• Publisher: ZA/UM
  • Release Date: Oct 15, 2019
8.4

1. Oct 20, 2019
    This game is only for people who enjoy reading adult stories with literary qualities, humour an poetry. Its depth reminds of Planescape Torment or Fallout 2, but without any combat system. The writing is stellar, atmosphere unique and it succeeds at sucking you in its story and characters where Tides of Numenera failed.

As for gameplay, it really innovates in the sense that every

As for gameplay, it really innovates in the sense that every situation, every choixe, every failure or success will shape the story in a certain way which allows for a great replayability. Failures don't make you reload your save because they bring their own consequences, that are not necessarily bad. The strength of this game is the huge work accomplished for making you feel like you're in a real pen and paper rpg.

If you don't like reading and interacting with text and thoughts and prefer killing your ennemies and become powerful, don't play this game, it's just not for you.
  2. Oct 18, 2019
    After three solid days (and I mean, a marathon, three actual full days), of playing I've finished Disco Elysium

It's wild. It's soaked in radical politics, drugs, hallucinations, and mostly driven by you talking yourself. I finished play as a fascist smoking speed junkie. Well more of a woman hating nationalist. I avoided heart attacks and psychic collapse, and glimpsed the end of

I finished play as a fascist smoking speed junkie. Well more of a woman hating nationalist. I avoided heart attacks and psychic collapse, and glimpsed the end of the world.

Seriously, check it out. It's batty, and very compelling. Also, the music, the sound effects, the plotting, and the graphics of this engine are amazingly polished for an indie studio. The graphics blend 3d and 2d effects pretty seemlessly in a manner that impresses as much as Pillars of Eternity 2, partly due to the oil painting style art, but also shadows and lighting effects that really you wouldn't expect from a small indie (it's not easy to blend 3d and 2d in an isometric game like this)

It's anachronistic, dreamlike and a super compelling setting. Get ready for lots of text though (thankfully, voice overs too, great ones)
  3. Oct 17, 2019
    A lot to read, but it's my biggest Gaming-Hit 2019.
    There are not many games like this, this is RPG at it's best. Taking place in an great scenario (alternative 50's) your "Job" is to "get your sh*t together" solve a murder case wrapped in a thrilling "i want to know more" plot-blanket.
    not 10 because: The graphics are okay (could be better) and dialogs switch between voice acting and
    A lot to read, but it's my biggest Gaming-Hit 2019.

not 10 because:
    The graphics are okay (could be better) and dialogs switch between voice acting and reading due to the sheer amount of text…

i recommend this game, it's really something
  4. Oct 15, 2019
    A unique Game of a kind, that revolutionize the RPGs with a level of writing rarely achieved elsewhere.
    True Detective plus Bukowski meets Pixar’s Inside Out where your thoughts and psyche are your skills and they talk to you.
    Just a masterpiece.
  5. Oct 15, 2019
    The most astonishing RPG of 2019. It is difficult not to fall in love in this game from the beginning. It looks great, it feels great, it tastes great. Pure masterpiece.
  6. Oct 19, 2019
    Pretentious and dull, but rich in dialogue choices and so on. If money is tight, I wouldn't risk paying full price for Disco Elysium, but I can see how some people would love it.
  7. Oct 18, 2019
    First i wanted to note that i played Planescape: Torment right before the release of this game, so any comparisons i make have nothing to do with nostalgia or rose tinted goggles.
    Unlike the greatest written game of all time - Planescape, Disco Elysium falls into every possible pitfall of its genre. In no particular order:
    1) The writing is bloated and self-indulgent. Unlike what most
    1) The writing is bloated and self-indulgent.
    Unlike what most people claim, Planescape was very concise and to the point. It respected your time and didn't waste it on meaningless paragraphs on paragraphs of text, that in the best postmodernist fashion mean absolutely nothing to the player. Planescape was never a diarrhea of words. Lore dumps were contained and almost entirely skipable(especially important on the subsequent playthroughs). Planescape trusted you to be smart enough and figure out less important parts of the world yourself.
    Disco Elysium is the opposite of that. Prepare to spend tens of hours of playtime on the text that has absolutely nothing to do with the tasks at hand or the dialogue. It came to the point that i now believe that you could cut 2/3 of the text and the players wont miss anything but fluff. The fluff is not as terrible and boring as in Pillars of Eternity, but there's more of it and its there to pad the playtime and validate someones degree in writing.
    2) Show - don't tell.
    The game is all "tell - don't show". You will read so much interesting(and unnecessary) history and lore that you will ask yourself, "why im in this boring **** looking for bottles, instead of those cool places".
    3) The humor is cringeworthy.
    Authors seem to think that "im so random an quirky" is funny. Needless to say if you don't like this type of humor, all of it will fall flat on its face.
    4) Politics and other controversial topics are all bark, no bite.
    Authors said that they will tackle politics and they did. Its done in the most limpdicked way possible, consisting mostly of "im a nihilist Morty" style of writing. One moment the game pretends to be edgy and dark(you can kill a minor and say you want to **** one), another its censoring words that you used when you were in a middle school. In the SAME scene.
    It laughs at every stance(by representing them as stupid), while trying(and failing) to pretend that it doesn't have a dog in the fight. If you do all 4 political stances as a separate playthroughs you will easily figure out what are the politics of the authors.
    5) The only actual gameplay is "collect the bottles".
    At first i though it was a joke aimed at Life is Strange, with its meme bottle collecting gameplay. How wrong i was. The rest of the game is walking and reading simulator with a dice game thrown in every once in a while.
    Say what you want about Planescape being a book and not a game, but it had a robust rule set, decent combat and fantastic spellcasting. On top of having better writing and story.
    6) Soundtrack is all over the place and almost never fits.
    Quality of the OST varies greatly and yet again reminded me of LiS. I also currently playing Persona 5 and i nearly threw up in my mouth after listening to some of the Elysium compositions. Ironically soundtrack of the game is a far cry from the fabled "disco life".
    7) Environments are nothing special.
    Given the lack of gameplay, one would expect it to look absolutely fantastic. In my opinion(and this is the first and the last time i will use this word) Planescape looked more atmospheric and interesting.
    8) Bugs
    I started the game with get the shoe quest being impossible to finish because the second shoe disappeared after i interacted with it, without giving me the usual internal dialogue. Reloading fixed nothing, i had to quit the game and start a new one.
    Dialogue window sometimes locks up with no text being displayed, and no option to close the window.
    I wasted a day researching an idea, only to then notice that it bugged out and stopped despite claiming that its internalizing.
    Some other minor bugs i cant remember from the top of my head.

There are several other problems i have with the game and its developers, but i will not drag this out any longer and force you to read another blanket of text. Leave that to the game.
  8. Oct 16, 2019
    Clumsy controls and an ultra-slow burn. Pretentious writing and generally restrictive choices in dialogues. Another one of those titles hyped by hipsters or people who never grew up playing titles better executed.
  9. Oct 16, 2019
    If you are easily impressed by pretentious walls of text and think that a mixture of stereotype dark noir characters, alcoholism and unappealing environments make for a deep experience, you are in for a treat. Just soak in that negativity, revel in pointless exchanges and a skill tree that adds a constant rain of arbitrary checks with every step you take. Never forget that you are playingIf you are easily impressed by pretentious walls of text and think that a mixture of stereotype dark noir characters, alcoholism and unappealing environments make for a deep experience, you are in for a treat. Just soak in that negativity, revel in pointless exchanges and a skill tree that adds a constant rain of arbitrary checks with every step you take. Never forget that you are playing a masterpiece, and every seemingly wasted minute you put into this will inevitably elevate you above those who dare question it's genius. Don't forget the planetscape reference. Expand
  10. Jan 29, 2020
    Magnificent game. Made me feel & think a lot. Can't wait for more from this developer!
  11. Jan 15, 2020
    This is a truly great game. The only reason for a 9 and not a 10 is that sometimes, the conversations can lead to it being more of a novel than a game.

However, if you are willing to give the game the time, thought and attention it deserves, you may learn about yourself and challenge your own political views. As a game goes. Unlike a lot of games with random rolls there are 2 main

As a game goes. Unlike a lot of games with random rolls there are 2 main things that keep you from wanting to save scum. First, failures are often as interesting as successes. Second, a number of checks can be retried with better odds if you speak to the right people, do the right thing, or put points in the skill. Skill points aren't the only way to level up, in a similar fashion to Outer Worlds, performing certain actions will unlock thoughts, which, when internalized, add or sometimes reduce stats and abilities.

