8.8

1. Sep 21, 2018
    The music is horrible. It sounds like it's from 1990 and there's not much of it.

It really clashes with the other aspects of the game, too. It's like playing Mario Odyssey while listening to the music from NES Mario Bros.

The game is very slow and repetitive otherwise. Skip it.
  2. Sep 22, 2018
    Meh. I did expect so much more out of this title. It has got part of its old charm but honestly there are so many ways it could have been improved compared to its predecessors (other than the graphics). It still does a terrible job at explaining how things work (I often found myself googling stuff) and so far the story and character development have not been so interesting as to push meMeh. I did expect so much more out of this title. It has got part of its old charm but honestly there are so many ways it could have been improved compared to its predecessors (other than the graphics). It still does a terrible job at explaining how things work (I often found myself googling stuff) and so far the story and character development have not been so interesting as to push me forward into the game. Unfortunately it's too late to get a refund so I'll keep playing it but if I could switch it with some other title I would. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2018
    WoW, this game is not more then the worse game I ever played.
    random combat systen
    really bad balanced boss fights
    much to easy in the normal fights
    backtracking
    boring grinding
    horrible story (after 40 h)
  4. Oct 28, 2018
    Game is slow.
    You don't get to attribute points to unlock skill every level because each cap requires several points, which make the gameplay feels linear.
    The combat gets boring, music repetitive, no character creation like old DQ, no monster capturing like old DQ either from first 20 hours so I guess it's not in the game as well.
    Just a banal game, would be a seven if it costs $5.

1. games(TM)
    Nov 1, 2018
    Disappointingly by the books, but has charm. [Issue#206, p.82]
  2. Oct 29, 2018
    The sheer density of content in the main quest means it will take a staggering amount of time to complete. Compounded with some entertaining and charmingly written side-quests, this journey breaks the 100 hour mark easily. There can be a few too many instances of catering to the lowest common denominator that even the hard mode modifiers can't fix, but if it means more people can enjoy this amazing game, then so be it. The only thing holding back what could be almost a masterpiece for the genre is its terrible soundtrack.
  3. Sep 30, 2018
    Dragon Quest XI brings in the old to the new, but any doubt I had about it may be too old-school for its own good were thrown out of the window - this kind of JRPG belongs in the modern era gaming.