2.6

1. Apr 21, 2019
    Painful boring and unfunny. Don't bother wasting your money or your time. Story is awful the writing is terrible and the gameplay non existent.
  2. May 29, 2019
    When a game describes itself as "post modern" and has a name that requires a graphic on its store page telling you how to pronounce it, you know you're in for something special. The game is pretentious, poorly written, and has a lot of dialogue but ultimately says nothing. If the developers sought to write a realistically obnoxious hipster for the main protagonist, then theyWhen a game describes itself as "post modern" and has a name that requires a graphic on its store page telling you how to pronounce it, you know you're in for something special. The game is pretentious, poorly written, and has a lot of dialogue but ultimately says nothing. If the developers sought to write a realistically obnoxious hipster for the main protagonist, then they ironically/unironically succeeded. It's like they wanted to make a Persona/Earthbound-esque game without understanding what makes either franchise great, and the combat is a tried-and-failed ripoff of the combat system from Shadow Hearts. The 20 dollar asking price is a near criminal rip off for what you get, and I could only recommend it to anyone who wants to spend roughly 20 hours hating it and hating themselves for wasting the money to purchase it.
    The art style has a kind of charm to it though, I'll give it a point for that.
  3. Jun 15, 2019
    In some regards, I feel bad giving this such a low score. At its most surface level, YIIK is an RPG that overstays its welcome and suffers from poor writing, with a unique but subpar combat system and great music and aesthetics. This is the sorta thing I'd usually just sort of move on from, but the game feels so poorly conceived and constructed that it's worth talking about.

Much has

Much has been made of how the game doesn't respect a player's time, with every combat minigame taking longer than needed and dialogue looping and looping. While this is true, I think it is a factor that could be overlooked if there was something behind these issues to prop up. The Paper Mario series minigames aren't terribly dissimilar, but the mechanics, world, and characters are so much better explained that it doesn't feel like such a chore. Dragon Age Inquisition suffers from lengthy dialogue during cutscenes, but these cutscenes develop new issues rather than just repeating the same information, and are skippable until decisions need to be made. YIIK just feels like a crew of people trying to make something that would work by ignoring mechanics and ignoring writing and ignoring a sensible story and instead trying to assemble a good aesthetic (successfully so) and make something different (unsuccessfully).

The whole "post modern" element is also really lost. Many of the moments of commentary are either so incredibly on the nose that nothing of any interest is being said, while others leave so much to be desired. The NPCs in Wind Town are a great example of both of these. We meet a group of goth kids complaining about capitalism before asking the player if they have any change. This is commentary, sure, but nothing's really gained by it. If instead, they complained about capitalism, and you had a dialogue option to bribe them, the game would incorporate a mechanic that would allow for commentary - at this point, satirize away. We also see a character, "Future Robber", make a statement that his mom's new boyfriend doesn't hit him as hard as his dad did, but he also has less love in the punches. Sure, this is sort of commentary in that a sad thing happened to a kid, but what's being learned? What's being remarked upon? A sad thing is happening, you don't fix it, encounter it again, anything. It's not part of his dialogue in or before battle, just a weird anecdote at the end.

The Future Cop and Future Robber are an example of the other end, where something interesting might have happened, but since this is YIIK, it didn't. I think the pun is intentional, that these kids could both be playing a game of "Cops and Robbers" and also literally become cops and robbers some day, but nothing happens with that. They aren't even close to each other, they aren't showing playing with each other or in relation to each other. If they were brothers, maybe you could make a comment on how the world is simply unfair in opportunities, and one would become a cop while the other would have to resort to crime. If the roles were reversed in their game from reality, maybe you could make a comment on the problematic state of policing in America. Instead of fighting both, you could have the cop temporarily join your roster to fight a future robber, played totally straight for commentary or as absurd as possible for laughs. But instead, you just get two totally disjointed fights with a vague connection at best, and random tidbits that the authors found clever are the closest you get to anything meaningful or interesting.

That's what YIIK is. Vague, disjointed, tryhard, and "random" in its characters, mechanics, plot, etc. Being vague and disjointed doesn't make you clever or postmodern. DeLillo never had sudden "golden alpacas" interrupt the discussions about the fear of death in White Noise, Vonnegut never gave any random tidbits of past domestic abuse for shock value unless it would become a repeated theme, DFW was never outwardly spiteful to the working class unless it was to show that a character was bigoted. Even the authors who this piece DIRECTLY lift from, word for word, like Murakami, have the knowledge to know that their dialogue works as written, but not aloud, something this game repeatedly ignores.

