5.9

1. Mar 7, 2019
    An Advance Wars clone that pales in comparison to the original game. The story is extremely bland and stupid, characters are meh and the units are unbalanced. The **** AI (Which is extremely stupid) running away all the time will make you waste hours of your life over the course of the main campaign chasing it to complete the objectives. Don't waste your time on this, there are betterAn Advance Wars clone that pales in comparison to the original game. The story is extremely bland and stupid, characters are meh and the units are unbalanced. The **** AI (Which is extremely stupid) running away all the time will make you waste hours of your life over the course of the main campaign chasing it to complete the objectives. Don't waste your time on this, there are better games out there. It's basically a poor man's Advance Wars. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2019
    I purchased the game via Steam at a bad time. I don't know why, but there seems to be some type of anti-pirating software that shuts the game down during launch if you use controllers. There are documented threads on the support forums of tons of gamers having their games shut down for no reason at all. I will raise my user score when I can actually play the game that I paid for.
  3. Feb 15, 2019
    Most important: UNITS DO NOT GAIN EXPERIENCE!!!
    And they don't level up. Something even Advance Wars had. The two are therefore not really comparable!
    Most important: UNITS DO NOT GAIN EXPERIENCE!!!

The game is relatively shallow. It is more like a puzzle game. There is just not much room for strategy or tactics being the battles and maps are of a rather small scope and you do not have a lot of options with your units. Second the AI is dump as bread. The game still has some appeal but it's for sure no game you want to play for hours on end. It's a game I would advice to pick up when it is on sale for no more than 8€.

Single-Player Score 0/10:
    If I would had to pay only 8€ for it I would give the game a score of 6/10 but because of the asking price of 16€ I can not advise anyone to buy it if you are only interested in the single player portion of the game. Therefore I give it a single player score of 0/10. If there were unit experience implemented I would give this portion of the game a 6/10.

Multiplayer Score 6/10:
    The multiplayer experience is a bit better because you do at least have a human AI to cope with. Nevertheless the missing units gaining experience thing pulls down the fun with this too. If there were unit experience implemented I would give this portion of the game a 8/10.

My overall score therefore is a 3/10.
  4. Mar 18, 2019
    I'm kind of done with Chucklefish. This game is painfully mediocre in every respect. The pixel art is uninspired and dull. The voice acting is beyond obnoxious. The dialogue is worse than most free to play RPG maker games. I mean the story and dialogue is not why I would play a game like this but it is actually so bad that it detracts from the game in a huge way. The AI is braindead.I'm kind of done with Chucklefish. This game is painfully mediocre in every respect. The pixel art is uninspired and dull. The voice acting is beyond obnoxious. The dialogue is worse than most free to play RPG maker games. I mean the story and dialogue is not why I would play a game like this but it is actually so bad that it detracts from the game in a huge way. The AI is braindead. The missions are all largely the same. This game just brings nothing new to the table whatsoever and does not improve upon ANYTHING that the genre is already saturated with. I'm also not sure why everyone is trying to pretend this is the only alternative to an "advance wars" style game out there right now. In the last decade there have been DOZENS of proper games in the genre, maybe try and open your eyes a bit more people.

Overall a disappointing game, moreso than the "release" of starbound. I don't know what they are doing over there at Chucklefish but I'm now going to be avoiding their titles until they prove they are worthy of buying.
  5. Feb 2, 2019
    Finally a game where I can live my nostalgic childhood of games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. On top of the fact that maps can be created and shared across PC, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. This game is also on PS4, but because of Sony's ruling, you cannot cross-play between the other consoles if you own it on that platform.

GAME PLAY The game play is spectacular. It plays like

GAME PLAY

The game play is spectacular. It plays like Advance Wars but with a few differences. For example, instead of your commander issuing commands in the background, they actually fight with you on the battlefield and are pretty OP at that. You have to be careful though, if your commander dies, you lose. The map creator allows you to create skirmishes, campaigns, puzzle maps, and scenarios. Unlike other campaign editors, though, this game allows you to create your own cut scenes.

SOUND

The music is pretty good. I find myself repeating the melodies throughout battle.

VISUALS

The visuals are what you would expect from a Fire Emblem or Advance Wars game but to me, I find it scratching that nostalgic factor.

Although, out of all of the good things this game has, I do however have a complaint here and there. You cannot save multiple games at the same time. You can exit and return to where you left off but that is it. This can be fixed in updates or mods in the future, though. You, also, cannot pick random AI or pick a difficulty for AI either for skirmishes. Again, this can be fixed in future updates or mods.

Despite these couple of cons, I give this game a solid 9/10 or if I could, a 9.5/10. For $20 (with a %15 discount right now if you have Stardew Valley or Starbound on Steam), this game is a must have for anyone.
  6. Feb 8, 2019
    Basically a modern day advance wars. An overall solid game at a relatively low price.
  7. Jul 14, 2019
    Juego muy flojo, las tres facciones tienen las mismas unidades pero cambiando la skin ( lo cual me parece muy cutre y te quita las ganas de probarlas al no haber diferencias reales), los turnos son eternos falta fluidez por un tubo.

Graficos bonicos, lo único. No recomendado.
  8. Mar 27, 2019
    it could really use some chechpoints for the larger battles. its frustrating sometimes. i stoped playing it bacause of that. for arcade playing is better. it does look nice
  9. Mar 14, 2021
    A remake of Advanced Wars, but in fantasy setting.

