7.2

1. May 14, 2018
    dude just buy it, the graphics in 4k are absolutely top notch i have never seen a forest looking real as in this game and its fun and very addicting too.
  2. Feb 28, 2017
    theHunter: Call of the Wild can be dubbed the “ground-breaking open world hunting simulator” you’ve been waiting for. You can expect realistic animal behavior, different weather conditions and ballistics. If you are expecting an extensive tutorial, you won't find it here. What you will find at the beginning of the game is being dropped into the hunting world with a gun and a map. Do expecttheHunter: Call of the Wild can be dubbed the “ground-breaking open world hunting simulator” you’ve been waiting for. You can expect realistic animal behavior, different weather conditions and ballistics. If you are expecting an extensive tutorial, you won't find it here. What you will find at the beginning of the game is being dropped into the hunting world with a gun and a map. Do expect some limited initial voice overs and tips, but expect to be pretty much left to your own devices.

We've found the tracking mechanics to be both frustrating and exciting at the same time. theHunter creates an immersive experience that feels very real. Also, be forewarned to be on the edge at all times because many of the animals can turn and attack you at a moment’s notice. We must say, it was very exciting once we finally lined up that shot and pulled the trigger. Accuracy matters a whole lot as the ballistics really alter the success of each shot based off distance and trajectory.

The issues that we found with the game are as follows: We found theHunter to be sometimes laggy, due to the sheer size of the map and it being rendered all at once. We noticed that while in the prone position, that the grass does not connect to the ground, which caused clipping and obstructed the path at times. Note that the most noteable glitch during our gameplay was a moose that was stuck in a hillside that just would not die until it was shot five times. This is a big deal when ammo is limited and weapons are difficult to unlock in the beginning. There is also an auto walk feature, which is nice when walking great distances, but problematic when collecting trophies. This is because when doing so the game does not pause and you can walk off a cliff, be attacked by a bear, or both in our case.

For the full review, please visit our website.
  3. Apr 4, 2017
    This is a hunting game, not a shooting gallery. Expect to be stalking or luring your prey for some time before you can get to make a shot. The graphics are AMAZING. Maxed out it's incredible. The sound is very realistic, and they're clearly samples from real animals that were recorded. There are two maps that are both very large: Europe and North America. Wildlife varies from animals likeThis is a hunting game, not a shooting gallery. Expect to be stalking or luring your prey for some time before you can get to make a shot. The graphics are AMAZING. Maxed out it's incredible. The sound is very realistic, and they're clearly samples from real animals that were recorded. There are two maps that are both very large: Europe and North America. Wildlife varies from animals like elk, moose, coyote, bears, deer, boar, etc. It could use a few more weapons. This game would be perfect if it had duck hunting. It's the best nature simulator out there. Expand
  4. Aug 15, 2017
    Many of the other reviewers are complaining about bugs. I haven't found that many bugs as of August 2017. If you asked me to estimate, I'd say I encounter at most a minor bug every two or three hours of gametime or so. One time I had a bug that wouldn't let me confirm a kill, but that's the only one that bothered me so I would't let the bugs worry you as it seems the developers have pushedMany of the other reviewers are complaining about bugs. I haven't found that many bugs as of August 2017. If you asked me to estimate, I'd say I encounter at most a minor bug every two or three hours of gametime or so. One time I had a bug that wouldn't let me confirm a kill, but that's the only one that bothered me so I would't let the bugs worry you as it seems the developers have pushed some fixes.

I'm running it on a 980ti though so maybe some of the glitches are on cheaper graphics cards.

As for the game itself, I am ridiculously addicted to it, much more than I ever expected from this kind of game. There is something about running around the woods by yourself looking for animals to shoot, and actually shooting the animals and occasionally shooting a whole bunch of animals in a row that I find very addictive

The controls are very similar to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in my opinion and it was very easy for me to start racking up kills.

