6.7

1. Apr 20, 2018
    Honestly after a few hours I had to get a refund while I could. And honestly what I got to complain about is what everyone else did who disliked the game too.

Honestly I think there was too much hype and still is given the excessive positive reviews. This doesn't feel like an Outlast game. It IS a good game. But DOESN'T feel like an Outlast game and is downright f'ing annoying to play.

I beat the original Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC on Insane mode (where there's no saves and if you die any point in the game you automatically restart to the very beginning). I tell y' what that was at times frustrating but this game is nothing but annoying compared. It loses it's scare factor quick and as many others pointed out it's nothing but a trial and error game. This feels more like the failing Resident Evil franchise.

The NPCs are kinda lowkey stupid. The first game they weren't that smart either but it was a lot more terrifying to be chased and being hunted for. This game I'm not on edge at all and just play casually rather "..." like any normal game. The fun factor vanishes, and the purpose of it being a horror game in general. The trial and error ruins the experience the most.

Graphics were beautiful; however. And do love the reviewing of recordings. Also think the healing factor was a neat idea however kinda unused.

Y'know I yapped enough with my refund and will just stop here though.
  2. May 1, 2017
    In real life, if a polio crazy person attack you. Will you be scare or hurt? unable to defend yourself?
    Apparently this game main character is either grow up with only water diet, or he's mental ill and has no self-preservation mechanism and can be kill by polio person.

It's like the team who did Outlast 1 resign and left the studio with 100% fresh meat who never watch/play/read horror media. Gore is not horror, poo and pee is not horror, and being kill by countryside religion person who are thin they can be blow by wind and gone like sheet of paper is not horror.

In 1st Outlast, it's logical that the player cannot defend themselves from those 'superhuman from medical experiment psychopath'. Cause they are 'strong and create that way'. But here, it's stupid religion person who are 'strong' because they believe their faith make them strong (no, you can fly no matter how hard you believe you can fly).

Remember how Outlast 1 fist 10 min is? It start with the main character driving into this "quarantine" hospital. This set the premise that whatever lurk inside that area, it's "officially acknowledge" to be so dangerous that the authority decide to keep people out of it while they're working on solution. Then when the player sneak in, he was greeted by "leftover" such as corpse of full growth person killed in brutal way / environment destruction that look like a work of natural disaster and such to stimulate player to believe that whatever could had done these thing must be very strong. And finally when the real culprit show up, the first action he did was "showing of strength" by throwing a full grown (player) man flying through wooden frame window (something a person with sledgehammer found difficult to destroy like in this scene). In Outlast 1 the game clearly show and convince player that he's the weak here using this clever scene.

Then what did Outlast 2 do? None of the above.
    The game start by showing many people watching the player, and do nothing.
    All gore player found is done on the weak (baby/child) who can't protect themselves.
    Even the first cinematic death didn't work. Why? Because the process is so slow and ineffective. Slow death didn't always result in horror, it can result in "showing of weakness of the performer". In Outlast 1, the cinematic killing scene is slow, because the culprit wanted it to be slowed so he can enjoy it. While in Outlast 2, it's slow because the culprit seem to be too weak to do it swiftly (remind that the culprit outright try to kill the deadman, and the deadman almost didn't resist, yet it took so long).

Everything in Outlast 2 look so weak and fragile that any 'normal' human being can just club-stomp his/her way pass those stupid/muscle weak people back to safely with only a few bruise. The locked wood door is so rotten that a accident kick would crumble the whole door frame.
    The unbelievable-ness of these thing take all the immersive from the game. It's like watching ant horror movie where said ant is hunted by group of crazy ant, you can't related to them and can possibly only laugh.

