7.4

1. Nov 18, 2010
    I have to agree this game is excellent. I dropped Black ops and started playing this and haven't stopped the speed of this game is great zooming down the road at 253 miles an hour in a Bugatti V is simply awesome and mind blowing. Don't pay any attention to the haters and go out and try this one you will not be disappointed. Not to mention that the online has the best of any of theI have to agree this game is excellent. I dropped Black ops and started playing this and haven't stopped the speed of this game is great zooming down the road at 253 miles an hour in a Bugatti V is simply awesome and mind blowing. Don't pay any attention to the haters and go out and try this one you will not be disappointed. Not to mention that the online has the best of any of the racing games i've played the Net code is brilliant no lag racing awesome. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2010
    most boring nfs game i have played. getting a new car doesn't feel like a reward as you get it after every track and the characteristics of each car are bearly there. you cant set it to manuel and drifting is automated almost. the carrier feels so shallow and there is no depth at all to your carrier. only thing left is graphics and the cinametics in crashes are a fun feature. the menu andmost boring nfs game i have played. getting a new car doesn't feel like a reward as you get it after every track and the characteristics of each car are bearly there. you cant set it to manuel and drifting is automated almost. the carrier feels so shallow and there is no depth at all to your carrier. only thing left is graphics and the cinametics in crashes are a fun feature. the menu and videos that you cant skip is **** Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2010
    Multiplayer takes this from a 7 to a 9. If you like arcade racers to begin with, add the multiplayer and the game is definitely worth your time. The car choices are excellent.

My only con, the fact that you have to have the vision camera to add a pic to your racing profile. It would have been nice if it would use Kinect or some upload method.
  4. Nov 18, 2010
    Well first of i dont think it's better then Gran Turismo or Forza 3,but it's the start of something good for the need of speed series the exact comeback in years.. Comparing it to the last installment it thumps it and leaves it as a wreck.. The game is a true improvement and this could just bring back the series but now has gotten competition so they have to pick up their game.. If EAWell first of i dont think it's better then Gran Turismo or Forza 3,but it's the start of something good for the need of speed series the exact comeback in years.. Comparing it to the last installment it thumps it and leaves it as a wreck.. The game is a true improvement and this could just bring back the series but now has gotten competition so they have to pick up their game.. If EA sticked with this who knows where they could of been now!!! Expand
  5. Nov 19, 2010
    WOW! Quite simply the best arcade racer on the PS3. If you want realism then wait for GT5 but if you want a solid racer that puts you up against the people on your friends list then this is it. Solo play is good, taking on missions and swapping between both cop and racing careers, which you can do on a mission by mission basis if you want, but AUTOLOG turns the good into great. Every timeWOW! Quite simply the best arcade racer on the PS3. If you want realism then wait for GT5 but if you want a solid racer that puts you up against the people on your friends list then this is it. Solo play is good, taking on missions and swapping between both cop and racing careers, which you can do on a mission by mission basis if you want, but AUTOLOG turns the good into great. Every time you achieve in a mission is added to the speed-wall, a list of best times which is filtered by your friends that are playing NFS: HP. What can be more fun than firing up the game, seeing your friends best times and trying to beat them? The game even points out when friends have beaten your times and allows you to jump straight into a challenge. Who needs missions when there's the possibility of bragging rights amongst your closest rivals? OK, so that might not seem that attractive if none of your friends have the game but if that's the case then jump into the online and make some...

I've so far only sampled the Hot Pursuit mode online, a mode than starts half of the lobby as racers and the other half as cops and lets you do battle on a random track. Cops have to take down racers and racers have to avoid the cops, oh and race against each other! This leads to quite a tactical race as points (XP which carries into your career) are awarded for team wins as well as individual wins, 1st place for a racer and most busts for a cop. If the other game modes are as good as this one (Race and Interceptor) then it adds up to a solid online package which will keep you occupied for weeks to come while waiting for friends to beat your mission times.

Any negative points? Lack of split screen maybe but with the action as fast as it is and those absolutely gorgeous backdrops then this can be forgiven as you'll definitely want the whole screen to yourself when playing. Free-roam isn't standard while going through the missions but can be dropped into. Good idea as it's probably the only way you'll drive all the cars, the car list is huge, for both cop and racer.

