6.4

1. Apr 28, 2018
    Such a disregard for his game and fans of the series is a disgrace! How can this be ?!
  2. Apr 21, 2018
    Civilization is my favorite franchising, but this game have so mane bugs and it seems that the developers don't care to fix ....
  3. Nov 26, 2018
    The loyalty system sucks, completely obliterates many fun aspects of the original Civ 6 and adds frustrating elements which punish the player 100 times more, and the AI does not seem to be effected by the same changes. You could place down a city and have it rebel in several turns without you ever having the opportunity to give the citizens what they want, then have it in a constantThe loyalty system sucks, completely obliterates many fun aspects of the original Civ 6 and adds frustrating elements which punish the player 100 times more, and the AI does not seem to be effected by the same changes. You could place down a city and have it rebel in several turns without you ever having the opportunity to give the citizens what they want, then have it in a constant state of revolt/capture/revolt until you just give up and raze it in disgust.

Lets talk about settling on a new continent? Nope~ better bring an army and keep recapturing that city. In a nutshell, this is borderline broken and at best just annoying content that adds more frustration to the 'average' civ player, this is purely for the elitist neckbeard players who take the game so incredibly serious and micromanage everything down to each and ever square, everyone else be damned, this DLC is basically that - not for casual civ players period.

Loyalty is best explained as removing the players ability to build cities remotely near other cities period, further reducing the ability to have sprawling multi-Continent spanning civilizations otherwise the punishments for the player are so severe, it wastes the players time considerably. But what if you start close to multiple rival civilizations? Then expect to run into loyalty based problems constantly, and for the most part - the player is always on the losing end of those battles.

Domination mode suffers too, no more sending over a large army to capture an enemy civilization, because it'll just loyalty flip within 5 turns -constantly- forcing you into pretty much razing city after city unless you want to micromanage loyalty so carefully as you can find an opening so you could actually keep a city for yourself and start a foothold.

I could go on and on, just read the more critical responses and you'll see why the harsh comments, it's going to boil down to one factor, how much micro-managing are you willing to put up with, how much frustration are you willing to put up with, this expansion makes VI somehow makes the game worse - please, do yourself a favor and just pick up Civilization V and the expansions, those are so much better.
  4. Mar 5, 2018
    A pesar de la expansión ésta es la peor de todas las series de civilización, el problema para mí sigue siendo el mismo, en cuanto la partida avanza un poco lo único que puedes hacer el pulsar el botón de siguiente turno, cada cosa que construyes tarda una cantidad ridícula de turnos, una partida de civilización 6 se puede resumir en tres palabras, click, click, click....
  5. Apr 8, 2018
    This expansion has added a lot to Civilization VI and I like a lot about it. The loyalty system makes the game way more realistic and while it can be annoying sometimes I like it overall. Governors can really improve a city and have a large impact on your game, which I really like as well. The eras feature is original, but I have some issues with it. I feel like in some occasions you don'tThis expansion has added a lot to Civilization VI and I like a lot about it. The loyalty system makes the game way more realistic and while it can be annoying sometimes I like it overall. Governors can really improve a city and have a large impact on your game, which I really like as well. The eras feature is original, but I have some issues with it. I feel like in some occasions you don't get era score when you really deserve it and the bonuses you get out of a golden age aren't really game-changing. The ways to get bonus era score after you've gone through a normal age are very limited and don't have a large impact. Overall, I think the era system would've worked better with more variety regarding ways to get era score and rewards you get after a golden or heroic era. The new leaders and troops are interesting and fairly balanced - I don't have complaints in that regard. My last problem with the expansion is that it didn't improve the AI, especially the combat AI - it's still horrible. To summarize Rise or Fall is an OK expansion to a great game, but I feel it could've been even better. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2018
    it's a dlc at best, not really an expansion. guess they put most resources into the promotional video... basically you get "eras" which is nothing more than "choose your (not that significant) bonus for this era". and "loyalty", meaning "don't settle to close to other civs", and the borders system in civ4 worked much better - here borders don't change - it's all or nothing. there are alsoit's a dlc at best, not really an expansion. guess they put most resources into the promotional video... basically you get "eras" which is nothing more than "choose your (not that significant) bonus for this era". and "loyalty", meaning "don't settle to close to other civs", and the borders system in civ4 worked much better - here borders don't change - it's all or nothing. there are also minor other changes which are good (like the casus belli for breaking a promise) but most of them should be in the base game from the beginning (like, what's the point of promises if there's no penalty for breaking a promise). braindead ai, poor diplomacy, lacking ui, questionable artistic choices, boring end-game are still here. the whole game is still decent (that's why i gave 5) but if next "expansions" are so irrelevant as this one, civ6 will never be better than 5 or 4. the magic is lost, you no longer feel you're leading a civlization trying to outsmart your opponents and making strategic choices, you feel you're playing a dumb board game with simple rules that gets boring after you survive early game... Expand
  7. Feb 12, 2018
    A game that fixed none of the problems of its predecessor and just adds a few new mechanics here and there, as well as 10 new civs.
    I couldn't care less about Civs, thought I, fix diplomacy, AI, the game becoming a chore after your empire is established - thought I they would do. But no. New civs and that's it. Shame
  8. Feb 24, 2018
    It just doesn’t add anything of any significance. The biggest addition is city loyalty, which basically boils down to don’t build a city nearer to more rival cities than to your own. That’s the single biggest new gameplay concept you’ll have to consider in this expansion, everything else is just minor (completely irrelevant in most cases) effects applied pretty much arbitrarily. NotIt just doesn’t add anything of any significance. The biggest addition is city loyalty, which basically boils down to don’t build a city nearer to more rival cities than to your own. That’s the single biggest new gameplay concept you’ll have to consider in this expansion, everything else is just minor (completely irrelevant in most cases) effects applied pretty much arbitrarily. Not randomly as such, but just as a result of things that happen regardless, so they don’t give you anything new to plan. To break it down:

Ages (Dark, Golden): The only notable effect of these is to increase or decrease city loyalty. This comes in to play if you have a city that’s outnumbered by nearby rivals - you might lose it (or gain a rival’s) in a dark age. This is something you can plan for, and is the only new thing in the expansion that you’ll have to think about (ie don’t put your own cities out on their own where you’ll lose them, and if a rival settles on bearish to you, on its own, you could try to take it by building your own cities nearby, if that fits your overall strategy, or you think it’s owrth changing your strategy just to take one city).

So how do you get dark and golden ages? Through “era points”, which are rewards for doing stuff you’d do anyway, like clearing barbarian camps, building wonders, being first to discover things, changing government, etc. It doesn’t alter how you think about the game, it just happens. It also seems totally unbalanced to me - every time I’ve played I’ve got golden eras in the first one or two, mostly thanks to killing barbarians, then a dark age as there was bugger all I could do to get era points.

Governors. You can recruit these and give them little perks, and put one in a city to increase loyalty there. The perks are mostly ignorable, as is the loyalty most of the time. Nothing to actually plan for with these, save one that unlocks some new improvements which are slightly cool.

And that’s it. Bottom line - it doesn’t make the game any deeper. It alters it slightly, and not necessarily for the better. Would have got 5/10 if it had been a free patch.

Of course, it also adds new civs and wonders, which are nice, but soooooooo not worth what Firaxis charges for them.
  9. Feb 12, 2018
    It's pretty abnormal for an expansion to be significantly worse than the main game, this is one of those rare cases.

The new civs are the best thing about it, and they are really the least exciting set of new civs Firaxis have ever released. The new mechanics are just micromanagement hell. The new districts make the gameplay bloated. The era mechanic is annoying and intrusive.

However, the worst thing about this expansion is that it doesn't address any of the real issues people had with the base game. Religious combat is still tedious, the AI is still awful, the UI is still missing many basic features (queues, decent management screens, decent mouse-over information...) and many features are also lacking (end of game map replay screen, etc.).

A poor job. Why the 'critics' love this so much, I don't know. But they are obviously out of touch with the player base.
  10. Feb 15, 2018
    A lot of money for the same broken combat AI. This game was great for a single play-through but not much more than that.
  11. Feb 10, 2018
    So AI still sucks huh ? The graphics is still cartoonish and the gameplay is still as dull ? That's enough for me.

