6.7

1. Oct 24, 2018
    Shovelware marketed on a series of buzzwords with no content or development to back it up. Even setting aside the near total absence of content, the basic structure and appeal of the game could only lead to a design philosophy encouraging lots of tedious micromanagement, repetitive tasks, and lack of decision making. From an aesthetic point of view the game is very crude, gross andShovelware marketed on a series of buzzwords with no content or development to back it up. Even setting aside the near total absence of content, the basic structure and appeal of the game could only lead to a design philosophy encouraging lots of tedious micromanagement, repetitive tasks, and lack of decision making. From an aesthetic point of view the game is very crude, gross and bloated. Avoid if possible. Expand
  2. Apr 15, 2018
    Pixel Piracy in few words : Terrible control, exteme luck ( To the point where you can die 5 minutes after spawning due to not receving good loot ), a bad money system and bankrupted devs who stopped doing updates.
  3. Jun 1, 2016
    Разработчики давным-давно обещали перевести игру на русский. С тех пор прошло уже 3 года и ничего не изменилось. Неужели так трудно найти средства для перевода? Разработчики же потом всё равно получили бы прибыль с продаж в своём родном регионе. "Соотечественники"...Разработчики давным-давно обещали перевести игру на русский. С тех пор прошло уже 3 года и ничего не изменилось. Неужели так трудно найти средства для перевода? Разработчики же потом всё равно получили бы прибыль с продаж в своём родном регионе. "Соотечественники"...
  4. Apr 6, 2015
    0 из 10 за обещание ввести русский язык!Разрабы будьте людьми,нефиг скакать на пендосовском елдаке,подумайте об соотечественниках и запилите русский язык.
  5. Feb 10, 2015
    Yes the game LOOKS good. Yes the game SOUNDS good.
    But!
    The game plays terribly. There are only three things to do: a) Go to towns where thieves steal your money and you can buy weak crew members who constantly try to fight (so therefore die) b) Go to islands where a large number of decently strong enemies are (with a treasure chest with like 5 gold in it [ships have over 40x as much]
    Yes the game LOOKS good. Yes the game SOUNDS good.
    But!
    The game plays terribly.
    There are only three things to do:
    c) Or sink ships (which is only fun for about a half an hour)

And here's why even they don't work often:
    a) Morale is terrible
    b) Hunger is terrible
    c) Your people do what they want, even with perpetual clicking (leading to weak people dying when enemies board your ship)
    d) and WORST OF ALL my 8GB RAM computer can't handle the larger battles.

This game was fun for a few hours, but NOT worth the 10 bucks. Save your money, buy something better.
  6. Dec 18, 2014
    Got the game in a bundle. Load it up, and you are just thrown on an island with a terrible user interface and no idea what is going on. Could really do with some sort of tutorial.

Certain games benifit from this approach like Risen, but not this game. The controls and look of the game is terrible and just feels like an 8 bit Sid Meiers Pirates, only not even 1% as good. Apparently

Apparently there are load of game breaking bugs and is in some sort of Alpha state. Avoid at all costs.

Edit: Oh, and now I get banned from the forum for posting a negative review and calling out bullying they allow. What a bunch of childish ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ the devs and mods are. Make Phil Fish look like professional of the year.
  7. Oct 15, 2014
    This game is definitely NOT a finished version and still needs a lot of work. Apart from tons of bugs ranging from annoying to absolutely game breaking, the rest of the game simply is pretty mediocre.

The core idea is rather interesting and I was pretty excited to play it. Each crew member is a character with his own set of stats and the possibility to teach him new skills for combat or ship duty. Crews can get quite large and it is vital to ensure that certain roles are present on your ship. The ship itself is built block by block and can also be upgraded with several special modules that enhance its sailing speed, allow to store food or raise the number of hull points.

