2.7

1. Jan 7, 2015
    PLEASE NOTE: most of the reviews for the original iOS version are from many years ago, before microtransactions were implemented.

There is a good game here, which recreates an old board game. Worth an 8 or 9 (a 10 if you could actually see the dice rolls) and the production values are high Though the game gets a 1, why? The microtransactions. This is a "dungeon crawl" game were you

Though the game gets a 1, why? The microtransactions. This is a "dungeon crawl" game were you hunt for gold and loot. Most of the characters are paid DLC. Most of the loot you get is for those DLC characters. They are very expensive to buy INDIVIDUALLY. The gold rewards are dropped at a dismal rate. So there is a "gold store" where you buy gold with real money to speed things up. Yes, almost like a facebook game.

There are also game breaking weapons you can buy, so you never have any challenge with the game.

The whole point of the game is to dungeon crawl, survive the challange and find loot and gold (that is the board game in its entirety) Yet this video game version allows you to buy stuff from the start so you can skip all that, leaving you with a hollow game because there is nothing else to do. As stated, the gold drops for those who dont spend real money to progress has been designed so its a very slow progress. Gold is used for everything, from buying items to levelling your characters.

iOS users also get shafted, as they need to spend about $50 to unlock everything compared to the PC users who get a "deluxe" edition which has everything included for about $30, although still with the gold store microtransactions. There is also a basic version on PC, where you need to buy everything individually like the iOS. $30 itself is on the high-end for such a title ($50 is just ridiculous)

It is a horrible system, one which abuses it's customers and anyone defending it is guilty of ruining gaming.

The developers have also stated some of the sleaziest PR talk you can imagine such as:
    "Some customers prepurchased the game expecting to buy in-game gold"
    and
    "We can't remove the gold store, as it would break the game"

They are not catering to fans of the board game, they are not catering to gamers, they are catering to that "facebook game" personality type. Shame on this developer.
  2. Jan 9, 2015
    Micro-transactions ruin yet another franchise. Absolute trash. This isn't a game...it is a cash shop. Words that come to mind thinking about this game: puss, vomit, feces, and toenail fungus. If you by this game, you hurt gaming in general, and yourself specifically.
  3. Jan 14, 2015
    After Hours of playing this Game you will crash against the Pay wall.
    You have to buy Gold for Real Money to Level up your Toons.
    If you buy the Deluxe Version and sell the Epic Weapons to an Merchant they are gone.
    You cant buy them back,
    Nice Game, **** P2W !
  4. Jan 8, 2015
    I'm also seconding the opinion that sleezy microtransactions have ruined the game. Whether its $15 or free, this is a bad game and continues the precedent of companies selling incomplete games and expecting consumers to pay outrageous sums to purchase content that should have been included in the original purchase.

With any luck niche games will stop this practice in the next few years.
  5. Jan 11, 2015
    I saw the "WTF:Warhammer Quest" from totalbiscuit and thought "meh, intersting look, try it".His remarks are 100% accurate!I wont write a detailed review cause the game is not that great.I think that game is similiar to the tabletop experience but with too many flaws.You cant see the dice rolls, too much is random.Its much like space hulk(which bored the crap out of me).Random encountersI saw the "WTF:Warhammer Quest" from totalbiscuit and thought "meh, intersting look, try it".His remarks are 100% accurate!I wont write a detailed review cause the game is not that great.I think that game is similiar to the tabletop experience but with too many flaws.You cant see the dice rolls, too much is random.Its much like space hulk(which bored the crap out of me).Random encounters for example.WTF have they thought?You walk through a dungeon, suddenly spider appear from nowhere.No go!Besides that, the game is FAAAAAAR TOO EXPENSIVE if you want the full experience.You start with 4 heroes.They are boring.The heroes you can buy cost 2,99 i think(or 1,99?Doesnt matter, too expensive).For 1 hero!!!!The game is by far too simplistic.Maybe it would be fun for 4,99€ if you get the full the game.That would be ok.You could go, take a **** and play 1-2 quests.But with that pricelabel?There are better things out there.Even Space Hulk:Ascension is better.Simliar game and they learned from their experience with privious installments of the Space Hulk franchise.

Bottom line:DONT BUY WARHAMMER QUEST!!
  6. Mar 12, 2015
    Awesome game, I enjoyed it a lot. But in few words, you need to invest hard if you want to get all the fun here. The price for every item is too high for such a simple (yet great) game.
  7. Feb 5, 2015
    When you look at this at first you think that with such a tried and true concept, how could it possibly fail. Warhammer Quest is an astounding triumph of failing against all odds though. It looks decent enough and sounds good and it boggles the mind how it could have been mangled the way it has. For more on the ancient art of turning virtual gold into offal, read on!

