8.3

1. Jan 1, 2021
    DMC4 is very much a case of two steps forward three steps back in my eyes. The core gameplay the most important aspect of dmc is at its peak so far but the level design, boss design, story and structure are all inferior to dmc 3. Nero is the new protagonist on the block and gives a familiar play style to dante with his own weapon and moveset. The main differentiator however is instead ofDMC4 is very much a case of two steps forward three steps back in my eyes. The core gameplay the most important aspect of dmc is at its peak so far but the level design, boss design, story and structure are all inferior to dmc 3. Nero is the new protagonist on the block and gives a familiar play style to dante with his own weapon and moveset. The main differentiator however is instead of styles nero has a devil arm that can be used to grab demons from close or long range. His sword also has a rev feature if you hit the left trigger at the right time when hitting an enemy your next attack will be stronger. These small tweaks add plenty of depth and uniqueness to playing as nero. Dante makes his playable return and his ability to now switch all weapons, styles and guns on the fly adds huge versatility to playing dante giving extreme combo potential not possible in previous games even if dante has less varied weapons than dmc 3. The combat system tasks you taking out enemies as stylishly as possible and the ranking system does a great job pushing you towards this goal that is overly satisfying to accomplish. The story is bland which is fine but the only new character worth anything is nero who is clearly less sure of himself than dante but still likeable. The main problem with this game is the recycling of content present in the campaign. You basically play the game twice once as nero and then as dante in slightly remixed levels. You fight the same bosses three times in one run. While playing as dante is as awesome as ever I wish he had more unique stages. The game has high replay value with different difficulties and ranks but the main replaiability comes in the other playable characters. Vergil makes his return and is as cool as ever and Lady and Trish make their first playable appearances all with unique abilities. Lady utilises guns and a grappling hook with very little melee options while trish plays a bit like DMC1 Dante but more polished. The final challenge is the bloody palace which has a hundred floors and has a timing system where the more stylish you are the more time you will receive. This being playable with all characters gives you plenty to play around with. DMC4 gets the important stuff right but fumbles a bit in the details. Expand
  2. Dec 24, 2020
    Хорошее переиздание отличной игры, в 2020 конечно некоторые механики смотрятся устаревшими, но удовольствие от игры я получил. Постановка все такая же великолепная, персонажи колоритные, а от местных пейзажей все так же отвисает челюсть.Хорошее переиздание отличной игры, в 2020 конечно некоторые механики смотрятся устаревшими, но удовольствие от игры я получил. Постановка все такая же великолепная, персонажи колоритные, а от местных пейзажей все так же отвисает челюсть.
  3. Dec 5, 2020
    DMC is one of my favorite hack-n-slash series since the PS2 days,

DMC is one of my favorite hack-n-slash series since the PS2 days,

i have played and platinumed every one of them. So i can safely say that this one is fun if you play on easy or normal, because if you play on Dante Must Die it becomes absolutely abhorrent. From the worst lock-on system i have ever experienced since it seems to be completly random, to a camera that needs to be moved away from the enemies to "pacify" them, and a preposterous overtuning in mob aggro. Also the game seems like it was made with only Nero in mind and his Buster, for when you switch to Dante all of his stances seem useless except for Distort Real Impact and RoyalGuard distortion and canceling, when it comes to style points, especially since this last one is really hard to do and some say it requires close to a hundred hours to do consistently. Also maybe it's just me but the way you change stances could be handled better since i need to "stop" moving for a second to change stances. Regarding the Bloody Palace i just think that if some characters have Super suits then they should all have them and it should be 50 floors for example, its too lengthy and strenuous ,also on a more personal note, dying on floor 99 can break someone.

The bosses could be a bit more polished as well, for example Berial (in DMD) that's basically a melee only boss sometimes spams that aoe explosion, when in other modes he seems to only use it when he changes "phase" after being stunned. Some boss fights are well designed, like Credo for example.

The other aspects are positive, good graphics for the time, awsome rock music, and decent story. All in all it could have a better score for the superfluous expirience, but if you delve deep into difficulties and to platinum the game you get slapped across the face with the blantant flaws of the game.
  4. Sep 16, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Devil May Cry 4 volvió con una entrega que me tomo por sorpresa porque pensé que en lo jugable ya no se podía mejorar mas y que equivocado estaba, en esta entrega podemos cambiar los estilos de pelea de Dante con un solo botón al igual que las armas y de esta manera podremos ejecutar combos muy frenéticos.

La historia esta bien pero esta un poco trillada con eso de "salvar a la chica" y por supuesto tiene otro aspecto que no mencionare para no dar mas espoilers pero en general la historia esta hasta cierto punto correcta. Por otra parte se nota el salto grafico que tuvo la saga desde la entrega del Devil May Cry 3 a la actual.

Hay nuevos enemigos y el usar al nuevo personaje Nero con su brazo de demonio es genial, tanto así que hubiera querido que a Dante también se le diera algo similar. Aun así el usar a Dante es lo mejor del juego pero entre los puntos negativos tengo que decir que no me pareció acertado el regresar por los mismos escenarios y pelear básicamente contra los mismos jefes con los cuales peleo Nero.

En resumen el juego es un buen exponente de acción pero se quedo muy por debajo de Devil May Cry 3 en muchos aspectos.

