7.9

1. Apr 7, 2015
    I love Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but this is a very, very poor cash grab that adds very little to the game. Yes, you get a paltry discount if you already own DS2 and/or the DLC, but the fact is, this is what you paid for when you bought the PC version a year ago, but they dumbed it down to gain parity with the consoles. I am so sick of this underhanded tactic from developers, and myI love Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, but this is a very, very poor cash grab that adds very little to the game. Yes, you get a paltry discount if you already own DS2 and/or the DLC, but the fact is, this is what you paid for when you bought the PC version a year ago, but they dumbed it down to gain parity with the consoles. I am so sick of this underhanded tactic from developers, and my score is a reflection of that. There is no excuse for such low and unnecessary tricks to be used to make money. If they had released this product in this way at release, it would have spoken for itself. As it is, they took a year to add basic DX11 polish (which was already in the PC demo build) and make a convenient DLC bundle. Sorry FromSoft, but you get two big fat middle fingers for this garbage. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2018
    The Dark Souls project is in new hands, and the assessment is to determine if the new team can deliver, and expand on the dream of the original. We see much of the same elements of the first Dark Souls within this successor, and Dark Souls is one of my all-time favorite games. Then why did I give it such a low score? Well, it's because of one major flaw. One of the most well-documentedThe Dark Souls project is in new hands, and the assessment is to determine if the new team can deliver, and expand on the dream of the original. We see much of the same elements of the first Dark Souls within this successor, and Dark Souls is one of my all-time favorite games. Then why did I give it such a low score? Well, it's because of one major flaw. One of the most well-documented perks of Dark Souls is its crushing, yet fair difficulty. If I die, I know that it was because I screwed up and that I can improve next time. What Dark Souls II fails to realize is that difficulty is not what made Dark Souls so popular. The result is a game that is crushingly difficult, yes, but unfair and irritating to the player, and I don't play video games to feel irritated. Enemies are placed in groups so that ganking cannot be avoided, weapons feel like they're made of wet toilet paper, and that damned health-drain mechanic that lowers your maximum HP upon death. Everything is this game is a sloppy stand-in for difficulty, and it leaves me uninvested and unwilling to continue forward. Losing to a boss in Dark Souls made me want to start again as quickly as possible. Losing to a boss in Dark Souls II makes me want to turn off the game and switch to something else. In the long slogs between bosses, I'm so paralyzed with boredom from death after death, and that's nothing to take away from the horrendous hit-boxes. It surprises me that, even after three years of run-time, the hit-boxes haven't been fixed, because it's inexcusable. Looking at the game as a whole, it's not too bad, better than most games that came out of 2015. But we know FromSoftware can do better because Dark Souls is one of the most fully-realized games of all time. So if we look at the game as a successor to the original, it's so annoyingly bad that I wonder if the developers had any idea what they were doing. Its only redeeming qualities are the bosses that I found at least somewhat enjoyable and certain areas that reminded me of the original Dark Souls. And when your only redeeming quality as a sequel is what reminded me of your predecessor, you have some serious work to do Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2020
    Demon Souls 1? Legendary.
    Dark Souls 1? Masterpiece.
    Light Souls 2? What a PIECE of TVRD, ¡seriously!? There are too many enemies and bosses doing s**t that is just just random, absurd or jank. Honestly, it's just barely above "Lords of the Fallen" trash mechanics.
    Dark Souls 3? Amazing.
    Bloodborne? Godly.
    Sekiro? Very Good.
  4. Oct 12, 2019
    Boring Story, repetitive gameplay. Overall an extremely disappointing experience.
  5. Mar 12, 2020
    "How to transfer a good game to a new generation console according to Bandai Namco"
    Step 1 - select game
    Step 2 - forget the plot and common sense
    Step 3 - mix opponents and items thoroughly
    Step 4 - add a pinch of NG + in different places of the game ... although it doesn’t matter throw as much as you want
    Done, enjoy and have a new unforgettable experience
  6. Feb 5, 2017
    Does more wrong than right, so much so that it hurts the game on many levels. Waiting a year for a "better version" only split the dwindling community even further between three platforms and six games with three original and three scholar versions. Overall this is was a slap in the face to souls veterans and a cheap attempt to right a wrong.
  7. Aug 2, 2019
    DS 2 is not even a true "DARK" game, in order to have the title of DARK SOULS in it, the 2013 DEMO of the same is, but the final version is definitely not. It has texture with a very poor quality in all its versions, including the one of PC, especially considering that it is a game of 2014, & in 2015 there were already games like The Witcher 3, which makes DS 2 to look like a game of aDS 2 is not even a true "DARK" game, in order to have the title of DARK SOULS in it, the 2013 DEMO of the same is, but the final version is definitely not. It has texture with a very poor quality in all its versions, including the one of PC, especially considering that it is a game of 2014, & in 2015 there were already games like The Witcher 3, which makes DS 2 to look like a game of a half a decade before the 2014, because of the difference with regard to the quality of textures between the two, something that it is really pathetic & embarrassing for the DS 2 piece of work. It allows the player to warp between Bonfires from the beginning, which literally murder in cold blood a great deal of immersion & exploration in it. The enemies are very badly misplaced in the levels. The animation of the sequences in the attacks are just terrible with respect to the lack of inmercion that it causes, to a player. Its system focuses on punishing the player when the same dies, at resurrect it with less life, instead of encouraging it to self-overcome, which is one of the main philosophies of the DARK SOULS series, Hidetaka Miyazaki himself confirmed that philosophy for the series. The writing level of the game is very poor. The NPCs are extremely depressing, & constantly encourage the player to surrender during the dialogues, instead of encouraging the player not to become Hollow, as they generally should with indifference responses like on DS 3 & ESPECIALLY in DS 1! Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2016
    Even after the SOTFS update game is still broken and dull as F. Cheap locations (Iron Keep), boring story, clunky and unfun pve, and the graphic is just... pathetic. All that goes for this game is to make it as "hard" as possible (still most of the bosses are a joke, too easy compare to locations before the boss area) and when in DS1 that was a normal thing, now it feels like a cheapEven after the SOTFS update game is still broken and dull as F. Cheap locations (Iron Keep), boring story, clunky and unfun pve, and the graphic is just... pathetic. All that goes for this game is to make it as "hard" as possible (still most of the bosses are a joke, too easy compare to locations before the boss area) and when in DS1 that was a normal thing, now it feels like a cheap cash-grab strategy to get some money from kids, who treat this game as a new prank-challenge kinda thing (since the hardest game they ever had was Call of Duty on Medium... Try Ninja Gaiden or Megaman on NES casuals.) In the end: not a bad game, but man - im so bored after 3/4 of the game-play that i might just never end this "thing"... Expand
  9. Jan 20, 2016
    Having invested over 150 hours and having beaten the entire game and all 3 DLCs in NG+, I have to say that this game is pretty bad. The main issues come from the controls and the core mechanics. They're terrible. First off, the jump button shouldn't be default bound to the movement stick. That's stupid. There's isn't any button remapping in this game other than assigning jump to theHaving invested over 150 hours and having beaten the entire game and all 3 DLCs in NG+, I have to say that this game is pretty bad. The main issues come from the controls and the core mechanics. They're terrible. First off, the jump button shouldn't be default bound to the movement stick. That's stupid. There's isn't any button remapping in this game other than assigning jump to the circle button. That's also retarded.

