7.3

1. Sep 20, 2022
    The announcement of a new Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert was the best news in the last 30 years.

Then the trailer came, and I knew they screwed up. The art style is terrible, it's a flash mobile game with terrible animations. This is how you ruin a legendary series. It's so sad.
  2. Sep 25, 2022
    The puzzles are too easy and the game has been extremely simplified. There aren't any truly remarkable puzzles like the insult fights. It relies too much on nostalgia instead on being good.

The art style is bad, specially the faces and some backgrounds, but animations are even worse. They look like puppets with just a few joints. Backgrounds have very little animations on them. There are indie games made by one or two people with way better art and animations.

The ending is disappointing and feels rushed.

Come on! This is Monkey Island. People should be more demanding, and not settle for less just because of nostalgia. If this game wasn't a Monkey Island 2 sequel, everyone would have rated it lower.
  3. Sep 25, 2022
    I really, really wanted to like this game.

The puzzles seemed a little easy with the new interface but I still think it could have been good. But so much of the game is just rehashing things in a less satisfying way. There's not enough Murray (which is from a game I thought didn't count "officially"). I don't care if the art style is different. It only matters if I like the style,
    I really, really wanted to like this game.

I don't care if the art style is different. It only matters if I like the style, not whether it's new or old. I didn't like this one but it still could have been a good game.

Ron Gilbert said Disney let him make the game he wanted. I only partially believe that. Disney's diversity quotas are in heavy effect. You see that the minute you walk into the Scumm bar. 2/3 of the pirates you talk to are female and 2/3 of the pirate leaders are female. Coincidence? Nah. It goes on throughout the game.

Finally, you get to the ending and it just sucks. What would be a better ending? ANYTHING. I don't care what the secret is. Commit to an ending. It's not that hard.
  4. Sep 25, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ron Gilbert said he wanted to make a pirate game. This game isn't one. The ending shows that.

The ending is terrible and shows that Gilbert doesn't care about the story. Instead, we get a load of bs philosophy about stories are "mainly the middle part, which is where the good stuff is" and they "change with time".

The original Monkey Island story doesn't change. Every time I play that game, it's great. Good stories don't change. You read them again because you enjoy them. A good story has a good ending.

This game isn't getting my money and I'm done with Gilbert games.
  5. Sep 29, 2022
    The game is a real crap. In addition to horrible graphics (I'm not surprised anymore) the story is terrible (there are too many moments where nothing makes sense). It's such a soulless game. Disney put his stamp just like in his last movies (Star Wars franchise and others). Absolute sadness
  6. Fuz
    Sep 28, 2022
    Disclaimer: The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge are my all-time favourite games and they will never be topped. I love Ron's Gilbert, he's my favourite developer and I loved to death Thimbleweed Park.

I had a very bad feeling about Return after seeing that god-awful trailer. Worse than I thought. Much worse than I thought, since I was confident Gilbert's writing would have

