7.3

1. Jun 4, 2017
    There are much to love and much to hate about this game. The bad things sometime overshadow the good: UI that favours the use of controllers, movements that favour the use of controllers, artificial difficulty from implementation of randomness due to some sub-optimal design decision. The good thing is that the devs are actively polishing it up so that the greatness of this game can showThere are much to love and much to hate about this game. The bad things sometime overshadow the good: UI that favours the use of controllers, movements that favour the use of controllers, artificial difficulty from implementation of randomness due to some sub-optimal design decision. The good thing is that the devs are actively polishing it up so that the greatness of this game can show through: great narrative, the great feeling you get when your plans worked and the great hilarity when they don't because of some silliness of your part, the truly wonderful music and many more. Give this game a chance, or many chances and you might end up loving it. Expand
  2. May 30, 2017
    Great beautiful game almost like my favorite Prison Simulator VR. i Would highly recommend playing it. Polygon who put 55 are just too dumb to be able to play it so they just could finish it.
  3. Jun 29, 2017
    Maybe interesting story and universe. 1 good point
    controls are hard to master but doable. evade harsh planets etc.
    Maybe interesting story and universe. 1 good point
    controls are hard to master but doable. evade harsh planets etc.
    some flight vector corridor in solarsystem you can aim at would be nice cause watching an arrow slowly moving across isnt that entertaining cause when you accelerate too much you bypass the planets like sonic the hedgehog on speed. most of the time you have to do things slow and steady because of controls,physics and that just sucks and is boring.
    the point where i said screw this was when i did a landing direct on resource marker on an arctic planet with moderate winds. so i stand there with lander on ground watching it sliding on ground gettin blown away by wind. sure. losing would be fun if gameplay was fun. nice characters and story cant compensate the lack of good gameplay
  4. May 30, 2017
    (disclaimer: received game for free)

(disclaimer: received game for free)

TLJH is a space game that bucks the trend. Never have I played a game which so perfectly captures my understanding of the reality of a human crew space mission. Most games want to give you a tough avatar, so your ship can take a pounding, fly anywhere, refuel for nothing and protect you. TLJH spins that on its head by making your spacecraft a precious and fragile resource.

The early part of the game is punishing. There is no hand-held tutorial or lengthy explanation of survival strategy. Learning all the mistakes which will kill your crew and destroy your ship can be frustrating. The game forces you to consider your first few forays as the training the Daedalus' crew would have undoubtedly undertaken. Even down to simple tasks such as lining up the drill head or staying stable on a planet with high winds have to be learned on the hoof.

But there is a point during The Long Journey Home when you realise that you have been steadily trained with an impressive array of skills and judgement. You feel like an EXPERT. Asteroid fields, which once represented certain calamity, now offer a safe and manageable way to gather resources. You become adept at judging whether a system or planet is worth visiting for its resources, which crew member to send, on which on-board issues to spend your precious and limited resources. Is the Lander drill only collecting Hydrogen at 70%? I might live with that. I'd rather fix the Fuel Efficiency. The Long Journey Home is, in keeping with its name, a marathon rather than a sprint.

Brimming beneath this voyaging simulation is a universe of surprising personality and content. Numerous alien races, with a multitude of named NPCs come your way and offer detailed quests. Ancient and recent ruins litter nearby planets. Brothels, tournaments and obscure games played with stones all randomly colour your journey through the black. 15 hours in I have seen very little content twice.

Lastly, despite essentially being a grown-up Thrust clone, The Long Journey Home is incredibly beautiful. It's the treatment Thrust might get if a major movie studio decided to adapt it. I'm an Elite Dangerous veteran, but TLJH still surprised me with its light-mottled wreckage drifts, vast planetary horizons and forests of tall crystal. The sound is minimalist, but perfectly captures the bleak loneliness of the journey, occasionally interspersed with life-threatening drama.

Perhaps the only sticking point I can see is the price. The simple play style and interface does not seem at first like the sort of game to command $40. The vast alien cultures and depth are hidden away, perhaps unfortunately, behind a text-comms interface. Having played it, I would pay that price. It certainly has the depth to warrant it, but perhaps it will put players off by looking too indie for a full price tag? My advice would be: don't hold back. Don't miss out on one of the years most truly unique and beautiful titles.
  5. Jun 10, 2017
    I've just started the game and I'm lost already. Stranded 50.000 Parsecs away from earth, with low fuel, a burning ship and an injured crew. Just 5 minutes in the game, pirates came and tried to kill me, an alien race infected my whole ship with a deadly disease and my planetary lander was destroyed by too high planetary gravity while the pilot slowly suffocated to death.

10/10, would

10/10, would buy again. Seriously. This game is genius.
  6. May 31, 2017
    After spending 9 hours into the game I can definitely recommend this gem. Prepare for some struggle in the beginning because you are playing a roguelike and you are expected to die. But once you learned the basic you will explore a rich universe full of freaky, funny and interesting characters and a lot of stuff to do. I don’t recall the last time a played a game till 4 in the morningAfter spending 9 hours into the game I can definitely recommend this gem. Prepare for some struggle in the beginning because you are playing a roguelike and you are expected to die. But once you learned the basic you will explore a rich universe full of freaky, funny and interesting characters and a lot of stuff to do. I don’t recall the last time a played a game till 4 in the morning without realizing it at all. Expand
  7. May 31, 2017
    It just a simulator of falling shuttle, drived by paralized astronaut, who never previsiously flight anywhere in his life. He teach landing in process, but his arms dont moving. He has only a mouse cursor, following to him gaze and one engines activating button, pressing by him tongue. Too sad.
  8. Feb 15, 2019
    If you're looking for a sci-fi point 'n' click adventure because that's what you'd expect from a company like Daedalic, then I'm sorry to say that The Long Journey Home isn't it. It's in fact a difficult and frustrating mix of space survival sim and roguelike with mini-games that are infuriating instead of fun; Star Control II, a game that is 26 years old, does just about everythingIf you're looking for a sci-fi point 'n' click adventure because that's what you'd expect from a company like Daedalic, then I'm sorry to say that The Long Journey Home isn't it. It's in fact a difficult and frustrating mix of space survival sim and roguelike with mini-games that are infuriating instead of fun; Star Control II, a game that is 26 years old, does just about everything better. However, if you're in the market for a challenging, sci-fi roguelike that bears some similarities to the aforementioned classic game then by all means, give this game a shot. Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2017
    After spending 26 hours now, I have to say that I never played a game with more Easter Eggs or good jokes.. Many people say that it's to hard, but with a bit more competence than a Mizzurani you can easy handle that, even in normal mode, after a few hours. The Soundtrack is beautiful and the artworks to..
    For me it's a great game and I had a lot of fun in-game and in livestreams. 10/10

1. Jul 23, 2017
    The Long Journey Home regurgitates ideas from Out There and FTL. If you mastered those two games and desperately want more of the same, here's your fix.
  2. Jul 17, 2017
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Jul 12, 2017
    From a graphic point of view, it‘s a beautiful space trip but an unimaginably difficult mini-games and devastating random encounters kill all the fun. Only true enthusiasts of the genre with a lot of patience can take it.