NOTA: Es una buena excusa volver a jugar a este juego con una mayor resolución y con el uso de personajes como Lady que es en el único juego en el que hasta la fecha la podemos usar y con personajes como Vergil que es siempre espectacular y Trish que se agradece la variedad para volver a adentrarnos en esta gran aventura.
  5. Jul 19, 2020
    story: we have a change of protagonist and we are introduced to a lot of new things, but the essence and quality remains as the sparda lineage advances

gameplay: we have fewer variations of weapons and combos compared to previous games, some bosses also seem uninspired, but it is fun to master the combat style of nero and face some bosses that stand out. art: it is more beautiful

art: it is more beautiful than the previous games, from the graphics to the aesthetic of the scenarios and enemies.

music: maintains the quality standard of the franchise.
  6. Jul 6, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ЭТО ШЕДЕВР!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2020
    muito divertido o jogo recomendo, capcom obrigado por fazer jogos incriveis
  8. Jun 19, 2020
    8/10 - DMC4 es genial, el modo de juego alternando a los protagonistas (Nero y Dante) me parece bastante buena, por momentos se siente medio enredada pero en términos generales muy bien lograda (aunque en DMC5 corrigen muchos de estos «errores» y la historia es menos enredada pero sí más variada). Las batallas son brutales y la posibilidad de jugar con Trish, Lady y Vergil además de Nero y8/10 - DMC4 es genial, el modo de juego alternando a los protagonistas (Nero y Dante) me parece bastante buena, por momentos se siente medio enredada pero en términos generales muy bien lograda (aunque en DMC5 corrigen muchos de estos «errores» y la historia es menos enredada pero sí más variada). Las batallas son brutales y la posibilidad de jugar con Trish, Lady y Vergil además de Nero y Dante es un buen plus que tiene este título. Expand
  9. May 5, 2020
    Mlk que jogo horrível, mano do céu o sistema de luta é mais travado que tudo parece que o nero ta com 200 de ping, não consegui zerar, só gostei da história e do braço do nero mó daora ele brila.
  10. Apr 21, 2020
    Oh HD remastered games where'd we be without you? This year I truly believe that Capcom was testing to see which people enjoyed more. DMC or the original Devil May Cry franchise. I previously reviewed the remastered DMC game, and I loved it. I do enjoy the reboot. Playing Devil May Cry 4 Remastered or whatever the **** they call it seems a bit lacking in the content area. Where are myOh HD remastered games where'd we be without you? This year I truly believe that Capcom was testing to see which people enjoyed more. DMC or the original Devil May Cry franchise. I previously reviewed the remastered DMC game, and I loved it. I do enjoy the reboot. Playing Devil May Cry 4 Remastered or whatever the **** they call it seems a bit lacking in the content area. Where are my manors? Hello gamer B-rod here your demon hunting, duster coat wearing gaming reviewer to talk about my opinion on Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition.

Devil May Cry 4 has a story that has two characters Dante everyone's favorite badass quipping demon killing Son of Sparta, and Nero no ones favorite whiny complaining little girly man who cares about this chick who I think said a grand total of five words in the game. This game reminds me so much of Metal Gear Solid 2 with showing fans Dante, and having him present but ultimately having this kinda annoying character be the main focus. The story is about a good 4-6 hours long with some obvious twist and interesting villains. My problem with Nero is not that he can be whiny or has some bad dialog, but in the fact they make him act too much like Dante. Fans of the series all love Dante and in my opinion if you are going to make a game with a new character we don't need another Dante. For ****s sake his design is so close to Dante you could fool people saying that they are related. The story is crazy fun with its anime style of dialog and villains that monologue to death. (literally) Let us be honest who comes to Devil May Cry for the story? Quite a few actually myself included, but still everyone is clearly into...the graphics.

Like the transition? Me neither; yet that is how my reviews are structured so yeah. The game looks better than the 360, PS3 version, but not by much. I say it is because it didn't have much to improve on honestly. The only thing they did was make the colors pop more, which for a stylized game like this it is all you really need to do. The game sound is exactly what I said before anime as **** The game has always had corny dialog fans of the PS2 games can appreciate that. I personally love the soundtrack to this game. I have no clue what they call the music they play but this industrial fast paced metal music sounds ****ing awesome while you are hacking demons to bits. I always loved how this game has a M rating when it is very tame on the blood factor. Yes there is blood, and a couple of bad no, no words but nothing that in my opinion counts for a M rating.

The gameplay however is Devil May Cry. For those who may not be aware it is a fast paced hack n slash with timing based combos and no blocking. The fighting is varied enough with the enemies that when they mix up the enemies it brings a new feeling to the fighting. I love how each character feels different. Dante plays how you'd expect very focused on sword, gun and just weapon play. Nero combat is more focused on his demon arm which does cool ass **** with a simple press of the circle button. Vergil who is a playable character now is primarily sword based, and Trish and Lady are mainly gun based combat. The thing that makes me sad while Vergil, Trish and Lady are playable characters you just go through the story without cutscenes. I would really have had hoped for a individualized story even if it was only two hours apiece just to make it seem a bit more worth the 24 dollars. The games biggest and well known sin is the second half of the game is just the first half backwards. That is a huge disappointment and a real cheat, I didn't lose too much enjoyment out of my experience.

