6.7

1. Dec 29, 2014
    I expected a wonderful game but I am severely disappointed. The world is vast indeed, but the 400 billion star systems are very similar and there's little entertainment to be had.
    You can forge your own path - be a trader, pirate, bounty hunter... well, you sort of do a little of almost everything anyway and what they advertised about creating your own story is a joke, there is NO story whatsoever, at least not yet.
    What's really annoying besides the "400 billion" glitches that the game has is the bounty system which is very poorly conceived. You can get attacked by an NPC and if you retaliate you get a bounty on your head for no reason, unless your attacker is marked as "wanted", and this makes life of a bounty hunter very difficult.
    Excellent graphics but in spite of my PC specs being far above Elite's recommended system requirements, the game runs far from smoothly so the game's code optimization upon release promise was not kept. God knows what sort of rig one needs for this game...
    If you haven't bought this game yet I don't recommend it, not until serious changes and fixes have been made.
  2. Apr 3, 2015
    Firstly, if you are thinking of buying this game, do the research. It is NOT and arcade shooter or a casual game. It is MASSIVE! I mean bigger than anything I have ever played. I've read some reviews that are negative, and to be fair, the majority of the negative reviews are written by morons who had no idea what they were buying.

Graphically: It is beautiful. Depth: I'm still

Graphically: It is beautiful.

Depth: I'm still sinking and I am 6 months in. You can role as combat, trader or explorer and that is only down to ship loadout and option, not a class selection. Freeform is the word of the day.

Playability: Expect a steep learning curve and remember that the forums are your friend. I use a HOTAS, keyboard and mouse. To be fair, I'm currently saving for a Wookie co-pilot.

My only negative is that because the play space is so vast you may forget it is an MMO at times. Exploring is a lonely business, but combat if gritty and intense. Don't expect to dock at a station with a nice cutscene sequence, you land that ship yourself, controlling all aspects of your ship position.

Anyone with less that a few weeks in game experience writing reviews is simply not qualified, and so their opinion should be immediately discounted.
  3. Apr 2, 2015
    There's currently a campaign going on against Elite due to the developer announcing that they are not shipping with an offline mode (They might do one lateron, but they said they can't make promises).
    If you see reviews giving 0/10 then you know you've found one of the disgruntled offline players. Did Frontier handle that whole thing well? No. However those are not reviews anymore, just revenge attacks.

Yes it's online only at the moment. Don't buy if you live on an oil rig with no internet connection. It's annoying that the developers basically keep all the stellar data on their servers and you need to have internet connection for the game to know what stellar bodies to generate, but that doesn't make Elite a 0/10 game. Not by a long shot.

Elite Dangerous is an amazingly beautiful, if troubled game. The feeling of space flight has been nailed in a way that competitors will struggle to match for some time. Space really does feel big, you're not restricted to a cubical "mission area", Space is also pretty empty, but when you do get close to planets, gas giants, stars or even black holes, Elite turns into the most beautiful space game to date. There are entire websites dedicated to collecting the best screenshots from the game, and for good reason. And then you stare into space and wait for your frameshift drive to take you to a station that's quite some distance away, doing nothing. Well, almost, for there's pirates pulling you out of frameshift. But there can be stretches of boredom.

Sound design is simply 10/10, hands down. The entire idea of your ship "generating" sounds for your situational awareness instantly solves any of the "sounds in space" issues, and the first time someone shatters your cockpit glass you'll hold your breath instinctively.

The overall stability is good. There's a constant stream of patches with both bugfixes and major new features. Multiplayer is a bit hit and miss, with the peer-to-peer networking sometimes causing problems. These days it works most of the time, but it's still spotty at times.

The controls are perfect. The ships are huge and have significant mass, and the game feels like it. You're not turning on a dime in Elite, since even the smaller ships are the size of a small house, and the bigger ones get up to half a kilometer long. And that without even counting the non-controllable capital ships that are several kilometers long and announce themselves with one of the most amazing warp-in effects you've ever seen in a game.

Oh and you don't need a joystick for this game, many people including myself are happily playing with keyboard and mouse.

Why is this only 8/10? Because once you've mastered the various activities, you realize that a lot of the long-term motivation is still missing. We've had a big update recently that does help and turns Elite into a great Coop experience, but it clearly needs more actual content, more activities to do.

Luckily Frontier is working on new feature updates and there's even (paid) expansions adding a first person mode as well as multicrewing and flying and landing on planets coming up.

As it is, Elite is not a 10/10 game. That said, it could end up being a 10/10 in the future, and it is wholly recommended in it's current form. It will definitely entertain you longer than any CoD game. Elite is a deeply atmospheric game with slightly spotty networking but extremely polished combat and controls. You will have a lot of "wow" moments, and the next feature update isn't too far away.
  4. Dec 22, 2014
    I am having a delightful time roaming the galaxy. There aren't many games that give me that feeling of awe from celestial bodies and the immensity of space. I'm eagerly awaiting planetary landings, so I can check out the sunsets on different moons and planets. The sound design is excellent. I guess people complaining about "grinding" or "exhausting all possibilities" just don't have thatI am having a delightful time roaming the galaxy. There aren't many games that give me that feeling of awe from celestial bodies and the immensity of space. I'm eagerly awaiting planetary landings, so I can check out the sunsets on different moons and planets. The sound design is excellent. I guess people complaining about "grinding" or "exhausting all possibilities" just don't have that spark of curiosity about our universe. Expand
  5. Dec 21, 2014
    Hadn't read that much beforehand and played just the release version, so, coming from not having that high expectations and having liked the original - I quite fancy this game.

Have seen some small bugs, but nothing game spoiling. Sure, it is shallow exactly on a level with the previous Elites ,and the multi-player aspects are lacking. But as I expected Elite, it is exactly that and does it brilliantly. I just love the atmosphere, sounds, fighting and mainly, the immersion. Only thing I'm concerned is the current difficulty-level: once you know how to fly well, the npcs are way too easy. I hope there will be harder challenges in the updates.
    At the core, gameplay-wise, it feels like a Euro Truck -simulator in the emptiness of the deep space, spiced with optional combat. If that sounds like your thing, it is really good. But right now, if you're looking for deep story, complicated multi-player experience or anything else than straightforward space-flight-simulation - better wait for the updates and expansions.
  6. Mar 24, 2015
    (TL;DR: TRY COMBAT INSTEAD OF BORING THINGS)

(TL;DR: TRY COMBAT INSTEAD OF BORING THINGS)

I've played Elite: Dangerous for a few hours now, and the graphics look amazing, the sound is great but the gameplay is semi-repetitive which I can understand, as I've just only started playing. I hope the gameplay will change up a bit after a few more hours. For now, it's been something like this. Step one, get to a station. Step two, get a delivery mission. Step three, deliver the data and get like 700 credits (which, for those of you who don't know, doesn't get you **** Step four, repeat the process. Tried combat. Immediately killed a high value target, got quite a bit of money. Play dangerously in Dangerous, and you'll do **** amazing.
  7. Mar 28, 2015
    I have been having the best time of my life with my friends in the Lugh system. Testing on background simulation goes well and the recent Community Goals have made the conflict explode PVP wise (in a good way!): Blockades, combat zones, interdiction wars... all in Wings. Awesome fun.
  8. Mar 23, 2015
    I'll confess at the beginning - I was a fan of the original 1984 Elite, so I may be biased. My first impulse was to give it a 9 or 10, but that would be silly, as I agree with some of the negative comments here; l love the game in spite of its obvious faults. I give up on games very easily (because life is too short to play tedious games) but I've been playing Elite: Dangerous since theI'll confess at the beginning - I was a fan of the original 1984 Elite, so I may be biased. My first impulse was to give it a 9 or 10, but that would be silly, as I agree with some of the negative comments here; l love the game in spite of its obvious faults. I give up on games very easily (because life is too short to play tedious games) but I've been playing Elite: Dangerous since the day it came out and am still trying to squeeze time out of my busy schedule to play it, so it must have some magic.

Pros:

+ Beautiful graphics and sound.

+ Flight - you have pitch, roll, yaw and four directions of thrust, and a choice between the default flight assist mode where the ship does more-or-less what you'd expect, and "flight assist off" where it behaves in the crazy way objects in space actually behave.

+ Combat - a variety of weapons, ships and tactics, and everything from one-on-one encounters to massive PvP+PvE battles that go on for weeks.

+ The galaxy as your sandbox.

Cons

- Although its better than the release version, it needs to develop multiplayer a lot more, though the latest version does have "wings" (i.e., combat teams). Teams and events tend to be organised via the forums or social media; this should be integrated into the game.

- While player actions do affect the universe, the devs need to tweak this to work much better. Of course the actions of one player can't have a major effect on the fate of empires, or even most star systems, but there need to be certain tipping points where a system could go either way depending on what players do. One thing people like about games is the idea that their character is going to make a difference.

- The universe is kind of homogeneous. Types of government need to have more effect on how business is done, starports need to look more different from each other, there should be rare local commodities, weird religions you can get on the wrong side of - in short, different cultures.

