course exaggerating and maybe not always telling the truth. For a fistful of dollars you get an entertaining shooter. Expand
  31. Aug 24, 2014
    Nice! West, duels, no hud, no hints, challenging fights, chickens and cows. What else do you want? It is little more than a rail shooter, but a very nice and good at that. And the plot is also quite nice, narrator and voice actors in general good good good. 85/100, going to master all the challenges now.
  32. Aug 13, 2014
    The game while in a great setting and solid mechanics fails to use this potential. After a strong start while fresh the game quickly becomes highly repetitive and a chore to finish.

That being said it is still quite fun but it fails to keep those levels up.
  33. Jul 17, 2014
    At first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality butAt first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality but whose lack of artistry falls short of the prettiness that Gunslinger provides. There are FPS games with gritty stories, but none of Gunslinger's wit and smarts. This was one of 2013's best surprises, especially after the missteps of the CoJ series of late. Buy it. Expand
  34. Jun 23, 2014
    A very humorous and entertaining western story. Although this game is relatively short about 6-7 hours long it is of high quality id give it 7.5 definitely worth playing even if your not really into western type games.
  35. May 26, 2014
    Gunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game isGunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game is quite short, however. Don't expect to put in more than 7 hours before you're done. Even on the hardest difficulty, you won't be getting stuck for long. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the direction they took the art. The cel-shaded graphics aren't really my style but they were never too bothersome. The biggest gripe is that by the end of the game you'll be wanting more, and there isn't much else to do. There are arcade missions which are just slightly altered, and shortened version of the campaign levels. There is also a duel challenge which i didn't find good at all. Dueling was one of the worst parts of the game. Thankfully it's too hard and you only have to duel a few times throughout the game. Recommended for all Western and Shooter fans out there. Hopefully we can get a sequel to this sooner rather than later. Expand
  36. May 2, 2014
    This FPS arcade is such a fantastic game. Its atmosphere and the way how the story was told is superb and very original.

Seriously guys, if you like fast-paced games, FPS and westerns, you should play this!

And a last point, this game is highly polished, giving the AAA impression.
  37. May 1, 2014
    I am writing from old player shooter, and after years of disappointments with the series all the same and poor as call of duty and battlefield, finally, here is a game that offers a solid and varied gameplay with unprecedented mechanics, engaging story, great feedback shots, good variety of weapons, AI discreet, so much personality and atmosphere of the old wild west!
    People for 15 euro
    People for 15 euro you can not ask for better.
    If you love shooters buy it with eyes closed!
  38. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is pretty damn good. Has great music, told a good story, has good combat, looks good, has some pretty funny lines. If you have any interest in cowboys / westerns, or just looking for a good shooter, this game is recommended.
  39. Apr 17, 2014
    Hell, boy, Gunslinger is the fastest single-player FPS in the West! Where most of them "shooters" nowadays go all serious and business-like, arguing fancy tactics and whatnot, Gunslinger is like jumping off a stagecoach, off-loading lead from your trusted six-shooter while pouring down your favourite Whiskey refreshment.

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a story and presentation style that capture the exciting atmosphere and feel of the "Wild West", with all the tropes from your favourite Westerns. If you like shooters or have even a remote interest in the Wild West, I challenge you to try the demo and not be hooked. You get a taste of the full game, the rest is pretty faithful to that demo.

The gunplay is really great, and the gameplay mechanics with "concentration" (kind of a bullet time) and "sense of death" (last chance to dodge that bullet that was about to kill you) are really satisfying and fun. Plus, it features different tropey locales and situations, like prison escape, bank heists, mines, indian caves, train robberies, ghost towns, etc etc. The graphics engine is really good, providing nice detail and beautiful sceneries, and is as fast as the action itself, with ultra high fps even in the highest quality settings.

Hell, boy, I ain't had this much fun shooting since Lord knows when. TRY IT!
  40. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. GoodThis game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. Good immersion that directly puts you into the shoes of a Western Gunslinger along with a great storyline makes this game worth playing. It has many good artistic designs but the textures aren't that great even if you are playing on high and the sound quality is decent. A few glitches but nothing much to hinder your experience in this 15$ masterpiece. Enjoy playing! Expand
  41. Apr 9, 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a 4 hour, linear corridor shooter with a messy plot that constantly pushes you back and forth. There's no open world to explore and no interesting weapons to be used. It's a very basic shooter and I'm glad it ends the ride very quickly.

The art style is very strange and unusual. It tries to cover the cell shaded design but interferes with the actual graphics, it doesn't perform like a toony western shooter and feels like it was just slapped on for the sake of trying to be 'unique' while utterly failing. And what's the deal with those annoying black borders that take up the screen?