I wanted to like this game. A genuinely clever, intellectual post modern RPG is achievable and could be wonderful. The artistic design and music, lifted into another game, could have complimented a wonderful piece of art. But as is, YIIK let me down at every turn, failing to live up to any of the potential it seemed to have.
  4. Mar 31, 2020
    This is painfully bad. It's got a quirky art style that is completely undercut by an offensively bad story, time wasting game play that drags on, and poorly designed puzzles. The writing is easily the worst thing about this game. It's trying way to hard to be David Foster Wallace, Haruki Murakami, and Chuck Palahnuik but fails incredibly hard. It's needlessly vindictive and serious, butThis is painfully bad. It's got a quirky art style that is completely undercut by an offensively bad story, time wasting game play that drags on, and poorly designed puzzles. The writing is easily the worst thing about this game. It's trying way to hard to be David Foster Wallace, Haruki Murakami, and Chuck Palahnuik but fails incredibly hard. It's needlessly vindictive and serious, but somehow handles the themes of death and suicide really poorly. This is post-modernism done badly. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2020
    This game is one of the best examples on how to not make a video game.Everything from the start to the finish is just garbage.The gameplay is boring, repetitive and unbalanced. The main protagonist is one of the worse characters ever created and the plot of the story is one of the most boring things i have ever heard and read in my entire life.I would suggest staying away from this gameThis game is one of the best examples on how to not make a video game.Everything from the start to the finish is just garbage.The gameplay is boring, repetitive and unbalanced. The main protagonist is one of the worse characters ever created and the plot of the story is one of the most boring things i have ever heard and read in my entire life.I would suggest staying away from this game unless you want to be bored and lectured from a pretentious developer with a huge ego that has no idea on how to make a good game or story for that matter and literally stole lines from Murakami's book to put on his crappy game . AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE Expand
  6. Jan 25, 2021
    This game is not good at all, but I guess I should've expected that. I have completed the game and I'm just gonna say one word. No.
  7. Jan 19, 2019
    What starts off appearing to be a delightful, Earthbound inspired meta RPG quickly devolves into unpolished schlock almost as soon as you are given control over the main protagonist.

The main character's constant inner monologues get tiresome even befor the half hour mark simply because they feel a overwhelming desire to constantly repeat what was either already said or shown just seconds before hand. It isn't endearing in any sort of aspect.

The graphical assets of the game are wonderful, but is almost always constantly marred by ugly artwork in contrast. Good examples are paintings hung on walls that look like they were ripped stright from Google Images, basketballs that are photorealistic that don't even roll when kicked, ect.

Character animation is another one that looks janky and ugly. The models themselves look great, but their movement is stilted and jarring as if they are missing a number of frames from them, but then other animations, such as water moving or trees swaying move just fine on their own.

I think the worst aspect of the game and one that happens to effect the game the most is combat. Every single action, from attacking, to dodging and even running away are made into these stupid little mini games. The first time you fight, it's okay, but now try playing a RPG that has hours worth of content having to play the same mini games over and over and over again. It's simply terrible and out of all of the issues I have with the game, this one is the worst, this is the one that caused me to HATE this game.

There's a lot to like about YIIK, but unfortunately there's so much to dislike about the game it's impossible to actually enjoy, which is a massive shame.
  8. Ndi
    Jan 20, 2019
    Bad controls, zero innovation, bull story, bad voice acting and a combat system from 1947.

It brings nothing to the world and it's SO pleased with itself, harping on about meta this and souls that, but the characters are not defined, have silly cookie cutter motivation, people have breakdowns missing people they met for 10 minutes, etc. Whoever wrote this can't write. Voice acting is

Voice acting is awful, from audio quality to people having breakdowns because the death of a family member but can't even change the tone, like someone is reading a paper on their characters.

It is "inspired" from many games, straight up taking mechanics and ideas and adding nothing, like the babble the story is should carry it.

As for the animation and art, 3-frame animations, only a few poses, making the character grab and pull his hair 230 times in all kinds of situations. Less work than a visual novel shoveled from Steam.