All in all, a worthy addition to the Need for Speed catalogue and a definite improvement on some of the recent games, SHIFT aside, that had lost their way.

6. Jul 11, 2015
    I picked this because I was hungry for a Need for Speed game and I was not disappointed. It looks amazing, soundtrack is not bad. It is definitely not surprise of the year but it is good arcade racing game. However, I was bored at the end, especially with the 70Km race.
  7. Nov 24, 2010
    Its strange that whereas most other gaming genres have evolved and innovated into new and uncharted territories, racing still seems to be stuck in its ways. How refreshing then that the latest NFS breaks the mold with some addictive Game-Modes based around a familiar theme (cops vs racers isn't exactly original); as well as adding the groundbreaking "Autolog" suite of features that reallyIts strange that whereas most other gaming genres have evolved and innovated into new and uncharted territories, racing still seems to be stuck in its ways. How refreshing then that the latest NFS breaks the mold with some addictive Game-Modes based around a familiar theme (cops vs racers isn't exactly original); as well as adding the groundbreaking "Autolog" suite of features that really brings this title to life. Never before have I played the same race or time trial over and over to get top of my personalized Autolog Speedwall, just to do the same thing the following day after being beaten by a friend. Throw in some absolutely superb online multi-player and stunning graphics and you've got yourself a truely awesome game.

The cons? Car Handling does takes some getting used to with a definite Burnout feel to it and an over tendency to need to drift in nearly every corner, and the constant unlocking of cars for just playing an event can get tiresome, but all in all this is an excellent leap forward for the otherwise lacklustre NFS franchise
  8. Nov 29, 2010
    All-in-all, Hot Pursuit feels like a toned down version of Burnout with licensed cars. It's a good game, I was just expecting something else. This game sort of reminds me of playing the first Need for Speed on the 3DO. When I first heard about this game, I was hoping for a Criterion version of NFS: Most Wanted with an open world in a mostly urban environment. What I got is a game thatAll-in-all, Hot Pursuit feels like a toned down version of Burnout with licensed cars. It's a good game, I was just expecting something else. This game sort of reminds me of playing the first Need for Speed on the 3DO. When I first heard about this game, I was hoping for a Criterion version of NFS: Most Wanted with an open world in a mostly urban environment. What I got is a game that is just too scenic and linear for me. While it's true that you can freely roam using Freedrive, that feature is basically pointless and worthless as there is nothing to activate nor achieve... there isn't even a map so you have no idea where you are at! The only real freedom is for the racer on the interceptor missions, but that is computer controlled, you are just following. Being able to play as the racer in those missions would have been nice. The game gets a little repetitive, and some of the time trials and races are pretty hard compared to other racing games. My biggest gripe with this game is no local multiplayer. NFS:HP has one of the best online racing experiences out there; however, I would rather play my friends sitting right next to me. The graphics are gorgeous, the wrecks are awesome, and the speed is there... activating turbo really feels like hyperdrive! If you're into fast paced arcade racing, this is a must have! Expand
  9. Nov 30, 2010
    WOW! How many people here cannot read or speak. Before buying a game you can check on the back of the box or... just ASK if your damn wheel is supported. DUH!!! AND the fact that it dosent support the wheel does not make this game a bad game. Try to use your judgment before putting 0 and 1. This game is very good and is a good addition to the NFS lineup. AND for the people out there whoWOW! How many people here cannot read or speak. Before buying a game you can check on the back of the box or... just ASK if your damn wheel is supported. DUH!!! AND the fact that it dosent support the wheel does not make this game a bad game. Try to use your judgment before putting 0 and 1. This game is very good and is a good addition to the NFS lineup. AND for the people out there who put bad rating because the cars dosent handle like GT5.....eeeeuuuuuu.....it is why we call that an ARCADE racer. this is the way it should be. if your looking for realism buy GT5. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2010
    What a great game,whith gorgeous graphics! I love so much is Autolog and the emotion of race against your friends is awesome! this game is perfect for this winter season, the unique fault is that not compatible whith G25/G27 10.0
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    Horrible controls and a rubber band AI. Two things that are intolerable in a racing game. Sure the graphics are nice, the autolog-functionality is quite nice and the cars look beautiful, but overall it was just a shame, that Criterion is about to loose it's core fans because of such an unbalanced game.
  12. Aug 7, 2015
    Almost every race brings a new unlock, which means an unskippable cutscene that breaks up the pacing. The whole presentation feels slow and it's not easy to restart a race. With this type of perfectionist game, it should have been quick in and quick out, quick restart etc. The pacing is broken and there's no flow. I also often felt frustrated by crashes, rather than feeling "they were fairAlmost every race brings a new unlock, which means an unskippable cutscene that breaks up the pacing. The whole presentation feels slow and it's not easy to restart a race. With this type of perfectionist game, it should have been quick in and quick out, quick restart etc. The pacing is broken and there's no flow. I also often felt frustrated by crashes, rather than feeling "they were fair game and I should have seen them coming". The courses have shortcuts, but most of the game is the art of following a road with some turns now and then. The special items (cops can block the road to slow down racers, and more) feel slightly random in effect. They don't feel like strategic elements.