How this idea is implemented, though, is pretty disappointing. Controlling your crew is pretty tedious in most situations and doesn't work at all in some. This has nothing to do with mutinying crew members, the user interface, or the artificial intelligence respectively, just stops working. Battles suffer greatly from the inability to control single crew members. You either watch in fear, as your pirates just run around aimlessly far behind enemy lines or simply lose some of them because they retreat far too late. Ordering their whole group back to the ship also doesn't work properly many times. There are many other examples of these issues, like the captain ALWAYS stopping in a tavern when one is on the way to the shop you wanted to send him to.

Managing your crew and building the ship is either way too complicated or simply bugged. When you try to modify your ship when standing in front of a shop owner, the interface completely bugs out. Also, so far there are only 2 different weapons you can install on your ship. Equipping items and teaching skills to your pirates, too, is absolutely convoluted. This is mostly due to the fact that there is no overview for all the items you have. Instead you have to select a crew member, click on its passive, melee or ranged item slot and then select an item from a menu. This also applies to using consumables like skill books.

In summary, I would not recommend this game at all. If you see it at a heavy discount, like I did, MAYBE you can squeeze some hours of fun out of it. I paid 5€ and will probably play it for another hour or two, just to see everything it has to offer, but I doubt it will make up for all the poor design decisions and bugs this game contains.
  8. Sep 14, 2014
    Heyyo, this is from my Steam Review...

----------------------------- Heyyo, as much as I WANT to love this game since it's made by Relogic? The guys behind Terraria? This game's WAAAAYYY too buggy to call a proper release. The concept is great... but here's a few prime example bugs that are infuriating and preventing me from enjoying the game!!! Priates randomly revolting... EVEN MY
    Heyyo, this is from my Steam Review...

-----------------------------

Priates randomly revolting... EVEN MY CAPTAIN WHO WASN'T NEAR HUNGY (70%) AND HAD GOOD MORALE (89%)!!! WHAT... THE.... HECK!?!? lvl 40 and I lose him to what!? MAKES NO SENSE!

Pirates falling into the water... oh man, HOW many TIMES have I had to reload... BECAUSE I GAVE AN ORDER AND MY MID-GRAPPLE PIRATES TURN AROUND AND WALK INTO THE WATER AND DIE!?!?!?

Stuttering when scrolling sideways when you have 15+ pirates... ugh, I JUST want to go do things with my pirates, and the game is laggy only when un-paused.. annoying, but not game-breaking as the top two issues.

Pirates not cleaning up poop... I have 25+ pirates, and I have about 7 of them with cleaning... they don't clean or stand around with poop in their hands... morale keeps dropping fast. WHY!?

Just... furstrating... the game was fun, up until I had 15+ pirates and started exploring the danger lvl 4 zones. Now I wish this was still Early Access and on a bigger discount...
  9. Aug 7, 2014
    When I saw this game on sale on steam and saw all the positive reviews on metacritic, I hastily decided to snatch it up, but after playing the game for a little while, I'd say I snatched it up a little too hastily. There's so much that the game does right but also so much that it does wrong, and for each bug or glitch the game has, it overshadows what the game does right. Pixel Piracy'sWhen I saw this game on sale on steam and saw all the positive reviews on metacritic, I hastily decided to snatch it up, but after playing the game for a little while, I'd say I snatched it up a little too hastily. There's so much that the game does right but also so much that it does wrong, and for each bug or glitch the game has, it overshadows what the game does right. Pixel Piracy's success is, in my opinion, due in part to its piggy-backing off of the fame from its developer Re-Logic, who had a massive success with its own original title Terraria, which I greatly enjoyed because of its high quality. Quality is, however, where Pixel Piracy and Terraria's similarities end.

For all its addictive-ness and retro-graphics aesthetic, the mighty pirate ship that is Pixel Piracy is ridden with so many holes in its bottom such as bugs (crewmen often stuck in place), shoddy creation, and even basic spelling and grammar errors, which threatens to sink what would otherwise be a glorious galleon. Furthermore, the content which at first seems extensive, quickly becomes dull once you realize that there are only 2 different types of encounters you can have (3 if you count the bosses, which are just a difficult version of one of the other type of encounters). Likewise, although there are complicated game mechanics going on behind the scenes, the game does a poor job explaining what some of its own items do (e.g. "Thor's Undies").