- Missions are generally obtain/transport/destroy one-offs, with tiny incremental effects on your reputation. They need to feed into each other more.

Procons (i.e., things some people will hate and others may not be bothered by or even like)

* There's no back-story for characters or an overarching story line. You start as a blank slate, and if you're not careful, you'll continue as one.

* Space is big. That's an advantage in many ways, but it does mean you won't run into many other players outside a few popular (and hence dangerous) locations. Sometimes nothing much happens - you can spend a long time just travelling from one place to another. It used to annoy me, and it's a deal-breaker for some people, but now I kind of enjoy the change of pace.

* There are few limits on PvP. If some guy with an Anaconda (the biggest ship) feels like blowing your little Sidewinder out of the sky, there's nothing to stop them except the prospect of their bounty increasing, which tends not to deter pirates who have Anacondas. Even NPC fights can be absurdly one-sided (hint: don't investigate anything that says "Strong signal source"). On the plus side, you get more of a sense of danger from the game, which leads us to ...

* Real penalties for dying. Your ship is insured, but you'll lose a lot of money, all your cargo and even cartographic information (but not any bounties on your head, unfortunately). Some people hate this; I find it adds to the excitement. Fight or flight is a serious choice.

* It's difficult. You'll spend a long time just learning how to fly your ship, and it'll be a while before you can enter a combat zone and survive more than a few seconds. Personally I like that it's difficult, but I agree with criticisms of the learning curve. The game needs proper tutorials that talk you through things, not a few basic solo missions and links to YouTube videos.
  9. Mar 28, 2015
    So, this is either your game liking or it isn't.

If it is, then this is the bstest space sim you can possibly play on a PC.

I've basically stop playing everything else. I'm probably over 50 hours now and still just feel like I'm not even getting started, and every flight is an adventure
  10. Dec 26, 2014
    The game needs work and in my opinion was released too early, as there are a few pretty bad bugs right now. It's also lacking content and is in dire need of more ...everything. Having said that, what is there is excellent.

It's difficult for me to explain why i like this game so much, i think it's because it makes me believe i'm really there. let me describe to you just one of many moments i've had since playing. iIm in a hauler, the Elite Dangerous equivalent of a transit van, and the engines whine and moan with every adjustment to my speed or direction, the cabin shakes as i boost forward, i set course for a ringed, gas-giant, i fly down toward the rings and they become asteroids, i zip between them and i'm like a speck of dust. I kill my engines and sit there, so many stars out there, i could go and explore any of them, the giant planet looms in front of me, everything is dead silence, i actually feel fear at being so alone, but i also feel wonder at the sheer size of space.

Ok so that's just me, but if that doesn't impress you then the fighting is awesome and the missions are horribly addictive, i just find myself sinking hour after hour into this game. ED is really cool now, albeit missing a load of stuff that we all want for it, if it gets those things in the coming few months i will upgrade my mark to a ten, because it's got more potential than a young Mike Tyson. A solid and well deserved 8 from me, a unique and beautiful experience.
  11. Mar 28, 2015
    The way the galaxy has been modelled with procedural generation to a dot with actual data is amazing. Travelling through it is a dream come true. After seeing so many Youtube videos of Elite explorers I had to try it out and it has not disappointed. Black hole light distorsions, nebulae, oyu name it... Being able to chase and combat wanted PC or NPC to know stars has no price.
  12. Dec 21, 2014
    Gameplay is robust, sounds are absolutely amazing. It feels a little bit empty right now (well, hey it's space) due to not having any social tools/gameplay, also because there aren't really a variety in models in the game for ships and stations but it's good enough a start for me. None the less It's still a solid release. If they can improve social aspects in a short span of time it willGameplay is robust, sounds are absolutely amazing. It feels a little bit empty right now (well, hey it's space) due to not having any social tools/gameplay, also because there aren't really a variety in models in the game for ships and stations but it's good enough a start for me. None the less It's still a solid release. If they can improve social aspects in a short span of time it will be a great game to play for a long time with its coming features they promise. Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2014

Great visual and sound design, a lot of freedom to do as you please.

Steep learning curve, mission descriptions could use some more details.
  14. Dec 21, 2014
    A true space sim sandbox, Elite is. If you are in to be a hero, dont come. But if you feel ok with making your own way to the best space ship and gear that goes with it all the way having a blast with your friends or in solo then come along!
  15. Dec 16, 2014
    Not a game that panders to people that want to have their hand held for story-lines. you have a galaxy, a ship and 100 credits, and now it is up to you.

With the choice of trading, piracy, bounty hunting, mining, exploring, general or faction missions to take to improve your reputation with factions thus allowing certain other restricted ships to become available, you really make your own storyline.

This is not however to everyone's taste and if you prefer a standard "go here, do this, then go there and kill that" style of play, you may find this is not the game for you.

As it stands Elite:Dangerous is a game you can lose days with, and it only looks to get better with future expansions that are planned.
  16. Mar 24, 2015
    Rewarding to play as long as you know that you are going to have to invest time in learning how the Elite universe works and that you are prepared to live with the consequences of E:D's risk mechanics.
    i.e. never fly a ship you cannot afford to lose !
    HOTAS gear is not essential, I have played with mouse / keyboard since launch date - just bought a HOTAS set now for a change. The people
    i.e. never fly a ship you cannot afford to lose !
    The people giving this game a score of 0, after playing for weeks and then getting bored, are being rather mean-spirited I think - any game that you have played for weeks and enjoyed has been a good game I believe. Every game gets "old" after a while so it seems unfair to give E:D such a low score. I have played a lot of other great games for far fewer hours than I have spent in E:D and still considered it a good investment of my leisure time. Perhaps it is because E:D has no set "end" that people stop playing when they have got bored and some have only negative impressions at that point and have forgotten all the fun they had ? Whereas with other games once you have reached the "end" you can have a more positive closure experience.
  17. Dec 16, 2014
    In short a solid foundation is in place for a great space game so if your into flying pixel spaceships this is one to watch.

It has an innovative approach to PVE and PVP with the same character able to choose which mode they want to play in for that session but all actions impact the same sandbox. It also does not need a subscription so you can dip in and out playing at your own pace in your own way.

It is a sandbox game so don't expect a character story, cut scenes or linear missions. You need to use the missions and wider narrative provided by the game studio to craft a story or join in with the community who are already creating their own "Freeing Lugh" being an example.
  18. Dec 22, 2014
    As a person who haven't played any of the betas, don't know what they promised on kickstarter and bought the game on release date without knowing much about it I'm really enjoying it. So far I've put about 30 hours into it and I'm not bored by any stretch of the imagination. Granted the game does look a little barren and some features are flat out missing like any form of playerAs a person who haven't played any of the betas, don't know what they promised on kickstarter and bought the game on release date without knowing much about it I'm really enjoying it. So far I've put about 30 hours into it and I'm not bored by any stretch of the imagination. Granted the game does look a little barren and some features are flat out missing like any form of player interactions (except maybe crashing at docking port - thanks guys for flying close to red light) but the foundation is pretty solid and what is in the game works really well. Looking at what the game has to offer in terms of ship customization has me a bit worried because choice of available guns and modules seems to be quite limited, scrolling through the station's inventory gets you a lot of things looking exactly the same but with a different price tag. All in all the game seems to be released a little bit prematurely and you can see it's missing features straight away, but it does not stop you from playing it all day long. Expand
  19. Dec 16, 2014
    If you want a game that tells you what to do and when, this is not the game for you. If you want a insanely massive playground, where you can pretty much do what you want, this is it.
  20. Mar 21, 2015
    Elite Dangerous is an futuristic, space flight "sand box" game. You play a solo character who is a small time pilot with a spaceship. You can play in several different ways. You can engage in combat, in trade between solar systems, explore new systems or mine asteroids. You can do one, some or all of these, but you don't HAVE to do any of them. I think this is one of the best aspects ofElite Dangerous is an futuristic, space flight "sand box" game. You play a solo character who is a small time pilot with a spaceship. You can play in several different ways. You can engage in combat, in trade between solar systems, explore new systems or mine asteroids. You can do one, some or all of these, but you don't HAVE to do any of them. I think this is one of the best aspects of the game because it allows for different types of people to enjoy the game. Some people aren't good at combat. In some games, that rules out the whole game, but in this game, you can prosper in the game without firing a shot and often the occasional attacker by avoiding 'bad neighborhoods' and running away. With 400 billion solar systems, there's space for a lot of different people.

I also like it's emphasis on space travel as a thing in itself, where you need to plot courses, take fuel into account and navigate around starts and planets in order maintain the best speed. Space flight is not simply a thing between battles, it's a thing itself. Because Elite Dangerous is more than just a first person shooter in space, there is considerable learning curve at first, and there can be a good deal of time between combats (although you can always find them if you spend time with the game to find out how). It's a space game and not a shooter with space as a skin.