The only redeem value is the graphic technology. The water physic is impressive. Unfortunately, everything is so dark that all of those beautiful thing can never by seem most of the time. (and the camera night vision make everything blur in black and black/green)
  3. Apr 30, 2017
    Simply put, this is a worse Outlast than the first one. It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. A 6 hours gameplay of running, hiding, healing yourself with bandages and "reloading" the camera with batteries. Add an hour for reading notes if you care. On top of that, it ends itself with a more confusing and a stupid ending too. Perfect. Besides, for me personally, I wanted to see theSimply put, this is a worse Outlast than the first one. It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. A 6 hours gameplay of running, hiding, healing yourself with bandages and "reloading" the camera with batteries. Add an hour for reading notes if you care. On top of that, it ends itself with a more confusing and a stupid ending too. Perfect. Besides, for me personally, I wanted to see the developers bring more into Outlast than just a new, un-inspiring, confusing and bland story. The game still does not have combat, no way to dodge or block attacks. You have to run and hide. Most of the time you die or get hit randomly. No weapons of any sort either. The game contains a good setting and an atmosphere for a horror game, but it lacks variety in that aspect as well. Disappointed to say the least. If you are looking for a better Outlast, you’ve got the first one and its DLC. If you are looking for a pretty good survival horror game, you have Resident Evil 7. Thanks for reading! Expand
  4. Apr 25, 2017
    Look, I am not even joking here. If you want a chase, hide and seek simulator, then Outlast 2 is PERFECT for you. It simply is that. Outlast 2 fans are calling it a chase simulator on Reddit. Aside from the fact that the game presents one of the most forgettable, boring and pathetic stories of all time, it even tells it confusingly enough to end it with a stupid, "question marks spam"Look, I am not even joking here. If you want a chase, hide and seek simulator, then Outlast 2 is PERFECT for you. It simply is that. Outlast 2 fans are calling it a chase simulator on Reddit. Aside from the fact that the game presents one of the most forgettable, boring and pathetic stories of all time, it even tells it confusingly enough to end it with a stupid, "question marks spam" worthy kind of ending. The story is just... A BIG MEH from beginning to end. The voice acting, the cast... another BIG MEH. The gameplay, 6 hours of running. LITERALLY RUNNING and a bit of hiding. Seriously, if you buy this game thinking it would be as good as the first or thinking it’s a survival horror game as good as Resident Evil 7, then you will be so disappointed. You want a generic walking simulator with some cheap jump scares, this might just be the thing for ya. Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2017
    Absolutely atrocious. Huge step backward for the franchise. Only masochists will enjoy this slog through hillbilly country. Love games of this nature, but after getting stabbed with a pick-axe 20 times in the same section, the uninstall button in all its glorious brilliance was the only recompense to this harrowing experience.
  6. May 3, 2022
    RUN !

A game is all about running!
    I played the first one twice and it was so damn scary + less frustrating.
    After 6 hours of playing I decided to stop because it was not scary anymore, only frustrating!!
    Also the story isn't that compelling .. I don't usually leave a game unfinished but life is too short to spend it on a frustrating running away game.
  7. May 2, 2017
    First off let me just say that this games looks and sounds amazing but in terms of gameplay and story it is incredibly disappointing. The "Gameplay" consist of nothing more than running away from underdevolved and unscary enemies and struggling to figure out where to go in poorly mapped environments which feels very painful and frustrating especially in later levels. The story is poorlyFirst off let me just say that this games looks and sounds amazing but in terms of gameplay and story it is incredibly disappointing. The "Gameplay" consist of nothing more than running away from underdevolved and unscary enemies and struggling to figure out where to go in poorly mapped environments which feels very painful and frustrating especially in later levels. The story is poorly explained and has a terrible ending that answerers no questions and makes it so we will have to wait for some stupid expansion pack to come out and explain what really happened. Expand
  8. Jun 5, 2017
    It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. 6 hours of running, hiding , healing yourself , watching corpses.
    The atmosphere is good but so so soooooooooooooo boring, u actually dont know what to do , the game itself dont give u clues to follow, and sometimes in the game u dont know what to do.

I PREFER THE 1st ONE
  9. May 13, 2017
    Let's be objective. Outlast 2 I waited. waited and hoped that the developers can give the genre new life, to do something new. I've been trying to find in Outlast 2 something good, but I don't understand these positive reviews on Steam. The game did for 4 years. What were they doing all this time? Probably the village was painted. Better graphics than the first part, but you almost all theLet's be objective. Outlast 2 I waited. waited and hoped that the developers can give the genre new life, to do something new. I've been trying to find in Outlast 2 something good, but I don't understand these positive reviews on Steam. The game did for 4 years. What were they doing all this time? Probably the village was painted. Better graphics than the first part, but you almost all the time awake in the dark or awake to look through a night vision camera. Darkness does not scare, but rather annoying. Besides the batteries over quickly enough.

