5.1

1. Dec 18, 2017
    This is a game that plays on one of the worst emotions for playing video games. It plays on your frustration. In this game you are a man in a cauldron with a sledgehammer. Your only objective is to climb a mountain. There will be many reviews that give this game a horrible score, but that is because they gave up. I suppose there are two things someone should know when coming into thisThis is a game that plays on one of the worst emotions for playing video games. It plays on your frustration. In this game you are a man in a cauldron with a sledgehammer. Your only objective is to climb a mountain. There will be many reviews that give this game a horrible score, but that is because they gave up. I suppose there are two things someone should know when coming into this game. One is that the creator purposefully put a input lag on the hammer to make the game harder, and two is that this game's only objective is to cause you pain. There are several places throughout the mountain that will lead you back to the beginning. Taking these two things into consideration, I still believe that you should try this game. Be warned this game is a challenge, and to overcome it is to feel bliss. Expand
  2. Jan 7, 2018
    So I'm writing this review because I see a lot of people praising the game as hard. And I think it's not really. It's not really that hard, and when it is, it is all for the bad reasons, just like half of the roguelites polluting the indie scene (and often the most popular ones at that...).

The game tries to mock the modern consumer society for needing fresh meat, even if it's garbage, 24 times a day if not more. In that respect the game is so right. From what I can understand, the game (developer) assumes it is better than most other games, that it is hard and rewarding. It sports a generic asset aesthetic, on purpose, to further the narrative of the game.

However, the game being hard is hardly true. It's just about repeating over and over until you get it ALL right. Just as if any time you didn't get an A+ in school you had to start over your assignment/test. So any small mistake is punished severely since there is no checkpoint and just a couple mistakes could get you back at the very beginning of the game. I haven't found this to be particularly rewarding.

Sadly the controls are also kind of terrible. People say they're skill-based because in this trash-loving generation of internet, some people just love to look elite and yell it on the roofs. Whenever I completed a truly hard game, I never felt the need to yell it on the internet. I'll talk about it to my friends maybe, but mostly I'll be filled with joy. If a game community act like prick and start saying "git gud" there's a big chance the game is hard for all the wrong reasons like this or Enter the Gungeon to mention only this one.

While the base idea to move around with this hammer is great, too often a movement you did with your mouse will register too late (because something was blocking when you made it), sometimes sending you flying the opposite way you should.

Yes the controls can be mastered. Does this mean it's skill-based ? Hardly so in my opinion. It's mostly muscle memory and map knowledge. While I admire muscle memory especially in speedrunners, it's something most people can acquire with enough training, and is not in my opinion a good game design recipe. If this was made specifically for speedrunners though, good job, as it has all the elements of a speedrunnable game.

Now, I said before the game thinks it's better. Well, I'll tell you frankly, I don't know for sure. The game's tone may actually be mocking both the garbage loving crown but also the elitist self-loving crowd.

I am sadly in agreement with this view of the world. On one side people will buy the same Call of Duty every year, not properly informing themselves on what other good games there could be, and god knows there are better games and even better FPS, even without a masochistic difficulty. On the other side there's a bunch of people praising games with random and completely dumbly unfair difficulties just to tell the world how good they are because they beat it. Even though most of the time it was probably just a good lucky run or learning by heart the game by playing 100 times or much more. Seems like humanity is hellbent on being extreme and can't find a middle ground in ANYTHING.

Edit : I changed my rating, because I think the double mockery of modern society, one in narration and the other in gameplay, is brilliant
  3. Jan 23, 2018
    Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is an emotional journey that is a little too hard. I loved when Bennett Foddy talked to me about getting over harder things in life and actually appreciated his commentary a lot. I felt a bit defeated around the cave part and despite trying for half an hour, I could not do it possibly because I'm playing on a mac. Overall, I loved the experience butGetting Over It with Bennett Foddy is an emotional journey that is a little too hard. I loved when Bennett Foddy talked to me about getting over harder things in life and actually appreciated his commentary a lot. I felt a bit defeated around the cave part and despite trying for half an hour, I could not do it possibly because I'm playing on a mac. Overall, I loved the experience but unfortunately it got a bit too hard. I wish there were ways to bypass places after a given amount of time or it was just a bit easier. Overall, I would give it a 8.4. Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2019
    This game is a masterpiece for the intended audience. It is definitely terrible for everybody else, but for the almost stubborn people that won't give up this game is perfect.

The controls are strange to get used to, but once you do they are razor tight. Most of the reviews complaining about the game's controls must not have played long enough, which is a shame.
  5. Mar 30, 2019
    while hard as hell
    it is simply beutiful
    it is rewarding
    it is a great game and a meaningful beatiful game
    try it out
  6. May 12, 2019
    The game offers a great message when you put in the time to listen to the "story" of this game. This is one of those games that is very satisfying to finish. For those who get angry easily at video games this probably isn't the game for you.

The only thing that's keeping this game from being a 10 is the lack of replay-ability. It's a one and done game so you feel ripped off to an extent because you'll never play it again until you forget about it and just so happen to stumble across it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. CD-Action
    Feb 8, 2018
    The climbing mechanics are satisfying, the frustration you’ll have to endure on your road to mastery is sweet, and Foddy’s commentary is intelligent, but mouse controls are physically tiring and need getting used to. [01/2018, p.65]