8.5

1. Jun 18, 2019
    A masterpiece made by a genius who practically reenlightened the style since the Castlevania SOTN, congratulations Iga-san !!! Big game!!!
  2. Jun 19, 2019
    Legally distinct Castlevania. Game scratches the itch for an old school Metroidvania like few other games have done for me in a while. If you like the Iga Castlevania games, you're almost guaranteed to love this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019
    It's very good. Igavania is back baby. Can't wait for all the ("free") DLC for this game to come out.
  4. Jun 18, 2019
    Symphony of the Night on steroids! Fantastic presentation, smooth controls. Great old school feel with modern sensibilities. Must have for fans of the genre!
  5. Jun 18, 2019
    Um dos melhores Metroidvania e um dos melhores Castlevanias que joguei de longe. O Design é estiloso, a OST é MARAVILHOSA, a gameplay é muito gostosa e fluída, e a história é bacana de se acompanhar. Se você é um fã de Castlevania, não vai se arrepender.
  6. Jun 18, 2019
    As a Kickstarter backer, I'm happy to say Iga knocked it out of the park with this one! I've played about 5 hours so far and it's pretty frickin great. It definitely brings back that same feeling I had when playing the old metroidvanias, SotN included. In just the 5 hrs I've played I've already seen so much content that's rewarding outside of the normal gameplay. Quests, crafting,As a Kickstarter backer, I'm happy to say Iga knocked it out of the park with this one! I've played about 5 hours so far and it's pretty frickin great. It definitely brings back that same feeling I had when playing the old metroidvanias, SotN included. In just the 5 hrs I've played I've already seen so much content that's rewarding outside of the normal gameplay. Quests, crafting, shards... and what really makes me happy is the difficulty on normal is just right. Not too hard, but not that easy. The second boss was somewhat challenging even on normal, so I'm excited to beat the game and then play through on hard. The music is great as they used the same composer from SotN (one of the best game soundtracks ever made btw). There are small homages to that soundtrack sprinkled in Bloodstain's soundtrack (but not overdone). The story and voice acting are great too, with some humor thrown in, which I like. Obviously I'm still early in the game, but considering how happy I am with only having explored 15% of the castle, I'm gonna go ahead and give it a 10 :-) Expand
  7. Jun 18, 2019
    It's like putting the best of the past 2D Castlevanias in a cocktail mixer and shake it with a lot of energy. At the very beginning, you can be a bit stressed because nobody is talking about Dracula, but after a few minutes, you are totally in love with Miriam and forget about that bloodsuckers.
    Seeing a red moon on the background can only be accompanied by an awesome OST and the game perfectly meets expectations, making you in more needing of killing demons without caring if the shards will transform you in one.
    I'm not giving a full 10, because of glitches, there are a lot of technical glitches, maybe those are acceptable considering the fact that is not a game backgrounded by a big company, but maybe not for a game that was in development by almost 5 years.
  8. Jun 18, 2019
    Just what I was hoping for, SOTN type game updated for current Generation. Great game.
  9. Jun 18, 2019
    This game is an absolute masterpiece. It feels like I’m playing Symphony all over again all these years later, although it’s all new and fun. Iga has gone all out here. My wife backed the Kickstarter for $100 as a gift to me and it’s the best gift I’ve ever gotten. Play this game.
  10. Jun 18, 2019
    i like it .................................................................................................................................................................................
  11. Jun 18, 2019
    If you love Castlevania and if your here then its obvious ..... this game is amazing. Play it for yourself and you won't be disappointed because it's better than i thought it would be. Minor bugs that will be ironed out im sure. But all in all a must have. Gave ten because of ignorant reviews I've seen but a definite 9.
  12. Jun 18, 2019
    Beautiful art style. Enemy design is very reminiscent of castlevania games and overall is a well crafted and deep gaming experience. If you love metroidvanias or castlevania, then this is a game you'll enjoy. Growing up playing Castlevania titles has really made me want another as of late and this game is a package deal for anyone wanting a modern take on the igavania/Castlevania formulaBeautiful art style. Enemy design is very reminiscent of castlevania games and overall is a well crafted and deep gaming experience. If you love metroidvanias or castlevania, then this is a game you'll enjoy. Growing up playing Castlevania titles has really made me want another as of late and this game is a package deal for anyone wanting a modern take on the igavania/Castlevania formula most are familiar with. Expand
  13. Jun 18, 2019
    Best metroidvania ever! It was worth 4 years waiting! It gathered all best techniques from such metroidvanias like Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia and Symphony of the Night.
  14. Jun 18, 2019
    It's on par with Symphony of the Night. The music is good and the combat is fun. Pleasantly surprised.
  15. Jun 19, 2019
    I'm a negative guy so I'll start with the cons first. Background is still bland at some spots. Some bosses can use visual cues. I can't tell if a moving appendage is part of scenery or an attack. There are also some translation errors. In short the polishing needs more polishing.
    Now the pros. The core is solid. The RPG elements are meticulously done and offer a wide range of play style, all exciting. Want to slash, grab a sword. Want to shoot grab a gun. Each weapon has its own traits and special attack. Character models are well drawn and animated. Watching a monster disintegrate always gives me a satisfaction of a job well done. The control is responsive and there's no problem executing what you want when you want it.
    Also if you're wondering whether to pick this or Hollow Knight, pick this. HK is a frustrating game with Dark Souls like element that punishes you with each death. Here everything is simpler. If you die, you reload. You don't need to do a thing to recover your stuff. You also have wide array of weapons, potions, spells, familiars, wheres in HK you fight with a single weapon. In short in HK you keep playing to not lose your progress, here you play to have fun.
  16. Jun 18, 2019
    The best work seen on Kickstarter, really!!!

The game is awesome, i am a big fan of Igavania games, this is not the exception
  17. Jun 18, 2019
    So far I am absolutely in love with this game. It's the spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night that should've been made years ago. Everything about the Igavania era Castlevania is here in spades with its own personality and very welcome additions of its own to boot. There's so much to go at and a lot of replay value thanks to the variation in builds and mechanics and differentSo far I am absolutely in love with this game. It's the spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night that should've been made years ago. Everything about the Igavania era Castlevania is here in spades with its own personality and very welcome additions of its own to boot. There's so much to go at and a lot of replay value thanks to the variation in builds and mechanics and different playable characters.

The only minor gripes I have are that some environments would have benefited from a bigger budget but as a whole it's a stunning and atmospheric game and makes the leap to 2.5D whilst retaining the art design and sinister creature design that made the old games so memorable.

There are some performance issues on PS4 at the moment like the occasional hitch and stutters in the frame rate but hopefully that'll get patched and isn't TOO distracting.