You had amazing Civilizations from 2-4 and then you somehow managed to turn it into a piece of garbage with horrible AI being on top of it all.
  12. Feb 8, 2018
    Are you afraid of rise of the machines or what?

All the changes make sense only in multiplayer, while if you're playing VS. AI, it's still all the same and worse, because the main and fatal problem remains unfixed - weak AI. Can't understand, why developers don't spend more time on making it more competitive. AI, is everything OK with you? AI, please don't die so young! Also
    Are you afraid of rise of the machines or what?

AI, is everything OK with you? AI, please don't die so young!

Also because of new features the game becomes even more complex for AI to handle it. An average player adapts to such changes very quickly, while it seems that AI struggles more and more with every single new feature.

Of course in the end you can't make a perfect AI (or can you?), which plays better than an experinced strategist. But it doesn't mean that you should make it so stupid and forget about making it better step by step.

Good features and Greedy developers.

Speaking of new features - it's not worth the current price, but it makes the game better and more interesting - once more only if you're playing with friends. Remember, AI is not your friend! And still, while there's not a few features, they don't make it a new game at all, again - the price says the opposite, don't believe it. Draw conclusions. Also I'm sure not everyone will think that new in "Rise and Fall" equals good.

And finally not everything that developers represent as new actually is. The main example is the Golden Age. Really? You don't know about it only if you haven't played any previous Civilization. Yes, it differs, but the point is that it could have been present in Civ6 from it's very start without these "Rise and Falls" for the price of Civ7.

... Greed already ruined EA reputation. Don't be as stupid as your AI, don't ruin yours.
  13. Mar 4, 2018
    I like the new mechanics. There is a heavy focus on loyalty. It is a pressure system applied by citizens and can be affected by the new grand ages and governors. You have to be careful keeping your pressure high, also considering it when founding new or capturing enemy cities.
  14. Jul 19, 2018
    I gave 1 for Civilization 6, so I will give 0 for Rise and Fall. The developers resolved none of the problems that existed in Civ6:
    - Cartoon Graphics
    - stupid Civics Tree that makes gameplay really ridiculous, so one can have Computers without even knowing Elecrticity lol. - Useless Wonders (instead of revising them, they introduced even more useless Wonders) - just in case you don't
    - Cartoon Graphics
    - Useless Wonders (instead of revising them, they introduced even more useless Wonders) - just in case you don't know why they are useless - they are too costly and the placement of them is so ridiculous, basically there is no need to bother building more than 1 or 2 (and there are more than 20 in the game), so more than 90% of them are absolute waste of... whatever.
    - Game is not really user friendly and countavle - counting the religious influence from other cities you have to look for those arrows, same things refers to the external tourism output - you can see it, but how it grows you basically have to calculate yourself (and this is a Culture vistory main prerequisite).
    - Religion victory is impossible in multiplayer, cause any military unit can kill your missionaries (in a single player game the AI is sooooo stupid that it won't do that), which makes religious victory a step back vs diplomatic vistory in Civ5 (that at least had sense).

Instead of focusing on what's matter - Firaxis just added more ridiculous stuff
    - Golden/Dark ages - just more graphics at the end of every Age and a small and useless bonus on the top of that.continue
    - Governors - another complicated and quite useless concept that just make the game less countable.

Resume: another project that just want to get more money from the famous franchise. Don't waste your money. Seriously, just don't.
  15. Nov 21, 2018
    Overpriced DLC for biggest Civ failure, unplayable and horrible Civ 6. Rise and Fall changes almost nothing. They just want more and more money, Now they charge 40 EUR for every DLC, it means whole game costs like a used car. Dont buy it.
  16. Feb 11, 2018
    I created an account just to write this review. I don't have many complaints about this game but the main point of contention I have is the quality of the game's AI. I'm was recently made aware that all the civ games have AI problems but I've played civ 5 and I didn't see any outstanding issues similar to the one's in civ 6. I'll start with things I enjoyed about the game.