When I see criticisms of it being "boring", it usually boils down to people having an expectation that it's solely a combat game (it's not) or it's a 'conquer and rule the galaxy' game which it's not as well. It's better to think of it like a "Firefly The Game" game where your focus is to trade and do missions to keep yourself flying, rather than conquer a planet and build a private empire. That's not something you can do. If people expect it to be something it;'s not , that's when I see complaints. Might as well complain that crossword puzzles have no guns.
  21. Jan 1, 2015
    It's fair to say Elite Dangerous is far from perfect, it has it's short comings, the bitter taste of the way in which the offline mode was dropped aside there really is an empty feeling to the game due to lack of content.
    That said, the mechanics of the game are fantastic, the groundwork for a truly exceptional game are most definitely there to be built upon, Frontier in my honest opinion cannot take their eye off the ball and MUST keep churning out new content and by this I mean a lot more than setting up the odd conflict zone or manipulating the legality of certain mushrooms. Things like planetary landings and being able to walk around your ship etc are all well and good but these shouldn't be the things Frontier Development concentrate on imho they need to focus very heavily on content such as multi-player tools, additional ships and variety, the milkyway isn't as simple as a copy and paste solar systems which for all intense and purposes may as well be the same ones over and over making exploration as much fun as packing fruit on a conveyor belt.

As it stands Elite Dangerous is an awesome game trapped inside a very good game, it just needs to be encouraged to mature properly, and seeing as offline mode is history now this development is solely in the hands of Frontier Development.
  22. Dec 20, 2014
    A solid start for a game that has huge potential. It has plenty of room to grow during post-release development, and does suffer a bit from underdeveloped features and a steep learning curve. There is actually a lot of depth in the political simulation (which is still being tweaked), but a lack of tutorials and the fact that Elite: Dangerous departs from the standard economy sim is spaceA solid start for a game that has huge potential. It has plenty of room to grow during post-release development, and does suffer a bit from underdeveloped features and a steep learning curve. There is actually a lot of depth in the political simulation (which is still being tweaked), but a lack of tutorials and the fact that Elite: Dangerous departs from the standard economy sim is space model means that some players may miss it. But at its heart, it's a game of discovery, not only in the literal sense of exploring the insanely huge galaxy, but also in finding out how that galaxy works.
    It has no campaign as such, but Frontier are injecting story "hooks" in the form of events which players can get involved with and influence the outcomes of. The current storyline is a struggle for the Imperial throne. As well as the injected storylines, others naturally develop as a consequence of the many thousands of local factions goals and statuses, and how players respond and interact with them.
    As an MMO, it's radically different to what the term usually implies. There are a massive number of players in the same persistent galaxy, all of whom have an influence on it, but the galaxy is so huge that it can be quite rare to meet other players. The game doesn't artificially force players together, so you'll need to make more of an effort than is usual if you do want to play with other people. There are also no standard MMO features at the time of writing, so guilds, parties and chat channels are absent - though they'll be developed as time goes on.
    But what the game does right now, it does very well. The flight model is fun, there are plenty of different activities to engage in, the background simulation brings a lot of unusual (and often overlooked) detail to the proceedings, and the galaxy model is a work of art. If you've played previous versions of Elite, you'll have a good feel for the game and where it is heading.
    It is, however, a niche game and always will be. It follows its own path within the space sim genre and is very different in feel, aim and effect to EvE or the X games, and this may throw some players until they get a handle on the Elite-style gameplay.
    As previously mentioned, the game will benefit from post-release development (which is relatively common these days for large-scale multiplayer games), so if you're looking for a fully featured game, I'd say leave it for perhaps six months before buying it. If you're happy to get in early and be part of the game as it grows and unfolds, then go for it. What is there right now is solid, stable and immensely playable even though there is plenty more to be added to it.
    A
  23. Dec 16, 2014
    Been looking forward to this for 20 years. It's not perfect but with more development to come this is going to be fantastic.

Looking forward to when the storyline starts.
  24. Mar 23, 2015
    To be honest I am a fanboi but I do have to say up until 1.2 a slightly embarrased fanboi who didnt play it that often. However its now good and shaping up to get even better. Although you do have to actually find a thrill in drifting among the stars and being in space ! I do luckily.
  25. Dec 16, 2014
    This is a true sequel to original Elite, absolutely Fantastic! Frontier have created the whole Milky Way galaxy to our playground! The graphics are incredibly beautiful, you can feel the scale of the galaxy when flying around in your ship. You start with small ship and begin to earn credits to get bigger ship to match your play style, it can be a pirate ship trying to steal cargo fromThis is a true sequel to original Elite, absolutely Fantastic! Frontier have created the whole Milky Way galaxy to our playground! The graphics are incredibly beautiful, you can feel the scale of the galaxy when flying around in your ship. You start with small ship and begin to earn credits to get bigger ship to match your play style, it can be a pirate ship trying to steal cargo from others while avoiding bounty hunters that want to cash in bounty on your head or you can carry cargo and trade them between star systems to get better price than you paid for it. The choice is yours! Expand
  26. Dec 21, 2014
    Just downloaded the game a bit late to get the mercenary edition but got the advantage of a group of friends already with beta and gamma experience, so got tons of help etc.

Suffice to say I am really sad I took this long to get the game...
  27. Dec 22, 2014
    A game for people who do not need hand-holding, Elite: Dangerous is a worthy successor in the old Elite line of games. Start with a small ship and a handfull of credits and explore the universe.
  28. Dec 22, 2014
    The game is great and FD are adding more and more content by the day. Explore space, trade rare goods, do some bounty hunting, smuggle some goods you pirated, buy new ships, etc. Its about the journey not about how fast you can grind to an anaconda ship. Some people on here are mad the game isn't casualized, the game doesn't hold your hand AT ALL!. There are normal tutorials like docking,The game is great and FD are adding more and more content by the day. Explore space, trade rare goods, do some bounty hunting, smuggle some goods you pirated, buy new ships, etc. Its about the journey not about how fast you can grind to an anaconda ship. Some people on here are mad the game isn't casualized, the game doesn't hold your hand AT ALL!. There are normal tutorials like docking, and combat but thats it. You have to figure out the game mechanics yourself and that is very rewarding once you do. Whether you saw some guy on reddit post about best mining locations or you met a commander(real player) tell you about a rare trading route, its all very cool to figure these things out that aren't labeled "GO TO THIS OBJECTIVE".

What I suggest to new players is to ask around what actions get a bounty on your head because a lot of new players expect the game to be unforgiving when they come in but its not... You can easily amass 100k worth of bounties cause you did illegal things. Ill list some things that get you bounties:

Some tips to avoid bounties:
    - If you are not in an "anarchy" govt system (you can check govt, factions,etc in the galaxy map) attacking clean ships (you can check this after scanning them) will net you a bounty, killing them gives you a much bigger bounty.

- If you find goods laying around and pick them up getting scanned by federal security ships will net you a huge fine for carrying stolen goods, thus to sell these you should go to a place with low security (check galaxy map) or there are specific manuevers to smuggle them into stations (one is to be around 7km away from entrance of station and very fast go in the station doors because once you are inside fed ships cannot scan you). You sell goods like this at the black market under the "contacts" tab in many stations.

-Do not do the missions which as you to kill civilian or trading ships, these net you a bounty far bigger than the payout, the only reason to do these is to get higher with the specific group that is giving you the mission.

Some early game tips for new players:
    - Do hauling missions when you first start out under the "bulletin board" in stations, these are quick easy and safe starting money.

- ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for docking permission from stations before going in otherwise they WILL SHOOT YOU after a given period. To do this go under your contacts tab on the left UI of your ship and clicking on the station, ask for docking permission. Check which dock number you are assigned and land there, take out your landing gear (L on pc) before landing. trying to land in wrong one will land you infraction and get you killed.

- DO not shoot near stations, they will kill you instantly. You will see a message saying that a place is a "no fire zone".

-Before jumping to another part of space you have to retract hardpoints (weapons,landing gear, cargo hold) otherwise you cannot jump. you can check if landing gear and cargo hold are out on the bottom right. U is to deploy or retract weapons. Also you cannot jump if you are "mass locked" meaning you are too close to a station, keep getting further away until you are not mass locked anymore.

-When you are buying parts for your ship check your power consumption on the right, if your power consumption exceeds supplied, your ship will turn off stuff like life support or shields when deploying things like weapons ( you can sort of get around this by setting unneeded things to lower priority on the right UI but its better to get a bigger powerplant.

-when you are buying parts check your FSD jump distance, this laden is when your cargo is at max, unladen is when its not. Make sure you don't make this too low and can't jump anywhere (check galaxy map to see how far things are. You can increase this by buying lower mass parts, better thrusters or by getting a better fsd drive.

- REMEMBER TO REFUEL. You can buy a fuel scoop which lets you get fuel by going close to starts but its very dangerous. you can refuel at any nearby stations. IF you run out of fuel to jump in deep space with no station nearby, you are screwed. Just self destruct on the right otherwise you will just die a slow painful death.

