7.7

1. Mar 18, 2018
    To put it simple: very good premise, but poor execution. World of FF had a very good idea of putting together the FF series cast, monsters and lore into one game and making it around capturing and evolving pet beasts. For those who are familiar with the Pokemon and Ni No Kuni series (and enjoy them), this seemed like a potential formula for sucess, but sadly it fell apart in many aspects.To put it simple: very good premise, but poor execution. World of FF had a very good idea of putting together the FF series cast, monsters and lore into one game and making it around capturing and evolving pet beasts. For those who are familiar with the Pokemon and Ni No Kuni series (and enjoy them), this seemed like a potential formula for sucess, but sadly it fell apart in many aspects.

The first major problem you'll notice is that the game itself is very childish. Forget the cinematic CG cutscenes, awesome story or interesting characters. Here we have bad puns, high pitched voices and anime-like cinematics which kinda deviates from what we expect from FF games.

Secondly, the game is bad designed. The battle system isn't appealing at all (the whole "stacking" system is just meh), the story and the stages are VERY linear and there isn't much to do, collect or anything else aside from getting the monsters (or like they call, the "mirages"). Oh, and THERE ARE NO EQUIPMENT IN THIS GAME.

The PC Port worked fine, aside from the very first time I ran the game and the screen was not centered in the monitor. But I didn't notice frame-drops or anything.

Overall, I had the impression the game was rushed or that little effort was put into making it, so what we got was some generic monster-capture game that will make you wish you were playing Ni No Kuni instead. But don't get me wrong, I won't take all its credits away, no. Evolving and capturing the monsters is fun, and its cool seeing some of the old FF pals making an appearance. If you are a TRUE fan of the series, that don't like missing any games, I still recommend it, you will find some fun in it, like I did. But for casual gamers, these problems may overshadow the experience, so I'd say you should skip it.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 20, 2018
    If you can get over the fact that the presentation of the PC version isn't that much better than the PS4 version, you'll find World of Final Fantasy to be a very good RPG for all ages. It maintains a delicate balance between being simple enough to understand while also having the necessary depth for players who want it.
  2. Jan 8, 2018
    Spin-off or not, and not going into long-winded arguments for and against, the game does some things better than some of the latest main series entries. The turn-based combat is not only welcome, but it’s implemented on a level that surpasses the nostalgic legacy of it. Also, the writing is worth of a praise. As one half of the twins myself (with a brother though, not a cute thing like Reynn!), I really appreciate the banter between Reynn and Lann. It’s so fun, acute and savvy! World of Final Fantasy might be a bit of a slow burner, as it takes some time to get familiar with it, but when it opens up, you’ll be lost in the beauty of it, hunting mirages and resolving the mystery of the twins and the world around them.
  3. Dec 11, 2017
    World of Final Fantasy has some great gameplay design that honors the traditional turn-based role-playing game structure. The additional Pokemon elements of capturing and cultivating the mirages creates motivation to keep the ball rolling, even if you’re grinding out the gameplay a bit. The gameplay certainly isn’t perfect, as the younger audience that Tose and Square Enix are trying to reach rears its head in the gameplay structure once in awhile through the game's flow and simplicity, but World of Final Fantasy is diverse and deep enough to keep the excitement going from beginning to end. Just come prepared with a good GPU to push it on the PC.