I liked the

I liked the fact that players are able to assign governors to get different perks

I liked the timeline and dark/golden age system

What I hated:

The enemy Ai's still have problems in how they manage their strategy. A few others have reported that the AI has problems with its war declaration/diplomacy system and it's absolutely true. One minute the AI you're playing against declares an alliance with you and the next minute..and i do literally mean the next minute....it declares a surprise war...in literally every..playthrough. It constantly disrupts a person's playthrough and hinders a person's ability to fully explore everything the rise and fall expansion has to offer. Typically I would assume that this mechanic had been added to challenge the player but it starts to raise questions when there's a declaration of a surprise war by an AI in every playthrough at exactly the same time in each playthrough...in settler mode. I could understand if the AI functioned this way in prince mode or something but I think it's indicative of a bug when a person is trying to play in noob or beginner mode and can't catch a break.
  17. Mar 3, 2018
    1. New content on 2-3 hours gamplay...
    2. They called it not DLC, they called it "Expension". Good marketing move Firaxis, but no.

Total: garbage DLC + Big price = great disappointment.
  18. Feb 9, 2018
    If you were hoping this expansion was gonna save Civ 6, prepare for disappointment.

The fundamental problem of 1UPT remains, so the AI still cannot properly fight. Additionally all the calculations means that late game turns really lag. There are still a whole lot of QoL issues with the UI, like Wonder videos still not showing what the effects of the wonder are, Policy Edicts which

There are still a whole lot of QoL issues with the UI, like Wonder videos still not showing what the effects of the wonder are, Policy Edicts which are outdated and need to be replaced showing you what was being lost, or how any changes will actually impact your output.

I quit and uninstalled about 8 hours into my first game, when I realised I was just playing the same old Civ 6 again, monotonous late-game micromanagement, long turn times, and a set of AI enemies that were outpaced 1000 years ago (normal difficulty).

Still we have the childish, long unit combat animations, and now silly Governor heads, like something out of a mobile game.

I wish we would just be given a Civ 4 with Hexes and modern UI, graphics and improved performance.
  19. Feb 9, 2018
    I've been all-in on Civilization since II. I still think Civ VI has the best foundation (even better than V), and I've always enjoyed the graphical direction that VI took. The AI is still the weak spot, and I really hope they address the AI front and center with the almost definite second xpac, in keeping with previous release schedules.

The governors seem great so far and you can go

The governors seem great so far and you can go deep or wide with them, setting up low-level governors across your empire, or pumping up a couple to keep a rebellious city reined in, or absolutely maximize that city's focus.

The late game is still a bit slow, but it always has been in every Civ. I'm not sure how to remedy this.
  20. Feb 10, 2018
    After putting in a few hours as Scotland, I must say the new mechanic for Dark/Golden Eras is a bit underwhelming. The bonuses for Golden/Heroic Eras only seem to be related to loyalty and in my current game city loyalty seems to have become relevant only from the mid-game onwards. The current era dedications are a bit useless too. I hope these aspects can be modded into something moreAfter putting in a few hours as Scotland, I must say the new mechanic for Dark/Golden Eras is a bit underwhelming. The bonuses for Golden/Heroic Eras only seem to be related to loyalty and in my current game city loyalty seems to have become relevant only from the mid-game onwards. The current era dedications are a bit useless too. I hope these aspects can be modded into something more interesting.

Emergencies are a really nice addition, but I'd like them to trigger more often. I've only seen it three times and I was the sole Civ to join in all of them. The end of and emergency should also force all the involved Civs to declare an automatic peace deal, imo. Right now the war rages on after the emergency is resolved.

The new diplomatic policy cards coupled with the alliance system really have upped the trading aspect of the game. Prior to RnF I'd mostly use my trade routes to promote growth domestically, but now international trade is much more interesting. I love it.

The AI seems to be more stable, without the mood swings we have seen previously in terms of diplomacy/opinion. The AI's ability to wage war and make a tactical use of its units is still a point of attention.

So far I have no opinion on the new Government District. I built it very late and the the related buildings didn't really catch my eye.