Overall this is a masterwork and I can't wait to see where the franchise goes next.
  18. Jun 18, 2019
    An avid fan of SotN, RotN is exactly what I’d hoped for: Awesome design, thousands of weapons, armor, items, etc and the notorious backtracking. It draws me in just like Symphony did. Thanks IGA!
  19. Jun 19, 2019
    9.6/10. Excellent game. Minor bugs, but overall a must buy for anyone liking this genre.
  20. Jun 19, 2019
    Among the constant kickstarter clusterf*cks that have been releasing in the past years, comes a game so good I'd even pay full price for it. Graphically great, fluid gameplay, AMAZING soundtrack (and by that i mean actual melodic music, not the orchestral ear r*** Westerners like to call "music") and great content (weapon variety, crafting, customization, also free DLC playable charactersAmong the constant kickstarter clusterf*cks that have been releasing in the past years, comes a game so good I'd even pay full price for it. Graphically great, fluid gameplay, AMAZING soundtrack (and by that i mean actual melodic music, not the orchestral ear r*** Westerners like to call "music") and great content (weapon variety, crafting, customization, also free DLC playable characters are on the way). All this for a 40$ indie game. Do yourself a favor and support the creators for doing such a great job and also listening to the feedback people gave them back almost a year ago.

P.S. F*cKonami
  21. Jun 19, 2019
    SotN is my favorite game of all time, and I really don't like having to say this (since I've been carrying the SotN banner for so long); but Bloodstained is the best Metroidvania game ever made. It's basically SotN with a lot more to do, and the systems more fleshed out.

Also the voice acting is fantastic (especially the main villain).
  22. Jun 19, 2019
    A Masterpiece! Lives up to the hype and then some! Surpasses symphony of the night to my own surprise. I couldn't have asked for anything better than this. Anyone who doesn't like this game should have their gamer card revoked.
  23. Jun 19, 2019
    El diseño artístico no es muy bueno que digamos, pero a nivel jugable recuerda mucho a Aria of sorrow y Dawn of sorrow por el sistema de habilidades enemigas que es muy entretenido. La música es excelente. Si no supiera que su título es Bloodstained pasaría fácilmente como un Castlevania de Nintendo DS. Es un videojuego altamente recomendable para los fans de la saga y quién guste de unEl diseño artístico no es muy bueno que digamos, pero a nivel jugable recuerda mucho a Aria of sorrow y Dawn of sorrow por el sistema de habilidades enemigas que es muy entretenido. La música es excelente. Si no supiera que su título es Bloodstained pasaría fácilmente como un Castlevania de Nintendo DS. Es un videojuego altamente recomendable para los fans de la saga y quién guste de un buen juego tipo metroidvania. Expand
  24. Jun 20, 2019
    This is everything I wanted for an a legit successor to the metroidvania style genre. Gameplay is spot on, artistically beautiful visuals, a pretty good story so far (got about 5 hours into it) , and phenomenal music. Aside from a few visual bugs and one game breaking bug that will be not be an issue with future plays after the update that I will not hang them over (opened treasureThis is everything I wanted for an a legit successor to the metroidvania style genre. Gameplay is spot on, artistically beautiful visuals, a pretty good story so far (got about 5 hours into it) , and phenomenal music. Aside from a few visual bugs and one game breaking bug that will be not be an issue with future plays after the update that I will not hang them over (opened treasure chests) I have not seen anything that sours me on the experience in the slightest. On top of that with new content coming out periodically for free, the replay value will be extremely high. We may not get a castlevania game like this ever again... But with bloodstained ritual of the night... We no longer need it. Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2019
    Thanks Mr. Igarashi.
    Took over 10 years to get that feeling again (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia).
    Mr. Igarashi has done what Mr. Inafune was not able to fulfill with Mighty No.9 ;)
  26. Jun 21, 2019
    Other a long loading screen and some loading when transitioning areas there is little to complain about if you are a SOTN fan. The first game to dethrone the best Metrovania game ever made. Love the gameplay, graphics, and especially the soundtrack.
  27. Jun 25, 2019
    The game is sensational. The graphics are beautiful and neat. epic soundtrack and metroidvania-style gameplay. My only note is not higher because I still want an update to improve the performance of the game. At times when fps crashes and has very constant loadings.
  28. Jul 3, 2019
    Excellent game, with a few nit-picks: The environments look great, but because the characters were forced to be these weird 3D cartoon models, they look like they belong in a different game. They just don't mesh well with the environments. I wish they had done really nicely animated 2D sprites instead (something like Dragon's Crown.) The music is above average, but not anywhere near theExcellent game, with a few nit-picks: The environments look great, but because the characters were forced to be these weird 3D cartoon models, they look like they belong in a different game. They just don't mesh well with the environments. I wish they had done really nicely animated 2D sprites instead (something like Dragon's Crown.) The music is above average, but not anywhere near the brilliance of the soundtrack of SOTN or Super Castlevania 4. Combat is great, level design is decent, and there are enough RPG mechanics for it to be satisfying as you level up your character and get more powerful familiars, shards, weapons, and armor.

I did lose 5 hours of progress because the 1.02 patch screwed up the treasure chests from all version 1.01 save files, so that wasn't great. It's a good thing that it's so much fun to play, as I went through all that again to get back where I was.

This is my 3rd favorite Metroidvania behind SOTN and Aria of Sorrow. Well done, and worth the price.
  29. Jun 19, 2019
    First time playing castlevania style game i love it. The feel and the item collecting is soo addiciting and i love the main character designs, plus the uber cool moves u can collect.
  30. Jun 19, 2019
    This game is everything I've wished for. Challenging, rewarding, fun. If you liked SOTN, or either of the games on the 3ds you are going to love this game. I hope this is just the first of many great games in this series.
  31. Jun 19, 2019
    Sabiamos o que Iga iria fazer com esse jogo... Sabiamos... e sim é uma grande obra. Troxe de volta a magia do que era jogar o SOTN assim como os jogos seguintes produzidos por ele (Os elementos destes também estão ai.
    Não nivelemos este jogo com outros metroidvanias que existem pois...os detalhes deste jogo (Quantidade de itens, armas, equipamentos, habilidades vindas dos mobs) são grandiosos...

valeu a pena esperar sim, um dos melhores jogos do gênero.
    A tempos não tinha esta sensação de jogar um jogo que me fizesse não querer parar de jogar e explorar.
    Existem sim detalhes negativos (Não cito a qualidade grafica/animações pois isto não necessariamente é um defeito diante do geral).

Trilha sonora impecável.

Talvez unica continuação espiritual que cumpriu o prometido.
  32. Jun 19, 2019
    This game is fantastic! I have savored my adventure thus far and am really having to fight hard not to let my excitement spoil anything for potential players.

Being an old skooler to video games in general (my first system was the Atari 2600), I am relieved to see Igarashi deliver such an amazing, polished product from the long road it has come from. I greatly enjoyed inti creates 8-bit (although semi non-canon), Curse of the Moon refresher that was released, as some might have forgotten or were new to the ‘IGAvania series’. I feel this was well played in generating interest to a potentially lost series within the new generation of gamers.

Ritual of the Night, builds upon the depth of Symphony and its later, although mostly handheld, iterations. bringing an increased RPG layer on top of what we remembered. The ‘2.5’ style of graphics are top notch for this type of gamestyle platform and make creative use out of the multiple layers of depth within each stage. I will go as far as to say that the assets and effects top a similar effort from the big N, as seen in the last several Smash Bros games. The incorporation of fighting game style inputs isnt new but now more than ever, the collision and precise timing of special moves, are products of next gen hardware and software as more frames of animation are allowed for a seamless experience within a platform game. I think Koji not only wanted to bring Nostalgia but also deliver it in a way that is current. He (and not to forget WayForward by any means) put much detail in not just the minute intricacies of the mechanics and lore, but also the voice acting and character interaction as portrayed from an audio perspective.