Now I realize that Pixel Piracy is receiving patches almost every week, and that I'm sure lots of good additions and corrections are planned, however this game is the classic example of a premature release. I enjoyed it, but I would not have minded to wait a little longer to have a better first impression.
  10. Aug 6, 2014
    It has a few small things here and there that could be better, but I've really enjoyed playing the game so far. They still seem to update the release version and it didn't get any more expensive than the beta, so I'm ok with that.
  11. Aug 5, 2014
    I do not understand why the devs decided to release the game instead of keeping it as Early Access. It is still so full of bugs that it is unplayable. Without the bugs, I think the game would be great. I'll probably wait a few months before giving this a try again.
  12. Aug 4, 2014
    Started off pretty fantastic but got worse and worse, even on "easy" with morale and hunger decay set at the lowest both are still a huge problem. Eventually you are just sailing around trying to get ontop of the upkeep of your crew.

Combat tactics are non existent, just watch and hope. Just a tedious micro management "game". The little bugs just kill it off, you try to kit out a

Combat tactics are non existent, just watch and hope.

Just a tedious micro management "game".

The little bugs just kill it off, you try to kit out a good ship with training and other entertainment but then your fishermen, chef and cleaners stop doing their job so everyone starves and gets up to their waist in their own excrement :-

Another indie disappointment....
  13. Aug 3, 2014
    This game is riddled with game-breaking bugs and poorly implemented features.
    - Crews don't go where they're told
    - Even on Easy, it is excruciatingly difficult to get a companion to level up with you because they die so fast. Well, if you thought you could keep them out of combat, (1) they don't listen, (2) they don't share XP from kills from your more seasoned fighters. - Morale is
    This game is riddled with game-breaking bugs and poorly implemented features.
    - Crews don't go where they're told
    - Morale is broken
    - UI is broken: if I want to eat food, I have to go to the "Shipbuilding" panel... if I want to give my crew a consumable, I have to select them in the crew tab and "equip" a "passive item". You can't even go to a screen where all of your items are visable at once, which leaves you guessing...
    - Poorly implemented tutorial. The fact that you can't pause and view the tutorial properly at the same time tells you all you need to know about this problem.
    - Poor translation
    - No officially sanctioned community or bug reporting
    - You can't save the game at your convenience, even on the non-hardcore setting. This wouldn't be so upsetting if the game didn't have so many game-ending/breaking bugs/features. I'm currently stuck on a save where my Captain has 3 health and is bleeding; aka I die immediately after loading.

This could have been a great game. The developers jumped the gun by releasing this as a completed product ("1.0") so soon. Hope they find a way to make things better.
  14. Aug 3, 2014
    While I want to like this game, I don't. The game's start is too slow, with only a handful of encounters you can defeat. While I appreciate the RPG element of this game, I put it down after less than a couple hours of playtime.
  15. Aug 3, 2014
    Bought when it said it was from Finland developed in one year. Probably biggest bugs are fixed and some minor yet a bit annoying ones remain but judging developers are weekly patching game those bugs will get fixed in no time.

Start is the hardest and you probably die in most weirdest ways. Tutorial is pretty basic and most approach this game with try and error method.
  16. Aug 2, 2014
    I can't recommend this game enough. If you are a fan of colony management games then this is a game for you. Its a real refreshing change to be able to take your colony of (in this case, pirates) from one location to another rather than just building up a base and defending it from invaders (timber and stone, rimworld, etc.). Not to say anything bad about the afore mentioned games, itsI can't recommend this game enough. If you are a fan of colony management games then this is a game for you. Its a real refreshing change to be able to take your colony of (in this case, pirates) from one location to another rather than just building up a base and defending it from invaders (timber and stone, rimworld, etc.). Not to say anything bad about the afore mentioned games, its just that this is comparable to them in terms of mechanics and feel but its nothing in the genre like I've seen before. Thanks to the developers for this game. I can't wait to see what comes from them next! Expand
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    One of the most surprising Indie games i have seen around in a while, and here is why:

First of all, its innovative gameplay blends the apparently incompatible genres of Crew Management and Roguelike-RPG, and does so surprisingly well. The freedom given us from the very start of the game is total, and the possibility of building and customizing every part of your ship and any aspect of your crew gives a real forward boost in the overall freedom experience given to the player.

