- Summary: It's 199X, you're in the driver seat. As you turn the key and hear the engine starting, a cassette plays on the stereo. The clear blue sky invites you to escape, to explore a world of exotic landscapes and thrilling races. Step on the gas, choose your path, drive across cities, mountains,It's 199X, you're in the driver seat. As you turn the key and hear the engine starting, a cassette plays on the stereo. The clear blue sky invites you to escape, to explore a world of exotic landscapes and thrilling races. Step on the gas, choose your path, drive across cities, mountains, deserts, forests, beaches — places from all over the world and beyond.… Expand
Apr 20, 2022Slipstream is a panacea for all OutRun nostalgics looking for something similar but that knows how to stand out. Drifting is wonderful in front of such well-made backgrounds, especially if there is a varied but always perfectly apt soundtrack to frame it all. Ansdor's is clearly a passion project, the videogame equivalent of project cars that enthusiasts build in their garage with their own hands. Excellent in its extreme simplicity, varied in the offer and satisfies to drive pad in hand. It is difficult to ask for more from a video game like Slipstream, maybe I have a bit more attention to detail but you can get over it without problems.
Apr 20, 2022Slipstream is truly a work of love. Its gameplay honors its source material and if you look closely at the rivals that challenge you on each track you’ll know Ansdor is definitely a fan of racing in the media as a whole (I see you Tofu Boy…but why isn’t your car white? Also how does Din Mikal feel about family?). The game might feel a little too punishing at times, but Ansdor leaves plenty of accessibility options to flatten the learning curve. Outrun might be stuck in the garage, but Slipstream is out there cruising the streets and it’s a perfectly viable ride!
Jul 24, 2018While frustrating due to it abiding by the limits set by retro racers, Slipstream is still a cool treat for any fan of the classics. It looks, sounds and feels like it came from that era. I’m sure if you were to slap a cover sticker on a Genesis cartridge and ask someone that’s never heard of the game if they’ve ever played this back in the day, they’d probably say yes. That’s how convincing it is.
Mar 26, 2019Slipstream looks fantastic, with a real sense of speed, it's just tough to win. It's far more fun to play than other games trying to emulateSlipstream looks fantastic, with a real sense of speed, it's just tough to win. It's far more fun to play than other games trying to emulate that 80s arcade driving experience.… Expand
Dec 16, 2019Simple game that seems daunting at first due to the speed you travel at, but after a bit of play becomes very accessible due to the gameSimple game that seems daunting at first due to the speed you travel at, but after a bit of play becomes very accessible due to the game actually moving a lot slower than it looks. This is not a fault, you have time to admire the scenery and enjoy the soundtrack while doing some casual drifting.
No rebindable controls was a bit of a bummer, it would be nice to bind gas to "A" and brake to "X" instead of being bound to "R" and "L" (respectively).
- At the start of each race, always move to the side until the cars pass you and you get up to speed.
- Don't worry about slipstreaming, it isn't as big of a deal as it seems. When it happens, let it happen, but otherwise focus on drifting and avoiding cars in your path.
- Always drift wide, it gives you more time to respond to the next drift.
- If you don't care about performance on Leaderboards (I didn't), when in Grand Prix Mode do 1 point into Handling for every two points spent each on Top Speed and Acceleration. This lets you get away with making a handful of mistakes on Medium while still being able to get first place.
- If you aren't going to get first place during a Grand Prix race, restart the track. You can do this an unlimited amount of times, so it lets you get your muscle memory down if you're really having issues with a race. For what it's worth, I only ever had to restart the first race of a Cup a couple times - keep in mind any funds spent will be reset when restarting a track.
- The hardest race in Grand Prix is always the first of each Cup, since you have no upgrades on your vehicle yet (it doesn't seem like AI vehicles get upgrades, so later tracks get easier).
Overall it's a simple, enjoyable racer that lets you feel like you're going really fast while always giving you a good amount of time to respond to what's coming at you on-screen.… Expand
Mar 4, 2020it looks like crap... but oh is this fun!! I TOTALLY recommend this!
Check out the tutorial on drifting though, that'll make a hell of ait looks like crap... but oh is this fun!! I TOTALLY recommend this!
Check out the tutorial on drifting though, that'll make a hell of a difference :-)… Expand