The online mode is still fairly active this summer, 2015. I enjoyed that more than the so-called 'career' mode which is just a series of races with or without nameless AIs.
  13. Mar 18, 2014
    Visuals are stellar
    Sound is amazing
    The gam had potential, but Criterion hasn't any clue if how to not ruin the fun
    Vehicles control non-existent
    Lack of options
    Camera position is horrible
    Things like passing over spikes without actually doing it
    Passing you in a full speed Veyron with a CCX? This is bad
  14. Dec 2, 2012
    I'm not normally a massive fan of driving games but I thought I would give this one a go as I did enjoy the need for speed games on the ps2.. I brought the game just last week 29/11/12 and have been blown away by how good it is. It may be 2 years old but it's still better than anything else out there on the ps3. Graphics are top notch and the gameplay even better.. If your looking for aI'm not normally a massive fan of driving games but I thought I would give this one a go as I did enjoy the need for speed games on the ps2.. I brought the game just last week 29/11/12 and have been blown away by how good it is. It may be 2 years old but it's still better than anything else out there on the ps3. Graphics are top notch and the gameplay even better.. If your looking for a new game to get into this is it.. You'll love it!!!!! Expand
  15. Jan 8, 2013
    Good graphics, nice car's, beautiful settings though the A.I lacks in the police chasing. Most of the time you "crash" even a little hit can waste precious time and the race's lack in obstacles like Forza Motorsport. Most of the races just have police chase's even though they haven't seen you. There is really no point of playing Hot Pursuit since you cant even figure out what you do whenGood graphics, nice car's, beautiful settings though the A.I lacks in the police chasing. Most of the time you "crash" even a little hit can waste precious time and the race's lack in obstacles like Forza Motorsport. Most of the races just have police chase's even though they haven't seen you. There is really no point of playing Hot Pursuit since you cant even figure out what you do when you complete all the races! Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    so fun amazing graphics great cars great multiplayer and great replay value buy its better than all need for speeds except for undergournd 2 and most wanted ( original 2005)