Even if it has colorful palettes, a minimalistic (but indeed functional) HUD and rather simple base mechanics, you will be surprised at the complexity of the overall system as you proceed in the adventure: from a small group of pirates, you will be in charge of managing a large crew, composed even of tens of individuals, each one with its up and down sides, needs, skills and behavior. Soon you will take the role of a true captain, assigning each member of your crew to the job which suits them best, ration the food supplies, teach the right skills at the right guys, and be careful to do that, because in Pixel Piracy every mistake costs lives, and coins!

If the management part seems deep enough, then you will be lost in the exploration one. The game features procedurally generated worlds, this means every game will be different, every island a new discovery, every encounter a different fight. Repetitivity is a stranger to this game, because with the combination of hundreds of randomly generated items, tools, ships and enemies, it is successful in mantaining itself fresh and new every time you play.

The combat system is also full of fun and depth itself. Battles will be always different in relation of where they take place. A battle on an island can see your fellow footsoldiers roam through the sandy beaches, staining them with red blood, aided by the ship's artillery team raining death upon their foes, while a battle in the open sea is a true confrontation of two captains and their own vessels: cannons blazing, bullets flying, pirates drowning, hulls breaking and men boarding each other's ship with fierce brutality and desire for loot. Only the best skills, tactics and yeah, also luck, will determine whi wins and who sinks.

Well, that's all folks, there are other features in the game but i decide to leave them upon you to discover. There is a big world in these little pixels, and it is full of wonder.
  18. Aug 1, 2014
    This game is amazing. It allows you to play how you want with the way you build your crew and ship. You can have a small but extremely powerful crew or a moderate large crew, your ship can be all shapes and sizes. this game is a lot of fun and extremely hilarious when your crew sing :D .
  19. Aug 1, 2014
    This game is one of a kind. I'm very picky about the games I support when it comes to Early Access, but this game has my complete faith and trust. The creators of the Pixel Piracy has done a fantastic job with the game and they don't plan on stopping. 10/10 hands down.
  20. Aug 1, 2014
    Wow this game. Dont quite know where to start. Amazing pixel art that blends quite nicely with the smooth gameplay, awesome looting mechanics, ship building, and more. Coming just from a review, I know people wont make this their reason to play, but this is a game you really just need to try.
    REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TRY IT:
    Its cheap Has unique mechanics that feel new, yet easy to use.
    REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TRY IT:
    Its cheap
    Has unique mechanics that feel new, yet easy to use.
    Takes pixel art, but gives it a nice remake. (awesome, high quality water reflections and movements, animations, ect)
    much more (dont want to spoil its awesomeness for you)
  21. Aug 1, 2014
    Pros: I have been playing this game since early access. This game has gone through many development stages. Based upon player feedback they fixed many bugs and made many enhancements to the game. I can honestly say that I am proud to have been part of the experience.

With that said if you ever wanted to be a captain of a ship and enjoy awesome pixel retro graphics then this is the game for you. This is a strategy game where you must keep your crew, fed, happy and try not to get them killed.

Your crew will level up and you must decide to boost their stats or have them learn new skills. The game is very balanced, changing while still maintaining the fun factor. The game is out of early access but the developers are continuing to give the game free updates.

Did I forget to mention that you can build and fully customize your pirate ship? The game delivers as not just a pirate sim but as an overall game. The offer tons of replay value and you can’t beat it for the price.