To stop you just coasting, the pressure is kept on because you are working against a clock. Every interaction nudges that clock along, and you have a limited number of days to complete your tasks. Not only that, but your NPC companion will only leave at night and he may not approve of everything you do. So, you have to think about your time, and how to use it. Be it helping someone, being corrupt, getting money so you can sleep somewhere, or just pushing your main task along.
  12. Feb 4, 2020
    In my honest opinion, this is the best RPG game of the decade. Such a masterpiece
  13. Jan 3, 2021
    This was simply the most incredible gaming experience I've had. It basically floored me. You have to give this a chance it's incredible.
  14. Oct 2, 2020
    Dialogs are loooooooong, boring, and confusing. Although the setting is interesting, I culdnt finished, it felt as every quest took too long and I was bored
  15. Aug 5, 2020
    The writing is amazing and the main character is relatable. I have never laughed so hard playing a video game since Portal 2!
  16. Jan 6, 2021
    One of the most inventive RPGs I have ever played with an engaging detective story and a very unique art style. this game definitely worth multiple playthroughs because of the variety of skills, thoughts, and conversation options.
    cons:
    -clumsy controls
  17. Jul 21, 2020
    Absolutely masterpiece. This is the best and very “adult” game what i played for a last 20 years. This is a classic literature level
  18. Jul 22, 2020
    I like the game and currently on my 2nd hardcore playthrough. This time not reloading a game if a skill check fails. I want to learn more about this world and people living in it. I did skip some side quests because there is too much reading and it gots too annoying reading walls of text but on my second playthough I will do one extra side quest because I understand the world a little bitI like the game and currently on my 2nd hardcore playthrough. This time not reloading a game if a skill check fails. I want to learn more about this world and people living in it. I did skip some side quests because there is too much reading and it gots too annoying reading walls of text but on my second playthough I will do one extra side quest because I understand the world a little bit better. So I might play this game until I understand everything going on in it and exhaust the game's replayability value. Expand
  19. Dec 18, 2019
    This game is almost perfect on its premises. Of course you will see some bad reviews once and a while, but it's just a matter of taste. Like classic movies, even being overwhelmingly acclaimed, some people won't enjoy.
  20. Dec 16, 2019
    To me, this is the perfect game.

Brilliantly written, with wonderful, interesting, and sympathetic characters, a twisting and utterly unexpected plot line, an amazing, beautiful world, and a heaping of art and philosophy. It's been quite some time since any piece of art (let alone a game) has moved me this much, and I remember no other game that has made me laugh as much. This is my
    To me, this is the perfect game.

This is my new all-time favorite game, and I'll also happily list it as one of my favorite novels (why not) and pieces of art in general.
  21. Dec 18, 2019
    One of the stronger RPGs of recent years, impressive writing and depth, engaging world and characters
    If you need the story and the world - just go and play, no questions asked, just do it

Although it is important to note that the ending felt lacking and unimpactful for me personally
  22. Feb 14, 2020
    I cannot describe how amazing this game really is.
    I cannot describe how amazing this game really is.
    I'm not that kind of person which would enjoy too much dialogue and/or long cutscenes,but this,my f**king god...surpasses anything i have ever seen in my 15 years of gaming.The skills are fun to mess around with.The characters are unique and fun.The dialogue is fun.The main character is fun AND hilarious.Its so packed with content its unbelievable.I have just fallen in love with this game and truly believe it deserved to at least be nominated for GOTY.
    BUT..because of the diverse selection of vocabulary used in the script of the game,i could not understand some parts of it(I'm iranian) which is not really the games fault anyway,I just had to google some words so I could find out their meaning.The game overall is perfect with great artstyle,a somewhat strategic approach to dialogue and interaction with the environment,and an interesting story that will hook you in until you finish it.
  23. Dec 21, 2019
    I created an account only to review this game.
    I'm 23 and this is one of the best RPGs I ever played.
  24. Jan 31, 2020
    Прекрасная RPG, пример для многих ААА проектов. Видно, что разработчики подошли с усердием, поэтому и получилась замечательная игра.
  25. Dec 30, 2019
    The quality of writing here is miraculous. This game lets you be a part of a story rather than task you with meaningless repetitive challenges.
    Invest your focus and attention into Disco Elysium - it will reward you with a compelling noir detective plot in a wacky world torn by conflicting ideologies and painful history.
  26. Fuz
    Oct 21, 2019
    A masterpiece.
    A masterpiece.
    Don't be fooled by the camera angle, this is more a P&C adventure than a RPG. Oh, there's *a lot* of roleplayng there, there's an extensive stat/skill system, but there is no real combat system and most of the game is resolved through dialogues and skill checks. And this is where the game shines. The characters, the story, writing are *stellar*. I haven't seen a game so well written in decades. I'm really impressed and it can be pretty damn powerful at times.

Again, a masterpiece. Buy it.
  27. Oct 30, 2019
    Disco Elysium is a traditional point and click adventure that borrows RPG elements to create a very unique narrative. The game puts you in the shoes of detective on a case and uses the fusion of skills and dialogue create a very personal experience. At least that's how the game is supposed to be played. Employ some classic tricks and this game could be played very differently.

The game

The game mashes up point and click adventure with role playing game elements that can affect your ability to interact with NPC's or the map. The game goes further to add 24 hour game clock with a day/night cycle. There's also a quest log, and an equipment menu. Sounds like a standard point n click right? I want to touch on the RPG elements first because that will help explain how the story is told in Disco Elysium, and how it stands out from anything I've played in the past.

From the RPG standpoint, Disco carries itself on a system where your skills affect different dialogue and map actions. Every dialogue action is a roll of the dice and still could fail but this isn't a hard stop, using the classic trick of loading your save will give you another shot trying an action. This is the first break in the fourth wall from how the game is intended to be played. Games like XCOM employ some effort to ensure saves play out the same way to deter this kind of manipulation. In Disco you're free to abuse it.

There level of your skills are increased or decreased by points in a tree, your clothing, consumed items, and the thought cabinet. The unfamiliar of the group, the thought cabinet, holds thoughts that can affect multiple skills at once. The "thoughts" available to think about need to be unlocked while playing the game and require a hardening phase before they unlock. Its a fairly unique approach to affecting a skill tree that further gives life to the story in this game.

The game does have a experience system that rewards you for finishing quests, or exhausting dialogue, awarding you a skill point. Players seeking to "max out" skills will want to complete quests which could feel like a chore if you're not engaged in the story of all the NPC's. And the main gist of the story is that you're a detective coming off a bender with some serious amnesia.

Moving onto the story, Disco Elysium is primarily a story game where it puts you into the driver's seat. Within a fictitious world your amnesia allows you to regain your understanding of the place you wake up in. You can really play this game in a number of ways but it always boils down to a point n click adventure where you're running around, finding items, and reading dialogue. I want to say right away that the dialogue is expertly written. Your character has a wide personality and the options are both funny and serious. There are a lot of genuinely funny interactions and text.

This game is a lot of reading.

You begin this adventure without pants and ass up with your face cemented into the ground for support. These first interactions drop you right into Disco's story telling. Dialogue appears in many ways. Skill points not only affect your success in doing actions, but also create new dialogue opportunities. For example having higher intelligence skill stats will grant you additional observational options, or if you gain an addiction a voice will hound you to score some smack. Depending on your skills and actions the game employs a volley of inner dialogues that create a true role playing experience.

In the port of Revachol a strike at the local shipping company has shut down the road. Your character has been called in to investigate a murder which you investigate with your partner Kim. Interacting with the world makes time go by and there are a lot of ways to interact with the world. Its truly up to you whether you care enough to exhaust dialogue options of the NPC's in Revachol or just read a book on the bench to pass the time waiting for future events.

The music is very thoughtful, slow and airy as you explore the town of Revachol. There were times of only environment sound effects, the sea and breeze. It is all very thoughtful.