The target switching button shouldn't be bound to the camera stick. That's unfathomably stupid. There are problems with the hitboxes in this game, especially on bosses. You can get hit with a stomp for example, by most bosses even if it's clear that the boss's character model completely missed your character. There was no intersection at all, but still, the hit registered. Speaking of enemies, they mostly can kill you in 1-3 hits the entire game, they have unlimited stamina and they barely ever wobble and they can't have their swings blocked by things like walls, but the player can. That's unfair.

Every jump is a horizontal jump, not a vertical one and it must end with a roll. I'm not even joking, unfortunately. There is no canceling animations. If you're on the ground and you hit the drink button, then see the boss running at you, there is nothing you can do, you must watch your character finish standing and then he will drink. That's insanely stupid. Dodge should always dodge immediately, regardless of what action it might interrupt.

This is a Japanese game about medieval European fantasy. It looks like Skyrim meets Turbo Mecha Samurai. It's really stupid. The hollowing is a poor concept and this game has a backwards curve, which is bull crap no matter what game you play. Basically, these guys were so interested in making the game hard that they broke the mechanics and then centered the game around the poor combat. It's essentially a timing game where every enemy is stronger than you are. If your animation is too late, you're dead, if it's too early, you're dead. It reminds me of making a car racing game where you only drive on ice with flat tires. Sure, it's a bad game, but it's so HARD, so that makes it GOOD, right? WRONG. This game sucks
  10. Jul 22, 2015
    I bought and loved Dark Souls 2 when it first came out for PS3. After beating and loving Bloodborne I decided to get Scholar of the First Sin to continue feeding my souls cravings.

That was a complete mistake. 1) The graphics are improved but still butt ugly. Despite releasing DS2 on a more powerful console From decided to withhold the graphic quality they were advertising in the

That was a complete mistake.