Thats all I can think of for now. Hopefully it helps a new ED player looking on here for reviews.
    GOOD LUCK COMMANDER!
  29. Dec 23, 2014
    Been waiting 20 odd years since Elite II for this and its epic. It will only get better with more content, Ignore the refund moaners watch the youtube videos and judge for yourself.
  30. Dec 29, 2014
    This is the most fun I have had in a PC game in years. Elite has that "just want to play for a few more minutes until it is 4:00 in the morning factor". While more content is needed it is fun as it is and Frontier is hard at work with addition free content and eventually paid add ons, such as first person and planet landing. I highly recommend Elite Dangerous.
  31. Dec 25, 2014
    A great space sim that needs some work. As it stands right now, flying is a blast but gets a bit old, but has a lot of potential. With a little more work, this game will be amazing.
  32. Dec 16, 2014
    Played the original Elite games in the 80s and 90s, and this new version definitely lives up to the legacy. It all looks very pretty and the flight mechanics are intuitive and easy to pick up (although hard to master!). Lots more content is due to be added to this game in the future, which can only enrich the gameplay even further. I'm having a blast!
  33. Dec 21, 2014
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"....

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe"....

The game is ground-breaking in so many ways and I've been enjoying it immensely having gotten into the gamma phase of the game. The full release has gone very smoothly and I am astounded by what Frontier have delivered. The visuals are stunning, breathtaking in many places, the flight model and combat is exceptional - with each ship having its own very unique style and feel from a pilots point of view.

Its an open world game so you decide what your story is situated inside a dynamic galaxy which responds to what all the players do. Right now I'm battling a slave rebellion and fighting against a blockade by the Federation as key factions continue their power struggle throughout the galaxy.

There are a few things that need improvement upon such as better functions for group play, which I understand is coming early in 2015. But in all honesty I find myself in gamer heaven right now. I just can't stop playing it..

I suspect I'll be playing this title for years to come, and it will only improve and become more feature rich over time. Don't let the whiners put you off, its a fantastic game.

See you in the galaxy Commanders! :)
  34. Dec 22, 2014
    Remember that wireframe version on a BBC micro back in the 80's . . . this is what you wanted it to be! Stunning graphics & sound . . . check
    Steep learning curve (reddit, google & youtube are your friends) . . . check
    Need to buy a joystick . . . check Future proof (Occulus Rift/4k monitors) . . . check "Just another 15 minutes" . . . .and 4 hours later your still playing it . . ..
    Steep learning curve (reddit, google & youtube are your friends) . . . check
    Need to buy a joystick . . . check
    Future proof (Occulus Rift/4k monitors) . . . check
    "Just another 15 minutes" . . . .and 4 hours later your still playing it . . .. check

Negative reviews seem to come from disgruntled Kickstarter backers (guys, Kickstarter = "donation" NOT "equity stake") winging about no off-line mode (it's 2014 and you havn't got internet or a mobile phone to teather? c'mon) or from MMO players who don't get that space is a big place.

Personally experienced one bug since launch
  35. Dec 24, 2014
    Once you filter the 'jilted backer zero' reviews and the 'quick post a perfect 10 to counter' you actually start to get a truer reflection of the game. 7.5 is a fair and reasonable reflection of a game that has hugely promising beginnings but needs fleshing out.

In its current state, it's a hugely addictive experience that already sucks hours away, once it's been added to, kiss anything resembling a social life goodbye.
  36. Dec 22, 2014
    This game keeps getting better and better. My friends and I got into a PVP dogfight in a low energy wake instance after trying to perform an interdiction on another apparently random player... Well that player had a friend and... 2 ships (Cobra, Viper) vs us 3 (Sidewinder, sidewinder and Viper). We got the wrong end of the stick but boy was it fun!
  37. Dec 22, 2014
    Elite Dangerous is the best space sim there is. Excellent graphics, amazing audio, fantastic gameplay. The game lacks at the moment a sort of purpose or a guideline that many players maybe looking for but for a game so big (a map of this size never existed in a game before) a single player scenario wouldn't have covered what is actually there to experience.

ED is fully compatible with

ED is fully compatible with Oculus Rift, making it the best virtual reality experience I ever had. Oculus+ED = Next Generation Gaming.
  38. Dec 22, 2014
    The only reason I'm not putting a 10 in is because the game's still got features to be implimented. It's a rich, layered galaxy stuffed to bursting with things to do. Aside from being stunningly beautiful, and amazing to play on a Rift, it's just plain good fun. Not for everyone: The game pace is much faster than the 1984 original, but it's still a game for the patient player, notThe only reason I'm not putting a 10 in is because the game's still got features to be implimented. It's a rich, layered galaxy stuffed to bursting with things to do. Aside from being stunningly beautiful, and amazing to play on a Rift, it's just plain good fun. Not for everyone: The game pace is much faster than the 1984 original, but it's still a game for the patient player, not Insert Credit Pew Pew Pew. There's a steep learning curve, but the payoff is so worth it. Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2014
    Possibly the best game out there to play with the Ocukus Rift DK2. The feeling of BEING in a 3D cockpit is tremendous. Flying a long of a massive 2 Km Federal battlecruiser will give oyu the same real feeling of those Star Wars scenes where the camera panned slowly all through the length of an Imperial Destroyer as it passed by...

Gameplay is also great, with comnbat and dogfight being

Gameplay is also great, with comnbat and dogfight being really engaging and fully pilot skill based.

The different paths you can take are not yet fully fleshed out but the options are so many that we can happily wait until Frontier finishes them off.

Playing with friends has some glitches but all in all I have been able to hook up with friends in co op without major issues or play PVP in many hotspot areas of the galaxy.

The galaxy scale 1:1 is just mesmerizing... "I have seen things, you people would not believe..."
  40. Dec 19, 2014
    10 or 0 or something in between, To the moaners out there I would say you clearly are not getting it, I have played about 15 -20 hours since Launch and had 0 crashes, ED has a steep learning curve to feel at home with it, after the initial wow of the graphics, and a few crashes trying to dock I thought, why am I playing this, what am I supposed to do there is nothing here. So10 or 0 or something in between, To the moaners out there I would say you clearly are not getting it, I have played about 15 -20 hours since Launch and had 0 crashes, ED has a steep learning curve to feel at home with it, after the initial wow of the graphics, and a few crashes trying to dock I thought, why am I playing this, what am I supposed to do there is nothing here. So if you are driven by a story in your game playing don't buy this!
    But once you understand that you can do what you like, and start to explore the missions and option for your ship, working our routes to different system, get comfortable with your ship and systems, chasing down wanted ships, bumping into funeral and wedding, convoys, pick up rare artifacts, or just some floating cargo, get interdicted for no reason and have to battle you way free. Go to extraction site and tangle with pirates while not getting caught by the security force while you steal the illegal goods, try out different weapon combos, find black markets, do some normal trading, worry if you have enough fuel for the next jump, get fined for carrying illegal cargo you have plenty to do. Once you let go and think of being a pilot in a spaceship in a universe (and the graphics help amazingly - the views are stunning) and are comfortable with the controls ( this take a few hours of play) you are set on a great adventure.
    To the guys who love this game unconditionally, I'd say that it is already very good, but I do miss easier interaction with other players. The jumping in and out of supercruise to land at station really spoils the immersion and really needs improving. So for me its 8/10 also I suggest that any new pilot spends some time in the forums to pick up some tips.
  41. Apr 9, 2015
    Amazing space ship pilot simulator. Traverse the milky way in all its glory to amass great wealth and fortune via exploring, mining, transportation of goods, bounty hunting or even piracy. Very immersing experience with the focus of piloting in a multilayer galaxy not so far away.
  42. Dec 23, 2014
    Don't be put off by the reviews posted by obvious Star Citizen fanbois. This game is genuinely excellent and captures the feel of the originals. Nothing to do? Want to make money? Trade, pirate, bounty hunt or sell exploration data! Fight in huge battles in conflict zones, or hunt down players who went the way of the pirate.

Elite: Dangerous doesn't hold your hand with maternal

Elite: Dangerous doesn't hold your hand with maternal instinct. It throws you into the Milky Way galaxy in it's entirety and dares you to trade, explore, fight and adventure. There is no "Pay to win" on offer here, there's no 500 dollar ships... it's every man for himself. The micro transaction store consists of nothing more than some fancy paint jobs for your ships, that's it!

Buy it, play it and love it!
  43. Dec 23, 2014
    Total Freedom and Blaze Your Own Trail are not just buzzwords in Elite. They are amazingly true and Elite delivers the best sandbox experience of a space sim ever, including multiplayer and co op gameplay like no other.
  44. Jan 11, 2015
    Been exploring the 1:1 galaxy since I started playing in Christmas and it is just an awesome sight to behold. Hunting black holes, neutron stars or simply approaching those nebulae just make my day. The open universe is there for the taking and will be getting back in time to "civilized" systems to try out the rest of the sandbox aspects of the game... combat, bounty hunting etc. But forBeen exploring the 1:1 galaxy since I started playing in Christmas and it is just an awesome sight to behold. Hunting black holes, neutron stars or simply approaching those nebulae just make my day. The open universe is there for the taking and will be getting back in time to "civilized" systems to try out the rest of the sandbox aspects of the game... combat, bounty hunting etc. But for now and until further notice... deep space explo is what I do.

There are many things left that were not at launch: wing mechanics, missing exploration mechanics and mining is just plain boring. But all in all this game is really really worth it for any space sim fan out there.