Cons: Being that I have to pick something it’s that there aren't any type of multiplayer modes. However, the game doesn't need it as the game is really designed be a single player game. However, if they were to add a PVP mode in the future where you could have ship battles that would add an entirely new game its self.
  22. Aug 1, 2014
    while playing pixel prat thrue early access to V1.0 it has been an adventure . and the product that is whait it is now is a game worth having, you get to comand a crew of pirats, build your own boat , feed and pay your crew , and have them fight so there moral dosent drop.lots of items and skill. all in all what a pirat game needs
  23. Aug 1, 2014
    I play this game in my dreams as much as I do in my spare time. I love the style of game play and in my opinion I think it's pretty unique. I love the pixel style graphics. Old school feel is always a good way to go. Highly recommended.
  24. Aug 1, 2014
    Bought this game is early access and I was totally impressed. You do your own thing on your own path and its different every time. Its not like "Rogue Legacy" or those games where you die and restart like always, like almost expected. This game is survival and action, but 2D. Its hard to explain why and how really its good, but it just is. The game is, in my opinion, the "all new bindingBought this game is early access and I was totally impressed. You do your own thing on your own path and its different every time. Its not like "Rogue Legacy" or those games where you die and restart like always, like almost expected. This game is survival and action, but 2D. Its hard to explain why and how really its good, but it just is. The game is, in my opinion, the "all new binding of isaac" on terms of quenching boredom. It is entertainment whenever you need it!.
    The only problem some people may have (Which i don't have a problem with) is the hard'ship' (lol) of getting gold. People may get angry about that, but it actually adds to the fun. You need to be conservative about your money.
    Overall I feel this game is a 9/10 because purely the game has a lot of more potential and I cannot give it a 10 until i don't have to wonder if there could be something greater next update... But thats fun too!
  25. Aug 1, 2014
    Would've made a longer post, but Metacritic decided to say **** you" to me, so **** that.

Pixel Piracy, is one hell of a game, buy it, now. Support the Dev Mate.
  26. Aug 1, 2014
    I had played Terraria before this and thought, Hey, maybe this game would be just as good! I started playing it when it was in beta. I told Alex and Vitali about some bugs that I came across, and that's what has lead to the 1.0 update! Thanks for making an amazing game!
  27. Aug 1, 2014
    This Game is the best game for YEARS, i saw the game last year and thought i dont buy this because it looks diffrent but in summer sale 2014 it was cheap and i thought i buy it and test it and i buy it on another account again this game is pretty and awesome. (sry for bad english :))
  28. Aug 1, 2014
    Great game in its current state, and has millions of thousands of potential and i can think of so many new ideas that would really make this game amazing
  29. Aug 1, 2014
    Bought this game in early development, and even then I found it completely amazing! I have sat and played this game for hours on end without boredom, Alex has done an amazing job in making this game what it is now and I would recommend this game to anyone!
  30. Aug 1, 2014
    I wouldn't ever give a game 10/10 I am always a believer that everything can be better and it should.

That being said this game is well worth a 9/10, I bought the game when it first came to early access of steam just on the concept alone, back then the game was fun, but now it is released with a much more fleshed out and balanced game play it is an easily enjoyable game which you can easily get lost in and spend over 12 hours straight on, and in that time you probably are still no where near finishing the game.

On top of all this pixel piracy is by far one of the best pirate games out there and we may just receive some interesting updates still to come, so keep an eye out.
  31. Aug 1, 2014
    Really nice pirate sim. Lots of stuff to do, easy to learn and good graphics too. Would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys roguelikes (FTL, etc) or indeed anyone who is interested in this game.
  32. Aug 1, 2014
    This game rules go buy it! Btw I recommend this game to any 2D lover Pixel Piracy is a funny game to play at Lower Price and Is the best Pirate game i ever seen
  33. Aug 1, 2014
    I haven't gotten very far into the game yet, but it does provide what I expected. A pixely world with danger and excitement. I enjoyed the little time I spent playing it so far!
  34. Aug 1, 2014
    Great game! Love the pixel graphics, and the pirate-y music. I've always wanted to play more pirate games. Black Flag is good- but I enjoy retro graphics. Lots more good things to come!
  35. Aug 1, 2014
    Very Fun game to play :) The graphics was very nice. I enjoyed building ships and crushing the enemy opponents with the ;). What caught my attention of this game was the fighting system. I loved the capturing ships plundering them for materials and Killing the Pirates! :)
  36. Aug 1, 2014
    Pixel Piracy is a new take on the rogue-like genre where you hire a crew of pirates, build your ship and sail off to battle other pirates or raid islands for all their gold and treasure. You can even steal other ships if you want to. As you progress and level up your crew you will be able to increase the size of your boat and crew and plunder more dangerous areas for even greater rewards.Pixel Piracy is a new take on the rogue-like genre where you hire a crew of pirates, build your ship and sail off to battle other pirates or raid islands for all their gold and treasure. You can even steal other ships if you want to. As you progress and level up your crew you will be able to increase the size of your boat and crew and plunder more dangerous areas for even greater rewards. There are also other things to consider while playing such as food for the hunger of your crew and paying your crew to increase their morale and upgrading your crews gear.