I could go on, but simply put — Ritual of the Night is a MASTERPIECE of its kind in the new era of gaming.

- 5/5
  33. Jun 19, 2019
    Symphony of the night updated, and with cooler bosses. I bought the Xbox version so I didn't have to hear the ps4 fan. No bugs so far. I can't put the game down. U can play as u feel. The combat is even slicker than in the past. I am so happy to support this game. Buy it on disc so u can have it forever and send them a message u want all sequels on disc too. 10/10 masterpiece
  34. Jun 20, 2019
    Created an account just to say this is a great game.Its every bit as good as SotN if not better.Its got a good variety of equipment and alot of customization with looks and gameplay.I also have to say the pre-order theme is one of the best I've seen.I'd probably pay 60 dollars for it if I had to.
  35. Jul 2, 2019
    El regreso del IGA-vania por la puerta grande. No llega al nivel de SOTN pero se queda muy cerca. Divertido y completo. De lo mejor dentro del género. Muy recomendado.
  36. Jun 18, 2019
    Yeah, another Kickerstart backer here, and for good reason. The game delivered on so many levels.

Snappy input/ output, gorgeous settings, beautiful atmospheric music, player customization is spot on and not just from a visual perspective either. With a host of techniques to learn (think Street Fighter, Tekken combo inputs) but are not forced/ mandatory for success, to spells/ abilities (shard magic) that can be active, passive, and even passives-made-permanent (without having to equip them!), once max level’d up. Weapons, onto the host of weapons and armor that can change your stats and appearance (some can be toggled on/ off, accessories, etc.).

Want a tank that hits hard or a glass cannon spell caster using a flaming two-handed axe? Whatever your style, chances are you’ll have it soon or not and maybe you have to find/ farm some enemies. That’s the fun though. It helps promote exploring, and explore you want to, for bonus loot and stat enhancements that are permanent.

In he meantime, there is crafting to help fill the blanks for weapons and armor, and, yes, food! Recipes to find, farmers to give seeds to, which can then grow food for you. Quests. Yes, there are eve quests.

All of that reads like an RPG, and rightly so. The director was responsible for changing the way 2D side-scrollers’ mechanics work.

In short, a lot to do and see and while there is a lot of freedom to theory craft builds that suit your play-style, as well as help overcome situations, it doesn’t fall short of delivering that classic atmosphere of an A+ Igavania gem. That’s what it is, a gem.
  37. Jun 18, 2019
    Dont listen to AceAscendus, hes an idiot giving 0 / 10. He's a moron.

If you like Metroidvania style, get this game/

Why 10/10? This game plays like Aria of Sorrow, need to say more?
  38. Jul 1, 2019
    If you're looking for a new Igavania game like Symphony of the Night, Order of Ecclesia or Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, then this is a must have! It's very addictive, and it's easily one of the very best Metroidvania i've played since 15 years.

The game is not flawless, i have encounter few glitches, but nothing one or two updates can't resolve. Pros : + It's like a sequel of the fabulous

Pros :
    + It's like a sequel of the fabulous Castlevania SOTN!
    + OST is a blast
    + Alucard's back-step AND Richter's slide!
    + Lots of gears, magic and weapons to craft or loot (hello powerful rare drops)
    + You can customize Miriam's look quite early in the game
    + Gameplay is satisfying and becomes deeper after few hours by adding new mechanics
    + Plenty of things to do (side quests, collecting shards, many secrets to find...)
    + Good replay value with 3 difficulty settings, boss rush, speedrun and more to come
    + Interesting story introducing many characters
    + Technical part is strong with smooth 60-fps on PS4 PRO (except for very few areas)
    + A bunch of free DLC to come

Cons :
    - Still few glitches
    - Crouching do not lower the camera so you can see what's below you
    - Some animations are a little clumsy
  39. Jun 18, 2019
    A true spiritual successor to symphony of the night. The metrovania genre is in good hands with this exceptional release. Sharp controls and a gorgeous soundtrack elevate this game into a podium that few ever reach. A must buy.
  40. Jun 18, 2019
    I may have to bump this up to a 10 after the patch comes out but I'm very pleased with this game. I backed the kickstarter and have been following the release notes for years...Iga and his team have poured their hearts into this and after 3 hours of gameplay...it shows. Tons of secrets and SotN homages. My only complaint is that it seems a bit glitchy but I feel like the patch will fixI may have to bump this up to a 10 after the patch comes out but I'm very pleased with this game. I backed the kickstarter and have been following the release notes for years...Iga and his team have poured their hearts into this and after 3 hours of gameplay...it shows. Tons of secrets and SotN homages. My only complaint is that it seems a bit glitchy but I feel like the patch will fix the text and cutscene jumps. If Iga delivers on the largest (inverted) castle he's ever made, we're in for a wild ride. Final gripe...Gebel is a stupid name but Zangetsu totally makes up for it!! Great music, smooth gameplay, macabre Metroidvania setting...all for $35....go buying this! game!! Expand
  41. Jun 18, 2019
    It’s exactly what you want it to be. A great Castlevania game in the same vein as SOTN and the Gameboy renditions of SOTN style gameplay.
  42. Jun 19, 2019
    A spectacular game. There's so much love poured into this title that any fan of Symphony of the Night will feel like they're wandering the halls of their childhood home.

With that being said, it's not strictly a SOTN clone either. The crafting and cooking systems are a fantastic addition that are a great example in how to encourage people to engage in these systems without making them needlessly complex.

The visuals are fantastic, with the cel-shaded graphics really causing the colors to pop off the screen.

The music is from the same composer who did SOTN, so you get a new iteration of the sweeping instrumentals that transport you to castle halls and underground waterways.

Controls and combat are razor sharp, with various weapons having unique abilities that are triggered with fighting game-style inputs like quarter-circle forward + attack. Layered onto this is the shard system, which allows you to have passive magical boosts, an additional magic attack, and even summon familiars to your side. The loadout options are insane, and in time you'll unlock "shortcuts" to quickly switch between them.

There are easter eggs and tributes to the fans throughout the game. Minor details in equipment and bestiary notes bring a smile to your face.

So many games get caught up in wanting to be "intense", wanting to channel the difficulty of "The Game Which Shall Not Be Named". Bloodstained isn't particularly interested in that. Are there some challenging fights? Sure. Will you break a controller in the process of exploring this vast castle? Likely not.

Now, there are still some hiccups and bugs here and there, but nothing game-breaking. Still, the blemishes are enough to mar a perfect score.