The new strucutures put in place by Firaxis are interesting but right now it feels like players will need the modders' help to be able to make the most of it.
  21. Feb 11, 2018
    This expansion expands an already fine game packed with a lot of content. I’ll say the price is justified. AI has been improved steadely since launch and is doing alright. I’ll just put this review here because some give it a rediculous score for things that will be not relevant for many. Or just for not recognising where civ 6 is in its current cycle. Every new civ game will not be aThis expansion expands an already fine game packed with a lot of content. I’ll say the price is justified. AI has been improved steadely since launch and is doing alright. I’ll just put this review here because some give it a rediculous score for things that will be not relevant for many. Or just for not recognising where civ 6 is in its current cycle. Every new civ game will not be a better experience then the last game (civ 5) which had 3 years of development and 4 full years of modding behind it. Civ 6 is doing great and will surpass civ 5 soon if it has not done so already.

It is a good buy
  22. Feb 9, 2018
    Don’t listen to this Rrichard guy here.He hates on every game except for Heart of Iron which has a 3.5 user score. This expansion is a great expansion to an already great game.
  23. Feb 10, 2018
    One of the best expansion in the series. Why? It has some of the most original features in the series that we have never seen before along with nine more nations we have never seen before along original wonders units buildings natural wonders.... And I applause that they tried new things in the right direction, that of immersion.

Also I can't criticize the expansion for not fixing

Also I can't criticize the expansion for not fixing something that was all along in the series, bad AI. The AI was ALWAYS bad in civilization as in most strategy games, cause a strategy AI needs a computer you don't have. Actually I find the AI of this game a little better than that of V, cause it declares wars to me sometimes, something that in V it was almost impossible. Although it does not know what to do with all that army, but that was happening in V too(and cause cities where overpowered in V you decimate enemy armies in defence).

*Civilization now is a game with hexes and many units, when Chess is with squares and some units. To have a computer to win a good chess player you need military staff with academic softwares. So think about it. Of course with time limit things are different but that is also true with civilization, try limited time, and then you will see a much more challenging AI.
  24. Feb 19, 2018
    I have to say that after my first playthrough, I'm looking forward to playing more of the expansion. However, I feel I must firstly mention what kind of gamer I am, since my perspective weights in heavily on my thoughts and score. I play the game as a pastime, in hot seat mode with one more player against AIs on King difficulty and, on principle, am not striving or enjoying dominationI have to say that after my first playthrough, I'm looking forward to playing more of the expansion. However, I feel I must firstly mention what kind of gamer I am, since my perspective weights in heavily on my thoughts and score. I play the game as a pastime, in hot seat mode with one more player against AIs on King difficulty and, on principle, am not striving or enjoying domination victories. I like to grow and manage my own cities and compete against 'balanced opponents' (preferably such who don't beat me, but are challenging through the eras). The fist game of Rise and Fall I had was probably the most fun I had with Civ VI since its release.

Note: I might update my thoughts collected here after a couple of more games.

What I liked:
    + The difficulty of playing against the AI. I played the vanilla game with the Smoother Difficulty mod, but decided to try stock Rise and Fall to see whether there was an improvement. I don't know for sure yet, but the AI did way better than before since I had a bad start, but I did not outclass the AI in late game the way I used to before. The game ended by turn 350 and the top AIs were scientifically and culturally on a similar level to human players, something I found vastly entertaining. The fist game was not too easy to become boring and not too difficult to become frustrating.
    + some adjustments to social policies removing some easily exploitable possibilities from the base game,
    + the dark/golden/normal era system adding a nice layer of competition (though I find heroic ages to be slightly too strong; they are from my experience too easy to score and the 3 bonuses to choose from is an overkill),
    + more variety, since new Civs, units and wonders are always welcome.

What I didn't like:
    - overall, during wars the AI did slightly better than before, but that's nothing to write home about,
    - the AI's diplomacy has somewhat improved too, the decision the AI made did not seem so erratic, but the agendas system remains too punishing (negative modifiers from different governments or personal agendas, like the Viking's, are nearly impossible to mitigate by other actions),
    - some of the new Civs seem very strong; especially Korea with its insane bonuses and unique district,

What I didn't like as much as I hoped or have mixed feelings about:
    - while governors are a nice addition, subjectively I didn't feel enthralled by managing another mechanic; also, some governors seem to be obviously better than others,
    - the loyalty system is interesting, it slows down conquest or allows to expand your empire during peaceful playthroughs - this is a plus; however, it appears to 'ruin' the early game by emphasising the need to rush your settlers and grab land even more than before because if you linger or have a bad start (e.g. your progress is hampered by barbarians) you won't be able to hold your newly settle cities due to loyalty pressure. I feel that the loyalty system in the early game could use some tweaking,
    - the emergency mechanic sounds amazing on paper, but due to the AI's ineptitude its implementation is rather mediocre and, as such, had marginal impact on my playthrough. However, in principle it is fun and may easily reward an active player.