Devs have also started plotting thgeir dev work this year, not only for all those missing things but also for their major expansions. Hold on tight!
  45. Mar 21, 2015
    This game is first and foremost a sandbox. If you like sandbox style gameplay, this is a fantastic title for it. Your actual options as far as the game is concerned and how you want to play it are essentially limitless. To be fair, as everything is organized around income generation, this does somewhat restrict what you could do, at least at the moment. You've got several generalThis game is first and foremost a sandbox. If you like sandbox style gameplay, this is a fantastic title for it. Your actual options as far as the game is concerned and how you want to play it are essentially limitless. To be fair, as everything is organized around income generation, this does somewhat restrict what you could do, at least at the moment. You've got several general income paths, either by trade, by exploration, or by combat.

Exploration is purely exploration at the moment. It involves very pretty pictures, interesting systems, and a whole lot of scanning. It's somewhat repetitive but less so than other things. The appeal of exploration is the views, and really the chance encounters with extremely rare stellar objects, including Earth-like planets. If you're the first person to scan these objects, your name is permanently written on it, netting you prestige with any other player who visits. Now the galaxy is a reasonably accurate depiction of the Milky Way, with around 400 billion different star systems that can be visited. This is a major selling point of the game, and provided you're willing to go off the beaten path, there is no lack of places to scrawl your name saying "I've been here". Several large areas in the galaxy that currently require permits will be homes to vast alien empires, once this component of the game is implemented. Eventually the game designers will be implementing expansions that allow for planetary landings, though on the hundreds of thousands of Earth-like worlds, I wonder how they could successfully implement alien wildlife in a way that was realistic, exotic, and also reflecting the differences between worlds. I imagine this will be an incredibly large expansion, that is if it will net the realism that the designers are hoping for.

Trading is the most repetitive of all game activities, though it tends to be the most profitable after a certain point. It used to be the absolute most profitable activity in the game, but significant profit increases have been added to the other income streams, balancing this out a bit. It is by far the safest way to make money, and it takes a lot less initial investment to get going. There is a very zen quality to trading, jumping between stars and plotting routes. A subcomponent of trading is mining, which is not particularly interesting, but a very effective way to get out of lower tier ships. Lastly, rare trade goods net some of the highest profit margin, but require large jumps and sophisticated route mapping to do well. Also human pirates love to predate these routes, so your day can easily get ruined if you're not paying attention. Black market trading is the one kind of trading that is more interesting in its own right. Sometimes you have to sneak into stations past the police forces, who will ruin your day if you get caught. Lots of fun when you do it right, and pirates will be selling all their goods on the black market.

Finally, combat. You can bounty hunt, play as a mercenary, or be a pirate. All are a huge amount of fun, and it's never repetitive because every fight plays out differently. It's incredibly skill based, and the attention to detail that the developers paid really shines in combat. You have full 3-D maneuvering, allowing you far more sophisticated maneuvers than you could fly with a plane. Clever people with good situational awareness and piloting skills will excel at combat.

Now, as far as the overall feel of the game, the sandbox portion cannot be overstated. This may be a major turn-off for some people. This is a game where hundreds of thousands of players are always interacting and aiding in the progression of the game. The game actively changes based on player input, and developer prompting as well. But in a sea of several hundred thousand, the actual impact you have will be quite small. For example, a recent mercenary mission I played for around 15 hours, made 11 million credits was in the top 15% for progressing the mission, but the mission wasn't completed until 35 BILLION credits were made. As you can see, no one person can change the course of the game. There is also no false premise about giant universe ending events. No game bosses (except the capital ships) and no god-like level of achievement where you can't be beaten. You will probably never be able to own your own capital class ship. They cost hundreds of billions of credits. So you can't bully your way through the game with your giant pile of cash. And you can't count of being some massive hero either.

This game is presently solid. The fundamentals are great. Though there is a lack, at the moment of content diversity, they keep adding to the game and expanding this. Eventually players will be able to walk around, and FPS will become a thing. But if you want a storyline or a quest line, you will not get it in this game. This sandbox factor means no one holds your hand. I like it, others don't.
  46. Dec 21, 2014
    Best graphics, sounds, dogfight/combat and universe setting of a space sim game ever.

You can literally get lost in here if you so wish. There are tons of videos of actual gameplay in youtube that can be used to form an opinion already, so dont let my excitement blind you! I have been playing this game exclusively since I installed it back in Beta. The support from devs and the open

I have been playing this game exclusively since I installed it back in Beta. The support from devs and the open communication is one of the best in the industry.

With such team behind the game and a historic community founded on the original series this game will be around for a long time.
  47. Dec 16, 2014
    Fantastic... really.
    The game bring back the roots of gaming, back when we had no hand holding.
    There is a steep learning curve, which can be overcome by listening to experienced pilots, watching videos and taking advice. But once you are past that curve you can see how solid the mechanics are. Graphics are fantastic... and the sound? Simply awesome. It's a game with no 'end game' and
    Fantastic... really.
    The game bring back the roots of gaming, back when we had no hand holding.
    Graphics are fantastic... and the sound? Simply awesome.
    It's a game with no 'end game' and no final objective. There are not any NPC's that say "Go out kill 10 things and come back, and you get to move on to the next area" There's no theme park here. It's a sandbox where you decide what you want to do.
    Want to bounty hunt pirates? Sure... want to be a pirate? Go for it. Trading? Smuggling? Mining? Everything is there. And you can do it all.
    The future of ED is a bright one, there are plenty more features to come in the coming months.
    The reason for 9/10 and not 10/10 is due to small things like missing features on release. But with that in mind, we know they are coming soon.

For people who didn't play games prior to the year 2000, it might be a struggle to understand the concept behind what Elite Dangerous is about. Remember, there is no in game achievement, there's no final target. The target in game is what you set out to achieve. Once you understand that concept, you will have a fantastic time.
  48. Dec 23, 2014
    You are the shiny new captain of your own ship and you don't even know how. Elite: Dangerous isn't quite everything it promised to be in it's initial pitch videos but it is certainly on the right path, there has never been another game out there that has just felt so right while playing, yes most system in the game at the minute are very bare-bones but there is a path to flesh all that outYou are the shiny new captain of your own ship and you don't even know how. Elite: Dangerous isn't quite everything it promised to be in it's initial pitch videos but it is certainly on the right path, there has never been another game out there that has just felt so right while playing, yes most system in the game at the minute are very bare-bones but there is a path to flesh all that out and what is in the game already is pretty special. This is a living, breathing galaxy and it's just begging for you to explore. Expand
  49. Mar 22, 2015
    Recently picked up this game, its a refreshing change of pace from most triple a games right now! The sights and sounds.. breath taking. I'm really impressed with what they put together here, so far i've put 100 hrs into the game, and I just don't do that if I think a game is crap. I usually consider getting 30 hrs of a game decent for my money.

But it's not just me - two buddies of

But it's not just me - two buddies of mine picked it up last week and since then we have been having a blast playing together!

After doing a bit of research, and finding out about future expansions, I'm even more excited!

10/10 fly safe!
  50. Dec 21, 2014
    I originally gave Elite a 4 given the seemingly lack of guidance at all in the game but then I started actually playing the game. I also checked the forums and saw all the help, videos and manuals, even those made by the community like Forger's.

Now I am enjoying it immensely. This is a space sandbox with all options open for players. No stry line, except the one you make for yourself.
  51. Dec 20, 2014
    Great space sim game with probably the smoothest launch of a game in recent times. The dev team spent hours on end polishing the game prior to launch thanks to the great communication with the community. You can easily find all the devs posts at the forums every day in order to ensure a smooth experience.

The thousands of game play footage in Youtube can easily tell the story better

The thousands of game play footage in Youtube can easily tell the story better than my words, just look at the channels by Edwin Stowe, Isinona or Neon Raven. Actual gameply footage is just astonishingly fun and beatiful at the same time.

You can play as pirate, bounty hunter, mercenary, trader, explorer etc... alone or with friends. Influencing the main factions around to get the most out of a system or participating in the story line driven by major faction injected events...

All in all probably the best space sim around for a long time.
  52. Dec 16, 2014
    Seems like a worthy successor to the Elite and Elite: Frontier games of past, who many have hoped to see return for decades.

The same motive and "end game" as usual: None. There is no end game, or if you wish, the end game starts the moment you first leave your station. From start to finish, this is a game where you shape your own future. As such, this game demands unusually much

The same motive and "end game" as usual: None.

From start to finish, this is a game where you shape your own future. As such, this game demands unusually much from a player's imagination in order to enjoy it to its fullest. It also relies a lot on the intangible sense of wonder felt by exploring star systems. I don't think Elite: Dangerous suits everyone, but I also think it may suit others better than many other games have for years.

