8.0

1. May 14, 2013
    Nice theme but poorly executed.
    Here is a quote from a wiki about the games most important mechanic the review score of your game:
    "... Good quality game DOES NOT MEAN good reviews. In this game, you compete EXCLUSIVELY against your own previous high score ....Therefore, in order to get good a review score, you need to perform slightly better than your previous high score....." Which
    Nice theme but poorly executed.
    "... Good quality game DOES NOT MEAN good reviews.

Which means the worst thing you could do is making the most awesome game ever because you will have a hard time beating yourself afterwards.

Which makes the game pointless.
  2. May 13, 2013
    I really didn't like this game. You can make all kinds of improvements to your game engine and become focuses on making great games in a certain genre but the game penalizes you harshly for repeating genre combinations. So I make a great fantasy role playing game and it gets amazing reviews, I improve my game engine with things like rich backstory, character development, and otherI really didn't like this game. You can make all kinds of improvements to your game engine and become focuses on making great games in a certain genre but the game penalizes you harshly for repeating genre combinations. So I make a great fantasy role playing game and it gets amazing reviews, I improve my game engine with things like rich backstory, character development, and other aspects pertinent to role playing games but when I make another fantasy role playing game it gives me terrible scores because I'm repeating myself. This isn't at all similar to what game development is like. The fact that I have to go from fantasy role playing games to making a casual virtual pet game for kids in order to have success is ridiculous. If any of this game was reality, companies like Bioware, Blizzard, and Maxis would have tanked after their first game. I'm sorry, but the mechanics in this game are ridiculous and it just makes the game feel clunky and broken. Expand
  3. May 4, 2013
    This game starts out fun but as you continue the fun slowly disappears and when it decides that it's gone the game hits you like a train wreck. Suddenly games that would've been doing well are getting 4's and 5's for no apparent reason. You'll try and sink more money into the next game to make it successful however it doesn't end up mattering. In the end the game has you sinking tons ofThis game starts out fun but as you continue the fun slowly disappears and when it decides that it's gone the game hits you like a train wreck. Suddenly games that would've been doing well are getting 4's and 5's for no apparent reason. You'll try and sink more money into the next game to make it successful however it doesn't end up mattering. In the end the game has you sinking tons of money into everything it can think and you end up bankrupt. You have to pay to make game engines to take advantage of new features then for some ridiculous reason you have to pay each time you want to use the features of your game engine in a game that you're making. All of that while having to pay increasing salary to each of your staff members. This is the only game that has frustrated me to the point of actually making an account and writing a review on how bad it is. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    This game really does show a lot of penitential, but the game falls shout because of the laziness of developers. The game is fun and somewhat addictive, but the rating system is gives you no information about how to improve your game (ass well as report) and there is no statistics at all.
  5. Feb 2, 2014
    While the game begins fun, whimsical, and simplistic, the game begins to suffer after you play a bit longer. In short, the game's system is extremely fickle, unpredictable at times, and utterly arbitrary.

The limited "topics" do little if anything to enhance gameplay and instead only serve as an artificial block for creativity - if you want to succeed at the game, you do not get many chances to make the games you truly want in many cases. You instead must settle for the topics you have to work with. In addition, the way topics are implemented penalizes you for thinking outside the box. While "X topic only goes with X method of gameplay" may be a line of thinking that is popular among some real life publishers and developers, blending unusual topics with different game styles has proven successful in the past, and gamers shouldn't be penalized for wanting to try unusual combinations.

The game is extremely difficult if you aren't sticking to common themes. According to the wiki and guides written to help players build a successful company, the game essentially penalizes you for making too many good games - you are only competing with your own score, and competition does not actually exist. Your company single-handedly decides what the bar is for games and that makes it extremely hard to do well throughout the game if you get a good start early on. You will spend a long time trying to recapture the same success of your first game, and this will force you to pick combinations along the same lines, if not remake constant sequels - but never too close together, as making games with similar topics too close to one another causes a backlash.