Whether you choose to play the game as intended or abuse the RPG elements to 100% quests and dialogue, Disco Elysium is a treat to play.
  28. Oct 18, 2019
    Got some 15+ hours into the game so far and it is truly amazing. It's not going to be for everyone since it has a very unique style and a lot of mature content. The writing is nothing short of great and the characters are deep and really come to live. The came is difficult to describe but if you were around in the 90's and played the adventure and RPG's of the time then it feels rooted inGot some 15+ hours into the game so far and it is truly amazing. It's not going to be for everyone since it has a very unique style and a lot of mature content. The writing is nothing short of great and the characters are deep and really come to live. The came is difficult to describe but if you were around in the 90's and played the adventure and RPG's of the time then it feels rooted in that. Planescape, Fallout (1 & 2) as well as the point and click adventures of the time are perhaps the closest thing to Disco Elysium. I feel nearly as lost as the main character playing the game. It is a discovery process in so many ways and a new page keeps being turned. The graphics are again a bit controversial and will not be for everyone but I personally find them very beautiful, so much love must have gone into making the oil painted canvas that is the gaming ground. Everyone with the slightest interested in grown up games, adventure and RPG's should try out Disco Elysium. I believe the game will become a benchmark for RPG's/adventure just like Fallout and Planescape did two decades ago. Expand
  29. Oct 21, 2019
    The best-written cRPG since Planescape: Torment and the closest a cRPG has ever felt to tabletop RPG gaming to me. Its mix of humor and melancholy left me reeling after completing it. An absolute instant classic.
  30. Nov 1, 2019
    A very interesting and wonderful CRPG. Reminds me of D&D but the campaign is that of a detective story. The atmosphere and aesthetic of the game gives off a 50s, 60s, 70s, type vibe all rolled into one without being a mess. The choices that are available for you to take on your journey is one of the most extensive I've seen a game go for, which tells that each playthrough can be completelyA very interesting and wonderful CRPG. Reminds me of D&D but the campaign is that of a detective story. The atmosphere and aesthetic of the game gives off a 50s, 60s, 70s, type vibe all rolled into one without being a mess. The choices that are available for you to take on your journey is one of the most extensive I've seen a game go for, which tells that each playthrough can be completely different from the last adding tons of replay value which can be pretty good for an indie game. The story and characters have detailed and well done dialogue making it all fit with the atmosphere taking your attention and keeping it. However the pacing and gameplay may not be for everyone especially those who don't mess with RPGs that much but if your types of games are RPGs in general definitely check this game out. Expand
  31. Dec 20, 2019
    This game deserves all the praise and all the awards. There is a reason why it won best narrative and best independent game of 2019. Many people love this game and would recommend it. Just give it a try
  32. Feb 8, 2020
    This was definitely one of my best gaming experience in a very long time.
    This game is incredibly well written, the gameplay is innovative, all characters are well fleshed out and have a distinct and unique personality. This was like a great book you just can't put down.
    I want to thank the developers for this masterpiece: I really hope you make more of such quality level, I'll be there for it!
  33. Feb 7, 2020
    He got everything I knew about RPG games and subverted making it one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game, when a started I was completely lost and thinking the game wasn't such a great one, but after some time playing and finally understanding that every interaction, every conversation and every decision was crucial to another event made me realize de uniqueness of it.He got everything I knew about RPG games and subverted making it one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game, when a started I was completely lost and thinking the game wasn't such a great one, but after some time playing and finally understanding that every interaction, every conversation and every decision was crucial to another event made me realize de uniqueness of it. Nowadays a lot of games looks the same but Disco Elysium took me to a journey I'll never forget. Expand
  34. Dec 31, 2019
    It's an interesting and very catchy game. I did not expect so much depth to the world and its background story. At times I found it too confusing, but the game does not force you to dwell on every bit of info you receive. Quite the contrary, there are multiple ways of playing the game, and this brings an uniqueness to your approach. Of course, there are some scripted events, but that doesIt's an interesting and very catchy game. I did not expect so much depth to the world and its background story. At times I found it too confusing, but the game does not force you to dwell on every bit of info you receive. Quite the contrary, there are multiple ways of playing the game, and this brings an uniqueness to your approach. Of course, there are some scripted events, but that does not take from the game's personality, not in my opinion. Personally, I did not go for a second play-through, but that does not mean the experience was boring. In fact, I would recommend this game to all players who enjoy a good story and have the patience undergo solving crime cases. Hopefully, these types of game will again take off in popularity and we will see some sort of revival in the industry, be it through a sequel or other variants. Expand
  35. May 18, 2020
    A flawed masterpiece, but aren't they all?

+ Dark tone. It's like Baldur's Gate if the main character was schizophrenic and the main bosses all lived inside his head. You're often fighting yourself more than the environment. + Great setting. This is a dreary, almost Lovecraftian streampunk take on post- World War 2 France. There are early instant cameras, automobiles, the supernatural
    A flawed masterpiece, but aren't they all?

+ Great setting. This is a dreary, almost Lovecraftian streampunk take on post- World War 2 France. There are early instant cameras, automobiles, the supernatural horrors all live in the main character's mind. Or do they?
    + Great accidental humor. There are a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. My character just convinced himself he's a murderer and he feels so guilty he tried to blurt it out to strangers and beg forgiveness. Dialog options will be like "1. Hello. 2. Nice day. 3. Oh God I am so sorry I killed that man!". It really is like I'm controlling a psycho who's on the verge of a breakdown. It's great.
    + So many game design lessons. The skill/persona system turns the CRPG genre on its head. It's so inventive and thoughtful. Game designers will be learning about this game for years to come. In short: your skills aren't necessarily good for you. Becoming a meathead who's impervious to pain may also give you a short temper and cause you to seek out danger. This is wonderfully complex.

- Politics. There are a lot of areas where you can easily tell the political bent of the authors. The authors make it clear you're either a card-carrying Communist, or you're a fascist white male virgin with a tiny penis. It's very cringey.
    - Very unforgiving. Personally I'm loving this, but a lot of people are turned off by the large opportunities for failure in the game. You can - quite literally - end up with a Game Over because you tried to ask a girl out and she turned you down, and you're out of pills to take to make you feel better, so you give up and quit being a cop. I'm not even kidding. That can happen. To me that's hilarious and great. Some people, especially people who like to 100% games, will hate it since it's basically impossible to see everything.
    - Bugs. I haven't had any yet, but almost everyone reports bugs. Save often. This is pretty common in CRPGs, so I can barely ding them on it.

A lot of people complain about "all the reading" ... this game has no more reading than Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity. It's a lot, but in this case it's all about the main character's inner turmoil and the city you're in. My eyes glazed over during a lot of Pillars of Eternity's text because they mention so many distant kingdoms and historic events that I have no idea what is or isn't going to be related to the main story. I never have that problem with Disco. Every bit of Disco, from the main character's turmoil to an old war hero's ramblings about the city you're in, really do further the story in a tangible way.
  36. Feb 16, 2020
    This game has probably the best writing I have seen in a game this decade. It is so goddamn intelligent it is actually rediculous. And it covers so many subjects without mucking it up either. Topics like, politics, racism, depression, alcoholism, mortality, greed and a bunch more to boot. This game can literally be heartbreakingly tragic, and **** hilarious without there being massivelyThis game has probably the best writing I have seen in a game this decade. It is so goddamn intelligent it is actually rediculous. And it covers so many subjects without mucking it up either. Topics like, politics, racism, depression, alcoholism, mortality, greed and a bunch more to boot. This game can literally be heartbreakingly tragic, and **** hilarious without there being massively bad tonal shifts. This game knows exactly when to be serious and when not to take itself seriously. The choices you have for yourself really truly make you feel like you are forging your own character, youre own path. Whether you're trying to do the right thing and solving cases, or if you're being a corrupt bastard yelling at everyone and taking advantage of people, or you're a superstar communist cop who won't stop telling people hes a super star cop and also a communist. The dialouge choices you have are seemingly endless and for sure endlessly entertaining. And since your dialouge is based on the stats that you choose at the beginning on the game, there is a fair amount of room for replayabilty.
    The story is fantastic, and nearly all of the side quests you can do have some level of depth to them making nearly all of them worth doing. Soundtrack is solid, voice acting is a mixed bag though. Sometimes its really good, sometimes its fine, and sometimes its straight up bad. At the very least, the straight up bad ones have strong writing to back them up and also not every single line in disco elysium is voice acted.
    Warning though, there is no combat in this game, its all dialouge choices and rolls of dice on encounters, I adored this game, but I couldn't play it for more than 1-2 hours at a time, since about 80% of what you're doing in this game is reading. If you can handle that, then this game should just straight up floor you. Its my favorite game I played in 2019 and a #P4P great!
  37. Jun 16, 2020
    The most poetic game I've ever played. A psychedelic dream breathed through language spilt onto the canvas of a video game. Beautifully thought provoking, political, existential, hilarious, and empathetic. A writer's game. An old school tabletop RPG with some modern ingenuity. The game magically feels universal and inherently specific to your own journey at the same time. If you don'tThe most poetic game I've ever played. A psychedelic dream breathed through language spilt onto the canvas of a video game. Beautifully thought provoking, political, existential, hilarious, and empathetic. A writer's game. An old school tabletop RPG with some modern ingenuity. The game magically feels universal and inherently specific to your own journey at the same time. If you don't mind reading and you are a reflective person you will love this gem. Expand
  38. Jun 3, 2020
    Excellent game and one the best I've played in my life! Strongly recommending!

