5.5

1. Jul 20, 2016

Why? It takes the best of all of the best games in its past, mixes them all together, and adds extra content. So what from its past did it take? -Individual army deployment, an improvement seen in XI over X but not seen in XII. -3D battles, from XII, but with an immersive, adjustable real map to go with it. -Populations, from VII, VIII, and X, an important factor for

Why?

So what from its past did it take?
    -Populations, from VII, VIII, and X, an important factor for immersion.
    -Officer gameplay, an outstanding factor seen in VII, and X.
    -All the settings upgrades they've accumulated from VII to XII.
    -Increased officer relationships and marriages, an important gameplay feature of X.
    -Individual days of the year, an outstanding feature of X.
    -Difficulty can be quite high but not superficially, and although the AI of all past games has been rather superficial, the blips in the AI is less noticeable in this new one (XIII.)
    -Debate and Dueling remakes, incorporating the beauty of XII but with an attempt at the intricacy which XI had. XI's was better than XIII in this regard, however, so minus a little bit.
    -Execution, capturing, hiring, all the great features of the past, but with a twist: Execute if they don't submit. That one's cool.
    -Character relationships & character introductions, a very immersive, NEW feature. Upgrade!
    -Saving functions better, less buggy than XI and a better GUI than XII.

Overall, this game deserves a 9, because the makers of the game need to keep working hard because it has the potential to be a much bigger hit than it has ever been. The problem is, of course, the makers trying to focus on money while skimping on content. What they don't understand is that content brings more money than otherwise. If they could add a modding feature where users could create and share scenarios, as well as easier editing features for the whole game, KOEI could go farther than this.

There is no way in hell, however, that this game deserves less than a 9.

~From a loyal fan since he was in the 6th grade.
  2. gyc
    Jan 29, 2016
    correct reviews are on steam. This is a great game, GREAT game but why 9 but not 10? There a large amount of little bugs in game, that makes -0.5, the price makes -0.5. I mean, based on a Chinese famous story line, million of Chinese buyers are ready to pay for the game, but a price like 300 RMB is 1/10 of monthly salary, which is nearly unacceptable. If Koei want to make a good deal, becorrect reviews are on steam. This is a great game, GREAT game but why 9 but not 10? There a large amount of little bugs in game, that makes -0.5, the price makes -0.5. I mean, based on a Chinese famous story line, million of Chinese buyers are ready to pay for the game, but a price like 300 RMB is 1/10 of monthly salary, which is nearly unacceptable. If Koei want to make a good deal, be successful, sells a million, it is necessary that the RTK13 PK is on a better pricing, or give original buyers a little advantage. If not, we all know 80*100000=800 000, and 40*1000 000=4 000 000, it is not double ! Expand
  3. Aug 9, 2016
    Best in the series.
    Brought back old festures
    And added new features.

Any low reviews are from the people who complain about wanting new but cry when rhey get new.

Personally i love all rotk
    Favorite is 10.
  4. Sep 1, 2017
    I am a die hard RoTK fan, been playing this series since the RoTK II back in the 80's. I am very sorry to say RoTK XIII is a failure for me. Here's why:

1. You can't transfer troops. The idea of every city has it's own troops type that you can deploy upon research, is not a bad idea, but then to make the troops not transferable to other city is a huge mistake. In the reality, when a troops won a battle, sometimes they are station there as the permanent troops of that city. Like in history when some notorious general is given a new post, his long serving soldiers or elite troops will be brought as well to the new post.
    2. If you are a ruller, you have to go visit every single of your officer one by one if you want to increase their loyalty. You can't send them gift or gold just by command, you have to travel to their home YOURSELF. This is ridiculous, because I don;t think there is any ruler that has to go door to door to beg for loyalty of his subject.
    3. The battle system is ok, but still, I miss the option of challenging the opponent officer to a duel and also the option of using several tactics like setting fire, shooting fire arrows, throwing boulders, taunt, perturb, misinform, ambush, blunder, etc, like in RoTK XI.

The only pro for this game is that it has better graphics than the previous series, that's all.
  5. Feb 11, 2016
    A game where Koei goes in full retard mode. Not acceptable. Overpriced, 50% of bugs etc etc. This list can long 4ever. The AI in the game is so bad. Worst game on a franchise.
  6. Jul 8, 2016
    Its a solid entry, its not without its issues, but for true fans of the series its worth a play, the deep rpg elements are a welcomed return, but somehow the city management feels a little clunky, overall a good fan entry, but most new players will probably be off put by the learning curve, thankfully hero mode serves as a nice way to get new players accustomed to the game play whileIts a solid entry, its not without its issues, but for true fans of the series its worth a play, the deep rpg elements are a welcomed return, but somehow the city management feels a little clunky, overall a good fan entry, but most new players will probably be off put by the learning curve, thankfully hero mode serves as a nice way to get new players accustomed to the game play while delving deep into china's rich warring kingdoms period. Expand
  7. Sep 24, 2016
    I have no desire to go into much detail on this one; the game play is drawn out and limited, the interface and just the way you go about every interaction is awkward, limited and undescriptive.

The main way to move forward in this game is to perform missions of which I seemed to only be able to do 2 at once, and man are these tediously slow. While they tick down your leader can perform independent actions, from helping the missions progress quicker to doing little side quests for small cash rewards, and on the whole its largely a slow crawl to improve you cities in its 3 domestic areas or its 3 millitaries types, its shallow and lacks interaction.
  8. Feb 21, 2017
    ROTK 13 is a excellent RTS strategy game by Koei. It's definitely the best one in the series I've played so far. The strategy phase menu and battles are streamlined. The music soundtrack is excellent. The officer portraits are awesome. You can tell Koei put a lot of heart and dedication into this game.

I have returned to change my score from a 9 to 10 for ROTK 13. It seems like Koei is listening to it's fans and released a patch to fix a lot of bugs and spelling errors in this game.

ROTK 13 is a very accessible, fun, and engaging RTS game full of fan service and flair. The new RPG elements blend nicely with the gameplay adding a nice touch for the series.

Thank you Koei for bringing ROTK 13 to the West with an English release.
  9. May 24, 2018
    The strategy aspect was basically gutted for this game. It's little more than a friendship simulator. I bought it because my computer died, and I needed to scratch the strategy itch on my ps4. I know this is the PC section, but it's literally the same game. When I told my friend I bought it (we're both RTK geeks since RTK III), he said "NO! BAD! VERY BAD! BAD IDEA! BAD BAD BAD!".

He

He wasn't lying. Somehow having nothing but close friends in your unit makes you super powerful. Somehow having the rough equivalent of 3 Zhang Fei's makes you nearly immune to enemy plots. Officers/generals with high intelligence are basically useless in battles. RTK 9 did a far better job of making both WAR and INT officers/generals far more useful in every situation. If you like the RPG aspect more, I recommend 7, 8, and 10 for that. If you like strategy more, 9 and 11 are up your alley. Everything after 11 has been a dumpster fire IMO.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 7, 2016
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII is a good RTS, but there’s plenty to learn that may put off those looking for a shorter and snappier experience.
  2. Jul 6, 2016
    It is a shame, then, that this is such a clunky, ugly mess of a game. It is rare enough that an English version of a Romance of the Three Kingdoms comes to Western shores by any other way than import and it makes me sad that – this – will be the first experience with the series for new players.
  3. Jul 5, 2016
    A decent game that simply tries too much. Mixing role playing and strategy aspects, though never the best at either, there's a lot to do. The other major issue is simply how ugly it looks outside of the drawn art.