The space-sim genre has long been in hibernation, and so I welcome Elite: Dangerous, a game letting you shape your own future, but not only that, expects you to want to. You will be met with minimal hand holding in this game, and minimal staked out paths. That can be both alluring, and a disadvantage, depending on who you ask.
  53. Dec 23, 2014
    Gameplay 9 (combat in particular is excellent and addictive!)
    Setting 10 (full galaxy!)
    Graphics 10
    Sound 10
    Multiplayer 8
    Smooth servers 10

I have un installed Star Citizen arena commander pay to win. Nough said.
  54. Jan 11, 2015
    Avery solid foundation and extremely fun at it. Yes, the game is incomplete but that was not a surprise. In this day an age games like Elite will never really be finished. With recent good press reviews and sales results Elite has just published that their team will be expanding to deliver whats left in the base game (squadron mechanics, more ships, localization etc) and the fPS andAvery solid foundation and extremely fun at it. Yes, the game is incomplete but that was not a surprise. In this day an age games like Elite will never really be finished. With recent good press reviews and sales results Elite has just published that their team will be expanding to deliver whats left in the base game (squadron mechanics, more ships, localization etc) and the fPS and planetary landing expansions. Expand
  55. Dec 20, 2014
    Not a game for all tastes definitely, but very rewarding if it is your taste!

Not a game for all tastes definitely, but very rewarding if it is your taste!

Elite does not sport a main story line where you are the hero. Here you ar ejust a pilot in the middle of the inmensity of the galaxy. Big factions fight for power and you try to profiteer in there the best you can. You can choose to support one of them or go your own way but you will not be the saviour of the galaxy.

If you are ok with this kind of game premise then you are in for a treat. From the 1:1 galaxy scale which will make you salivate as an explorer (black holes, nebulae, brown dwarves, neutron stars, ring systems...) to the great dogfight system and the sheer scale of those cap ships... (2 Km)... just get in and behold!
  56. Dec 20, 2014
    The best:
    Beauty of a galaxy recreated fully as we know it, black holes and all
    Excellent flying and dogfight system, including ship subsystems and weapont very well balanced... gimballed system is a great solution to the issue other games have Sleek user interface Excellent configurability for all kinds of controls Excellent graphics and sound, including full support for oculus rift
    The best:
    Beauty of a galaxy recreated fully as we know it, black holes and all
    Sleek user interface
    Excellent configurability for all kinds of controls
    Excellent graphics and sound, including full support for oculus rift

The less good: multiplayer is work in progress, and the squadron mechanics have been promised for early 2015

All in all a game that should be in any space fan library methinks.
  57. Dec 23, 2014
    Never played the original Elite or its sequels, but I can tell you one thing: Elite Dangerous is as good as it gets. Probably the best space sim of recent times. Pure space sim sandbox where you can play solo or with friends (I have been doing so with 3 of my mates) and you can choose the path you want,: Bounty hunting, trading, mercenary, exploring, pirate, mining... you name it. You canNever played the original Elite or its sequels, but I can tell you one thing: Elite Dangerous is as good as it gets. Probably the best space sim of recent times. Pure space sim sandbox where you can play solo or with friends (I have been doing so with 3 of my mates) and you can choose the path you want,: Bounty hunting, trading, mercenary, exploring, pirate, mining... you name it. You can also follow your own path or try to align with one of the main faction and follow the main story path evolving at some of the key systems in the galaxy.

Exploring the 1:1 galaxy is just amazing, everything from Canis Majoris, to Eta Carinae to Sagitarius A are in there!

Graphics are latest gen supporting oculus rift and DK2, sounds are also out of this world. The immersion is unrivaled.

I have been playing non stop from day one where the launch was probably the smoothest around. Devs are out there responding to the community and the new content and expansions coming our way will keep this game alive for a very very very long time.
  58. Dec 23, 2014
    Got this game as a pre xmas present and cant put it down. Not familiar with the old Elite but this modern version is just amazing. Best space combat I ve played in a long time. Star Citizen AC and the X series lag way behind and the glove has been thrown.
  59. Dec 27, 2014
    After a couple months playing (since beta) I still manage to pull all nighters to play Elite... enough said. Flying with my mates, bounty hunting or harrasing the Empire is just awesome.
  60. Dec 30, 2014
    Cant put this game down. Same Civilization "one more turn" effect here! Just, one more trade, one more bounty hunt, one more mission, one more kill contract! And the best part? I ve been doing all this with my friends online. The 1:1 galaxy scale is just awesome to behold. Can spend hours on end just gazing a planetary rings, amazing planets, neutron stars, black holes or nebulae.
  61. Dec 20, 2014
    Elite is a highly recommendable space sim and worth of belonging in any space sim fan library.

The first 3 press critics rank it with very high scores, 70, 80 and 90 respectively. The game is online only but dont let that fool you, the broadband needs for Solo play are ridiculous and you can even play on the train with a tethered mobile connection if needed. The game is also here

The game is also here to stay as it has a historical fan base that is estimated above the 120,000 player mark. Plans for further development by Frontier are looking good so the investment in the game is a solid one.
  62. Dec 20, 2014
    It is fair to say Elite: Dangerous is at the moment and for the foreseeable the best damned space sim ever.

The game cater for all playstyles, be it PVE, PVP or co op. It has a 1:1 galaxy scale to get lost in if you want to, or you can go and get involved in busy PVP hotspots as part of the main faction struggle in the galaxy. From humble beginnings you will be able to progress and

From humble beginnings you will be able to progress and take control of oyur own destiny in the game alone or with your friends.

Best graphics (oculus rift and 4K support), sound and sleekest interface, this space sim is worthy of entering the game library of any space sim enthusiast.
  63. Dec 20, 2014
    Great game with a robust foundation for gameplay in a 1:1 galaxy and an engaging combat system. 6DoF, in both assist on and off flying modes will make all space sim fans enjoy it at its best. Best support for a game that I have seen for ages. The dev team has been there since the start and and the great forum support is obvious. One of the most serious developer companies I ve seen in a long time.
  64. Dec 23, 2014
    Never a space has got my friends and me so hooked. We are currently bounty hunting in a planetary ring system in an anarchy jurisdiction and we are also getting some awesome PVP dogfights out of it all. The fact this game has one of the best combat and flight systems even in a space game helps a little. Weather it is silent running techniques, or energy system vs weapon choices and trueNever a space has got my friends and me so hooked. We are currently bounty hunting in a planetary ring system in an anarchy jurisdiction and we are also getting some awesome PVP dogfights out of it all. The fact this game has one of the best combat and flight systems even in a space game helps a little. Weather it is silent running techniques, or energy system vs weapon choices and true piloting skilled involved combat is just epic. And much better with friends around. Expand
  65. Jan 10, 2015
    Excellent immersion is the best galaxy ever created for a space sim. Combat is really engageing and well balanced, gratiying especially with friends. More is still to come. firsp erson and planetary landings.
  66. Dec 16, 2014
    A modern reimagining of the 80s classic that invented a genre, with highlights from the sequels thrown in. Stunning graphics, a mind-bogglingly massive universe, visceral combat and as addictive as crystal meth. Currently geared towards sim players, rather than casual gamers.

Those who say the game is empty are perhaps a bit more used to modern video games that spoon-feed you narrative, make you the centre of the universe and constantly assault your senses.
    Elite and Frontier were never like that and neither is Elite Dangerous. You are nobody special. You are a single person in a spaceship (hence the Han Solo references in many previews). You inhabit a cold, harsh, uncaring and deadly universe (very much like our own). Perhaps, with the help of other players, you can help set events in motion that fundamentally change the economies and politics of the galaxy. Hopefully you'll make a few credits along the way.

Elite Dangerous is the thinking person's space sim.
  67. Dec 22, 2014
    I have been playing this game since the alpha and it has been fantastic to watch it expand and grow.

A lot of the reviews I have read on here are from people expecting to be entertained by the game and led from goal to goal. Elite is not that kind of game. There are missions, there is a story, but you have to make the effort to get involved with them. The story does not come to you, you have to go to the story.

The stories happen in specific star systems and if you are not in them, then you wont be able to get involved. You can still pick up missions, but you have to make the effort to decide how you want your story to unfold.

Personally, I love trading and exploring and picking up the odd bounty by killing pirates. I don't want the biggest ship, I don't want the most money or kills. I just enjoy flying around the galaxy, buying and selling and taking out the odd bad guy. So far I have logged about 100 hours and my only challenge is finding time to play.

I may get bored, but I have a sight seeing list that is going to take me a long time to get through :-)

See you in the 'verse commanders!
  68. Jan 11, 2015
    I was on the fence about this game and finally gave in after watching the Youtube channels of some of the best explorers in Elite, like Erimus One and Titus Balls. Being able to find all of the charted and catalogued celestial objects in the galaxy while pew pewing is just amazing. The latest exoplanets found by NASA´s kepler telescope have just been uploaded into the game and can beI was on the fence about this game and finally gave in after watching the Youtube channels of some of the best explorers in Elite, like Erimus One and Titus Balls. Being able to find all of the charted and catalogued celestial objects in the galaxy while pew pewing is just amazing. The latest exoplanets found by NASA´s kepler telescope have just been uploaded into the game and can be already visited... Expand
  69. Dec 17, 2014
    Never played an Elite game before this, and honestly I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Freespace 2. This game does NOT hold your hand, and does NOT reveal every bit of its mechanics to you at first. There's nothing like escaping a battle by the skin of your teeth, canopy busted, ship completely spaced, rushing back to a safe location to replenish your oxygen and repair your ship.Never played an Elite game before this, and honestly I haven't enjoyed a game this much since Freespace 2. This game does NOT hold your hand, and does NOT reveal every bit of its mechanics to you at first. There's nothing like escaping a battle by the skin of your teeth, canopy busted, ship completely spaced, rushing back to a safe location to replenish your oxygen and repair your ship.