Lastly I want to mention there are two DLC packs you pretty much have to buy , ATVs and tents, that should have been included in the original game. I didn't buy the game at full price because of this and waited until there was a 30% off sale on Steam.
  5. Dec 3, 2017
    I am very much enjoying my time with Call of the wild. It is a slower paced game. Much like hunting. This is aiming more towards being a sim than arcade game. You take your time stalking. You use your tools/calls, you be patient, you place your shots wisely. You can also level up certain abilities which can help a lot. Many different animals to hunt. They all have different AI that isI am very much enjoying my time with Call of the wild. It is a slower paced game. Much like hunting. This is aiming more towards being a sim than arcade game. You take your time stalking. You use your tools/calls, you be patient, you place your shots wisely. You can also level up certain abilities which can help a lot. Many different animals to hunt. They all have different AI that is supposed to make them act accordingly. There is even a little bit of a story to move you along at times, if you care for that. I just like the hunting and so far have ignored story side bits. Also, no crashes on 3 diff computers. My 4790k, 16GB Ram and GTX 1060, My Ryzen 3 1200, 8GB ram and 1050 and even my G3258, 4 GB ram (yeah, its under the min req and plays fine!) and another 1050. All played great without any bugs/crashes. The g3258, 4gb, 1050 runs it on low at 1080 well over 30-40fps. Wouldnt want to go much lower on specs, though. The RX 460 or a 750ti would probably be OK, but less/older than that, an older dual core, or less RAM and youre out of luck. Great game! Expand
  6. Mar 5, 2017
    The most beautiful recreation of the great outdoors to date. This is coming from someone who lives in northern Europe and has worked trails in the United States for half a year.

The gameplay is solid and the setting/graphics and sounds make for an immersive experience. Sure the animals are buggy now and then, and once a bug prevented me from firering my weapon. Other than that The Hunter - Call of the Wild is a great hunting game. Worth the price.
  7. Jul 14, 2017
    One of the best (if not the best) games I ever played! It´s starts a little slow, but once you learn its dynamics it grows (hugely) on you! The hunting experience can be very challenging but super rewarding at the end. Shooting and eventually chasing the animal and tracking its blood trail are one of the coolest things in the game. The Graphics on "ultra setting" is the closest to a realOne of the best (if not the best) games I ever played! It´s starts a little slow, but once you learn its dynamics it grows (hugely) on you! The hunting experience can be very challenging but super rewarding at the end. Shooting and eventually chasing the animal and tracking its blood trail are one of the coolest things in the game. The Graphics on "ultra setting" is the closest to a real life ambient I´ve ever seen, truly immersive experience! Night time, sunny, cloudy, rain, fog, dusk, dawn, thunders, lightning, wind gusts... you name it, the game recreated them perfectly. Sometimes I just grab the ATV and ride around to enjoy the landscape. I cannot stress enough how good this game is! 10! Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2017
    One of the Most amazing hunting experience I had ever had. It teaches you to be patient and test your gaming skills after you played a game of COD. Absolutely amazing world with realistic reserve that mesmerize you
  9. Nov 29, 2018
    This is a perfect hunting game. It's a perfect balance between simulation and gamification. Captures the appeal of hunting very well.

If you aren't very interested in hunting to begin with, no doubt you will find this game boring. If you like hunting or have a strong interest in it, this is a nearly flawless game to scratch that itch.

I return to this game time and again over the years.
  10. Oct 23, 2017
    A seriously enjoyable casual game that is well thought out and has some truly groundbreaking visuals. I thought I'd like it but I didn't realise I'd end up falling in love with the game.
  11. Jun 16, 2018
    Beautiful scenery and a truly amazing hunting experience. Though slow paced, it delivers everything that a hunting simulator needs. If you're into fast paced, ultra action overkill look somewhere else, but if you want what this game promises you won't be disappointed.
  12. Feb 8, 2020
    Before I begin, it is worth noting that of the 3 negative reviews here (at time of writing), 2 of them are not for this game - they are for the older, ftp version of the game. Sadly, Metacritic doesn't have any sensible way to report erroneous and pointless reviews.
    Now, on to the important stuff: is the game any good?
    Honestly, I didn't expect to like theHunter: Call of the Wild -
    Now, on to the important stuff: is the game any good?