Individual employee stats are horribly implemented. "Leveling up" does not improve stats, it only serves as an experience limiter to determine what specializations you can pick up by pumping up stats through training with your usually very small allotment of research points. While a little training seems justifiable for the purposes of keeping your team competitive and for helping them achieve specialization, this game takes it to an extreme.

In other words, the people you hire early on, despite constantly gaining "experience" with the tech and the industry, don't actually get any better just from making games. This means when you get the bigger office, the smartest move is to fire all your veterans and hire kids from the university to replace them. This is because the "industry veterans" on your team since you got out of the garage will invariably have laughably poor stats compared to the specialists you can hire immediately from the university. I could understand wanting to supplement by developed team with a few new kids for fresh new ideas, but again, this game takes it to an extreme.

The timeflow goes EXTREMELY fast. Even a moment or two of idle "watching" your team can severely impact your progress if you want to get things done while story events are still happening - you need to be giving orders every step of the way, or your team will sit there doing nothing for entire weeks at a time. It's enough to make you want to fire them for their inefficiency, but hiring new people costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, just to get the message out that you need new people. Even though this is basically a ton of peoples dream jobs. Talk about an immersion killer. Your team is also limited to 6 at endgame, which is an unbelievably small team given the scale of the industry by that point. Again, what is immersion?

Your team ALSO cannot be sent out for their "vacations" preemptively, and can only be sent off when they start complaining and losing efficiency - to make matter worse you cannot delay the release of your games when this happens, meaning that unless you want to let your team piss around and do nothing but collect a paycheck for a little while first, you risk them needing a vacation in the middle of development, hurting the max points that go into making the game good. It would have been nice to be able to preemptively give them a little time off before a long development cycle to prevent burnout, but such plans in management never occur to your character no matter how many times issues arise.

The development cycle is repetitive and and constant no matter the game/topic/engine/size. You churn out games every few months in the beginning and maybe one or two a year if you're working optimally later on. There's way to develop more than one game at a time even when your team is big enough to support AAA games. The decisions for what games work best for what systems are arbitrary and contrived at worst and wish-fulfillment at best (I don't, to this day, have a clue what makes the Dreamcast so good for simulation based gaming, nor have the faintest idea what makes the PC bad for casual gaming). I could go on, but character limits. Suffice to say that this this journey through the game development world isn't going to end as nicely as you'd hoped.
  6. Dec 30, 2013
    Rating: 3 points.
    First, good things, interesting idea for a game, and quite fun at the start.
    Rating: 3 points.
    First, good things, interesting idea for a game, and quite fun at the start.

Why is it bad? First, the way your game gets popular is completely random, and you have little chance to change it. Meaning if you start doing bad, you are in the vortex and WON'T be getting out of it. The reviews the "reviewers" give don't give any info on how your game could get better and only say "Your game is great!" or "Your game absolutely sucks!" or similar things. That doesn't help. If you have bad luck, you will have bad luck in this game. If you have good luck, you will have bad luck in this game.

Overall, good game at the start, but it gets tedious and devastating around the middle.
  7. Aug 14, 2014
    I would love to enjoy this game and play it in full but it has one of the most frustrating mechanics in any video game. The game calculates the score that your game receives based on two main things, how close you get to the best technology to design ratio and by comparing it to your last released game. The giant flaw in this system is that the best method of playing is to make games notI would love to enjoy this game and play it in full but it has one of the most frustrating mechanics in any video game. The game calculates the score that your game receives based on two main things, how close you get to the best technology to design ratio and by comparing it to your last released game. The giant flaw in this system is that the best method of playing is to make games not as good as they could be in order to allow you to make your next game get a higher score easier. This is one of the most frustrating systems I have ever seen in a game. The rest of the elements of this game are great and I would love it but this one mechanic makes the game unbearably annoying, punishing me for doing well. Expand
  8. Dec 29, 2014
    GDT gives me very little reason to keep playing. The visuals are incredibly bland, the few animations and pop-ups that do exist lack context or character, in game feedback is sparse, and the underlying logic of the game appears flawed. In a word, it's unsatisfying. In another, it's boring. So, two hours after dropping £2.50 on it in the Steam sale, I'm done for good.