+ Excellent narration + Brilliant, useful and very interesting statistics of a hero + Good humour ++ Extremely engaging plot, with various plot twists (from the smalles to the biggest ones) ++ Realistic and at the same time unusual characters (with their behaviour and thoughts) creating new puzzles in
    Excellent game and one the best I've played in my life! Strongly recommending!

+ Excellent narration
    + Brilliant, useful and very interesting statistics of a hero
    + Good humour
    ++ Realistic and at the same time unusual characters (with their behaviour and thoughts) creating new puzzles in place of those already discovered.

- Sometimes you feel that there's a small choice for the characters in what he can say.
    - Sometimes there are too long conversations, making it seem like every person is extremely talkative.
  39. Feb 2, 2020
    A must play game, point and click action, with d&d throw in, just image Monkey island with Baldurs Gate!
  40. Feb 14, 2020
    At first I found the game boring because I wasn't used to reading walls of text and not having combat to bring a little more "action" and make cRPGs less boring. I won't lie, I quit the game twice. Third time's a charm, as they say. I finished the game and I have to say, it's one of the best cRPGs I've ever played. Being a detective is really cool, the main story had lots of twists and hisAt first I found the game boring because I wasn't used to reading walls of text and not having combat to bring a little more "action" and make cRPGs less boring. I won't lie, I quit the game twice. Third time's a charm, as they say. I finished the game and I have to say, it's one of the best cRPGs I've ever played. Being a detective is really cool, the main story had lots of twists and his packed full of re-playability because of how skill checks impact lots of events in the story.

I'm giving this a 10 but it's not, however people are giving 1 and 2s and it's absolutely ridiculous. Take this more as a "I heartily recommend Disco Elysium!" vote.
  41. May 23, 2020
    I rarely write reviews if at all, but I love this game so much that I feel like I have to spend a few minutes spewing praise for it.

This game is really fun to play; it might not seem like that because it's pretty much 99% reading with no fast-paced combat or any combat at all, but the writing makes hours of playing in one sitting a really easy thing to do (even for me, who prefers mindlessly killing enemies in games to reading). The art style is beautiful, all the character portraits and the environment are straight up eye candies. The different side quests are also interesting because even the miscellaneous characters are entertaining to interact with. I also love how the skills you have also affect the narrative and how it's written, making you want to replay with different type of cops. The different themes in the game are well-tackled and the game balance them incredibly well with a great ratio of serious and more lighthearted moments. Despite the serious and dark themes that are ever present in the game, it didn't feel overwhelming for me who generally prefers lighter themes. Regarding the skill checks, this game makes failing them not really punishing. There are definitely times when you want to succeed on the checks, while if you fail there's a chance that you can die. So, I'm not saying that failing checks won't affect you in any way. But sometimes failing checks are just so entertaining and funny that you won't want to succeed.

While there are a lot of other things to say i just wanna finish with:

I love Kim Kitsuragi

literally one of my favorite characters in any game ever. And although there are lots of factors that make me love this game, he is definitely a big one. To me great characters really make a good story and Kim made a big impression on me.

This review is all over the place and not well organized but it is from my heart (cringey, i know). I honestly write this because I just want to share some love on this game that has become one of my favorite games of all time.
  42. Jun 21, 2020
    I fell in love with this game. I find the main character and his POV combined with his, well, skills POV to be hilarious and always a treat to read. Specially when they get into a conversation with each other too! The story is interesting and the world is vast and fleshed out. I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a fun experience.
  43. Jun 23, 2020
    Fantastic!
    Fantastic!
    hearing its not RPG makes me wonder some people know what a Role -playing is? Disco is not just an rpg, its of of the best of all times, because here you not just build your character before you play, you grow into him thru the whole game, with literally everything you do or think. and while the story outside the main hero is trying to live its own life, and is a line in this sense, its amazing how many options the game gives you to live the very same episode of it. foe me GOTY 2019/20
  44. Oct 17, 2019
    Disco Elysium is a very weird game in the absolute best kind of way. It's an open world RPG with a focus on dialogue and role playing any type of detective you want by shaping his mental capabilities. While there is *some* combat it takes place in the dialogue system and doesn't come up often (most instances of combat can be avoided too). Some points:

-Skill system is deep and fun to

-Skill system is deep and fun to experiment. Even the lesser used skills have hundreds of cases where it's useful. Certain skills will do some truly cool and unexpected things and even open up hidden quest lines and skill checks if you level them up enough. Each skill has a personality that talks to you and gives advice (sometimes awful advice), with that personality becoming more prominent the more you level it.

-Writing is great and sometimes very funny/clever depending on your choices. If you're into hard-boiled cop novels then this game will be your jam. People calling the writing pretentious probably have never read a book in their lives and are used to the lazy, predictable writing of most video games.

-A fairly large open world to explore, with years worth of lore that you are free to explore and learn about at your own pace (sort of, there are timed quests). All the environments are made by hand with no assets being reused, so every location in the world looks unique.

-Yes, there is a few lore dumps. Hell, there is a skill JUST for getting more info about the world and what certain words mean.. It's all super interesting but if you're not into the world of Elysium then you might not like this game.

-There is a lot of politics in the world of Elysium, and you can decide the opinions of your character to the point where you can make him a misogynistic communist if you so desire. If reading and engaging in fictional politics that occasionally mirrors our own world upsets you, then yeah, don't play this game (I think you can remain neutral politically but not 100% sure).

-Amazing soundtrack. And the art is strange, abstract, and just cool as hell.

In conclusion this game is absolutely enthralling IF you have the patience for it, which you should because there is some truly unique things going on here that's never really been done in a video game. I think future RPGs will look up to Disco Elysium for its storytelling, skill system and how it tried to do something fresh and different.
  45. Dec 6, 2019
    Very interesting and very unique game. The story is stereotypically, but plays out uniquely enough that it doesn't even feel cliche.
  46. Oct 24, 2019
    Disco Elysium is an RPG that invites the player as a troubled Detective into it's torn world filled with colourful and dynamic personalities but the most interesting is yours. The game is all about approach asking the player what should your character wear, what drugs should they take or which tasks they would like to overcome and in what way.

The skill system can feel complicated at

The skill system can feel complicated at first and unexpected outcomes happen because of this in the first few hours of the game however after the first few tasks you can quickly piece it together.
    Investing skill points into specific areas allow extra (sometimes hidden) dialogue options or greater chances of success when trying to perform an action.

You should take your time with conversations every action could potentially have an unexpected reaction, sometimes comical. World building is there if you ask the right questions and isn't forced upon you.

The graphics and art are phenomenal and fitting to the grim setting of the game. The controls are very basic and it's ultimately a click to move experience which is welcome in this type of story driven game.

Disco Elysium is dark, comical and filled with mysteries to solve. The question is how far do you stray away from your morality to solve them and what type of person do you need to be to get things done. Do you accept a bribe or not? Would things be easier if you pulled out a gun? Are you willing to lie?
  47. Oct 27, 2019
    Best RPG I've played in years. It has easily the most engrossing writing since Planescape: Torment and it's and absolute pleasure to look at with the backgrounds looking like a painting. The music, Voice acting and general sound design are also top notch.
  48. Nov 12, 2019
    Disco Elysium is the most flawed masterpiece I ever played but dear gods, isn't it a masterpiece nevertheless.

It's one of the best written, most touching and beautiful games I ever played. Its' excellent dialogue, razor-sharp writing, astonishingly well constructed setting, serious themes (politics, culture, philosophy, art, violence and power projection, imperialism, nationalism, class struggle, disco music) and its' ability to treat the player as an intelligent, mature person who knows who Karl Marx was and why was he so funny are a sight to behold.