At the end of the day - this game is fun. It's damn fun, and one of the best titles I've played in the last few years. Buy it.
  43. Jun 19, 2019
    Magnificent return to Metroidvania type games, amazing music, tight gameplay, loads of content. Koji Igarashi has delivered and amazing game, filled with care and details for the fans to enjoy.
  44. Jun 19, 2019
    I will admit when I first seen the first pics and videos of the game I was on the fence about backing it on Kickstarter. I love Castlevania and it was one of my favorite 2D side scrolling games when I was a kid besides Contra. Symphony of the Night was my favorite out of all the Castlevaina games and I have pretty much played them all. When Koji seen all the hate the game was getting; himI will admit when I first seen the first pics and videos of the game I was on the fence about backing it on Kickstarter. I love Castlevania and it was one of my favorite 2D side scrolling games when I was a kid besides Contra. Symphony of the Night was my favorite out of all the Castlevaina games and I have pretty much played them all. When Koji seen all the hate the game was getting; him and his team took that to heart and made a lot of changes to make the game look so much better. When I found out what they did and seen the game I had to get it. One of the best choices I made and I wished I backed it. I played it last night and it was so hard to put down. I got a little emotional cause it was so great and so worth the 4 year wait. I'm not really far into it but just blown way by everything such as the look, music, playability, upgrading system and much more. I can't wait to leave work to get home and play more. All hail Koji Igarashi for knowing what fans wanted and that's a kick ass Castlevania game. Many many thanks!!!!! Expand
  45. Jun 19, 2019
    Genuine Masterpiece! From start to finish to replaying to farming to grinding to crafting and all points in between....Exceptional! This game will capture you and refuse to let go! Comparing this game to other IGA games is needless. We simply have another one to enjoy but I will say that SotN and AoS have a new blood brother...or should I say blood sister! The circumstances surrounding theGenuine Masterpiece! From start to finish to replaying to farming to grinding to crafting and all points in between....Exceptional! This game will capture you and refuse to let go! Comparing this game to other IGA games is needless. We simply have another one to enjoy but I will say that SotN and AoS have a new blood brother...or should I say blood sister! The circumstances surrounding the creation of this game make it a work which should go down in gaming legend! Thank you IGA for your vision and to those who’s brands are on the introductory screen who provided the necessary support and to the vast sea of names in the credits who should all celebrate their part in the cause and to the gamers who put up the collateral, without which, this game would still exist only in IGA’s head! And finally, another nod to IGA for those greatest of components in this game....GAMEPLAY & OPTIONS! Thank you for empowering us! Expand
  46. Jun 19, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are a few issues, like slowdown in some areas due to too many elements on screen or the sheer size of the current map segment, and the various issues that came with the fix.

Some of the quests, besides the ones for just killing demons can be a bit tedious as well, mostly due to RNG and not knowing what drops where.

There is also a bit of confusion near the end because they don't exactly tell you the limit of what one power can do, so if you don't try you might get stuck for a moment depending on how well your puzzle solving skills are .

That being said the game is great overall.

The powers and gear in the game allow you to create whatever kind of build you want, including a powerful mage build if you so wish.

Gathering items to make new food items is worth it on two levels, not only is it improving your stats each time you initially eat an item and providing good healing items on the road ahead.

It's a fun and challenging game still though, even on the starting difficulty, but never so much that it feels impossible, ||including fighting the secret bosses ((which are re-fightable at any time)).

This game is pretty much if they took Order of Ecclesia, Symphony of the Night, and Dawn of Sorrow, perfected the bad elements of each game, mixed them back in with the good, and then released it to the players.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty goddamn good and easily worth the $40.
  47. Jun 19, 2019
    Great game, if you like Castlevania and SoTN in particular, you will love Blood Stained Ritual.
    Great music, familiar moves controls from SoTN, great atmosphere. 10/10 it on Stean PS4 and Switch Xbox, grab a copy best 35$ I spent on steam.
  48. Jun 19, 2019
    Make IGAVania great again)! 11 OD's out of 10
    (This review is made by Castlevania fan, so it has biased score)
    Pros: Vast variety of items, spells, enemies (in other words great compendium) Big castle New features to beloved formula: quests, crafting Music is great It is what Castlevania fans was waiting for Cons: Graphics are little bit old Battle system could have been a
    Make IGAVania great again)! 11 OD's out of 10
    (This review is made by Castlevania fan, so it has biased score)

Pros:
    Vast variety of items, spells, enemies (in other words great compendium)
    Big castle
    New features to beloved formula: quests, crafting
    Music is great
    It is what Castlevania fans was waiting for

Cons:
    Graphics are little bit old
    Battle system could have been a little more complex ( yet I believe that would have affected weapon and spell count, still there are combos, but they prove to be more of a style finishers, than real help in battle)
    Minor bugs
  49. Jun 19, 2019
    Pretty amazing. It delivers what it promises. Difficult in the right amount.
    A great spiritual successor to Castlevania!
  50. Jun 19, 2019
    simply fantastic, SOTN's true spiritual successor, the game I always hoped for, thank you Iga..
  51. Jun 20, 2019
    This game is a love letter to Castlevania fans, especially if you love symphony of the night.
  52. Jun 20, 2019
    Igavania is back! This game feels like a sequel to Symphony of the Night (Gebel may as well be Alucard!), but it comes with advanced graphics and new gameplay elements. The graphics have beautiful 3D renderings, and many of the cutscenes actually pull the camera into the scene, creating a greater sense of immersion. The gameplay took the best of Symphony of the Night and the DS and 3DsIgavania is back! This game feels like a sequel to Symphony of the Night (Gebel may as well be Alucard!), but it comes with advanced graphics and new gameplay elements. The graphics have beautiful 3D renderings, and many of the cutscenes actually pull the camera into the scene, creating a greater sense of immersion. The gameplay took the best of Symphony of the Night and the DS and 3Ds Castlevania games, while using the best of modern dual-stick controllers to add more to the gameplay. This is a side scroller that feels wholly new and modern. And within 10 minutes of playing, you forget the fact that it is a side scroller, it is that immersive and addicting. Even on normal mode the game is challenging, but in way that feels rewarding. You will find yourself experimenting with various moves in order to defeat various enemies, but it never becomes tedious. A quick button function for potion/item uses would be nice, so that may be one of the few reasons I am giving this a 9. A skill tree associated to leveling up may have also been nice, but with Castlevania games, your skill/attributes are largely determined by your equipment and level. Great voice cast, great dialogue, great story! This game definitely has dozens of hours of playtime. Looking forward to the online co-op modes and local split screen! Expand
  53. Jun 20, 2019
    Ele mantém toda a essência do estilo de castlevania e a trilha sonora é espetacular valeu a pena a espera
  54. Jun 20, 2019
    Grande jogo! Varias referências a sotn. Visualmente muito bonito e trilha sonora agradável. Levei design muito semelhante à qualquer metroidvania.
  55. Jun 20, 2019
    phenomenally great. IGA gives what we all wanted and hoped for. Easter eggs, secrets, and now something for the new generation of gamers, backer content. It's cool to see the portraits of people who backed. I can't wait to fight someone's pet turned into an in-game enemy. ROTN is as much a work of art as SOTN, but it has been built upon. IGA has shown his dedication to giving a qualityphenomenally great. IGA gives what we all wanted and hoped for. Easter eggs, secrets, and now something for the new generation of gamers, backer content. It's cool to see the portraits of people who backed. I can't wait to fight someone's pet turned into an in-game enemy. ROTN is as much a work of art as SOTN, but it has been built upon. IGA has shown his dedication to giving a quality experience and his listening to his fans/backers. I am so happy. Expand
  56. Jun 21, 2019
    SotN was a true masterpiece for its time. A critically-acclaimed game and heralded as one of the greatest games ever crafted. Stunning musical composition, awesome 2D sprite-based graphics, amazing level design and addictive game mechanics. It's just one of those games that doesn't shy away from being, well...a GAME! It's basically a gamers wet dream. And people have been waiting for AGESSotN was a true masterpiece for its time. A critically-acclaimed game and heralded as one of the greatest games ever crafted. Stunning musical composition, awesome 2D sprite-based graphics, amazing level design and addictive game mechanics. It's just one of those games that doesn't shy away from being, well...a GAME! It's basically a gamers wet dream. And people have been waiting for AGES on a sequel.
    Well, here it is! In spirit. This is EVERYTHING SotN was and maybe more with some top-notch voice talent even. This is a beautiful, beautiful looking game with a gorgeously orchestrated soundtrack and stunning to look at backdrops. I don't think a 2D side-scroller has impressed me THIS much since, you got it - SotN! And dammit that says a lot for me. I was very skeptical that they were going to pull this off but it is even SUPERIOR to what I could have ever imagined. This is one of those games I enjoy so damn much that I want to take my time with it. It is seriously just that good.