I'm not happy with the asking price of $15 for such little content. But I will give 1 score for the effort, it feels like they really tried to make a good game but decided to give up half way.
  42. Apr 6, 2014
    This one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriouslyThis one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriously and it benefits greatly from that. As for the gameplay, they did a fantastic job of letting you absolutely tear through people as a reward for accuracy without ever letting you get lazy. Every enemy is a threat and they WILL kill you if you aren't fast enough (I do recommend playing on Hard though. I didn't touch normal.). My only complaint is the duel mechanic that quickly grows to be tiresome though you only have to do it at the end of levels. The campaign should keep you busy for 4-5 hours by which time you will unlock a New Game+ mode that lets you keep leveling up and play on the "True West" difficulty. If that's not enough, there's the relentlessly fun arcade mode that is essentially a score attack mode where accuracy, speed, and combos are key.

9/10 - a surprisingly complete package for $15 or less.
  43. Apr 4, 2014
    Great arcade shooter with good narration and decent graphics. Fit with decent mechanics such as the bullet dodge, also especially when you can pull off slick high count combo's with slow-mo is really fun. The story however is short, around 5 hours, and some boss fights were, in my opinion, poorly designed. The standoffs take skill and can put someone off if they're not able to concentrateGreat arcade shooter with good narration and decent graphics. Fit with decent mechanics such as the bullet dodge, also especially when you can pull off slick high count combo's with slow-mo is really fun. The story however is short, around 5 hours, and some boss fights were, in my opinion, poorly designed. The standoffs take skill and can put someone off if they're not able to concentrate well enough. Overall still a satisfying experience , especially at this price. Expand
  44. Mar 29, 2014
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a badass spaghetti western type of game. The graphic is perfectly designed for a western game, the story is interesting just like the voice acting but the major problem is the difficulty...

Sometimes you just finish a level with just a pistol without taking any cover and some other times BAM dead. And what did hit you? You'll surely discover it! ... After being killed a thousand times, and that's when it's falling to an die and a retry kind of game. This game lures you with easy missions and easy bosses and then you will be stuck in an unfair and unforgiving level. Most of the time explosions are all over the place!
    That can be cool but if you can't see where you're shooting', it ain't cool.

In overall, it's a good but quite frustrating game since some death are not even slightly fair.
  45. Mar 29, 2014
    Gunslinger is an excellent FPS "" game. One of the better games of 2013 that even appeared on Angry Joe's Top List of Games of 2013. (Which is until when i was subsequently more obliged to purchase it).

In this relatively short review, i'll cover the Good, Bad and the Ugly of this game. : + Excellent story-telling + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters + Very well

+ Excellent story-telling
    + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters
    + Very well optimised game mechanic, didn't have had any trouble playing it from the start.
    + [spoiler] Nugget of Truth tells stories and short bios about real life characters, places, etc [/spoiler] The Bad & The Ugly:

- Extremely short singleplayer story mode. (4 hours for < or equal to US$15)
    - Graphics doesn't seem to impress. Probably because of the engine used.
    - A.I. isn't great. Felt little to no challenge at all.
    - No tutorial centred mission(s). Players are thrown into the game with HUD overlaying short tips & other advices.

In all, i really recommend this game for it's cheap price. Worth playing, especially if you love the old 19th century Western Texas/Mexico cowboy era!
  46. Mar 22, 2014
    The gameline is intriguing but the "forced" positions the editors put you in is TERRIBLE! From PUSHING you forward into a room, to making you run down a lit fuse where only a "patterned" set of execution wins the day is not what modern gaming is all about.

As a 49 year old gamer I can tell you about the ascension of games because I've lived through the morphing process which games have gone over the years. Back in the day, Pacman had certain "patterns" you followed and once memorized you could beat the game.

Then gamers demanded more. They wanted to have the "freedom" to beat the game using their own individual strategy, NOT some pre-template sets of execution that the editor "forced" upon the player.

Unfortunately, this game forces you into just this type of game play a lot! If you like games that "force" you to play their way, then you'll probably enjoy this game. If you're like me and enjoy entering a game and conquering it using your own unique skills and style, then this game will "frustrate" you to no end.

The gameline and storytelling is a 9 for me, but the consistent FORCED gameplay DESTROYS any and all value that would have made this game fun. There's a reason why "open world" game playing has reached an all time high. And the exact reason why this game never really became as popular as it could have.......