but im starting to think this may be the funnest racer ever alongside gran turismo 3
  17. Apr 4, 2015
    This is the ultimate racing experience for the PS3. The best product from Criterion this generation. Graphics is mind-blowing, both technically and artistically. Gameplay is hell fun and thrilling, both as cop and as a racer. Not mentioning the autolog and online. This is better than Paradise, Wipeout, and Gran Turismo. This is the apex and best racing game for PS3.
  18. Feb 4, 2014
    This is a well made game, with nice graphics and great gameplay. But there is one big problem that absolutely killed the game for me: stupidly hard events. The Interceptor events are in no way humanly possible and rigged like you wouldn't believe. I ran into 2 of these on my cop career, and now I can't progress on that to save my life. So I go to my racer career. And I play a bit and haveThis is a well made game, with nice graphics and great gameplay. But there is one big problem that absolutely killed the game for me: stupidly hard events. The Interceptor events are in no way humanly possible and rigged like you wouldn't believe. I ran into 2 of these on my cop career, and now I can't progress on that to save my life. So I go to my racer career. And I play a bit and have some fun. And then I run into a Hot Pursuit: where you have to get 3rd or better in a race with the cops on you. Another rigged event. Now i'm stuck on both careers. Hence my score of 5. Go buy Burnout Paradise instead. Expand
  19. Dec 19, 2014
    Not a game for me, the controls made me feel like i was drive more a boat than a highspeed power machine, and this destroyed the whole game for me. The sponge-like controls frustrated me so much that stopped after a few races. If the controls would be better i would definitely play it through, because it looks and sounds fantastic and has really nice cars! And another minus point are theNot a game for me, the controls made me feel like i was drive more a boat than a highspeed power machine, and this destroyed the whole game for me. The sponge-like controls frustrated me so much that stopped after a few races. If the controls would be better i would definitely play it through, because it looks and sounds fantastic and has really nice cars! And another minus point are the micro transactions! I HATE EA FOR THIS!!! Expand
  20. Jul 1, 2016
    The gameplay was pretty good, not totally sure why people are moaning too much about the handling - yes it was a bit sluggish but not unplayable. Where the game really thrived on was the high speed multiplayer races which got very tense and right down to the wire. Quite an exhilarating experience. The soundtrack on this game was also very good and fit the theme of the game like a jigsawThe gameplay was pretty good, not totally sure why people are moaning too much about the handling - yes it was a bit sluggish but not unplayable. Where the game really thrived on was the high speed multiplayer races which got very tense and right down to the wire. Quite an exhilarating experience. The soundtrack on this game was also very good and fit the theme of the game like a jigsaw puzzle. Graphics on this game were also impressive as well as the consistent frame rate that produced little to no lag during races.

Now the negatives - this game was incredibly boring outside of multiplayer. There was very little to do generally speaking, with the non-existent story and lack of customisation. Okay, I concede that this game was never about the customisation, since they purposely stripped it back to be reminiscent of the original NFS Hot Pursuit II. But the problems still continue beyond that.

The actual variation of gameplay was pretty limited; I couldn't really care if Criterion were in charge of this, but how they couldn't include a pursuit mode like NFS Most Wanted - within single-player mode - outside races was beyond me. To make matters worse, with the limited game it already was, they also chose to scrap the offline split-screen multiplayer mode to play with your friends or family at home. A simply stupid decision. Literally, the only mode you could keep coming back to was online races. That's it. Autolog was there to heighten the competition between you and your friends but it still did nothing special. Even bounty collecting felt like a chore and unlocking new cars didn't feel exciting as it did in the past.

This game was quite overrated by the critics as the depth in this game was very thin which quite simply didn't allow the game to open up and be the great game it could have been. The game was simply too arcade-like for its price tag. I get that it was meant to follow that theme but Criterion overdid it. One of the worst NFS games I've played, with only Pro Street just about edging it.
  21. Nov 18, 2010
    Simply awesome! Mass Effect 2 and NFS HP are my favorites game of the year i cant think of a better way to improve the nfs series, certainly this a prove of EA commitment to qualy
  22. Nov 19, 2010
    Being a fan of the older NFS games, this was nostalgia for me. Even with some of the new features, this game has proven to be a great buy for me. Autolog is a wonderful thing as well. It definitely spices things up compared to current leaderboard standings in other games. I don't buy many racing games, and I'm glad I got this one. Not a boring game by any means. Always fun, veryBeing a fan of the older NFS games, this was nostalgia for me. Even with some of the new features, this game has proven to be a great buy for me. Autolog is a wonderful thing as well. It definitely spices things up compared to current leaderboard standings in other games. I don't buy many racing games, and I'm glad I got this one. Not a boring game by any means. Always fun, very addicting, and the online play is great. I have yet to play a game with any lag. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2010
    What a great game, fast paced, action packed and gorgeous graphics! This is a welcome return to the NFS series I love so much. Keep up the good work Criterion!