I cannot stress this enough. If you like SotN or Castlevania games in general, this is something you simply cannot miss. This is probably the best Castlevania game that isn't called "Castlevania." And I think simply for that reason people will dismiss it and reviews may not be as high as SotN's. If this had the "Castlevania" name, it would probably get like 95/100 across the boards.

Guys, IGA did it! Castlevania has basically returned in spiritual form. I'm actually not finished with the game yet but played enough to know when I see a masterpiece. This is already one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a very, very long time.
  57. Jun 21, 2019
    The game exceeded all my expectations, it is the perfect transition of the Igavania style to 3D. The ambientation is sublime and Michiru Yamane's music is on point as always. There is no doubt that Bloodstained is the rightful spiritual successor of Castlevania. Cogratulations to Koji Igarashi and everyone involveld in the game.
  58. Jun 21, 2019
    Woof. What do I SAY about this game!? Maybe a preface first...

Woof. What do I SAY about this game!? Maybe a preface first...

I'm not a die-hard, super purest, extra particular fan of Castlevania, nor am I a casual "I'll take anything named Castlevania" fan either. I don't have too many games in my collection under the IP, but I can safely say that Symphony of the Night is what made me fall in love. Unfortunately, it wasn't the PS1 version of the game way back in the late 90s. It was the bonus unlockable updated version that was predominantly featured in the Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP. I had to earn the right to play the game, and when I did, holy hell was it one of the more satisfying games I've ever gotten into (hence the fact it made me fall in love with the series)

Skip ahead the ups and downs (and near murder of the series at large), and in comes Igarashi being a straight up BOSS, saying he wants to bring the magic of those "IGAvania" games back to the forefront, and releasing a Kickstarter trailer to prove it. I dunk in my pledge, hoping I'd get another magical journey like Symphony, and four years later...

This game, while not my game of the year, or my favorite of all time (both titles belong to DMC5 for me), is one HELL of a game!

Gameplay is tight, responsive, slick, and rewarding to explore and experiment as you slide kick, jump, backdash, slash, bash, whip, inflame, freeze, electrify, and whatever else it takes to outsmart and obliterate countless Goetian demons in a haunted, messed up gothic castle filled with more than just references and callbacks to previous IGA Castlevanias. Even messing around with one of the more boring features (crafting) was slick, simple, and made me feel like I was making/improving something worthwhile. While it is a tad easier than SotN, I didn't mind as the game itself played so good that I just wanted more (leading to sinking in a fair amount of time on the first day playing)

The story makes its mark by taking the route of "complex story told simply" with the surface, upfront story being very straightforward, while the background story, character interactions, and lore add extra spice and flavor to the world, characters and even some of the monsters. Voice acting is solid, and all of the characters (as far as I've seen, at least) were interesting and likable. I originally thought Miriam would have been kind of boring from initial impressions during the early stages of development (even though I loved the design), but she seemed to be just an absolute gem (heh, get it?) in the full game. Headstrong, kindly, and responsible, but not afraid to be just a bit childish and sassy when the moment calls for it.

The music, while not as memorable or interesting as SotN, it comes SUPER close, and has its own flair and flavor that makes it well done and unique, and at the very least stands shoulder to shoulder with it's precursor, even if it's an inch shorter.

The designs, from characters to monsters to the castle's bizarre interior are expertly well done. I was a little worried at first midway through development, but the updated visuals really showed off the vision that IGA wanted to capture since day one.

The only downside are the few, small glitches in the game that can be found post patch (such as this annoying little swimming glitch I found when I slide kicked into the water to get out of a very tight crevice, only to find I couldn't jump out of the water at all. Taking enemy damage seems to get you out, but if no enemies are there, you're stuck. Or a glitch where a falling item bag gets stuck in the area geometry, and stays suspended in the air and unable to be collected. Glitches like that are peppered in random points, but don't harm the over all experience. I'd recommend you keep a few Waystones with you, though, just in case you get stuck somewhere weird. That'll get you out for free without needing to reload a save.

What else can I say about this game, really? It's amazing, and I think this is the beginning of a beautiful new IP. If you have any love for Castlevania, or any metroidvania games, it's a must play. If you just love a fun, action platformer game, this is also a game for you! Hell, if you just love games in general, play it! Just play this game! It's amazing!
  59. Jun 21, 2019
    At an affordable price, bloodstained rotn contains a wealth of content. The visuals, attention to detail, the music all get a 10.

The gameplay is fluid, and faster paced than symphony of the night. So I would give it a 9.
  60. Jun 22, 2019
    I can't stop playing this! I love Metroidvania games! and this is the best for me!
  61. Jun 22, 2019
    A fantastic game with incredible depth and high replayability. Iga is back in action.
  62. Jun 22, 2019
    A resounding success in reviving the genre that Iga helped to establish. Fun, with deep mechanics and a well designed map that begs to be explored.
  63. Jun 22, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Increíble juego. Se ven las ganas de hacer un buen juego. Un solo fallo... Algunos textos en castellano no están bien Expand
  64. Jun 22, 2019
    Masterpiece. A evolução de SotN. Tudo que SotN ofereceu com gráficos atuais. Aguardo ansiosamente as DLCs. Thanks, Iga!
  65. Jun 23, 2019
    An instant classic and one of the best games of this generation. Just buy it and support this developer.
  66. Jun 23, 2019
    iga delivers yet again. Ritual of the Night may very well be the greatest metroidvania since Symphony of the Night. Sure, it's not currently in a perfectly tuned state. There are a couple of glitches and framerate issues that I'm sure will be fixed overtime, but nothing is game-breaking as long as you play it post-patch.