The game is not frightening. The atmosphere is, but it's not scary. The constant hiding from enemies, the obligatory dull chase. The developers want to go for brutality,but the brutality is not terrible, and certainly can not surprise me, for example, a person who often plays horror and watching them in the cinema. Show you the blood of dismemberment and you'll be blissed out. What kind of primitive? For its genre the game is very big! I drowned hide and seek and chase, tired of the enemies, killing the first time. The game has no charismatic villains! In the same DLS was a cannibal and bridegroom. Yes, even Chris from the original was colorful. Can praise some notes - sometimes they're awful. But the plot Suchy and dull, with terrible konsovskiy. I thought the developers would at least cover the topic of cults. But if you are expecting a strong plot - it's not here. The game is hide-and-seek and running. All. Boring, monotonous and not interesting.

The developers were from inventory, which is good. Now we can see how much is left of battery and bandages (now you need to treat). But it was in Аlone in the dark 2008, but it's still a good year. We are the journalist and we are now using the camera recorded eerie scenes that can be peresmatrivat with the comments of the protagonist.

Outlast 2 is a boring repeat of the same. I wouldn't want to compare this game and Resident Evil7, but RE7 I was happy (and let the end of the game rolls). I was waiting for Outlast 2, hoping that they will bring something new to the genre, but no. The best in the series remains DLC Whistleblower. Yes, Outlast 2 is cheap, but it is better to spend the money for Little nightmares - it really is incredible, atmospheric and scary at times. Outlast 2 game for streamers. So people looked at their screams, and then bought the game. The game is not frightening, you rather fall asleep, yet awake to play it.
  10. Apr 26, 2017
    I'm a big fan of the first Outlast and I played Whistleblower which I enjoyed very much. I started this game with huge expectations that were soon crashed by the same developer that made the game and I say this because the game has an insistent obsession with making me sick of it and wanting to turn it off.
    There is no redeeming value, the new gameplay functionality is completely
    There is no redeeming value, the new gameplay functionality is completely useless. Inventory is useless, the mic is useless, hide is 50% useless now, blocking doors with locks only last for 2 more seconds, 1-hit kill on almost all the enemies. You die 3 times more than the first Outlast and you have to endure a 5 second death so instead of being scared you end up being frustrated and just plain mad.
    The character is an imbecil that can't even run, it gets tired way faster than the first game making you feel completely hopeless for no reason... I ended up wanting to die half the time, the loading screen is your new best friend and the spectacular scenery can hardly be contemplated since you're 95% of the time running. They may aswell put a simple black room and said RUN and the game would be the same.. there are no places to hide or alternative routes it's almost an "on rails" experience... excesive effects, excessive dark levels (too dark) so half the time the spectacular view is ruined by having to use the flashlight.

On top of that, flashlight only last for like 10 seconds, it seems that between Outlast & Outlast 2 the cameras only got worse on durability.. and the character contrary to the first Outlast is SURROUNDED BY FREAKING WEAPONS which takes NONE. Pardon me but a big bad boss I can understand but being killed by an almost rooten corpse that can barely walk and has only ONE HAND and half a foot is A JOKE.

This all feels like the developer really think that putting the player into the worse abuse possible will make for a fun game but it ends up being frustrating as hell.

Suffice to say I left the game on the last chapter and deleted it. This is garbage and I'm so sorry for the wonderful developers that made the scenery because that's the only saving point, the gameplay is as rudimentary as hell, in fact i've never seen such an unpolished gameplay in quite some time.

This game is not recommended, AT ALL, for only 6 hours of constant suffering and frustration the developers should pay US to play this not the other way around...