Good: - it's a sold TBS with good controls - graphics are pixelated and look nice - online multiplayer and map editor So-so: - I personally don't like that essentially for each unit there is a table how much dmg it would to every other unit type. Such a system is just not elegant in my opinion. Though I understand that for most
    A remake of Advanced Wars, but in fantasy setting.

Good:
    - it's a sold TBS with good controls
    - graphics are pixelated and look nice
    - online multiplayer and map editor

So-so:
    - I personally don't like that essentially for each unit there is a table how much dmg it would to every other unit type. Such a system is just not elegant in my opinion. Though I understand that for most players is okay or maybe even great
    - I may be too old for it, but I didn't the cliche story and how it was written. I can't recall the story in Advanced Wars - maybe it was similarly kids-targeted. I think they should have made it more like a parody of RPGs to make it funnier and fit better with the art style

Bad:
    - nothing really. Well, it feels unoriginal but that's the purpose, as it's an intentional remake for the Advanced Wars audience.

A fantasy remake of Advanced Wars with multipalyer and map editor - a gift for Advanced Wars fans and still a TBS worth checking out for other TBS players.
  10. Feb 8, 2020
    Doesn't have much going for it. The dialogue is very often cringey, it's not even campy or fun like the advance wars games, it's just... bad. The sprites are serviceable, but all the character portraits have these red noses, like they're all alcoholics or something. The game IS very well balanced, but at the cost of not being fun. Battles very quickly transform to "slowly creep forward andDoesn't have much going for it. The dialogue is very often cringey, it's not even campy or fun like the advance wars games, it's just... bad. The sprites are serviceable, but all the character portraits have these red noses, like they're all alcoholics or something. The game IS very well balanced, but at the cost of not being fun. Battles very quickly transform to "slowly creep forward and win by attrition", which may have been novel in Advance Wars at the time, but is grating here. There's a lot of modes, but really no incentive or drive to play any of them. It's just not very good. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2020
    Wow, I'm not sure why so many people are bashing this game so hard. People who are Fire Emblem fans should embrace every game of this genre, as well as the differences they have from their pioneers. Keep in mind, Wargroove is an indie! It is not an AAA multi-million dollar budget masterpiece. The story and gameplay is very solid and manages to maintain the heart of the genre.

Wargroove

Wargroove has its own interesting story and a good mix of different characters with their own set of missions. The graphics are perfect and the game is optimized. There is a fairly good amount of missions in the game, which should last you a good week or so of active gameplay. This game is rather well-made, so I recommend anyone who can't get enough of this genre to at least give it a try.

Now then, the primary issue with this game is balancing. The default difficulty is Hard, which means that both sides inflict the same amount of damage. This may sound fair, but halfway through the campaign, enemies start with significantly more troops and funds than you, making it impossibly difficult to beat them. You have to rely on trial and error, which is tedious since you constantly keep losing. I dropped the difficulty to Medium because the game just wasn't progressing, and after I did that, the game felt a lot more balanced.

On the other hand, near the end of the game when navies and dragons become available, they are incredibly overpowered and the AI doesn't know how to properly deal with them and doesn't act logically when it comes to protecting their base, so missions are a lot easier than they should be. Again, balancing.

DOUBLE TROUBLE DLC - 7/10
    A free addition to the game; this DLC adds nine* extra missions for you to play (*excluding the tutorial). To access it, you have to go into Co-op and not the default campaign. You can play it solo just fine.

The main issue with this DLC is, as you can guess, balancing issues again. The tutorial provided is a walk in the park, and then you're simply thrown to the wolves with missions that range from hard to impossible. Definitely not family friendly.

As a solo experience, I would give this DLC a 7/10 for being a decent way to juice a bit more out of the game, although it doesn't really introduce anything new. As a co-op experience, I suggest just not bothering altogether, unless you're willing to drop the difficulty to accommodate your partner's skill level.
  12. Mar 30, 2020
    I loved Fire Emblem and The Banner Saga, amongst other strategy games, and found this unbearably boring. Please don't buy just because you like strategy games in general. This is literally for people that are already Advance Wars fanboys and absolutely no one else.
  13. Jul 19, 2020
    no soy un fan de los juegos de estrategia por turnos pero este me gustó demasiado, tengo que admitir que el juego podría estar mucho mejor si lo hicieran más fluido o si hicieran que hubiera una real diferencia entre cada bando ya que lo único que les diferencia es la skin

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 18, 2020
    For the fans of the admittedly niche genre of turn-based RPGs, Wargroove is quite a find considering its price and the amount of content it offers. If you have ever wanted to bask in nostalgia and step back into the waters of classic turn-based titles, Wargroove can offer you a trip back in time and a couple of dozen happy hours.
  2. Aug 23, 2019
    I’m an antisocial recluse and took no advantage of the features available by connecting to the Internet, but the presence of such things in addition to the core experience means Wargroove has an enormous amount of content. Even without going through all the internet-enabled content, this game has plenty of material to keep anyone interested in a tactical experience invested. It’s not a game in which every element is effective, especially for those who demand a powerful narrative, but Chucklefish has made something worth investigating for those thinking Nintendo has let Advance Wars sit around without a follow-up for too long.
  3. Mar 27, 2019
    Wargroove goes further than Advance Wars, with a map editor and a more permissive campaign. With a strong gameplay, neat animation and beautiful art, it’s difficult to find any true flaw to Wargroove.