I had a very bad feeling about Return after seeing that god-awful trailer.
    Worse than I thought. Much worse than I thought, since I was confident Gilbert's writing would have been top notch despite the art direction. I was wrong.
    The artstyle is adequate for what the game writing and story are. And I don't mean it in a nice way.
    Yeah, it's an absolute disaster visually, ugly with cheap flashlike skeletal animations everywhere. It's small, both in scope and in lenght - it has no breadth. It's empty. Just compare the islands in act IV with the islands in Monkey Island 2. There is no Caribbean to be found here. The puzzles are easy and not particularly well designed or interesting, some of them also have small hints on how to solve them (like seeing a blowfish while going down the anchor). They're just silly. The interface... well, I hate those barebone interfaces designed for tablets and little kids at their first P&C experience.
    And the writing. Oh my god.
    I said the art style is adequate... because it's a full fledged low tier nickelodeon cartoon. It's silly through and through. Forget On Stranger Tides. It's not a pirate story anymore, it's a cartoon. LeChuck - from a scary ghost pirate - became a caricature, Elaine is utterly destroyed, as is everyone else. Cartoon caricatures.
    And the writing. I don't even know where to start. Pretentious overall. I'm convinced that in 30 years Ron got sick of people asking him about Monkey Island (and a secret that never existed) and started to resent his creature. Now it's a meta story on growing old and the likes. I don't even feel bad about the ending like most people (I LOVED MI2 ending), but... AGAIN? Not that I was expecting anything different due to all the clues during the game.
    And where the hell their fixation for THE SECRET came out? They make it sounds like they didn't search for anything else since the beginning of the saga, while it was NEVER a thing.
    And why Chuckie and Guybrush aren't the ones playing, since MI2 was Guybrush's story? "Uh, no, it weren't them" yes, they were, clearly. We also saw his parents in the dream, and they were not strangers. They retconned A LOT and it sucks. Ron was hell-bent on NOT giving the fans what they wanted.
    Gilbert had no idea what to do with this game, scratched everything he planned and thought (his famous 17 points and "Guybrush goes to hell and Stan is there") and destroyed his creature.
    The music is also disappointing. I mean, it's good but... it's the bare minimum. They just basically gave an orchestration to the old tunes. And it's overdone and overcomplicated, in 1 year no one will remember those tunes, while we still perfectly remember every song in MI1 30 years later.
    A mention for Dominic Amato, who does an excellent job - still not my Guybrush voice and still doesn't sound like MI1-MI2 Guybrush should sound (too -again- cartoony), but he's GOOD at his job and he was obviously very committed to the part.
  7. Sep 24, 2022
    Disappointing.
    Don't expect a true Monkey Island 3. The writing doesn't compare to 1+2, the artstyle does not fit and the puzzles are really not as clever and challenging as Thimbleweed Park.
    Disappointing.
    I was hoping for a pirate adventure with goofy jokes and pop culture references. What I got was just another Monkey Island I didn't care for since at least Escape from Monkey Island with a lot of annoying self-references.
  8. Sep 25, 2022
    Gameplay & Puzzles: 7/10 Fun and clever, as always, but no sword/insult fight? No timed event?

Ending (s): 4/10 I preferred the endings of the others Monkey Island. This one felt like they were lacking time, and decided to somewhat copy one of the past ending.

Graphics: 2/10 It really felt like they skipped the corners. I was really disappointed by the general look.
  9. Sep 25, 2022
    my humble opinion, the existence of this project is just as tasteless
    It's your call but for now it's not recommended.
    4/10 this game at that stag
  10. Sep 27, 2022
    So eye-hurtingly hideous that it's impossible to bear; so I can't even comment beyond that.
  11. Sep 30, 2022
    Tenía mucha incertidumbre por los comentarios que se leían al respecto sobre el diseño pero una vez que ya lo he jugado tengo que decir que fue injustamente etiquetado, el juego tienen un aspecto genial.

Sin embargo para mí eso es lo de menos, la grandeza de este juego es que he sentido que estaba disfrutando otra vez de un Monkey Island de verdad, disfrutando de cada momento de la historia, de las situaciones pintorescas y de los absurdos comentarios de Guybrush, tal cual como lo disfruté hace 30 años... Y eso ha sido un logro enorme para este juego y una alegría igual de grande para mí.
  12. Sep 25, 2022
    Can't digest that they turned the iconic monkey island to this low budget, generic corpo art, soulless game. I guess it caters to a modern audience but for us folks who grew up with MI this is a major letdown art wise, script wise, puzzle wise, world wise... 4/10 from me. Now excuse me while I go play the first three games again to forget this atrocity ever happened
  13. Oct 4, 2022
    Art style is bad. Maybe it looks cool and modern to whoever designed it, but what I see is a tasteless ugly mess. It's not a remaster - the original game looks nothing like that and not because of a different technology from back of the days, but it had own style which is now completely gone.
  14. Sep 22, 2022
    Graphics: 4/10 Very poor like watching a cheap cartoon show this looks almost worse from previous games. There are no details, it's full of low polygon animations
    Gameplay: 7/10 Puzzles felt ok for being hard mode altho I haven't played it in casual mode so can't measure it.
    Story.: 3/10: Just MEH nothing memorable i expected more from the way the story was being told. It left me with a weird sense of disappointment and tiredness.
  15. Sep 25, 2022
    big disappointment the return to monkey island, don't waste your money on this cash grab attempt
  16. Sep 21, 2022
    The atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a newThe atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a new game.