Overall to the folks who are huge Devil May Cry fans who plays that **** on the hardest difficulty well this game is for you. If you play every character, level them up all the way while on the hardest difficulty you have a good 20 hour game. Of course hardcore DMC player you already own it, but what about the casual Devil May Cry fans or non-fans? I'd say wait, you aren't missing anything special see if it becomes a free game with PS Plus or Live, or if it becomes a disk definitely rent this game it is fun enough for a rental. I have a hard time recommending non-hardcore fans to own this because the game has little replay value to it. I give it a 3/5. I leave with a question I personally have. Is Capcom going to make a DMC 2 or Devil May Cry 5?
  11. Feb 20, 2020
    If you haven't played DMC4 this is your chance, while it's not perfect, it carries on the tradition of devil may cry with over the top action, epic boss fights, not to mention 5 different playable characters.
  12. Feb 15, 2020
    Combates a la orden del día, mas fáciles que los del tercer juego pero muy disfrutables, el apartado gráfico lo veo igual al del ps3...pero supongo que no tengo buen ojo para distinguir esas cosas, si te gusta el hack & slash..es indispensable...
  13. Feb 11, 2020
    Overall a great game but when nearing the end it gets more repetitive and lazy and feels rushed.
  14. Jan 18, 2020
    Devil May Cry 4 is just simply amazing the comfort is genius. and the game introduced My favourite playable character in any game Nero . Thing that keep this came back from greatness is that it feels not finished . Lucky the next game Improved it all
  15. Nov 8, 2019
    DMC 4 is brutal. So many characters to play with, great story, bloody palace is great, the graphics are stunning after all this time. So many hours of fun.
  16. Oct 26, 2019
    Me pareció muy bueno, lo que me interesa de estos juegos mas que nada es su jugabilidad primero que todo y se le agregaron varias cosas mas de las anteriores entregas y eso es lo que me gustaba, atacar de muchas maneras posibles, eso si al final se vuelve repetitivo lo unico que no me gusto lo demas genial!
  17. Apr 25, 2019
    How i love this game! Thanks Capcom for this music, style, characters and faSSSt gameplay.
  18. Mar 20, 2019
    At last, Devil May Cry that is actually playable in 2019. Ironically the game remains almost completely the same but these small changes are what make difference. New character Nero is perfect blend of Dante’s useful abilities. Nero’s unique trick, right hand, is fun and strategically brilliant. He can grab any enemy and do some super technique that almost always useful. Dante is stillAt last, Devil May Cry that is actually playable in 2019. Ironically the game remains almost completely the same but these small changes are what make difference. New character Nero is perfect blend of Dante’s useful abilities. Nero’s unique trick, right hand, is fun and strategically brilliant. He can grab any enemy and do some super technique that almost always useful. Dante is still jack of all trades with his numerous completely useless weapons and styles. Dante skillset remains almost unchanged, the only impactful novelty is that devil trigger now amplifies skills (yes, spam stinger to win). Guns are still useless (obviously expect for the enemies that can’t be killed without guns). Enemy design is perfect: DMC4 features both cannon fodder to mess around and feel godlike and demons that requires specific smart approach. Bosses design is splendid too, they are not irritating perfect dodge machines but rather think before you act challenges.

What is more important for me is that game finally became fluid and dynamic. Moronic target and dodge system somehow is irritating no more. Banal “Speed” upgrade makes me say wow. Air combat is finally achievable by Nero. Crosshair around target enemy is example of oh so simple but so valuable improvement.

Story wise DMC4 is good old over-the-top vulgar Devil May Cry. And it’s not a good thing for me personally because I hate this total disregard for realism, corny character of Dante and stupid goofy plots. Yet I learned to ignore it and for most of the people… well many even like it so what do I know. Though I know one thing - I like Nero. He seems to me far more plausible than clown Dante.

In the end, DMC4 is the first DMC that I put ahead (slasher wise) of God of War series. But it’s still worse than masterpiece DmC: Devil May Cry. Why? Because DmC features ten times more moves, percent of useful moves is far greater there (just remind you that 80% of Dante skills in DMC4 are still garbage), air combat is better and DmC has normal dodge system. But all in all, DMC4 is the game I wholeheartedly like and enjoyed playing (Special Edition graphic enhancement were a great help too).

19. Mar 6, 2019
    Too button mashy for me. Gameplay lacks variety. I like the graphical design of the game though. CAPCOM PLEASE REMASTER MEGA MAN X.
  20. Feb 7, 2019
    muito repetitivo enjoa rapido !! mas tem combos legais !! a os 3 primeiros jogos são bem melhores !! ainda bem que peguei barato essa versao pq nao valeu a pena !!!!
  21. Feb 5, 2019
    the game is old. and it didnt aged very well for me. its fun as hell as Dante, but, sorry nero, not as fun as the main character.
    the bosses are cool, but there are like 4 of them. and you have to play it as nero, than as dante, and then as lady, then as trish, then as virgil (if you decide to play the dlcs)
    the best part for me is the aewsomely fun wepons, and that is the part that
    the best part for me is the aewsomely fun wepons, and that is the part that makes nero not so fun for me. there is 3 weapons for him. lookat the dante's pandora's box. this only weapon has more weapns on it than the whole nero's arsenal.
    but for an afternoom's fun it's pretty enjoyable tho
  22. Nov 20, 2018
    Very comfy game. It's fun to style on demons. Nero still my main. Vergil is fun to use tho.
  23. Oct 23, 2018
    O jogo possui muitos problemas o que estraga sua diversão e gameplay.
    A camera e pessima a jogabilidade não consegue fluir em certos momentos... A musica acaba sendo enjoativa e a camera sua posição varias vezes desfavoravel me fez ter dor de cabeça, tive que parar quase de 10 em 10 min para poder prosseguir jogando.
    Os graficos são bonitos (para a epoca), a hostoria otima e os
    O jogo possui muitos problemas o que estraga sua diversão e gameplay.
    Os graficos são bonitos (para a epoca), a hostoria otima e os personagens cativantes e você fica querendo saber mais... porem esses problemas na jogabilidade que e limitada deixam o jogo em pessima posição.
    Os graficos são bonitos porem parece que a Capcom só queria fazer um devil maycry e pronto sem observar os detalhes, esquecendo que o fã gosta dos detalhes minuciosos...olha uma sena e diz p#%* que foda! Mas deixou a desejar... isso não e PS1 ou PS2! o personagem toma espadada e sai um esguicho de sangue de filme brasileiro de terror de 4º categoria e não a ferida (pelomenos uma ferida sicatrizando, etc) pessimo defeitos... Minha nota só não foi vermelho pois a historia e os personagens me fizeram querer continuar jogando....
  24. Jul 24, 2018
    As my first Devil May Cry game I am thoroughly impressed and can't wait to play the earlier games and the newly announced DMC 5. With 5 characters to play in total I can't wait to try all the new combos with each character.
  25. Jun 23, 2018
    Main characters