Overall, for a casual player who enjoys leading a civilisation, the expansion should be a fun addition to the vanilla mechanics which offers variety and freshness. For hardcore players who enjoy domination and want a wargame, not so much.
  25. Apr 3, 2018
    This game has many of the same problems that civ 5 has: glitching/freezing, AI that will act ridiculously (in my first game I was at peace with the english while they were attacking me). Like in civ 5, terrain that produces production is disproportionately valueable in the beginning. Like in civ 5, there is no functional map editor to create starting positions and what not to playThis game has many of the same problems that civ 5 has: glitching/freezing, AI that will act ridiculously (in my first game I was at peace with the english while they were attacking me). Like in civ 5, terrain that produces production is disproportionately valueable in the beginning. Like in civ 5, there is no functional map editor to create starting positions and what not to play made-up scenarios, which even civ 2 had. like civ 5, the graphics are fancy. happiness is city level, which (with housing) makes growing cities more difficult, favoring ICS strategy. Definately not worth the $. Expand
  26. Apr 5, 2018
    Rise and Fall soars with newly added features and minor tweaks, but does not bring about enough changes to complete the flawed title of Sid Meier's Civilization VI.
  27. Apr 14, 2018
    Great addition to an already great game.
    I love the loyalty mechanic and how it all glues in together with the other 2 major new features: ages and governors.
    Great addition to an already great game.
    Also 8 new civs and 9 leaders were added. As well as new (natural) wonders, new spy mechanics, a new government building. Other new features include the change in Alliances and the emergency system. All great additions, although the emergency system needs a bit more tweaking in my view
    What’s good about Firaxis is that they continue to update and rebalance the game and listen to a lot of feedback. Since launch in February there’s been one update already and another coming very soon.
  28. Aug 1, 2018
    I love that they brought a completely new part of gameplay. The game needs to evolve for it to be fun to play and this dlc added about 30 hours to my time in this game and the game was more enjoyable then before. The dlc wasn't revolutionary or amazing, but i think it was successful enough to give it a 8/10.
  29. Aug 20, 2018
    This games great, ive played Civ 5 and this one. This ones hands down better, looks way better, and the game mechanics work better too.
  30. Nov 24, 2018
    I appreciated new features. They make gameplay more deep and interesting. The new expansion is base on mainly on the introduction of loyalty and dark/golden age progressing through the ages. Raise and fall introduce new civilitations also. Maybe no an essential expansion but if you want expand and make your game bit better you should buy it. In general I am happy of Civ Raise and Fall.
  31. Jan 1, 2019
    CIVILIZATION VI IS THE WORSE IN THE SAGA.
    It´s bad, it´s just plain bad, you click on the right, and points to the left. Select a unit and it will open a menu that doesn´t have anything to do with it. Oh, you have units available, how about I tell you to go to the next round? You just conquered a city? oh don´t worry, you can keep it, if the war finishes in the next 3 rounds.
    Was this
    CIVILIZATION VI IS THE WORSE IN THE SAGA.
    Was this programed by a blind monkey with parkinsons?
    FCK THIS GAME. FCK THE DEVELOPERS. FCK 2K FOR PUBLISHING CRAP LIKE THIS.
    They´ve taken a beloved saga and turned it into the biggest dissapointment of 2018, since Civ IV that they can´t do a good game (maybe they are too focused on SCREWING THE FANS UP instead of making a decent game).
    Hey 2K, Firaxis, next time you are going to rape your customers, at least give us something good, just something, because not even the ost keeps the same volume from one song to the other, which by the way are AWEFUL, some gutural song, some chinese harp and the plain base melody just to mention a few.
    I still can´t believe something like this exists...and not only that, they even have the balls to publish and release an expansion....to make this crap into a tiranosaurus crap.
    What a waste of time.
  32. Feb 15, 2019
    Rise and Fall is to Civ VI what Gods and Kings was to Civ V: it's not as huge a paradigm shift as Brave New World was to the previous Civ but it does add an extra layer of complexity (which some may or may not like) with the addition of new gameplay mechanics involving Golden Ages, Historic Moments, Governors and Loyalty. The expansion also brings along what you'd expect in a CivRise and Fall is to Civ VI what Gods and Kings was to Civ V: it's not as huge a paradigm shift as Brave New World was to the previous Civ but it does add an extra layer of complexity (which some may or may not like) with the addition of new gameplay mechanics involving Golden Ages, Historic Moments, Governors and Loyalty. The expansion also brings along what you'd expect in a Civ expansion, including more leaders, more civs, more wonders and more improvements. Is it enough to make you ignore some of its shortcomings? I think so and that's why I still enjoy playing Civ VI: I'm definitely looking forward to the new expansion which is just around the corner. Expand
  33. Mar 11, 2019
    AI still sucks. Way to many push notes for uninteresting stuff. Otherwise i like the changes.
  34. May 3, 2019
    A decent expansion that fixes a bit of stupidity of the AI, although leaving the most glaring holes. A system of loyalty and dark/golden ages. A few leaders to take advantage of the new features and some escenarios. Probably the weakest of all expansions of the history of civilization but cool on discount.