From what I could

From what I could garner about the underlying mechanics of the game, success is based upon the correct combination of topic, platform, audience, genre, and then a variety of in game variables such as choosing to focus on dialogue, level design etc. The problem is that instead of having much at all to do about games or business management, GDT is all about making a series of guesses about correct combinations. It isn't about making your own games at all, or running your own start-up, but instead about replicating game history, as the only guiding principle a player really has for success is their own knowledge of what games were historically successful on what console at what times and for what reason. It's hour after hour of tapping boxes, getting one-liner reviews, a good or a bad score, then rinsing and repeating. The only "reward" for the player is the prospect of a good review and an occasional change of scenery. The pace of the game is very fast as well which, whilst irritating in some ways as it encourages button spam, serves to mask the one-dimensional game mechanics.

Certain bizarre occurrences include harsh penalties for making game "sequels," or specialising in a particular genre, obligatory wage hikes for staff, no system for managing overheads and entering both the gaming and management industry completely blind! Everything is trial and error. Instead of having an option to research the status of the gaming industry at a given time to plan a game's structure and release date, I just have to take a guess and cross my fingers. Even when training staff, I don't know what it is I'm actually training them in (!) until their training is complete. If I knew as little as my avatar does, with zero knowledge of game or management, there's no way I'd create a start-up in my garage, yet I feel as if this is what I'm supposed to believe.

A game of this sort could work very well, but it needs a serious injection of personality. As it is, I honestly wouldn't even play it for free.
  9. Jul 4, 2013
    Let's get this out of the way first, the whole pirate thing with this game is extremely ironic because it's just a carbon copy of Game Dev Story. Anyways, this game is pretty fun at the early stages, and some in the later stages too. But it gets repetitive and boring really fast. You end up just pushing out game after game just to pay the rent. It quickly stops becoming about what kind ofLet's get this out of the way first, the whole pirate thing with this game is extremely ironic because it's just a carbon copy of Game Dev Story. Anyways, this game is pretty fun at the early stages, and some in the later stages too. But it gets repetitive and boring really fast. You end up just pushing out game after game just to pay the rent. It quickly stops becoming about what kind of game you want to make into how much money you can make. Especially in the end game the review scores just get ridiculous. It's almost impossible to not over work your workers. If you over work them you get worse reviews and end up with nothing but 1-6s. There are some cool end game things you can do but I don't think a lot of people will waste the time and repetitiveness to get there. This game is below average. Remember 5/10 is average and I agave it a 4 so it is slightly below average. Expand
  10. May 14, 2013
    Absolute garbage, beyond the idea and interface. This is essentially a knockoff of the iOS game Game Dev Story and it makes no effort to hide it.

The major issues with this game are that the ways to make a successful game are almost completely nonsensical, and a viewing through the raw data is the only way, excepting extreme luck, to have much success. These include such oddities as the fact that any non-action title on the NES or SNES will flop, or how the PS2 is apparently only for action games and RPGs.

The only thing notable about this game is the guilting of pirates the devs have done in an attempt to get attention, which I find ironic considering that they've done something far worse than piracy, they've ripped off another game.

Avoid this, play the original game (Game Dev Story) instead.
  11. Aug 30, 2013
    I'm giving this game the same score I received time and time again in-game. It's not fun, and I don't feel tutorials are required to succeed on the single difficulty. It's ironic as an independent gaming company the developers of this game didn't account for positive in-game reviews that are often given indie games that focus on game design and less on graphics.
  12. Sep 20, 2013
    Just doesn't have the charm and pretty much a rip-off of Game Dev Story. The graphics are boring and generic, and those aspects of games such as creativity and fun are missing. Really quite dissapointing.
  13. Aug 31, 2013
    Well, I was under no illusions, I'm a fan of the Kairosoft "Game Dev Story", popular on android, it just annoys me that it's only a mobile game! I love the concept but wanted more depth, more features and to play on my desktop.