Honestly, I didn't expect to like theHunter: Call of the Wild - it's just not my kind of game (or so I thought). I've never had any interest in hunting simulators, and the ones I have tried have all just bored me to tears. In my experience, hunting/fishing 'simulators' are anything but; they usually seem like the developer has made a poor attempt at creating a game, discovered they have little understanding of games and programming, and decided to pass off the failed, boring, unbalanced, and buggy result as a 'simulator' for an inflated price in the hopes that it won't be compared to any actual games. None of the 'simulators' I've played before make any attempt, really, to be anything other than fps arcade games, often using basic store bought assets and stock engines, and, when they fail to be any good, they slap the 'simulator' title on because they think that is a free pass - broken games like Farming Simulator, and parody games like Goat Simulator have left the impression on some devs (and many players) that 'simulator' is a by-word for low-effort, low-quality, and low-fun (but often high price).
    theHunter: Call of the Wild is a different beast, however. Firstly, as others have said, it looks stunning - even on lower settings - and it runs really well on mid-range PCs. It is, in my experience, almost entirely bug free, and what few bugs I have encountered have been incredibly minor - I have never had the game crash in the 100-or-so hours I've played so far. The game is engaging, and fairly addictive. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it is a worthwhile one, which leads to a real feeling of accomplishment when you figure out how to play better - and it doesn't really punish you for taking your time to learn, or making mistakes. The mission system is interesting, and guides you fairly well through the world and the mechanics of the game, though it must be mentioned that the missions in the 'default' map, Layton, are among the worst available, suffering too often from being vague, badly worded, or buggy - getting the other parks is well worth it.
    Which brings me to my next point: DLC. Like so many simulators, theHunter: Call of the Wild is *very* piecemeal, with expensive DLC that adds just one or two items that, in a non-simulator title, would normally be just part of the main game, or just one or two larger (and more reasonably priced) DLCs. That said, you *can* play the game, and get plenty from it, without any of the DLCs, but picking up a few when they are on sale won't hurt your bank balance, but will add to your enjoyment of the game - I'd prioritise new parks and the ATV, and maybe one hunting lodge.

So, if you want a beautiful, chill game to play and relax, which still manages to be exciting, rewarding, and, most importantly, fun, then pick it up. If you are unsure, wait for a sale. I'd recommend (as of writing) the 'theHunter: Call of the Wild™ - 2019 Edition' bundle, as it gives you a great selection of DLC for a good price, and, on sale, will set you back no more than £25, which is well worth it.
  13. Oct 26, 2020
    Update 2: A solution to Silver Ridge is to get the mod which resets the main missions and make sure you get all 3 cameras before moving on. With the TruAxis Update the spawning seems better too. TruAxis update fixes Silver Ridge as well.
    Update: At least 2 main quests in 2 different maps are broken: In Hirschfelden you are supposed to find Red Deer scat but there are no Red Deer in the mission area, you can find them in other parts of the map but not the ME, so the main story cannot be finished. In Silver Ridge you cannot plant the signs at the Uranium Mine, main story cannot be finished. I am on the TruMule update which is the latest. The developer is even selling a 2021 edition that is not updated and is just a cheaper version with less maps etc Greedy lazy developers. Couple stars off for this. No idea if the other maps have issues in the main missions yet.