Nero: Nero is for the most part simple. Nero's Revolver isn't something special, his normal shots suck and his charged shot is awesome and very effective. Nero's sword is pretty easy to use, however it has some serious questionable input choices. For starter, a move that requires you to do backward-forward and attack is frustrating and it comes to actually use it in
    Main characters

Nero: Nero is for the most part simple.
    actually use it in battle. 2nd is the awkward delay needed to perform a certain moves. One GOOD Ariel move requires
    HALF a second delay to initiate it. 3rd is that some moves are just too damn hard to pull off.
    One is "Table Hopper" which is the only way to properly dodge in this game requires a millisecond reaction time -_-.
    To top this off, Nero's basic moves are ...slow... UNLESS you hit the "Exceed" in just the right time to make it more
    efficient to use. again it requires an insane muscle memory to "Exceed" Nero's sword in every hit.
    Nero's DT isn't a big deal, that goes for his "evil bringer" which isn't something special TBH.

Dante: I played DMC3, and Dante was really fun to play with. He was simple to use, easy to learn some of the advance stuff
    and he never felt too hard to play with him. DMC4 brings with with a simple copy and paste and thinks that stuffing with you
    with 6 weapons is a piece of cake. In DMC4 , Dante feels slow as well even on Turbo, and his weapons aren't that great against
    some enemies.
    His style system in DMC3 was simple to use because they didn't choose to throw you everything and rather
    choose you style per-mission, obvious design choice. In DMC4, you always feel like you need to switch style because you need to
    use a specific move that is really useful and mostly end up pressing the wrong style making you look like a fool.
    In DMC3, most average players will choose Tricker because it allows you to dodge easily without struggling to found where
    your joystick needs to be in order to perform a roll animation. In DMC4 , you're always want to make the best out of Dante,
    but his so hard to make him useful in most boss fights that I would rather stick to Nero.

Vergil : The only character with an efficient moveset and fast pace compare to others. Because his not much changed in DM3,
    his DMC4 is easy to use and have a little understand of how to perform so sick moves. yes , he is OP compare to others, but this
    game very hard in an unforgiving situations.

Enemies
    most generic enemies are fun to combo, until you stumble upon some enemies with a serious flawed design choice. for starters , alot of them like to block you attacks with giant ice or a shield.
    some enemies have annoying super armor during their attack animations. some just don't want to be "comboed" any-longer so they
    be like **** you ,take my attack instead".
    And lets not forget the damn flying swords or the stupid plant enemies that like to fuse with a generic ones.
    When they fuse, the **** plant with randomly wave his noodle arms regardless of the situation.
    And if you think that's enough how about creating one of the most annoying enemies in the game known as blitz.
    This **** doesn't like being punched in the face, so every time you try to slash him you get zapped by his lighting
    armor. so guess what you have to shoot the bastard to make his shield weak enough. Uh , but wait, he dashes around like an ****
    then randomly popping up on you just to get zapped by his lighting armor. And when he gets into rage mode, you're ****ed. He'll
    make you waste your entire DT bar and half of you life will be depleted for sure. **** the enemy design choice in this game.
    I would much rather prefer the enemies in DMC3 than this ****

Boss fights (and movement in general): boss fights are actually pretty fun to play against... that's when you realize the game
    has some serious issues when it comes to movement in general. alot of times you will need to use Ariel combos to damage the
    enemy. when it's time to back off because the enemy decides to use super move, you will find that there's no move to simply dodge
    or dash around. Unless you decide you play as good old Trickster Dante, you will realize that none of the other characters
    have such feature. I don't know about you , but if a hack and slash game doesn't provide me with a good way to dodge
    enemy incoming attacks, then I consider you a bad hack and slash game.
    In DMC3, most average players would pick Trickster style because the basic roll is ultimately useless and Vergil can
    use dark slayer style to teleport away from the enemy if needed (But in DMC4 he can't).
    So often I personally find myself struggling to run away from the blazing **** that shouts "fIrE" like an idiot.
    Overall It's no wonder why the games feels so unpolished unlike his older brother DMC3. And the high skill gap is ridiculous from what it was in DMC3 as well. That's why I give this game a low score. because I'm sick of finding flaws in a game that really looks good.
  26. Mar 14, 2018
    WOWOWOWOW Im in love with this game best DMC ever !!! though i wish there was more dante and nero or the option to at least play the story just as dante or just as nero. I bought this on ps4 with the bundle it comes with and im not complaining this is amazing !!! the game comes with a variety of characters to play with and loads of options also... And damn vergil is so damn fun and OP iWOWOWOWOW Im in love with this game best DMC ever !!! though i wish there was more dante and nero or the option to at least play the story just as dante or just as nero. I bought this on ps4 with the bundle it comes with and im not complaining this is amazing !!! the game comes with a variety of characters to play with and loads of options also... And damn vergil is so damn fun and OP i just adore playing with him !!! Gameplay feels clean and intensive better than dmc 3 and the story and nero are very interesting and well made also the graphics on the ps4 dont feel much outdated at all and look very great !! Overall you get me just try this game out and see why is needs a lot of love !!! Expand
  27. Jul 23, 2017
    Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition certainly was a surprise for many waiting for any news of the beloved series. Going through a remaster of the original three games, a reboot version that many fans threw away and it seemed that the series would be in a state of limbo forever. With DmC and DMC4 getting remasters, its clear that Capcom is testing the waters to see which version is more wanted.Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition certainly was a surprise for many waiting for any news of the beloved series. Going through a remaster of the original three games, a reboot version that many fans threw away and it seemed that the series would be in a state of limbo forever. With DmC and DMC4 getting remasters, its clear that Capcom is testing the waters to see which version is more wanted. So how does DMC4 SE hold up?