sadly more than halfway through the game, I wanted my money back!
  47. Mar 4, 2014
    This is truly one the best gunslinger type games ever I think everyone should try it. It gives you a truly epic wild west game this is the type of games that should have a higer price tag but the creators are amazing I say its worth the 15 bucks.
  48. Feb 23, 2014
    Very funny way of telling a story, really different! Gameplay is great, really nice. The graphics are beautiful, sound is way good. You can't miss this game!
  49. Feb 8, 2014
    antastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration.This is a good arcade shooter with not too much seriousness but enough blood to make it fun :D
  50. Feb 7, 2014
    The game is epic and intense there are moments in the game that feel like your in the game only rare and some games have that feeling the gameplay is beautiful and this game has a long campan even when this game is on 1 disk and I played the game on Xbox and PC. on PC it feels epic because of the mouse on xbox its feeling is dull and boring take my word for it and get this game on PC
  51. Jan 21, 2014
    This game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to theThis game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to the combat. It is a fantastic wild west shooter and if you are looking for one this would be perfect. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  52. Jan 7, 2014
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is a well-crafted First Person Arcade Shooter and an awesome western experience. I love cell shader graphics when they work, and they definitely work here, the comic book style is neat and adds personality to the game, the music and sound effects are cool too.
    Game is only 15 dollars and you will get a lot of value for that. Besides the campaign there are other 2 modes Arcade and Duels where you can compete with your Steam friends for the highest scores.
    Now the downside, there is no multiplayer/Co-op whatsoever and it would’ve been nice if they had added some kind of horse experience, after all what’s a western without that? But even so Call of Juarez Gunslinger is absolutely fantastic, one of my favorite games and you should dare to visit the wild west with this one, do not miss it!
  53. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is the most unique FPS I've played in a very long time. From the moment you start the game, you're met with amazing narration, great story telling, and awesome gameplay. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I would have liked to see some form of open-world exploration (I think it'd be perfect for a game like this). Definitely buy this game, you won't regret it.
  54. Jan 4, 2014
    The Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-drawThe Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-draw stand-offs you have you to complete. But overall was pleasantly surprised with CoJ. Expand
  55. Dec 22, 2013
    I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a long long time. No 360 quick scopes, not annoying kids playing. Just pure fun...by yourself.

PROS: Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very

PROS:
    Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very little about it before.

Fun gameplay. The gameplay is definitely something I'll be coming back to for some time to come. Somehow doing headshot after headshot is very fun. Haven't felt that way in some time.

Fun game modes: The Arcade, duel, and storyline modes are very enjoyable and I've played through all of the multiple times. Definitely getting your money's worth there.

CONS:

No multiplayer. Although I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer all the time in every single game you buy nowadays. Call of Juarez Gunslinger could have used it since it would increase the the playability and the overall market for the game. Definitely a mistake not to include it.

Game Modes. Although I said I like the modes it isn't enough. Definitely needs more modes or sections within the modes to make the game more fun. Maybe a zombie mode too. I know thats a steal from other FPS series but just something else to increase playability would have been nice. I've played through everything and I'm wanting more!

OVERALL:
    I loved this game. Maybe not the best Call of Juarez game (since it really isn't about Call of Juarez at all...just takes the name from the series) but its fun. Cannot wait to buy the next installment since they definitely did a great job here (just please don't do a Cartel one again...horrid idea).
  56. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire levelThis game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire level restarts" mechanic.
    The duel sections weren't that great, and I saw the end of the story coming about halfway through the game, but it was still enjoyable.
  57. Nov 26, 2013
    I wasn't expecting much from this game... I just bought it because it was on sale. But I was very, very surprised. This is the most fun first person shooter I've played in a long time.
  58. Vex
    Nov 22, 2013
    Fantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titlesFantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titles this year (I'm looking at you Bioshock). Expand
  59. Nov 16, 2013
    Not bad for the price, but far away from the quality of Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood. Very linear, not so interesting stoy and mainly focused on shooting. If you are aware of this and try to avoid comparissons, you will enjoy the experience during the average time for FPS (8-12 hours depending on your pace and collectables seeking). Has a levelling system that will help you onNot bad for the price, but far away from the quality of Call of Juarez and Bound in Blood. Very linear, not so interesting stoy and mainly focused on shooting. If you are aware of this and try to avoid comparissons, you will enjoy the experience during the average time for FPS (8-12 hours depending on your pace and collectables seeking). Has a levelling system that will help you on perfectioning an specific shooting style, and usually you will use the same main style during all gameplay, investing some points on other style you prefer as your second (dual pistols, short range, long range).
    I like the duel system, frustrating at first, when you are not used to, but eventually you'll finish mastering it.
    Collectables distracts you from main storyline, they glow, they give exp points and at end of each episode you are remainded that you lose some. But in the other hand, they are brilliant, explaining wild west real history with real pics.
    Have potential for replayability, changing your style or trying higher difficulties.
    Recommended for the price.
  60. Nov 15, 2013
    Absolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What reallyAbsolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What really drives this game is the story, which is award-worthy. It's the kind of FPS game storytelling that call of duty or other major franchises wish they could do. The only negative things I could say about this game are that I wish there were some kind of multiplayer, either coop or some kind of deathmatch, because implementing these mechanics in multiplayer seems like it would be really fun. It's amazing how much went into this game for a budget title, well worth the price. This may not have a lot of features, like a lot of hidden unlockables or multiplayer, but what it does, it does very well. Considering that this game is better on many aspects than some full-price games released around the same time, and it it is well deserving of a 10/10 rating. Expand
  61. Nov 9, 2013
    Probably the best Western Shooter since Outlaws back in the late 90's from LucasArts. The story telling is done in an original way that keeps you engaged but their history is completely broken (wrong outlaws in the wrong battles). For example they pit Billy the Kid against the Pinkertons which was actually Jessie James and his gang.

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy shootouts I died once and when it spawned me back it gave me no reaction time to press the directional keys (bug)... every time I spawned only to be killed again with the [key] appearing AFTER I was dead. At least I encountered that problem early in the game.