With so many different features such as shops, crafting,

With so many different features such as shops, crafting, upgrading, loot, dozens of different magic shard powers, familiar summoning, side quests, and one hell of a story, there is more than plenty to love here from metroidvania fans to RPG vets alike. You can even change your hair and the colors of your clothes! For only $40 it would be hard to find a better 20+ hour long game this year.
  67. Jun 23, 2019
    Omg. Symphony of the night has been remade for a modern audience totally worth every penny graphics action fun factor too too amazing Igarashi has lived up to all expectations get ready for a castlevania experience that will blow your mind Maybe KONAMI will stop sitting on that gold mine and make some games again
  68. Jun 24, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simplemente genial y maravilloso, tremendo lo hecho en este clonico de castlevania, bien logrado Expand
  69. Jun 24, 2019
    Awesome Metroidvania, worth the wait, I was a little hesitant about the 40$ price tag but it's worth every penny!
  70. Jun 24, 2019
    The same way we destroyed MIGHTY n9 for bein trash , we must give love to developers that love his baby. This is case of Iga and Bloodstained. The only problem i have with it is that is a little stiff, but the item and weapon variety and secrets it has is underwelming , ande you can tell that is game made with love and not only for the money.
  71. Jun 24, 2019
    Amazing game! All we wanted is here, another metroidvania from koji igarashi, just a masterpiece o this game type. Looks like Castlevania Sotn, great feeling you will get when playing this game.
  72. Jun 25, 2019
    It's been a long time since I got excited about a video game.

They kept all their promises :D

Thank you very much for everything Mr. IGA & team
  73. Jun 25, 2019
    It is simply INCREDIBLE. Of the best games I've played in many years. When I played I felt like I was going back to my childhood playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night. Bloodstained is made exclusively for Castlevania fans and for Metroidvanias fans. 100% I have had a lot of fun.
  74. Jun 25, 2019
    Quality product worth the wait.

Starting with the only bad thing.. 1. The game experiences lag spikes where the screen freezes for a few seconds, typically this happens after entering a new room and getting a drop. But from what I've read with the Switch version of the game - we got off very easy. This is the only real problem I have experienced with the game in a complete
    Quality product worth the wait.

Starting with the only bad thing..

1. The game experiences lag spikes where the screen freezes for a few seconds, typically this happens after entering a new room and getting a drop. But from what I've read with the Switch version of the game - we got off very easy. This is the only real problem I have experienced with the game in a complete playthrough.

Everything else with this game is amazing

1. The graphics are great. Characters and enemies are a pleasure to look at and the environment is exactly what you would want from a igavania game, full with a bunch of interesting castle subareas.

2. The gameplay is deep, hundreds of weapons and spells to choose from, special weapon attacks, and different movement options.

3. Level progression feels good, you will be struggling at the start and by the end of the game you will be an untouchable god.

If it wasn't for the occasional lag spikes this would get a 10 from me. I have a 100% completion file and I look forward to all the DLC coming in the future.
  75. Jun 25, 2019
    A lot of us have been waiting for this game's release and it does not disappointed. The true Metroidvania spiritual successor created by the original game director himself. With the many games that come out these days, you simply lose interest after a few hours. However, this game is designed so well with the gameplay, music, and RPG elements that I can't stop playing it. Kudos to allA lot of us have been waiting for this game's release and it does not disappointed. The true Metroidvania spiritual successor created by the original game director himself. With the many games that come out these days, you simply lose interest after a few hours. However, this game is designed so well with the gameplay, music, and RPG elements that I can't stop playing it. Kudos to all those that backed this game on Kickstarter. With all the reviews so far, we can just hope that there will be sequel in the near future and that this game would be the 1st of many. If you are a fan of this genre then I implore you to purchase it to support the developers. Expand
  76. Jun 26, 2019
    Simply put the best Metroidvania I've played since Symphony of the Night and up there as one of my favourite "Castlevania" games. Let's face it this is Castlevania in all but name and it looks absolutely beautiful, with a wealth of customisable options and many fighting styles plus some brilliant secrets there is plenty to get your teeth into. This is comfortably the best game of 2019 so far
  77. Jun 26, 2019
    I baked this game and was pleasantly surprised that all of my expectations were well exceeded. The only weak link present is the disjointed story for the game. If they put a bit more time into it, it would be absolute perfection. Despite that, this game deserves every single 10 it receives. The launch had issues, but they didn’t want to delay it any longer than they absolutely had to.I baked this game and was pleasantly surprised that all of my expectations were well exceeded. The only weak link present is the disjointed story for the game. If they put a bit more time into it, it would be absolute perfection. Despite that, this game deserves every single 10 it receives. The launch had issues, but they didn’t want to delay it any longer than they absolutely had to. Kudos to Iga and 505. The game is a complete and polished treasure. Sound, graphics, and gameplay are all beautifully done and satisfying. Thank you for making a true SotN successor. Expand
  78. Jun 26, 2019
    This review is long on purpose, spoiler free and meant to convey my deepest thanks to everyone that was a part of making this game possible. That includes the KickStarter backers. I was not a part of you guys, but I think this game shows something amazing that is possible in gaming. Imagine if the same amount of people that backed this game each gave MORE money, what could we fund?!This review is long on purpose, spoiler free and meant to convey my deepest thanks to everyone that was a part of making this game possible. That includes the KickStarter backers. I was not a part of you guys, but I think this game shows something amazing that is possible in gaming. Imagine if the same amount of people that backed this game each gave MORE money, what could we fund?! Anyways...

I get it. You value your money and you're now considering whether to buy another 2D game. Maybe you bought Dead Cells or Salt & Sanctuary some time ago and didn't get into those too much, and maybe you never played SotN or any of the other Castlevanias (like myself), so the hype from the fans feels distant and perhaps irrelevant to your tastes. This review is here to assuage your fears: go ahead and buy the game, my friend.

About the game: fighting is serviceable by itself, but when put in tandem with sheer amount of abilities, both active and passive, you will be playing this game over and over and over. No one is really here for the story, but the characters are surprisingly likeable and deep when you consider how little we interact with the story. The music... omg, the music... lovely, beautiful and rocks pretty hard all in the same game (check out Dominique's Theme, it makes me hate when I'm done shopping because I have to leave the room with beautiful music). You WILL love the art style by the middle of your playthrough, guaranteed, idc how you feel about it at the beginning. You can't play as a male (at least not that I'm aware of rn, maybe in the future, or maybe cheat codes), but Miriam is a convincing badass. Every enemy drops a move that you can potentially add to your arsenal. With hats, armor, 2 ring slots, and a cape + picking 5 magic/shard types (each with their own category) + the surprising unique passives some items you can equip give you + the fun parts of grinding with little of the downsides (you don't have to do it) + map traversal moves you procedurally get in metroidvanias + on-the-fly loadout swapping and item use... with all this you have a game that you can play ANY way YOU want.

Wanna spam Teps Oceus and Igar Storaema, filling the screen with lighting and fire while your passive decreases the rate in which you us MP? You can do that.

Wanna exploit the fact that the game just came out and some weapons are just completely lolbroken, and way better than some other weapons? You can do that.

Wanna walk around in armor that damages things you touch, so you just have to double jump into the torch/fire things from all the Castlevania games that give you mana, while your pet follows you around casting holy spells at your enemies? You can do that, too.

Wanna do all these things at once? The above examples practically describes my character that I beat the game with! And I'm leaving some stuff out! Think about the unique character YOU could create! I ran a Luck and DMG build, but you can go ultra-tanky, high-speed, more wizardly than myself or go full melee and save your mana for the techniques you can perform with weapons.

