• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Aug 29, 2018
8.2

1. Sep 9, 2018
    not sure what people see in this game. it's a simple "sim" game (it's no way a "tycoon"). it looks, feels and plays almost like a mobile clicker. sure, there's some funny writing, but not much more... i guess it's ok if you want to relax in the evening for an hour or two, but the game feels pointless, no challenge, no sense of achievement, not much planning or thinking required. the waynot sure what people see in this game. it's a simple "sim" game (it's no way a "tycoon"). it looks, feels and plays almost like a mobile clicker. sure, there's some funny writing, but not much more... i guess it's ok if you want to relax in the evening for an hour or two, but the game feels pointless, no challenge, no sense of achievement, not much planning or thinking required. the way freddie mercury walks made me smile. that's about it. Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2018
    I have never played Theme Hospital before, so I missed out on the fun that most people say they had when they played the prequel to this game. I've played all sorts of sim games, so naturally I was interested in Two Point Hospital as well.

The game is pretty interesting and keeps you interested for quite some time, but it heavily lacks variety so you'll only be able to play it in bursts. It's more of a need fulfillment simulator than a tycoon sim. There isn't a lot of variation with what you do besides making sure that both your patients and your staff are happy and healthy.

As you progress further into the game, more elements are introduced to make the game more varied, and the objectives get harder to fulfill in order to beat the map. There is a lot of micromanaging involved so that everyone is equally satisfied.

The reason why I didn't give this game an 8 is because some features in the game are basically ignored like setting the prices to things and customizing rooms, and because some mechanics can be abused to fulfill certain objectives without any sense of aesthetic or logic (i.e. you can spam paintings to meet the attractiveness need).

Also, there is a serious bug where you can't meet the needs of patients even when you've met them. For example, even when you have plenty of vending machines installed to fulfill a person's need for hunger, they might never use them and just starve themselves to dissatisfaction, causing you to lose that patient for no justifiable reason. This was hugely unfair and didn't follow common sense.

In any case, I think a good amount of fun can be had with this game, but I don't think it deserves anything higher than an 8. It is a sim that's nowhere near as complex as a game like The Sims. I think anyone who gives it a 9 or 10 is probably just biased because they loved playing Theme Hospital in the past. Not that nostalgia isn't a good thing I suppose, but reviews should not be influenced by that as well as hype.
  3. Aug 30, 2018
    Simple management simulation themed around a wacky hospital.

+ Trip down memory road to theme hospital, in look, tone and gameplay. + Meta-game and steam profile interface is nice and gives a layer of interest not present in the forebears. + Training focus or cure focus seem like interesting strategies to try. - Has not evolved from theme hospital, retaining both design flaws and
    Simple management simulation themed around a wacky hospital.

+ Trip down memory road to theme hospital, in look, tone and gameplay.
    + Training focus or cure focus seem like interesting strategies to try.

- Has not evolved from theme hospital, retaining both design flaws and repetivity.
    - Room building is very tedious, has not learnt from other sim games (prefabs / templates).
    - Game balance is very poor: money is unimportant, room attraction can be gamed due to linear balance curve, training process can be unintuitive, flow and pacing causes big lulls (but not lulz).

For the first 2/3 hours this felt like a better game, but over time the repetitive core player loop out-weighed the new content and gameplay.

1. Sep 17, 2018
    By rights, a hospital management game should be narcoleptic in nature. Two Point Hospital is a glorified spreadsheet simulator, but it’s a spreadsheet simulator shot through with just the right magic combination of humour and deep management systems that help it shine.
  2. Sep 14, 2018
    Two Point Hospital doesn’t change a whole lot, but I don’t think it necessarily had to; the best kind of spiritual successor is often one that channels the original, yet remains fresh and adds just a dash of innovation. Two Point adds that freshness in graphics and art style, as well as a whole host of new illnesses and challenges, but also channels the wackiness that was so prevalent in Theme Hospital. It makes me excited to see what successful Bullfrog re-imaginings we might see in the future of Two Point Studios.
    Two Point Hospital follows through on its lofty goals of bringing an old favorite into a new era, and in doing so, it has eclipsed many of its genre contemporaries and predecessors alike.