Within a few minutes of playing, I had to get a joystick and throttle. No game has *ever* made me want to that. Impressive job, developers.
  70. Dec 22, 2014
    Great space game. It won't be fun for all, but if you like space, if you like sandbox games, exploration, trading, dogfighting and gorgeous infinite universe, this is for you.
  71. Mar 20, 2015
    An absolutely fantastic game that I've already poured hours and hours into since release. I'm surprised so many people are being hard on it. I love that it isn't insta, you set your own goals though there's plenty of help offered by the missions system. Absolutely fun!
  72. Dec 17, 2014
    Space sim heaven. If you enjoyed freelancer or another space sim game then you should give this a look. The devs of the game are constantly at work improving it too!
  73. Dec 24, 2014
    A promising start to the reboot of a great franchise. I think the best is yet to come.
    I would encourage anyone to at least give the game a try, the initial learning curve is very steep by the standards of the day; but once you dig deep the effort is rewarding.
  74. Dec 27, 2014
    Elite is an excellent space sim sandbox that will keep you hooked for very very long. Excellent combat and gameplay, 1:1 galaxy and next gen graphics, oculus support and sound.
  75. Jan 11, 2015
    Wow. Just wow. I got the game after launch and have been doing my share of low level missions and trades, hunting some baddies at asteroid fields and star gazing. Already plenty good. But today... today we had a clan gathering (around 20 commanders gathered around the belt clusters of CD-54 471 and started organizing free for alls and 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 squadron games with another clan memberWow. Just wow. I got the game after launch and have been doing my share of low level missions and trades, hunting some baddies at asteroid fields and star gazing. Already plenty good. But today... today we had a clan gathering (around 20 commanders gathered around the belt clusters of CD-54 471 and started organizing free for alls and 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 squadron games with another clan member assisting as umpire. The only main rule was everyone had to go in sidewinders. Customized at will but just sidewinders. The ffa were great but the 2 v 2 and 3 v 3 were just epic. Chasing each other around the big rocks, using chaf and heat sinks while trying to help each other and shake bandits. Man. I love this game. Expand
  76. Dec 22, 2014
    Everything I wanted from a new Elite is here and then some!!

I'm currently an exploratory bounty hunter with a penchant for the odd smuggling run if the price is right. The "Open Play" puts the "Dangerous" in Elite for me..... you can out maneuver an NPC but the unpredictability of my fellow CMDR is an exciting challenge not to be taken lightly. This game has so much promise but
    Everything I wanted from a new Elite is here and then some!!

This game has so much promise but right here, right now it's great I'm hooked. Looking forward to so much that's in game already..... donning my pirates hat and grabbing some booty ;-) (and running from the Feds!!!!), tooling up my ship with the best Tech and exploring the Frontier... (Boldly going where .....). Getting the best ship, but is the best ship with the Empire or the Federation??? Decisions decisions; can't do both, right? Or can I....

Right now would be a wonderful time to win the lottery.... There sooo much to get done and sooo little time.

Right On,Commanders..... See you in Space !
  77. Apr 21, 2015
    Here, take a ship, some credits and have fun. Elite: Dangerous doesn't hold your hand, in fact, you don't even see the hand. It **** you out into the milky way and sends you on your way (locked and loaded). What every nerd longs for, an open galaxy with endless possibilities. But thats not enough, not in a game with so many possibilities. This game is dying for a storyline, the game isHere, take a ship, some credits and have fun. Elite: Dangerous doesn't hold your hand, in fact, you don't even see the hand. It **** you out into the milky way and sends you on your way (locked and loaded). What every nerd longs for, an open galaxy with endless possibilities. But thats not enough, not in a game with so many possibilities. This game is dying for a storyline, the game is thirsting for something more. But that something more isn't here yet. The game runs perfectly, if you think of perfect like driving around a parking lot that full, and nobody is leaving. The game itself seems so close to being done, close, but not done. Like a late beta, the meat isnt there yet, but it could show up sometime? Maybe? Who knows, because nobody has told me **** For whats there, the games fun, if you like unfinished games, this is the game for you. Oh, its not unfinished in a bad way, its unfinished in a good way. Like Star Citizen, its not done yet, but when it is, oh man... Your dick wont go down for days. Expand
  78. Dec 25, 2014
    Best space sim sandbox at the moment. Total Freedom is a rela understatement. Frontiers revolutionary style to design a practically infinite game universe breaks most classic MMO moulds. This wont be to the taste of many but if you embrace the concept of a real sandbox then this game is for you.
  79. Dec 29, 2014
    You really need to know what you are getting into if you decide to buy this game, or you will end up as one of those who fail to understand it and regret the decision. So please, read up on it first instead of wasting your money and then posting a "0/10 LEL this game is boring" crap review.

Elite is not a game that will guide you by hand. It's an oldschool game that will shove you into a merciless universe head first. It is a great space sim with excellent flight model. The galaxy is vast and harsh, beatiful in a cold, desolate way.
  80. Dec 30, 2014
    Elite is probably the most ambitious space sim of all time in so many levels. From the whole milky way galaxy modeled, to the complete sandbox experience, to the persistent universe faction influence and reputation mechanics.

Watch teams of players trying to create a civil war in Lugh so to profiteer from squeezed key commodities or to be able to raise in ranks within the Federation to be able to opt for a Dropship .

You dictate what you want to do at any moment and that freedom is amazing.
  81. Dec 16, 2014
    (Day one review, based on beta experience)

Elite combines great gameplay, incredibly visuals and the astounding sound (the best I've ever heard from a PC game) to produce a very polished space experience. However its not perfect. Multiplayer gameplay is unfinished (with promised fixes coming in January) and along with moment of beauty, or excitement there are occasional moment of
    (Day one review, based on beta experience)

However its not perfect. Multiplayer gameplay is unfinished (with promised fixes coming in January) and along with moment of beauty, or excitement there are occasional moment of tedium as well. Space is vast, and Elite brilliantly captures this in all its wonder, but travelling places can take a long time.

The bottom line. The game is a visual and auditory treat. Its fun to play, and highly addictive, but it may not be for everyone. If you seek instant gratification look elsewhere. If you're willing to put in a little time this game will reward you.
  82. Jan 9, 2015
    Elite is simply an awesome, sprawling universe where you can do whatever you want. That may not be everyone's cup of tea, some people require their gameplay to be more scripted.

The graphics are fantastic and there are so many pretty things to see. Go and explore a realistic model of the universe. What's great is that it's not a race, you can take things at your own pace. Trade your way up to larger ships if that's what you want, or kit out your ship as a fighter. Whatever you want to do, it's there in Elite, and there's so much more to come in the updates.
  83. Jan 10, 2015
    I have not played any other game since I joined in Beta a few months ago. The game will immerse you fully with that "1 more mission" feeling exactly in the same way games like civilization would keep oyu at the screen for all nighters.
  84. Dec 16, 2014
    As of update 2.07 (1 day prior to launch) this is the game I have been waiting for since 1984. Been playing Since Beta and enjoyed every day I have played, and seen ED become what it is today. As ED matures in time its going to be one of the best space games in the last 30 years :)
  85. Dec 22, 2014
    Pirate!! Kill him! Ou wait, i am pirate! "Hello sir, can i help you?" Everything can you imagine, you can do it. Minning, stelling, destroying, traveling and searching new things as real satelite Voyanger:) Beatiful graphic. Sometimes they come boring, but then you wiil see some new guys with precious cargo and there is nothing easier than to shoot and rob him:-D
  86. Dec 16, 2014
    Let's be clear about one thing - Elite is not finished. There's a fair bit that I feel needs fleshed out, but I'm giving my score based on *potential* as well as current gameplay etc. great graphics, flight mechanics etc but there's still loads to come!
  87. Dec 16, 2014
    The first launch into space: fascinating! The graphics of "Elite: Dangerous" is breathtaking. From the highly detailed spaceship models over the Suns with their vibrant solar winds up to the magnificent space stations.
    It makes really fun to fly in to the huge hangars, to obtain permission to land by radio and then lie down a spot landing on the assigned platform. Funny: If you look down, you can even see the hands of the pilots synchronously handle your entries with the controller.

In the ports depending on equipment installed there are bulletin boards with orders, a dynamic commodity market, a black market for illegal booty and a shipyard. You can also sell researched maps, and upgrade your ship and customize their own way.

"Elite: Dangerous" is a true simulation giant

Spectacular space panoramas, exciting battles and a lively and believable universe. For PC gamers one of the most important games of the year.
  88. Dec 20, 2014
    Best space sim gameplay since a long time. Combat is sleek and deep, with all kinds of checks and balances in the piloting and weaponry front, including countermeasures, "silent running" and more. Just with combat alone and combat missions one can spend countless hours.

