5.0

1. Mar 24, 2021
    This game sucks. You don't even get to play as the X-Men. You "create" your own character and forge your own destiny, but even that is half assed. You pick from 1 of 3 pre-made characters to play as. So you don't even really get to create your own character. Throughout the game you make choices that will help determine whether you join the X-Men or Magneto and the Brotherhood. The problemThis game sucks. You don't even get to play as the X-Men. You "create" your own character and forge your own destiny, but even that is half assed. You pick from 1 of 3 pre-made characters to play as. So you don't even really get to create your own character. Throughout the game you make choices that will help determine whether you join the X-Men or Magneto and the Brotherhood. The problem is that it doesn't matter at all. It doesn't change the game or the story. You still fight the same bosses at the same time regardless of which faction you pick. The story is completely boring and utterly toothless. There's one mini boss fight that switches from nightcrawler to toad depending on which side you pick, but it's simply just a re-skin. The environment is the same and the method for beating the mini boss is the same. It just reeks of laziness and lack of creativity. This game is also completely derivative of other properties. It's almost like it wanted to copy X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance without including any of the elements that made those games shine. A fully fledged RPG in the Marvel world would have been a blast. X-Men Legends 3 would have been a welcomed entry. Sadly this game is neither. There's also a moment where Magneto moves the golden gate bridge because ya know he did that in his last movie appearance prior to this game so that means he always has to do that from now on. There's a boss that's the exactly same thing as Titan Joker in appearance. This game is creatively bankrupt.

Besides it's awful scope and lack of creativity this game is terribly designed. The levels go on for far too long in the same bland and uninteresting environments. You button mash through the same 3 or 4 enemy types the entire game. The auto saves are not always placed in the most generous of locations. The text selection box sucks and you can't skip the boring dialog or the cut scenes. The combat isn't varied enough even though it works well and is fun enough to beat em up for a few hours. The powers are fun but again not enough variation. At least it's an easy enough platinum, it's not broken, buggy, or glitched, and it looks pretty good for 2011. It got the usual Suspects for voice acting so it sounds great. There's some neat ideas that just weren't fully fleshed out. at least the combat does work pretty well and the controls are adequately responsive. This game isn't bad enough for a completely negative review but it's not good enough for a solidly mediocre one either. It was just a huge missed opportunity and I'd love to know what happened with this game.

I had to edit my review. I'm currently playing Ghostbusters on ps3 which came out a few years before this game and it helped put graphics back into perspective for me. Ghostbusters looks so much better and blows this game's graphics out of the water. X-Men Destiny looks like absolute trash in comparison.
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    I loved the previous X-Men Action RPGs and had fun with both Ultimate Alliance games, but this game ended up feeling flat. The entire experience is mostly repetitive and the controls can be a bit wonky. The strength of the game lies in being around the X-Men and Brotherhood characters themselves. Interacting with any of the mutants brings back fond memories, whether it be old video games,I loved the previous X-Men Action RPGs and had fun with both Ultimate Alliance games, but this game ended up feeling flat. The entire experience is mostly repetitive and the controls can be a bit wonky. The strength of the game lies in being around the X-Men and Brotherhood characters themselves. Interacting with any of the mutants brings back fond memories, whether it be old video games, a classic cartoon show, or newer films. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2011
    This would be an awesome game... if it were for the PS2.

This would be an awesome game... if it were for the PS2.

Overall I did sort of like this game. It just felt like someone took an awesome game and made it as mediocre as possible. I like playing your own hero instead of having to play the stars. I like choosing my abilities. The gameplay was just very very meh. Here's what I think could've made this game a lot better. First off allow you to choose your own superhero name. Next allow you to design your own costume (like in City of Heroes). One of the things this game has is M-genes. These sort of give you parts of other heroes powers. It's sort of cool, but it makes me feel less like my own hero. I wish instead these would allow me to alter my own powers in different ways. It feels pretty weird to have shadow based powers and be covered in ice.

Overall this game feels like it was half finished and instead of doing all the work to finish it they just made what they had playable and shipped it out.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Dec 29, 2011
    After surprisingly decent superhero games like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, it's a major disappointment that Silicon Knights can't do better than this rubbish. We're amazed that Marvel and Activision let this one through. [Nov 2011, p.37]
  2. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Nov 26, 2011
    Silicon Knights just forgot to give us anything fun to do with our powers, making it hard to recommend Destiny to even diehard fans. [Holiday 2011, p.84]
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The new adventure of the X-Men is poor and simple. Although the story looked interesting, the result is an average action game, without anything remarkable, that only hardcore X-Men fans will enjoy.