1) The graphics are improved but still butt ugly. Despite releasing DS2 on a more powerful console From decided to withhold the graphic quality they were advertising in the original PS3 trailers.
    2) The controls are sloppy and the game-play is dated. Bloodborne moved the bar. Fanboys will say that DS gameplay is "tactical"... that just means they like to strafe-block-punish.
    3) The new enemy placement is just stupid. Dark Souls 1 is challenging in a good way... most of the time. The Anor Londo archers were challenging in a bad frustrating way. Dark Souls 2 vanilla was the right amount of good challenge. Scholar of the First Sin is a lot more Anor Londo archer nonsense.
    4) The creation of a different DS2 client splits the player baser even further, hampering online play.

5) DIRTY BUSINESS PRACTICES. Fromsoft initially announced they they weren't going to release DLCs from DS2. They released a game with lose ends and then sold 3 DLCs to tie them up. Then after you bought the game and the 3 DLCs they sell the completed version of the game not as a patch or DLC BUT AS AN ENTIRELY OTHER GAME 1 YEAR AFTER THE INITIAL RELEASE.

You're Dirty From. You're so dirty. You took a near perfect PS3 game and made a steaming turd for PS4.
  11. Sep 12, 2015
    I haven't been this disappointed in a sequel since picking up Soulcalibur 4. Dark Souls 2 isn't a legitimate successor to Dark Souls. I don't know what the press and other users played, but what I played was a clumsy, mildly interesting excuse for a From Software game. The enemies are uninspired and poorly scripted often relying on numbers to overwhelm the player rather than posing aI haven't been this disappointed in a sequel since picking up Soulcalibur 4. Dark Souls 2 isn't a legitimate successor to Dark Souls. I don't know what the press and other users played, but what I played was a clumsy, mildly interesting excuse for a From Software game. The enemies are uninspired and poorly scripted often relying on numbers to overwhelm the player rather than posing a legitimate challenge. Level design ranges from too heavily saturated with color to drab. There's really no excuse for the state of this entry in the series. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne each made successive progress. This isn't even a step backwards. It's on a completely different scale from the other games (and that's not a compliment) Expand
  12. Nov 15, 2019
    What happens when you take a beloved game, but take away the creative mastermind genius Miyazaki and instead let a **** B-team develop the sequel? You get Dark Souls II. This game was so bad, that they actually re-released it a year later, claiming to have fixed many issues. Except that they didn't fix anything and only made it worse. Ivory King is epic tho, so a bonus point for that.
  13. Apr 19, 2015
    Played this for only 3 hours and returned it the next day. I agree with the low scores. RENT FIRST, trust me. I do want to mention that as you progress in the beginning part, there is an area that has giant armoured knights-ridiculously hard to beat especially when they throw something hard at you that early without giving you a chance to upgrade or find better weapons and armor. Fail.
  14. Apr 15, 2015
    Dark souls 2 was the worst money I ever spent on a ps4 game and here's why. I will start by saying that I played bloodborne first, absolutely loved it, even got the platinum trophy. I never played any of the souls games before bloodborne So I decided I want more from from software so I checked some screenshots online and though well dark souls 2 doesn't look very cool. But people told meDark souls 2 was the worst money I ever spent on a ps4 game and here's why. I will start by saying that I played bloodborne first, absolutely loved it, even got the platinum trophy. I never played any of the souls games before bloodborne So I decided I want more from from software so I checked some screenshots online and though well dark souls 2 doesn't look very cool. But people told me that it's an incredible game.. Well I bought it. The game turned out to be ugly, very poorly designed, the exploration is unrewarding. The atmosphere is basically absent and the sound design is poor. The world is boring and ugly. The npcs are dull and poorly voiced. The enemies' design is not cool. The 2 bosses that I've seen were both very poorly designed and were laughable not scary or cool. After bloodborne I was also very disappointed with the combat system with totally overpowered magic spells and the absolute must to use shields. The combat is also clumsy, slow, the animations are outdated. After trying to enjoy this game for 10 hours I sold my copy and very happy that I could get the part of money back. I was curious if I actually will only like bloodborne so I gave the old "demon's souls" for PS3 a try and so far I like it a lot, much much more then the supposedly newer and better dark souls 2 on ps4. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2015
    The graphics are improved but still butt ugly The new enemy placement is just stupid. terribly generic hack-n-slash very, very poor cash grab that adds very little to the game
  16. Sep 17, 2015
    An utterly disappointing, featureless remake of a game which disappointed so many die-hard Souls fans, myself included were severely disappointed by, for reasons ranging from uncreative bosses to sloppy design, lore and technical issues. Note, though, that even if you did like Dark Souls 2 for some of its more robust weapons, or the extra variety in character creation, (and there's nothingAn utterly disappointing, featureless remake of a game which disappointed so many die-hard Souls fans, myself included were severely disappointed by, for reasons ranging from uncreative bosses to sloppy design, lore and technical issues. Note, though, that even if you did like Dark Souls 2 for some of its more robust weapons, or the extra variety in character creation, (and there's nothing wrong with that! you are entitled to your own opinion), Scholar of the First Sin just feels wrong. Firstly, if you're a new player, the level design is even more idiotic and unfair than vanilla Dark Souls 2; with such ingenious design decisions as placing a boss as a regular enemy, in knee-deep water which restricts movement, at a point where many players may not have even encountered said boss in the shallow water that makes him an easy fight yet! Scholar of the First Sin's enemy placement also, may I add, breaks the immersion of the game even further! Desert Sorceresses, Nightmares, Gargoyles and Old Heide Knights in a Castle which NONE of them should be in.

