7.8

1. Sep 30, 2020
    While it does a lot of things right (most notably the art), the story in Spiritfarer is just so soul destroying (ironic) that I grew to dislike it.

Contrary to what the game might like to tell you, the real story of Spiritfarer is: "you are an errand girl". That sums up every character arc in the game. You find the character, sometimes pass a trial for them to deign to board your ship, then you satisfy their every demand, which they have a considerable amount of: feed me, build me a house, furnish my house, fulfill my life's calling for me, etc.. The earlier characters are at least friendly and thankful while you help them, but two of the later ones will just mock how much of a sucker you are while bossing you around (and I don't care that they probably have redemption arcs, I just want to kick them off my ship, preferrably in the middle of the ocean). Then after you've completed their story you send them on their way to the underworld. Which honestly is a pretty emotional affair, I have to admit I was sad for some time after the first character left (the next few were significantly less impactful), but that's not really due to the writing or the story; the art is pulling ALL the punches here.

And what a beautiful game this is. The drawn art is fine, nothing spectacular, but the particle effects certainly are. When the first eclipse occurred my jaw dropped.

The game also doesn't sufficiently tell you what you need to do. At first this is a good thing, it's fun to learn new things without being hand held, but at some point you will need certain resources in order to progress. This happened to me twice already: turns out that resource only appears at one location on the entire map, you just have to find it yourself, and until you do you cannot progress further in the story. This also breaks the pacing of the story; I had a favorite character, until his next request is an item that's so far from reach that for hours he only had lines asking for that item and I ended up hating that character.

The more I write, the more I feel like dropping this down to a 6 or even 5. But in the end I decided not to. Any game that can make me play 5 hours in one sitting has done something right, and for Spiritfarer, those are the visuals, the unique setting, and the progression of upgrading the ship.
  2. Aug 26, 2020
    Wow. What a game. Spiritfarer is a slow burn game about the afterlife. With its gorgeous animation and fluid controls (Yes, use a controller. Its not bad on keyboard, but an Xbox controller makes it feel perfect) you'll fall in love with any aspect of the game. As a simple warning, this game DOES NOT hold your hand. You will have to explore and think for yourself to progress. However,Wow. What a game. Spiritfarer is a slow burn game about the afterlife. With its gorgeous animation and fluid controls (Yes, use a controller. Its not bad on keyboard, but an Xbox controller makes it feel perfect) you'll fall in love with any aspect of the game. As a simple warning, this game DOES NOT hold your hand. You will have to explore and think for yourself to progress. However, you'll be listening to a stellar soundtrack as you do it. I cannot count how many times I found hours just melting away as I tended to crops, cooking meals or just chatting with the incredible cast of spirits I've found the journey. After playing a large array of games this year, this one just happens to be my favorite of 2020 so far. Expand
  3. Aug 26, 2020
    It's a damn good game. And dare I say a soul searching, if not even a soul cleaning one. Yes, I realize how cheesy that sounds. But it's affecting and touching approach will seep into you, slowly and unconsciously. You play a girl who basically shepherds and gives refuge to her former friends and family on a ship while they traverse through the afterlife in anthropomorphic animal form.It's a damn good game. And dare I say a soul searching, if not even a soul cleaning one. Yes, I realize how cheesy that sounds. But it's affecting and touching approach will seep into you, slowly and unconsciously. You play a girl who basically shepherds and gives refuge to her former friends and family on a ship while they traverse through the afterlife in anthropomorphic animal form. It's a management/crafting hybrid with platform (and other) elements, and it's surprising how rewarding it is. Given the simple and unchallenging the gameplay.

Cursing and some minor adult themes aside, there ironically isn't a bone of malice throughout this entire experience of death. Which is typically almost anathema to an endorsement for me. I'm as desensitized as any gamer, and have played my share of f'ed up, brutal survivor horror games or whatever myriads of genres that try to push the envelope. However, the wholesomeness in this game feels earned and genuine, and its authentic tenderness alone make this game a success and unique. And maybe that tenderness is exacerbated by the current state of the world. But god damn it, having a game invoke such considerations and feelings is refreshing.

Now, the art is beyond fantastic. The closest game it reminded me of visually was actually Torrin's Passage. Basically playing a Don Bluth cartoon against some truly detailed backdrops and landscapes. There wasn't a moment I grew tired of the sameness, even revisiting many places many times. You grow to really care about the characters and their well-being, and they are more helpful than say, the wives in the Harvest Moon series. The animal designs were cool and suited their personalities.