Weird design

Weird design decisions abound in this game and are one thing to consider when trying to understand just how bad it is. The camera keeps resetting the zoom to way too close. And it does this every time there is an enemy turn, which is basically every ten seconds the entire game. The zoom is in other words meaningless. And not only that, but it readjusts the zoom for each monster in every fight in completely nonsensical ways until you become dizzy from watching the entire spectacle. How such an amateurish camera control got past Q&A is a mystery.
    True to this unpromising start, the designers also decided to add random fights, in addition to the fixed ones you unlock as you explore dungeons. Regularly these either take place far behind you with ranged monsters, forcing you to backtrack to kill them, or melee mobs just dump right on top of your ranged characters with no warning. In the first case I twice in just the second dungeon in the game had almost reached where I needed to go to proceed into the dungeon, when three archers appeared WAY behind me. We`re talking about six rounds of walking for the melee characters here. So off I go to kill them and thirteen pointless rounds later I am back where I started only to have the SAME DAMN THING HAPPEN ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Add to this that the archers shoot through things and the general mood is set for a good time in the dungeons!
    In the second case it just makes the entire notion of tactics completely pointless, since mobs can drop on you basically anywhere. What`s the use of trying to protect vulnerable ranged characters when this stuff gets added to the game? It is another version of the skydiving mobs in Dragon Age II and just totally unacceptable for a tactical game. It is just unbelievable how such stuff gets past testing. So fifteen minutes of this and similar pointless nonsense pr dungeon is statistically the minimum you must expect, based on my experience. It is as if they were trying to drive players mad with all this stuff, and it is as if no one has ever before made a video game. And bear in mind that I have just started, and already the miserable design is absolutely shocking. I can only imagine what other horrors await for those masochistic enough to play the entire game.

But all this would perhaps be acceptable if it wasn`t for the appalling moneygrubbing by Rodeo Games. You get to start with four generic characters. A hunter, a wizard/healer, a barbarian and a sort of dwarf fighter. There are other classes, but lo and behold you have to pay three Euros to unlock each of them. And there are seven characters, totaling in at 21 Euros! Pay 21 Euros to unlock content for the game you just bought! The nerve of these people is just unbelievable. Needless to say no one should ever buy any of these classes, or any other DLC ripoffs for this game. And there are plenty, including a reprehensible gold shop. And sensible gamers know that where there`s a gold shop there will inevitably be a contrived shortage of in-game currencies, forcing players to waste real money for in-game currencies if they want to progress. If I didn`t know better I`d think Rodeo was a subsidiary of the masters of moneygrubbing over at Blizzard. It`s just that bad. A complete boycott is the only way the people responsible for this will learn. Consumer activism ftw!
  8. Jan 27, 2016
    This game is NOT Warhammer Quest. It does not even respect the Warhammer universe! It feels like a dumdum diable but turn-based. It way too easy to be Warhammer Quest. What the hell is that crap about villages and towns selling magical items? Are we in Forgotten Realms or the Old World of Warhammer where magic is rare and dangerous? Rodeo Games didn't do any kind of research for this gameThis game is NOT Warhammer Quest. It does not even respect the Warhammer universe! It feels like a dumdum diable but turn-based. It way too easy to be Warhammer Quest. What the hell is that crap about villages and towns selling magical items? Are we in Forgotten Realms or the Old World of Warhammer where magic is rare and dangerous? Rodeo Games didn't do any kind of research for this game and it shows. They suck!
    On top of all of that, the video game, even with all its puny dlcs that have barely something in them, does not even come close to 20% of the base game of Warhammer Quest where you have zillions of different monsters, and especially a good challenge as well as infinite replayability... This Rodeo Crap has not much replayability. Once you finish the game, there is really no point in playing.

Oh and get this! Your backpack is rarity based. Really! You cannot carry more than 4 common, common and rare items! LOL What are these idiots at Rodeo Game smoking? Are we playing World of Warcraft or Warhammer Quest? Why did they screw up this really nice game of the 1990s?

Mixed or average reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Mar 17, 2015
    Despite its obvious low budget I’ve already devoted 60 hours to Warhammer Quest – first on iOS, and now on PC. The atmosphere of the Old World recreated by Rodeo Games does not cease to delight me. [03/2014, p.80]
  2. Feb 6, 2015
    It's a lame conversion from the iPad version, so you'd better stick with the mobile one.
  3. Jan 25, 2015
    Wherever you go in Warhammer Quest, you will find nothing but repetitive dungeons and battles. The original board game was fun because you played it with live people, and it simply doesn’t work as a pure single-player experience.