Well it's not much of a difference from the previous. Consoles can play it at 60 FPS to the previous console's 30 FPS, which is paramount for a hack n slash game, the graphics, three new characters, new costumes for Nero and Dante and some features like Turbo mode and that's it. With three new characters, I was expecting far more interesting features than what is now given, as Trish, Lady and Vergil join the fray, making DMC4 have 5 characters. While this sounds great on paper, it struggles greatly with modern times AND having depth. DMC3 SE got away with being better with adding Vergil because Vergil had great movesets and abilities to compensate. Vergil in DMC4 is a upgraded version of this and is one of best fighters in the series when looking at damage output mixed with combos. His concentration meter is perfect for his calm and coolness and he deals massive damage when in his Devil Trigger form.

Nero and Dante stay the same, and while I respect Capcom for staying consistent to the original as a result, the limitations of the past rears its ugly head. The closer part of a decade for DMC4 does not always hold up well; the backtracking and camera issues are still there and lazily designed. Dante still is limited unlike 3 and the reboot version and Nero still only has his original abilities. Trish and Lady are two halves to Dante's whole, where one lacks in one major component that dramatically afflicts the game with a restricted playstyle as opposed to a versatile one. Trish focuses more on melee and Lady more on guns and as result are more like gimmicks than actually balanced styles like Vergil. It's an absolute shame this is even allowed because of how long this wait was for a remastered version, it honestly feels like Trish and Lady were cut ideas that never made it to the final product release in 2008.

Despite the additions, DMC4SE struggles on rearing its old problems and refusing to fix them for players. Fans will buy this and play this with no problem, but for those that still have not played the series, playing this will give you an impression that it's incomplete or lacking. Not reworking the story for Vergil in DMC3SE was acceptable, it wasn't meant to be the case back then due to the issues the original release faced with its difficulty, but with 7 years and plenty of money, Capcom lazily have compiled the game, reskinned it with extra goodies and did nothing for the issues it previously had.
    DMC4SE is still a good deal and is a good game, but it's definitely has seen its age and contrasting that with the new characters that mostly feel gimmicky than actually good and fully versatile you can't help to feel if Capcom is playing its fanbase's heart strings for a new entry in the series with a potential cash grab.
  28. Jul 10, 2017
    This review coming from a hardcore Devil May Cry fan who played the trilogy more time than any other games!
    Dmc4 is the WORST DMC out there not just because Nero and Kirye, and the very bad story (again somedy wants to be Sparda blablabla),And Dante too, he looks like mature but he acting like a teen boy who is 18 year old, and he's voice sounds like a 18 year old puberty boy. while i agree its fit for DMC3 but not DMC4. DMC4 dante should be the same actor as the DMC1 or DMC2 was. because its strange DMC1 Dante was looked like mature he acted more mature than DMC4 Dante but still DMC1 dante was COOL, and fun too! but i think even DMC2 Dante was way COOLER than DMC4 dante was! and DMC1 and DMC2 dante concept (hair, cloth,face,eyes) was better than DMC4 dante! DMC4 Dante its looked like a joke with that stupid boots and like a smiliar dmc3 jacket....even he's face and eyes looked like similar dmc3 dante.I hated the Big boobs, yes you read it right, the Lady looked like normal in DMC3, and Trish looked like normal in DMC1 even in dmc2 lucia boobs was normal, but in DMC4 both Trish,and Lady BOOBS are bigger than they heads, its funny, and ugly, yes a aware this is a japanese culture blablabla **** but tell me why the old trilogy girls was looked normal? the side characters is not even deserve to mention.

The music, the music wasnt that bad but the weakest of the series! in every way!
    The gameplay: it wasnt bad at all, this is the only thing it was good, but still not good enough! like the old trilogy was! This whole game was like BAD FANFICTION.. what i would like to see in the next game is more serious story similar like dmc2 was, and more mature dante like dmc2 was, playing in the future where the lady and trish died, and even maybe humanity too,
  29. Jun 22, 2017
    Este es un buen juego, aunque sea un remaster, el añadido de Vergil es interesante, unas mecanicas nuevas para este personaje y lo demas si es recicle de Dante.
    Pero los DMC siempre han sido divertidos, es una lastima que hoy en dia, se hable mas de bayonetta, cuando DMC es anterior, quisiera que apereciera una continuacion o un reboot de esta serie de DMCs no la de ninja theory, no es por odio, si no que creci con esta saga.
  30. Nel
    Apr 27, 2017
    Great game for anyone interested at all in the DMC serie. The game has great graphics, and the controls works great. The story is nothing spectacular, but it can be funny. There is plenty of replayability to improve your score or get more moves, so you can literally spend 50 plus hours in this game if you are a high achiever
  31. Nov 16, 2015
    Feel like replaying the same 4 or 5 missions three times over in one playthrough?Then this is for you.

There are essentially 4 or 5 missions as the 'main' character Nero. After you finish this, you literally replay all the same missions in reverse order as Dante. Then if you aren't bored of this second replay, you must then defeat all the same bosses a third time during the final mission.