Overall this is a very fun and enjoyable game where you will be playing for a long time. The music is also great and I would highly recommend you purchasing it!
  37. Aug 1, 2014
    Awesome, awesome game, not to mention that it was accepted by the Steam Community so fast and it is such an awesome (again) game, I seriously hope it hits as much sales as .. lets say for example Terraria hit couple months ago, I'm sure it'll, it has a awesome content!

Yes, I said awesome 4 times :D
  38. Aug 1, 2014
    Great Game, the pixel style graphics are satisfying. It's worth trying and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as i do. If you enjoy killing pirates, getting loot, sinking/raiding ships, this game is for you. You can even build your own ship the way you want it. So, go try it out :p
  39. Aug 1, 2014
    Ich hatte so viel Spaß mit diesem Spiel =) Selten ein so gutes Preis Leistungs-Verhältniss gehabt =)
    Pixel Piracy entwickelte sich immer weiter und war wirklich das beste Early Access game das ich besitze =)
  40. Aug 1, 2014
    When I first played this game, it was in it's first stages, and even at that point it was superb! The art style is gorgeous, the water reflections are divine and if you're a pixel game fan, and like pirates, then I'd 100% recommend this game! Build your own ship, take other pirates down, steal their building materials and loot! Banging! Where else can you lead an army of crabs to destroyWhen I first played this game, it was in it's first stages, and even at that point it was superb! The art style is gorgeous, the water reflections are divine and if you're a pixel game fan, and like pirates, then I'd 100% recommend this game! Build your own ship, take other pirates down, steal their building materials and loot! Banging! Where else can you lead an army of crabs to destroy other pirates and loot?

Seriously, just buy the game!

We'll bang, okay?
  41. May 30, 2014
    I first dismissed Pixel Piracy because I am not fond of 2d side-scrolling games and even though I put in plenty of effort I failed to enjoy Terraria which was advertised as similar in form and function. Despite those discouragements I purchased Pixel Piracy because I had a coupon that reduced the price a bit and had finally become bored with Rogue Legacy (awesome game). Pixel Piracy hasI first dismissed Pixel Piracy because I am not fond of 2d side-scrolling games and even though I put in plenty of effort I failed to enjoy Terraria which was advertised as similar in form and function. Despite those discouragements I purchased Pixel Piracy because I had a coupon that reduced the price a bit and had finally become bored with Rogue Legacy (awesome game). Pixel Piracy has exceeded my expectations, its graphics and animations are charming in a minimalistic way and its sand-box rogue-like world creation increases its replay ability. There are still some bugs to work out, but the game play is easy to understand and I promise that if you give this game a half a chance it should at least be 20 hours of fun for you... also its resource requirements are minimal so you can play it on your back-up laptop :) Expand
  42. May 9, 2014
    Amazing game! Brings a new meaning to the word pixel! I was expecting something that looks like Terraria but this is just beautiful. The game does perfectly what it promises in the title. By far better than any other pirate game out there. Including Assassins Creed 4!
  43. Aug 4, 2014

Combat tactics are non existent, just watch and hope.

Just a tedious micro management "game".

Another indie disappointment....

There are no critic reviews yet.