What's the point in playing a game that has no redeeming values and WANTS you to suffer and be frustrated for no reason?
  11. Jul 28, 2017
    I have been a massive fan of the first person horror genre that has emerged in recent years. Amnesia was tense and terrifying, Soma was dark and alien, and Outlast was this perfect balance of both. While I admit that I hated the ending of Outlast, I thought the game itself was fantastic, so when they announced the sequel I was psyched. When they said it was the same universe but aI have been a massive fan of the first person horror genre that has emerged in recent years. Amnesia was tense and terrifying, Soma was dark and alien, and Outlast was this perfect balance of both. While I admit that I hated the ending of Outlast, I thought the game itself was fantastic, so when they announced the sequel I was psyched. When they said it was the same universe but a completely different story I was more psyched. There was no where to really take that ending, and it wasn't very good to begin with, relying on cop out tropes rather than immersive storytelling, so continuing it wouldn't have made for a decent story at all. So when outlast two came out and it went on sale, my wife bought it for me as a gift.

The first hour or so is fantastic. Lost in an almost alien mountain town, where nothing makes much sense, alone, frightened, and looking for someone. Awesome, I can dig it. Sneaking around guards that have patterns they use yo move around obstacles and hiding spots, sweet. Hiding in corn rows to avoid being spotted, neat idea, I like it. So far it sounds awesome, and for a bit it is.

Then the chases start...and the blackness...and the dead ends....

There is so much bloody running in this game, running from threats you cannot take the time to look at or they run you through, or you have to do some asinine QTE to fend them off (but you don't always get that option). Sometimes they just kill you. This would be fine if, like the very rare chasing sequences in Outlast 1, these areas were well lit, allowing you to both take in the atmosphere in a smaller amount of time, and quickly assess where you are supposed to go.

Apparently, that made too much sense to the designers, so instead you are running through mostly black areas, requiring you to use your night vision camera, which blurs things at a distance, forcing an almost battletoads-esque level of reaction as you barrel into where you think you are supposed to go. This reliance on darkness will also force you to be in night vision for most of your playthrough, causing you to burn through batteries like tissue paper, and searching for more often takes two batteries to find one, assuming you can even find one. There is no appreciating the scenery, no time to look at who or what is chasing you, no time to even feel genuinely scared, it's just startling for a second and then your immersion is destroyed.

The darkness would be bad enough on its own, but this game has some of the worst conveyance I have ever seen. No way to know where to go, where anything is, or even which doors and hallways will be open or dead ends, and during a chase, a single dead end will kill you, even on the lowest difficulty setting. I do not mind getting killed during a chase sequence, but only if it's my fault. I shouldn't be expected to case every single inch of every single screen, taking hours to memorize everything, on the off chance that I am going to get run through the area. Besides, that would only help slightly, as many chases take you right into places that were locked when you first came through, so there was nothing you could possibly have done to know where to go ahead of time, and the game certainly isn't going to tell you.

All things being said, here's a quick summary.:
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere is excellent and plot is interesting, if cliche'. Heck even dragon age origins had a religious mountain town. It's been done.
    -The voice acting works well enough for the story they are trying to tell

Cons:
    -Over reliance on night vision, causing game to be blurry and green for most of the time
    -Spending most of your time running from enemies you didn't even see or know were there. Being chased isn't scary or tense, especially if you don't have any idea where you are running too, it's just frustrating
    -Horrible conveyance leads to many dead ends and lost tracks, resulting in death during chases
    -Batteries are burnt through too quickly, causing players who are trying to conserve them to literally play blind
    -Quick time events during "combat". Nobody likes those, they are cancer, they destroy immersion, never use them

Conclusion: I cannot in good conscience recommend this game. It removed most of the elements of fear and replaced them with more action oriented elements, and the bad conveyance and reliance on night vision strongly suggest to me that they either heavily guided their playtesters, or did not have anyone who had never seen the project playtest the game from start to finish, because these glaring issues should have been caught well before launch, as now it's too late and the game suffers horribly for it.