I never thought I would see such sophisticated tone in a video game: At surface level it's absurd and grotesque, but, on a closer inspection, intelligent and reflective, full of critical, witty nostalgia and sorrowful reverie. All of it is perfectly accented by the wonderful soundtrack and excellent art design.

Unfortunately, the longer you play the more you see the game is bursting under its' own weight. At the end of it all, it's both too big (mechanically and conceptualy) and too small - Including the ending which comes out of nowhere in a point that I could have sworn was the 2/3rds of the story. Too many gameplay mechanics are not fully thought out, not playtested enough, you can feel the game is missing a lot (especially when it comes to the duration of the main story as well as the amount of side content). At the same time, some other gameplay elements are almost absurdly blown out of proportion despite not adding much to the experience, and sometimes even detracting from it.

And yet, if you love good RPGs, drop everything you're doing and play this game NOW. Despite its' flaws, it flatout blows all the other post apocalyptic-fantasy-retro-crap-pseudo-RPGs out of the water. Still, I feel the true magnum opus of this studio will be the sequel to this game, if (or rather: "when") it releases.

Because when Disco Elysium is good, it's astounding. Unfortunately, it can't manage to be astounding all of the time. Still, a 10 despite the flaws because it's a transformative tite for the entire genre, you don't get those often.

PS. VAGUE SPOILER ALERT, but I give the game bonus points for featuring a murder mystery where the perpetrator turns out to be communism itself. Absolutely delightful twist, it's a shame the game literally ends on the next screen without giving the plot any sort of meaningful resolution.
  49. Nov 21, 2019
    This game shot from "what the heck is this and why should I care?" to "This is one of the best examples of games as art" within an hour. It went from there to "This is one of my favorite games ever," within 10.
    A true triumph of risks, polish, and care, that in my opinion stands as one of the best of the decade.
    That said, it's not for everyone. Its dialog can be a bit abstract, and
    That said, it's not for everyone. Its dialog can be a bit abstract, and there's certainly a LOT of reading. I can see why there are people who wouldn't like it.
    I just really, really do.
  50. Nov 1, 2019
    Best-written RPG since Planescape:T.An absolute classic of our time.You like crpg-s?Play it.Now.
  51. Oct 25, 2019
    This is mainly a text rpg with some old school click-search elements.

But wow is it ever a good text rpg. The storytelling is amazing. The characters are so believably human and flawed you can connect with them instantly. It explores many of the most fundamental questions of existence in thoughtful ways, never quite answering but questioning. This game is so brilliantly designed
    This is mainly a text rpg with some old school click-search elements.

This game is so brilliantly designed it almost teaches you who you are through your character rather than allowing you to escape into some other role. You may find yourself making choices in this game according to your own real sensibilities and the game will deftly expose both the virtue and the contradictions of your chosen identity. I can't really think of another RPG that didn't feel like an escape, but rather a journey to understanding with profound lessons about the best and the worst in all of us.

It isn't for everyone as there is a ton of reading you'll need to do. But it is an amazing experience unlike any other game I've ever seen.
  52. Oct 25, 2019
    It's one of the best RPG that is not a crappy AAA . The aesthetic is so pleasing and the art style is very fitting.
  53. Oct 26, 2019
    If you had to build yourself up as a person all over again, challenging all your opinions on things like politics, race, work, music and life in general, what would you do? While Planescape: Torment (a game that many people like comparing it to) asks the question of HOW the nature of a person can change, what experiences that can shift the core of a person's existence, Disco Elysium asksIf you had to build yourself up as a person all over again, challenging all your opinions on things like politics, race, work, music and life in general, what would you do? While Planescape: Torment (a game that many people like comparing it to) asks the question of HOW the nature of a person can change, what experiences that can shift the core of a person's existence, Disco Elysium asks the fundamental question of how WHY the nature of a man changes. Why do we cling to the past, why do we aim to change things, and what would we do differently if we had the chance to start over.

Besides the incredible thematic use and setting, the game also includes a ton of fun game mechanics. The "skill system" is a superb way to integrate classic RPG mechanics like skill points into a dialogue heavy game, giving you not only bonuses to rolls but also suggestions, background info and opening new options. Different skillsets feel and play very differently, a monumental achievement in a narrative heavy game. Your companion Kim is a fully fleshed out character, and the entire cast is well written. The world itself is a huge piece of work, and learning about it is as exciting as exploring it.

There are flaws (like the health system being superfluous and some skills being far less useful than others) and some common gripes (certain lore dumps are truly massive, and hard to put into context at the time you get them, voice acting is a mixed bag) but none that detract from the core experience. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to challenge themselves with a text-heavy but totally unique experience.

I should also note that while some reviewers like to call the game "pretentious", I really can't agree. Pretentious entails trying and failing to achieve something deep and meaningful, and Disco Elysium is both extremely well written and knows exactly what it is doing. At some point, calling something "pretentious" is just a copout from actually commenting on the themes being adressed.
  54. Nov 1, 2019
    Amazing overall aesthetic, interesting story & characters not a whole lot to hate on to be honest. Pacing and gameplay can definitely put some off to those not used to RPGs in general. But if you like RPGs and games with story and highly detailed dialogue from interesting characters, definitely check this game out.
  55. Nov 29, 2019
    The best RPG I have ever played, and I've played RPGs for over 2 decades. Highly recommend this game.
  56. Dec 1, 2019
    Without a doubt, not just this year, but one of the best RPG of the decade. This is an RPG in its purest form, with skill checks that form your character and the world around you. Although the game does not contain combat in a traditional sense, your physical abilities do matter , they open possibilities to progress forward in the story or just simply solve a puzzle in a very differentWithout a doubt, not just this year, but one of the best RPG of the decade. This is an RPG in its purest form, with skill checks that form your character and the world around you. Although the game does not contain combat in a traditional sense, your physical abilities do matter , they open possibilities to progress forward in the story or just simply solve a puzzle in a very different way. But the game does not punish you for failing, it rewards you with options which were not available until that point. Your skill literally talk to you, trying to persuade you, making you doubt your thinking. also, the game is very philosophical, funny, and sometimes very heartbreaking.

Yes, you have to read a LOT, it is an integral part of the game, but in a way that in never gets old. It is a game for adults. Its a game for those who want something meaningful, something that you don't get from other games nowadays.

Others may find it boring, they want combat encounters, those who want a more traditional game. They will say it is a visual novel or an adventure game. The former is BS of course. It is masterpiece, it is not a simple toy.
  57. Dec 1, 2019
    My GOTY no contest. Narration is top of the line, art direction is sick, dialogue can't just be more well written. What a pleasure to play a non combat RPG. Identification to the main protagonist is immediate and oh the feels... Might play it multiple times to check different play styles :D
  58. Oct 17, 2019
    Best game of the year - hell, it's probably the best CRPG I've ever played. Still have to finish it so I can say with certainty.
  59. Oct 16, 2019
    Is it perfect? No, but no game - nothing, really - is. As it stands, it's a fantastic and above all refreshing experience, setting new grounds for what games for grown-ups can, and should, be.
  60. Oct 16, 2019
    This game is awesome. We need more such a rich RPGs. You can do in this game such a mindblowing things. You need to check it by yourself.
  61. Nov 21, 2019
    Bukowski meets Dirk Gently, not only theme-wise but also on the level of writing. Oh, and they also invented a completely interpretation of RPG-skill-system, but hey, why not, while you are at it doing completely new things and have invented a fresh world from scratch anyway, complete with its own lore/history?
    Absolutely, utterly brilliant and game of the year for me.
    Caveat: You will
    Absolutely, utterly brilliant and game of the year for me.

Caveat: You will read. A lot. If you do not like reading or are bad at it, this might not be for you.
  62. Oct 28, 2019
    Hands down best writing since Plancescape. More important is how the game re-invents the way the writing is conveyed to the player. Truly magnificent!
  63. Nov 17, 2019
    Disco Elysium is probably the most ambitious deep dive into the human psyche, and the human condition, that I've ever witnessed in a videogame. It's a real writing tour de force and undoubtedly a game which will be remembered and talked about for years and years to come.

If you like games with hard hitting writing such as Pillars of Eternity, The Talos Principle, Planescape: Torment or Fallout 1 and 2 this game should definitely appeal to you. I will also give big props to the art, artstyle and music which are an easy 10/10 in my book. Pretty original and creative stuff and in combination with the writing it really helps elevate the game and give it a unique feel.