Good if you're a fan, I guess? But there are far superior action and hack&slash titles out these, ones that don't recycle the same 5 levels too.
  32. Nov 13, 2015
    Pre Ordered it 30 days on psn before it was released, i was so hyped , the whole time
    and i was not dissapointed
    ITS **** AWESOME
    but.. i beated all of it in 3 days
  33. Nov 6, 2015
    The user score for this game is higher than the critics, and for good reason. Goes to show how a fan-favorite can truly stay a fan-favorite despite what the media says. Devil May Cry 4 is a must play for any Platinum Games, Action games or Devil May Cry fan. If you never played this game before, then there's no reason for you not to try Devil May Cry 4 on the PS4. It has a much higherThe user score for this game is higher than the critics, and for good reason. Goes to show how a fan-favorite can truly stay a fan-favorite despite what the media says. Devil May Cry 4 is a must play for any Platinum Games, Action games or Devil May Cry fan. If you never played this game before, then there's no reason for you not to try Devil May Cry 4 on the PS4. It has a much higher framerate, smoother visuals, few extra characters with their own abilities and skill trees and the same old over-the-top action and story.

Does it feel any different? No. There are very few actual tweaks from the first game, and I think it's best that way. Hitting great combos really does feel satisfying, and with the absurd amount of content in the game including the almost impossible amount of trophies to obtain will keep this game an endless challenge to master.
  34. Oct 29, 2015
    A new edition of an old game with more characters just like DMC3:SE. Except this time its based on an old game not as good as DMC3 but introduces 3 new characters instead of 1. It still has all the flaws of the original. Your enjoyment of this game and the original DMC4 hinges on how you feel about running around in the same environments and having to face repeated boss fights. InA new edition of an old game with more characters just like DMC3:SE. Except this time its based on an old game not as good as DMC3 but introduces 3 new characters instead of 1. It still has all the flaws of the original. Your enjoyment of this game and the original DMC4 hinges on how you feel about running around in the same environments and having to face repeated boss fights. In addition, the game doesn't perform as well as the original. Despite these flaws, the game is still tons of fun. The combat is the best it has been imo. Dante was really fun in the original once you got used to his style switching and some of the weapons he later got and Nero was a good character for beginners while still having some depth in his combat. In this edition, you will get them both along with new characters that feel different enough compared to each other. Besides that, the story was alright, not as good as DMC3 and lacked and awesome antagonist like said game. Its 5 playable characters and bloody palace mode will give the game plenty of replayability if you enjoy the combat the DMC series is known for. The combat is really good and really fun but may need some getting used to (especially Dante). Expand
  35. Oct 9, 2015
    Not my favorite as DMC 3 and the new DMC are both my favorites. The gameplay is okay, but the targeting is a bit loose. The bosses and a few enemies in the latter stages are particularly cheap though. Playing as Vergil is still awesome as well as Trish. Bloody Palace salvages the rest of the campaign. Overall, it's not my favorite, but it's playable.
  36. Sep 8, 2015

Good: * Solid gameplay. Precise hitbox, precise timing, precise animations. Versatile. Variant. Challenging (even for real- non casual- gamers). Rewarding. Inmersive. FLAWLESS! *Solid story. *Likeable characters. *5 badass playable characters: Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish and Lady!!! *Nice graphics *Nice music/sound effects *Tons of unlockables *Heavy replayability value.

Good:
    *Solid story.
    *Likeable characters.
    *5 badass playable characters: Dante, Vergil, Nero, Trish and Lady!!!
    *Nice graphics
    *Nice music/sound effects
    *Tons of unlockables
    *Heavy replayability value.

Bad:
    *Repetition of bosses and levels.
    *"Sandbox" syndrome.
    "Unforgiving with casuals.

And even with all it's flaws IT'S STILL A 10/10... why don't you try comparing this review with the one I did on DmC? There is no point in doing it, that's why! This is even sicker than the standard edition... pity they didn't listen the community in regards of the need of more missions with different designs... the reviews on this game would skyrocket...
  37. Aug 13, 2015
    Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition is an amazing game nonetheless, the graphical improvements are notable and the smooth 60 frames per second just make the game experience so good that you can´t stop playing it.
    The story of DMC4:SE is interesting and truly captivating and emotional, some missions in the game don´t make much sense but it´s nothing too bad so we can let it slide. The combat and gameplay are fast and exciting and are a joy to play, there is so much variety and possible combos that the game feels new every time you play it. Special Edition comes with the addition of three playable characters, Trish, Lady and Vergil, there was a lot of effort put in to these characters and we can see it, each one of them has different move sets and a large variety of combos and weapons to their disposition.
    My only issues with this game are the automatic cameras, it's so weird because there are sections were you can control the camera but then that control is taken away from you and you have to adapt in a split second for the automatic camera, the second issue are the puzzles in the game, they make no sense at all and my third and final issue are some of the boss fights, basically you´ll have to defeat the same bosses twice, once with Nero and once with Dante that was a lazy choice from the producers and I didn't like it.
    Lastly, I wouldn't cal it an issue, With these new playable characters they could have added different cutscenes but instead we get a different beginning for each character and a different ending, with no cutscenes through the mission, that was so lazy from Capcom.
    Nevertheless at only 24,99 euros, this game is a must buy for veteran fans of the series, and even for newcomers, pick this game up.
  38. Jul 27, 2015
    Devil may cry 4 special edition is great and all but it could have done so much more. I love the game and have been playing the hell outta it but still slightly disappointed DMC3 Special edition still has more content and I wish they looked at that game and use some of the ideas from that.

The positives 5 playable characters Dante, Nero, Vergil, Lady and Trish Legendary dark knight

The positives
    5 playable characters Dante, Nero, Vergil, Lady and Trish
    Legendary dark knight mode (Spawns huge waves of enemies)
    Hours of game lasting
    Turbo mode (game speeds up by 20%)
    Costumes for each character
    Autosave
    Updated visuals
    60fps (kinda had this already though)

Negatives
    Going through the same missions for every character.
    DLC ( Quick unlocks that should really just be a cheat code.)
    Its pretty much the same game with new characters.

What they could have done to make it better.
    Add more costumes ( I had my hopes up for a DMC1 Dante costume but that went out the window)

Change the background music for the new characters (Im pretty bored of the same music DMC3 done this so i dont know why this didnt)

New enemies or a new boss ( Like DMC3 the jester bosses they should've done something like that.)

