7.7

1. Feb 1, 2014
    I will preface this by stating that I am a veteran of Paradox games and purchase nearly every one of their products (you might even call me a fanboi).

This expansion adds a number of interesting features, including colonial nations, expanded native gameplay, protectorates, and a randomized new world (optional). I was mostly unimpressed in the implementation of most of these features.

Prior to this expansion, you would directly control your colonial holdings. Post-expansion, once you have settled 5 provinces in a "colonial region" (the new world is split up into various set regions), the colonies turn into an AI-controlled colonial nation. This addition, as a whole, is a nice touch. It gives your colonies their own personalities and desires outside of your own, which is appropriate. However, if you were to play one of these colonial nations, you'll realize that they're all the same. There are no unique national ideas even if you form the USA (or Brazil or Haiti, etc.). As a recurring theme among this expansion, there is a lack of depth. For example, there is an extreme deficit in colonial nation specific events.

Native gameplay has a few new features. However, after playing one of the natives, I find they are still quite boring. The migration feature is cute, allowing you to move your tribe from one province to another, but it has no real long-term value. Eventually, you realize that you can colonize adjacent provinces with your natives and then it becomes a game of just sitting around, colonizing, while you wait for the Europeans to arrive. There is truly little action in the New World, despite this expansion being devoted to it. Again, there is absolutely no Native American specific events (and in fact, they receive inappropriate European events) Furthermore, South American nations were not even touched.

Protectorates are an absolute disaster. The AI does not know how to handle them properly. For example, Muscovy will often form a protectorate with surrounding hordes rather than conquering them, as would be optimal. This system needs a bit of an overhaul. Perhaps with some proper AI programming, as well, it might work.

Finally, the randomized new world... It's quite simply ugly, unnatural, and repulsive. It follows a simple equation, it seems, in which the center of the continent is desert, followed by forests around the edge, with ugly coasts. The province borders look like the borders of Africa - straight lined, hard corners, etc.

In total, I give this game a ~5. It still needs polishing. If, some day, they improve the randomization feature for the new world, they add a plethora of events for natives and colonial nations, they add unique nations ideas for these colonial nations (it's an expansion focused on these nations, why wouldn't they think it's worthwhile!?), make the prior released American Dream DLC work with this expansion, then they might have something great. Paradox is great at post-release fixes, so there is hope that this expansion might some day rise to the quality that we have come to expect.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    For such exceptional game like EU IV was, was before patch 1.4, it's sad such "expansion" has been brought. I confirm for my experience that coalition lost their power, terrain advantages for defenders have been tweaked and the game overall got to be less simulation.

Dear Paradox. Continue this direction and you fall into a pit of **** commercial world.
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    Reviewing CoP without reviewing patch 1.4 is impossible, since they are coupled together. But I will mainly speak only about Colonial Nations, Natives and Protectorates.
    Generally, the idea is great - but the realization is dull.
    Generally, the idea is great - but the realization is dull.

1) Colonial Nations - it gives no options, it just converts any 5 provinces in a colonial region into a Colonial Nation. Since then it is is basically your overseas vassal. You can appoint governors (just as an usual republican election), there are few generic events, you can raise tariffs for adm points, raising your income and their liberty desire. Colonial Nations are very passive, they barely do anything to expand. AI is bad with it as well - previously aggressive colonizer Portugal can suddenly stop colonizing a region after according Colonial Nation has been formed. After a Colonial Nation was released independent, it immediately loses any cultural flavour. Your Vinland will become Canada with the Red Ensign as its flag, your New Norway will become USA which will immediately get an event about Independence from British. USA (and almost all other) became monarchy in my case, which is hilarious.

2) Natives - it one of the main points of the DLC/patch. Well, the natives even got no special events in their DLC. Should I continue on this one?

3) Protectorates - if a nation's tech group too low (50% + lower than yours tech group), you will not be able to vassalize it. You will only be able to create a Protectorate, which will give you 50% trade power. It is very nice to see Muscovy not conquering Kazan, but ESTABLISHING PROTECTORATE. Seriously? As well as Muslims from Maghreb countries can not vassalize Sub-Sahara Muslims, because the tech group difference is 60%. And again, there is no choice - you can not choose between protectorate/vassal.

Overall, patch brings many needed changes, but lack of testing (from insane Coalitions in 1.3 to almost non-existing Coalitions in 1.4, for example), lack of attention to the details, unprepared AI, and too much of imposing (no choice over whether or not make a Colonial Nation or rule directly) make this patch/DLC not as good as it could be.
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    This expansion adds a randomized new world that changes every new game. There is also a free patch that gives you tribes to play with and some new trade notes.

Personally I like the idea of the play with one randomized world because its a new world. Paradox Interactive has for the first time a randomized world and It looks great. But there are some minor problems with it. -Too big

-Too big provinces
    -Every randomized world looks squarish.

But there are many good things in this expansion.

-Awesome randomized worlds.
    -Many cool unique tribes.
    -The 1.4 patch makes the game fun again because in the previous patch it was not.
    -Migration
    - Unique natives building that make you stronger against the western world.

Overall I will give this expansion one 7 because the expansion is great and I know Paradox can do a better job at this. I hope to see them make more random worlds in their future games.
  5. Feb 5, 2014
    most disappointing release ever! i'm a fan of this game (1000+ hours gameplay) but the random new world map is very disappointing. i expected something at least better than the 2-decade-old "imperialism I & II" game which had a decent random map function.

1. Apr 2, 2014
    A bit light in content, this expansion concentrates on adding features that enhance gameplay in the New World. The new features make Native American nations more rewarding to play, and add an interesting possibility wherein the Europeans could be kicked off the continent.
    Europa Universalis IV is the finest strategy game on the market. And it just got better.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Conquest of Paradise is a solid, although somewhat narrowly-focused expansion.