Then I found this! I didn't expect it to be an original game. bought this because I thought (and hoped) it was an expanded, desktop PC knock-off. And it is, 90% of it is just a knock-off of the Kairosoft android game.

Unfortuantely it's not that good Instead of more, it feels like less. You don't seem to have the same level of control or different ways to do things as you do in GDS. Also, review scores seem to be pulled from nowhere, and there are some issues with balance research points are way too hard to get for example. It's hard to figure out what you can do to improve from within the game itself, and your own thinking, and that's a major sin for a tycoon game.

Most importantly however, it's just not that fun. It lacks the charm of "Game Dev Story", there's little incentive to keep on playing, and that's the biggest let down :(

So there we have it. It's only a fiver, I suppose it's almost worth it, but I'd rather pay Kairosoft a tenner for a desktop clone of their game!
  14. Nov 28, 2013
    I was about to buy this game on Steam, added it to my cart and all. Then I went over to Metacritic and Wikipedia to read a bit about it and saw their anti-piracy bollocks. So if any of you genius developers/marketing people or whoevers decision it was to be an ignorant are reading this, I guess you can only blame yourselves for losing another sale, eh?

I downloaded it and it's okay,

I downloaded it and it's okay, nothing special, I expected a bit more to be honest. The only reason I'm giving it 1 instead of 0 is because I'm nice like that. This is one of those rare games that I most definitely wouldn't buy, even if I did end up liking it because of the developers' moves.

So congratulations to the developers for losing a sale!
  15. May 30, 2013
    A neat concept turns out to be one of the worst 'tycoon' games I have played in a long time. The game actually starts out a little fun at first, seeing the tribute to retro gaming and whatnot is quite cool and coming with witty game titles is fun too, but this all gets extremely old and boring once the game ramps up on difficulty, very quickly. The game is too punishing. Every littleA neat concept turns out to be one of the worst 'tycoon' games I have played in a long time. The game actually starts out a little fun at first, seeing the tribute to retro gaming and whatnot is quite cool and coming with witty game titles is fun too, but this all gets extremely old and boring once the game ramps up on difficulty, very quickly. The game is too punishing. Every little mistake costs you tons of money, so don't even bother experimenting. Time passes by WAY too quickly. Seriously, a month goes by literally every 20-30 seconds, which just drains you of cash. On top of this, everything is incredibly expensive, from new engines that you constantly have to make, to staff salaries which will be raised out of your control. How is this a tycoon game again? I don't even get to choose whether or not my staff gets a raise? What if I am really short on cash and cannot afford it? Too bad, the game does it for you. Truly, this is pathetic game in terms of 'Tycoon' games. If you want a good tycoon game, go to the ultimate of Tycoon's, Roller Coaster tycoon, which can be bought for quite cheap anyway, given the quality. This game may seem 'cheap', but there is a reason. The quality just isn't there. The presentation is bland beyond belief, the interface is clunky, the way the game is executed is very poorly done, it is just a bad game. Truly though, the biggest flaw by far is the insane difficult and horrid time system, which goes by incredibly fast. I was literally losing 51K every 30 seconds or so and I really did not have much control over it. Then, it went up to 61K, just because my staff member received a mandatory raise due to leveling up. Again, how is this a tycoon game if I cannot even decided that important aspect? Another horrid detail is the 'review' system. We really are never told how it works, what went wrong in the case of a bad game, and how much it affects the sales of a game.