If there's anything that Scholar of the First Sin proves to me, it's that fanbases will gladly accept **** be it **** level design, or **** business practices, like repeating the EXACT SAME ENEMY in several locations, with no changes in moveset or weapon, or rereleasing your game with a free season pass and bloom lighting for FULL PRICE, solely because it's part of their beloved franchise.

Well, while Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin is a game made by a sweetheart developer, in a sweetheart franchise, it's a game that makes no attempt to cover the flaws of the previous title; other than a hastily added, poorly thought-out NPC and ending, and a game that by all means, shouldn't exist.
  17. Apr 12, 2015
    Little this game can offer to those who already played Dark Souls 2 on PS3. I own DS2 and season pass for PS3 and generally fan of the series. That is why I especially hate to see they decided to sell the same game for the same price even for season pass owners.
    Could be a great game for those who playing it for the 1st time on PS4, but zero score for zero respect for existing subscribers.
  18. Apr 14, 2015
    Man , I spend the money ! Put the Disk in PS4 , Loved the movie graphic !!! BUT GAME PLAY is using Super Mario Technology .

Honestly thinking about selling the Game ... :S
  19. Oct 31, 2015
    After promises of an epic role-playing game, and excellent combat, i gave DS2 a try. My first foray into DS games, and apparently a bad way to start,

This is such a terribly generic hack-n-slash. Looks bad, plays even worse, the controls are so clumsy and unresponsive, I took the game out after 10 minutes. Some might say that isn't long enough, but with graphics, environments and controls in the first 10 minutes being so clumsy and uninspired, when the first 10 minutes should grip a player, this could hold nothing more for me.

Avoid at all costs.
  20. Aug 5, 2019
    I still dont get how people like this game. Its horrible. Get DS3, DSR or BB. DS2 is a dumpster fire.
  21. Apr 15, 2015
    I give this game a score a zero out of 10.... thats hards to come by for me... and I absolutely love demon souls and dark souls even loved bloodborne! Now what really gives it such a low score is the fact its remastered for next gen when it just came out.... kinda... wierd... but ok.... ill bite.. then the no additional dlc just remastered dlc with some added npcs and bosses... ok ... notI give this game a score a zero out of 10.... thats hards to come by for me... and I absolutely love demon souls and dark souls even loved bloodborne! Now what really gives it such a low score is the fact its remastered for next gen when it just came out.... kinda... wierd... but ok.... ill bite.. then the no additional dlc just remastered dlc with some added npcs and bosses... ok ... not terrible I kinda enjoyed some of the new additions some I thought were stupid like bosses becoming npcs after awhile... kinda silly... but what really broke the rating bar was bugs..... usually games have glitches and bugs.. but darksouls 2 first sin embraces them... and I just find that to be poor design development and coding to be at fault and not an implement of harder difficulty if its a bug its a bug/glitch not something meant to give you a harder time... one such game breaking bug is weapon durability have fun never using the weapon you want in scholars of first sin where your weapons break after just a few hits! the original version of the game is not so bad its more forgiving with weapon durability and after careful research I have found it is indeed a bug....glitch. It was not intended to be apart of the game... weapons are suppose to break but not after 10 swings with any weapon... Im sorry but I find this remake to be in poor taste and not worth any sum of money past 5 dollars the original for ps3 holds for value as it stands as a complete unbroken game with real challenges. If your a masochist though go play scholars of first sin it will not disappoint you in the department of difficulty.. I love hard games but only if they are unbroken and meant to be hard I dont like hard games with game breaking glitches that go in favor of bosses and npc giving them more of a upperhand and you a handicap. Until this weapon durability glitch is fixed I cannot give this game more than a zero.. even with no bugs id give this game a 6-7 out of 10 because of it being copy and pasted to next gen and sold for the price of a new game.. all con artists .... Expand
  22. Jan 29, 2020
    Only because of shrine of amana stupid annoying **** mages **** cancer hate this area
  23. Jul 3, 2020
    I beat the game and I didn't like it.
    I don't get why people praise it so much.
    Yes there is fun lore great music and some good looking levels. However The combat is Monster Hunter dipped in butter enemy's glide around there Axis to track your movement while they take there swings. And after you got them they When a enemy is low to the ground your character can't physically bend over to
    I beat the game and I didn't like it.
    I don't get why people praise it so much.
    Yes there is fun lore great music and some good looking levels.
    However