Do not buy this game, watch a let's play of it with someone using a walkthrough.
  12. Apr 26, 2017
    Pros
    +graphics
    +gore +violence CONS+everything else! this is probably the worst ending to a video game in history and that's AFTER researching all the theories and collectables in game. the game itself is MUCH worse than the first one, due to terrible AI who know where you are at all times, story not making any sense at all unless you find every single collectible and read 40 pages of
    Pros
    +graphics
    +gore
    +violence
    CONS+everything else! this is probably the worst ending to a video game in history and that's AFTER researching all the theories and collectables in game. the game itself is MUCH worse than the first one, due to terrible AI who know where you are at all times, story not making any sense at all unless you find every single collectible and read 40 pages of text(and still made no sense). on the pc version i ran into so many bugs where i could not progress and had to restart do to the context events not working or not popping up AT ALL. the horror to the game was good but was too far apart to really care about it. the game looks very open but is actually linear as hell, with 1000 paths and places you can hide but only 1 WORKS? the rest the AI know exactly where you are or block your path so u have to restart the whole sequence over. the game literally gets you killed over and over till you find the 1 MOST OBSCURE path that should not work and does not work at any other part in the game but for some reason works in this little section....THIS IS LAZY GAME DESIGN the devs put this in here to make the game seem longer than it actually is. you will spend about 6 hours playing the game and 3 of it will be repeating the same chase sequence over and over till either the ai bugs and looses aggro(only way i passed the chick with the pickax) or u find some obscure path. i only give the game a 3 because the violence and gore along with the graphics and atmosphere was amazing and the graphic design team deserves all the praise in the world. but the story and game mechanics RUIN the whole experience.
  13. Apr 28, 2017
    What game did you **** **** play? This monstrosity is no better than the first one (Which I finished in just over three hours). I still can't for the life of me understand how a game like ME:A (which was panned primarily for its **** animations) gets shot down to **** yet this game is getting 10s. **** off.
  14. Apr 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself looks nice but the story is very confusing and game​ isn't as scary as first one with DLC the ending is just bad and confusing.
    Not worth it's Price
  15. Apr 25, 2017
    Story was awfully explained graphics were awesome! But story > graphics in 2017, Also the story made no sense because it was about a girl dying and how the crash happened or how the story started nothing is explained.
  16. Apr 26, 2017
    The setting and different locations in this game are fantastic. Unfortunately, the constant chase sections, where you can clearly see the people and creatures that are after you, cause this game to lose the great atmosphere that was built. This is especially true in some of the sections where the game seems to devolve into trial and error navigating sections with dead ends. After a fewThe setting and different locations in this game are fantastic. Unfortunately, the constant chase sections, where you can clearly see the people and creatures that are after you, cause this game to lose the great atmosphere that was built. This is especially true in some of the sections where the game seems to devolve into trial and error navigating sections with dead ends. After a few hours the whole thing just becomes comical. There are a couple of good sections involving a school but everything outside of that just becomes a chore. i wouldn't mind if there was a good story but unfortunately the plot is just another crash, abduction, save the girl story masked in the it's all an illusion because "microwaves" cliche. Expand
  17. Oct 7, 2019
    A complete downgrade from the original Outlast in nearly every possible way story, design and gameplay mechanics and to a lesser extent characters.

expect to die more often in this one as despite the more open environments in the game (which are ultimately pointless due to the linearity of the routes you take in the game) you'll often end up a little more lost than in the asylum which easily guided you due to its brilliant simplicity of a straight hallway, but even that discredits the level design of Outlast which was possibly some of the best level design in any modern horror game to date due to the tension, atmosphere and aspects like the lighting and attention to detail.

Outlast 2 will likely disgust and infuriate you but ultimately depress you story wise, level design and game play mechanic-wise it will infuriate, and a combination of both will depress you. The story had great potential but is ultimately weak, far weaker than Outlast and the sequel Whistleblower DLC. The story takes place in the present and in dream-like sequences in a school which echo the original design of Outlast and are brilliantly directed overall. If the entire game was those sequences Outlast 2 would be on par with Outlast and possibly surpass it, the religious imagery is kept to a minimum despite the school being of the nature. But instead your forced through mountains of gore and disgusting crap that is cheap and just plain tryhard. Thematically Outlast 2 is a mess with a ton of religious imagery thrust in your face at all times cheapened by the gore and humorous crap happening around you which scream irony. Its overwhelming with little nuance or introspection and forethought leading to massive tonal immersion loss.