It adds a bit more of strategy on warmongering.
  35. Jul 13, 2019
    They have made some improvements in this add on but they've made the loyalty system much too strong and really confusing so you'll find cities randomly rebelling over and over and over again. And they should have had dissidents appear and try to take your city, instead they appear and they've already taken your city. You really have to read the instructions to figure out what the f isThey have made some improvements in this add on but they've made the loyalty system much too strong and really confusing so you'll find cities randomly rebelling over and over and over again. And they should have had dissidents appear and try to take your city, instead they appear and they've already taken your city. You really have to read the instructions to figure out what the f is going on. I think on some level it's realistic but it's just not obvious playing it what the issue is or what it's happening and it kind of ruins the fun. On cities you've conquered YOU MUST put a governor in the city or the AI will simply take the city away from you... over and over and over again. This is one of the few things that threw me and made me feel crazy and angry. Otherwise it's pretty good. Expand
  36. Jan 3, 2020
    The first major expansion for Civilization VI of course adds the usual new leaders and nations, but its the new 'era' and 'loyalty' mechanics that will be of more interest to fans of the series.

The good news is they both work well as an extension of the base game, adding extra complexity and ensuring that you have to keep active during peace times and whilst at war. For what it offers it is arguably a little too expensive at full price but there are always plenty of offers on Steam so anyone that enjoyed Civ VI would do well to pick this up.
  37. May 25, 2020
    Какой-то дикий дисбаланс в игре. Построил второй город на самом хлебном месте. Сразу бунт - жрать жителям нечего, хотя пищи в округе тьма. После такого косяка дальше играть смысла нет. Пойду в старую циву играть.
  38. Aug 22, 2020
    Очередное дополнение, глобально ничего не вносит в игру 7/10
  39. Mar 2, 2021
    quite litteraly the best civ expansion ever, just makes the game a bit more realistic, the loyalty system is great, at least now everyone has a chance to do a great brittain and lose all you power by uprisings
  40. May 14, 2021
    L'apport de la gestion des âges d'or et sombre est intéressant et pousse à mieux gérer les gains de points. De même que la gestion de la loyauté, avec un meilleur placement des villes, qui parfois force des interactions.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 48 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 25, 2018
    There's no real reason to go for Rise and Fall unless you're a huge Civ VI nut who needs more content. The line between expansion and DLC is thin, and Rise and Fall lands right on the line. It's worth buying if you want more Civilization, but casual players may want to wait for a price drop or a meatier expansion.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 24, 2018
    Plenty of numbers, indicators and conditions that mostly have no real effect. And also, ideas built on unsteady legs. Please meet a modern Civilization and its DLC. [Issue#283]
  3. Apr 24, 2018
    Add-on full of good, but unfinished ideas, spoiled by an artificial intelligence. However, this extension enriches the Sixth Civilization, but certainly not enough to convince a fan to buy it, especially when the price is not cheap.