It's not for everyone however. It's pseudo-niche, and frankly I'm glad it is. Obviously those seeking conventional gameplay with, well, actual risk, should stay away. Same with traditional crafting and management games. It's a true hybrid of genres, and I think it synergizes well. Overall, it's surprisingly immersive, and you will probably find yourself thinking about it when it's over. Highly recommend.
  4. Aug 28, 2020
    So after playing through the game, I'm thrilled and disappointed at the same time. The first 10 hours are great, amazing story. But then it quickly fades away, until the story is no longer there. The game builds on a climax, only to let it fall. The first characters are brilliant, the rest are irrelevant.

The building and gameplay is unfortunately only a time waste. The tinkering exists only to slow you down. The jump gameplay works, but hardly exist in a meaningful way.

Conclusion: Not a bad game, but it clearly should have stopped after 10 hours, instead of focusing on quantity. Much wasted potential and fans of stories are more and more disappointed at the end. Wouldn't buy it again or only reduced. Most positive reviews unfortunately didn't play through the game and don't describe how much it is losing on story side. Still not a bad game, but would not buy it again.

The whole gameplay is pretty boring. The animations and the story are the reason to keep on playing, if the story gets worse and worse in the end the developers have definitely done something wrong. I really wanted to like it, but then it should have been over after 10 hours and at a cheaper price.
  5. Aug 20, 2020
    Does not spark joy. While it is beautiful to look at and listen to, it’s riddled with current trends and cliches. This is kind of a game for Tumblr kids. Nothing is particularly deep, the characters ramble on, and the player character is obnoxious and of course she has a cat. *eye roll*
  6. Aug 19, 2020
    Spiritfarer is a game where you would help guide spirits to the afterlife and the game itself have a unique art style and a beautiful soundtrack. This game is not meant to be rush and require a huge amount of patience as it is a relaxing game where players are able to enjoy the game's music, story, farming system and also base management.

The game does a really good job at making me

The game does a really good job at making me emotionally attached to the characters, the story is gorgeous and how saying good bye to the characters you been spending time have always been a tear-jerker moment for me which is the theme of this game. Overall for an indie game Thunder Lotus have outdid themselves and they deserve all the praise they are getting.
  7. Aug 28, 2020
    The game gave me peaceful moments that i cant have in normal life. I love it
  8. Sep 14, 2020
    Ein wunderschönes, entspannendes Management-Spiel mit einer melancholischen Note. Die Animationen sind einfach fantastisch und allein der Aspekt dass man fast jeden Charakter umarmen kann zaubert ein Lächeln aufs Gesicht. Auch die Welt ist angenehm groß und es gibt immer etwas zu tun. Ich finde kein Haar in der Suppe. Mein Spiel des Jahres!
  9. Aug 21, 2020
    Such a beautiful, unique game. It's hand-drawn visuals combine with a unique story and a casual exploration - management hybrid 2D platformer that beans with charm. It took about half an hour for me to get hooked and I am looking forward to the many hours this hauntingly poignant has left for me.
  10. Aug 24, 2020
    what a letdown. the animation is fantastic but the game is unplayable because the rebinding options are lacking. you can rebind keys except for one key used to - apparently - play guitar. and that key is "f" which interferes with my movement bindings, so whenever I walk right I end up forcibly stopped and playing guitar over and over

der thunder lotus, learn to program a user interface.
  11. Aug 20, 2020
    Such a great game. There are no legions of undead to mow down. no min/max stats to be acquired, just beautiful hand-drawn graphics, simple and enjoyable game mechanics and a wonderful story.
  12. Aug 21, 2020
    So far i love the game. Hearth warming adventure with beautifully written characters.
  13. Aug 24, 2020
    It's everything I wish Animal Crossing was. It's characters are engaging and oftentimes pretty damn heavy, and although the gameplay is relatively chill, the way in which you progress can actually get pretty tricky. Almost puzzle like. But at the same time, it maintains that feeling of progress that Animal Crossing lacks (by design).
  14. Sep 24, 2020
    Oh no bruv!

Spiritfarer is soulless bilge posing to be "wholesome" or "spiritual". Unlikable characters. For a relaxed game, controls feel so janky, too. Characters are so obnoxious. They all seem to be happy about their odd lives, even though there's nothing human (they look like animals i kno) about them. This is one of those games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons where it's
    Oh no bruv!