$7.99 or not, I found this to be a frustrating experience that not only angered me, but, once I went bankrupt for the 7th time early on, it bored me as well. Many will disagree, but I say stay away.
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    This is a lazy, broken, game that is way, way to easy. The game is luck based,not skilled based-if the developer actually put effort into designing this game, it could be really good.But it's not 'really good'. Not anywhere near it.
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a complete ripoff of Game dev story.. next in there series of games pocket league story rip off make a football (soccer) team from the ground up and grand prix story make a racing team and get to f1 world championship.. I feel sorry for kairsoft they've been totally ripped off
  18. May 7, 2013
    This game was really fun for a couple hours but I was bored after that.
    CONs:
    - The notification system is annoying because each message stops the gameplay until you click on "ok" (you can't even use enter to close those messages). - Review system is nothing more than just random number generator which is not affected by actual game quality. I don't know how to improve or what should be
    This game was really fun for a couple hours but I was bored after that.
    CONs:
    - Review system is nothing more than just random number generator which is not affected by actual game quality. I don't know how to improve or what should be improved in order to get higher scores. (After the 30 year story line review system works as a stupid monkey.)
    - When you have Research Lab and Hardware lab the performance goes under zero. HTML5 and JS may not the best choice.
    - Why I can "update" existing game engines? Seriously, I have plenty of game engines named: 1+, 1++, 1#, 2+
    - The "click anywhere" menu system should be improved because now it's not a user friendly stuff. (eg opens slowly, instantly closes after open).
    -The game itself adds nothing to Game Dev Story's formula. Which is really sad.
    PROs:
    - The graphics is decent for a game like that.
    - Polished interface and gameplay compared to Game Dev Story. (Although not the best.)
    - Potential "Indie Bundle" game for few cents.
  19. May 7, 2013
    I am a big fan of simulation game.

Game Dev Tycoon is fun at first but after stage 1, it gets repetitive. It becomes a click fest after that, If you enjoy clicking and repeating over and over, then this might be the right game for you. You just keep developing games over and over to keep the money coming in in order to pay the rents. It is fun the first 20 games you develop. No
    I am a big fan of simulation game.

No offence to the devs, this is just my honest opinion.
  20. Aug 28, 2013
    Game Dev Tycoon is a clone of Game Dev Story, however that is not the reason for the score i am giving it. The mechanics in this game are WAY to simplistic like it was made by someone who has no idea what they are doing. The way the game determines what review the game you make receives is just plain pathetic all it does is takes the highest review you have gotten and compares the twoGame Dev Tycoon is a clone of Game Dev Story, however that is not the reason for the score i am giving it. The mechanics in this game are WAY to simplistic like it was made by someone who has no idea what they are doing. The way the game determines what review the game you make receives is just plain pathetic all it does is takes the highest review you have gotten and compares the two game dev and tech scores. You are literally competing against YOURSELF there are NO competitors trying to outdo you in this game like their are in Gamebiz and Game Dev Tycoon can not even live up to the quality of Game Dev Story! Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is almost exactly the same with kairosoft game dev available in appstore and playstore, I enjoy the kairosoft version more, this one just don't feel right.
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    It's an over grown flash game with no depth. The interface boils down to sliders which are ultimately meaningless in terms of scoring and it could just have easily been about any product.
  23. Aug 24, 2013
    PC version of an Android game that has already been available for awhile. More importantly it doesn't break any new grounds in an industry already flooded with simulator style games.

My advice? Get "Game Developer Story" for Android or iOS. It's only $5.00, it's a fun game, it looks better and it plays better. You can get even software that emulates the Android OS on your desktop and links to your Google Account so you don't have to re-buy it all.
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    A blatant rip-off of the much better Game Dev Story by Kairosoft. Ironically, the "makers" of this game saw fit to release a torrent of the game with modified version of the game that causes players go bankrupt at a certain point in the campaign. That's right, they released a system to prevent pirates form enjoying the game they pirated. Irony at its best.
  25. May 13, 2017
    >Creates the most advanced engine
    >Best story in the market
    >Best graphics
    >most intelligent AI

>Crits gives 2 by saying "it could have been better"