I don't know what was supposed to carry this game, none of the components are good.
  9. Jan 20, 2019
    YIIK? More like YIIKES.

Dissonant art style with what it is aiming for, tries to have a concept but ends up shallow, characters are just cringy and boring, too pretentious, combat is an uninteresting rhythm game, story is random hot ****, etc.
  10. Jan 20, 2019
    If I could give this negative I would, I am not sure who they paid off in the critic world to get the high reviews but dont get this game.
  11. Jan 23, 2019
    This game is awesome! YIIK, in it's current state, is a little buggy at times, and there are a few things that could be fixed. However, this game absolutely does not deserve the sheer amount of hate it's receiving. The main character, Alex, is a self-centered egotist, and you aren't supposed to agree with that. His friends call him out on it, and even he calls himself out on it later inThis game is awesome! YIIK, in it's current state, is a little buggy at times, and there are a few things that could be fixed. However, this game absolutely does not deserve the sheer amount of hate it's receiving. The main character, Alex, is a self-centered egotist, and you aren't supposed to agree with that. His friends call him out on it, and even he calls himself out on it later in the story. YIIK is a story about growing as a person and while not erasing past wrong doings altogether, but ultimately doing your best to make up for them. Do not turn into a sheep and blindly jump onto the bandwagon that this game should be passed on, because you're only doing a disservice to yourself. The soundtrack is really good, and while at some points feels a little out of place, in others it perfectly captures the mood I was looking for in the scene.

There are a couple things that I would've liked to see though. A little bit faster battles, which I believe IS being implemented in an update. A small amount of the set pieces seem out of place, such as some of the pictures you find around the world looking like stock photos. Also more enemy variety would've been nice too, after seeing some of the same enemies throughout the game.

I wholeheartedly do not regret my time spent with YIIK, and I plan to play through it many more times. it doesn't deserve the reputation it's currently going down as having, and I really hope more players come out to show how much they enjoyed it.
  12. Jan 22, 2019
    This game is amazing, not perfect but so far from the bad critics based on political views
  13. Aug 30, 2020
    YIIK: A Postmodern RPG is important to me. It's a game that I learned a lot more from than I was willing to give it credit for at first, and it makes me really, really sad to see the reception that it has. There is a lot to be said about YIIK, so much so that I want to do a long, long video essay about it someday, but I will conclude for now by saying that if you've only heard about thisYIIK: A Postmodern RPG is important to me. It's a game that I learned a lot more from than I was willing to give it credit for at first, and it makes me really, really sad to see the reception that it has. There is a lot to be said about YIIK, so much so that I want to do a long, long video essay about it someday, but I will conclude for now by saying that if you've only heard about this game from the rumors about the dev or the out of context screenshots, please, PLEASE give the game the honest chance it deserves. You might not get another chance to experience something quite like this in your life. Expand
  14. Apr 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. please tread carefully as this is a very big spoiler