Regardless I love Devil may cry 4 special edition and I would recommend it to the fans who have been waiting for a classic DMC game ever since the reboot.
  39. Jul 22, 2015
    It's nothing special and not worth the money. The new additions are just not balanced as good as the old characters and the game gets stale soon. It's just the same over and over again. No go.
  40. Jul 19, 2015
    The game exceeded all my expectation.

The game is action paced and surprisingly deep for an hack and slash. The characters are interesting and have a very nice design. The new playable characters are a great add-on. That being said, the game has the option to pay for upgrades (blue orbs, 300k red crystals, difficulties). Note that these can be unlocked during gameplay but the idea
    The game exceeded all my expectation.

The new playable characters are a great add-on. That being said, the game has the option to pay for upgrades (blue orbs, 300k red crystals, difficulties). Note that these can be unlocked during gameplay but the idea left a bad taste in my mouth.
  41. Jul 5, 2015
    Another great game polished up even more. Played back in the day on 360 and after not playing for a few years its like new again. 1 of the best action games out there. Runs smooth very short load times. Best game you can buy for $25. Im the super devil play it or burn heathens.
  42. Jul 1, 2015
    I am a huge DMC fan and did love the new DmC: Devil May Cry but this brings back hell of old memories for me. The moment when Nero was running through streets, fighting the demons as Kyrie was singing in the background, waiting upon for Nero to arrive; god that gave me chills. The graphics still look goood to this day though not a "Next Gen" term. It's very acceptable to look at and runsI am a huge DMC fan and did love the new DmC: Devil May Cry but this brings back hell of old memories for me. The moment when Nero was running through streets, fighting the demons as Kyrie was singing in the background, waiting upon for Nero to arrive; god that gave me chills. The graphics still look goood to this day though not a "Next Gen" term. It's very acceptable to look at and runs buttery smooth. The gameplay hasn't really changed all that much except with a few new playable characters like Vergil, Lady, and Trish with their own movesets that gives more replayability to the game. Plus new game mode and skins gives the game more rendition to go back over and over again. If you are looking for a Hack/Slash game on the 8th generation or go back into old DMC style fighting then this is your game.

Ps. The micro-transactions ruins the game experience but not a whole lot
  43. Jun 28, 2015
    How I miss the glory days of the old Dante! This brings back so many memories of playing the previous installments on my PS2! I've enjoyed every new game in the series even DmC.
    GamePlay - What can I say. . . It's absolutely awesome! Fun and addictive hack n slash action that will bring you back to the days when this genre was quite popular. A rewarding combat system that grades you based on your style, the new Legendary Dark Knight mode to challenge your skill and new characters to keep to slashing for hours!
    Overall: If you miss and enjoy the hack and slash action, then this is the game for you! With new content, upgraded visuals and new characters you will definitely get your money's worth with a more than reasonable price tag.
    (Also, Vergil is back! Come on!)
  44. Jun 25, 2015
    DMC4SE is even better than I imagined. A general menu and orb transfering innovation is great! And, ofcource, there are 3 new characters , one of which motivates me not to leave the game forever .
  45. Jun 24, 2015
    The original DMC4 combat wise was the deepest stylish action game on the market 7 years ago and the only game that came out since then that could rival it was bayonetta, but in my opinion DMC offers a faster gameplay with more freedom.

Capcom did a fantastic job at porting the game to next gen hardware, but they didn't stop there they also added 3 new playable characters(some of them like lady and trish are long time dreams coming true to me with their character specific movesets) to the roster that are just as diverse or more so than nero was in the original game for the asking price of 25 bucks, which is more than just fair considering other remaster that offer far less for more.

While the limited budget and the rushed out of the gate story campaign remains the same(meaning that you play through the same level with dante and nero, only with different enemy waves and some added chapter specific features to dante) story wise this game still is a worthy even if underwhelming successors of the DMC franchise that would have deserved proper continuation at a proper finances. But now the chance is here for us to show our support for this genre and if you can afford it please do so.

If you are new to the genre keep in mind that these types of games require many hours to master just like fighting games(like street fighter for example).
  46. Jun 24, 2015
    Story - 5 - Reason: Let's be real, story telling has never been Capcom's strong suite. Even at it's strongest, from Breath of Fire to Resident Evil 4 to Megaman to Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's story telling has only ever been functional at best, serving to at least let us know why we're shooting, slashing and bashing the things we kill. Devil May Cry's story is no different, nor was DmC's.Story - 5 - Reason: Let's be real, story telling has never been Capcom's strong suite. Even at it's strongest, from Breath of Fire to Resident Evil 4 to Megaman to Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's story telling has only ever been functional at best, serving to at least let us know why we're shooting, slashing and bashing the things we kill. Devil May Cry's story is no different, nor was DmC's. Devil May Cry 4 has interesting aspects. Nero's connection to Dante and Virgil....yea that's about it and that's if you cared about Nero ever, at all. Many didn't. So yea. It's the same story and the additional stories of Virgil, Trish and Lady are def a cut and paste with no in game changes, so that 5 is actually kinda generous

Graphics - 6 - Reason: Because while it is an HD remake, it still maintains some of the plainness of the original. That's not to say the graphics suck. They don't. And the frame rate is as excellent as ever, but it's not next gen graphics, and since the game was re-released on a next gen console, it has to be graded as such. And in some places, you could tell it was old generation as the pixels were noticeable.