disgusting.
  26. Aug 31, 2013
    Guys, I don't blame you guys giving high scores to a knockoff like this, but if you played Kairosoft's Game Dev Story, you will feel disgusted. At the first sight of the summary and screenshots, I knew it plagiarized Game Dev Story. Everything essential is actually the same, 4 major features as Creativity Fun Music Art (and "bug" aside of course) turns into technology and design andGuys, I don't blame you guys giving high scores to a knockoff like this, but if you played Kairosoft's Game Dev Story, you will feel disgusted. At the first sight of the summary and screenshots, I knew it plagiarized Game Dev Story. Everything essential is actually the same, 4 major features as Creativity Fun Music Art (and "bug" aside of course) turns into technology and design and whatever sh!t Really? I cannot believe people vote for this absolute crap on Steam's green light project. You might argue there is no need to compare an iOS game to a PC one. Believe me, Game Dev Story is way better than this. Go figure Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    What a THIEF!!! This game is completely a rip-off of the game ‘Game Dev Story’ developed by Kairosoft. Even poor quality!!! Good idea is a spirit for a game, and this game just plagiarized others'. This game can show up on steam, is a big big big shame in Game industry and history!
  28. Jul 9, 2013
    this is my worst nightmare, mobile phone game made by a inexperienced developer .

GDT is up there with game tycoon (2003) for being one the worst tycoon games on a pc ever and i'm not joking, the game is a grind, the years by to fast, whether or not you made a good game is almost completely random and the micromanagement that makes a tycoon game a tycoon game is strip down to the vary basics

overall: on a mobile phone it would get a 6 or a 7 but on a pc it gets 1 because there is better tycoon games on the pc for the same price if not cheaper
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Not only this game is a clone of a much better game, it´s programmed very badly, slowing down your PC performance to a minimum at higher levels of action. If you critisize the developers or question the legal part of potential copyright infridgement, you might get banned from forum. Censorship is something I don ´t expect from honest developers and this must be mentioned. Selling likeNot only this game is a clone of a much better game, it´s programmed very badly, slowing down your PC performance to a minimum at higher levels of action. If you critisize the developers or question the legal part of potential copyright infridgement, you might get banned from forum. Censorship is something I don ´t expect from honest developers and this must be mentioned. Selling like thieves and behaving like dictators deserves to be pirated. Don ´t buy this crap. Expand
  30. Apr 18, 2016
    This game was perfect when it first came out but as of the latest version they've actually increased the difficulty. I've been playing GDT for days and I hire good staff, adjust the sliders appropriately, etc, but I always get poor reviews.

This game is not fun anymore, it's just too difficult and no way to win.
  31. Aug 23, 2014
    I thought this was a remake of a Game Dev Story by Kiarosoft, it's actually a completely mindless unoriginal copycat POS I have ever seen. It's one thing to go for the same genre and subject, but another to also steal every single idea. I sincerely hope you guys paid some licensing fee otherwise I hope you get sued and go bankrupt. 0/10, uninspired, unoriginal, disappointing, meh,I thought this was a remake of a Game Dev Story by Kiarosoft, it's actually a completely mindless unoriginal copycat POS I have ever seen. It's one thing to go for the same genre and subject, but another to also steal every single idea. I sincerely hope you guys paid some licensing fee otherwise I hope you get sued and go bankrupt. 0/10, uninspired, unoriginal, disappointing, meh, borderline thieving. Expand
  32. Jan 19, 2015
    Well, this game is so funny, but the fun disappears when you see that you are in bankrupt. The game is a mediocre simulation of developing games, and isn't realistic or fun. Difficult to recommend.
  33. Dec 15, 2014
    Tycoon without Tycoon experience...
    Simulation genre given without actual simulation...
    Speaks about history without mentioning the most important parts (early experiments, arcade machines, famous crashes and booms)... Speaks about the important systems without mentioning Atari, Magnavox, and several other early / important platforms. Speaks about a story without meaningful events and
    Tycoon without Tycoon experience...
    Simulation genre given without actual simulation...
    Speaks about a story without meaningful events and and turning points...

Boring and repetitive gameplay with little charm from design, characters or technology...

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 16, 2014
    Taking into account the quite low price and the almost non-existent technical requirements, Game Dev Tycoon is a good and above all original game, albeit without great pretensions.
  2. May 12, 2014
    However, I don't really think Tycoon really wants to be more than ‘a glimpse' at video game production, and any attempt to comment on the industry from this dull, monotonous experience fails to hit its mark.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 24, 2013
    What is it like to start with a few thousand dollars and end up in an office full of people producing multi-million gaming hits? This game lets you find out and makes it worth your while. [Nov 2013]