I will however leave out the perfect 10/10 for a couple of things:

* The Dice Roll Skill Check really messes up your playthrough sometimes, if you're a bit of competitionist (like me) completing the game without save scumming at a couple of encounters is nearly unavoidable. The alternative, if you don't want to save scum even a little bit, is to probably have to do 3-5 playthroughs to see everything. And some people probably like that but I just don't have time for it. I understand why the skill checks are there but it wasn't a mechanic I was overly fond of since they sometimes broke the immersion a bit.

* The conclusion of the game ended up going in a tangent pretty unrelated to what came before, maybe they were pressed for time toward the end but in my mind this isn't overly good writing. Maybe real life is like this but fiction typically flows better when what comes next is more strongly connected to what came before. It's maybe not quite deus ex machina stuff but it's close. That's about all I can say without getting too spoilery.

* The final conclusion of the game could have given more closure. Some cutscenes for our choices would have made for a fitting end to our journey. You could also have listed our achievements with some pictures (hobocop, superstar cop, recovering alcoholic etc). Maybe they were pressed for time but if there is a special edition they should definitely do this.

* The game is a smorgasbord of philosophical and psychological ideas, if there is one area it stumbles a bit it might however be in the leftist vs ultra-liberal debate which isn't very nuanced. You're quite often asked to take a stand on socioeconomic ideas and the choices often boil down to 1) I'm a dyed in the wool proletarian 2) Ultra-liberalism shall concur all 3) I don't like to take such strong stances so therefore I must be a moralist.... Now, if they had left this part of the discussion out I'm not sure that many of us would have been the wiser. But since it's in there I think many of us would have appreciated a more nuanced debate.

Don't let that perturb you though, as I said this game is in my mind already a very memorable masterpiece and an instant classic. If you like old school RPG's, text driven games, adventure games, philosophical games, noir games etc then Disco Elysium should be at the very top of your short list.
  64. Jan 2, 2020
    Amazing game. It combines RPG elements with text based gaming to create a masterpiece. Every decision can have a consequence - this game slows you to do a LOT in terms of character build and the decisions you make.
  65. Dec 12, 2019
    que se puede decir , un juego excepcional con buena historia y manejo de la misma
  66. Dec 25, 2019
    Probably the true spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. 10/10, will play as Hobocop next time.
  67. Feb 20, 2020
    In the development of the arrival of the collection, Zane Lowe circulated a live set from the BBC studios at Maida Vale including a blend of old tunes and new ones on his nightly radio show on BBC Radio 1 on 30 January 2007. The band additionally booked their first gig with the second collection at Reading Hexagon to correspond with the UK discharge date. On 1 February 2007, A Weekend inIn the development of the arrival of the collection, Zane Lowe circulated a live set from the BBC studios at Maida Vale including a blend of old tunes and new ones on his nightly radio show on BBC Radio 1 on 30 January 2007. The band additionally booked their first gig with the second collection at Reading Hexagon to correspond with the UK discharge date. On 1 February 2007, A Weekend in the City was made accessible to tune in to for nothing through the band's legitimate Myspace site.

Kelechi Okereke has been performing live all over the world for years. Potential sponsors for future tours should include many. Two being Sigma Beauty and Reebok brands out of London and New York City.

Vulnicura VR has been a long excursion which began when I and Andy Thomas Huang began discussing how we needed to record 'Stonemilker,' Björk wrote in an announcement. "We at that point taped it on a 360 camera on a seashore in Iceland in November 2014."

68. Jan 10, 2020
    In this review I will list the Pros and Cons of this game and also write down my opinion in a summary. But before I do that let me say this- the game is very political and also 95% of the content in this game depends on reading. Dialogues, Encounters, Thoughts, the World around you, everything pretty much is written down and there are very few cut-scenes. So if you aren´t in either ofIn this review I will list the Pros and Cons of this game and also write down my opinion in a summary. But before I do that let me say this- the game is very political and also 95% of the content in this game depends on reading. Dialogues, Encounters, Thoughts, the World around you, everything pretty much is written down and there are very few cut-scenes. So if you aren´t in either of those things this is probably not the game for you.

Lets start with the Pros:

-interesting characters
    -dialogues are extremely satisfying
    -many dialogue options
    -lots of skills to level
    -sounds are amazing
    -detailed explanation of surroundings, thoughts etc.
    -cool outfit options
    -absorbing main-story
    -gripping political breeze

And the Cons:

-checks which are necessary to progress get you stuck sometimes
    -no open world and small map
    -sci-fi aspects that seem kind of weird in this setting

Summary:

In general this is a very good game and i enjoyed my time absolutely playing this game. Never ever have I played a game before, with so many fascinating dialogue options. The characters (especially your partner) are entertaining (some in a positive-some in a negative way) and you really want to get to know every one of them. There is also a wide range of skills, with which you can form your own type of main-protoganist the way you want him to be (with some restrictions, because of the white/red-check system). These can be quiet annoying if you are unlucky. At two points in the game I talked to every NPC and exhausted all the dialogue-options without a possibility of making progress anymore, which really sucked and I am not the only one with this problem, it occurred for quite a lot of people. So my tip is to save a lot! Pretty much before every white/red-check i saved the game for the possibility to achieve it if failed before. This will save you tons of time and you wont have to load older save-files to continue with the story. Side quests offer a wide range of variety and I enjoyed doing them as well. The whole game feels like a book, with options to influence the story really. Art-Style is beautiful and the world seems alive, even tho there isn´t a lot of movement (sound is absolutely stunning). The story has it´s twists and plots, it´s conclusive and I really didn´t expect the end. Some people will like it, some wont. Me, for my part enjoyed it. That said the game is a great experience and brings in some fresh air of entertainment in the RPG-Scene, totally recommend it!

