- Summary: Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.
May 23, 2014Distant Worlds has ruined me for other space-based 4X-strategy games, which is a genre I love more than any other. I try to go back to GalCivDistant Worlds has ruined me for other space-based 4X-strategy games, which is a genre I love more than any other. I try to go back to GalCiv and MoO once in a while, but nothing matches the scale and minute level of control that Distant Worlds offers. I'll be playing this for years to come.… Expand
Jun 1, 2014Truly one of the best games out there. Warning: playing this will make you lose sleep and ruin relationships. Build your empire and prepareTruly one of the best games out there. Warning: playing this will make you lose sleep and ruin relationships. Build your empire and prepare for the unknown, which is not kind.… Expand
May 26, 2014If You are a fan of MoO, Endless Space, Space Empires or any other great 4X sci-fi You should definitely buy Distant Worlds: Universe. ThisIf You are a fan of MoO, Endless Space, Space Empires or any other great 4X sci-fi You should definitely buy Distant Worlds: Universe. This game is a true gem in this genre and with the modding capabilities added in the last expansion You can play this game in Mass Effect, Star Trek or other themes. Definitely the best 4X sci-fi game ever created.
Totally must have for any 4X sci-fi fan!… Expand
Sep 17, 2015Nice tutorial. Nice gameplay. Got destroyed by hamster aliens. 9/10 would be killed by race of sentient pets again.
The only bad part aboutNice tutorial. Nice gameplay. Got destroyed by hamster aliens. 9/10 would be killed by race of sentient pets again.
The only bad part about the game is it's price.… Expand
Jun 20, 2014A couple of years ago I found this game by pure chance. After many years of playing almost every Space 4X I was desperate to find somethingA couple of years ago I found this game by pure chance. After many years of playing almost every Space 4X I was desperate to find something better and luckily I found it ... Distant Worlds is best in class and it's since become my most played game. It's a huge relief to see it on Steam because it's ready for Prime Time.
A couple of key things to keep in mind before you purchase:
1. This is a massive game and it will take some patience to get over the initial learning curve. You can choose what to automate and what to control, so start with manual control in one or two of your favourite areas only (e.g. for me it was research and fleets) and build from there.
2. Once over the learning curve hump, if you like this type of game, you'll probably be hooked. In time you will find more layers of the onion to peel away. My game strategies were still evolving 100's of hours later.
3. It's a real time game but you can pause to make it feel somewhat like a turn based game and to help keep your massive empires under control. As a result don't be put off by real time if you prefer turn based games.
4. The graphics are average. If this is your primary driver this probably isn't your game. But if you want plenty of massive battles you'll get them.
5. There is a massive array of setup options and as a result the game has significant longevity.
6. The Universe release has greatly expanded mod capability. I don't play with many mods but Distant Worlds has some good ones.
7. The Developer has a long track record of providing support and patches. This game will continue to improve ...
If this sounds like your type of game then I recommend it highly.… Expand
Aug 11, 2014I've used Metacritic a lot, but this is the first game that urged me to sign up and write a review. I've also played many sci-fi 4X games, andI've used Metacritic a lot, but this is the first game that urged me to sign up and write a review. I've also played many sci-fi 4X games, and this has to be one of the best. It's not new and it looks a little dogeared compared to other titles (although I love the native Windows UI; you can even print out pages of the in-game manual, just like that!) and it's not as complex as Aurora (though, if you know what that is, you'll know why it doesn't count), but it's richly detailed AND features the optional (and pretty comprehensive) automation to not get overwhelmed by that if you're not into constant clerical work and micromanagement!
This game misses a lot that I've seen in other games of the genre (the ability to create your own species, a more expansive research tree, better unit selection, like with the Control key), but it has so many great features that I HAVE seen in other games and thought, "Why doesn't THIS game have that too?!" and many more I haven't, from huge scale to attention to fuel mechanics, weapon firing arcs and projectiles that can miss, ship handling, and detailed and moving bodies around stars, that I dare call it a modern crowning achievement in sci-fi 4X. How it's this good and I've NEVER heard about it until it hit Steam, I have no idea, but it hurt.
If, like me, you love these kinds of games and have been disappointed with new and sexy yet relatively shallow titles like Endless Space or neat but rather limited ones like Star Ruler (not that it's apples to apples with either of those), this is a surprisingly refreshing discovery [and you should get it (now)].… Expand
Dec 17, 2014I was a new player for Distant Worlds and i gave up after watching more than 6 hours of crappy tutorials & gameplay.
I didn't even managed toI was a new player for Distant Worlds and i gave up after watching more than 6 hours of crappy tutorials & gameplay.
I didn't even managed to folow 1 of those from the start, because the development progresses differently during gameplay.
The game is over documented like a 30 yo text base game, and doesn't show new players what it's all about. To me it seems like some programmer is trying to create a game that cannnot be understand by normal people who love space games, he's just trying to annoy us ! Well, SCREW THIS WANNABEE SPACE GAME, it has lost me ( and i'm sure a lot more people )… Expand