And after you got them they When a enemy is low to the ground your character can't physically bend over to hit downwards unless locked on (a basic system Zelda figured out In the past)

When Fighting multiple enemies the camera actively tries to frame only 1 opponent.

Enemie Ranged attacks have weird tracking that often ghost threw walls.

The dodge roll is inconsistent.

The stats are not explained.

The level design sucks on purpose they wanted the game to be deep and thought-provoking so they decided to not explain why your doing anything and or what your nnext step is.

The collect your souls mechanic is not fun.
    You can always farm so it's just a waist of time to explore with extra XP.

Enemy's don't have stamina so while you're forced to fight and think enemies just spam away until You or they die.

The story is non existent

The combat is easy when you learn that the weakness of every enemy I'm dark souls is just walking the enemy's right side.
    And only hit one's when it's your turn.

The game was so boring I fell asleep multiple times playing the game.

The game would have been a lot better with.
    A better story.
    A more robust combat system.
    Less pompous level design.
    Better explained stat systems.

Less prepare to die because of luck please.

DS2 is best summed up in 1 boss in counter.
    4 tiny dogs 1big dog.

Yes you can win the battle but did you have fun probably not.
  24. Sep 4, 2020
    If you are a dynamic gamer craving for fast-pace combat, this game will teach you how to play with style. It will slow your combat pace down, allowing you to enjoy gameplay and story to the fullest. The game has a unique tranquility when playing with headphones. Enjoy/Play the game with a steady pace and you will want more. I'm hunting the Platinum and then all go for DS3.
  25. Jul 28, 2020
    No no and no. This is not it. Sure they made the game harder, but also more stoopid. **** standing stil and drinking estus flask forever, like the whole character pause and the delay is horrid. Idiotic. This was not the case in DS2 or i would definately have reacted. Also nerfed magic to very low in +games. Yeah thx. **** it, shouldnt have bought this ****. I have played DES enjoyed, DS1No no and no. This is not it. Sure they made the game harder, but also more stoopid. **** standing stil and drinking estus flask forever, like the whole character pause and the delay is horrid. Idiotic. This was not the case in DS2 or i would definately have reacted. Also nerfed magic to very low in +games. Yeah thx. **** it, shouldnt have bought this ****. I have played DES enjoyed, DS1 enjoyed and DS2 enjoyed, DS2 was the best, but not DS2SFS. DS2SFS is garbage, totally imballanced. Well this was my last buy from "From software" game. Thats all my money for you folks. Expand
  26. Aug 27, 2020
    The lore is not good like first game. You lose life every time you die until reach half. I like to use sword, but the poise of enemies is ridiculous, looks like you're attacking a rock and the enemies don't lose poise. The WORST part of this game is : the Estus flask is useless, you take so many time to use, and sometimes you die because it's very low. The final part, when you run or dodgeThe lore is not good like first game. You lose life every time you die until reach half. I like to use sword, but the poise of enemies is ridiculous, looks like you're attacking a rock and the enemies don't lose poise. The WORST part of this game is : the Estus flask is useless, you take so many time to use, and sometimes you die because it's very low. The final part, when you run or dodge of enemy YOU TAKE DAMAGE because you have to spend your souls in the adaptability if you wanna dodge or use Estus more quickly, and it's SO RIDICULOUS. I love all games of souls, but Dark Souls 2 it's not a good game. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 23, 2015
    Whether you're new to Dark Souls II or played it on older consoles, Scholar of the First Sin is worth revisiting. This PlayStation 4 collection features the original game, along with the three expansion packs.
  2. Jun 5, 2015
    Going backwards from Bloodborne feels almost archaic, and it takes some time to settle into that once familiar gameplay. However Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin offers the chance to revisit that still fantastic and familiar world with a slight twist to proceedings and a respectable face lift.
  3. Jun 2, 2015
    The changes have made this edition slightly more difficult, but the core of the game remains true to the superb game design of the original.