This is one of those games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons where it's taboo to state out how the game actually made you feel sick.

This made game made me feel sick.
  15. Aug 28, 2020
    It's beautiful, but that's about it. Your first 30 minutes consists of jumping around a few times, tapping through about 200 prompts of pretty meh dialogue, clicking 3 buttons to build a house on your boat, and then jumping into sparkles with no danger, no stakes at all.

Where is the game?
  16. Sep 19, 2020
    Spiritfarer is a relaxing game. The story is really vivid, and sometimes brings tears into your eyes. The graphics are superb and made entirely in 2d. Magnified with some great effects. The game itself doesn't consist in combats and such. It's a series of tasks that required collecting, making stuff and some micro managements. Some of those are fun like cooking, some are painful and dull,Spiritfarer is a relaxing game. The story is really vivid, and sometimes brings tears into your eyes. The graphics are superb and made entirely in 2d. Magnified with some great effects. The game itself doesn't consist in combats and such. It's a series of tasks that required collecting, making stuff and some micro managements. Some of those are fun like cooking, some are painful and dull, like smiting. There is a lot of backtracking. And I mean a lot of a lot. At half the story, you get so many spirits to manage that it mess up what you have to do. A clearer and progressive path to each spirits would have been better. I give the game 82%. I love the story. The game isn't perfect but the story make up for it. Expand
  17. Sep 7, 2020
    A very meditative and immersive game, with an interesting idea, but quickly boring gameplay
  18. Oct 6, 2020
    Perfect. Absolutely adorable, I loved it so much. The character, the goodbyes...
  19. Sep 29, 2020
    Yeah it's kinda grindy, and pacing could drag on, but you I can't refuse, that developers gave this game all their hearts and spirit. I'm really happy that I played this game, but I just don't feel that I'm gonna back to this game anymore. Still a great, heartwarming adventure that anyone should checkout
  20. Aug 29, 2020
    This game held a mirror up to me in the way I deal with death.

This game held a mirror up to me in the way I deal with death.

A spirit tells me she has to go, that it's time to go to the Everdoor. Instead of sitting with how it makes me feel, I tend to vegetables, cook meals, build structures etc. It reminded me of the week I had to put my dog to sleep. At first, I didn't want to face it so I started doing more errands. Then I realized that I had to be there for my dog in his final days, and that it wasn't about me, it was about his comfort before I decide to let him go.

It's funny how my tendency of pushing uncomfortable feelings deeper inside me in the face of tragedy and away from vulnerability translates so well in the way I played Spiritfarer. By the end, I had forced myself to stop fast traveling so much. Instead I would take a long route to the Everdoor and try to spend more time with the spirits and not get too caught up with the sim aspect of the game. It's probably the first game in a long time where I felt present , made the spirit their favorite food before their trip home, hugging them. Reminded me of giving my dog his last walk in the park, giving him his favorite food, and of course...hugging him.

I'm thankful for what this game has revealed to me. It was hard for me to accept but I needed to see it.
  21. Sep 1, 2020
    This is a relatively slow game, most comparable to stardew valley and animal crossing. however, I believe this game does it so much better. It's definitely a more adult game but not for the reasons of gore/sexual content like others are. It really makes you think about those important in your life as each spirit is (I think to be) like someone you know. From your grandmother and teacher toThis is a relatively slow game, most comparable to stardew valley and animal crossing. however, I believe this game does it so much better. It's definitely a more adult game but not for the reasons of gore/sexual content like others are. It really makes you think about those important in your life as each spirit is (I think to be) like someone you know. From your grandmother and teacher to a little kid who can't do anything right, this game captures many types of people. And definitely, as the language was not intended for kids, the at times offensive comments that are named are a nice change and make it feel more relatable Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critic Reviews

1. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 21, 2020
    Even though it touches upon the themes of death and saying goodbye to your loved ones, Spiritfarer feels warm and upbeat. It also doesn’t feel like work, which is a rare thing for management games. [Issue#248, p.43]
  2. Sep 25, 2020
    Spiritfarer is a poignant bridge between Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and a ferryman of the dead simulator. It’s lovely, sad, full of emotions, death and management.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Sep 10, 2020
    Spiritfarer loses itself in so much tiresome back-and-forth, ladling on delightful incidental details in the hope that you won't notice that each character's story has become little more than an extended shopping list. [Issue#350, p.96]