Outlast and Whistleblower had very nuanced themes of humanity and the loss of it, corruption and psychosis while combining technology into the mix and managed it fine, Outlast 2 can't seem to manage anything because its trying to force everything at once. There's no combat but unlike Outlast which had a lore based reason for this, there's plenty of potential weapons and not to spoil anything but some of the characters aren't exactly as intimidating as Outlasts main antagonists, but you can't fight back in Outlast 2 for no good reason.
  18. Aug 20, 2017
    not a patch on the first offering. This is plodding and predictiable, whether thats because you are expecting similar things to the original i am not sure. I just found wandering around the desert canyons where all the sick people were to just walk a few yards get attacked walked another few yards get attacked just incredibly boring. No wonder this hasnt done that well
  19. May 9, 2017
    Игра - сплошное щелелазание с элементами паркура, состоящая из бредового сюжета, шаблонных уровней, глухой темноты и бесячих врагов (в особенности лучник-читер),
    которые к концу игры начинают дико выводить из себя. Персонажи, кстати, не раскрыты вообще. Такое ощущение, что их добавили тупо для галочки. И появляются они крайне редко.
    Никаких интересных диалогов, никакого по настоящему
    Никаких интересных диалогов, никакого по настоящему безумного колорита от них не дождешься. Так же, в игре присутствует достаточно кривой стелс, который почему-то не работает в прятках с боссами. В принципе, стелс здесь и не нужен, потому что большую часть времени ГГ не прячется, он бегает.
    Таким образом, получился не тот ужасный супер-хоррор, который нам обещали, а обычный симулятор бега от алкашей с препятствиями.
  20. Jun 25, 2019
    This game was soo boring. And not scary at all. The plot is pretty interesting though.
  21. Jul 27, 2019
    As a big fan of the first Outlast I was baffled how far from the first game this one landed.
    Laughable and juvenile writing, characters, and "story" and most of all boring and sometimes broken game play.
    Stay away.
  22. Nov 19, 2018
    Игра сделана крайне небрежно и криво. Единственное, что её спасает - мерзкие сцены (такого вы нигде не уведете). Сюжет оставляет большое пространство для фантазии, поскольку разработчики намеренно оставили в нём кучу пробелов.Игра сделана крайне небрежно и криво. Единственное, что её спасает - мерзкие сцены (такого вы нигде не уведете). Сюжет оставляет большое пространство для фантазии, поскольку разработчики намеренно оставили в нём кучу пробелов.
  23. Jul 12, 2020
    The level design of this game compared to the last one, is **** diabolical. There were a lot of levels where i got stuck for about 30 minutes because i didn't know what to do or where to go, the main character is way too afraid to fight 80 pound human skeletons cuz he is a **** This game is way too broken. And i feel like it was rushed pretty fast. DO NOT play this game.
  24. Jul 26, 2021
    dull walking simulator like all previous games from this dull series how boring trash can be played
  25. Apr 1, 2021
    Графика - 6/10
    Игровой процесс - 6/10
    Сюжет - 4/10
    Музыка - 4/10
  26. Nov 4, 2020
    Cheap jump scares, unoriginal game mechanics, weird level design and boring. Don't buy it.
  27. May 26, 2022
    Игра вообще не страшная, атмосферы нет. Совсем не то, чего можно ожидать от продолжения такого замечательного хоррора.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 48 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 23, 2019
    A faltering sequel that borrows even more liberally from well-worn horror tropes than its predecessor, Outlast 2 ends up a middling entry despite its high production values and some shining moments of found footage fright.
  2. Jul 5, 2017
    Red Barrels built the sequel on the tried more of the same principle, but this is by far is not the worst problem of the second installment.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 5, 2017
    Instead of the standard entertainment, we received unnecessarily over-combined horror game with atmosphere incomparable to the original one. [Issue#275]