Also, sometimes you feel like you're just getting into a groove with the shootouts and then they launch back into the story mode again which pulls you from the action you're craving therefore, the best feature is also its biggest challenge. They probably should have extended the first-person shooting sequences (they're just over too quickly). I haven't passed it yet but other reviewers claim 8-10 hours to get through it.

All-in-all, a good game if you pick it up cheap on Steam. At $50 I'd of been a bit frustrated but at $8 on Steam you can't go wrong.
  62. Nov 9, 2013
    I played the demo (which it 's very good) and I went and immediately bought the game but honestly the first 2 levels are all that the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. You do the same thing over and over again. Repetition is something that fully describes this game. And repetition makes things boring. By the last 4 levels I was so tired doing the same thing over and over again thatI played the demo (which it 's very good) and I went and immediately bought the game but honestly the first 2 levels are all that the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. You do the same thing over and over again. Repetition is something that fully describes this game. And repetition makes things boring. By the last 4 levels I was so tired doing the same thing over and over again that after I finished the game it seemed that the torture was over. Shoot bandits, then shoot then shoot again and guess what then you shoot some more bandits again.

Pros: The game looks beautiful, Some levels are awesome, Clever storytelling, Arcade mode

Cons: REPETITION, No gun variation, No changes in gameplay, No horse riding, duels are bad, they have you doing the same thing over and over again, No imagination from the developers, in some areas the textures are bad. REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION, No horses in a western game? Oh did I forgot to mention that the game is repetitive.
  63. Nov 5, 2013
    I love Westerns, and I love FPS's; this game fulfilled my need for both my loves and created a beautiful game. The campaign was fun and somewhat interesting, but my favorite part of this game was the fun combat system they had. All of the guns felt satisfying when they were fired, duel wielding makes you feel like a boss, and slow motion gunfights are a great way to enhance a Mexican Standoff.
  64. Nov 3, 2013
    We all have games we look forward to playing...like i have waited to play Torchlight 2 for example, but what makes for a nice gaming moment is when you discover that little game you never heard of and it turns out to be an actual gem.

That was the case for me with Gunslinger, it was released in may 2013 but i only recently learnt of its existence, luckily the devs knew they have a great product so they were not afraid to release a demo on steam, i checked the game, was immediately in love with it, bought it next day.

Whatever opinion i might have of the previous instalments of the CoJ series, this one is the best for me.
    Great graphics, similar to other great games like Borderlands for example, make the game stand out.

Gameplay is also unique, every shoot out looks like you are duel, like and arcade game at your local mall, the word shooting gallery comes to mind...but that's great, weapons handle and feel great, good skill trees add a bit of variety and are actually useful, there is a decent variety of enemies and the game doesn't get boring that easy.

While you play there is a great deal of narration going on, the plot is done in an amazing way, the main hero is sitting in a bar and he is telling the story of his life, often forgetting or changing some thing which in turn make the player reverse back in time or give him a chance to do something other way.

Voice acting is done well, very well, same for sounds and music in game.

The game is fairly priced and given that you can access a demo you are being treated like a respected customer.

The only drawback i would say is that game is not that long but it has a decent replay value thanks to skill trees and game modes including New Game+.

I can recommend this game to fans of wild west and anyone else alike as this is a good shooter that will make you enjoy yourself and forget about all those hate wars about which game is better etc., this is pure fun.
  65. Oct 31, 2013
    When I started playing this game, I had forgotten it'd been 7+ years since I last played FPS games. Naturally, in all of my arrogance, I assumed I'd be just as good as I ever was and I'd be pulling headshots left and right.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.

In the end I had to start with the lowest difficulty setting. The game was a lot fun, I'll tell you that. It was also quite good-looking. I found myself just looking at the varied landscape more than once. I almost wished there was more of it. Of course, that was not the point of the game as much as it was to shoot bad guys, and there were a lot of them.

The action didn't degenerate into trench warfare at any point and the difficulty curve, I found, was varying, either by design or accidentally, but nevertheless it kept you on your toes. One big gripe with the game that I had was that I was mostly oblivious of the constant name-dropping and references to famed Wild West figures/movies. That is to say, if you're a fan of Westerners, you'll love this one.

The leveling system in the game was something I disliked a lot, though. You start at level one and gain more abilities, more ammo capacity and flat-out better guns as you shoot more guys through the head. What this means that the game inevitably becomes easier as you go on. Or, it inevitable becomes what it should've been from the start. Despite all the positive words I just typed, I almost quit playing the game 2 hours into it, partially because my mouse-arm was rusty and I couldn't get things done and partially because at the start, there was not much you COULD do.