8.5/10
  69. Jan 15, 2020
    One of those games that can change your life . The repetition of talking to your "inner selves" takes place in real life after a while. The work that has been done in the dialogue trees is excellent. Adventure - rpg in its finest and in its darkest . The graphics suck tho.. but who cares !
  70. Nov 16, 2020
    Disco Elysium is...something else. Clearly a love letter for all old-school RPG and adventure games fans. Doesn't hold back, doesn't take any crap: this is storytelling at its finest. Thanks for this amazing experience. That is all.
  71. Oct 15, 2019
    This game has the best written dialogue since Planescape Torment. It's a crazy, unique, philosophical, hilariously funny isometric narrative RPG unlike anything you've seen since PsT came out. A strong game of the year candidate and a definite sleeper hit.
  72. Oct 17, 2019
    Bizzare, lots to read (yes you have to read, the horror!), multiple choices affect just the tiniest game play, you can be racist cop, compassionate cop, dirty cop, horny cop, empathy cop, crazy John Mclain cop. I just died an hour in because I wanted to punch a kid and I missed, then died of a heart attack. I told a pretty blond I wanted to have sex with her and just kept banging on herBizzare, lots to read (yes you have to read, the horror!), multiple choices affect just the tiniest game play, you can be racist cop, compassionate cop, dirty cop, horny cop, empathy cop, crazy John Mclain cop. I just died an hour in because I wanted to punch a kid and I missed, then died of a heart attack. I told a pretty blond I wanted to have sex with her and just kept banging on her door to freak her out. It's an amazing world. Expand
  73. Oct 16, 2019
    Long time im waiting this game, and is really really amazing and genious. Probably my game of the year.
  74. Oct 21, 2019
    If you do not like reading or if you are looking for the usual RPG (whatever combat system, a conventional skill tree, etc.), do NOT bother playing this one.
    Those who miss the good writing and an original story should definitely buy this one.
    I sincerely hope that Disco Elysium is a commercial success, and that it will define the new standard of future RPGs. Also, in my view, being an
    Also, in my view, being an 'adult' is a prerequisite to really enjoying playing that big drunk loser (i.e. the main character).
    9/10 to encourage big studios to follow the same path.
  75. Nov 7, 2019
    One of the most unique RPG's I have ever played. It is very text heavy, but the writing is superb. One of the coolest aspects of the game in my opinion is the dialog that takes place inside your own characters head and how your skills and choices impact that dialog. You really feel like you are playing out a fleshed out character and impacting their development. This isn't a traditionalOne of the most unique RPG's I have ever played. It is very text heavy, but the writing is superb. One of the coolest aspects of the game in my opinion is the dialog that takes place inside your own characters head and how your skills and choices impact that dialog. You really feel like you are playing out a fleshed out character and impacting their development. This isn't a traditional RPG with combat and what not, so don't expect that. However, if you are into mystery/detective games, and old school tabletop/text based RPG's then give this a whirl. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  76. Dec 30, 2019
    This is one of the rarest and best examples of how to create an RPG.The characters and the dynamic that they have with the world is incredibly well done and every little thing is connected to everything else in a grand scale.The relationships between Harry and Kim is one of the most polished things i have seen in a game in my entire life.The world is masterfully build to every littleThis is one of the rarest and best examples of how to create an RPG.The characters and the dynamic that they have with the world is incredibly well done and every little thing is connected to everything else in a grand scale.The relationships between Harry and Kim is one of the most polished things i have seen in a game in my entire life.The world is masterfully build to every little detail and its amazing how even your smallest choices change it.The story is incredibly well done even though some people really dislike the sudden ending making them feel a little empty and unsatisfied with it.I can understand that but there are a tons of theories on the internet of what exactly is happening to the world and the character that you play as.I have my own theory and the ending for me really connects with my theory making me feel very satisfied with it.The game play is mostly walking and talking with people but it was done so good that i was entertained every single time even if i was talking about trivial and useless things with the characters or was interacting with the world.There are a lot of funny parts and parts that fill you up with melancholy making the game feel like an amazing theatrical performance leaving you with sadness but also hope for the future.I love the customization that you can have on your character and all the different ways you can build him to interact with the world.The soundtrack is also amazing and i would always remember the Smallest Church in Saint-Saens.The only issue i sometimes faced was the item inventory UI which had some bugs and it made it hard to read some of the item descriptions.And sometimes the thoughts not giving the effect they were supposed to give.This is a great example of a game with an amazing story and characters and it should be used to teach other developers how to make good RPG mechanics and how to input them.Definitely one of the BEST GAMES OF THIS CENTURY.No wonder it got 4 award's Expand
  77. Nov 10, 2019
    The best rpg of the decade. Thanks for making it and giving us hope. 10/10.
  78. Oct 30, 2019
    An absolutely fantastic RPG, fantastically written and with great characters and voice acting. The art style and graphics fit the game perfectly and I can't think of a better look for the game. I'm far from done with it but I still feel no problems recommending it to others.
  79. Nov 11, 2019
    Masterpiece! And one of the best RPG-games for the last 10 years.
    Yes, you can't perform a role play for chaotic-neutral dwarf, who was raised in the elf-circus in an ancient forest. But still, there are plenty of ways to entertain yourself as a police detective with heavy hangover.
  80. Oct 30, 2019
    There are some people who throw the term "pretentious" around when describing Disco Elysium. To do so is just sort of a bizarre self reflection - it's a role playing game based around a detective having lost his memory but needs to solve a murder. You don't have to play up the delusions or chemical abuse, but you can, and you choosing to do so represents your characters outlook and howThere are some people who throw the term "pretentious" around when describing Disco Elysium. To do so is just sort of a bizarre self reflection - it's a role playing game based around a detective having lost his memory but needs to solve a murder. You don't have to play up the delusions or chemical abuse, but you can, and you choosing to do so represents your characters outlook and how people respond to you in the game. The game is creative about how you set your stats as well as its thought tree which gives boosts and special dialogue, and your interactions and experience is determined by the players own want to embrace the "role playing". You can choose to be a despicable person who fails at every roll you do, mainly cause you didn't put much thought into your stats or the outcome, but that doesn't make the game pretentious - it just goes to show you shouldn't presume that the game is supposed to do what you want it to, and that if players can't learn to live with your consequences, it kind of reflects on you as a person. Expand
  81. Nov 8, 2019
    Best rpg ever. First game since planescape torment that made such an impression on me
  82. Nov 11, 2019
    Did you ever dream of being a hobo and a cop? Or to feel how it is to suffer from psychological disorders that can be used as skills? What would happen to you if the love of your life abandoned you at the vulnerable age of forty? Learn how your words and actions lead to consequences for both you and the people around you. This game will make you a better person. Bona-fide art.
  83. Oct 19, 2019
    Phenomenal game. Very deep. You’ll see references to Planescape Torment and they are valid. But it’s so much more than that.
  84. Oct 16, 2019
    Amazing atmosphere, brilliant writing, refreshing and intellegent skill system. Masterpiece.
  85. Oct 19, 2019
    Absolutely out of left field, never heard of this game til it released and WOW! What a pleasant surprise. The writing is phenomenal, the story telling is astounding and the atmosphere is just oh so perfect. I couldn't recommend this game enough for RPG fans that crave a good uncanny valley Nior mystery story. By far my GOTY. Anyone who is on the fence due to the amount of dialogue. I wasAbsolutely out of left field, never heard of this game til it released and WOW! What a pleasant surprise. The writing is phenomenal, the story telling is astounding and the atmosphere is just oh so perfect. I couldn't recommend this game enough for RPG fans that crave a good uncanny valley Nior mystery story. By far my GOTY. Anyone who is on the fence due to the amount of dialogue. I was as well, until i realized how much the writing sucks you in, making you crave more and more.. not allowing you to put the game down. Expand
  86. Oct 15, 2019
    It's a true masterpiece!!
    Compelling story line, beautiful art style and also lot of reading.
  87. Nov 13, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game got me hooked right at the start - we get a typical Torment-like opening only to discover it's just the biggest of hangovers ever. The game reminds me of Torment:Tides of Numenera in many ways. It's hugely reliant on skill checks, the story is also gloomy and there is this deppresing vibe around it.
    The gameplay is wonderful - no meaningless fights, just exploration, and detective work. Mechanics are harmonizing with the storyline. It's a throwback to point'n'click detective games, but employs a lot of RPG spice to it - which blends together so well.
    It only makes it more amazing when you realize, it's the debut of ZA/UM, good luck with the future games, either it's a sequel or a totally new IP.
  88. Oct 25, 2019
    Perfect RPG in every way, very close to a paper game. A masterpiece. Buy it, play it and enjoy!
  89. Dec 2, 2019
    Best game I’ve experienced in recent history. It’ goes without saying that this is a must buy—especially anyone who is, or has been, looking back on their lives with a sense of dread or regret. This game Is not afraid to tackle the big and sometimes uncomfortable questions and situation that we sometimes have to fact I Miya lives, whether that be addiction, racism, ultra-capitalism, orBest game I’ve experienced in recent history. It’ goes without saying that this is a must buy—especially anyone who is, or has been, looking back on their lives with a sense of dread or regret. This game Is not afraid to tackle the big and sometimes uncomfortable questions and situation that we sometimes have to fact I Miya lives, whether that be addiction, racism, ultra-capitalism, or just good ol’ existential dread.

Having a soul crushing task ahead of you as you open your eyes for true first time might sound daunting at first but the ingenious conversation system and written style keeps the ship from ever taking in so much water that your proverbial ship risks capsizing. Keep at in and by the end of the game you should be able to have a safe port to pull into and maybe, just maybe be less of yourself going forward. However, the choice will, naturally, always be yours seeing as this is a role playing game in its truest form.

Disco Elysian is my GOTY and if you pick it up, I’m sure it’ll be yours too.
  90. Oct 27, 2019
    It made me excited for video games again.
    Absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word.
  91. Oct 15, 2019
    Back to the old cool way of playing games, lovely artwork, sound acting and writing, really enjoying this one. Runs nice on my low end pc!
  92. Nov 7, 2019
    Truthfully I'd rate this game a 7 or 8, but the amount of people rating it a 0 with the justification that this text-based, role playing game has too much text means I have to do my part to signal boost something that's actually different in a world where those same people constantly complain about things being the same.
  93. Apr 10, 2020
    Extremely, obscenely deep with dialogue and branching resolutions to conversations, quests and so on. It's especially notable as a game that doesn't exactly hold your hand, and it is in fact possible to die in literally the first five minutes of the game based on your decisions. I was also extremely impressed by their "thought" system - your character has an internal monologue that youExtremely, obscenely deep with dialogue and branching resolutions to conversations, quests and so on. It's especially notable as a game that doesn't exactly hold your hand, and it is in fact possible to die in literally the first five minutes of the game based on your decisions. I was also extremely impressed by their "thought" system - your character has an internal monologue that you refer to when learning new facts or clues, and you actually "converse" with yourself in order to take this new idea you've just learned and refine it into something you can understand. It's difficult to explain but I thought it was a genuinely and truly brilliant way to game-ify the thought process you and I use when we're confronted with a new concept and need to turn it over in our heads to get a grasp on it. Finally, I am impressed with the system they have for thought concepts - you essentially have a limited supply of "research" slots in your mind, and you "slot" ideas in there to devote time and brainpower to solving them, to come up with new ideas, clues or stat bonuses. On the whole I was just incredibly impressed with the amount of depth they added to a system that is basically just there to simulate our mental problem-solving process.