Honestly, I never bought a crowdfunded game, but GOTDAYUM this game is good.

I have like 2000 characters left, so to be fair, bad parts: (1.) the economy is not balanced and can be broken, but I would suggest not breaking the economy on your first playthrough on purpose, don't read any guides or tips, just go in blind! (2.) some mid-to-late game main story objectives are really hard to figure out. I can see 2-4 points in the game people maybe saying "Lol, I would have NEVER figured that out myself." (3.) The drop rates for things should be higher, and monsters should drop more than one thing more often. I don't say thing because the grinding is boring, NO, actually it's fun, I say this because the current system makes you grind more and longer than you would if things dropped more often, making it easy to overlevel without trying, just because you want some more copies of a spell to make it stronger, or you want to farm the alchemy materials to make certain things stronger. To be fair, one doesn't have to grind at all to beat the game, but idk if I'm that hardcore yet.

To conclude... I was pleasantly surprised by Bloodstained. I can't think of my Top 20 video games of all time all right now, but I'm pretty sure Bloodstained's gonna be there and stay there. I LOVE this game, and I thank everyone that was a part of it for making this for longtime fans and new fans (like myself). I can't believe that in the same year as DMC5 I get THIS too. I'm gonna be swapping between Bloodstained and DMC5 until the first price drop for next-gen consoles lol, and as someone in the military I want to say that these gaming experiences are much appreciated for emotional moral, insane fun and to get away from the real world of hard work every once in a while.

Using my final ~60 or so characters to say thank you:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
  79. Jun 27, 2019
    This game accomplishes everything it set out to do. Many crowd funded games fail, but this is definitely one of the most successful and polished, no question. A lot of love was put into it and it shows. It has a lot that made SotN so great, but exceeded expectations by adding deeper RPG mechanics, crafting, cooking, and best of all, a really awesome system that allows you to use theThis game accomplishes everything it set out to do. Many crowd funded games fail, but this is definitely one of the most successful and polished, no question. A lot of love was put into it and it shows. It has a lot that made SotN so great, but exceeded expectations by adding deeper RPG mechanics, crafting, cooking, and best of all, a really awesome system that allows you to use the abilities of ALL the demons you kill in tens of thousands of combinations. It’s not perfect, has minor bugs, but you probably won’t care. Expand
  80. Jun 29, 2019
    It is the true successor of Castlevania. IGA is the man who knows Castlevania most.
    10/10 masterpiece.
  81. Jun 29, 2019
    Olha... tem muito tempo que não jogo um game tão bom. Comprei para o Xbox One X, que está fantástico, rodando a 60fps liso e lindo!!! O jogo basicamente segue a linha de Catelvania, com uma grande variedade de itens para pegar e evoluir. Além disso, por se tratar de um RPG, habilidades também podem ser adquiridas e desenvolvidas ao longo do jogo. Nota 10 sem dúvida.
  82. Jun 30, 2019
    If you're a fan of the Castlevania SotN or Super Metroid, then you should probably try this game. But still, this game feels like a clone of the Symphony. But a very good clone, though. It's like playing the spin-off of Symphony with better graphics and new mechanics. So you probably have to try this.
  83. Jun 30, 2019
    I was very pleased to discover that this was a great Igavania. Early impressions and previews had been fairly negative. I would say quality wise this is in the same vein as Symphony of the Night, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.

The few issues I have is that if you grind a bit, the bosses become ridiculously easy, this was a problem in older Igavanias, but IGA had found a great balance in Ecclesia, a game that was quite challenging even if you grinded a bunch. I haven't tried Nightmare mode, but the problem is that the bosses are simply not that interesting, which is quite surprising, because even when the bosses weren't tough, they were definitely memorable in previous titles. This is not the case here, however the rest of the monsters are just as good as they used to be.

Another slight let down is the music, it's really kind of forgettable, which again for an Igavania is kind of a shock. It's not bad by any means, mind you, I simply can't remember a single tune.

It's also worth noting that this feels kind of like a throwback, not in a bad way, this is a great and fun game, but it is very much a by the numbers Igavania. The systems in place are more in depths than in previous titles, perhaps, but this is not the step forward that games like Hollow Knight, or SteamWorld Dig brought to the conversation.

This game is "simply" an excellent Metroidvania, and if you are into that, then go right ahead and play it, because you will have a real blast. (Just don't get it on Switch)
  84. Jul 2, 2019
    AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING Game. im a old proffesional gamer & im playing videogames about 27years from atari nintendo sega &.... this game is super nice i love it
  85. Jul 2, 2019
    Es el sucesor de Symphony of The Night, con eso digo todo, no tengo nada más que decir.

El juego es una joya, todos sus aspectos están bien cuidados, si van a comprar una versión solo no compren la de Switch ya que no lo levanta, pero en PC y PS4 fluye demasiado bien. Uno de los mejores juegos de toda la generación.
  86. Jul 2, 2019
    What a wonderful pseudo sequel to the ever brilliant Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Despite a few bugs, this is the definitive unofficial follow up to the best game of all time. Have at you!
  87. Jul 4, 2019
    Great game! This is one of those types of games in which you can disappear for hours. Also, the game has an excellent soundtrack and good level design, which is very interesting to explore. For me personally, this is the game of the year.
  88. Jul 5, 2019
    After many kickstarters that disappointed the fans, this is definitely one that lived up to all it's promises and surpassed it. So much love and quality was put into this game and it really shows. The beautiful graphics, the stunning gothic art style, the amazingly diverse cast of characters and enemies, and the ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS MUSIC! Like seriously there were times I stopped playingAfter many kickstarters that disappointed the fans, this is definitely one that lived up to all it's promises and surpassed it. So much love and quality was put into this game and it really shows. The beautiful graphics, the stunning gothic art style, the amazingly diverse cast of characters and enemies, and the ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS MUSIC! Like seriously there were times I stopped playing the game just to listen to the amazing soundtrack for several minutes on end, especially if I hit a new area. What also blew me away was just how big the map of this game was! Every time I thought "Oh surely this next area is the last one", it wasn't! It lead to new corridors, new enemies, new bosses, and just new fun to be found. The game is also just the right kind of challenge with a fair amount of save points that recover your HP, enemies that you can overcome with skill and natural progression, and bosses that you can figure out the strategies for after a series of deaths. This game just really hits everything I've been looking for awhile, and it amazes me that there's such a huge amount of content in a $40 or less package. Even upon beating the game there's still so much I can do; quests, extra bosses, things to cook and craft, I know I can easily spend another 20+ hours just having fun! I'm definitely going for a Platinum Trophy on this one, and looking forward to every second of it! A high recommendation for everyone! Expand
  89. Jul 8, 2019
    if you liked Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, you will love this game. There are more systems to sink your teeth into like crafting, ability enhancements, equipment loadouts, quests, food/buffs, etc. Also David Hayter, the original voice of Solid Snake from MGS, lends his voice acting to this game. Highly recommended if you like Metroidvania type games.
  90. Jul 11, 2019
    Love it but fix the switch version. ,after all they are the biggest install base.
  91. Jul 14, 2019
    It's great! Kinda surprised it turned out so well! Great gameplay, memorable music. It's all here!
  92. Jul 15, 2019
    Loved this game. Finished it quite quickly then realised I had missed 2/3 of the game. Now going through and completing the rest of it and just don't want it to end. It is awesome.
  93. Jul 28, 2019
    Fantastic Metroidvania game from the legendary Koji Igarashi. Bloodstained is basically a "greatest hits" of IGA's best Castlevania entries:

- Giant map with amazing visuals, great OST, and hundreds of different enemies; - the familiar system is taken straight form Symphony of the night, and it's still as fun as ever; - the shard system is an adaptation of Dawn of Sorrow's amazing

- Giant map with amazing visuals, great OST, and hundreds of different enemies;
    - the shard system is an adaptation of Dawn of Sorrow's amazing souls system, even improved;
    - The quest system, much of the main character design, and some of the plot points are inspired from Order of Ecclesia.