15. Apr 11, 2021
    An awful experience that would have been terrible all around if it weren't for the soundtrack which is the only redeeming quality. From the combat, dialogue, to the developer himself it all falls down into the pit of mediocrity that Ackk Studios continuously pulls its games from. With only a handful of games under this young studio's belt, the developers have a chance to learn from theirAn awful experience that would have been terrible all around if it weren't for the soundtrack which is the only redeeming quality. From the combat, dialogue, to the developer himself it all falls down into the pit of mediocrity that Ackk Studios continuously pulls its games from. With only a handful of games under this young studio's belt, the developers have a chance to learn from their past of strictly publishing terribly rated games and produce something that might not insult anyone who bears witness to it. Please, do not waste your money on this awful product to only also show this new studio that it should continue publishing utter nonsense. Unfortunately, their catalog is only awful titles so wait until AFTER their next game is released and support it if it actually turns out to be anything past dreadful. Expand
  16. May 2, 2021
    YIIK makes me legitimately want to kill myself and I need therapy. The art looks **** terrible, the characters are **** **** and the music is terrible. They steal everything like the sprites from Pokémon or the **** flag in the mountain place from Mario. The music has no **** rhythm and they use the same **** **** melody. The bosses are so **** terrible. Most bosses have some **** gimmick,YIIK makes me legitimately want to kill myself and I need therapy. The art looks **** terrible, the characters are **** **** and the music is terrible. They steal everything like the sprites from Pokémon or the **** flag in the mountain place from Mario. The music has no **** rhythm and they use the same **** **** melody. The bosses are so **** terrible. Most bosses have some **** gimmick, like the goth monster being able to kill everyone at once, or the guy with the **** medic robot that heals constantly so you can't damage him. The story is confusing as all **** and nothing that needs explaining is explained. I literally just beat this **** game and I still don't know what the story is. The characters are written horribly so I don't like any of them. As soon as I saw Claudio I immediately said in an unenthusiastic and depressed voice, "Oh no". Alex is the worst of all of them and he's my least favorite character in the game. He's a whiny little **** baby that treats himself as the victim. In one of his lines he literally says that he's every body's punching bag because someone called him out on his **** He's a massive **** to the point that he told someone that he didn't care about his dead sister because he almost died. And the fact that a future update added the scene that shows he's sorry says a lot about the **** writing. If you don't say sorry to Rory then he kills himself, and the story just continues. Like he never existed, nothing changes except the fact that Rory isn't there. The gameplay is incredibly boring and unfair. Attacking is incredibly unfun and dodging is downright **** The enemies in this game do way to much damage. When I blocked an enemy I would still lose half my health because I missed the super small red sliver that lets me dodge. A lot of the enemies are also repeated in areas where it doesn't make sense. Like the samurai turtles showing up in the grass fields. The enemies also repeat the same lines over and over again. I have heard the **** line "Go to shell" and "Right in the man hole" so many times. There's also some **** little element system like in Pokémon that feels extremely shoehorned in. It adds no value except that some attacks do more damage. The random encounters happen way to **** much. Also at the end of the game it is required that you grind for over a month. I have never seen an RPG require grinding like this to a point that it's apart of the story. But by the time I got the that part I wasn't surprised that it was in this game. There's also some **** little robot that requires there own special little healing system. The only problem is that you can only buy those healing items in one part of the game. The puzzles in this game are so **** basic that if you gave it to a fetus they would ask for a harder one. They're not even puzzles, they just hand it to you. The protagonist also talks to a stuffed panda which is stupid as all **** The main "story" of this game is that you try to rescue Sammy Pac from Entities, even though you don't **** know her. The scene where she gets dragged away is based of an actual event where a girl left an elevator and was tragically never found. So putting it in a game like this is incredibly messed up. They also do this later with Satoru Iwata which feels very disrespectful considering how its also next to some **** joke about the developers dying from working on this game. There are also water fountains in the game that restore health and pp. Why they're water fountains I don't know why they're water fountains. The problem with them is that there is such a few amount in the game. There's only like 3 to 5 in the game and they aren't even put in important places. The final boss didn't even have a water fountain. When you fight the **** boss that heals himself you're given a warning which is surprising. What's **** thought is that you need to level up you character before fighting it. The problem with this is that there is a few amount of enemies in the area, so you could get soft locked. There is also way too much **** monologuing. Alex thinks to himself way too much and it's never even interesting or important. It has happened twice in the game where Alex literally gives a summary about everything that has happened in the game. It's also really scary to talk to an npc because they either talk way too much or they attack you with their 200 health. The music in this game is so bad that Toby Fox promoted this game, and then soon after deleted the promotion. The models in this game are also terrible. The girl always looks angry and Michel always looks dead inside. if I had to describe my face playing this game, it would be Michaels. Early in the game the only way to defeat the entities is too use the girl's banish move, which also steals sprites from Zelda. They then get sent to the mind dungeon so you have to fight them again to level up or you lose an upgrade. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Dec 11, 2019
    The problems of this game are rooted deep within and were caused by the developers’ self-admiration, their overambitiousness and poor sense of the whole medium. [03/2019, p.53]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 4, 2019
    A lot of good ideas and interesting concepts are run down by a poor execution that crushes the dooms the game to a grey average, where it will be probably forgotten for eternity. [Issue#293]
  3. Mar 4, 2019
    YIIK is an interesting experiment in western RPG waters. It tries to emulate the world and wonder that the Earthbound game had, but only partly successful. Its combat system can be unfair at first, then repetitive and boring later. Level up system is needlessly convoluted and time consuming. But the world is bizarre and wacky, puzzles are great, and the characters are funny enough to have you invested just enough to see the game through at least once.