Gameplay - 9 - Reason: Devil May Cry, original and reboot, have tight fast paced gameplay. Period. Gameplay that allows less skilled players to still enjoy the game's content, yet rewards players that want to go that extra mile and really rack up the style points and show off some creative combos. This is where DMC/DmC's bread and butter is. Not in it's characters (which we'll get to) or it's story. The only thing that stopped me from giving it a 10 is the incredibly wonky angles that you sometimes have to deal with. I'd like to say that these were an oversight, but they weren't, Capcom just genuinely enjoys being a tool to it's customers.

Level Design - 7 - Reason: Pretty linear. Little exploration. Like the story, functional, serving to give you a place to hack and slash and doing little to add to the story. The scenery can be pretty amazing, hence the 7, but over all, the pace at which you blow through it, the (once again) horrid angles and camera control and the lazily impplemented back tracking stop it from being great. On the note of back tracking, however, it's foolish to assume they would have fixed that as it would take a near overhaul. I can see docking the same amount for having it int he first place, but to dock it because they didn't "fix" it, *cough cough* Gamespot, literally makes you an idiot, not for life, just when it comes to this game.

Character Design - 8 - Reason: Characters are the opposite side of the coin for story. That's why I end with it. Nero is pretty stereotypical and forgettable. He's functional as a personality, but he's a blast to control. In fact, he's pretty close to OP with that devil arm of his. Typical of Capcom to give the most power to a punk. Original Dante is....well....original Dante. He's almost as divisive a personality as n00b Dante, but...he's Dante, and actually I think he's at his best in this version, as a mature, well seasoned warrior. Trish and Lady are interesting and not your typical helpless females, which I love. And they're a blast to play as, but in al reality, Virgil is the selling point of this entire game. By far the most charismatic and interesting character created in the Devil May Cry franchise. Hands down. Different than Socio Virgil, he is power and control personified in that world and is the only character created that could carry a series himself. Gameplay for him is through the rough and wildly satisfying

Overall - 8 - Reason: Actually an 8.5. I gave the game it's score based on what I thought the original game was and if they made any improvements. The answer is yes. The game has flaws left in it, and I docked for those flaws as I would have last time, but the fact is that it is a genuinely better experience than the original. Maybe not enough to convert those never interested, but yes enough to pacify those who enjoy and even get some new comers who have never experienced. The game is a well crafted game overall and deserves a positive score. Thus I have given it one.
  47. Jun 24, 2015
    This game ist perfect in my opinion, i played all Devil May Cry Games even the last one, and this is by far the best Devil May Cry i loved it on the Playstation 3 and love it even more on the Playstation 4 the Graphics and gameplay looks better and Vergil is just a badass, all hail the Demon King.
  48. Jun 24, 2015
    Превосходное переиздание культовой игры, 5 играбельных персонажей это очень сильно, ровно так как и новый вид игры, безусловно один из лучших слэшеров за всю историю, новые режимы игры так же не могут оставить игрока без положительных эмоций, Devil May Cry 4 special edition отличная игра, которую стоит попробовать всем.Превосходное переиздание культовой игры, 5 играбельных персонажей это очень сильно, ровно так как и новый вид игры, безусловно один из лучших слэшеров за всю историю, новые режимы игры так же не могут оставить игрока без положительных эмоций, Devil May Cry 4 special edition отличная игра, которую стоит попробовать всем.
  49. Jun 23, 2015
    This game is technically perfect, the frames transit smoothly, every command INSTANTLY responds to your prompt and looking SSStylish, not only because of the sheer amount of combat-related content packed into it, but also because of the massive replay value you get if you try to play all the characters and see what works.
    The first playthrough will take you 10 hours, but that is when the
    The first playthrough will take you 10 hours, but that is when the true fun of the game begins, when you increase the dufficulty. The game then forces you to utilize your massive arsenal and when you do, when you learn, the victory is extremely satisfying and rewarding
    Unlike the Souls games and Bloodborne where there in only one mechanic for you to memorize, DMC4SE gives you a huge arsenal of weapons and combo freedom for your pleasure only.
  50. Jun 23, 2015
    With 5 playable characters DMC4SE has the highest number of playable characters even surpassing Bayonetta2.
    Featuring technical combat that is only as deep and rewarding as your gaming might, and with extra features like turbo and Legendary Dark Knight mode that allows a horde of enemies for you to plough through while looking like the most stylish thing ever, DMC4 SE is the pinnacle of technical hack and slash sharing it's throne with Bayoneta2 or maybe even arguably better.
    And at a cheap price of $25 the deal is all win-win.
  51. Jun 23, 2015
    This is a pretty solid re-introduction of DMC4. I've been playing the original for hundreds of hours, and the revised version has a lot of small improvements and adjustments making it a perfect game in the series, including more fluid animation, game modes, textures and particles, etc, all working flawlessly. And of course, playing new characters is the most fun. I would recommend this toThis is a pretty solid re-introduction of DMC4. I've been playing the original for hundreds of hours, and the revised version has a lot of small improvements and adjustments making it a perfect game in the series, including more fluid animation, game modes, textures and particles, etc, all working flawlessly. And of course, playing new characters is the most fun. I would recommend this to play anyone - both new to the series, wanting to experience something new, and to the veterans, searching for new challenges. People still do upload their awesome combo videos on Youtube, and I, as a part of small but strong community, will support the series no matter what. Thanks for this, Capcom. Expand
  52. Jun 24, 2015

Generally favorable reviews - based on 28 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 21, 2015
    The combat system is still great, and the new characters are a good addition, but Capcom didn't work too much on the graphics, nor on the structural problems of this fourth chapter in the action stylish saga created by Kamiya. Still a must have for action fans who didn't play the original, of course.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 5, 2015
    While the game feels padded and the animation creaky, DMC4's crisp combat wins through. [Sept 2015, p.95]
  3. Aug 17, 2015
    The game is as fun and challenging as it was back in the day, and the updates and additions are sweet enough to make even stingy DMC fans shell out.