If you get past that however, expect to explosive ride through a, sadly, somewhat short story. Oh, and the revolver duels are awesome.
  66. Oct 8, 2013
    I had high hopes for Gunslinger. A series of good reviews gave me the impression it was a well constructed return to old-fashioned shooters, with a good chunk of humour and innovation thrown in for good measure. But it's only nearly those things.
    There's a lot to like; great visuals, engaging combat, a humourous but exciting plot, and lots and lots of shooting. But, for me, a number of things just ruin it beyond repair; the insta-death QTEs, the stupid black border, the hideously low FOV, the duels, the poorly integrated bullet-time, the constant stopping and breaks in gameplay, and the stupidly distracting HUD elements and key-press reminders. Yes, I know there are hacks to remove the borders and fix the FOV, and these fixes allowed me to progress further than five minutes into the game, but I'm reviewing the game in its vanilla state (as I did with Far Cry 3), and it's disappointing how these games still treat everyone like 6 year-olds without giving me the option to TURN THEM THE HELL OFF. Does that make me picky or elitist? Then so be it. Maybe other people are too easily pleased because they've been spoon-fed this console crap for so many years. Seriously; screw this nonsense. Screw it all the way back to 2005.
    Like many modern shooters over the last seven or eight years, a great game utterly ruined by the usual console trappings that all developers seem to think they have to force on all players. This could have been a modern DOOM meets A Fistful of Dollars, but it wasn't.
  67. Sep 27, 2013
    This is an exquisite arcade experience coupled with brilliant narrative. There's an impressive amount of intrinsic rewards and, although technically repetitive, I never felt like I got the slightest bored. The game kept me active and engaged throughout the entire game including the cut-scenes.

The voice acting is fantastic and entertaining throughout the entire campaign. The characters feel believable and fit right into the world of the wild west. The world constantly changes and adapts to the story and makes for highly engaging storytelling. You feel like you're both living and being told the story at the same time. It's something I've never experienced in a game before.

Controls is something the developers have absolutely aced. They are responsive, sleek and they never get in your way. They are so good that not only aren't they in the way, they also make you significantly more engaged in what you're doing.

The AI is basic yet sufficient for the task at hand. The game isn't trying to be a hardcore experience but still manages to deliver an AI good enough to, occasionally, present you with notable challenges.

Textures, style and general visuals are something that the developers seem to have had a problem with. Although it looks good and performs fantastically it still feel it's lacking in personal style. However, the gameplay compensates for this by great measure.
  68. Sep 17, 2013
    Best 'ARCADE' style shooting game I've ever played. The gun sounds are perfect and the feel right. It's a straight forward, linear, aim and shoot shoot fest. For the silly retail price, you won't find a better gaming bargain today.
  69. Aug 28, 2013
    Fun game; short. Just like this review. A bit repetitive. Just like this review. Bought it on sale for cheap, cannot beat the value. Just like this re
  70. Aug 12, 2013
    Great fun which is all i want from a game tbqh my only complaint is length and replayability are lacking (though i still replayed it plenty) a sequel or even dlc would be great and solve all my issues with the game and remember it is still 15 bucks.
  71. Aug 7, 2013
    Returning to it's roots, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger does it's precursors good after a series of "corporate farts" for lack of a better descriptive phrase. Gunplay is solid, gameplay is fun, characters~well... lets just leave it at the gameplay is fun.
  72. Aug 2, 2013
    Patrząc na nowego CoJ, wspomninam czasy starych Call of Juarez. Chociażby świetne "Więzy krwi". Ta grafika, ta fabuła, do tego klimat skarbu Juarez. Szkoda że Gunslinger nie mógł zapewnić mi żadnej z tych cech. Grafiki nawet nie chce mi sie komentować, takiej zlepki zamazanych tekstur nie widziałem nawet w najstarszym Call of Juarez. Prowadzenie fabuły jest ciekawe, jeżeli chodzi oPatrząc na nowego CoJ, wspomninam czasy starych Call of Juarez. Chociażby świetne "Więzy krwi". Ta grafika, ta fabuła, do tego klimat skarbu Juarez. Szkoda że Gunslinger nie mógł zapewnić mi żadnej z tych cech. Grafiki nawet nie chce mi sie komentować, takiej zlepki zamazanych tekstur nie widziałem nawet w najstarszym Call of Juarez. Prowadzenie fabuły jest ciekawe, jeżeli chodzi o opowiadanie całej historii przez głównego bochatera, szkoda tylko że tak spektakularna końcówka była prze zemnie przewidziana już w połowie gry. Brakuje mi tutaj klimatu westernu znanego z "Więzy krwi", naprawdę dobrego klimatu a nie sztucznie utworzonego, przez pokazaniu osób bez żadnych cech. Brak tu również skarbu Juarez, który miał tak dużą rolę w serii. Bugi również przeszkadzają w rozgrywce. Przez cutscenki czy inne elementy widać ograniczony budżet. Naprawdę Techland, nie stać was na coś więcej? No dobra, ogólnie da się w to jeszcze grać. Jest to przecież ciekawy westernowy FPS. Moja ocena 6/10 Expand
  73. Aug 1, 2013
    Again in the wild west. I don`t know what they were smoking when they made Call of Juarez The Cartel. But now it is time to send more hours in the wild west whitout fully automatic rifles.
  74. Jul 24, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let’s hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.

The story is presented as a mere flashback, with

The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas Greaves, the bounty hunter, recounting his achievements across the American west as he holds court at a local saloon. At any moment though, the story might change as Greaves recalls something he forgot to mention or a listener gives him hard time for one supposed “fact” or another.