Let's be real here: this is pretty much the new Castlevania game that Konami will never give us. Thank you Igarashi, you gave your fans all they could ask for.
  94. Jul 30, 2019
    Exceptional game! Super fun ! Metroid like game for castlevania franchise fans. It lacks on difficult but i enjoyed playing. Super recomended
  95. Jul 30, 2019
    Really amazing game with plenty to discover, collect and unlock. Very fun once you get the hang of it and hard mode is actually a challenge which is welcome.

Soundtrack is varied, fitting and wonderful. Graphics is not the strong point but it is more the style that I disagree with otherwise the castle itself is quite beautiful with a bit humour sprinkled in there. Love the directional input special moves.

Well done Iga!
  96. Aug 1, 2019
    Excelente jogo. Honrou em muito o legado deixado por Castlevania Symphony of The night.Quem dera todo jogo de Kickstarter tivesse essa qualidade
  97. Aug 2, 2019
    I'm and older game, so I was worried that perhaps some rose colored nostalgia goggles would hype me up too much for this release. Many Metroidvania clones have disappointed me over the last decade or so and I would always gravitate back to a playthrough of SOTN or one the classic Metroid/Castlevania games on the GBA to get my fix. After all these years, SOTN is still the best in the genre.I'm and older game, so I was worried that perhaps some rose colored nostalgia goggles would hype me up too much for this release. Many Metroidvania clones have disappointed me over the last decade or so and I would always gravitate back to a playthrough of SOTN or one the classic Metroid/Castlevania games on the GBA to get my fix. After all these years, SOTN is still the best in the genre. I was worried that this game too may not live up to that high mantle. Man was I wrong to worry.

I've been playing this for many hours and so far I'm coming away impressed. It really feels like Iga has brought this genre to the next gen finally, after years of having to slog through handheld versions and smaller indie titles that used the Metroidvania formula but just had something off here and there. Not that those versions are bad, but it feels nice to be able to play a game like this natively on my PS4 and 70" TV. Iga is the master of this genre and only the few metroid games like Samus Returns and Zero Mission can even compare as a rival to his great releases.

The only thing that bothers me about this game a little are the graphics. There's something wierd about the hybrid 2d/3d format, but I'm getting used to it. As usual, the enemies are spectacular and cleverly designed. The Floating Pig thing makes me laugh everytime. The difficulty on normal is fair because the gameplay is very tight as to be expected. Every weapon class has it's own pluses and minuses and they all feel very unique. There is a purpose or situation for every weapon in the game, so none of them ever feel obsolete or useless. There is no one uber class of weapon. Sometimes a fast light weapon is ideal, other times you want to equip a high damage but slow claymore for max effectiveness. The special shards are basically magic, and also offer an insane amount of variety. These are basically like Souls from before.

Also, the presentation gets a major upgrade here and I guess that's why it's a bonus to go with a 3d engine. Cutscenes are not like the traditional side view style, but zoom in and out all around offering close up views of characters and monsters. This really fleshes out the storytelling and improves upon one of the main flaws of the original 2d sidescrolling Castlevanias. The story is good, fairly interesting but kind of a been there done that tale, very closely mimicking the previous games. I mean, once again there is a castle to infiltrate. LOL.

It matters not though, the action, level and monster desing, and pacing of upgrades is perfect. When it comes to side scrolling adventure, Iga has proven that he is the undisputed master of the craft. I hope this game does really well so we can see more AAA titles like this make it to our consoles. Extremely happy with this game and it's probably the best game I've played this year since RE2 Remake. Old school is new again this year! Giving it a 9 solely cuz I feel the graphics are bit to anime/cartoony style for me. Others probably love it though and the characters are definitely charming enough.
  98. Aug 2, 2019
    The beginning of a new series that I hope lasts longer than Castlevania did. SoTN has always worn the crown for the Castlevania series imo and while I am not quick to dethrone it, if RoTN had come first it, would be king. I went back and played SoTN right after beating RoTN and found myself quickly missing many things from RoTN. Any fan of Castlevania has a duty to play this game andThe beginning of a new series that I hope lasts longer than Castlevania did. SoTN has always worn the crown for the Castlevania series imo and while I am not quick to dethrone it, if RoTN had come first it, would be king. I went back and played SoTN right after beating RoTN and found myself quickly missing many things from RoTN. Any fan of Castlevania has a duty to play this game and support the future! Just do yourself a favor and input the cheat code to play on Hard your first play through (hunting down all the shards and crafting ingredients made me OP). Oh and if anyone solves Celeste's room, you will be a legend ;) Expand
  99. Aug 6, 2019
    Degno erede della serie Castlevania, che per quel che mi riguarda si conclude con SOTN. Meccaniche di gioco fantastiche, atmosfera e colonna sonora coinvolgenti. Non do il 10 perché ad oggi il gioco soffre di qualche bug.
  100. Aug 13, 2019
    An amazing game. it's a mixture between Sypmhony of the night and the DS games, simply amazing and entertaining, if things continue like this being the indies listening to what people want and the big developpers ignoring them, indies will take the lead. Same with hollow knight, even better than most of the plataformers of the big companies. The game is full of easter eggs (the nameAn amazing game. it's a mixture between Sypmhony of the night and the DS games, simply amazing and entertaining, if things continue like this being the indies listening to what people want and the big developpers ignoring them, indies will take the lead. Same with hollow knight, even better than most of the plataformers of the big companies. The game is full of easter eggs (the name itself) from symphony of the night. A must play. Expand

1. Aug 19, 2019
    An awesome spiritual successor to old Castlevanias. The story is the weakest point, true, but everything else is splendid, especially the level design and the sheer amount of creative ideas. If you want a great action RPG platformer, you’ve got one right here.
  2. Aug 8, 2019
    Bloodstained has a lot going for it. Satisfying gameplay, many secrets to find, and a huge castle to explore. There is a lot to discover in how you play, especially as you find more secrets and items. The shard system is an interesting way to customize your gameplay style. It is very much more of what you love from Symphony of the Night and other Castlevania games of that era. But Bloodstained doesn’t do anything new with the genre. It borrows many concepts to create a game with more of what people loved about the other games. In short, if you’re a fan then give this one a go. Minus a few iffy aspects, Bloodstained is fun experience. Whether it falls into the realm of one of the greats is unlikely but I enjoyed my time anyway.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    The king of Metroidvanias is finally here with a new title. A few bugs and weird animations will not prevent it from sitting on the throne.