The developers are creatively bankrupt. Stay away, Monkey Island fans.
  17. Sep 21, 2022
    Dejando de banda la nostalgia de la saga de monkey island, 20 años de espera para este juego? No gracias. Me explico:

Si me dijeran que este juego esta hecho por una empresa diferente, la cual ha querido retomar una saga clásica y que no tiene nada que ver con la franquicia, me lo creería, pero la realidad es que duele más saber que SI ha sido hecho por sus propios creadores (a excepción de Tim Schaffer, por suerte).

En Monkey Island 2 (MI2 en adelante) tuvo un gran final de juego, dejando abierto al jugador, pero permitiendo que la saga pudiera retomarse en un futuro con otra aventura o bien terminando poniéndole punto y final a la de MI2.

El final de este juego es decepcionante cuanto menos (me lo pasé en dificultad difícil sin usar libro de pistas en 8,5-9horas) y deja muchos cabos sueltos, no tiene ninguna historia que permita ser vinculada o resuelta con MI2, simplemente las cosas parecen metidas con calzador para así no tener que contar una historia más.

En cuanto al precio de juego, que decir por 10€ me lo hubiese comprado igual, pero n oes un precio para este (aunque me pudo la nostalgia), además me da la sensación como si fuera un port de otra plataforma (o pensado inicialmente para esta) ademas de, dar la sensación de ser un refrito de MI2, que podrían haber puesto antes del titulo Return to monkey island, REMAKE de Monkey Island 2 y lo aceptaba.

En fin, quitando de banda mi opinión, si jugaste a los anteriores juega a este, aunque bien es cierto, que la nostalgia no es la misma y te deja un sabor agridulce.

Buen gaming y buen provecho de escorbutifarras! Arrrrr
  18. Sep 20, 2022
    Not even closer the epicness of the past titles... i'm sorry, but for me is a big NO.
  19. Sep 20, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a trainwreck. Nevermind the horrible, corporate infographic art style. Nevermind the cheap, tweened Adobe-Flash-like animations. The entire game is apparently attempting to pander to the 'old fans' crowd by being chock full of references to the previous installments and revisiting old locations, while at the same time engaging in on-the-nose moves like enforcing a jarring diversification of the cast and introducing an ending that's much akin to the one in MI2, only this time it's even more of a "haha, none of it mattered" kind of thing. A damn shame, after all this time spent waiting for this. I really thought Gilbert and Grossman could do better. Expand
  20. Sep 23, 2022
    The artsyle is bad so I'm giving it a zero. I don't care about the rest of the game.
  21. Sep 21, 2022
    It is so sad to see my beloved Monkey Island become a mobile game. The art style is so bad it's unbelievable... what were they thinking? Cheap, lazy flash animation and horrible art direction... This is a disgrace.
  22. Sep 20, 2022
    Why Windows 10 only? Release a patch for Windows 7!!!
    Why Windows 10 only? Release a patch for Windows 7!!!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Edge Magazine
    Oct 6, 2022
    In both its puzzle design and its storytelling, Return to Monkey Island plays it safe. [Issue#377, p.114]
  2. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a love letter to the franchise and adventure games in general. It succeeds at what it set out to do from the outset, with a fun story, clever puzzles, and a big pinch of nostalgia to top it all off. It may play it a bit too safe, but that's easily forgotten when the rest of the experience is so consistently delightful.
  3. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is pretty much as perfect a sequel to such a series of classic games as one can get. The puzzles are just as clever as they were decades ago, the visuals are the stunning, characters both new and old are a joy to interact with and provide great humor, and the story is not only well-crafted, but also has surprisingly profound moments. It’s easily a classic that can proudly stand alongside the other Monkey Island games, and one of the year’s best games in general. Take it from a now-behind-bars Stan: it’s one worth picking up.