When it comes to game-play, you might be finding yourself fending off an Apache ambush in the middle of a hunt for fleeing bandits, only for someone to ask why there are suddenly Native Americans in the mix. Greaves then recounts and explains, “No, they ambushed me like they were Apaches,” at which point the scene changes as your attackers suddenly transform into outlaws.

This happens repeatedly throughout Gunslinger. The environment transforms itself right in front of the player, and an confined space could suddenly have an exit that Greaves forgot to mention. At one point, your path leads to a deadly encounter with the end of a speeding mine cart, complete with a Game Over screen that quickly disappears as the game rewinds while Greaves explains how stupid it would have been to take that particular path.

The unusual story progression does put a nice twist on what would otherwise be a linear FPS. Gunslinger embraces a much more ambitious look than past Call of Juarez games. Vibrant colored textures that heavily emphasize shadows to the unique look of Gearbox Software’s Borderlands games, but the overall feel falls closer to that of a graphic novel.

players also have the option of playing around with either Duel or Arcade modes. Duel is a boss rush mode that pits you against key enemies from the story in a quickdraw arena. The quickdraw mini-game however is a weak element in Gunslinger, with players needing to juggle a pair of meters by twiddling the left and right thumb sticks. It’s a solution to an aspect of Wild West lore that doesn’t entirely translate into good nor entertaining game-play.

Arcade mode though offers much more in the way of replay value, with breaking the story’s intense combat moments up into a chain of discrete encounters. You can simply max out a single skill tree in the course of one play-through, but you can’t go much further than that. Arcade acknowledges this with a “loadout” selection at the start of each challenge.

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013′s Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  75. Jul 24, 2013
    Great game, fun, the story line and story telling is entertaining and quirky, especially how the environment can change after Silas or others change the narration. Oh, and to those who rated this game poorly because of the FoV and black border, you can fix both with a simple console command!

My only issue was the poor (or non-existent) anti-aliasing and the black outline around everything, though the latter to a lesser extent, and the lack of weapons' variety at least compared to the first to CoJ.

For its price, and what you get, its a steal.
  76. Jul 23, 2013
    Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger has a really cool and new storytelling-style. It's has also a really good feedback of hits, so you are really motivated. The gameplay features are pretty cool. You feel like a cowboy, but not like a real. You can't ride on horses or something like that. If there were more western features, it would be one of the best and coolest yeah!) first person shooters, I played!
  77. Jul 22, 2013
    It's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game wasIt's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game was well worth my money. Expand
  78. Jul 19, 2013
    Sometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the oneSometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the one pivotal character that gets to interact with all of the great legends of the Wild West.

The rest of the experience, IMHO, becomes secondary to the joy of being able to have a shootout with any famous name from all the books and movies you already know. That said, the hits and misses still come out on the positive end. Of the Juarez games, this ended up being my favorite without a doubt.
  79. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with great story telling and excellent visuals. This game took my breathe away with its scenery. I was constantly checking my CPU temp wondering why this game ran so smoothly when it looks so gorgeous. I cant stress enough how well done the environment was designed, and how shocked I am at how little resources it needs to run it.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic. But this game brings a lot of individualism to the table. The storytelling and artistic elements are what make this game a quality title. There are also a lot of genuine wild west references, so western fans will get a huge kick out of this game.
    Overall, this game offers nothing new or intuitive in terms of gameplay, but has some amazing storytelling, beautiful and high quality graphics, and a lot of good humor.
    At a base price of 15 bucks, this game is a worthy buy for any fps fan.
  80. Jul 19, 2013
    Pretty good value considering the price. There isn't much variety to the gameplay, but it's very fun if you're just after a wild west killing spree.

Where it really shined for me was the story telling. The voice acting is very good, accompanying art is outstanding, and the way old Silas backtracks through his story, and happens to remember a path/opening/ladder that escaped his previous attention is quite amusing. There's not much to the actual story, a cowboy seeking revenge, but I found myself wanting to hear the story unfold.