Graphics are top notch, and I just got my oculus rift in with whichI am having a blast. Head tracking in this thing is just OP and the experience is the most immersive ever.
  89. Dec 20, 2014
    Not sure what brought me here as I was a self declared Star Citizen fanboi with more than 2000 USD pledged over there, but boy am I glad I did get Elite. Both games will be great in their own right but since I started out with Elite I cant touch Arena commander. The combat is so much more rewarding in Elite, and the 1:1 scale galaxy is a paradise for explorers. Maybe AC 1.0 will changeNot sure what brought me here as I was a self declared Star Citizen fanboi with more than 2000 USD pledged over there, but boy am I glad I did get Elite. Both games will be great in their own right but since I started out with Elite I cant touch Arena commander. The combat is so much more rewarding in Elite, and the 1:1 scale galaxy is a paradise for explorers. Maybe AC 1.0 will change things but so far I cant but recommend Elite to all space sim fans. Enjoy. Expand
  90. Dec 30, 2014
    Also scoring it 10 even though its an 8 or 8.5 because of all the negative reviews and people voting zero.
    Id like to comment on some of the reviews , someone mentioned exploration only gives a tiny amount of cash, this person forgot to mention there are 2 different pretty expensive modules you can put on your ship to increase money gain and scan range.
    People who fly from A to B all the
    People who fly from A to B all the time doing a dogfight sometimes on the way , dont get what this game is about . There is so much to explore its staggering .
    You can already go to the planets surface it just takes a few hours . And atmosphere isnt implemented so it seems you fly backwards when flying in the same direction the planet spins.

For the Dota and console kids who dont know what to do with freedom , avoid this game. This will also help keep the community somewhat friendly.
  91. Jan 13, 2015
    There's nothing more that I can say other than since getting this game it's all I've really thought about, I'm glad I didn't fall into the Kickstarter as I'm so glad for it being a fresh full game to me. I've played it every spare moment I've had, and I can't wait to see what more becomes of it over the next few months. I purchased this as a stop gap before the release of No Man's Sky...There's nothing more that I can say other than since getting this game it's all I've really thought about, I'm glad I didn't fall into the Kickstarter as I'm so glad for it being a fresh full game to me. I've played it every spare moment I've had, and I can't wait to see what more becomes of it over the next few months. I purchased this as a stop gap before the release of No Man's Sky... And this is no stop gap. I'll be playing this for a long time to come. Expand
  92. Dec 16, 2014
    Classic space trading sandbox game, re-imagined for today

You start off with a low level ship, 100 credits and a dream.

Want to be the best trader?
    Want to be the best combat pilot?
    Want to explore the galaxy?

You can, but how you get there is down to you.

It wont be a game for everybody, and is best played on a HOTAS flight stick.. but if get hooked.. say goodbye to your social life
  93. Dec 17, 2014
    Elite is back, this time with stunningly beautiful graphics and as always intense gameplay. Elite: Dangerous offers something I have been looking for for a long time, a truly open space simulation. You are free to do whatever it is you want to do, be it trading slaves, illegal chemicals and stolen goods, or punish those who do so. You can even make a living by just exploring the Milky Way,Elite is back, this time with stunningly beautiful graphics and as always intense gameplay. Elite: Dangerous offers something I have been looking for for a long time, a truly open space simulation. You are free to do whatever it is you want to do, be it trading slaves, illegal chemicals and stolen goods, or punish those who do so. You can even make a living by just exploring the Milky Way, then selling you exploration data off to others.

What you need to understand before buying this game is that you're not going to see A LOT of player interaction. There is some, but not a lot. What it does instead is what I love most about the game. It has a persistent universe ( or perhaps I should say galaxy?), where every single player shares the same economy and changes in galaxy-wide politics.
    You've depleted a belt of minerals all by yourself? Well, now it's empty for everyone else too. This is why Elite: Dangerous has to be always online. Not because you run into players every two seconds, but because you share the same galaxy.
  94. Dec 18, 2014
    I have been playing since Gamma and it has been a great experience. Frontier have delivered on creating a modern version of the original Elite game, with a fully sized Milky Way to play in. The Galaxy map alone is a work of art, and a profound experience just to zoom about and appreciate the scale of things. The local stars to Sol are accurate, and it is exciting to visit them. You canI have been playing since Gamma and it has been a great experience. Frontier have delivered on creating a modern version of the original Elite game, with a fully sized Milky Way to play in. The Galaxy map alone is a work of art, and a profound experience just to zoom about and appreciate the scale of things. The local stars to Sol are accurate, and it is exciting to visit them. You can indeed take multiple paths to wealth and glory, side with various factions, take part in a war. The mechanics of flying, docking, combat, are all sound. The visuals and sound are fantastic. You really feel alone out there in space.

That is not to say the game still needs work. Some aspects need fine tuning and some functionalities are not there yet, such as fleshed out mmo aspects, but the devs are hard at work all the time. The game itself is not for everyone though; some will find it asks too much from the player: there really is no hand holding here, but that is part of the fun for others. There are many quiet moments that the more thoughtful gamer will appreciate, such as flying close to a star to scoop fuel, seeing a sunrise from behind a planet. The immersive atmosphere is amazing.

Some peple are not happy with the devs decisions, most notably the offline game issue. I would suggest most of the 0 rated reviews stem from this. But those people need to get a grip. This is a place for reviewing the game itself, not the developer. The game is great already and will only get better. This game is kickstarted by its original creator, and is a work of passion. They clearly care about what they are doing.

I have not been so childishly excited about a gaming experience for many a year. If you love space games that make really feel you are out there lost in space, this is for you.
  95. Dec 16, 2014
    If you like games like the original Elite and want a new version with deeper game play, stunning visuals, and an epic scale then this is for you! Also, this is just the start of something even greater. So far you can trade, mine, go bounty hunting, do missions, explore the galaxy, and more. There's plenty to keep you occupied and in it for the long haul. Also, as of today the fullIf you like games like the original Elite and want a new version with deeper game play, stunning visuals, and an epic scale then this is for you! Also, this is just the start of something even greater. So far you can trade, mine, go bounty hunting, do missions, explore the galaxy, and more. There's plenty to keep you occupied and in it for the long haul. Also, as of today the full story line kicks in, so I'm expecting loads more content and opportunities for earning extra credits.

The learning curve can be quite steep, and progress can be slow but this is all expected with a truly great and immersive game such as Elite. You've really got to work towards your achievements, which I as a really positive thing because you really feel like you've earned it!

My recommendation is to buy, play and keep with it. It's been one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've ever had.
  96. Dec 23, 2014
    Best graphics, best sound, 4K and Oculus Rift DK2 support this game has it all. But it is not just great looks. It also sports 1:1 scale of our very own Milky Way. You ll be able to visit Proxima Centauri, Canis Majoris or the Orion nebula as we know them today.

Gameplay is tremendously good and satisfactory, with a great combat system that allows you the choice of what to do at every moment.

The attention to detail and the great support by the devs is best in class. Frontier are a serious developer company which means serious business and knows how to deliver in time. The support by the community has been second to none and the communication with devs in alpha, beta gamma and now is one of the best out there.
  97. Dec 24, 2014
    Elite: Dangerous has managed to pull me away for the time being from one of my all time favorite games EVE Online, and that is a huge feat. I love space sims and this one is captivating. From the amazing sound design to the graphics and game play, this title is a major accomplishment and easily one of my favorite games to come out in a long time. A very welcome and needed addition toElite: Dangerous has managed to pull me away for the time being from one of my all time favorite games EVE Online, and that is a huge feat. I love space sims and this one is captivating. From the amazing sound design to the graphics and game play, this title is a major accomplishment and easily one of my favorite games to come out in a long time. A very welcome and needed addition to the genre and one I'm very glad I backed during the Beta phases. Expand
  98. Dec 26, 2014
    Combat and dogfight is just epic, especially when I fly with friends. I cant wait for the squadron mechanics. If playing with friends now is already great, with those babies in it will be awesome.
  99. Dec 27, 2014
    Bought this game as a preorder and just started playing. Cant praise it enough. Already had my first few PVP encounters and cant get enough! I have just uninstalled SC due to the crappy development process rid of bugs and pay to win. Elite will probably satisfy my space sim needs for the foreseeable!
  100. Jan 5, 2015
    Best space sim sandbox out there at the moment. I have been playing it since late beta and I always get that "just one more mission" that makes you stay late at night most every day.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 54 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 8, 2015
    First minute the game takes your breath away and then it entertains you for another couple of hours to end up like a meditative tool for hard working individuals. What a waste and shame for a game in such beautiful environment. [Issue#253]
  2. May 11, 2015
    Everyone who played the original game back in the 80's, should be right at home. It's the 21st Century version of "Elite." But newer, uninitiated players may find it strangely desolate and repetitive. A grand space simulation, aimed at the series' hardcore fans.
  3. Apr 23, 2015
    You can focus on the journey, not the destination – even when some "road work" signs will bother you for the time being in the reincarnated Elite. But their numbers are declining with every new update so a thirty-year-old vision becomes more and more complete.