You have to like slow beautiful games to like this one. It's maps are huge 25 square miles each and there are 7-8 of them. That's 200 sq miles, among the largest games maps. But you need to get some DLC to really enjoy it. Comes with 2 maps base game only. The ATV is a must because the maps are way too big and way too slow character movement on foot. This game needs horses and motorcycles and electric versions for less noise if the devs are reading this. Some of the maps are less than interesting like the Africa one, no zebras or crocs and other iconic animals really? Huge empty spaces ugh. The best maps are the northern forest ones like Hirschfelden, Yukon, Layton, Silver ridge. The Russian map is way too white out and there is no brightness setting in game! The Euro maps, cuatro colinas is pretty nice though, are way too much like an amusement park or botanical garden, not really wild hunting. They need a Scottish Highlands, India/China would be nice. Australia maybe, coastal focused.
    --Another thing is the performance. At first this would crash randomly every time but after the Trumule update and some nvidia control panel tweaking and turning it down to 900p it is stable and beautiful for me. There are bugs but minor ones like stuck popups.
    --Story missions are ok if you want something structured to do. This is an exploration and relaxing game as well. The prices in the cache are way too much for basic stuff like tents and ammo.
    --The menus will take some getting used to because they are not setup well and there is a lot of manual things you have to do like selecting ammo then selecting the gun and reloading it. You have to remember to put all you need in your inventory before leaving the cache.
    --There is no save control, it's all auto so you can't just take up where you left, it will load you to the nearest outpost only. With the size of the map that's really annoying, it literally feels one to one distances so it could take you a lot of time just atv back to where you were. If you have a tent to setup this is negated however but that's not included in the base game.
    --Needs birds and fish. Needs more types of animals as well, too much copy paste with minor differences between maps. Generic Wild Boar all over, deer of all types, foxes. At least it has lions, bears, buffalo, pumas, moose, turkeys etc in certain maps but again it's missing a lot of iconic animals like zebras, crocs, elephants, hippos and others.
    --Since this is supposed to be so authentic, give me the option to buy and use earplugs or ear protection while firing, it's pretty loud when you fire!! Have to take off my headphones when I do fire.
    --Give me an electric atv or bike or horse to minimize the distracting noise from the atv. I want only nature sounds mostly.
    ---There are trainers out there that are for older versions but some of the most important cheats do work, cutting out a lot of grind and pay for play garbage, makes the game much better. There are also some mods that add money and items as well, but a trainer is much easier.
    ---All in all I'm enjoying the game, it's beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. But if you are in a hurry this is not it.
  14. Jan 3, 2021
    If you’ve ever hunted in real life and enjoyed it, then I have no doubt you’ll love this game. If you only have a passing interest, then honestly it’s hard to say, which I believe is where the lacklustre metascore comes from. If you lack patience and want to play Call of Doody: Nature’s Revenge, this is not that. This is about as close to real hunting as you can get while still beingIf you’ve ever hunted in real life and enjoyed it, then I have no doubt you’ll love this game. If you only have a passing interest, then honestly it’s hard to say, which I believe is where the lacklustre metascore comes from. If you lack patience and want to play Call of Doody: Nature’s Revenge, this is not that. This is about as close to real hunting as you can get while still being considered a “game”. In general I’d say you’ll see an animal every 10-15 minutes or so if you move slow and quiet, although there are times you could go upwards of 40 minutes or maybe even an hour. If you sprint around the map in some sort of raging bunny-hate-filled fury, you’ll never see anything. Personally I think the rarity of the animals is where all the fun comes from. It makes the game challenging, and exciting and special when you do happen across that grizzly you’ve been tracking for the past 20 minutes. If there was one around every corner, you’d feel nothing. To sum things up, this game isn’t about shooting, it’s about *hunting*. Also, I can’t help but comment on just how gorgeous COTW is. This is the most beautiful, realistic depiction of nature I’ve ever seen in a video game, and as a result it’s highly immersive. A vegan could play this game, never shoot a thing and still enjoy it just as a hiking simulator. It’s also incredibly relaxing and peaceful, you will go into a meditative state playing this game. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 26, 2017
    theHunter: Call of the Wild clearly provides with a realistic feel of hunting. Seasoned hunters would adore it, but it may push away casual players.
  2. Nov 15, 2017
    A hunting simulator that looks great and is fun? Time for a Jagermeister!
  3. Jun 2, 2017
    In the end, theHunter: Call of the Wild is a more defined niche game in what is already a niche category. There isn't much appeal for hunting games to begin with, and an even smaller group wants a hunting simulator, especially when there is already a free-to-play version. However, this is a game that requires patience for both the hunting process and the bugs that come along with it. If you can live with that, and you're lucky enough to get a friend or two to join in, then you'll find the game to be a good time. Otherwise, try out the free-to-play version to see if this pacing is right for you.