I got about 5 hours out of one play through of the main story line. Was happy considering it cost less than $20.
  81. Jul 17, 2013
    I remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this gameI remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this game is on rails you can experience some awesome moments thanks to cool gameplay mechanics like bullet time and others. One of the best things in this game is the way in which the story is being told, throughout the game every moment will be narrated by one of the best narrators out there but unfortunately I can't spoil anything so... But there are some funny moments in this game. This is a wild West game so we have to talk about Duels. They are so much fun, there are two ways in which you can kill your opponents in a duel, you can kill in a honourable way or you can be an and kill your opponent drawing your gun very early. There is only one problem I have with this game, its length, I want this game to be longer, it took me 5h to beat this game but keep in mind this game have lots of replay value, after you beat the game you can play it again on NewGame+ mod which unlocks every weapon in the game so you can use it from the start, this may sound like an easy mode but no, enemies are hard to kill I mean very hard to kill. Lastly, call of Juarez gunslinger is one of the best titles released this year and for only 15dollars I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  82. Jul 17, 2013
    just excellent shooter, great graphics and story, very funny at times you learn a lot about these outlaws because game gives you a lot of info from that era. I've played all FPS on the marker, recently Sniper Ghost Warrior which is also very good but this game is lot of fun, some levels have such a great setting I would just walk around there without even shooting!
  83. Jul 12, 2013
    Best arcade shoter game ever i have played
    .Like the old style guns and allover perfect only i miss is multiplayer but no big deal the game have a very good story. Bang for bucks.
  84. Jul 10, 2013
    Beautifully made..story structured nicely..nice narration..nice game modes too..i just wished story was a little bit bigger.. I really enjoyed the game!
  85. Jun 26, 2013
    Great arcade shooter with immersive story-telling, included with talent trees, classic western-themed landscapes, most famous outlaws of the west and the classic western showdowns. With this game Techland made it up for their horrible CoJ: The Cartel. Overall this is an awesome western shooter with an awesome price tag: 14,99
  86. Jun 24, 2013
    For such an inexpensive title, Gunslinger is surprisingly fun. If you don't expect the next great wonder of the world, you'll have fun with this title, which is easily the best in the series. Although it shares absolutely no story from the first two CoJ games, that's okay; the cheesy plot is given life by being told through the memories of a grizzled, old gunslinger who is full of tallFor such an inexpensive title, Gunslinger is surprisingly fun. If you don't expect the next great wonder of the world, you'll have fun with this title, which is easily the best in the series. Although it shares absolutely no story from the first two CoJ games, that's okay; the cheesy plot is given life by being told through the memories of a grizzled, old gunslinger who is full of tall tales, and is unafraid to use them. I had fun with Gunslinger, more than I've had with most games in its price range, and even though the arcade-style shooting gets repetitive, if you take breaks and play other games in between Gunslinger sessions it maintains its charm throughout its short campaign.

I can't believe, by the way, how good it looks! The dev team milked the Chrome engine for all it's worth, and the results are colorful and full of wonderful detail. CoJ:G is a pretty and pretty fun game that won't set you back more than it's worth.
  87. Jun 22, 2013
    Cowboys and their world. I just don't get the American's fascination with them.However, I do get a good game when I play it.
    I must say that lately some budget games have been putting AAA titles to shame and Gunslinger is no exception. The gameplay mechanics feel more arcade than the previous Call Of Juarez games but it fits perfectly with the 'tall tale' style narrative of the game.
    Worthy of note is the bullet dodging system which literally allows you to.. well... dodge the bullet and live another day. The stand off mechanics is deep and tense making duels far more enjoyable than previous games in the series. Also, this is no a particularly short game, in fact it lasted longer than some full priced titles. And even better, you'll have a hoot running and gunning and dull moments are not to be found.
    A worthy game that punches well above it's price point. Heck, they could have gotten away with a $50-$60 price tag, instead they only ask for $18. Brilliant.
  88. Jun 19, 2013
    My expectations was not very high for this game after the disaster that was the Cartel. But after hearing good things about the game i decided to give the franchise another shot. And i am happy that i did just that.

The games main campaign is quite solid. The area variety is quite nice and there are some quite cool ares in the game. The enemy variety is basically what you would expect from a cowboy game but they have thrown in some bosses which is a nice touch. The weapon variety could be a bit better but it never becomes a issue since the campaign isnt the longest one out there. The weapons in the game are however quite tough and fun to use.

The different missions in the game is chained together by a narrator who sits in a bar and tells a story. The story in itself is actually quite good but what really surprised me what how well the handled the whole narrator format. The voice acting is great and the narrator and his listeners will discuss the events in the bar which is a really nice touch. But what is really cool is that the world changes depending on the narration which really benefits the story and atmosphere.

Another thing that the developers really succeed with is the shooting. The shooting in the game is really fun with some tough mechanics like bullet-dodging. The gameplay do overall feel really solid even though it never really moves away from the standard fps format. Horse riding combat etc would be nice.
    One thing i should mention is the duels. The duels are certainly not terrible but the do feel like the weakest part of the gameplay.

Summary: Call of Juarez Gunslinger was a fresh breath of air for me. The game delivers a really solid campaign with excellent shooting mechanics and well put together gameplay. The campaign could be a bit longer (around six hours) but i believe that it delivers more than enough considering the games cheap price. There are also some other game-modes like arcade and duel which you can spend some time on.
  89. Jun 17, 2013
    I need to rewrite my review of this which I wrote in haste. This is the first time I tried to play for any duration and the postbox field of view has me feeling so ill I just can play it. Reminds me of why i had to get rid of my console. Catastrophic and a pity as it was a fun game.