BTW Autolog is awesome!
  24. Sep 10, 2012
    Great to look at, but it ends there. The handling for every car is HORRIBLE. As others have mentioned, there is no change from a Lambo to a Crown Vic. It is so INFURIATINGLY sluggish to drive every car and that really sucks for a game that requires quick reflexes and precision driving technique. I have never been more irritated by a game. I bought it yesterday and it's going back today. BLEH!
  25. May 16, 2011
    Sure, NFS:HP isn't Gran Turismo, but it's not trying to be. It's a great, diverse (and yes, occasionally boring) with a lengthy vehicle list, all of which are fun to drive. The graphics are phenomenal. The gameplay is easy, intuitive and fun. It's just a great (albeit very unrealistic) driving experience.
  26. May 18, 2012
    I'm a little biased, as I believe racing games are the biggest ripoffs for gaming systems. But decided to take a chance, and boy was it a bad one. I hate how you can disable a car by ramming it; really? All i did was have my finger on r2 and left analog stick, boring. The funny thing is that I could play racing mode online on GTA 4, and have more fun than this game. Had this game for aI'm a little biased, as I believe racing games are the biggest ripoffs for gaming systems. But decided to take a chance, and boy was it a bad one. I hate how you can disable a car by ramming it; really? All i did was have my finger on r2 and left analog stick, boring. The funny thing is that I could play racing mode online on GTA 4, and have more fun than this game. Had this game for a day, just to give it a chance, but had to return it. Expand
  27. Apr 28, 2013
    NFS Hot Pursuit would have been a great game if only visuals count but it's betrayed by it's concept which is boring and repetitive.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: The least important here but the fact of forcing you to shift between racers and cops is annoying. I mean who wants to be on the side of the law here? I don't...
    PRESENTATION: The game's (very) strong point. Like i said if it where
    PRESENTATION: The game's (very) strong point. Like i said if it where just for this the game would be perfect. The cars are gorgeous, the tracks are great and the settings are beautiful.
    GAMEPLAY: NFSHP does almost everything good here but it can be somehow frustrating when dealing with "the long arm of the law". Police cars are well equipped and sometimes it's very difficult to end a mission because of them. It's more getting there in one piece than an actual racing game. Again Frustrating.
    PROGRESSION: Progressing and leveling up exists but you don't feel it. The game rewards you with new cars and components but there's little sense of reward and customization.
    ONLINE: Autolog is a nice feature but it wears out pretty quick. The online races are good and not with much new stuff but still competent and engaging.
    CONCLUSION: NFSHP is a gorgeous game with great visuals and great racing feeling but it's concept is unbalanced, repetitive and boring.
  28. Nov 17, 2010
    Worthy of a strait 10. Its simply great fun and the options of playing as the racer or the cop is superb. Its easy to get into and hard to master. The graphics is wonderful and feeling of speed is just right. I love the intro to every car telling you a little sales talk of it, a nice extra! What am I doing here.... back to the console...
  29. Dec 5, 2010
    No Logitech controller support for racing wheels. If I had known this prior to buying I would not have bothered picking it up. Sad. Somehow EA has racing wheel support for Shift and Burnout had it but this doesn't?
  30. Feb 24, 2011
    The fact that you have to eleminate your target by depleting his health-bar and not by shoving him into an uncontrolled skid and thus making him crash is the big spoiler of fun for me. Makes it more arcade than it should be. I mean, it's still NFS, the arcade racing game, but a health-bar? Driving physics aren't satisfying either. Expected a whole lot more from this. Might pick it up whenThe fact that you have to eleminate your target by depleting his health-bar and not by shoving him into an uncontrolled skid and thus making him crash is the big spoiler of fun for me. Makes it more arcade than it should be. I mean, it's still NFS, the arcade racing game, but a health-bar? Driving physics aren't satisfying either. Expected a whole lot more from this. Might pick it up when price has dropped to 15 Euros approx. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 59 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 23, 2011
    Hot Pursuit is not the most feature-rich, realistic, or deep racing title available, but it certainly is one of the most exciting and enjoyable ones.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jan 25, 2011
    We suspect that last year's excellent Shift didn't make as much of an impact as EA anticipated. That semi-serious sim has given way to a positively Burnout inspired iteration that liberally takes the better bits of old NFS titles and makes this gorgeous fast paced treat. [January 2011 p70]
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit reminds me of the first part of the assassin's creed-series. In general, the game is great, but it's missing variety and long-time motivation. Especially the number of time trials shouldn't have been this high. Races and pursuits are much more fun. The small amount of about 100 cars doesn't really matter, because all of them were done well, although some them have only 300 PS. Altogether, it's a great action-racing-game, but there is maybe more potential for Hot Pursuit 2.