The game isn't perfect though. This sounds like hyperbole but there's a tremendous amount of borderline (or even full-blown) socialist propaganda in the game. Whether it's your amnesiac character "trying" to understand such a "ridiculous" concept as trading money for services, or a teamster driver talking about how we should all like seize the means of production, man, it's just cringey, hard to read, and doesn't fit the rest of the setting very well. And the art style vacillates between "not bad" and "someone vomited on your screen" - some scenes are just impossible to pick out what the hell is going on. It's not a dealbreaker - this is a game about reading, thinking and solving problems, so weak graphics aren't a huge deal - but it's still genuinely jarring. At least they tried something new.

Overall I wouldn't buy it at full price but I would buy it.
  94. Mar 15, 2020
    Truth is: you never knew what Disco is. «Disco Elysium»: why really the best game of 2019 is so disco (spoiler free)

Disco Elysium is a unique detective RolePlayingGame experience on genres edge between ComputerRPG and adventure game (mostly known in Russia as quest), revealing itself practically as social RPG, because whole game run in open world map and dialog tab. In the

In the industrial city named Revachol strike blows, then murder occurs and moreover here comes you – professional and broken detective to decide Revachols fate. But first, you need some devastating realty lay-down, therefore you are amnesiac – and why are you may turn out one even bigger case to solve.

Disco Elysium would mostly appeal to those who can appreciate narrative passages and immersive reflection in videogames. That to say it is a Game of the Year for script and writing due to The Game Awards 2019 (actually leading in it also by number of awards in total with four) and many others. And it has completely no fighting system whatsoever, just very few in-fight dice-roll checks as to any other reliable action in the game. You heard it, Disco Elysium brings dice-rolls from broad games to the game once again.

What so good about the game can be shown in it’s just first hour. It’s really innovative for player to feel, like as if you are experiencing this deep down drown of human being yourself. Characters of Disco can make you feel uncomfortable, pity and weak or smashing and hustling, but mostly just pity and weak.
    Within first hour you will be presented to all of its unprecedented features. Mechanically first of all it’s the Thought Cabinet where you along your amnesiac hero can learn the world, reality and yourself in it. Thought Cabinet lets you pick which of the thoughts generated by game encounters you will proceed with (yeah, I know, just like in real life!). It’s you formulate the thoughts by your actions precisely, then the thoughts you pick to internalize will formulate you (just like in real life, yeah?!).

But most importantly it is the immersive psychologism in it. Oh boy it does psychologism on you. Frankly putting you in constant fight with your psyche (yeah, I know…). Where most of the game is you speaking to your more or less prescribed appearances (skills) in head – like logic, empathy, perception, endurance or less conventional conceptualization, drama and some esprit de corps (which is nevertheless really just cop discourse and level of your professional deformation). There was one, okay maybe a few more, times in game where I felt like I’m some beta-omega **** myself in real life because of the level of writing in its games NCP’s and how their rhetoric was slaughtering me at the moment.

Disco Elysium is this unique game that delivers the joy of crushing learning like in childhood. Then continues it with your teen existential crisis. And finishes with more of it. So not to say to your good. Cas once the learning is over game suggests you will be haunted with the case. But the case turns out to be substantially aesthetic mystery…
    Never to say it is bad, but finishing it was hard enough via games native speaking English (though its Estonian developer) – so to say it is very good to strengthen your English – but also case progresses like there is no you involved, so as far as you good with proceeding at handling world and your psyche, case feels just not as much sensually important, always to far from you till games very end.

Nevertheless increment ends, the game is abnormal at its core features that makes you feel just so involved with character, which gives Disco Elysium status of one of the best role playing game there is to be. Highly recommend for big, smart and sensual narrative.
  95. Mar 29, 2020
    tl;dr- You are a burnt-out, alcoholic, and amnesiac cop sent to solve a hanging case. There to help you are your innermost thoughts that constantly yell over each other to tell you what to do, uncooperative townspeople that don't acknowledge your authority, and another cop from a rival district that holds the title of world's most patient man.

Disco Elysium strikes an incredibly fine

Disco Elysium strikes an incredibly fine balance between "video game" and "visual novel." I won't pretend this is a game for everyone- it's extremely wordy, lacks traditional combat encounters, and is closer to a point-and-click adventure than it is to most modern RPGs. It is however brilliantly written, refreshingly original, and beautifully portrayed.

Like traditional RPGs, you level up, and can allocate points into your skills. Unlike traditional RPGs, these 24 skills range from simply "Endurance", which determines your physical health, to the less conventional "Espirit de Core", which determines how well you understand cop culture. Also, they talk to you- each skill occupies occupies the mind of the main character and are constantly telling you what to do, to the point where you'll probably be hearing from them more than anyone else. They all have possess different personalities and goals; Encyclopedia is a know-it-all and at high levels encourages you to share your favorite bar trivia with the world whether they want it or not, while conversely your Pain Threshold is a glutton for punishment that only becomes more masochistic as you level it up, telling you to hurt yourself just to see how it feels. What type of cop, and more important, what type of person you are depends on which skills you choose to indulge.

While the game has a health system, and you can game over, there isn't combat as you'd expect from an RPG. The game is similar to a point-and-click adventure in that while some things will hurt you, there aren't random encounters or boss fights. You have two healthbars, Wellness and Morale, that can be damaged in dialogue by failing certain checks. Fall trying to climb some debris? Unless your Pain Threshold is mighty, that's gonna smart. Lose an argument to a child? Oof, that's not great for your self-esteem.

The game also doesn't slack in the graphical or audio department. Character and skill portraits are vibrant expressionist paintings. The scenery is all hand-drawn from an isometric viewpoint. The UI is cleverly designed as to not obscure the scene while simultaneously giving you reams of dialogue. The music is varied and perfectly accentuates the intended tone, from the Whirling-in-Rags catchy, upbeat muzak to the brooding, depressing tunes backing the main character's nightmares.

Disco Elysium is a once-in-a-lifetime, genre defining game, comparable to Papers Please or Hypnospace Outlaw. There hasn't been a game like this before, ever, and anything going forward from this is going to use it as the standard. At $40, some are going to be put off by its rather steep price for an indie game, but I implore you to try it if you're interested- if the game doesn't hook you in the first two hours, you can safely return it, but if it does, you're not going to regret it.
  96. Apr 7, 2020
    It is a best RPG game since PT and Fallout 2. More in genre of interactive book with no action.
    But it is an absolute masterpiece and GOTY.
  97. Apr 11, 2020
    There is enought excellent sentences written in Disco Elysium script, no need to add anything to it. Stop reading this review and go play this gem!
  98. May 7, 2020
    a masterpiece. best gaming experience this year so far.
    the very ending... may be 8/10 there, expected a bit more... a new revolution would be good, but even so - overall is 10/10.
    a masterpiece. best gaming experience this year so far.
    and you know what - even if all the rest was just **** (which obviously is not) - the dance in the church (as it happened, holding a crow bar in hand - my favorite item to hold in hand i guess) - was simply **** awesome. didn`t have such a good wave for a while this fake quarantine **** around.
  99. Feb 1, 2020
    It's a masterpiece. With beautiful art style, great writing, amazing soundtrack and memorable characters, Disco Elysium is my GOTY 2019
  100. Dec 4, 2019
    An RPG I never knew I needed, definitely a new standard for the genre, a must play for rpg fans out there

Universal acclaim - based on 64 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 10, 2020
    A murder mystery set in a rich, fictional setting, Disco Elysium is told with sweeping profundity and hilarious absurdity. With no combat to impede story progression, this is a choice-driven role-playing adventure that deftly raises the bar of quality for the medium.
  2. Mar 28, 2020
    Disco Elysium is a very special RPG that most of your time will be spent on reading. It features a well-written detective story, various tricky skill trees, and memorable characters. This game might be the best one of its kind. But if you can't stand reading for a long time, just don't try it.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Unconventionally conceived adventure game with excellent visuals and world worked out to the smallest detail. But it will satisfy only those of you who are not afraid of the huge amount of English dialogue, because it makes up the vast majority of gameplay. [Issue#299]