No replay value at all so a very short linear game but worth it if you get it cheap and need some entertainment for the weekend unless looking through a tiny letterbox field of view makes you ill.
  90. Jun 17, 2013
    The Call of Juarez franchise certainly went down hill after the first two. If you never played the first two you might like this one. Beyond the name of "Call of Juarez" there is no similarity. This version has no plot, beyond going from place to place killing famous wild west characters in an arcade way. The cartoony graphics are unappealing, noisy and too busy, making itThe Call of Juarez franchise certainly went down hill after the first two. If you never played the first two you might like this one. Beyond the name of "Call of Juarez" there is no similarity. This version has no plot, beyond going from place to place killing famous wild west characters in an arcade way. The cartoony graphics are unappealing, noisy and too busy, making it uncomfortable. Of course if you liked the Borderlands graphics you'll like this. After the disaster of "Cartel" Techland returned to it's roots of the old West but completely fail at regaining the glory of the first two games. The $15 price tag was a clue. Sad. Expand
  91. Jun 15, 2013
    Brillant shooter with Wild West bcakground. The story telling is superb, haven't seen any game like this before. The whole single palyer campaign is about 7 hours which is pretty good for a downable title. However you can spend another 10 hours in arcade mode. The game didn't let feel down for a single minute!
  92. Jun 14, 2013
    Best 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through everyBest 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through every nook and cranny of the levels is worth it. The guns and gunplay was done brilliantly not since the iD Doom/Rage shotgun have I had so much fun shooting! (everything from badguys to rusty coffee cans to chickens)
    The gameplay mechanics on bullet time, bullet dodging and duels was executed perfectly. The story ideas were well thought out and engaging, with an original story telling idea that you play both what the legend tells, and what the actual history was. (with the legend and the reality usually being wildly different)
    A short game, but lots of replayabilty with different game play modes and leaderboards, etc.
    If Ubi set out to atone for the horrible mess that was "C.o.J The Cartel" then they have redeemed themselves totally, and have made what is quite possibly one of the best western games ever made.
    Totally worth the new release price of 15$ and a must have if it ever goes on sale!
  93. JEK
    Jun 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Last week I was reading the review section and there are lots of positive reviews so I decided to get the game. At first it's quite fun because it's been a long time since I've played a western shooting game. Aftter the 2nd episode I felt like it's purely shooting game, your mission is to shoot and shoot and shoot.
    I like the blood splatter, the concentration, the 1 on 1 showdown. But overall it's like an arcade game with movement.

The narrative is very good but the problem is they overdo it. The game was very short. I was expecting Horse riding or any special Mission.

Overall, the game was smooth, the graphics good, AI cardboard AI.

The collection of nuggets was great to see the story of every outlaw.

It's an average game.
  94. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely the best part of Call of Juarez series. If You like good western climate and a good fps You will love this game. Plot is nice, collectibles are even making it better. Guns and possibilities are also fine. And there are some activities that allow You to continue fun after ending the main game. Techland is a Polish firm and I'm proud of it.
  95. Jun 8, 2013
    Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings.Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings. This could be why the price was so reasonable. Still, this game was fun and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished it. Expand
  96. Jun 6, 2013
    Awesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun asAwesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun as much as possible and thats what it sure does. Western would have to be second in my book of most favorite game styles. Its worth the money i must say. also the cut scenes are skip-able if i remember correctly. 10/10 Expand
  97. Jun 6, 2013
    It is hard to rate this game by comparing it with other games. So lets keep the facts based on the game. Gunslinger tells us the story of how the protagonist is killing and interacting with famous western Characters, like Billy the Kid or the Dalton Brothers. Every character has its own Story that is told which is in general combined to an overall story of the protagonist.
    The gameplay is
    The gameplay is very basic and as far as I can say, the shooting itself is relatively unprecice. Very often I was wondering myself why I didnt hit an enemy even though I was definitivly sure I hit.
    Along with that the game comes with a score based rating, which counts your headshots and combo kills and rates it.
    Funny parts of the game are definitivly when the story is changed while telling and so does the level at the same time. This is something that makes Gunslinger pretty unique.

In general comapred to other Shooters, this game is more then average but only costs 15 Euros so its worth its price and thats why I give it a 7 out of 10
  98. Jun 6, 2013
    I played the 2 first levels of the story mode and my 1st impression is Wouaw!
    Graphics, voices, sounds of gunfire and ambient are beautiful.
    It's possible to specialize in a branch like in borderlands (Talent Tree).
    I've played many FPS but never a FPS with a Western environment but now I'm really in love!
  99. Jun 5, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let's hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.
    The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013's Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  100. Jun 3, 2013
    For a quick $15, this game has been a lot of fun. The variety of weapons, skills to upgrade, and enjoyable gameplay make it a great game. Ordinarily, I would give this game an 8, but seeing the budget price tag combined with a load of fun made me give this game a 9. It reminds me of the cheap but enjoyable shooters of the late 90s.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    The Call of Juarez series has had its ups and downs over the years, but Gunslinger stands proud—not only against its own checkered past, but against the FPS genre as a whole. It may not be a subtle or particularly nuanced experience, but it's certainly a cracking good time delivered with a style and confidence that's rarely seen in a full-priced title, let alone a $15 download.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 9, 2013
    Call of Juarez returns to western genre, and that is fine. A pity though, it imitates itself, even its competition. However, this story is worth it even without a happy-ending. [Issue#231]
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Don’t mistake price for quality – this is a top-notch shooter, limited in resources but not in heart.